Forum Settings
Forums

Do you only watch anime in sub 100% of the time?

New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jun 3, 2022 8:44 PM

Apr 2020
Wether it's anime or like just tv series, i prefer watching shows in the original language with subtitles, anime actually tbh is more bearable to watch dubbed than live action stuff cause at least you don't have to suffer through lips not syncing up at all.

I watch 90% of anime I have watched I've seen subbed but while starting out i watched a few in dubs like death note and cowboy bebop, but like more recently I did watch kekkai sensen in dubs cause it was kind of weird subbed.
Jun 3, 2022 8:46 PM

Jan 2021
Dub is highly slept on (Death Note, Bleach, Casshern Sins, ect.) and I watch most things in dub. I watch a lot of sub as well.
Jun 3, 2022 9:25 PM

Sep 2019
Yes, that's just my preference, no hate to my dub kings out there!
Jun 3, 2022 9:29 PM

Sep 2018
Yes. Even highly renowned English dubs like Yu Yu Hakusho sounded stupid and well beneath the original to me, especially Kuwabara's voice. English dub made him a clown, sub makes him hilarious.

The only dubs I would be willing to watch now are shows that intentionally use the dub for a more humorous experience, like what I hear Ghost Stories and S-CRY-ed has.
Jun 3, 2022 9:35 PM
Feb 2020
Windum said:
Dub is for losers who despise the very country that produces the shows they watch
average mal user

How can you even think up an opinion like this if you're not under the age of like 13, some people just prefer not to read when they are watching a show, and sometimes the dub just sounds way better than the sub
Jun 3, 2022 9:42 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
I only watch subs cause its harder to pay attention to what im watchin if I choose dubs.

Sometimes I like to get a little daring and eat a sub while watching a show in sub.
Jun 3, 2022 10:17 PM

Aug 2018
yes absolutely I do. the only reason I would even consider making an exception to that rule is for those shows with lots of dialog that goes by really fast such as bakemonogatari and Tatami galaxy. But I don't even care about those shows anyway, so...
Jun 3, 2022 10:25 PM
Jan 2020
mostly i watch Subbed anime except Ghost Story and Yu-Gi-Oh which is better in Dub along with Pokemon.
Sometimes i watch Local Dub(which is 100% better than Eng dub)
JeehenOct 30, 2023 9:45 AM
Mehehehee
Jun 3, 2022 10:28 PM
Jan 2020
FreshCarrot said:
Windum said:
Dub is for losers who despise the very country that produces the shows they watch
average mal user

How can you even think up an opinion like this if you're not under the age of like 13, some people just prefer not to read when they are watching a show, and sometimes the dub just sounds way better than the sub
Nice Ratio Buddy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(Limit Word Broken)
Mehehehee
Jun 3, 2022 10:34 PM

Apr 2021
Yeah, almost 100%, i started with watching dub, but after a lot of peer pressure i started watching sub, it takes time getting used to but now it feels natural. i cant make myself to watch dub now, until its very special like Cowboy Bebop. Just try 1 or 2 animes in sub, after that you'll get used to it. initially, i paused like every second to read the subtitles lol, but i dont even see the subtitles, its subconcious, you'll develop a sharingan xd.
Jun 3, 2022 11:36 PM

Mar 2020
Dub is for new watchers
As you watch more and more anime dubbed feels weird compare to subbed at one time you stop watching anime in dubbed

Seiba Supremacy ๐Ÿ›
Jun 3, 2022 11:41 PM

Jan 2016
yes,i dont like dubs in my language i think its shit
Jun 3, 2022 11:52 PM

Jun 2019
For older shows (already finished airing) then I will always pick up the dub if there is one available. However, on checking my watching list whenever this issue comes up I've realised I watch about half sub as I tend to watch seasonally airing shows in sub as I'm too impatient, although that's changing as CR are getting better as dubbing quicker (will watch Date A Live S4, Demon Girl Next Door S2 and World After Love Domination once the dubs finish).

There's also some exceptions like Gintama and Dirty Pair where the subs are better. I've noticed that Funi and now CR are bringing a lot of newer english VA into the rotation so it's not the same old VA working on every dub as often happened at Funimation (not that I minded overly much).

There's nothing wrong with enjoying anime in your native language giving you more time to enjoy the visuals and not having to read along all the time (am watching Maoyuu: Demon King & Hero atm and it's sub only and I feel like reading the subs I'm missing out on some of the lovely watercolour visuals if only for a minute. I love aesthetic backgrounds so I want to drink the visuals in as much as possible and reading subs takes time away from that). These sub-only elitists sounds like pandering weeaboo's and the only ones who can enjoy anime, grow up. This thread reads like one big circle jerk for sub only watchers, lol, compensating much guys.

23feanorJun 3, 2022 11:59 PM
Jun 3, 2022 11:53 PM

Aug 2013
I'll never consume any foreign media dubbed because I hate watching something completely butchered.
I consider dubs as something targeted to kids or people with low IQ.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 4, 2022 12:14 AM

Nov 2015
Not 100% of the time. If it's something I originally watched dubbed in English, chances are on a rewatch I'll watch it in English. Also gotta give a big middle finger to all of the low IQ losers giving shit to dub watchers @rsc-pl @Windum
cyandaqilJun 4, 2022 12:40 AM
and i guess

that i just don't know
Jun 4, 2022 12:27 AM

Jul 2021
The only dub I watch is accidentally on youtube
Jun 4, 2022 12:49 AM

Jun 2016
100% raw nowadays.
100% raw nowadays
Jun 4, 2022 1:16 AM

Dec 2014
I watch both sub and dub. I watch dub on a night cos I am to tired to read subs.
Jun 4, 2022 1:24 AM
Apr 2020
I watch shows in their original language. For anime, that's Japanese.
Jun 4, 2022 3:01 AM
Dec 2019
most of them sub sometimes the older ones like baccano or monster in dub
Jun 4, 2022 3:04 AM

Apr 2012
no dub, no sub but RAW is the way i watch my anime x)
Jun 4, 2022 3:29 AM

Mar 2017
Sometimes I'll rewatch shows in dub because it means that I can do other things whilst watching it, I always initially watch shows in sub though.
Jun 4, 2022 4:25 AM

Oct 2013
Always subs unless it's for shows I grew up with. For easier shows I'm starting to use Japanese subs instead of English ones.

"The kindest person in the room is often the smartest."
All failures of the individual are the failure of society to provide the means by which they could have achieved success.
Jun 4, 2022 4:43 AM

Dec 2020
Yeah dubs are useless for me since English isn't my first language anyway, and Arabic dubs are horrible. Watching in japanese with subtitles is much easier.
Jun 4, 2022 4:59 AM

Apr 2020
i'm ESL, so yes
and dub waters down the dialogue

Jun 4, 2022 5:33 AM

Aug 2019
I’ve only ever watched one show in dub and that being Cowboy Bebop
Jun 4, 2022 5:50 AM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Unless I absolutely can't find it subbed (like recently with Princess Knight), then yes.

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Jun 4, 2022 6:55 AM
Jan 2022
Well 0% with the japanese dub for the giga chad weebs only
uwu
Jun 4, 2022 6:55 AM
Jan 2022
Well 0% with the japanese dub for the giga chad weebs only
uwu
Jun 4, 2022 7:01 AM
Oct 2020
Yes, only in sub. Tried dub in my initial days of watching anime but couldn't adjust with it
Jun 4, 2022 7:05 AM

May 2021
Yeah,although i am considering to watch ghost story dubbed
Jun 4, 2022 7:11 AM
Apr 2021
Usually sub. There isn't any justifiable reason for me to pick dub over sub usually. Although shows like Cowboy Bebop and Saiki K have exceptionally good dubs, so honestly I wouldn't mind either way.
Jun 4, 2022 7:12 AM

May 2021
Yep. It happens that when I complete a show, the dub is released. I would watch it just to hear how it would sound in my language, but I've already completed watching it so... it's just for fun.
โ—
โ—
โ—
Jun 4, 2022 7:54 AM

Dec 2020
i mainly watch sub!! sometimes ill watch the dubbed version though :O theres some dubbed animes i really enjoy like ouran highschool host club!! also if its a childhood anime i tend to watch it dubbed if i did back then !!
Jun 4, 2022 7:54 AM

Jan 2008
Only sub. Regardless of language. I watch a few Chinese donghua, and I watch them with Chinese audio. Dubs are inferior by definition.
Jun 4, 2022 8:31 AM
Feb 2021
no, i am 60% dub, 40% sub. roughly speaking.
Jun 4, 2022 8:34 AM
Sep 2018
Yes as it is the only version that would come out first before the English version
Jun 4, 2022 9:12 AM

Nov 2020
70% sub
30% dub
I always try both and see which one I like more. Reading through this thread makes me feel like I'm committing a sin

Some anime I watched in dub: Death Note, Fate (both dub and sub), Attack on Titan (both dub and sub), OPM, Grand Blue, Haikyuu, 86, Spirited Away (both dub and sub), Psycho-Pass, Cowboy Bebop, FMAB, Land of the Lustrous, Violet Evergarden (both dub and sub), Monster, Evangelion

Windum said:

Hmm so does reading manga or light novels with English translations also mean you despise Japan?

SomeOrdinaryWeeb said:
sub 100%. In my opinion female english va's sound way too cringe because they try to imitate the seiyuu's that have very high pitch voices thus making them sound like they are on cocaine
I haven't experienced that. But being annoyed by high pitched female voices in subs is an everyday thing for me. The most insufferable is Chika's voice (Love is War)

TsutanaiFuun said:
Remember: Sub>>>>>>>>>>Dub ALWAYS. People's opinions and preferences on this don't matter lmao. It's a Japanese show so watch it in Japanese, dubs ruin everything, the characters don't sound the same and we don't feel the same. I've had animes with dual audio and sometimes I watch some part with sub and then dub, the difference is huge, you don't feel the same way after hearing the Jap Seiyuu and then the Eng one. True there are some dubs of animes which are great but those are rare. Watching in subs is the only way to watch anime majority of the time.
That's a pathetic opinion. Let me enjoy watching anime in a way I like wihtout feeling attacked. "Characters don't sound the same" - Um.. yes, if you watch sub first. If you switched from dub to sub, they would sound strange too
MarkVijetJun 4, 2022 9:17 AM
Jun 4, 2022 9:16 AM

Nov 2020
Ladees-Washroom said:
Usually sub. There isn't any justifiable reason for me to pick dub over sub usually. Although shows like Cowboy Bebop and Saiki K have exceptionally good dubs, so honestly I wouldn't mind either way.
No justifiable reason lol? What if I enjoy dubs more than subs
Jun 4, 2022 9:20 AM

Jul 2021
MarkVijet said:
70% sub
30% dub
I always try both and see which one I like more. Reading through this thread makes me feel like I'm committing a sin

Some anime I watched in dub: Death Note, Fate (both dub and sub), Attack on Titan (both dub and sub), OPM, Grand Blue, Haikyuu, 86, Spirited Away (both dub and sub), Psycho-Pass, Cowboy Bebop, FMAB, Land of the Lustrous, Violet Evergarden (both dub and sub), Monster, Evangelion

Windum said:

Hmm so does reading manga or light novels with English translations also mean you despise Japan?

SomeOrdinaryWeeb said:
sub 100%. In my opinion female english va's sound way too cringe because they try to imitate the seiyuu's that have very high pitch voices thus making them sound like they are on cocaine
I haven't experienced that. But being annoyed by high pitched female voices in subs is an everyday thing for me. The most insufferable is Chika's voice (Love is War)

TsutanaiFuun said:
Remember: Sub>>>>>>>>>>Dub ALWAYS. People's opinions and preferences on this don't matter lmao. It's a Japanese show so watch it in Japanese, dubs ruin everything, the characters don't sound the same and we don't feel the same. I've had animes with dual audio and sometimes I watch some part with sub and then dub, the difference is huge, you don't feel the same way after hearing the Jap Seiyuu and then the Eng one. True there are some dubs of animes which are great but those are rare. Watching in subs is the only way to watch anime majority of the time.
That's a pathetic opinion. Let me enjoy watching anime in a way I like wihtout feeling attacked. "Characters don't sound the same" - Um.. yes, if you watch sub first. If you switch from dub to sub, they would sound strange too
This media should be consumed in it's original form, sure you like to watch dub but that's not how it is intended to watch. Lot's of stuff changes from sub to dub, sometimes the dialogues change, the tone is different, it just feels wrong. If you watch a part in sub and then dub, you will notice some differences in the dialogues, mood of the scene etc. And the biggest issue is dub voice doesn't suit most of the anime characters, the voices ruin everything. Dub is bad. Period. You wanna watch dub? Sure watch it, you are ruining your experience that's all. I don't even understand why someone would watch dub when there's superior sub, all I can think of is they are lazy or can't watch anime and read subtitles at the same time.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Jun 4, 2022 9:37 AM

Nov 2020
TsutanaiFuun said:
MarkVijet said:
70% sub
30% dub

That's a pathetic opinion. Let me enjoy watching anime in a way I like wihtout feeling attacked. "Characters don't sound the same" - Um.. yes, if you watch sub first. If you switch from dub to sub, they would sound strange too
This media should be consumed in it's original form, sure you like to watch dub but that's not how it is intended to watch. Lot's of stuff changes from sub to dub, sometimes the dialogues change, the tone is different, it just feels wrong. If you watch a part in sub and then dub, you will notice some differences in the dialogues, mood of the scene etc. And the biggest issue is dub voice doesn't suit most of the anime characters, the voices ruin everything. Dub is bad. Period. You wanna watch dub? Sure watch it, you are ruining your experience that's all. I don't even understand why someone would watch dub when there's superior sub, all I can think of is they are lazy or can't watch anime and read subtitles at the same time.

- I don't watch dub and sub side by side for longer than 5-10 min - the time it takes for me to decide how I'll watch the show, so I can't comment on that
- The opposite is sometimes true as well. Sub doesn't suit anime set in Europe and US (Monster, Banana Fish...). Characters sound out of place with Japanese voices, it hinders immersion
- Death Note, AoT, Haikyuu and Land of the Lustrous are some of my favorite shows, how can you say I ruined the experience of watching them by doing so in dub?
- I'll watch dub if I prefer the voices over sub. Sometimes female characters sound cringe in sub. Can you understand it now?
Jun 4, 2022 9:38 AM
Feb 2020
Yes I always watch sub. The only exception are those childhood animes that I grew up listening to the dub, Dragon ball, Pokemon, Doraemon (the dub for this one is not even in my mother tongue but I grew up listening to it and got used to it), your typical childhood anime, but I think that goes for the majority of fans too. But now is 100% sub, I can't listen to a dub it makes me cringe and sounds really out of place.
dmdm597Jun 4, 2022 9:43 AM
Jun 4, 2022 9:44 AM
Jan 2021
I always watch dub unless there isn’t one or the dub is just like reallyyyyy bad, this is because I’m lazy and don’t really like reading subs, and this way I can focus on what’s happening on the screen, I know most people like subs more so please don’t hate and respect my opinionnnn, thanks :) <3
Jun 4, 2022 9:53 AM
Jul 2019
I used to watch dubs back then but now I'm watching only subs.
Jun 4, 2022 9:54 AM

Aug 2011
Yes, 100% of the time. This goes for everything, not just anime. If the original language audio is available with subtitles, I'll always choose that over a dub. I can't think of a good reason to watch an altered version of something if the original version is right there. For me, it has nothing to do with which version is better. For all I know, there are actually dubs that improve on the original, but that's kind of irrelevant to me.

I did watch a handful of anime dubbed when I was first getting into it, since that's the only version that was easily accessible at the time, but I switched to subs around 2001-02, and stuck with them. I've seen a few dubs since then, when watching anime with someone else who prefers dubs or isn't used to subtitles, but if I'm watching alone, it's always subs.
Jun 4, 2022 9:57 AM
Jul 2017
I watch anime in dub more than I do in sub
Jun 4, 2022 9:59 AM

Aug 2020
I watch pretty much everything in sub. I also rewatched all my childhood favourites in the Japanese dub and got used to the JP voices instead, so now whenever I think of them, I have the JP voices in my head too.

The one exception is Digimon Adventure and its continuity because as a kid I had audiobooks of the episodes with the German voice actors that I listened to basically day and night, so those voices are ingrained in my brain to a point where it can't be overwritten. Meaning even if I watch something like Digimon tri. nowadays, it has to be in the German dub because I NEED these characters to sound the same as they do in my brain ๐Ÿ˜‰
Jun 4, 2022 10:13 AM

Nov 2019
All sub, I can't deal with some of the dubbed voices ack
Jun 4, 2022 10:13 AM
Aug 2017
Only exceptions were Kirby and Pokemon (because I watched before I started watching anime), everything else I watch in original language.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 3 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

130 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
42 minutes ago

» MAL Clubs

Ryzenn11_ - 3 hours ago

4 by KitsuFrost »»
58 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

131 by APolygons2 »»
1 hour ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime? ( 1 2 )

RedTea33 - May 27

51 by tchitchouan »»
2 hours ago

» I am praising the anime industry in general (a short topic where I'm sharing my personal thoughts).

9765 - Yesterday

10 by 9765 »»
2 hours ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.