Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Mar 7, 2022 5:21 PM

Feb 2021
Link Click is based. watch it for your first
Mar 7, 2022 5:24 PM
Jul 2018
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
I agree. The fact that you think the Japanese animation business model is the only business model that could be successful, and you keep injecting Cold War style conspiracies into perfectly reasonable scenarios -- that a new category of media would have a backlog -- makes this conversation pointless to continue.

There are 1254 anime with the Historical tag in the database. I counted 202 Chinese anime, with 40% of them or so being sequels, about 5 that had synopsis that sound like they could be propaganda, most of which were movies made before 1980.

So where are these "hundreds" of anime being uploaded by the red army? Please. We had a productive conversation, but it looks like my initial charge was right again. You bought into the Euro-centric narrative that held the Japanese as a paragon of post-WW2 Americanization, the model minority, as a tool in the Cold War against other Asian cultures.

I'ma call it out when I see it. You don't just hate donghua. It's clear the fear comes from a different origin, a political and cultural origin, that causes you to see conspiracies where the evidence doesn't exist. Conspiracies that the Chinese government is going back in time to pay pre-industrialization wages to a propagandist "50 cent" red army so they could add anime to MAL of all things. On top of that, you read a bunch of historical synopses from a genre that was historically anti-government and presumed they were propaganda. I've seen about 60% of the franchises (like I said, there are a lot of sequels), and none of the shows that I've seen save one had any inkling of being pro-government.

It's as ridiculous as it sounds. I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt, but I'm not sure what there is to be said when the only argument you have practically amounts to that Chinese people are untrustworthy.

In retrospect I could easily call you out on propping your own propaganda because this is exactly what you are doing in denying everything you don't agree with then trying to make an argument just to make a user like me seem like I am some paranoid conspiracy theorist. You can't think for a moment that you someone live on the high ground of this debate. The things you have been posting are completely aligned with what the Chinese government wishes people would think of Chinese "donghua". Also I have made it clear before in my 1st post that I do not like Chinese "donghua". If suddenly you are understanding this now you must of just ignored it.

You keep on bringing up "Euro-centric narrative that held the Japanese". please... This is a Japanese Anime Database. I would think if you were so against the Japanese why the hell are you even on a site like this that caters to Japanese Anime Fans since Japanese Anime for the most part is made specifically to cater to the Japanese people?

By the way You remember you asking me "doesn't also confer that Japanese people don't use the word anime to describe anime?" I asked my wife about it and she confirmed the answer for me so you can "concede."

@katsucats is not wrong tho. Quite a lot of cultivation-themed donghua are about a protagonist or a group of protagonists, who try to bring down an autocrat or oppressors in a clan from what I have already seen.
The Chinese government let it slip through, maybe because it's not taking place in modern China.

katsucats said:
_Maneki-Neko_ said:
I rather think it was interesting to see some of the Medieval Age Chinese Culture in the Untamed series. You know daily stuff like how people are greeting each other, clothes and furniture and food etc. Maybe shouldn't be seen as too historical, but it was still interesting. ^^
I think the most historically "passable" (not necessarily accurate, since I wouldn't know if it's accurate or not) is Memory of Chang'An. It's a court/palace romance without any magic powers, demons or anything. Just spies from neighboring kingdoms. It's okay, if you can get past the main couple being tsunderes. The main character (girl) acts like a more modern person, probably for self-inserts, but everyone else act like what people in historical dramas tend to act like.

Thanks for the recommendation. It's already on my list, but I forgot about it's existence and sooner or later I'll watch it. ^^
removed-userMar 7, 2022 5:28 PM
Mar 7, 2022 5:26 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
@ColourWheel
I had no idea "hundreds" of donghua were being submitted "all at once." That certainly is a very suspicious activity. How did you learn of it? I only notice that there's a large, undefined number of Chinese animation and Korean webtoons in the database. I know nothing about these titles, and I see no merchandise for them. Fans call for inclusion of both with reasoning that boils down to "everything with moonrunes is anime."

This is how I originally discovered "donghua" I started watching about a half a dozen different historical title I noticed that were all added at once. I didn't even need to finish a full episode to recognize the propaganda and simply dropped each one before each episode even ended.
Mar 7, 2022 5:27 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:

In retrospect I could easily call you out on propping your own propaganda because this is exactly what you are doing in denying everything you don't agree with then trying to make an argument just to make a user like me seem like I am some paranoid conspiracy theorist. You can't think for a moment that you someone live on the high ground of this debate. The things you have been posting are completely aligned with what the Chinese government wishes people would think of Chinese "donghua". Also I have made it clear before in my 1st post that I do not like Chinese "donghua". If suddenly you are understanding this now you must of just ignored it.
Yep, it's totally Chinese propaganda to call out racism against the Chinese ethnicity. I am taking the morally high ground, because I own the morally high ground, unless you think dreaming up xenophobic conspiracies is somehow justifiable. My posts are also aligned with what the American government wishes people would think -- rational. I've watched dozens of Chinese anime. You've watched zero. Yet somehow you think you're the authority in which anime has "propaganda". Bruh. The Cold War has been over for decades, get with the times. But you act exactly like a person would when someone points out his irrational delusions: you accuse the other person of being an agent of the Matrix.

ColourWheel said:
You keep on bringing up "Euro-centric narrative that held the Japanese". please... This is a Japanese Anime Database. I would think if you were so against the Japanese why the hell are you even on a site like this that caters to Japanese Anime Fans since Japanese Anime for the most part is made specifically to cater to the Japanese people?
I'm not against the Japanese. I love Japanese culture. I just don't love it in exclusion to all other cultures. I don't have a fetish for Japanese culture. I don't watch Japanese anime selling their culture and not think propaganda, then turn around and apply disparate standards to others. You're the one in a Chinese anime thread stoking racist propaganda and repeating your discontent on how the MAL database is managed. Take your complaints over to the "Suggestions" forum and tell the mods to stop listening to your imaginary red army.

OP wanted suggestions, and you wanted people stop calling animation "animation" just so you could live out your fantasy.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 5:29 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
Lucifrost said:
@ColourWheel
I had no idea "hundreds" of donghua were being submitted "all at once." That certainly is a very suspicious activity. How did you learn of it? I only notice that there's a large, undefined number of Chinese animation and Korean webtoons in the database. I know nothing about these titles, and I see no merchandise for them. Fans call for inclusion of both with reasoning that boils down to "everything with moonrunes is anime."

This is how I originally discovered "donghua" I started watching about a half a dozen different historical title I noticed that were all added at once. I didn't even need to finish a full episode to recognize the propaganda and simply dropped each one before each episode even ended.

No, I mean how did you realize all those titles had been added at the same time?
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2022 5:32 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
By the way You remember you asking me "doesn't also confer that Japanese people don't use the word anime to describe anime?" I asked my wife about it and she confirmed the answer for me so you can "concede."
On second thought, I'll take the collective opinion of the Japanese media over someone who thinks recommending donghua to MAL makes them a propagandist -- hardly an impartial and reputable source. It's like Putin telling me Ukraine isn't a country.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 5:34 PM

Mar 2021
Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:

No, I mean how did you realize all those titles had been added at the same time?

I was doing a search a while back and just an hour later to my surprise finding a bunch of "donghua" found under the historical genre that suddenly appeared all at once.
Mar 7, 2022 5:37 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
Lucifrost said:
@ColourWheel

Which show did you watch? Please tell us so we could all judge the "propaganda" for ourselves. Considering I just scrolled through the entire historical list and recognize many of those shows, let's just stop pretending, okay?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 5:43 PM
Nov 2019
Chinese won't be able to truly tell the stories they want until they're liberated from Chinese censorship.. until then, they're still under what's essentially the comics code authority. It's hard to feel good watching reading something knowing how much it had to compromise walking to cowtow for the pride of the chinese government.. and for as good as the end product may or not be knowing at the end of the day that it's likely still not as good as what could have been had the authors had complete artistic freedom over their work
Mar 7, 2022 5:44 PM

Oct 2011
There's a funny short one which might be a good start. It's about this brother and sister who are always fighting and they go through their daily school life. Personally though I find nost of the Chinese voices annoying. But Link click is also another good one and the voices are okay in it since it doesn't as high pitch.

The funny Chinese anime is called Take my brother away.
Mar 7, 2022 5:48 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
I am taking the morally high ground, because I own the morally high ground, unless you think dreaming up xenophobic conspiracies is somehow justifiable.

You are the one who keeps bringing up this xenophobic crap. If you want to believe you are taking the morally high ground I could care less. Simply not liking "donghua" and thinks it doesn't belong grouped together with Japanese Anime Doesn't mean I hate Chinese people. You are stroking your own racist propaganda simply by injecting it into the conversation to begin with.

katsucats said:
Which show did you watch? Please tell us so we could all judge the "propaganda" for ourselves.

Obviously nothing worth remembering since I didn't even finish a complete episode of any of the titles.

If you are interested in wasting your own time to sniff out "propaganda" in "Donghua" do it on your own and not involve me with it ever. I simply don't like Chinese "donghua", and have better things to do in my leisure time like watching actual "Japanese Anime".
Mar 7, 2022 5:51 PM

Oct 2012
Lucifrost said:
Let me clarify this situation. When you submit a new anime to MAL, the mods have to approve it. The anime goes into the database when MAL approves it. The timing of when it is submitted is irrelevant. So ColourWheel is essentially calling some database mod a Chinese propagandist, or that's what he's reasonably implying, when in reality, the poor mod just logged in, saw a backlog of anime to approve, and added them at the same time.

It went from hundreds, to a dozen, to a "bunch". There is not even a dozen consecutive donghua in historical anime. I just went through them. But take it as you will.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 5:55 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:

It went from hundreds, to a dozen, to a "bunch". There is not even a dozen consecutive donghua in historical anime. I just went through them. But take it as you will.

Now you are taking things out of context. I simply watched a half a dozen titles giving them a try but if you actually took a closer look at what is in the database you will notice it's flooded with hundreds of different historical "donghua". Don't inject me into your discussion just to distort context.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 5:59 PM
Mar 7, 2022 5:59 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
I am taking the morally high ground, because I own the morally high ground, unless you think dreaming up xenophobic conspiracies is somehow justifiable.

You are the one who keeps bringing up this xenophobic crap. If you want to believe you are taking the morally high ground I could care less. Simply not liking "donghua" and thinks it doesn't belong grouped together with Japanese Anime Doesn't mean I hate Chinese people. You are stroking your own racist propaganda simply by injecting it into the conversation to begin with.
It doesn't. But making unfounded communist conspiracies, inventing claims of propaganda, and denigrating the Chinese medium without any exposure besides the half episodes you pretended to watch are evidence of ethnic bias. I don't even group Chinese anime with Japanese anime, so stop stretching.

ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:
Which show did you watch? Please tell us so we could all judge the "propaganda" for ourselves.

Obviously nothing worth remembering since I didn't even finish a complete episode of any of the titles.

If you are interested in wasting your own time to sniff out "propaganda" in "Donghua" do it on your own and not involve me with it ever. I simply don't like Chinese "donghua", and have better things to do in my leisure time like watching actual "Japanese Anime".
And I bet you won't ever just take half a minute looking up the title to tell us either, because there are supposedly hundreds of Chinese propaganda anime added at the same time that you would be able to easily find... except that doesn't exist. Oops. I don't give a fuck if you don't like Chinese anime. lmao

You got caught and now you're saving face. I'll let you bow out. The hole has been dug deep enough. Don't let 50 keep you up at night.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 6:04 PM

Mar 2021
@katsucats

There is no need to be childish by posting a pic just to make some statement.

Anyone can do their own search but if you want help just look at any title started with "X" or "Z" you will find it's just saturated with Chinese "donghua".

Another way is simply viewing ONA season by season.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 8:16 PM
Mar 7, 2022 6:09 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
@katsucats

There is no need to be childish by posting a pic just to make some statement.

Anyone can do their own search but if you want help just look at any title started with "X" or "Z" you will find it's just saturated with Chinese "donghua".
I'm not going to scroll through every anime that begins with X or Z looking for signs of propaganda when I wouldn't even know what to look for because it doesn't exist.

Childish? You seemed to be into "50 cent" so I told you not to dwell. You could if you want...
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 6:15 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:

Childish? You seemed to be into "50 cent" so I told you not to dwell. You could if you want...

The Irony is you don't even realize how childish you are being now. You might have started off trying to have a legitimate discussion but you are the one who has perpetuated it into mud throwing contest. Simply because you don't agree with someone who doesn't think Chinese "donghua" and Japanese Anime should be mixed together.

WE are not talking as if Chinese people and Japanese people don't mix together. So get your xenophobic conspiracy theories out of your ass.
Mar 7, 2022 6:19 PM

Feb 2019
What is "Chinese anime"?

You mean Chinese cartoon/Chinese animation?
Mar 7, 2022 6:27 PM

Feb 2016
ColourWheel said:
if you actually took a closer look at what is in the database you will notice it's flooded with hundreds of different historical "donghua"

I still don't see how that's any different from the hundreds of "manhwa." They're not even hidden!
https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=manhwa
その目だれの目?
Mar 7, 2022 6:32 PM

Oct 2012
ColourWheel said:
katsucats said:

The Irony is you don't even realize how childish you are being now. You might have started off trying to have a legitimate discussion but you are the one who has perpetuated it into mud throwing contest. Simply because you don't agree with someone who doesn't think Chinese "donghua" and Japanese Anime should be mixed together.

WE are not talking as if Chinese people and Japanese people don't mix together. So get your xenophobic conspiracy theories out of your ass.
Yep I just scrolled through the other 2 anime that begins with X that I haven't seen and didn't see any signs of propaganda. One of them is a reenactment of a Chinese Buddhist classic. The other one is about a kid who's trying to run away from home to become a ninja or some shit. The last anime, which I will not be watching, is about a demon king's harem.

No. Fucking. Propaganda.

You can try to gaslight me all you like calling me childish or whatnot to take the heat off your own ridiculous means of having a "legitimate" discussion by denigrating an entire medium with racist conspiracies. It ain't working, boss.

Now that we've settled that
  1. You said hundreds of anime were added at the same time. They haven't, not even a dozen have.
  2. You said there was propaganda in half a dozen anime that you picked randomly to watch. You won't tell us which ones, except that they start with X or Z. I've now seen the beginnings of every anime that starts with X and Z and that is certified BS.
  3. You said a "50 cent" communist propaganda army are pushing donghua on MAL. Anime are added on MAL when the mods approve of them.
  4. You said donghua don't have their own identity because they're not selling merch. Ridiculous.
  5. You said wuxia and cultivation genres are Chinese propaganda when they are literally started by Hong Kong and Taiwanese authors to criticize communism.
  6. You said "anime" doesn't mean animation, but this... https://www.anikore.jp/anime/12892/

Now you're just trying to distract from everything else you've said.

I don't have a problem with any Japanese person. I have a problem with people sowing discord with an ethnicity based on unfounded kooky conspiracy theories. So get off that colonialist platform. If pointing out ethnic bias makes me childish, then I'll be childish any day of the week.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 7, 2022 6:55 PM

Mar 2021
katsucats said:
I have a problem with people sowing discord with an ethnicity based on unfounded kooky conspiracy theories. So get off that colonialist platform. If pointing out ethnic bias makes me childish, then I'll be childish any day of the week.

Here is your problem you are conflating the idea that "Chinese donghua = Chinese people" and that "Japanese Anime = Japanese people". Just because a person doesn't think that Chinese Donghua goes together with Japanese Anime, doesn't automatically make someone a racist xenophobe.

The same thing can be said about Country music and death metal. Just because they are both music doesn't mean they should be mixed together as if it's the same genre.

I don't like mixing peas in with mashed potato, Does that make me some veggie racist?

Just to clear things up I love the Chinese. I even dated several Chinese/Americans before I got married. I don't like Chinese "donghua" at all. Yet I am still a xenophobe?

Of course what will happen next is I will probably be quoted out of context from my above statement to reform their own narrative forcing a user like me to defend anything I have posted especially when they keep throwing this xenophobic crap around.

For the record, picking apart everything a users post completely out of context then rephrasing things in a way to shape your own narrative is exactly what an organization like the "50-cent" online propaganda army does. You should really stop this habit. I apologize if it seems I am doing the same thing.

To give those some context of what I am talking about. "50-Cent Party" is an online propaganda army known as group of internet users on various platforms hired by authorities of the People's Republic of China to manipulate public opinion on the Communist Party of China. As an example, in the context to propping up Chinese "donghua" with Japanese "Anime" as if it all belongs together a users online would be employed to do what ever it takes in public forums to derail a topic in favor to defending anything that involves the CCP. Which since Chinese "donghua" is basically state funded media, anyone to criticizing it would likely be derailed by making them out to be some xenophobe. It becomes a futile effort to usually debate against such a user.

I am in no obligation to try to explain anything to you. It's obvious you just don't listen or even try to understand the point of view I am coming from.

Lucifrost said:
ColourWheel said:
if you actually took a closer look at what is in the database you will notice it's flooded with hundreds of different historical "donghua"

I still don't see how that's any different from the hundreds of "manhwa." They're not even hidden!
https://myanimelist.net/topmanga.php?type=manhwa

I have never looked close enough into "manhwa" but if you say it's the same I will take your word for it.
ColourWheelMar 7, 2022 9:51 PM
Mar 7, 2022 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
ColourWheel said:

It's likely going to take China decades before their "Donghua" has it's own cultural identity like Japan has with Anime. This can't be rushed or forced even with impressive animated sequences when most western nations today won't even carry "Donghua" merch in their stores.

It will never have its own "cultural identity" since pretty much all of them copy Japanese animation, and will probably continue to do so. American animation is easy to tell apart from Japanese animation because of obvious differences. With Chinese animation, most people just assume it's Anime because they are clearly mimicking Japanese animation.
Mar 7, 2022 8:59 PM
Aug 2013
kawaiicide said:
How can it be anime if it is not made in japan?!

Because if Japan has some involvement with it then it can be considered anime as long as Japan has some role in the production of series.
~AnimeDownUnder~

Mar 7, 2022 11:01 PM

Mar 2021
A medium that's improving itself and starting to gain some recognition.
Mar 8, 2022 12:39 AM

Mar 2021
-SP- said:
ColourWheel said:

It's likely going to take China decades before their "Donghua" has it's own cultural identity like Japan has with Anime. This can't be rushed or forced even with impressive animated sequences when most western nations today won't even carry "Donghua" merch in their stores.

It will never have it's own "cultural identity" since pretty much all of them copy Japanese animation, and will probably continue to do so. American animation is easy to tell apart from Japanese animation because of obvious differences. With Chinese animation, most people just assume it's Anime because they are clearly mimicking Japanese animation.

Chinese "Donghua" probably has its own "cultural identity" but it's no where close to the level of Japanese "Anime" to the degree it's celebrated.

Which is why a site like "mydonghualist.cn" is basically non-existent to the Western world. The Chinese Government probably feels more comfortable simply having their own state funded media floating around in any database as long as it gives it exposure. Otherwise someone smart enough from China would have already made one. After all Chinese "Donghua" has been around since the 50s.
Mar 8, 2022 3:11 AM
May 2009

Nowadays Donghua has its own distinct feel and look. Link Click for example though has a similar Anime style but it has distinct features that makes it different to anime, like the colouring of the eyes, how characters aren't moe for example. Rather than a focus on Cuteness there is a focus on maturity.

Then there are the works that in their own league like fog on five elements. A style I've not seen in any anime, than there is Da Li Shi, which again, portrays Changan and its inhabitants uniquely.

The feel of the animation is also different. Japanese animations these days have to many still scenes or cuts. Chinese Donghua rather than having places be still, tend to animate more movement or have background characters move. (Due to the different work environment compared to Japan, they aren't as tied to schedules, as episodes are not uniformly designed) Since most of the donghua are ONA in nature, and usually created by small studios who are usually indie in nature.

We might see a shift in this work culture though. As depending on the type of material that will get adapted, we might see a shift in larger studios, and less passion projects.

Legend of Xiao Hei for me feels like a passion project, from a 28 episode ONA series that runs 3-6 mins per episode. each episode taking different amounts of time to master up.

This trailer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUzWu5APVlY, is interesting, no idea what its about, but from the details I can see its set in the Tang Dynasty, along the silk road, probably set in one of the trading outposts. the animation style is different to anime, it has a roughness and animation smoothness and dynamic camera angles that you rarely find outside of something like Fate works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBeYFVJF6o0 This one is based on a Manhua, you can find it on any manga site, but from the animation for the trailer you can see the animation quality is increasing, the mix of CGI and 2D animation, dynamic camera usage and colouring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtrNiN0wWDk Not seen this yet but thought I would add it in.

The thing I look forward to is better action based upon Chinese Martial arts.
Anime has tried to do this before, but most are terribly animated, but it always turns out bad, makes sense since there aren't alot of Chinese Martial Arts Practitioners in Japan.
And usually they use the form to promote Karate, Judo or Kendo styles.

Now I can expect better martial fight scenes, featuring different styles. I mean DBZ really went from having a fighting style in DB to having people just go from fast paced punching and kicking, with few scenes showing more dynamic movement. Kenichi had some styles shown, but it was lacking, as it ends up as a slugfest then a final finishing move.

As much as I enjoy Kingdom, I also find it bad in character designs.

Considering how Vast China is, I can also expect in the future, works that focus on the minorities folklore and stories being animated, they already have been represented in some Donghua's but I would enjoy seeing more and experiencing more minority dialects and culture through Donghua.

They have also been adding music as well, which unlike anime, which tends to be very one direction. Donghua has been playing around with their local talent. Finding unique sounds that is not usual to the audience who is exposed to japanese animation.

Mo Dao Zu Shi for example, has a very martial arts centred theme. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0I0nf2eoK8 very traditional and really sets the tone and mood for the show, The Japanese one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGPpG6OT1qI, just doesn't have the same tone, they try to keep it somber but it doesn't feel the same, it feels off.

Hitori no Shita is another. Japanese one is typical anime music, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lomFOiviSF4, doesn't really do much for me as the song doesn't have much of an impact. The Chinese one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRMICqCbPFw features a unique local folk song, before moving into metal. really setting the tone of what can be expected.

These difference is what adds to the differences between Dong Hua and Anime in general.

If anything its amazing how much has progressed considering the long halt of animation development due to the cultural revolution.

And its great to see animators producing works of varying degrees of polish. From Smooth animation to somewhat frame lacking animation, As they learn on the way.
shintai88Mar 8, 2022 3:40 AM
Mar 8, 2022 3:36 AM
May 2009
You can also find people who recommend and review Dong Hua.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9yaOnyj_10

This one talks about upcoming Dong hua.

Really looking forward to Release the Witch. This one has what some would considering Communist troupes.
As the Main protag basically Tensei's into the body of a Prince, and applies his engineering and school knowledge to a medieval world.
And its going to be one of the few Dong Hua's set in Medieval western settings.
Mar 8, 2022 5:49 AM

Jun 2020

我没有太多的时间请帮我, 我再说一遍, 请帮我, 我是认真的, 我已经被中国政府抓获了, 请帮我, 我的球不见了, 我像狗一样被割伤了, 卫兵们正在返回, 我要求他们在他们到达时唱歌上帝, 请饶恕我, 请饶恕我
Mar 8, 2022 5:56 AM

May 2018
shqdy said:

我没有太多的时间请帮我, 我再说一遍, 请帮我, 我是认真的, 我已经被中国政府抓获了, 请帮我, 我的球不见了, 我像狗一样被割伤了, 卫兵们正在返回, 我要求他们在他们到达时唱歌上帝, 请饶恕我, 请饶恕我

保持冷静,伙计!你在吓唬游客。
Mar 8, 2022 6:00 AM

Apr 2015
I think they're pretty good, I've watched a few of them. For the historical ones, you may need to know more about the real world references to enjoy them to their fullest.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Mar 8, 2022 6:09 AM

May 2013
There has been a rise of good donghua(chinese anime)

I could name a few like:

Fox Spirit Matchmaker

Cupid's Chocolates

Uncharted Walker (really needs a new season)

Spirit Blade Mountain

Hitori no Shita: The Outcast

Mar 8, 2022 8:50 AM

Sep 2020
I only finished Uncharted Walker, It was decently good. I tried Link Click but didn't found much enjoyment.
Mar 8, 2022 9:27 AM

Aug 2012
I've seen around 25-30 donghua so far. Their animation is still evolving so it's hard to pick through and find the good series when there are a lot more bad then good ones. Once you do find the good ones though it takes getting used to the language. For me, it was a struggle and my first donghua that I watched in full on Chinese was The King's Avatar (my first Chinese series period was a series called Ling Qi that I watched in a Japanese dub). If you struggle with the Chinese a few do have Japanese or English dubs you just have to search for them. Some great first watch series that have altenative dubs are Mo Dao Zu Shi which has three seasons and the first two seasons have a Japanese dub, but you'd either have to wait for a Japanese dub of the third and final season or watch it in Chinese. And, Heaven Official's Blessing (by the same creator as Mo Dao Zu Shi) on the other hand has an English dub (also has a Japanese dub, but you can't find it anywhere. Trust me I tried because as much as I adored it in Chinese I really wanted to re-watch it with a Japanese dub lol). Then you have the case of Please Take My Brother Away which is a multi-season short series that I've only been able to find the Japanese dubbed version. It's a Chinese donghua in which I can't even watch it in Chinese lol (not that I want to, I just think it's funny). So yeah. Options.
Mar 8, 2022 2:11 PM

Aug 2009
ryo-san said:
What are your thoughts on Chinese anime?

Do you think they're worth watching? Which ones would be a good starter?

How is Chinese voice acting ?

Is it different from japanese anime?

(Don't go into politics and let political bias influence your views.... just keep it anime)

Anime are cartoons made in Japan primarily for a Japanese audience.Not cartoons made by East Asians/orientals primarily for a east Asian/Oriental audience. So its not anime. That said I still watch it. My favorite Chinese cartoons are Cupid's Chocolate and Full-Time Magister
Mar 8, 2022 2:14 PM

Nov 2019
I'm enjoying donghua much more than anime because a lot of them are 'explorative' of their worlds. And the characters feel less scripted especially when it comes to female chars.

That being said probably 80% of them I've watched have been 6/10 or below. It's tough to find a good plot donghua because the story carries on forever without an ending ruining a lot of them.

Also I've got a few of the best recent series in my sig for beginner donghua viewers for a reason lol
Mar 8, 2022 2:25 PM
Dec 2017
Just like Japanese Anime, Chinese anime will have some good and some bad. Ive watched one chinese anime that i can think of and enjoyed it. Its the Kings Avatar which is literally about a pro gamer being forced to retire by his shady org and his journey getting back into the pro scene. Its pretty good with solid animation other than like certain scenes of crowds but thats not that big a deal to me. Its an adjustment for sure having to read subtitles cause the dialouge is alot faster but I recommend it for sure
Mar 8, 2022 2:25 PM
Dec 2017
Just like Japanese Anime, Chinese anime will have some good and some bad. Ive watched one chinese anime that i can think of and enjoyed it. Its the Kings Avatar which is literally about a pro gamer being forced to retire by his shady org and his journey getting back into the pro scene. Its pretty good with solid animation other than like certain scenes of crowds but thats not that big a deal to me. Its an adjustment for sure having to read subtitles cause the dialouge is alot faster but I recommend it for sure
Mar 8, 2022 2:42 PM

Oct 2012
giftedxhands said:
dialouge is alot faster but I recommend it for sure
Especially from that shit talker guy lol
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 8, 2022 3:58 PM

Jan 2018
katsucats said:
hazecloud said:
they censor things. like I'll start avoiding sony if they censor things too. very simple, if they make a pure anime without booba in first place then it's okay but if they remove fun things from the show it feels like a bad adaptation already.

by keeping anime only yes I'm talking about anime only not chinese cartoon :>
lmao Sony does censor things. That's why they make movies that target MSRP ratings. Anime censors things also, so that they could be played in their time slots. Acting as if all anime adaptations are good and everything else counts as censorship smh

I frankly don't give a shit if anyone hates Chinese anime. It's just so excessively obvious when it's politically motivated and people act like it's not.

I didn't say most anime are good, just that they do provide uncensored version. and chinese language is harder to understand or not exciting enough to hear.

english is an alternative if anyone wants to do business with chinese. if you want to go political route then I'd just say china government is oppressive by censoring things they don't like. very iron fist. the uyghur people.
Mar 8, 2022 4:20 PM
Nov 2020
Aren't all manhua about cultivation? And yet somehow all those "stories" suck @$$, even though that's all they do. How? How have they not mastered those kinds of stories yet, when that's all they freaking do? And yet somehow, manga, as diverse as it is, has quality stories for whatever you're craving. Honestly, how could you even compare the two?
AnimaayMar 8, 2022 4:24 PM
Mar 8, 2022 4:48 PM

Oct 2012
hazecloud said:
katsucats said:
lmao Sony does censor things. That's why they make movies that target MSRP ratings. Anime censors things also, so that they could be played in their time slots. Acting as if all anime adaptations are good and everything else counts as censorship smh

I frankly don't give a shit if anyone hates Chinese anime. It's just so excessively obvious when it's politically motivated and people act like it's not.

I didn't say most anime are good, just that they do provide uncensored version. and chinese language is harder to understand or not exciting enough to hear.

english is an alternative if anyone wants to do business with chinese. if you want to go political route then I'd just say china government is oppressive by censoring things they don't like. very iron fist. the uyghur people.
I don't know what you think are censored in donghua as opposed to Japanese anime. Unless you're looking for gratuitous hentai, I'm just going to assume that you're using political stereotypes to judge this instead of facts, because the donghua I've seen are neither more or less "censored" compared to anime. P.S. Not having fan service every minute is not censorship, it's superior direction.

Imagine if I didn't like anime because of the Nanjing massacre, or I didn't like Hollywood movies because of the Iraqi War and shit like that. That's just lame. If you're not going to consume donghua to boycott the Chinese government for the Uyghur situation, then the least you could do is be honest and upfront about it so people don't have to speculate whether it's the quality of donghua at fault.

Like if I give a 1 star review on Yelp to a Nigerian restaurant to boycott Boko Haram, I'd be a dick if I didn't state that clearly.

Oh, and I didn't say you said every anime is good. I said -- and this is common sense -- that every anime, like every other media production, is censored to reflect what is allowed to be broadcasted. That's why they include unrated "director's cut" features in DVDs/Blu-rays as extra features. That's why American movies purposefully limit the amount of swearing and sex scenes to target an MSRP rating. If that isn't censorship, then what is it?
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 8, 2022 5:55 PM
Aug 2021
Is there a Chinese version of Hentai?
Mar 8, 2022 6:03 PM

Jul 2010
Ani ni Tsukeru was hillarious. And Link Click is easily in my top-50. Can't say about anything else, maybe will watch Scissors Seven some day in the future

The only problem I had is that it's kinda hard to watch anime with Chinese VAs while you've been watching anime with Japanese VA for 10+ years. But it took me just 1,5 episodes to get used to it
Mar 8, 2022 6:48 PM
Dec 2017
katsucats said:
giftedxhands said:
dialouge is alot faster but I recommend it for sure
Especially from that shit talker guy lol
hell yea lmao. He's a speed talker for sure
Mar 8, 2022 7:11 PM

Mar 2021
The main issue about Chinese "Donghua" is the only titles that are ever talked about or even heard of are those that are purposely imitating Japanese "Anime" down to the corky emoji fumo cartoonishness when characters are simply exchanging between dialogs. Since everyone has heard of "Link Click" I will simply talk about this title without giving out any spoilers.

Sure "Link Click" is an amazing accomplishment when it comes to the fluid animation sequences and offers the viewers something unique that breaks the mold of any other Chinese "Donghua" I have ever seen. It's flashy as if it's a equivalent to going to a pop concert on a impressive lighted stage to watch your favorite artist performing your favorite songs in a quality setting. This "Donghua" is eye candy produced for wide appeal. There is really not much to criticize about it when you are to compare to any other "Donghua". It could be stated that it's the cream of the crop when it comes to "Donghua". If I didn't understand Japanese fluently, I probably would have thought this was just another Japanese "Anime".

The things is "Link Click" is slightly below average at best when put up against every other title that exists in MAL database. It's completely deceiving to see it have a 8+ Score almost close to a 9. If anyone is like me they probably had an Incredibly high expectation before watching it for the 1st time see it with such a high score. This problem exists with all the popular "Donghua". Having unrealistic high scores makes a viewer have a high expectation when going in as a new viewer. Leaving them disappointed at best if it doesn't live up to their expectation. At most if I would put "Link Click" side by side against an actual Japanese Anime it would likely be close to the same level ground as "Kokkoku". This is giving "lick Click" a generous assessment. After finishing the series you try to look around for another "Donghua" with at least "Link Clickiness" appeal and no other "Donghua" exists. Even if you look towards the recommendations there is only one other "Donghua" users recommend if you liked "Link Click" and its for completely vague reasons on how it will make a viewer feel. Everything else is just regular Japanese Anime being recommended.

Now I will admit I have prejudged "Donghua" coming off as some eurocentric xenophobic. I apologize to anyone who I might of offended claiming that "Donghua" is filled with propaganda. Just i had a very bad experience when I saw a bunch of unknown historical "Donghua" titles suddenly appear when I was searching one day. Then later noticing there were actually hundreds of "Donghua" that were probably already in the database before my search in the ONA section.

It was wasted time trying a few out blindly one being "Ling Feng Zhe" which was total propaganda. Sadly I can't find the other titles I randomly tried out. They are either buried so deep in the database, or initially tagged wrong to begin with.

My view of "Donghua" hasn't changed though. When asked of my thoughts on "Donghua", it's like how I view an orange and a kiwi. Just because they are both fruit doesn't mean they should be lumped together in the same bin at the grocery store. They should have separate bins and properly labeled as an "orange" and a "Kiwi" so customers know what they are buying. "Manhwa" and "Manga" have their own tags, MAL should do the same thing with Chinese "Donghua". I have made this suggestion before but I doubt sadly that MAL will adopt this idea. Because in my view and in the view of many other users on MAL, Chinese "Donghua" and Japanese "Anime" are two different Animals.

Tl;dr... If you didn't read what I wrote then you never cares what I had to say to begin with. But I will apologize to anyone I have offended on MAL before again.
ColourWheelMar 8, 2022 7:16 PM
Mar 8, 2022 7:22 PM

Jan 2018
katsucats said:
hazecloud said:

I don't know what you think are censored in donghua as opposed to Japanese anime. Unless you're looking for gratuitous hentai, I'm just going to assume that you're using political stereotypes to judge this instead of facts, because the donghua I've seen are neither more or less "censored" compared to anime. P.S. Not having fan service every minute is not censorship, it's superior direction.

Imagine if I didn't like anime because of the Nanjing massacre, or I didn't like Hollywood movies because of the Iraqi War and shit like that. That's just lame. If you're not going to consume donghua to boycott the Chinese government for the Uyghur situation, then the least you could do is be honest and upfront about it so people don't have to speculate whether it's the quality of donghua at fault.

Like if I give a 1 star review on Yelp to a Nigerian restaurant to boycott Boko Haram, I'd be a dick if I didn't state that clearly.

Oh, and I didn't say you said every anime is good. I said -- and this is common sense -- that every anime, like every other media production, is censored to reflect what is allowed to be broadcasted. That's why they include unrated "director's cut" features in DVDs/Blu-rays as extra features. That's why American movies purposefully limit the amount of swearing and sex scenes to target an MSRP rating. If that isn't censorship, then what is it?

take it with a grain of salt as i am definitely clueless about donghua. but when it comes to censorship, the censorship isn't so blatantly bad most of the time, as japan is actually quite lenient to the point most countries will take offense if the already censored for tv slot gets aired in their country.

like i'm still salty that i watched spice and wolf with that inferior wolf if compared to light novel.

there's the bad censorship coming from western too that happened with one piece but my memory quite hazy to elaborate more lol.

western tryna be like morally correct when they be the one leading the adult industry.

chinese language doesn't sound good for enjoyment, heck i don't even like it if my country does it too. japanese voice acting or the language itself sounds like it rhymes well for my preference. maybe if there's like a legendary series that will eclipse anime, then i'm down to watch it someday.
Mar 8, 2022 7:29 PM
Mar 2022
I've seen some of the Chinese anime, and I can't say they're bad, only that they're starting to get better, though it's undeniable that most of them may not be to our liking. For example, the Douluo Continent, which is actually the anime series I've been following.
Mar 8, 2022 7:36 PM

May 2015
I would like to get into Chinese anime. The production quality seems amazing for some shows, but I can't stand Chinese voices in anime. Not that I have anything against the language I just don't like it. Same with English dubs, they just sound off.
I know Link Click is getting a JP dub, I'll check it out. Hopefully more shows follow the same path.
Mar 8, 2022 7:41 PM

Oct 2012
hazecloud said:
take it with a grain of salt as i am definitely clueless about donghua. but when it comes to censorship, the censorship isn't so blatantly bad most of the time, as japan is actually quite lenient to the point most countries will take offense if the already censored for tv slot gets aired in their country.

like i'm still salty that i watched spice and wolf with that inferior wolf if compared to light novel.

there's the bad censorship coming from western too that happened with one piece but my memory quite hazy to elaborate more lol.

western tryna be like morally correct when they be the one leading the adult industry.

chinese language doesn't sound good for enjoyment, heck i don't even like it if my country does it too. japanese voice acting or the language itself sounds like it rhymes well for my preference. maybe if there's like a legendary series that will eclipse anime, then i'm down to watch it someday.
Donghua isn't perfect. It's reasonable that you don't like the sound of Chinese. It's just that when it comes to censorship, the only thing that gets censored really is explicit homosexual romance. I can see the yaoi fans complaining about this, but I don't really see anything else being censored.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Mar 8, 2022 7:48 PM

Jan 2021
Theo1899 said:
There is no such thing as "chinese anime". Anime comes from Japan.

Maybe this thread means Chinese cartoon using anime style or Japanese anime (Japanese title) but made by a studio in China
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is it possible to recommend 2000s Anime to kids nowadays?

Dragevard - Yesterday

26 by juanlqr »»
29 seconds ago

Sticky: » The 'Help Identifying This Anime/Character' Thread (v10) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Koito91 - Dec 21, 2020

7229 by Karimhi »»
50 seconds ago

» Characters you want to sit on you / in your lap uwu

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

23 by RYJWL »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do you dislike historical anime? ( 1 2 )

perseii - Jun 8

51 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

» What anime you think was carried by a single character?

Shizuna - 1 hour ago

15 by GOD_USOPP34 »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.