Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jan 10, 2018 10:37 AM

May 2016
Grisaille said:

I see you are quite a masochistic person, wished I had as much free time as you to watch and shit on shows that I obviously didn't like.

Guilty as charged. College students aren't the busiest people in the world.

Actually, I find it easier to focus on my work if I have something to watch on the second screen. Preferably something even more boring than work.

Jan 10, 2018 11:22 AM

Jan 2018
I loved the first season when it first came out, but after this episode I'm afraid it isn't gonna be that good. A lot of scenes felt like they had no reason for being in the episode? Still hopeful for next episode though.
Jan 10, 2018 12:28 PM
Jun 2017
Fnights said:
I'm wondering, what's happen to the body of the MC in the real world? The parents try to wake him up or they send him to the hospital to keep alive like in SAO?
Is explained in the novel this part or is just omitted?

Neither.
Both the light novel and web novel have not touched upon that.The author does keep somethings under wraps for future use.
Jan 10, 2018 2:54 PM

Mar 2014
It is always epic when the ending song plays before the credits.
MAL: A community that thinks every anime is bad, but rates everything a 7/10.
Jan 10, 2018 4:07 PM

Feb 2008
hithummah said:
This episode didn't feel like a season's pilot but rather as episode 0 with all that exposition and world introduction. Lack luster I would say, but again Overlord already has an establish huge fanbase and doesn't need to start with a bang.

AdrianRubinsky said:
Nothing really happened yet. Let's see how the lizard arc will be animated.

I didn't like that Iguva doesn't look creepy. In the novel, it has a partialy decomposed body. In the anime, he's bones only. It is more closer to a comedy character when he speaks.

at least they weren't CG like the skeletons in S1. I mean look at their skin's scales, that should cost more budget than three episodes of DBS.

This ^^

Honestly, the episode felt underwhelming and felt like an exposition episode than anything else. Characters are introduced without much background so newcomers will only know the main ones.

Finally, I think i am probably the only one annoyed by albedo's attitude. She is just too creepy. Still, she goes from obsessive to all business at the drop of a hat. All of the servants and guardians seem to have some sort of weird fetish or complex. Well except for most of the men, they seem to be the normal ones.
Jan 10, 2018 6:13 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Bit of a boring episode, but it's been a while since we've been back; so sort of a mini recap isn't bad way to start the new season.

Albedo is still as fine as ever.

The first season of Overlord was decent, but I've never been able to understand all the hype around it. The first season was kind of all over the place and it had multiple characters that the show wanted us to care about but ended up killing abruptly and then acting like they didn't matter at all. Hopefully season 2 improves on this.
Jan 10, 2018 8:38 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Great episode. Felt good to return to this series and its characters. Although most of it was set up for whats to come I did enjoy the show taking its time to remind us of some things from the first season. Also Albedo top waifu as usual <3

Looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 11, 2018 4:40 AM

Jul 2008
Looks like a lot of characters will be introduced based on the opening theme :D been a while since I last researched the series so can't remember most of them :P
Jan 11, 2018 10:15 AM
Dec 2011
Now this was an amazing episode. I'm looking forward to watching more of Overlord season 2!!! :)
Jan 11, 2018 12:01 PM

Dec 2010
Nordhammer said:
Fnights said:
I'm wondering, what's happen to the body of the MC in the real world? The parents try to wake him up or they send him to the hospital to keep alive like in SAO?

Neither.
Both the light novel and web novel have not touched upon that.The author does keep somethings under wraps for future use.

I see, very odd choice, thanks you.
Jan 11, 2018 12:38 PM

Oct 2010
Does this pick up right after where season 1 ends?
'Ask her to wait a moment— I am almost done.' - Carl Friedrich Gauss ( When told, while working, that his wife was dying).
Jan 11, 2018 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
Contrary to a lot of other opinions in this thread I found this episode to be very underwhelming. I get that you need to set the stage, but I've always been a strong advocate in action/adventure shows that if you need exposition to tell your story you are doing it wrong. As the genre suggests you should be telling your story through action and adventure, not through a bunch of dialogue.

Also contrary to popular opinion, the Albedo love shtick goes on for WAY too long. It just feels like padding now.
Jan 11, 2018 11:24 PM

Mar 2009
Albedo is love. Albedo is life. I've missed her.
Jan 12, 2018 1:43 AM

Aug 2013
I wonder, there has been a few people who said that the lizards where not on the first season and are surprised that they appeared now.
(It seems some people here didnt watch the last episode of season 1 if they dont know anything about the lizardmen)

So, until second episode of season II arrives, I ask, did anyone besides me noticed that the lizardmen appeared on season 1 opening?

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 12, 2018 8:28 AM
Mar 2012
Miss Monochrome & quite a few new designs look interesting & weird especially penguin & dog maid...?
Animation's much better than s1. Va's quite good, tho mostly infodump while jumping to too many disparate new groups, & recap 3 nearby nations, and 2 up north.
Only a bit of stuff I recall s1. No memory of Shaltear vs dragon armor. Wait there's a 100 yr timeskip!?? And how did dragon armor become a real dragon?
Eh vaguely recall head warrior from xyz nation was important, but there's a random princess from Smartphone?
Hamusuke is back de gozaru.
Jan 12, 2018 9:48 AM

Apr 2013
Glad to see this show back again. I re-watched S1 a couple weeks ago, so i'm pretty stoked. The first episode introduced a lot of new characters, and left me a bit confused in the beginning, but i'm sure it will all iron out in coming episodes.
Jan 12, 2018 9:50 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The ring, again, a great item!!!! kekeke
Jan 12, 2018 9:58 AM

Sep 2013
gophercg said:

Only a bit of stuff I recall s1. No memory of Shaltear vs dragon armor. Wait there's a 100 yr timeskip!?? And how did dragon armor become a real dragon?

The dragon used his remote controlled armor to fight shalltear, it's just a passing mention.
There's no timeskip, the evil the dragon was talking about is ainz.
Jan 12, 2018 10:47 AM

Dec 2008
Missed Albedo & Shalltear.

The first 5-6 minutes, I felt a bit disconnected since didn't remember/know any of those characters. So was kinda eh about that exposition. But afterwards, got pretty decent.

Didn't like the OP. May get used to it as I hear it more. The ED was really nice though. Also enjoyed how the episode ended. Was kinda dark and spooky.
Jan 12, 2018 6:52 PM
Feb 2009
This could be a sub-issue, but why is it that the people are referring to the one that defeated shalltear as 'ains owl gown', while it was 'moman' who accepted that request?
Jan 13, 2018 4:50 AM

Aug 2013
Is this not a winter anime? Episode 2 seems to be either late on purpose or delayed?
Jan 13, 2018 5:10 AM
Aug 2017
Lots of exposition and setup this episode, so as a standalone it was pretty mediocre. Did think the cutting of LN Lizardmen fluff was a good move for the anime. It was nice world building, but it was pretty unnecessary to the overarching story which is what the anime appears to be focusing on.
Jan 13, 2018 5:16 AM

Apr 2008
Freestyle80 said:
Is this not a winter anime? Episode 2 seems to be either late on purpose or delayed?
Episode one leaked early
Jan 13, 2018 10:58 AM

Mar 2014
Darklight0303 said:
Freestyle80 said:
Episode one leaked early

If we take a view on official start release on MAL, it's 9th jan. So, ep 2 should be released at 16-17th jan.
Jan 13, 2018 3:01 PM
Sep 2014
Overall it was a great start for 2nd season. I don't read the LN so who's the girl playing with rubik's cube?
Jan 13, 2018 4:06 PM

Feb 2013
Picking up where it left off last season.
Still a pretty average series.
Jan 14, 2018 2:16 AM
May 2014
Dephree said:
Overall it was a great start for 2nd season. I don't read the LN so who's the girl playing with rubik's cube?

She is the extra seat and strongest member of the Black Scripture (the Theocracy's black ops group).
Her name is Zesshi Zetsumei, though that's not actally that important (as far as we know).
Jan 14, 2018 12:02 PM

Apr 2013
Lots of new faces in this first episode. Not that much action, but it was also nice seeing all those folks again. Albedo is still as fun to watch as always ^^
Jan 14, 2018 4:03 PM

May 2015
I now remember why i like this show so much.

Really good firs episode. Albedo is babe <3. :)

"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Jan 14, 2018 7:39 PM
Sep 2015
Fnights said:

Well, I will say, he wasn't a child. His clan only accepted self sufficient adults I believe?

While it's not touched on, if his real life body mattered at all, and there wasn't something like altered flow of time between the two worlds, he probably would've definitely starved before someone found him.

Personally, I think, though he came to this world through Yggdrasil, he's no longer in a game and his old body probably is just stripped of life regardless.

Certainly, it's not the same world as Yggdrasil even though it has elements from it, and also it has things (smell, living NPCs) that the game strictly didn't have, so realistically it can't be something like SAO, instead being fantasy magic.

But yeah, who knows.
Jan 14, 2018 10:37 PM
Jan 2018
I loved the ending of last season. This is boring. But it's a new season so we gotta sit through this set-up.. I guess...

I don't really care about the new chars and all that happened was people hyping them by saying "You're the strongest" a bunch. Also, everyone in that world basic wore normal clothing so what's with two-tone girl? I wonder if it's something she picked up from the first time VG crud spilled into this world. Also, Also, the timeline of the last crud-spill implies some kind of time dilation or multi-world thing since it happened so long ago.

The lizard people were interesting, i wonder if Skele-boy is gonna genocide them through his proxy without knowing that they are basically normal dudes, seems like where this season is going so far. Except, why would you warn them if you thought they were mindless? Red Herring?
Boring
Jan 15, 2018 6:23 AM

Jun 2016
woah, new stories and characters.
Jan 16, 2018 4:56 AM

Sep 2015
Nice world building episode we get a dragon who will most likely be a problem and the kingdom chick who was crazy in the beginning was interesting. They also amped up the animation from last season and it looks quite nice.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/QcK_Dagger_HeaT&sclick=1][IMG]
Jan 17, 2018 12:47 AM

Apr 2009
...and a shipload of characters shows up. *sighs* He's also back to strategy and planning which I'm always eager to hear.

Lots of new questions aside from the unanswered old ones but I'm glad this is back for season two. I really appreciate the author's grateful message in the episode's end.

You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jan 17, 2018 1:10 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Yes, yes was a little boring, but this is the style of this anime series!!! I suppose for the context advance for "something" that has to come!!!!
Jan 20, 2018 12:58 PM

Mar 2011
The new season is looking good already. There's so many new characters!
Jan 21, 2018 1:37 PM

Oct 2015
It was great to see Ains again along with the gang.

I am so excited for what's to come, especially who casted that spell on Shalltear to lose control in the 1st season.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jan 23, 2018 11:52 AM

Aug 2013
ichii_1 said:
gophercg said:

The dragon used his remote controlled armor to fight shalltear, it's just a passing mention.

They spoke of Yggdrasil. Are they former players of that game, too? And did the Dragon use the World item on Sheltear?
Also, they mentio that the rubik cube was brought there 600 years ago. Whats up eith that?
Jan 23, 2018 12:13 PM

Sep 2013
puppetmazter said:
ichii_1 said:

They spoke of Yggdrasil. Are they former players of that game, too? And did the Dragon use the World item on Sheltear?
Also, they mentio that the rubik cube was brought there 600 years ago. Whats up eith that?

They aren't but know about players and the system, I don't think they know it was a game though.
No he just fought shalltear for a bit then retreated after seeing her strength.
The rubic cube was something other players from long ago left, the whole player thing hasn't been relevant yet even in the novels.
Jan 23, 2018 1:05 PM

Aug 2013
ichii_1 said:

They aren't but know about players and the system, I don't think they know it was a game though.
No he just fought shalltear for a bit then retreated after seeing her strength.
The rubic cube was something other players from long ago left, the whole player thing hasn't been relevant yet even in the novels.

Thanks alot. I couldnt google it, you know how it is.
Jan 24, 2018 11:36 PM

Aug 2016
I miss Albedo's feeling towards him.

Not bad for the start but I kinda forgot what happens from season 1, rip.

Set by SenpieX
Jan 27, 2018 2:24 PM

Jun 2009
It was a nice episode, I'm glad it got a sequel, even if it's not one of my favorites.

I guess this is for the Overlord fans that are also furries, eh?
Furry fanservice:

That design choice really surprised me haha.
Jan 30, 2018 3:57 AM

Mar 2016
The opening is awesome! Just like the first opening, the amount of hype they give is high. And just like the first opening, there are some battles shown from the future chapters/episodes.

There are some new characters from the light novel/manga, however, I don't know who the heterochromia lady playing the Rubix cube is...
ShadowkillZJan 30, 2018 4:00 AM
Jan 30, 2018 3:35 PM

Jul 2009
Kind of felt a bit jumbled at the start by throwing a bunch of characters out there in the first 5 minutes. I wish they would have at least saved one of those three scenes (probably the dragon one) for later in the series.

Otherwise, not much to say. So begins the Lizardmen heroes arc...well, it was always my least favorite volume along with 8, but we'll see how well it's adapted.

(I'm watching dub, btw).
BStrifeSword114Jan 30, 2018 5:57 PM
Feb 4, 2018 11:02 PM

Jul 2013
Holy shit that was awesome. I knew I shouldn't watched this now and just wait for it to finish airing. Dammit.
Feb 21, 2018 10:33 AM

Apr 2016
The convo between PDL and Rigrit was a flash forward scene?
Feb 22, 2018 3:20 PM

Jul 2017
after watched 1 eps looks hype! especially in the ed song was great.

two thumbs to MADHOUSE for season 2 of this anime~
hktzu3Feb 22, 2018 3:29 PM
Feb 22, 2018 3:48 PM
Feb 2018
The convo between PDL and Rigrit was a flash forward scene?

I think so, >:DDDD
Mar 7, 2018 2:59 AM

Sep 2014
Wait....wut..

I re-watched this episode but saw a flashback of Tsa (Blue Dragon) fighting Shalltear...when did that happen?? As far as i know, Shalltear got hypnotized by Black Scripture and that's it. When did she fight Tsa?
Mar 7, 2018 3:35 PM

Dec 2016
I heard this season will focus more on the world around Momonga rather than Momonga himself and honestly I'm excited to watch it and learn about the world. It's definitely a more direct way of doing world building, but I'd rather learn of the world through episodes about it's inhabitants rather than long and drawn out exposition dumps

also I've missed this Albedo greatness
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2018

211 by RodxD »»
Sep 18, 2:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2018

322 by RodxD »»
Sep 18, 2:02 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 3, 2018

357 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 5, 2:03 AM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2018

256 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 4, 1:56 PM

Poll: » Overlord II Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2018

289 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 4, 8:50 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.