Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Rent-A-Girlfriend
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 10, 2020 2:39 PM

Feb 2010
CHIZURU SO PERFECT, PERFECT!!!
OMGGGGG
Jul 10, 2020 2:47 PM

Mar 2017
bastek66 said:
Warning for all future watchers of this anime - Kazuya is ultimate SIMP. Simpy McCuck should be his 4kids name. Why would anyone waste so much money for prostitute that doesn't even let you fuck her?
Probably because the services are completely different and don't offer the same thing. I'd assume people looking at prostitute just want physical/sexual release. People looking using rent a gf are probably lonely people wanting companionship not sex?
Jul 10, 2020 2:53 PM

Jul 2017
I had a lot of doubts going into this episode. People have been pretty harsh with the series as a whole, and it almost stopped me from enjoying it. You could make a drinking game over how many times users call Kazuya a simp or a cuck, and people are pretty harsh to Chizuru as well. But in spite of it all, I found the premiere to be really fun!

Kazuya's insercure and emotional, which makes perfect sense for him to not only seek out a rental girlfriend but also become irrationally offended when he realizes she's just doing customer service without real feelings. Chizuru reminds me of myself and every female friend I've had who works in customer service- we all have to put on a doting, happy face and sometimes men get mad at us regardless. I also love how sex-positive his grandmother is, and I hope she's a presense throughout the entire show, especially if Kazuya is a self-proclaimed "grandma's boy"

I genuinely wish this wasn't a harem show, as I don't want to draw focus away from what could be a pretty cute couple. Hopefully its more of a shennanigan-harem show, and not one that tries to pretend each girl has an equal chance of getting with the protag.
Jul 10, 2020 2:58 PM

Jul 2014
dlxuniuniu said:
Oh boi. Already love it. Everything is great. Story, setting, characters. Everything!

Those parents and grandmas are simply the best...laughed so hard when they spoke. #sotrue

5000 yen = 46,75 USD. It is cheap or expensive??? Hard to say.... For a college student 50 is a lot of money...... But still cheaper than some other stuffs...

Are you talking about something else with the 5000 yen? cause he paid her 40,000 yen=374$.. I'd say thats quite a lot for just 1 date.
There are people that does that tho, but most of the time its old people wanting a fresh young looking one, you don't normally find young people doing compensated dating in Japan AFAIK since well... not everyone has that kind of cash around here unless you already saved up a lot by working for years which again.. is what old people do... that or really desperate nibba's like this MC that ends up with fck tons of loan but in MC's case... his parent's money thats supposed to be for his college funds.
Jul 10, 2020 3:00 PM

Jul 2016
A really good start, very funny, I hope the show continue like this.
Jul 10, 2020 3:07 PM

Jan 2020
Not really impressed with the first one. Decent animation, good voice acting, but just the story itself screams SIMP and patheticness.

While it's obviously my fault for expecting that the MC would've been anything different than that (He's renting a girlfriend for god sakes), I didn't know that they would steep that low in terms of making the MC seem like a complete trash bag. This is more of the manga's fault instead of the studio itself so I can't blame them, but I'm highly disappointed and will probably be cringing as I watch the rest of the series.
Jul 10, 2020 3:07 PM

Dec 2017
I knew I would like this anime, and hit the target straight. Wonderful! I loved it, loved it, loved it! Right direction, good plans, good pace, good premise, good plot, good characters, good dialogues, good comedy, good romance. What a good anime!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jul 10, 2020 3:14 PM

Oct 2010
If we just look at cast:

Aqua with her friend Megumin are for rent.
Insanity sponsored by Vampire Queen Tanya.
Singing by best idol girl Kanon with stupidity borrowed from Lyria and Koga-kohai-cute.
(omitting a lot)

Oh. My. God.
(Unlimited Budget Works)
Jul 10, 2020 3:14 PM

Feb 2020
Really good first episode, breaking the pace
Jul 10, 2020 3:25 PM

Dec 2019
Visually looks really nice, especially Chizuru.
Here we go again...
Jul 10, 2020 3:33 PM

Jun 2017
Good, the studio nailed this adaptation so far. I didn't expect it to look this good. Can't wait for Sumi to appear.
Jul 10, 2020 3:37 PM

May 2015
This was really fun, probably the best first episode I've watched so far this season. It was funny, and the animation and character designs are great (the girls are super hot). Definitely sticking with this one.

Jul 10, 2020 3:49 PM

Apr 2019
Lionel13927 said:
So many guys over here mad at the MC for no reason lol Get real, folks, this is Japan. Stuff like renting a girlfriend actually happens there. I like how the characters aren't afraid to talk about sex and jerking off and I like the comedy. Also I am tired of high school romantic comedies so a college setting is wayyy more appealing to me. Might actually be a hidden gem this one.

The first comment here I actually agree with. I really enjoyed this first episode, really funny and weirdly cute.
my life was made with mematic.
Jul 10, 2020 4:31 PM

Apr 2020
amamiya sora really did well voicing chizuru
too bad MC is a loser, i'll be mad if there's no character development

Jul 10, 2020 4:33 PM

Oct 2010
I liked the cute girls, and they're actually legal for once lol
Jul 10, 2020 4:44 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Why on earth does everyone immediately assume that the MC is a loser? Remember, he had an ACTUAL girlfriend recently, so he clearly isn't completely antisocial. Yes, perhaps he made a impulsive choice when he was depressed by renting a girlfriend, but it's not a completely unreasonable action. When you feel lonely, you just want company sometimes. Asking her on the second date was a jerk move, but he realized that himself and apologized. That is not how a loser behaves!!!

I thought this was a very fun first episode, much better than I was expecting. If it explores its themes well, it could be a masterpiece, but I am a bit afraid it will be caught up in harem nonsense. I hope someday writer's realize that there are plenty of ways to introduce romantic conflict without taking the easy road of just adding another option to the menu.
Every day you can read a book or watch some anime is a good day!
Jul 10, 2020 5:01 PM
Nov 2019
To be honest i wasn't expecting it to be good but damn, i was wrong. This was really funny, art is very good, some funny face reactions. Voice acting nailed by both and i really liked kazuya's grandma...
Jul 10, 2020 5:01 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
WTF is this work ? I bet it really exist in Japan and it's actually VERY sad, at least pay a real prostitue... MC seems to be brainless.
The anime itself is really enjoyable and I want to see the next episode but well all these girls seem to have no self esteem, same for the MC
Jul 10, 2020 5:15 PM
Nov 2019
Top tier seiyuus, nice animation, nice story and also a nice start of the beginning of the series. I dont read the manga, but maybe i should read it from now. And also nice song from the peggies.
Jul 10, 2020 5:28 PM
Oct 2015
Where Mami?????????
Jul 10, 2020 5:35 PM
Feb 2020
Easily Nisekoi 2.0, but at least it was upfront about being so.

Enjoyed seeing the MC actually getting kicked for reacting, perfectly plausible on both sides
BastionoJul 10, 2020 5:58 PM
Jul 10, 2020 5:44 PM

Feb 2016
The animation was nice but the story...... was pretty alright
Well I'll stick to see where the story goes from here
Jul 10, 2020 6:06 PM

Nov 2017
Ashhk said:
WTF is this work ? I bet it really exist in Japan and it's actually VERY sad, at least pay a real prostitue... MC seems to be brainless.
The anime itself is really enjoyable and I want to see the next episode but well all these girls seem to have no self esteem, same for the MC

Yes the MC is pretty brainless,but later on he'll show he's a lot more of a man than this ep showed(hopefully)(though he does show his brainless side a lot as well)
As for the work,it's real,it's not sad,not everyone who does/pays for this just wants sex,and it's not just in Japan,theres similar work all over the world.
Anyway,as for the anime,not too bad.I've read a few vols of the manga and so far its adapted quite well(few bits missing,but that happens in most adaptions anyways).
Looking forward to the rest of it.
Jul 10, 2020 6:23 PM

Aug 2019
kinda glad i’m not the only person that thought the mc was a cuck for even renting a girlfriend, but i just want to see where this series goes from here.
Jul 10, 2020 6:24 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Starhammer said:
Ashhk said:

Yes the MC is pretty brainless,but later on he'll show he's a lot more of a man than this ep showed(hopefully)(though he does show his brainless side a lot as well)
As for the work,it's real,it's not sad,not everyone who does/pays for this just wants sex,and it's not just in Japan,theres similar work all over the world.
Anyway,as for the anime,not too bad.I've read a few vols of the manga and so far its adapted quite well(few bits missing,but that happens in most adaptions anyways).
But it's not a question of sex to be honest, I just find absolutely sad that people have to pay a fake girlfriend to fill their love gap or to make their family happy, I know it's just a anime and it's for comedy purpose but it's making the whole thing more cringe and disturbing when you know that it actually really exist
Jul 10, 2020 6:27 PM

Aug 2016
Well, what can I say. I just hated every character in this anime.
:v
Jul 10, 2020 6:35 PM

Dec 2015
Unironically my favorite debut of this season. I honestly believe most people are trashing the MC just to give the impression they're "above" him, but I'm pretty sure most people in here are actually not that much different from him.

That "everybody is lonely" really hit me. Pretty similar to Kenny's idea on SNK and also pretty accurate.
BetterTasteJul 11, 2020 4:21 AM
Jul 10, 2020 6:35 PM

Mar 2018
This gives off the gamers cringe vibe, but its quite enjoyable nonetheless.
Jul 10, 2020 7:09 PM

Jul 2012
Anime only here so I'm going to just post my thoughts without really reading anyone else's to avoid spoilers.

I really liked this first episode. The Peggies are my favorite band right now, so I really appreciated their new song as well.

I came in expecting Nisekoi vibes, and those were reached to a certain extent. I am excited for more.
Jul 10, 2020 7:15 PM

Dec 2014
This was surprisingly good, I liked it a lot. The premise is fun and execution is great to a nice comedic effect.

Chizuru is best girl already, I'm almost certain she'll be my favorite. Her interactions with Kazuya are amusing and I'm interested in how the plot will evolve.

The art is fantastic, the hospital scene was all sorts of good. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 10, 2020 7:17 PM
Nov 2017
Wow I’m not sure I will like this at all. MC is the ultimate beta that every ntr has, and he even imagines getting cucked after the break up which technically isn’t ntr but might as well be since the preview shows her coming back around. I can already picture the hentai that this beta would be in while every girl that the Mc gets around gets poled and the bed scene face she made becomes a twisted mess while he holds her hand, then he says I will continue to support u while u cheat on me and I love u still
Jul 10, 2020 7:25 PM

Nov 2017
Ashhk said:
Starhammer said:

But it's not a question of sex to be honest, I just find absolutely sad that people have to pay a fake girlfriend to fill their love gap or to make their family happy, I know it's just a anime and it's for comedy purpose but it's making the whole thing more cringe and disturbing when you know that it actually really exist
Yeah,I can see what you mean,but in a lot of cases its not just to fill a "love gap" or to make their family happy,they simply don't have the time(as in japanese salarymen esp),too busy working all hrs etc etc.It's harsh,but a lot of the time they don't want sex,or love,just companionship,or an ear to listen.Take a look at Geisha for instance,a lot of that is just companionship,someone versed in conversation,music etc etc to spend some time with,and feel like your not just a corporate slave,or number.And if you want a somewhat warped view of it(and I am nothing if not warped :),what do you consider dating to be,or marriage? - I've been married(and with) the same woman since I was 17,and I've spent a HELL of a lot more than (for example,the MC in this anime)in my time married,and before on dates and such.
Anyways,yeah,I can see your pov,but I think it's just one of those things.
Another thing to consider is the fact that in Japan,the pressure to get a job,or work,esp on the young has led to a lot of young men and women to not even look for love,or a relationship.I watched a program where Sue Perkins went to Japan and one of the bits was about just this,and she went with a young girl,who didn't feel she had time to get a boyfriend/marriage etc,and she had a "solo wedding",photograph,dress etc etc.All this because of the pressure to be in the workforce.
Its a sad world,and sometimes we see things that seem to make it even sadder,but it has a bright side to it too.
On a side note,when I watched that show,I would probably agree with a lot of people in saying that it was a shame,that solo wedding girl was really attractive:)
Or maybe I was just being a perv :)
Damn,that was one of the longest posts I've done :)

Btw,thanks for the reply,I like it when someone gives me a straight and thoughtful answer,and not just a load of angry rhetoric :)
StarhammerJul 10, 2020 7:33 PM
Jul 10, 2020 7:32 PM

Nov 2017
Phoenix_Trite said:
Anime only here so I'm going to just post my thoughts without really reading anyone else's to avoid spoilers.

I really liked this first episode. The Peggies are my favorite band right now, so I really appreciated their new song as well.

I came in expecting Nisekoi vibes, and those were reached to a certain extent. I am excited for more.

I agree about The Peggies,esp since I first heard their song Kimi no Sei from Bunny Girl Sempai.That was a superb song,and I'm looking forward to hearing more from them.
Jul 10, 2020 7:33 PM
Apr 2019
amazing vibes for romcom slice of life. i have a feeling that it make us cry in the ending and wanting more.
Jul 10, 2020 7:40 PM
Jun 2013
killoff said:
so do i understand that right: he is mad at her because he says shes playing with the hearts of men........
When she is literally a rental gf, so basically a getting paid to give a guy a relationship feeling. Sounds like hes a damn hypocrite.
Next thing is complaining about prostitutes not actually having sex with you because they love you but for money ?

He isn't a hyprocrite, he's a person with a broken heart, did you ever got dumped or rejected by a person you liked? he was frustrated, sad and feeling lonely, he discovered the girlfriend service and hired her in a impulse, in the first date he got overwhelmed by her but after looking at the comments reality hit him so his frustration and negative thoughts started to increase in the second date when he noticed all her "professional" actions to please him, he literally explained to her in the end of the episode, he wasn't being rational but emotional.
Jul 10, 2020 9:41 PM

Feb 2009
This could be a cute rom-com I guess, if not a bit more silly and on the ecchi side of things. There's probably an uncensored version too, but so far I like it enough to continue!!

Jul 10, 2020 9:46 PM

Aug 2019
yeh that was, that was definitely something. As weird as the plot is on paper, this anime seems to know where it wants to go, so hopefully it'll be a fun one to watch. But definitely won't over hype myself.
Feels bad for my guy Kazuya in the first half, ngl at first i thought i was looking at a recording of myself during my breakup but it wasn't, and i don't really know how to feel about that.
Still my parents + grandparents would have the exact same reaction if i brought a girl home. Parents would be in disbelief that someone would find me appealing and my grandma would ask if she's pregnant yet so the bloodline will continue.
all in all, quite ecchi but funny and painfully realistic/relatable at times. I will most undoubtedly be watching this anime's carrier with great interest.
Jul 10, 2020 9:48 PM

Apr 2020
Some peps here really misunderstanding the diamond. Diamond is a rental gf service. It has some traits that are similar in prostitution
stuff but it's not really like that smh. Prostitution engage with sexual activities and it's for the people who feel lust or lecherous peps. Diamond service is for the people who are broken hearted or sad bois that wants to feel love even though it's not genuine. If you get rejected, you'll really feel Kazuya smh. In the first ep, he got overwhelmed by Chizuru that's why he went too far on Rent-a-girlfriend terms and services.
RegulusXJul 10, 2020 9:53 PM
Jul 10, 2020 9:57 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
Ashhk said:

I personally think that renting a girlfriend shows a lot more maturity than just paying for a prostitute. It requires acknowledging that the emotional aspects of being in a relationship are probably more important than the physical aspects. Instead of spending your time using someone's body to get a sexual pleasure rush, you spend your time getting to know another person. For many first dates, there's a monetary cost for the guy and no guarantee of romantic progress; here that is simply codified from the start.

Is it a little bit sad? Yes, but I can't say I don't see the temptation. For some people, myself included, dating is extremely difficult. Getting to know people is an often painful process. Meeting people in the first place is difficult, particularly considering the former. When you don't have a mainstream personality or set of interests, things are only further complicated. Wanting to wake up, go out, have a fun time, and go home knowing that someone of the opposite sex paid the least bit of attention to you is tempting, especially since it is far more innocent than prostitution. I don't begrudge anyone living a day in the dream of having found that special someone. It's why so many people like the romance genre in the first place.
Jul 10, 2020 9:59 PM

Apr 2020
As for the people who are here because it has Nisekoi vibes. You came to the right show. But, honestly Raku is more tolerable than Kazuya so be prepared.

As for the people who are expecting this not to turn harem. Don't worry, Kazuya is loyal. He's not like Raku.

And for those people who watch anime to escape reality, it's not for you. Dumbass. If you get rejected the way Kazuya was, lt'll hit you too hard.
RegulusXJul 10, 2020 10:02 PM
Jul 10, 2020 9:59 PM
Fuwa_san

Mar 2013
I see Konosuba's Aqua sama in Chizuru. lmao

A new season = a new waifu

very nice song at the end
the peggies went from BunnyGirl Senpai to Kanojo Okarishimasu
Jul 10, 2020 10:02 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
JuzuX said:
As for the people who are expecting this not to turn harem. Don't worry, Kazuya is loyal. He's not like Raku.

Thank goodness this isn't going to be a harem (I assume you know what you're talking about!)
Jul 10, 2020 10:06 PM

Apr 2020
gaussian_ said:
JuzuX said:

Thank goodness this isn't going to be a harem (I assume you know what you're talking about!)

Well. We have 2 definitions of Harem.
Harem 1 - Boy surrounded with the girls
but loyal to one girl.
Harem 2 - Boy surrounded with the girls
and he have multiple love interest.

Kazuya is on the harem 1 because

But, who knows?
Jul 10, 2020 10:12 PM

Mar 2019
Nice First Episode...

Comparing in to the Manga, i think they did a good job in this first episode...

CANT WAIT FOR SUMI!!!! #TeamSAKURASAWA!!!

PS: Warning: If you havent read the Manga, your Seasonal Waifu may change in the later episodes....
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Jul 10, 2020 10:16 PM

Nov 2011
Chizuru Glasses > Work Chizuru. Why the weird faces at times in this anime though. I felt like they just did not fit.

The animation is CLEAN though! I love it. I keep hearing our MC is garbage but hopefully cute girls (outside of Blonde who i INSTANTLY dislike) can keep this anime a float.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jul 10, 2020 10:22 PM

Dec 2019
First ep was alright tbh, the art and sound are average for 2020 (so it's good) but if people are calling him a simp for that, ooooh boy, he really simps out for her later in the story

Manga spoilers

(also my guy is just trying to relieve the pain of being dumped by renting a gf and he knows (I think) that he isn't getting anything outta it so I don't think he qualifies to be a simp... yet)

But I enjoyed most of the manga so far so I think I will like this adaptation
RBR-8manJul 10, 2020 10:30 PM
Jul 10, 2020 10:23 PM
Review Moderator
Book Princess

Nov 2018
JuzuX said:
but loyal to one girl.

Though I'd probably prefer no harem to harem, harem 1 is massively better than harem 2.
Jul 10, 2020 10:27 PM

Apr 2020
gaussian_ said:
JuzuX said:
but loyal to one girl.

Though I'd probably prefer no harem to harem, harem 1 is massively better than harem 2.

Without a harem, this will not last 100 chaps really. Because
. Nah enough spoilers, just enjoy the show bro. You'll enjoy it and hate it at the same time.
Jul 10, 2020 10:30 PM

May 2009
red110 said:
This mentality is super fucking annoying. If you loved someone I think you'd want to be with them and support them, he's not a simp for wanting to be with the one he loves you fucking moron.

That scene also made him cuck so he's worse than simp.
Jul 10, 2020 10:33 PM

May 2018
Did he just masturbate while imagine his ex slept with someone else? Yeah,definitely a cuck. I can imagine a lot of NTR doujin going for this series.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » aside from the mc being unlikeable, what else do people hate about this show?

FruitPunchBaka - May 13

47 by Vampire_Lord »»
May 24, 10:23 AM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 21, 2020

216 by gamer78 »»
May 18, 7:32 AM

Poll: » Kanojo, Okarishimasu Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

RegulusX - Jul 17, 2020

294 by afromarco005 »»
Apr 9, 9:32 AM

Poll: » overhated, overlooked, and genuinely a real depiction of romance. ( 1 2 )

removed-user - Nov 1, 2023

79 by BigBoyAdvance »»
Mar 26, 9:05 AM

» What if Rent a girlfriend had Good story, Good romance and Good character development ( 1 2 )

Reckless_weeb - Mar 6

54 by kurayamiberkay »»
Mar 22, 10:06 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.