Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Dec 22, 2018 12:45 PM
Jan 2018
I'm confused, to say the least.
7/10
Dec 22, 2018 12:46 PM

Mar 2017
This show was so much fun. Definitely gonna miss it. Great ending overall, even though many people out here hate it because of all this "power of friendship" thing. Guess, some people only need some pretentious depth and cannot have fun from watching fun shows.

9/10 overall.
Dec 22, 2018 12:48 PM

Oct 2012
deg said:
just skimmed through the raw, wtf is that ending with 3D girl shit? is that Akane a NEET in real life just having a dream? lol

More or less. The original Gridman had an entity similair to Alexis Kerib called Khan Digifier, who basically manipulated a neet into creating Kaiju for him. Though this all took place in the real world. Khan's objective differs from Alexis' though, since Khan wanted to wipe out humanity, whereas Alexis is basically doing it to entertain himself.
Dec 22, 2018 12:49 PM

Jul 2015
Well, if someone told me at the start of 2018 that I would like both Trigger anime that came out this year considering my dislike towards most of what they have done so far + not being a fan of mecha series I would have laughed hard... but it happened.

That was a nice finale to the story, the fight was intense and the goodbyes emotional, the story of Gridman kept me engaged all the way to the end and that's all I needed, 7/10 from my part, good stuff.

I hope this is the start of a good relationship with that studio after only liking Kill la Kill before this year.
Dec 22, 2018 12:53 PM
Sep 2018
The final episode.
Beautifully wrapped up by trigger studio, totally satisfied. It was good seeing old gridman back with old OST (which was quite suprising).And unexpected live action scene made me suprised
Rating-8/10
ACCESS FLASH!
XXXXXXXXXXXX
Dec 22, 2018 12:53 PM

Jan 2009
GemTastical said:
deg said:
just skimmed through the raw, wtf is that ending with 3D girl shit? is that Akane a NEET in real life just having a dream? lol

More or less. The original Gridman had an entity similair to Alexis Kerib called Khan Digifier, who basically manipulated a neet into creating Kaiju for him. Though this all took place in the real world. Khan's objective differs from Alexis' though, since Khan wanted to wipe out humanity, whereas Alexis is basically doing it to entertain himself.

i see, i did not watch the original Gridman show but that is a nice homage to the original series then

MetaThPr4h said:
Well, if someone told me at the start of 2018 that I would like both Trigger anime that came out this year considering my dislike towards most of what they have done so far + not being a fan of mecha series I would have laughed hard... but it happened.

That was a nice finale to the story, the fight was intense and the goodbyes emotional, the story of Gridman kept me engaged all the way to the end and that's all I needed, 7/10 from my part, good stuff.

I hope this is the start of a good relationship with that studio after only liking Kill la Kill before this year.

what other Trigger show? Darling in the FranXX is more of a CloverWorks anime though since Trigger is just a supporting role on that anime and all major decisions are done by CloverWorks on that show
Dec 22, 2018 12:54 PM

Oct 2012
Also, this is now 100% confirmed a sequel to the original Gridman now that they revealed Kaiju girl's identity.

Absolute madlads.

Apr 2016
It was a fun anime. I really enjoyed the first 11 episodes. But this last one was a disaster imo. rushed, exposition after exposition, plot armor and friendship saves the day.
I really hoped that it would go better tbh.

Nov 2016
Pretty epic and emotional finale, reading some of the theories made things clearer for me and I'm satisfied with the conclusion.

Fun watch overall, Trigger doesn't fail to entertain and gave us something special again.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Feb 2018
"THIS IS ALL JUST A DREAM" - one of the lamest cliche ever
Dec 22, 2018 12:56 PM

Jan 2009
GemTastical said:
Also, this is now 100% confirmed a sequel to the original Gridman now that they revealed Kaiju girl's identity.

Absolute madlads.

but still can be watch as a standalone show, they did great doing that
Dec 22, 2018 12:59 PM
Oct 2017
GreenEmu said:
Meh ending. Gridman had a really strong start but lackluster finale. Easily a 6/10.

Does it hurt that your adaptation is a complete and utter CGI-fucked mess? Pls let me know.
Dec 22, 2018 1:01 PM

Feb 2013
Kirishiba said:

It makes complete sense with the original series. And it was also said before episodes ago that everyone there don't exist and that Akane was the only real person, which we see at the end.
Dec 22, 2018 1:02 PM

Jan 2012
Gridman > NGE..............
Dec 22, 2018 1:02 PM
Oct 2017
DonTrumpolino said:
GreenEmu said:

The Yuta and Rikka stuff is just weird. Why go out of your way to establish that the protagonist has a crush on her multiple times only for it to go nowhere? And the Rikka x Akane stuff never existed, just idiots obsessed with yuri projecting their fantasies on a friendship between two girls. Trigger should just stay away from any type of romance in general though, they are god awful at it.

Well, without romance, drama and M Nite Shamalama twists you can't really get many views in these days. So, even if they shouldn't they simply couldn't not. Not after the disaster that was Darling in the Franxx...

Darling in the Franxx wasn't a disaster, but it's funny that you guys are still bringing up the show that I quote "would die after the season was over"
Dec 22, 2018 1:04 PM
Oct 2017
Kirishiba said:

It wasn't a dream.....
Dec 22, 2018 1:06 PM

Jan 2009
Sam_missiles said:
Kirishiba said:

It wasn't a dream.....

yep more like The Matrix kind of dream where they put into sleep to connect to the virtual world, or only Akane for that matter
Dec 22, 2018 1:08 PM

Jul 2015
deg said:

what other Trigger show? Darling in the FranXX is more of a CloverWorks anime though since Trigger is just a supporting role on that anime and all major decisions are done by CloverWorks on that show

Well, that was the other one, I know that A-1/Cloverworks did most of the job, but unlike the FranXX haters who love Trigger and try to be like "they weren't involved at all with the project", I thank them for the part they did on a show I really liked.
Dec 22, 2018 1:08 PM

Oct 2012
deg said:
GemTastical said:

Absolute madlads.

Yeah, though it does show why a large portion of Japan seems to love it way more than people overseas. Gridman is a huge deal over there so they know about all of the easter eggs, callbacks and plot twists in a way that a real fan can truly appreciate.

Overseas with no context the ending may seem like it doesn't make sense to some.
Dec 22, 2018 1:09 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Started of promisingly, but it really lost steam halfway and didn't deliver at the end IMO. Too many hints that didn't go anywhere.

I hope Trigger tries something else for their next show. Go away from mecha a bit and do something else.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 22, 2018 1:10 PM

Jan 2009
MetaThPr4h said:
deg said:

Well, that was the other one, I know that A-1/Cloverworks did most of the job, but unlike the FranXX haters who love Trigger and try to be like "they weren't involved at all with the project", I thank them for the part they did on a show I really liked.

understandable

im a Trigger fan and i gave Gridman and Darling in the FranXX the same score of 9/10

GemTastical said:
deg said:

Yeah, though it does show why a large portion of Japan seems to love it way more than people overseas. Gridman is a huge deal over there so they know about all of the easter eggs, callbacks and plot twists in a way that a real fan can truly appreciate.

Overseas with no context the ending may seem like it doesn't make sense to some.

ah ye that maybe why none japanese fans are like hating on this show
Dec 22, 2018 1:11 PM

Oct 2012
Farabeuf said:
Started of promisingly, but it really lost steam halfway and didn't deliver at the end IMO. Too many hints that didn't go anywhere.

I hope Trigger tries something else for their next show. Go away from mecha a bit and do something else.

They did go somewhere though. They're just harder to get for people who came into this show without context.
Dec 22, 2018 1:13 PM
Oct 2017
deg said:
Sam_missiles said:

It wasn't a dream.....

yep more like The Matrix kind of dream where they put into sleep to connect to the virtual world, or only Akane for that matter

Not even that- it's inside Akane's mind. She has a disorder.
Dec 22, 2018 1:14 PM

Jan 2018
Show was overall decent. Weird plots that had no resolution... Those drug the show down significantly.
Dec 22, 2018 1:15 PM

Jul 2017
antonnn said:
Akane was a schizoid.

Schizoid personality disorder (/ˈskɪtsɔɪd, ˈskɪdzɔɪd/, often abbreviated as SPD or SzPD) is a personality disorder characterized by a lack of interest in social relationships, a tendency towards a solitary or sheltered lifestyle, secretiveness, emotional coldness, detachment, and apathy. Affected individuals may be unable to form intimate attachments to others and simultaneously demonstrate a rich, elaborate, and exclusively internal fantasy world.

So her actual look is what Rikka looks like, and how she looked in her internal world is her idea of a cool, ideal look, and created her false self that looks like her real self to love her.

that must not be what Schizophrenia is
it shouldn't
fug
Dec 22, 2018 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
Sam_missiles said:
deg said:

are you sure? the Kaijus insides, the whole city, the whole Gridman team are compose of the computer/virtual world though
Dec 22, 2018 1:17 PM

Oct 2012
Sam_missiles said:
deg said:

While it's highly likely she does have a disorder, this wasn't inside Akane's mind. The digital world is a real thing.
Dec 22, 2018 1:19 PM
Oct 2018
garyborken said:
Here are some interpretation:
So Akane IS Rikka in the real world. That's why she put Rikka in the junk shop, Rikka is the self she doesn't want to face.
And the reason Gridman chose Yuuta is because while everyone's looking at Akane, he's the one who took interest in Rikka AKA what Akane really is like.

I could be reading too much into this scene though:

Anyway I gave this ending 7/10, it could really benefit from having one more episode.

This is a solid theory and it makes so much sense!

Also, I was thinking, Rikka told Akane that there "was a place for gods like you too", and if Akane's world IS OUR world (humans) it would make sense, since who makes the anime? HUMANS. (I dont know if im stretching this too far but it just made sense that the "world for gods" for anime characters was the human world (the ones who create them)

Either way this ending leaves it off for the fans to fantasize and i loved it
DoinkedDec 22, 2018 1:23 PM
Dec 22, 2018 1:24 PM
Oct 2017
deg said:
Sam_missiles said:

are you sure? the Kaijus insides, the whole city, the whole Gridman team are compose of the computer/virtual world though

The "computerized" stuff is just a visualization of her mind. Did you watch the last scene?

@GemTastical as well
Dec 22, 2018 1:27 PM

Jan 2009
Sam_missiles said:
deg said:

The "computerized" stuff is just a visualization of her mind. Did you watch the last scene?

@GemTastical as well

the original Gridman series is about the computerize world though

how can you explain the computerize sky city above the city then and watch episode 6 again since on that episode the kaiju girl explained to yuta how the computerize world of Akane works
Dec 22, 2018 1:27 PM

Jul 2012
Great anime. 9/10.
Dec 22, 2018 1:28 PM

Oct 2012
Sam_missiles said:
deg said:

@GemTastical as well

Unfortunately all of that was real. It's a tie in to the original Gridman series, which is further proven by Kauju girl's existence.

Akane is mentally ill, however. Because beings like Alexis take advantage mentally ill people who also harbor a dislike of the world around them to do their bidding. See Khan Digifier
Dec 22, 2018 1:31 PM
Oct 2012
TFW I made a joke about Gridman's true form being his 1993 design a few days ago...then this episode made it actually happen...bravo Trigger and Tsuburaya, this series was lowkey a sequel to OG Gridman with the original Anoshiras as solid confirmation at the end, hopefully a sequel gets made in the future cause it felt like a prologue to a bigger series
Also they caught me off guard again by using the original Yume no Hero as the insert song, I was expecting the OxT cover, that was quite a treat.
Xenogears1989Dec 22, 2018 1:55 PM
Dec 22, 2018 1:33 PM

Oct 2012
Xenogears1989 said:
TFW I made a joke about Gridman's true form being his 1993 design a few days ago...then this episode made it actually happen...bravo Trigger and Tsuburaya, this series was lowkey a sequel to OG Gridman with the original Anoshiras as solid confirmation atthe end, hopefully a sequel gets made in the future cause it felt like a prologue to a bigger series

If it does get a sequel it's undoubtedly going to be a live action tokusatsu sequel. I think the anime run was a one and done.

Also, how hype did you get when that glorious BABY DAN DAN reached your ears.
Dec 22, 2018 1:33 PM

Aug 2014
first few episodes felt very nostalgic for some reason but then it just went kinda meh
Dec 22, 2018 1:45 PM

Jan 2009
reddit confirmed that the live action girl in the end was indeed Akane

It's Akane.

The picture frame in the background says Akane at the top
https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/a8mr80/ssssgridman_episode_12_discussion_final/ecc30xp/

Dec 22, 2018 1:45 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
GemTastical said:
Farabeuf said:

They did go somewhere though. They're just harder to get for people who came into this show without context.

Smug and patronizing much today?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 22, 2018 1:47 PM
Oct 2012
GemTastical said:

Absolute madlads.

I KNOW RIGHT?! Kudos to them for actually doing this
Dec 22, 2018 1:48 PM

Oct 2012
Farabeuf said:
GemTastical said:

Smug and patronizing much today?

Apologies if it came off like that, though a lot of the stuff most people felt didn't go anywhere were in fact tied into the original. They weren't just dropped halfway.
Dec 22, 2018 1:49 PM

Jul 2017
Sam_missiles said:
GreenEmu said:
Meh ending. Gridman had a really strong start but lackluster finale. Easily a 6/10.

Does it hurt that your adaptation is a complete and utter CGI-fucked mess? Pls let me know.

What are you babbling on about? By " my adaptation" are you referring to Goblin Slayer? Yeah it's a mess, i'll probably give it a 3/10 after the final episode. Not sure what the point of your post was other than to make you look like an idiot.
Dec 22, 2018 1:50 PM

Jan 2009
i just realize what SSSS means, those little details are cool

Dec 22, 2018 1:54 PM
Mar 2018
Sam_missiles said:

Darling in the Franxx wasn't a disaster, but it's funny that you guys are still bringing up the show that I quote "would die after the season was over"

Well, even the dead can be remembered. Yet, that won't bring it back to it's fame from like halfway in...
I was merely referring to what Trigger is capable of. Which is being at animations and characters and all the visual stuff. They just should let the writing to someone that can do so. Especially, when they tackle those genres like isekai, mecha and drama, which are simply worn out in anime...
Dec 22, 2018 1:55 PM
Oct 2017
GemTastical said:
Sam_missiles said:

@GemTastical as well

Unfortunately all of that was real. It's a tie in to the original Gridman series, which is further proven by Kauju girl's existence.

Akane is mentally ill, however. Because beings like Alexis take advantage mentally ill people who also harbor a dislike of the world around them to do their bidding. See Khan Digifier

How is she in a computer? She wakes up in her bed, not plugged in to anything....what you are saying doesn't make any conceivable sense.

@deg
Dec 22, 2018 1:56 PM
Oct 2012
GemTastical said:
Xenogears1989 said:
TFW I made a joke about Gridman's true form being his 1993 design a few days ago...then this episode made it actually happen...bravo Trigger and Tsuburaya, this series was lowkey a sequel to OG Gridman with the original Anoshiras as solid confirmation atthe end, hopefully a sequel gets made in the future cause it felt like a prologue to a bigger series

If it does get a sequel it's undoubtedly going to be a live action tokusatsu sequel. I think the anime run was a one and done.

Also, how hype did you get when that glorious BABY DAN DAN reached your ears.

I lost my shit and laughed maniacally
Dec 22, 2018 2:03 PM

Feb 2014
Damn that was fucking awesome. Loved the emotional depth and message. Akane had to face reality head on. That fight was also incredible, one of the best fights of the year. This was all for Akane to move on and awake up, this was so cool. Very nice too that Hibiki's feelings for Rikka influenced Gridman throughout his journey.

Trigger did it again man, I think they definitely made a great comeback from Darling in the Franxx (even though that ending wasn't entirely their doing and the Franxx hate was a little overblown, but this show brought back some goodwill for them I'd say). The animation this episode was spectacular and I loved how they incorporated the real world in this episode to show that Akane was just dreaming.

Can't wait for Promare now!
LoomyTheBrewDec 22, 2018 2:07 PM
Dec 22, 2018 2:04 PM

Jan 2009
BurntOkita said:
GemTastical said:

How is she in a computer? She wakes up in her bed, not plugged in to anything....what you are saying doesn't make any conceivable sense.

@deg

the original Gridman show happens in the coimputerize world though and we can see that from the Kaijus designs of looking like robots, the City in the sky as well as the insides of the City like the house of Akane is computerize too, and also obviously the whole Gridman team and Alexis the villain looks computerize too
Dec 22, 2018 2:16 PM

Nov 2013
Wow so much food for thought in this ending. Was a bit afraid last week due to so much being left to cover in the previous episode, but Trigger really delivered it with the finale. In spite of so much stuff ending up open for interpretation, with both the world and its characters, and Alexis having a shoehorned generic reason for messing up with humanity (and per consequence using Akane), the ending and message were really well conveyed.

Would really welcome a special later down the road focusing on Akane, centered on her past and what led to her condition since imo where the show failed was at justifying her actions. That aside pretty neat show with really solid directing and atmosphere.
KaitonDec 22, 2018 3:04 PM

Dec 22, 2018 2:20 PM

Jul 2017
After rewatching the episode and paying attention to the dialogue I retract my statement about Yuta's crush not being relevant. Don't know how I missed it, but Gridman himself pretty much explains that in Akane's world where everyone was made to love her Yuta essentially broke the script and fell for Rikka instead, thus giving Gridman the opening he needed.

So at the end of the day Yuta's crush on Rikka ended up being pretty damn important.
Dec 22, 2018 2:25 PM

Jan 2013
>gridman beats alexis with the fixer beam
Lmao get #rekt

Anyway was expecting Gridman to turn into "OG Gridman", didn't disappoint.

BABY DAN DAN
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 22, 2018 2:26 PM
Oct 2017
deg said:
BurntOkita said:

@deg

the original Gridman show happens in the coimputerize world though and we can see that from the Kaijus designs of looking like robots, the City in the sky as well as the insides of the City like the house of Akane is computerize too, and also obviously the whole Gridman team and Alexis the villain looks computerize too

That doesn't answer my question. At all.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2018

163 by dspr »»
May 12, 6:51 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 27, 2018

103 by Timeline_man »»
Apr 22, 10:24 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2018

83 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 7:37 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2018

90 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 6:47 PM

Poll: » SSSS.Gridman Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 3, 2018

113 by DanKyoko »»
Apr 16, 12:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.