Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 5, 2021 7:29 PM
Jun 2020
This first episode is great, I hope it continues like this, it has a chance of being the best of Crunchyroll this season.
I loved!
The opening is also top 10/10
Apr 5, 2021 8:13 PM
Feb 2020
super cool looking, hyped for new episodes
Apr 5, 2021 8:15 PM
🦆👑

Jan 2020
This might be my favorite first episode so far. I cam in with 0 expectations but I found it very immersive and I thought it was very solid in terms of atmosphere.

Characters are enjoyable so far and I love the concept of the life of a taxi driver mixed in with mystery elements. Cool animal only setting too.

Apr 5, 2021 8:24 PM

May 2010
The walrus have this Bruce Willis kind of vibe.
Apr 5, 2021 8:29 PM

Aug 2019
I really liked this first episode and the writing is spot on. There are a lot of clever moments in this episode's writing that just connect all the story beats together in a really neat way. Like in the first half of the episode we basically have a conversation about how people lie on the internet for clout, and about how people genuinely don't care for dishonesty. And immediately after that scene, we're introduced to these two cops and one of them is being *dishonest* about his involvement with a criminal.

Throughout the scene, we constantly hear snippets of conversation here and there about a girl who's gone missing, only for us to see a scene with odokawa later on talking to someone we can't see in his apartment. The show is spelling out who's there without having to actually show us because the *writing* was doing most of the work in introducing the characters.

After that, we have the scene with odokawa in the doctor's office in which he, the gorilla, and the Alpaca are having a conversation. He notices that she has a strange little knick-knack and she explains what it is, only for him to ask why *she* would have something like that at all. She then hands it to him, and then WAY LATER ON in the episode we find out that pills have been taken from the back of the doctor's office and she probably is the one who took it. (And because the writers love making parallels between different scenes we can guess that she's going to give that medicine to odokawa, just like how she handed the little eraser to him in the office.)

This is "Show don't tell" but in written form, and it's something I don't normally see in a lot of shows just because some people are terrified of their meanings being misconstrued through their writing, so they normally leave it up to the visuals to tell the audience what's happening. Which is fine and a perfectly good way to convey a story. But it just makes my little writer heart happy to see Show don't Tell being used in its *other* variation for once.
Apr 5, 2021 9:35 PM

Dec 2020
odd but interesting. something i wouldn't usually watch but i dont think ill be dropping it. the animation is pretty cool, especially the painting(?) like backgrounds. op slaps hard too
Apr 5, 2021 10:53 PM

Feb 2019

Weirdly, this is also apparently in the genre of "middle aged men in an inappropriate relationship with a high school girl." Mondays this season have such an unfortunate theme. This one is by far the least offensive of the lot though. The girl doesn't even appear on screen and her disappearance is just referenced repeatedly as the mystery, revealed about halfway to be hiding in Mr. Walrus's closet or something. It's hardly the focus, but there's also not actually any kind of real focus or even a connecting thread that things like Baccano use to string things together. But even Baccano also had mountains of style, action, and panache that was probably far more important than having a billion characters all with their own lives. God only knows why they're all animals too. Essentially never comes up, and never for anything. No Zootopia-like parables to society here.

That's where I think this really struggles. Ironically too, because it begins with this whole bit of listening to failing comedians on the radio getting dragged for faffing around and not getting to the point. So then they go right into a pop song and montage, and most of the episode is spent on trying to do banter, but everybody is dry and monotone. It also only amounts to things like "Hey, you know Bruce Springsteen. I listen to Bruce Springsteen." "You sure seem to like saying Bruce Springsteen." "Bruce Spingsteen is fun to say." "Okay, then say Bruce Springsteen again." The kind of conversation that you might have with a three year old as you contemplate tearing your ears off. There are plenty of hints and teases that virtually every character is hiding some kind of dark secret, but that's as far as any of it goes. A mountain of sniffing the cork, but never pouring a glass, and no good indication that it will be doing so in the near future either, let alone what kind of story it's shooting for.
Apr 5, 2021 11:00 PM

Oct 2016
Didn't expect this show to be like some sort of crime drama, I like it. That OP slaps, damn.

It's weird how Hanae Natsuki is the one voicing Odokawa, I am so used to his loud voice lmao. Odokawa is pretty cynical, honestly can relate to him a little, especially his views on social media and all that. This show feels really grounded and the voice acting feels so natural you know, I hope the show keeps this up, cause it has a lot of potential. Despite there being a mystery, I like how it was easy to follow, there are a lot of hints here and there about what's happening or what's gonna happen next, It's pretty cool. This show has really caught my attention, good stuff.
Apr 6, 2021 12:16 AM

May 2018
apbooyah said:
Really enjoyed it, i've never seen beastars but I'm gonna check it out since it's similar to this.
Also the cops character design is similar to Stewie Griffin lmao

But it's not like Beastars despite people constantly saying that. It's more like Aggressive Retsuko gone noir detective.
Apr 6, 2021 3:24 AM
Mar 2021
Is “Supernatural Love Phenomenon” by Mystery Kiss a real song? It was the song the girl group was singing at the beginning. It’s super catchy.
Apr 6, 2021 5:10 AM

Dec 2013
JohanJ04 said:
This first episode is great, I hope it continues like this, it has a chance of being the best of Crunchyroll this season.
I loved!
The opening is also top 10/10

Yeah man, I only heard the OP and knew I had to pick up this show.
Apr 6, 2021 5:35 AM

Jun 2019
This show looks promising, kinda like how it already makes you suspect that something wrong is happening just from the 1st ep
Apr 6, 2021 5:39 AM

Jun 2019
This was really, really good. Great characters, very good set-up. The opening is beautiful! I was not expecting something like that. Best thing on Crunchyroll this season, so far.
Apr 6, 2021 7:50 AM

Jun 2019
Damn I already love the aesthetic of this show. Tbh, i like the animation. It's different and that's what it makes it cool. Odokawa, i love his character as well. He's pretty straight forward what I like. Enjoyed the first episode. Looking forward to more.
Apr 6, 2021 7:51 AM

Aug 2020
Really good the soundtracks are pretty good and the first is kidda aesthetic

Apr 6, 2021 10:37 AM
Aug 2018
This new Beastars season is rather odd...

Nah, but seriously, this was super good, in a very unexpected way. I feel like the Walrus isn't a reliable narrator, and that makes it all the more intriguing.
Also, anyone else thinking about the fact the people on the radio called themselves "Homosapiens", and that when Odokawa thought of why he became a Taxi Driver, there was a small glimpse in his memories of Humans?
Heck, I'm not even sure if they're really animals or if he's delusional. Either way, the animation is really minimal, but at the same time, it works surprisingly well.
Apr 6, 2021 11:56 AM

Apr 2020
this may be my favorite first episode this season. this episode was such a fun watch with friends as we all notice different little things and theory craft would could be happening. ahh the glory of mystery shows
Apr 6, 2021 12:03 PM

Aug 2019
Punkuin said:
So why exactly is the cast anthropomorphized animals? It had a purpose in Beastars and Zootopia while Bojavck Horseman made excellent use of the concept through visual jokes. Oddtaxi had a couple of of hand jokes and that's it. They could all be humans and nothing would really change.

While the deadpan humour was never gut-busting nor subtle, it was quite enjoyable. Not sure how I feel about the overarching mystery-crime element. Op is great and while the visuals are amateurish, they work well enough. I kind o wish these were 1/2 length episodes with the mc talking to different characters each episode.

I don't think there is a definitive explanation for why everyone is an animal, I think the creator just made everyone animals for funsies lol.
Apr 6, 2021 12:06 PM

Aug 2014
A very good first episode. A strong start for what could be a very good show.
"Even if it has good reviews, if I don't like it then it is shit"

-Some random anime character
Apr 6, 2021 12:32 PM
Apr 2016
https://twitter.com/kbsw_t/status/1314943016344453122

Okay, this is reeeeaaally odd stuff...
Apr 6, 2021 12:42 PM

Jul 2020
It felt like I was watching a Masaaki Yuasa production. Definitely my favorite show this season, if not the year, and I'm still halfway through watching the first episode. I HUNGER for more offbeat stuff like this.
Apr 6, 2021 2:56 PM

Oct 2007

haha what the hell, they sure put a lot of passion in to this project

I wasn't sure, if I dig the vibes of this show, but damn it's good so far
Apr 6, 2021 2:57 PM

Oct 2018
Just episode one and I am SO on board
1738 crack that remix dbz amv (18+)
Apr 6, 2021 3:51 PM

Apr 2018
What an odd episode, I have so many questions but im intrigued to find out more. Definitely one odd episode especially with that ending.
Apr 6, 2021 8:00 PM

Jul 2019
Liking MC lol. He do be based to his extent.

I think this will be interesting but only time will tell.
Apr 6, 2021 10:35 PM

Mar 2017
1 episode in, and i'll say that i'm very enjoying the show.

Surely didn't expect Natsuki Hanae to be the voice actor of Odokawa!

Also, OP is great and i've been listening it on repeat. This anime is odd (heh), but a welcome surprise, nonetheless.

Apr 7, 2021 12:00 AM

Mar 2009
Well, this was quite intriguing. I'm loving the overall mystery going on.
Apr 7, 2021 12:13 AM
Mar 2021
Not the biggest fan of the anthropomorphic character vibe, but shit, this one caught me by surprise. I hope they keep up the pace.
Apr 7, 2021 12:34 AM

Mar 2021
the first episode is good, although the first part was kinda boring, the second part is where the serious thing began. Basically Beastars with mystery genre. I feel like Odokawa would be framed as the murder in the next episodes even if he is innocent. The Daimons were the one that kinda fishy though. Looking forward with the next episodes.

Apr 7, 2021 12:39 AM
Mar 2008
About the animal society and why it's never brought up - I think the scene at the doctor's office and later with Alpaca at the taxi strongly suggest that Odokawa is delusional and everyone is animal because he and only he sees them as animals.

The doctor who grudgingly agrees that he would be a Gorilla if he was an animal and later Alpaca surprised Odokawa recognized her (since she knows he sees people as animals and assumes animals of the same species look all the same to him) and laughs at the "You are the only Alpaca around".

So not only is this a noir detective it has also a strong potential as a psychological drama.

Overall shows give me strong scandinavian crime drama vibe.
Drama-kunApr 7, 2021 12:53 AM
Apr 7, 2021 2:45 AM

Oct 2016
Judging anime by the cover typically works for me, so I already knew I wouldn't hate this.

Natsuki Hanae's voice isn't working for me at all though. Like, it's borderline distracting, but maybe I'll get used to it.
Apr 7, 2021 3:27 AM

Dec 2012
I'm really glad I decided to check this anime out. I was in two minds about it. Very interesting. I really enjoyed the whole vibe of it.
Apr 7, 2021 3:27 AM
Sep 2020
AsterDogma said:
I love this new anime direction since Beastars. I enjoyed every minute of the episode. I believe that since the characters are not human, you pay more attention to the plot than the designs (you are not distracted by seducing anime women) and this adds a charm. I even got the chills at one point.

idk man, that nurse apalca looking kinda cute ngl
Apr 7, 2021 6:17 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah, nice, its not 3gcgi crap. I am surely worry if this is made by a 3g. The story aspect also really intriguing already. The odd taxi, obviously looked so odd. Not too sus, just odd. The mystery element also already strong in these first episode, already involved with such a huge case. I believed the taxi driver had a connection with that missing girl. Then the monkey must be had a relations with that missing girl, y'know, its a strange connection. The police really shamed me with that little scene. Idk if the driver shall be fights next episode. But, well, lets clear the alpace case first, right, driver?

The episode also touched a little society paradigm, such as generation gap crap. Okay. Bruce Springsteen? Lol, okay. Zwitter viralization? The zwitter also exist tho. Its maybe have some hidden meaning. But, anyway, thats honestly quite nice to fill the world-building aspect. So, yeah, i maybe drunk. But Odd Taxi already fill such a good oddity onto my mind.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Apr 7, 2021 7:54 AM

Jan 2021
Its looking good. Love the comedic interactions.
Apr 7, 2021 12:28 PM

Dec 2016
Odokawa might become the first non-human character in my favourite character list. His logical and analytical thinking, he totally gives off INTJ/INTP vibes in my opinion.

The animation is too cute but the plot is quite deep. And the way everyone speaks here is so natural, they don't sound over dramatic like most anime characters.

I'm guessing that missing girl is staying at Odokawa's place. She must have some troubles that made her want to stay away from home. And that police officer is so sus. Can't wait to know more about these mysteries.

The OP is so chilling and relaxing. The OST is amazing.
Apr 7, 2021 12:56 PM

May 2018
MEMZdotEXE said:
AsterDogma said:
I love this new anime direction since Beastars. I enjoyed every minute of the episode. I believe that since the characters are not human, you pay more attention to the plot than the designs (you are not distracted by seducing anime women) and this adds a charm. I even got the chills at one point.

idk man, that nurse apalca looking kinda cute ngl

I see you are a man of culture mah boi! Don't reignite these insignificant embers that are in a deep slumber in my abyssal soul...something may awaken...I will be a new man...

[/secret]
Apr 7, 2021 1:06 PM

Jan 2013
Let me guess, they are all people but the mc sees them as animals.
Apr 7, 2021 6:29 PM
Jan 2018
Pazuzu95 said:

???
You should just watch the show.
Apr 7, 2021 6:46 PM

Jan 2013
TodAboT said:
Pazuzu95 said:

???

>mc has a flashback of human bodies
>gorila doctor speculates that there is something fundamentally off about the mc
>only the mc refers to others as animals
>mc takes drugs or smthing
like the clues are all there
Apr 7, 2021 7:01 PM
Jan 2018
Pazuzu95 said:
TodAboT said:

???

>mc has a flashback of human bodies
>gorila doctor speculates that there is something fundamentally off about the mc
>only the mc refers to others as animals
>mc takes drugs or smthing
like the clues are all there

Oh wow I don't remember the flashback. I might have to watch the episode again.
Apr 7, 2021 7:20 PM

Nov 2019
We had the opening to start with, it really gives the vibe for this kinda edge-of-the-seat anime. We start off with Odukawa driving his taxi car like any mundane day would get. Then later of the episode we are given a mystery chase which are intriguing to watch, Odukawa's background, the missing catperson, and that criminal on the loose. Everything is happening here which everything fell like as if a nighttime drama series, except they are anthromorphic animals under the a Japanese environment
Apr 8, 2021 1:15 AM

Feb 2008
This had an entirely different feel, than what I thought it would be. Really liked this first episode.
Apr 8, 2021 1:18 AM

Oct 2017
I can see this becoming a masterpiece, don't be thrown away by the furry they are more like Animal Farm than anything else, compelling mature characters and story.
Apr 8, 2021 1:40 AM

Jan 2019
I never thought this anime would be... what it actually is. I thought it would be some haha funny talking animals lighthearted comedy. But the art style really is deceiving, dont judge a book by its cover, this is surprisingly intriguing and im already loving all the characters and im 100% hooked on the story.

(also the OST is amazing)
Apr 8, 2021 2:59 AM

Aug 2018
Yeah... so.. apparently I own Twitter in this universe
Apr 8, 2021 5:28 AM

Feb 2020
That was something different.

SerafosMay 22, 9:31 PM
Apr 8, 2021 6:46 AM
Aug 2020
Pretty great Episode like MC attitude always savage every word hahaha
Apr 8, 2021 7:16 AM
Mar 2008
btw, Hippo guy really have twitter account!
Here is his viral post with photo. (note that the post was made last autumn)
https://twitter.com/kbsw_t/status/1314943016344453122?s=20
Apr 8, 2021 9:10 AM

Nov 2016
Style is up my alles, MC feels like my spirit animal and there's even a mystery going on. This is a promising start to say the least.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » How many episodes of Odd Taxi should someone have to watch before their score counts towards MAL's average score?

fluffycow17 - Feb 12, 2023

21 by AkaiSanji »»
Aug 4, 10:51 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Jun 28, 2021

396 by Tobimaroo »»
Jul 25, 1:52 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

KANLen09 - Apr 26, 2021

173 by LilyRoseGretchen »»
Jul 17, 11:06 AM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

KANLen09 - Apr 19, 2021

95 by RGreatDanton »»
Jul 11, 3:30 PM

Poll: » Odd Taxi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Apr 12, 2021

105 by RGreatDanton »»
Jul 11, 2:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.