Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jul 17, 2020 6:17 AM
Mar 2020
I think you guys are missing something. The world is not virtual, the aliens took over Earth and made the human people puppets and eliminating bugs is their way to make sure that no human can ever find out about the truth or even cause trouble.
Jul 17, 2020 6:25 AM

Apr 2011
Ready Player One meets the Matrix. Colour me intrigued.

» "You've fought a valiant duel, my friend..." «

⍏⍏⍏⍏⍏

inspector @ MAL's anime watching challenge
Jul 17, 2020 6:51 AM
Jun 2016
I am so confused. We shift from a story about survival in a post apocalyptic world to a game like SAO played by what !!! robots ?!! binary digits ?!! where is the real world hhhh. Are we in a matrix? I am really lost here and I think it is a good thing. I am hipped to see what will happen.
Jul 17, 2020 7:37 AM

May 2019
What the heck this was very confusing. I hope this confusion goes away in the next few episodes instead of confusing me more. Idk what is real and what is not.
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Jul 17, 2020 8:27 AM
Jul 2018
The number of replies thinking decadence is a virtual simulation is making me question if most people don't just read summaries on the internet and call it a go. Great twist anyway, now that subverted my expectations.
Jul 17, 2020 10:27 AM

Jan 2019
This show went from possibly being another generic fantasy post apocalyptic show to actually having substance, and being original. I’m all for the company, psychological angle and if the storyline continues in this path it has the potential to be as good as Steins Gate.
Jul 17, 2020 11:02 AM

Apr 2012
It's kind of weird to see little-known studios like Nut try to do something so arthouse, old-school science fiction. I didn't understand even half of what was happening in this episode, but to be honest, they managed to buy my attention. Hope this show does not repeat the fate of ReCreators.
Jul 17, 2020 11:32 AM
Jul 2018
Complete failure. Too bad. Could have been a nice, clean, simple show.
Jul 17, 2020 1:06 PM

Nov 2019
I loved the world explained through Ep 1 ,now that there is the whole deviant "bug" and sentient robot aliens thing going on, it kind of kills the shows tone.
It's so hard to take the whole thing seriously even though I respect the shifts in art style.
This might just be one of those shows where I watch up to 5 ep to decide whether to drop it or grind through it.

As of now the only things I watch for are the opening,ending songs and the highly likable MC.
Jul 17, 2020 1:24 PM
Nov 2019
what I just saw in this episode WTF the anime completely changed I hated the choice of anime to put the character design in Cartoon form mixed with drawing from normal anime kkkkk
Jul 17, 2020 1:45 PM

Apr 2016
WHY? WHY? WHY?
The 1st episode was so great , why this stupid plot twist? From 2nd favorite after 1st episode to 1st drop .Disappointing
score 3/10

Jul 17, 2020 2:32 PM

Nov 2013
wtf was this? ...

i'll probably watch one more episode (since i kinda liked Natsume and the main guy in ep 1), but this episode has to be my biggest disappointment of the year... not that i was expecting to enjoy this anime either way... this being a game is lame, and the cartoon thing is even more lame lol
favorite "new girls" from summer <3 ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks (rip all the other choices)
Jul 17, 2020 3:16 PM

Sep 2015
WHAT ON EARTH DID I JUST WATCH?
Jul 17, 2020 4:02 PM

Oct 2012
Great twist. Now no idea where this is going. Will the humans hack out of their (re)programming?
Jul 17, 2020 5:15 PM
Oct 2019
Man this episode was amazing!! Its so nice to watch an original anime episode without any spoilers from manga or anything. I did not expect this to go the way it did and I have do many questions. This is definitely going to be the sleeper, but best anime of Summer 2020.
Jul 17, 2020 6:20 PM

Aug 2018
I absolutely have no idea of how I should react to this episode. It just made me confused 'cause now we'll have a side-story that I don't wanna watch... which is actually the main story ?

Well, as long as these cartoon scenes don't overtake the whole story... why not.
Jul 17, 2020 6:49 PM

Apr 2016
I dont know... I found this espisode, the animation, too childish, and the story seems to be so serious. I wont be able to take this seriously if I keep watching that infantile thing.
Jul 17, 2020 7:29 PM

Feb 2011
went from a 9 to a 4 for me.

Garbage. but mc girl has potential.

Jul 17, 2020 8:17 PM

Jun 2013
Not gonna lie, I was extremely confused in the beginning. I thought that they had their own online internet system and that the avatars just represented the characters. However, I think I understand it now. It seems a bit more interesting knowing that Kaburagi is not really human. I'm guessing his body is either a dead human that they're using or a robot of some sorts? I could be wrong. I'll give it a few more episodes. I'm still on the fence with this one.
臭い-
Jul 17, 2020 8:58 PM
May 2016
o_0 wha...what the what?
Jul 17, 2020 11:31 PM

Oct 2017
I love all the trophes with Plato's Cave, TTGL, Matrix, Logan's run, Ergo Proxy, The Truman Show and soo on. Now one more for the collection, I can't wait for this girl to wake up and tell everyone the truth, as always happens.
Allegory of the cave
ChanbaraJul 17, 2020 11:38 PM
Jul 17, 2020 11:42 PM

Oct 2017
Bibimbapski said:
Not gonna lie, I was extremely confused in the beginning. I thought that they had their own online internet system and that the avatars just represented the characters. However, I think I understand it now. It seems a bit more interesting knowing that Kaburagi is not really human. I'm guessing his body is either a dead human that they're using or a robot of some sorts? I could be wrong. I'll give it a few more episodes. I'm still on the fence with this one.

I think the aliens are 'virtual' and the 'chips' that humans have give access to control the body.
Jul 17, 2020 11:51 PM

Feb 2014
Hory shet!! This turned a whole 180. So the humans are the one being played? Damn, AI's tunimg humans is some weird thing. Let's see where this goes.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Jul 18, 2020 2:13 AM
Jan 2009
Now that was an interesting episode. That said, I didn't really find it as "confusing" as some people seem to have found it, though obviously it raises a bunch of questions it hasn't answered yet.

I think the idea of this episode is to explain who Kaburagi really is and what his motivations are. He's apparently some kind of AI/program controlling a human-looking character? His real job is (at night) to retrieve people who figure out what his company is actually doing. But having seen how replaceable he and the other AI are to the company, he decides to help Natsume in the the hopes of... her maybe changing things, I guess? I suppose that is yet to be seen. But I assume that going forward, we'll see him train Natsume and presumably she will eventually find out what's really going on, and then we'll see what she does. So going forward, the show will likely go back to following Natsume and what she's doing in "the real world".
Pie is delicious.

Jul 18, 2020 3:53 AM
Sep 2018
So, Humans are nearly extinct, they live in what amounts to a giant mecha-fortress. There's also a Corporation that is run by AI. the AI use the humans as avatars to farm fuel from the monsters threatening Human existence, this process is completed in the form of a Video game, where highly productive AI units are fighting for Top Ranks and rewards.

Kaburagi was a Top Ranking AI Ex-Player who due to his actions helped cause the fall of a top team, and as punishment has been delegated to finding troublesome humans or bugs in the game and retrieving chips from their corpses.

Natsume being almost killed on the battlefield as a child, managed to accidentally trick the system into thinking that she is dead. Natsume is a Bug.

Welcome to "Attack on the Matrix, Reverse Isekai Edition."
Jul 18, 2020 6:28 AM
May 2020
Ok sooo what just happened? This was supposed to be a story about humans fighting monsters . Well I didn't really think episode 1 was great but it wasnt bad but this episode. Damn I did not see that coming. I wonder what's next
Jul 18, 2020 7:29 AM
May 2020
TheQuietLife said:
Fushi101 said:
Ok sooo what just happened? This was supposed to be a story about humans fighting monsters . Well I didn't really think episode 1 was great but it wasnt bad but this episode. Damn I did not see that coming. I wonder what's next

So the tankers are all humans. The gears are those little cartoony "robot ish"things. There's a lot of stuff that isn't clear yet, but it seems that it's going to be more about this overarching "company(?)" that is in control of things than combat with the monsters. I think it has a lot of potential. hope it doesn't waste it

The creator of this is the same creator of Death parade so I have faith it will be good
Jul 18, 2020 8:43 AM
Mar 2020
That took an unexpected turn! now Im interested.
Jul 18, 2020 9:06 AM

Oct 2011
Welp. I was very interested in this show from the first episode but then they introduced this cartoon avatar crap and I lost all interest. I understand the huge plot twist and it's a cool concept but that was not what I signed up for when I watched episode 1. I will not rate it however because I didn't watch it. So whoever is rating is based on 2 episodes, you guys are dumb af.
LuxtressJul 18, 2020 9:10 AM
Jul 18, 2020 9:27 AM
Jul 2020
Gears is robotic have human form and can feel sick, when death they will be reset. Minato, commander of deca-dence making game system for gears to get oxyone (fuel of them)
And tankers is all human, in body installed chips to control them not to do anything bad (bug). If they do, the system will process them and chips will recollect by agent (kaburagi).
Natsume don't have a chip cause she was was considered dead by system. and idk the next episode how kaburagi acted against natsume (kill in training / normal training) cause he is bug finder
Jul 18, 2020 10:50 AM

Feb 2017
Well... that was certainly something. Don't know how to feel about it exactly, yet. Right now I can't say I am interested as I was.
Jul 18, 2020 11:13 AM
Mar 2018
Well that twist was pretty damn unexpected. I am honestly at a loss for words here. It was like if Attack on Titan revealed what was in Eren's basement by the second episode without even fully setting up that there was a basement to begin with! Now I am not saying I hate this twist or anything. I really liked it and it opened the doors for so many directions where this show can go and it does make things a whole lot more interesting. My only worry is that I hope they didn't pull out their trump card so early. I hope there is more twists and turns like this one in future episodes. And if it does, Deca-Dence has a very good potential for being anime of this season or at the very least the hidden gem of summer 2020.

SPOILERS

So here's what I can gather from watching this episode. The entire world that we saw in episode one was some sort of a game devised by aliens to earn those little test tube things or whatever. It looks like they need to take these things atleast once a day or they die or something. So here's my question: Which all human characters that we met until this point are actually just aliens? In fact, are all the members of the gear aliens? Is that why Natsume didn't get enlisted? I don't think that's the case because we the boss did say that there are some tankers that did manage to get into The Gears but are they also part aliens as well? Also what the hell is happening with Natsume? Did she really die? Then who is this person? And above all is she really human or something resembling that of a NPC? I am wondering if they are going to go with Astroboy route and just make her a robot that her dad made was once she died in that opening chase sequence. And I am also still a bit confused about the whole bug thing? At first I was under the impression they were basically players who were messing around with their limits. But now I feel like they are basically humans who are getting close to find the truth.

Man, there are so many questions and I can't wait to see where this show goes next. Also my prediction for the boss's back story was kind of true. I did claim that he was possibly demoted for some reason and in a way that seems to be the case. So does this mean that he is actually the protagonist of this entire story? Or are they just going to have dual main characters?
Jul 18, 2020 11:49 AM

May 2015
Soooo...it's a game...A FREAKING GAME???!!! JUST WHY?!!!
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jul 18, 2020 1:53 PM
Nov 2014
The master of plot twists. Very hyped up for the rest of the show!

Jul 18, 2020 5:20 PM

Apr 2015
You don't call this a video game setting, you call this a dystopian setting. This got much more interesting and unique this episode, surprising how so many people are to the contrary

The cartoony parts were extremely Kaiba. To the point that I'm halfway sure this was directly influenced by it.
Jul 18, 2020 7:03 PM

May 2019
I came for AoT and got SAO. But I can't complain, I like the new direction as action shows bore me quickly. I'm actually interested in the show now.
Main girl is still obnoxious af tho.

Jul 18, 2020 8:50 PM

Nov 2014
such a turnoff really..
Jul 18, 2020 10:38 PM

Dec 2013
Gotta say I was pretty interested in this show until they flipped the premise
I shall destroy and hate mankind
Jul 18, 2020 11:14 PM

Dec 2016
Attack on Titan has entered the chat

Attack on Titan has left the chat

Darling in the FranXX has entered the chat

Darling in the FranXX has left the chat

Sword Art Online has entered the chat

So, basically, an alien race has invaded eart and filled it with monsters so they can mind controle humans that become soilders and use their bodies to play video games trough a chip?

And the main character is a human that do not have a chip in it and the alien will train her to get rid of this evil gaming company that also kill people because E-SPORTS?

That is such a trip but sing me in!
heh.
Jul 18, 2020 11:27 PM
Feb 2011
Bob-o-Dominador said:

No, its more a reverse westworld were the player bodies are controlled by robots that may or may not just be humans that too cybernetics to its endpoint and the human people are just towns folk. Its not a virtual world and its not e-sports its just a coat of paint.

People seem to forget that the ep2 reveal is just an ad from the evilcorp do you get killed in real life for underperforming in an MMO or cheating. No clearly not. The robos are all the property of said evilcorp so participation in many respects is not optional. (Its no wonder it has >90% satisfaction but it is considered a bug (punishable by death) to be dissasisfied with your slave life the robo players ironically have less freedom than the real humans do even if the humans and robots don't realize it)
Jul 18, 2020 11:55 PM

Dec 2016
poiuytrewq said:
Bob-o-Dominador said:

No, its more a reverse westworld were the player bodies are controlled by robots that may or may not just be humans that too cybernetics to its endpoint and the human people are just towns folk. Its not a virtual world and its not e-sports its just a coat of paint.

People seem to forget that the ep2 reveal is just an ad from the evilcorp do you get killed in real life for underperforming in an MMO or cheating. No clearly not. The robos are all the property of said evilcorp so participation in many respects is not optional. (Its no wonder it has >90% satisfaction but it is considered a bug (punishable by death) to be dissasisfied with your slave life the robo players ironically have less freedom than the real humans do even if the humans and robots don't realize it)

Yeah I get it, it is far more complicated than SAO but the fact that we have this dinamic betwen the videogame overlords opresing the players (by that I mean the robot things) and humans do remember me of SAO, just that this time there is more things happening, the players and "NPC's" (By that I mean humans) are much more unhappy and the videogame is actually real and the company is some strange fucked up human and robot body stealing scam.

Or I didn't get the show aswell as I expected. Anyways I will happly follow WTF is happening because warping my head around it is being fun.
Bob-o-DominadorJul 19, 2020 12:05 AM
heh.
Jul 19, 2020 3:08 AM
Apr 2020
Uhm. What? They are actually being controlled by those alien-like creatures? It means they don't have consciousness or will, except for Natsume who is considered a bug and dead??

Ao_SkyJul 19, 2020 3:14 AM
Jul 19, 2020 3:24 AM

Jul 2016
Ao_Blue said:
Uhm. What? They are actually being controlled by those alien-like creatures? It means they don't have consciousness or will, except for Natsume who is considered a bug and dead??

Only the Gears are the robot thingys.

The humans are human with chips in them to keep them under control. The bugs are humans who step out of line.
Jul 19, 2020 3:54 AM
Apr 2020
Vindicater said:
Ao_Blue said:

The humans are human with chips in them to keep them under control. The bugs are humans who step out of line.

I think humans are called Gears. If Gears die, those robot-like things will just replace them.

Humans can't basically decide on their own, right? I guess they will be labeled as bugs once they regain consciousness or something.
Jul 19, 2020 4:15 AM
Nov 2015
Idk how people are SO confused by this. There are robots that are watching the humans that can make human avatars of themselves. That's it. Not too deep-- it's a wild plot twist but it's not like... That confusing.

That being said it's hard to take these emotional scenes seriously when all the robots have these weird cutesy cartoony designs. I suppose that could be the intention, because seeing that robot being taken apart in the weird interrogation chamber was pretty creepy still.

Gonna keep watching for Natsume. Hoping the focus is more on the human side of things rather than the weird cutesy robot side.
Jul 19, 2020 6:29 AM

May 2009
Why is everyone saying aliens? Those cartoon avatars might be digital people from before apocalypse.
Jul 19, 2020 8:25 AM
Feb 2017
I find the idea of viewing a story through the eyes of both an NPC and a player in a "simulation" that exists in the real world using people as pawns pretty fascinating. I haven't really seen this format so i have high hopes for it, though it's not what i was hoping this anime would be, i'm not too mad.

First half of this anime i was pretty worried though, thank the gods it's not some "full dive vr" bullshit.
Jul 19, 2020 9:04 AM

Jul 2017
Ao_Blue said:
Vindicater said:

I think humans are called Gears. If Gears die, those robot-like things will just replace them.

Humans can't basically decide on their own, right? I guess they will be labeled as bugs once they regain consciousness or something.

so Kaburagi is basically a human possessed with the robot avatar mind? meanwhile, Natsume still has Human consciousness ? and the previous user of Natsume has already dead? or Natsume... what I'm confused as hell

Jul 19, 2020 4:00 PM

Sep 2018
Not really sure what to think yet, will keep watching for a few weeks before making my mind on this twist
Jul 19, 2020 4:51 PM

Mar 2017
At least trying something different. Sad people won't even give it a chance. This anime's potential just skyrocketed imo and thankfully wasn't as it appeared to be.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2020

242 by AgentDuck »»
Sep 6, 3:58 AM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 2, 2020

127 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 10:28 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2020

138 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 9:07 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Aug 5, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 8:09 PM

Poll: » Deca-Dence Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KANLen09 - Jul 29, 2020

140 by StateofOhayo »»
Jul 13, 7:41 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.