Forum Settings
Forums

what are the top 3 most dissapointing 2019 anime you watched this year?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Dec 15, 2019 10:42 AM

May 2018
Dr Stone was literally awful, the pacing and characters were so shit, it was rubbish and I couldn't even finish the first episode. I was disappointed because the synopsis sounded so interesting... I still dont understand how anyone could of enjoyed it.

Also compared to the first season, Kakegurui XX just felt off. I really didn't enjoy it and ended up forcing myself to watch it in the hopes it got better. The pacing was weird and it kinda felt like the anime asspulling new ideas for the story that made literally no sense. I mean Yumeko was still crazy ass Yumeko so at least that wasn't ruined.

That's all I can think of really, I guess I got pretty bored of Fire Force and I dropped it like 7 or 8 episodes in??
SeijatachiiiiDec 15, 2019 10:50 AM
Dec 15, 2019 10:45 AM

Sep 2014
Kaguya Sama and HitoriBocchi both had a decently good first episode. Then after a few more episodes it turned out really boring and repetitive.
Dec 15, 2019 11:07 AM
Sep 2018
-Aincrad- said:
1.Arifureta
2.Arifureta
3.Arifureta
HM: Arifureta

And I'd also like to add Arifureta to the list

next year:

1. arifureta s2
2. arifureta s2
3. arifureta s2
Dec 15, 2019 12:05 PM

Dec 2018
RMikami said:
Demon Slayer - I was enjoying it until Zenitsu and Inosuke showed up, then I dropped it.

No Guns Life - Looked interesting on the cover, couldn't get past the first episode.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants - Yawn. Lost interest.

so not most dissapointing, just shows you dropped after 2 minutes. dont think you got the right idea
Dec 15, 2019 12:07 PM

Dec 2018
1. mob psycho s2
2. rest of shows i watched from 2019 were pretty bad or meh, not dissapointing
Dec 15, 2019 12:20 PM

Feb 2018
1. dororo most overrated anime of the year
2. danmachi s2 just depressing
3. sao alicization being just sao

Dec 15, 2019 2:12 PM

Sep 2019
Just_A_ManBOi said:
RMikami said:
Demon Slayer - I was enjoying it until Zenitsu and Inosuke showed up, then I dropped it.

No Guns Life - Looked interesting on the cover, couldn't get past the first episode.

Midnight Occult Civil Servants - Yawn. Lost interest.

so not most dissapointing, just shows you dropped after 2 minutes. dont think you got the right idea

Two minutes? I only watched one episode of No Guns Life, but I watched 17 episodes of Demon Slayer and 3 of Midnight Occult Civil Servants.

If you insist on shows that I've completed, then it's harder to come up with something. If I didn't drop it, then I wasn't very disappointed, was I? Well, let me try to come up with a few anyway.

Demon Lord Retry - I was hoping it would move on from the hot springs development, but it never did. It just kind of dragged on in a boring way.

That Time I God Reincarnated As a Slime - My favorite character got killed off early on. None of the other characters really measured up.

Meiji Tokyo Renka - The rest of the show didn't measure up to the first episode. I really liked that first episode. Still, the rest of the show was pretty good.
Dec 15, 2019 4:09 PM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
Just_A_ManBOi said:
1. mob psycho s2

I was also very dissapointed in Mob Psycho s2 but that was my own fault for re-checking some parts of s1 to see if it still aligned with my taste.
Dec 15, 2019 4:46 PM

Dec 2018
Roevhaal said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:
1. mob psycho s2

I was also very dissapointed in Mob Psycho s2 but that was my own fault for re-checking some parts of s1 to see if it still aligned with my taste.

ye, i saw 1st season as a very fun lighthearted show taht had potential for a dark or intense story. s2 was just mehhh
Dec 15, 2019 4:49 PM

Dec 2018
RMikami said:
Just_A_ManBOi said:

Two minutes? I only watched one episode of No Guns Life, but I watched 17 episodes of Demon Slayer and 3 of Midnight Occult Civil Servants.

If you insist on shows that I've completed, then it's harder to come up with something. If I didn't drop it, then I wasn't very disappointed, was I? Well, let me try to come up with a few anyway.

Demon Lord Retry - I was hoping it would move on from the hot springs development, but it never did. It just kind of dragged on in a boring way.

That Time I God Reincarnated As a Slime - My favorite character got killed off early on. None of the other characters really measured up.

Meiji Tokyo Renka - The rest of the show didn't measure up to the first episode. I really liked that first episode. Still, the rest of the show was pretty good.

ye thats better, much more interested in ur opinion now
Dec 16, 2019 1:30 AM

Jan 2019
1. The rising of the shield hero

First few episodes were ok, but then it turned into junky isekai with boring characters and episodes. The only way to make the MC look cool is by making everyone else look unrealistically rude and trashy, but that leads to inconsistency for characters like sword hero since they have to make everyone look bad except for Naofumi and his party.

2. That time I got reincarnated as a slime

Concept and animation started off ok, but it turned into a junky isekai where all the MC does is acquire more allies and win more battles without any real threat. Really makes the story lacking in where it can go since all he's gonna do is consume more and more powers and that's it.

3. Fire force

People hyped it up since the source material was promising and I thought the opening was good. It turned out to be a train wreck because the animation is choppy and even a lot of the fight scenes are lame. Characters aren't interesting, and there's no music where there should be some at times. It's hard to understand why people are fangawking over maki and tamaki or whatever since the show isn't even that good in the first place.
Dec 16, 2019 2:47 AM
Jan 2019
1: Isekai Cheat Magician - In terms of the writing, it's pretty bad here ngl. There's no real cohesive story and I'm gonna be honest with you, this anime copies the codes of Isekai's well, but doesn't do much from that, no real plot, no outstanding character, nothing.

2: Cop Craft - Starting with flaws, the story itself is fairly average, with several generic character and story tropes thrown in. Because of this, it makes it a lot harder for this show to stand out among its competitors, and it may not be interesting enough to keep some people interested in it. It also may limit what will be able to be done with the story in the long run.

3: One Punch Man 2nd Season - OPM S2 is not great by any means, but it's not terrible either. If you can subvert your expectations from episode 1, then maybe you can just sit back and enjoy this anime. It's not that much of a train wreck. I've seen worse. No way in hell was JC Staff going to be able to produce something as good as MadHouse anyway.
Dec 16, 2019 3:04 AM

Apr 2019
I' very selective and watch only a handful of shows, and drop early. Thus "disappointing" is maybe too strong a word. Of those I actually finished, the weakest of 2019 were:

No Guns Life - Very shounenesque, confusing, and boring
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka II - holy crap
Dr. Stone - glorified kids show selling middle school chemistry as genius

Dec 16, 2019 6:36 AM

Jun 2016
OPM S2
Carole & Tuesday
Demon Slayer (this one isn't bad, just nowhere close to a masterpiece yet)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2019 6:39 AM
Apr 2016
Rising shield hero

Carole & Tuesday

One Punch Man S2
Dec 16, 2019 6:58 AM
Apr 2018
1. Fire Force - It'd pack a lot more punch if the animation was actually comprehensible. I still really liked the first villain though

2. Tate no Yuusha - Really sad about this one. It promised so much originality initially, like I still remember its first episode and how much I liked it, but crashed my expectations not long afterwards

3. Shokugeki no Souma - I'm not really sure I have the authority to say anything on this because I've watched just 2 episodes, but from what I've seen it's literally just a powerpoint presentation and heavily recapped. WHERES THE HOT STUFF MAN I WAS SO EXCITED FOR THIS ESPECIALLY

These are in no particular order but if i had to rank, I'd say I'm most disappointed with SnS, then TnY and then Fire Force.
Dec 16, 2019 9:43 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
inim said:
I' very selective and watch only a handful of shows, and drop early. Thus "disappointing" is maybe too strong a word. Of those I actually finished, the weakest of 2019 were:

I'd agree on these although I didn't even try No Guns Life since I knew it was gonna be a psuedo seinen, I liked s1 of Danmachi, nothing unique but it was fun, this season tho, ugh. Dr. Stone is a glorified kids show but I'm not sure what you mean with the latter half of the sentence, Senku is definitly a genius.
Dec 16, 2019 9:53 AM

Nov 2016
1. Nanatsu no Taizai, I don't need o explain why.

2. One Punch Man s2

3. Fire Force
Dec 16, 2019 10:03 AM

Sep 2016
Mom Isekai - Cringy trash

And that's it for this year...for now.
bruh
Dec 16, 2019 10:08 AM
Jul 2019
Dororo in the starting it looks so promising but
But after that it becomes so boring
Apart from dororo none of the anime that i watched in this year disappointing
Actually i had watched very few animes from this year not even 5
Flamestriker101Dec 16, 2019 10:11 AM
Dec 16, 2019 10:12 AM
Nov 2018
Gunjou no Magmel - Judging from the 1st Episode, I expected great things about it, and I even thought it could be a bit like Made in Abyss or Hunter x Hunter as a Adventure Anime, but it wasn't.

Tate no Yuusha No Nariagari - Everyone hyped this show because of the manga and the 1st Episode was incredible so I thought the anime would be great but it ended being mediocre.

One Punch Man Season 2 - I didn't expected great things about this one because from the trailers I could already see that the visuals were going to fall off and I didn't liked the 1st Season so much, but even so, it was pretty bad.
Dec 16, 2019 11:31 AM

Apr 2019
Roevhaal said:
inim said:
Dr. Stone is a glorified kids show but I'm not sure what you mean with the latter half of the sentence, Senku is definitly a genius.
I'm not a friend of depiction geniuses in a way that permanently rubs it into your face (that would e.g. include Death Note). In my experience, IRL the really smart people don't emphasize it, and that way often have an advantage because they are understimated (e.g. Wengli in LotGH). We all know how annoying people telling everybody "I'm a stable genius!" are ...

As for Senku in particular, omfg. Say one more time "10000 billion percent" and I kill this moe blob koneko. "E=mc² on your shirt is the equivalent of the "stable genius" quote, just silly. The much bigger problem is how utterly unrealistic the process of science is depicted. Even if Senku would be in Einstein's genius league, that wouldn't help at all with getting the parameters like pressure, temperature, concentration etc. in the complex chemical processes right. They are the result of heuristic research, not genius insights. They depict that once early on with the alcohol distillery, and after that just handwavingly assume he gets way more complicated metallurgical processes right without trial and error.

I worked in scientific research for some years, and Senku annoys the crap out of me. If anything he can be seen as a cartoonish character suited to interest middle schoolers into science. Which is a good thing, but certainly nothing I want to watch as an adult. So no season two for me.

Dec 16, 2019 11:38 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
inim said:
Roevhaal said:
Dr. Stone is a glorified kids show but I'm not sure what you mean with the latter half of the sentence, Senku is definitly a genius.
I'm not a friend of depiction geniuses in a way that permanently rubs it into your face (that would e.g. include Death Note). In my experience, IRL the really smart people don't emphasize it, and that way often have an advantage because they are understimated (e.g. Wengli in LotGH). We all know how annoying people telling everybody "I'm a stable genius!" are ...

As for Senku in particular, omfg. Say one more time "10000 billion percent" and I kill this moe blob koneko. "E=mc² on your shirt is the equivalent of the "stable genius" quote, just silly. The much bigger problem is how utterly unrealistic the process of science is depicted. Even if Senku would be in Einstein's genius league, that wouldn't help at all with getting the parameters like pressure, temperature, concentration etc. in the complex chemical processes right. They are the result of heuristic research, not genius insights. They depict that once early on with the alcohol distillery, and after that just handwavingly assume he gets way more complicated metallurgical processes right without trial and error.

I worked in scientific research for some years, and Senku annoys the crap out of me. If anything he can be seen as a cartoonish character suited to interest middle schoolers into science. Which is a good thing, but certainly nothing I want to watch as an adult. So no season two for me.
I see, that's fair, didn't bother me too much though apart from his gags and 10 billion percent crap.
Dec 16, 2019 11:44 AM
May 2017
OH wow, my most disappointing anime from this year?

My first anime would probably have to be Isekai Cheat Magician. I was going into it expecting something a bit different from the generic slurry of isekai I've seen over the past few years. I recently started watching That Time I got Reincarnated as a Slime and KonoSuba, so I was interested to see if people would twist the isekai genre even further. From what I read, it sounded like a romp in a magical world with a more interesting magical system than SAO, and I was glad when I read Entourage Films, the studio behind Hitorijime! My Hero was working on it, I thought I'd like it.

Unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I got generic characters, bland animation, confusing storylines, and one hell of a confusing character arc. I will give the designs a little respect due to their unique style, but everything else just ruined my chances to enjoy it.

The second anime, and I'm ashamed to say this, was Yamishibai.
I love the series, don't get me wrong. It's papercraft animation works well with the stories it tells, and sets the tone immediately. The length of each episode makes each scare count, and it's fun to binge the entire season when you're bored.

The problem is the scares have become lackluster. The first season relied heavily on suspense and dread to build atmosphere for simple stories, leading up to the scares, or in some episodes, implied scares. And that was enough to make me appreciate it as a limited horror series with heart. Now, the series has gone on for so long and become accustomed to jump scaring the audience that everything else about it becomes dull. What's worse, the stories have become predictable. Which isn't a problem; if the story is told well, and you know where it's going, then you can stay on the ride. The stories aren't told very well in later seasons, leaving me to see where the lines are drawn and to get off the ride before it starts.

I'm glad the show continues, but I want to see a shake up in this formula, and a move away from Western styled horror and a move back to a more lingering horror.

Can't really think of a third one.
Dec 16, 2019 11:57 AM

Nov 2019
Strike Witches: 501 Butai Hasshin Shimasu! -didn't just drop the ball. chucked it in a volcano
Azur Lane -oozing wasted potential
Dec 16, 2019 3:11 PM

Oct 2017
I don't like to be too negative, so instead of listing the two or three shows I wanted to like but ended up flat-out disliking, I'll just list a few that I liked well enough, but had the potential to be much better.

Boogiepop wa Warawanai (7/10)
There were moments in this anime where it got to 9/10 sort of territory, especially the third arc, but the final arc was very disappointing for me, and the rest was so-so. It's also an anime which falls in to the trap of having too many characters and not focusing enough on the really interesting characters, which makes it a bit frustrating to watch. Overall I loved the eerie atmosphere created from the understated direction / sound design / art, but the plot just didn't grip me outside of the third arc and for moments in other arcs.

Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo (6/10)
Thought I was going to get a quirky and light-hearted but bold attempt to tell a story about sex. Devolved into bad melodrama, not doing anything interesting with the plot strands it set up in the first half. Also it's not about sex, it's about girls being nervous about the prospect of sex in a kind of unrealistic way. Not that these things always need to be realistic, but it's hard to get immersed when everything feels kind of... I guess I felt the drama was forced and unnatural. Premise, characters, art and overall production in terms of direction, sound etc. were all great though.

Kanata no Astra (7/10)
I must have been watching a different show up until that ending. I thought it had a serious plot with some light-hearted elements and after several awesome plot twists I expected it to shift in to a higher gear but instead the whole thing got resolved quickly and cheesily in one of the biggest let-down endings I've ever seen. I get why people like it. But I wanted more. Seriously likeable characters, excellent premise and plot up until the ending.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Dec 16, 2019 3:39 PM

Apr 2016
I’d say:
- OPM S2
- The Riding of the Shield Hero, I disliked it a lot
- Kono Oto Tomare S2
Dec 16, 2019 3:42 PM

Oct 2018
I didn't watch a lot of new anime this year so the only ones I can thiink of were Rising of the Shield Hero and Enen no Shouboutai
If you're reading this and you haven't watched Mob Psycho 100, go watch it and then continue with what you were doing.

Also, for the record, JoJo is great, it's fans are not.
Dec 16, 2019 3:44 PM

Oct 2018
inim said:

Being similar to shounen is a bad thing?
If you're reading this and you haven't watched Mob Psycho 100, go watch it and then continue with what you were doing.

Also, for the record, JoJo is great, it's fans are not.
Dec 16, 2019 3:48 PM

Oct 2013
I haven't even seen everything i wanted to from this year yet, and honestly out of everything i have seen the only thing I'd consider disappointing is that Black Fox movie. Seriously, I was really looking forward to that and it took a huge shit on my expectations.
Dec 16, 2019 3:56 PM

Jan 2015
Dr. Stone was hyped up so hard by manga readers, but it's not that great. It's a rather average anime with a mix of average and bad characters with absolutely abysmal comedy.
Dec 16, 2019 4:40 PM
Sep 2017
1)Arifureta- Horrible first episode and the CGI are trash
2)Fire Force- Bored to death
3)N/A
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 16, 2019 11:25 PM

Apr 2019
Monixdotexe said:
inim said:
Depending on one's taste and age, shonen-esque can be a good or bad thing. I use it derogatiovely, because shounen is one of the least favorite genres within my shit taste. Your mileage may differ. And it's here in my list because NGL is tagged seinen, but watching it didn't feel like seinen at all, so I was disappointed.

Dec 17, 2019 3:29 AM
Tail On!

Aug 2018
inim said:
Monixdotexe said:
Depending on one's taste and age, shonen-esque can be a good or bad thing. I use it derogatiovely, because shounen is one of the least favorite genres within my shit taste. Your mileage may differ. And it's here in my list because NGL is tagged seinen, but watching it didn't feel like seinen at all, so I was disappointed.
it's pretty common for seinen to just be shounen trying to look mature
Dec 17, 2019 4:11 AM

Dec 2015
3 - Kimestu no Yaiba (6/10)
On the beggining, when you try to understand how the show work, KnY was extremely promising, specially with it's gorgeous action scenes. I actually gave it an 8/10 for a while. But after sometime you could see the problem of the direction of the show, and how they try to stretch every scene, even when it's supposed to be a normal paced scene. But the worst part was the Mountain arc, the arc that shows how childish and poorly written most of the characters are. Final episodes redeemed this aspect a bit, and the movie can save the show, but it was a disappointment nonetheless

2 - Araburu Kisetsu no Otome-domo yo (6/10)
I was giving this show an 8/10 after episode 6. I was so sure this would be one of the best shows of the year, specially because it was extremely funny until then. Unfortunately it really went downhill afterwards and it had one of the worst last episodes I've seen this year

1 - Psycho-Pass 3 (4/10)
I've rewatch the first 2 seasons and the movie, and managed to watch Sinners of the System before Season 3 aired. Probably one of my most expected shows of 2019. I'm still shocked not only because of how convoluted and boring this was, but how this season was just an excuse to milk the franchise as much as the writers could. Is it so hard to give an good conclusion to the Franchise? The show was begging to have an arc about trying to find a better solution to the Sybil System. Well, I guess I will pretend only S1 and the movie happened
BetterTasteDec 17, 2019 4:35 AM
Dec 17, 2019 4:17 AM

Mar 2010
Dungeon. Enjoyed first season. Loved bell but he gotten just bland to me in season 2. His harem also grew x3

Shield Hero. One of the isekai adaptions I was looking forward to but didn't meet up to my expectations.

Sherlock. Hey I was expecting a good mystery but nope after the delay, I can't take this series seriously lol
Dec 17, 2019 4:23 AM

Aug 2015
-OPM S2
-MHA S4 (so far)
-Fire Force

No Guns Life is also very boring and pointless but I didn't expected anything to begin with. Also people sell Vinland Saga like it is as good as Berserk and I'm still trying to find why, because is not. Finally, I liked Demon Slayer, but it was definitively better before Zenitsu and Inosuke showed up (as much as I like Boar Boi, the series went down a lot in tone to be more childish and immature. Like one scene you have them dying and suffering against poison and the next one they are fighting like kids and screaming)
Dec 17, 2019 4:25 AM
Jul 2018
Blade of the immortal

Kabakichou sherlock

Fireforce
Dec 17, 2019 4:34 AM

Jul 2015
For me it will be:

Grisaia: Phantom Trigger.
One of the best things about the original trilogy was it's cast. Especially the main character.
He is the best Harem King, period, and you can fight me on that.
The thing that made him so likable is that despite being trained and experienced assasin, he was still compassionate and literally despised killing to the point of vomiting, and only killed those who truly deserved, like Makina's mother and refused to kill mourning father of one of victims of tragic accident, who merely snapped, despite being totally permitted to.
Even the girls were likable, with each of them having troubled backstory.

What we got in the sequel? And edgy trap with a sword, who despite living in 21st century despises guns, and his sidekick is a trigger happy psychopath, who clearly enjoys killing along with few other not less mentally unstable girls.

Danmachi season 2:
The second arc was the worst execution of Damsel in Distress and White Knight tropes I have ever seen in anime, period.
Bell did not had a single reason to risk yet another war with other familia other than his overblown chivalry. Also, Haruhime's self hstered and constant pessimism made this arc a real chore.

Other than this two instances, I usually knew which series should be expected to flop.
Like OPM S2 and Nanatsu No Taizai due to studio changes, or simply was not hyped enough to be disappointed.

However, we had quite a few pleasent surprises, like Demon Girl Next Door, for example.

It was s good year.

Dec 17, 2019 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
One Punch Man S2 - The one anime i was looking forward to for years and it feels off, doesn't feel OPM S1 alike, overall i don't care for the new charas.

DanMachi S2 - Took a turn with the story right to non essential development and crafted a new story path that i have no interest.

Azure Lane - Not what i was expecting, 85% just doing nothing and fanservice, so i kind of disappointed myself by giving myself a wrong impression of it.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Which big name anime(s) were you late watching or still haven't watched?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

24 by luisfunes99 »»
2 minutes ago

» Tried going to reddit to discuss Anime, worst decision ever. ( 1 2 )

kriissyy12 - Jul 4, 2022

87 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
17 minutes ago

» What is good animation?

LenRea - May 24

23 by Spunkert »»
24 minutes ago

» What if aliens made every anime have aliens in it?

APolygons2 - Yesterday

15 by Damnits »»
29 minutes ago

» What are your Anime Hot Takes

solacez - Yesterday

46 by kagamiiin »»
31 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.