Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Land of the Lustrous
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 25, 2017 1:19 PM

Sep 2017
Hell yeah, this was a great anime. The characters are charming and expressive, the art for them and the lunarians is goddamn gorgeous and it uses 3d like no other show i've seen, especially in the fight scenes. Also, I really like how Phos has evolved and changed throughout the series, especially after Cinnabar remarked it in their last conversation.

Now , while all that is fine and dandy, I'm a bit pissed that they left this show at a cliffhanger. This NEEDS AND DESERVES a season 2.

8/10 Phos best rock waifu 2017/∞
miguitronikJan 8, 2018 12:08 PM
Dec 25, 2017 11:02 PM

Aug 2013
Meh, extremely disappointing ending.

As someone who could've cared less about the show in the beginning, I was quite pleased with the turnaround in the story and how things definitely picked up and started going in different directions that I didn't expect.

That's probably all the more reason this episode felt so underwhelming.

I understand exactly what the episode was trying to do. It was almost a copy of episode one, especially in the later half, and kind of going full circle showing Phos now compared to Phos at the start. Which is fine and dandy, there was a lot of good symbolism and imagery there.

However, after building up the story more and more over the last 3-5 episodes and throwing all of these potential plot points and plot twists at the viewers...this ending didn't exactly mesh well. It felt a bit disjointed, almost like a standalone OVA because other than picking up where episode 11 left off, it didn't really connected to everything else that just happened. Like, you just threw some major fucking potential plot bombs at us over the last few episodes, and in the finale set most of it aside to reflect on Phos's change.

Hopefully there will be a sequel one day to flesh out this story more, because this would seriously be a disappointing way to end it otherwise.
Dec 26, 2017 12:06 AM

Jun 2017
Jonesy974 said:
it didn't really connected to everything else that just happened.

Phos spent part of the episode trying to recruit Cinnabar onto her little project of investigating Sensei's connection to the Lunarians, a direct continuation of her freakout over Sensei being familiar with Shiro.

Phos also tried talking with a Lunarian as another extension of that new goal. Obviously it ended up not working out this time, so you can bet she'll be trying it again.

They managed to fit all that in plus bookend all of her character development up to this point with some nicely mirrored scenes from the first episode, plus we get to see how she's left Zircon (the second youngest child) in the dust. Yeah, it wasn't a conclusive ending at all, but it's the halfway point of the manga and it's trying to be a faithful adaption--it would be seriously UNfaithful to somehow make a conclusive ending where the manga had none.
Dec 26, 2017 12:25 AM

Aug 2013
sorathecrow said:
Jonesy974 said:
it didn't really connected to everything else that just happened.

Phos spent part of the episode trying to recruit Cinnabar onto her little project of investigating Sensei's connection to the Lunarians, a direct continuation of her freakout over Sensei being familiar with Shiro.

Phos also tried talking with a Lunarian as another extension of that new goal. Obviously it ended up not working out this time, so you can bet she'll be trying it again.

They managed to fit all that in plus bookend all of her character development up to this point with some nicely mirrored scenes from the first episode, plus we get to see how she's left Zircon (the second youngest child) in the dust. Yeah, it wasn't a conclusive ending at all, but it's the halfway point of the manga and it's trying to be a faithful adaption--it would be seriously UNfaithful to somehow make a conclusive ending where the manga had none.

I should've clarified a bit, because I was kind of wording myself in circles trying to process my thoughts as I typed. The first half of the episode did tie in alright to 11, the later half is kind of where the shift in tone happened, along with the Cinnabar scene which felt kind of tossed into the second half,

It's not that I was looking for a conclusive ending like "ok, this series has a solid ending and the story is over". That would be impossible given how the story progressed so far.

I think the biggest issue is that since it wasn't directly followed up with any kind of sequel announcement, it left the ending of this episode in a place where it wasn't ambiguous enough to hint that a second season is coming, nor did it really feel solid enough for the series to end on given the chance that it ends here.

The best comparison I could give relative to other shows that aired recently is the finale for Ballroom e Yokusou. Left the door open for more, but also left the viewer being wholly satisfied. Which is something this finale didn't do for me personally.

Again that's not to say the episode itself was bad by any means, because I quite enjoyed it.
Dec 26, 2017 12:34 AM

Mar 2016
Jonesy974 said:
sorathecrow said:

I should've clarified a bit, because I was kind of wording myself in circles trying to process my thoughts as I typed. The first half of the episode did tie in alright to 11, the later half is kind of where the shift in tone happened, along with the Cinnabar scene which felt kind of tossed into the second half,

It's not that I was looking for a conclusive ending like "ok, this series has a solid ending and the story is over". That would be impossible given how the story progressed so far.

I think the biggest issue is that since it wasn't directly followed up with any kind of sequel announcement, it left the ending of this episode in a place where it wasn't ambiguous enough to hint that a second season is coming, nor did it really feel solid enough for the series to end on given the chance that it ends here.

The best comparison I could give relative to other shows that aired recently is the finale for Ballroom e Yokusou. Left the door open for more, but also left the viewer being wholly satisfied. Which is something this finale didn't do for me personally.

Again that's not to say the episode itself was bad by any means, because I quite enjoyed it.

ill agree with being dissapointed in no sequel anouncment, but i still loved the actual episode, even as a finale.
Dec 26, 2017 9:09 AM

Jul 2014
I had no intention of watching this anime but I gave it a chance when it was already on episode 4 and man, it was awesome.

I wonder why "tanoshii" was translated as "better"... Anyway, great show and an excellent example of how to make good use of cgi.

*I missed the old Phos in the last episodes, not that I didn't like her new personality but I liked the old one better.
SkyLETVDec 26, 2017 10:41 AM
Dec 26, 2017 10:11 AM

Mar 2008
Jonesy974 said:
Meh, extremely disappointing ending.

As someone who could've cared less about the show in the beginning, I was quite pleased with the turnaround in the story and how things definitely picked up and started going in different directions that I didn't expect.

That's probably all the more reason this episode felt so underwhelming.

I understand exactly what the episode was trying to do. It was almost a copy of episode one, especially in the later half, and kind of going full circle showing Phos now compared to Phos at the start. Which is fine and dandy, there was a lot of good symbolism and imagery there.

However, after building up the story more and more over the last 3-5 episodes and throwing all of these potential plot points and plot twists at the viewers...this ending didn't exactly mesh well. It felt a bit disjointed, almost like a standalone OVA because other than picking up where episode 11 left off, it didn't really connected to everything else that just happened. Like, you just threw some major fucking potential plot bombs at us over the last few episodes, and in the finale set most of it aside to reflect on Phos's change.

Hopefully there will be a sequel one day to flesh out this story more, because this would seriously be a disappointing way to end it otherwise.

What more could you and anyone expect?
This isn't the ending, just the end of the episodes of the first season.
Believe in me, please, this season foreshadowed and setup more than you may think and believe, but that's it. The story continues, but the way anime is today with 12-13 episode slot there's now way from escaping this "disappointment", just remember that the last episode is NOT the ending.
Dec 26, 2017 5:47 PM

Jan 2011
You drop me like that!?

Sleeper hit of the season. I don't think anyone really pegged this one. Literally. This turned out to be so damn good. I really do hope audiences appreciated it and we get another season to continue this story. Very rare these days we get interesting pieces like this.
Dec 26, 2017 9:00 PM

Feb 2008
I was kind of baffled when the episode ended... but the orchestral opening made me realize that this was the beginning of change for Phos and (hopefully) not the last episode we will see of this series.

The lunarian designs are so enigmatic it really irks you that all that you know about them is that they want the gems for something. And that they used to have the admirabilis leaders. And that if you strangle their necks, you could be having a conversation with them. Maybe I will read the manga, it has left me a Titans feeling, the feeling of wanting to know more.

Great CGI, great voice acting and great music. Phos' journey to become better has come full circle. To think that I only picked this show because Tomoyo Kurosawa was the main protag... Glad I picked it.

7/10
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Dec 26, 2017 10:53 PM

Dec 2015
HxHexa said:
Hylianticipated said:
Ohhhh, I dunno...finish the damn story?

There's literally zero ways to end it satisfyingly without heavily butchering the source and cutting important plotpoints. Orange at least did a decent job of ending it by cutting Chapter 32-35, ending it on 36 and adding some original material to it, and it was great of them to not cut anything in the past episodes and made a faithful adaptation of the manga. This manga is written in such a way that every details have been planned and foreshadowed from the start, and cutting one thing will lead to the cutting of multiple other parts.
In short, either read the manga or buy the BDs if you want a conclusive end. Even if we get a second season I doubt we would get a conclusive ending, since now at Chapter 63 the mysteries are still building up with an end barely in sight.

So what you’re saying is that it’s the SOURCE MATERIAL that’s trash? Gotcha. I’ll be sure never to support it by buying any of its merchandise then. If the manga itself is just adding more and more questions with zero answers then it seems to me the writer doesn’t know how to make a cohesive story or build any interesting characters or worlds.

Besides, all of your reasonings were pointless. So what if they couldn’t cut any content because of the details? The couldn’t have spend 2 more minutes giving some sort of answer to the question they’ve been asking the entire show? Trash. But if you ask me, the entire season could have comfortably fit within 4 episodes without losing anything. You mean to tell me all that brooding, sighing, whining, staring off into space, and small talk 80% of the time was necessary? Nonsense.
Dec 26, 2017 10:57 PM

Dec 2015
Hirugiku said:
Hylianticipated said:
So this entire show was established by the built up of adding more and more questions only to end with exactly zero answers. Honestly, fuck this show now. I was going to give it a decent 6 or 7/10 but now it's no better than 4/10.

dude if you are so eager to know the continuation read the manga, its obvious that the anime is only in the beginining (its first season) you are not the only one who wants more but you gottta wait for inevitable 2nd season. I think pretty much everyone realizes that that's why everyone giving it a 9 or 10

“Everyone” is clearly delusional if they think that was a well-spent cour. Honestly, there was so little content going on all of it could have fit within a few episodes just if they had any clue as to how a show should be paced. Just because there MIGHT be a second season and more content adapted, that doesn’t mean ending it how they did is okay. Cliffhangers are one thing, ending with nothing to show for it is another. Even if the next season is an absolute masterpiece, that doesn’t mean this season deserves any noteworthy praise.
Dec 26, 2017 11:10 PM

Jan 2015
Hylianticipated said:
Hirugiku said:

dude if you are so eager to know the continuation read the manga, its obvious that the anime is only in the beginining (its first season) you are not the only one who wants more but you gottta wait for inevitable 2nd season. I think pretty much everyone realizes that that's why everyone giving it a 9 or 10

“Everyone” is clearly delusional if they think that was a well-spent cour. Honestly, there was so little content going on all of it could have fit within a few episodes just if they had any clue as to how a show should be paced. Just because there MIGHT be a second season and more content adapted, that doesn’t mean ending it how they did is okay. Cliffhangers are one thing, ending with nothing to show for it is another. Even if the next season is an absolute masterpiece, that doesn’t mean this season deserves any noteworthy praise.

Well like it or not, this anime is a hit and its gonna be in people's hearts/minds for a long time. And when you are gonna watch top 10 animes of 2017 you'd see Houseki no kuni well at the top, and you can keep saying that everyone is delusional or you can accept that this anime is actually great and its your fault for missing something out.
Dec 27, 2017 12:09 AM

Feb 2015
MistLiigh said:
One small question though: was the clipboard that Cinnabar had in her little cave the encyclopedia Phos had started working on? I think I remember her collecting the pages of that, but I'm not confident... Though I don't want any spoilers, so I only want to know what we can say about it based solely on this season...

It's the same thing.

Back in ep1 after Phos' attempt to stop Shinsha from falling into the sea, Shinsha would come back with Phos' both arms and that clipboard but only arms were taken back. Later they found the clipboard still lying on their poison and took it without returning again.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Dec 27, 2017 12:22 AM

Feb 2015
@Apsidelos @Niello

They actually did the "fun" part right in the anime. Phos says "tanoshikute" (楽しくて) which means fun. Even with my little japanese skill I was atleast able to spot it unlike translating groups or so it seems since even my lovely horrible subs messed it up back then and now in the last ep they still decided to keep it like that.
HakaminahDec 27, 2017 12:32 AM

Dec 27, 2017 1:04 AM
Oct 2017
Hakaminah said:
@Apsidelos @Niello

They actually did the "fun" part right in the anime. Phos says "tanoshikute" (楽しくて) which means fun. Even with my little japanese skill I was atleast able to spot it unlike translating groups or so it seems since even my lovely horrible subs messed it up back then and now in the last ep they still decided to keep it like that.

There's no horrible subs "sub". They just rip the official Sentai sub. They also did the fun part wrong. As all the lines that's supposed to be "fun" were translated as "better", including the scene in the first episode. There's only one "fun" which they translated correctly, and that's only because it wouldn't make sense to translate that part as "better" like they have been. So yes, they've made a BIG mistake and did the minimum to correct it.
Dec 27, 2017 1:29 AM

Feb 2015
Niello said:
Hakaminah said:
@Apsidelos @Niello

There's no horrible subs "sub". They just rip the official Sentai sub. They also did the fun part wrong. As all the lines that's supposed to be "fun" were translated as "better", including the scene in the first episode. There's only one "fun" which they translated correctly, and that's only because it wouldn't make sense to translate that part as "better" like they have been. So yes, they've made a BIG mistake and did the minimum to correct it.

I never heard of sentai subs but whatever translating groups did wrong shouldn't be really discussed here as it seems like you want to blame anime for doing something wrong (that's the feeling I got from your comment) and it's not like anyone from that subbing group will read our comments either.

Dec 27, 2017 2:27 AM

Jan 2014
I get massive boners from finales that make callbacks to the first episode.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 27, 2017 2:40 AM
Sep 2015
Hylianticipated said:
So this entire show was established by the built up of adding more and more questions only to end with exactly zero answers. Honestly, fuck this show now.

I agree 100%. This episode was crap, where are the answers to the secrets?
I was kinda expecting Phos to rebel against Sensei.
Dec 27, 2017 2:42 AM
Sep 2015
I give this anime a 8/10. The creators should put a warning that this show can trigger trypophobia.
The characters break in every episode, some gems are left with no attention at all and the finale was so bad. Nothing happened, I don't know how people call it a masterpiece without having a proper closure.
Dec 27, 2017 2:44 AM

Jan 2013
That was it?
Huh...
Dec 27, 2017 2:47 AM
Sep 2017
JOELbedulla said:
Hylianticipated said:
So this entire show was established by the built up of adding more and more questions only to end with exactly zero answers. Honestly, fuck this show now.

How did you guys really expect a conclusive ending in 12 episodes? It was pretty clear that they wouldn't have time to give answers to everything. If you want answers, read the manga, it's very good. Although it's still ongoing so we still don't have most of the answers you'd want. I'm looking forward to a potential season 2, and the next manga chapter.
Dec 27, 2017 2:54 AM
Sep 2015
Jertme said:
JOELbedulla said:

How did you guys really expect a conclusive ending in 12 episodes? It was pretty clear that they wouldn't have time to give answers to everything. If you want answers, read the manga, it's very good. Although it's still ongoing so we still don't have most of the answers you'd want. I'm looking forward to a potential season 2, and the next manga chapter.

No offense, I love reading manga but I don't want to read it.
I hate watching anime that end with a cliffhanger and users tell others 'Just read the manga'
If I wanted to read the manga, I wouldn't be watching this.
I believe it could have a proper ending in 12 episodes, I've seen shorter anime with better conclusion.
Dec 27, 2017 4:04 AM

Apr 2009
I can understand getting annoyed if they tried to conclude the series with a shitty conclusion, but they've clearly left it open ended like this so that we can move into season 2 pretty seamlessly.

If they never make a season 2, then yes, this is a poor final episode.
Dec 27, 2017 5:44 AM

Sep 2011
Hakaminah said:
MistLiigh said:
One small question though: was the clipboard that Cinnabar had in her little cave the encyclopedia Phos had started working on? I think I remember her collecting the pages of that, but I'm not confident... Though I don't want any spoilers, so I only want to know what we can say about it based solely on this season...

It's the same thing.

Back in ep1 after Phos' attempt to stop Shinsha from falling into the sea, Shinsha would come back with Phos' both arms and that clipboard but only arms were taken back. Later they found the clipboard still lying on their poison and took it without returning again.

Thanks for the response! I've started reading the manga from the beginning since this finale and noticed exactly this, but it's still good to have someone else saying that really was it.
"EVERYBODY, CLAP YOUR HANDS!"

"PLUS ULTRA!"
Dec 27, 2017 9:13 AM
Jul 2017
Beautiful cinematography in a fascinating world. Everything seems archetypal: the spiritual Lunarians, the fluid water beings, the schoolkid gems and their teacher each of whom have individual personalities and relationships. Will watch a second season if it appears, otherwise will read a manga summary someday.

I realize the manga is still ongoing but I wish this had been adapted into a standalone movie, or at most a 1-season series. The danger of such an otherworldly setting is that the exotic becomes normalized under the pull of genre expectations. Phos' physical and emotional development and her struggles to understand her environment (concluding, presumably, with either a confrontation with the sensei, a visit to the Lunarians, or a world-changing revelation underwater) would have made a truly classic 10/10 story if properly paced.

As it is I give a 7/10 and hope for the best.
...but then again, I unironically like Warau Salesman.
Dec 27, 2017 9:53 AM

Jun 2017
PastFuturist said:

I realize the manga is still ongoing but I wish this had been adapted into a standalone movie, or at most a 1-season series. The danger of such an otherworldly setting is that the exotic becomes normalized under the pull of genre expectations. Phos' physical and emotional development and her struggles to understand her environment (concluding, presumably, with either a confrontation with the sensei, a visit to the Lunarians, or a world-changing revelation underwater) would have made a truly classic 10/10 story if properly paced.

Would rather it be true to its source material than have it try to make something out of nothing. All of these big things you're wanting have their own place--later.
Dec 27, 2017 10:11 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that managed to be convincing until the end, even if I'm sad because they have not mentioned anything about a possible second season, it's like having a stab to the heart, while seeing that in the episode everything suggests that a sequel can to be. The introduction of the character of Padparadscha, the encounter with the selenite by Phos and the new understanding that has been created between Phos and Cinabro, have added other expectations to those already created during the anime series. Regarding the CG, I must say that I really appreciated the quality, I fell in love, although I decant the praises of the hand-drawn. As for me this anime series is among the first three of this fall season 2017.
My final vote was 8/10, but given the final very intriguing, I want to give him now a vote of 8.5/10.
Dec 27, 2017 12:46 PM

Jun 2017
In the beginning, I didn't know what to expect from a anime about gem people attacked by moon beings and in CGI too, but this anime really surprised me with the story (after the giant snail and so on) and showed a new use for CGI.
If i'm not wrong, mercury is used to separate gold from rocks, i wonder if Phos and Shinsha can make use of this somehow.
Hope it can have a second season, but maybe I'll read the manga.
shanimebib said:
Unbelievably great anime! Too bad some people berated it or did not even give a chance to it because of CGI. I actually gave the anime a go because of Kurosawa Tomoyo being in the main role and she totally delivered yet again! It's amazing how voice acting can incredibly enrich an anime. Her performance as Phos was as amazing as her voice acting as Kumiko in Hibike! Euphonium.

And both roles had incredible character development in both anime.

This was undeniably one of the best anime of the entire calendar year of 2017! The biggest worry is whether I will have to resort to the manga or see more of the anime! Kurosawa Tomoyo was so fantastic as Phos that I want to see her as Phos more. And perhaps in more anime roles. I have only seen her in four roles, two of them have been 10/10 performances, on the other two, she hardly had any dialogues (Tina Sprout and Sylphy).

Coming back to the anime, I wonder how much that are left on the dark. While I really missed the Phos before the change in character, the change in character was understandable because of what Phos went through.

The supporting characters like Cinnabar, Dia, Bort, Rutile, Yellow Diamond, Antarcticite, et al had so distinct personalities that it added more to the already intriguing premise.

I never read the manga, but it sure looks to have a lot of potential as a story which I could get from the anime alone. Hopefully we get a sequel.

I gave a 5/5 for an episode since episode 3 and all the way to episode 12, now that's a rarity from me!

9/10 overall from me!

I miss that little innocent Phos...
"The Stairs to Adulthood May Not Always Lead Up" - Gintama.: Porori-hen - episode 1
Dec 27, 2017 1:05 PM

Dec 2010
This anime need a second season, maybe they wait for the manga to have more chapters since it reach just now a big climax (63 chapters released till now), hopefully BD will sell well to encourage the animation studio to invest more into it.

hikikomoriMK-II said:
I miss that little innocent Phos...

The old Phos is no more the more the story go further, you should really read the manga, the amazing part of the whole story start just at the exact point where the anime end (chapter 32). Seems the animators do it on purpose to tease us. :D
Fn76Dec 27, 2017 1:11 PM
Dec 27, 2017 5:19 PM
Oct 2017
Hakaminah said:
Niello said:

I never heard of sentai subs but whatever translating groups did wrong shouldn't be really discussed here as it seems like you want to blame anime for doing something wrong (that's the feeling I got from your comment) and it's not like anyone from that subbing group will read our comments either.

What??? I'm not blaming the anime otherwise why sould I even brought up the translator. Also Sentai isn't a fansub group they are the company holding the license for Land of the Lustrous.
Dec 27, 2017 6:23 PM

Oct 2008
Just finished the last episode of this Season and what can I say? This definitely needs a Second Season! The whole episode feels like incomplete and really sets-up for more content for S2!
Anyways there was a bit of an intense part! wherein Phos attempted to communicate with the Lunarians! by single-handedly attempted on capturing one of the Lunarians. but at the same time she was interrupted by Cinnabar.
5/5.
8/10.
wow! it suddenly went up and jumped to rating: 8.49 which is ranked as 112th!

Dec 28, 2017 2:29 AM

Apr 2015
Why does the black cunt always need to be so condescending?

Not their best episode as their finale(which isn't even a finale, and considering the good sales probably won't be one in anime world either), which puts this below SSR in my AOTS fight by the skin of its teeth. Still good tho

Can't really say anything that isn't said. 8-9/10
LanzDec 28, 2017 2:37 AM
Dec 28, 2017 5:35 PM

Feb 2014
ok... going to give this a 9... because I'll be hoping for a second season for answers... and it is better have a second season!! otherwise......
Dec 28, 2017 6:07 PM

Mar 2008
People were wrong from episode 1, and they'll see they are wrong about episode 12.
"Source material is trash", lol, is laughable when I think back and see how much there's actually in these 12 episodes of seemly nothing.
Dec 29, 2017 1:16 AM

Apr 2009
mysticdonkye said:
I also heard that the mangaka is finishing up the manga.

You've heard wrong. We're barely over half way through the amount of chapters the author has indicated they want to write (and the amount of chapters that would make sense with all the Buddhist themes), 108.

Shiro (the Lunarian dog) split up into 108 parts now that I think about it.
Dec 29, 2017 3:29 AM

Nov 2014
Amarrez said:
You've heard wrong. We're barely over half way through the amount of chapters the author has indicated they want to write (and the amount of chapters that would make sense with all the Buddhist themes), 108.

I've heard of this but did she really say that? I mean, if that's true then the author might need to either extend or cut out new events/ideas just to get that perfect 108.
Dec 29, 2017 6:59 AM

Apr 2009
VarunaBles said:
Amarrez said:

I've heard of this but did she really say that? I mean, if that's true then the author might need to either extend or cut out new events/ideas just to get that perfect 108.

That's not necessarily true, if the manga is planned from the start. Fullmetal Alchemist is exactly 108 chapters long (which isn't a coincidence) and I don't think that was a rushed/drawn out series by any means.

Death Note ended on 108, but I'd argue that one was a bit drawn out.
Dec 29, 2017 7:27 AM

Nov 2014
Amarrez said:
That's not necessarily true, if the manga is planned from the start. Fullmetal Alchemist is exactly 108 chapters long (which isn't a coincidence) and I don't think that was a rushed/drawn out series by any means.

Death Note ended on 108, but I'd argue that one was a bit drawn out.

Ah, so there are examples from both sides of the spectrum. Interesting.
Aaaaand also 3.7 more years to finish the manga, speaking of ending at 108.
Dec 29, 2017 4:06 PM

Jan 2017
Now this was a very elegant ending. I'll try to elaborate.

As i was thinking, "it can't be possible that this series, that has been such a pleasant ride, it's gonna have a totally unresolved ending just like that, i'm in denial", they came up with a very clever one. You see, i'm not the type of gal that seeks every single little detail exposed/explain to the bone; at all, many of the stuff i truly love consists of series that have very wide and 'personal' endings; that is, endings that one way or another you have to build yourself by picking up pieces, fragments of story, symbolism and any other resource the series made use of. So, as watching both this and the previous episode develop before my eyes i was afraid of having so many critical matters still unattended while not having enough pieces to solve them, but then of course, as i said before, they came with a nice and clever solution:

Even if they did in fact left many crucial things floating in the air (what exactly are the Lunarians? How they came to be? What do they truly want? Why do they chase them? What are we as minerals? Does the legend hold any true in it? Who is Sensei? Why is he Sensei? What are his intentions? What is the purpose of their lives, like, do they exist solely to fight Lunarians every once in a while? What are the Snails? Why do they have that humanesque form? Ultimately, was is the relationship of Sensei with the Lunarians? etc etc), they didn't left them unaddressed as such; they made their MC (the one that is holding the story together and that serves as the 'eyes through which we get to experience it all), address all this issues precisely at her level, that is, one of inexperience and great doubt but also with the burning desire of finding the answers and not bending herself to that tacit agreement. So those answers i was looking for are ones that as she said, are not gonna be achieved overnight in an immediate way, instead, it'd be a long and torturous path that reflexes pretty much her own path of self-discovery, adaptation and survival.

Indeed, the story in this season does presents us and enchants us with a marvelous world setting, likable and not so likable characters, good musicalization, and the best of what i've seen in terms of CGI but above all, it presents us the story, growth and if you will, path to refinement, of one of the most fragile and exposed gems, Phosphophyllite.
KannoSugakoDec 29, 2017 4:29 PM
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Dec 30, 2017 3:44 PM

Sep 2016
Overall I enjoyed this series, the art direction in particular was fantastic. That being said, the anime was atmospheric at the expense of being exciting, it seemed to move sideways rather than forward, lacking much of a sense of what it supposed to be moving toward. It never occured to me when I watched this episode the day it came out that there wouldn't be a part 13, the ending was rather abrupt and the events, while important, didn't stand out in the way you'd expect of a season finale. Episode 12 for me was more of a beginning than an end, it neither raised important new questions nor answered old ones but instead seemed to draw a line behind the world-building that had be the focus of the previous 11 episodes, providing us, finally, with a proper sense of direction, albeit just in time for this series to end. Of course, none of what I've said are criticisms per se, but it's certainly the case that the slower pace of Houseki no Kuni isn't everyone's cup of tea.
Dec 30, 2017 7:23 PM
Oct 2012
Amazing story. That's the conclusion I've reached after I rushed through the manga series, immediately after I finished the anime. It's probably the best one I've seen for this season, although it's sad that the biggest plot twist didn't get adapted yet.

And the biggest excitement that I have for this series is, that Houseki no Kuni seems to have a lot of potentials in the future (for both manga and anime). I'm very excited to see the next season of this anime if there will be any.

Though I ended up giving this 8/10 rating because the ending was kind of abrupt, like, it doesn't seem like an ending at all. IMO they could have given a message or two right before it end, something like 'And so, our journey starts now' ..so that us viewers know that there won't be next episode anymore for this season...
Dec 31, 2017 4:00 AM

Apr 2014
Damn it, I want more! I want a sequel announcement now.
Well, I guess I will just read the manga sometime soon.
Anyway, I'm gonna rate this anime an 8 out of 10 score overall.
Haters always gonna hate.
Dec 31, 2017 5:21 AM

Nov 2014
Nothing impressive besides CGI.
Kino's Journey and Gargantia did mysterious episodic format ages ago.
Plot is practically non existent, other than a mash of ideas.

Dec 31, 2017 5:57 AM

Jul 2017
Pretty meh series. Don't see why people were hyping it up as some "underrated gem".
Dec 31, 2017 8:19 AM

Jan 2016
Blushing Shinsa is a CUTE 9/10
Dec 31, 2017 10:46 AM

Mar 2008
ExTemplar said:
Nothing impressive besides CGI.
Kino's Journey and Gargantia did mysterious episodic format ages ago.
Plot is practically non existent, other than a mash of ideas.

The comparison with Kino and Gargantia is forced and exaggerated.
Anyway I'll say it again, people will be surprised with the amount of content hidden in these 12 "empty" episodes.
Dec 31, 2017 3:58 PM

Feb 2013
It didn't end!

7/10 (good)
Season 2 (rebellion?) when? It seems to be building up to something like that.
But let's be honest... it could just "end" here. Yes, another season would be nice, but I rather like open-to-interpretation endings.
BurntJellyDec 31, 2017 4:01 PM
Jan 1, 2018 1:15 AM

Feb 2017
An easy 9/10.

Visually stunning and the cinematography was beyond amazing.
Also really liked the setting and the story itself. There is definitely something big going to happen.

But for some reason I feel like this anime is missing something...can't really put my finger on it.
Jan 1, 2018 7:00 PM

Jan 2013
So much left to know. I just realized how small the island they life on is and the rest of the Earth is water. I really wanted to see more of the third species.
Jan 1, 2018 7:03 PM

Jun 2017
RediceRyan said:
So much left to know. I just realized how small the island they life on is and the rest of the Earth is water. I really wanted to see more of the third species.

Yeah, it's easy to forget but that's all that's left of the world. Although now apparently there's SIX moons.

And the only two slug people are off making babies and repopulating the ocean. :p
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 14, 2017

105 by Asnwert123 »»
Sep 19, 10:14 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 16, 2017

116 by Muow »»
Aug 30, 6:12 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2017

112 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 7:42 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Nov 11, 2017

149 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 4:16 AM

Poll: » Houseki no Kuni (TV) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 28, 2017

111 by Muow »»
Aug 29, 3:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.