Forum Settings
Forums

Does your taste in Anime change as you grow older?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Feb 14, 2017 2:21 AM

Oct 2016
Tentology said:
When I was young, all I watched was fighting shounen.

As I got older, I became an ecchi lord ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Interesting development there. lol

I wonder what will be your next progress. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 14, 2017 7:37 AM
Jun 2009
I’m surprised I’m replying to this; I’m no longer a regular on this site, and never got into using the forums. However, I find the question interesting enough that it seems worth trying to put together my thoughts on the matter, and I ended up writing a response for my own benefit. I apologize for the length, but hopefully someone reading the thread will find my thoughts interesting.

As I expect is the case with most of the people here that are about my age (22), my introduction to anime consisted of Saturday morning “cartoons” I watched in elementary school--things like Pokemon and Cardcaptors. I use the term “cartoons” because that’s essentially how I watched them; I remember the WB television block also had a loony toons series, and I’m not convinced I differentiated between the pokemon episodes I watched religiously every week and the Scooby Doo episodes I watched whenever I had the option. Friends of mine recently wanted to watch the Pokemon anime again, and although the experience was enjoyable I would not have enjoyed watching the episodes we did if it hadn’t been for the memories associated with the show. So, my tastes have changed.

But it isn’t that I find the genre repellant, and so find myself prejudiced; we also re-watched the first three Pokemon movies, and I found that I still enjoyed them greatly—but it was a different experience from what I remembered. When I watched the first Pokemon movie as a kid, it terrified me. Something about the storm, Mewtwo’s malice, and the idea of evil clones really bothered me. Watching it a second time, I found myself just enjoying the spectacle. Interestingly, re-watching the unknown and Entei movie was an exercise in thinking “did they really want this to be for kids?”

I don’t want this post to be just about Pokemon, but revisiting my favorite childhood series did make a point clear to me: very different things stand out to me now, than what stood out when I watched them over a decade ago. When I first watched Spirited Away (in theaters, my parents have good taste) I had nightmares for months; the concept of my parents being turned into pigs and being teleported to a spirit world was ghastly. Watching it again a couple of years ago, I was fascinated by the allegories; I didn’t focus on the terror of the setup at all. The only thing I remember from my first watching of Totoro was the magical adventure; I didn’t even realize until watching it again that the story stems from adjusting to a move, and that the characters are dealing with the strain of a dying loved one.

I strongly believe that the elements of the shows that I pick up on are dictated by the experiences I’ve had. For a long time I was not a fan of romance in anime; it just didn’t interest me. I found myself drawn to romance in anime at about the same time I began to be interested in pursuing relationships. There are some shows that I discovered I liked quite a lot, sometimes because they reminded me of my own experiences. Sometimes surprisingly so; I went into Mysterious Girlfriend X expecting to hate it, but I found that (once I got passed the disgusting saliva thing) the show reminded me a lot about discovering what it means to be in a relationship. Similarly, I think 5 cm per second really impacted me because of decisions I’ve made in my own life.

Unlike many of the people that have replied to the question, I do find that there are shows and genres I’m no longer drawn to. At some point, I discovered that I was no longer interested in the standard high school romance characters. I don’t know for sure if the issue is primarily saturation, or if the issue is that with my experiences I no longer empathize with the characters. I find that many shows of the genre are built around a fantasy of what the situation is like; and although I believe that people hope for that fantasy, especially in high school, I’m neither sympathetic towards, nor intrigued by, the standard highschool anime romantic lead. That doesn’t mean I can’t be captured by shows set in the high school world—I still think Kids on the Slope is fantastic—but a show needs characters that I consider to be exceptionally well realized. This bothers me even in shows that make the effort; where I once would have adored Kokoro Connect, when I finally got around to watching it a couple of months ago I found the characters uninteresting. I’ve been avoiding re-watching EF: a Tale of Memories because it’s a show that really moved me when I first watched it, and now I think I would hate everyone in it.

It’s a little bit difficult for me to predict when characters will bother me, and which shows I will not have a problem with. To take a more contemporary example, I really liked the first season of Hibike Euphonium. I was a serious member of the brass section in a high school that struggled with tension between the members that wanted to sound good and the ones that didn’t seem to care, and watching the first season of Euphonium I found that the show resonated with me. However, watching the second season, I can’t get beyond the characters; suddenly the childishness of the personalities bothers me, and I haven’t been able to get beyond the first few episodes of the second season.

So, yes; in my experience, taste in anime changes as time passes. But I don’t think it’s as simple as saying “I used to like x, but now I don’t.” What I notice in the shows I watch has changed, as I would expect with new points of reference. Sometimes these experiences distract me from the good parts of a story, and sometimes it makes the process more enjoyable.

I actually have more written, but I decided to spare you the rest of my banal musings.

EDIT: it looks like the forums don't like how I wrote dashes. Some of the run-on sentences are supposed to have punctuation, I swear!
Feb 14, 2017 7:44 AM

Feb 2014
I'm in the same boat

I used to watch harem, ecchi shows exclusively until I found out that this medium can accomplish something far better than ...that. Needless to say, I did enjoy it at the time so I totally understand why people love that stuff. I just grew out of it.

Nowadays i just avoid anything of the sort, lol
Feb 14, 2017 7:47 AM

Aug 2014
It both changes as you watch more and as you get older.

Anime is good, fucking deal with it.
Feb 14, 2017 7:52 AM

Feb 2015
Yeah, my opinion has changed drastically.
I used to have nothing better to do so I only watched Harems, Ecchi and moe stuff which ironically is the genre I despise the most now. People who watch it after they're in their late 20s (27-29) are the type who I would avoid, they probably own a couple of figurines and a body pillow.

The anime I watch now are psychological anime, actual comedy that doesn't rely on the bland protagonist falling on a walking archetype with a pair of boobs, some badass seinen action and occasionally some good ol' battle shonen. (Though the majority of them suck, I won't say which ones cause they have really rabid fan bases). I also read shoujo romance though not very often.
Anime List|Manga List | Discord: Azureal#2963
Feb 14, 2017 8:16 AM

Apr 2015
I don't think I've been watching long enough to notice a preference change, but my standards are raising much faster then what I would have ever expected.
"I'd take rampant lesbianism over nuclear armageddon or a supervolcano any day." ~nikiforova
Feb 14, 2017 9:44 AM

Jan 2015
What I watch depends on what I am in the mood for, though I am always in the mood for a good romance. I have only watched anime for a couple years, so I cant speak over a long period, but short term as I watch more anime my taste change.
Like one of the first anime I watched was SAO and I loved it so much cringes but now I dont really like it at all.
Feb 14, 2017 10:46 AM

Apr 2014
It didn't really change as much as it just got more refined, like veing able to tell if a show is generic and shit, or if it's actually good.
Feb 14, 2017 11:28 AM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Well, at first I was oriented to romance anime, then I switched in romance/harem/ecchi, then stuck to romance/ecchi and before I knew it was heavily implemented on action/adventure/fantasy genres such as SAO.
Encoming I was crazy about videogames anime, then moe and shoujo-ai.

Somewhat before last year I was loving seinen and shounen from 2000-2010 and last thing now is mystery anime, though I watch anything I want now.

Feb 14, 2017 5:47 PM

Jul 2016
Yeah, I think it changes before when I was a child I used to watch Cardcaptor Sakura, Wedding Peach, Sailor Moon, Voltes V, Fancy Lala and other anime but if I'm going to watch them now I will definitely get bored. But now, I preferred psychological, seinen, comedy etc. There is also a barrier like when you are a child you cannot watch violent or ecchi anime.
Feb 14, 2017 6:13 PM

Jan 2017
_xDane_ said:
I'm probably worried that once I hit 30, my preference might change again and I wouldn't be able to find any show that suits it.

@_xDane_ If ever a definitive argument could be made I'd believe it to based only upon your own philosophy; that is to say What you''ll experience in the coming 4 years and How you apply what you've learnt into Who you become.

To offer some reconciliation ... you may have entirely overlooked the other side of the flip-coin. Like many, the change in your preference may very well be triggered by some form of realization or epiphany that perhaps doesn't narrow - but broadens your preference. I suppose, the more you live life or in this case watch anime - the more likely you will discover trends in life and the middle-ground towards what is it exactly that brings you satisfaction. :')

I'm in the same boat, though. I loved the 'school' genre but since diving into adulthood the genre does lose some flair or novelty. I'm not sure what the case is for you ... but in my becoming alienated to genre's like 'School' it's allowed me to put in effort finding other genre's that i otherwise wouldn't had - which has allowed me a lot more diversification. Chances are if you have only one or two genre's in mind then now is a time to rejoice & not to worry. So the cheesy idiom goes ... "don't judge a book by it's cover" which is applicable to your concern more than ever. Chase the captivating characters to their Genres! This is how you'll survive and you may, just may ... return back to an old, favorite genre. (。●́‿●̀。)

Anywho ... Just a mad-man's blabbering.
Sincerely,
Willow_Boy.
“Join my wander, to a yonder. In search of the meaning from mystery & wonder ...
And when tragedy finds us, and breaks our bodies, we'll find peace in one shared mind.”

Feb 14, 2017 7:24 PM

Jan 2017
Willow_Folk said:
_xDane_ said:
I'm probably worried that once I hit 30, my preference might change again and I wouldn't be able to find any show that suits it.

@_xDane_ If ever a definitive argument could be made I'd believe it to based only upon your own philosophy; that is to say What you''ll experience in the coming 4 years and How you apply what you've learnt into Who you become.

Couldn't agree more. For me the fact of studying literary studies and film studies changed around my taste completely. I now longer fancy Sci-Fi and Fantasy only, Since my studies showed me how delightful a well-told story can be in any genre.
Feb 14, 2017 7:30 PM

Dec 2015
For me nope.. even as kid I used to watch Detective Conan and reading Sherlock Holmes and so far my taste doesnt change, either mystery, thriller, psychology kinda thing hehe ... and now im 24 :)
Feb 14, 2017 7:32 PM

Jan 2017
I know my tastes have certainly changed. Im 22 now but when i was younger (around 12) action was all i wanted to see in an anime. The plot and other important parts of anime never came to mind. When i was around 16-18 i enjoyed adventure anme with a good plot and character development. I still love and enjoy those two genera, but now i am really into romance/slice of life/ school anime. I still dont understand why my tastes have changed.
Feb 14, 2017 8:23 PM

Jan 2011
A person's preferences isn't the only thing that changes, anime itself undergoes drastic changes every few years/decade. The same values that I gained from the anime I watched while growing up aren't shown anymore. I'm an advocate of meaningful anime, this is not to say most new anime are casual, in fact, many of them tend to be a lot more "intellectual" but that's not always what I'm looking for.

As someone who essentially no longer watches anime (I've tried), I'm curious to know, on a high level, what characteristics define the recent iterations of anime, what values do they express? thanks in advance.
Feb 14, 2017 11:30 PM

Oct 2016
Elsoreth said:
I’m surprised I’m replying to this; I’m no longer a regular on this site, and never got into using the forums. However, I find the question interesting enough that it seems worth trying to put together my thoughts on the matter, and I ended up writing a response for my own benefit. I apologize for the length, but hopefully someone reading the thread will find my thoughts interesting.

As I expect is the case with most of the people here that are about my age (22), my introduction to anime consisted of Saturday morning “cartoons” I watched in elementary school--things like Pokemon and Cardcaptors. I use the term “cartoons” because that’s essentially how I watched them; I remember the WB television block also had a loony toons series, and I’m not convinced I differentiated between the pokemon episodes I watched religiously every week and the Scooby Doo episodes I watched whenever I had the option. Friends of mine recently wanted to watch the Pokemon anime again, and although the experience was enjoyable I would not have enjoyed watching the episodes we did if it hadn’t been for the memories associated with the show. So, my tastes have changed.

But it isn’t that I find the genre repellant, and so find myself prejudiced; we also re-watched the first three Pokemon movies, and I found that I still enjoyed them greatly—but it was a different experience from what I remembered. When I watched the first Pokemon movie as a kid, it terrified me. Something about the storm, Mewtwo’s malice, and the idea of evil clones really bothered me. Watching it a second time, I found myself just enjoying the spectacle. Interestingly, re-watching the unknown and Entei movie was an exercise in thinking “did they really want this to be for kids?”

I don’t want this post to be just about Pokemon, but revisiting my favorite childhood series did make a point clear to me: very different things stand out to me now, than what stood out when I watched them over a decade ago. When I first watched Spirited Away (in theaters, my parents have good taste) I had nightmares for months; the concept of my parents being turned into pigs and being teleported to a spirit world was ghastly. Watching it again a couple of years ago, I was fascinated by the allegories; I didn’t focus on the terror of the setup at all. The only thing I remember from my first watching of Totoro was the magical adventure; I didn’t even realize until watching it again that the story stems from adjusting to a move, and that the characters are dealing with the strain of a dying loved one.

I strongly believe that the elements of the shows that I pick up on are dictated by the experiences I’ve had. For a long time I was not a fan of romance in anime; it just didn’t interest me. I found myself drawn to romance in anime at about the same time I began to be interested in pursuing relationships. There are some shows that I discovered I liked quite a lot, sometimes because they reminded me of my own experiences. Sometimes surprisingly so; I went into Mysterious Girlfriend X expecting to hate it, but I found that (once I got passed the disgusting saliva thing) the show reminded me a lot about discovering what it means to be in a relationship. Similarly, I think 5 cm per second really impacted me because of decisions I’ve made in my own life.

Unlike many of the people that have replied to the question, I do find that there are shows and genres I’m no longer drawn to. At some point, I discovered that I was no longer interested in the standard high school romance characters. I don’t know for sure if the issue is primarily saturation, or if the issue is that with my experiences I no longer empathize with the characters. I find that many shows of the genre are built around a fantasy of what the situation is like; and although I believe that people hope for that fantasy, especially in high school, I’m neither sympathetic towards, nor intrigued by, the standard highschool anime romantic lead. That doesn’t mean I can’t be captured by shows set in the high school world—I still think Kids on the Slope is fantastic—but a show needs characters that I consider to be exceptionally well realized. This bothers me even in shows that make the effort; where I once would have adored Kokoro Connect, when I finally got around to watching it a couple of months ago I found the characters uninteresting. I’ve been avoiding re-watching EF: a Tale of Memories because it’s a show that really moved me when I first watched it, and now I think I would hate everyone in it.

It’s a little bit difficult for me to predict when characters will bother me, and which shows I will not have a problem with. To take a more contemporary example, I really liked the first season of Hibike Euphonium. I was a serious member of the brass section in a high school that struggled with tension between the members that wanted to sound good and the ones that didn’t seem to care, and watching the first season of Euphonium I found that the show resonated with me. However, watching the second season, I can’t get beyond the characters; suddenly the childishness of the personalities bothers me, and I haven’t been able to get beyond the first few episodes of the second season.

So, yes; in my experience, taste in anime changes as time passes. But I don’t think it’s as simple as saying “I used to like x, but now I don’t.” What I notice in the shows I watch has changed, as I would expect with new points of reference. Sometimes these experiences distract me from the good parts of a story, and sometimes it makes the process more enjoyable.

I actually have more written, but I decided to spare you the rest of my banal musings.

EDIT: it looks like the forums don't like how I wrote dashes. Some of the run-on sentences are supposed to have punctuation, I swear!

Pretty lengthy for your first post, but still awesome. :)

Thanks for the input. I did read it all! lol

Willow_Folk said:
_xDane_ said:

To offer some reconciliation ... you may have entirely overlooked the other side of the flip-coin. Like many, the change in your preference may very well be triggered by some form of realization or epiphany that perhaps doesn't narrow - but broadens your preference. I suppose, the more you live life or in this case watch anime - the more likely you will discover trends in life and the middle-ground towards what is it exactly that brings you satisfaction. :')

I'm in the same boat, though. I loved the 'school' genre but since diving into adulthood the genre does lose some flair or novelty. I'm not sure what the case is for you ... but in my becoming alienated to genre's like 'School' it's allowed me to put in effort finding other genre's that i otherwise wouldn't had - which has allowed me a lot more diversification. Chances are if you have only one or two genre's in mind then now is a time to rejoice & not to worry. So the cheesy idiom goes ... "don't judge a book by it's cover" which is applicable to your concern more than ever. Chase the captivating characters to their Genres! This is how you'll survive and you may, just may ... return back to an old, favorite genre. (。●́‿●̀。)

Anywho ... Just a mad-man's blabbering.
Sincerely,
Willow_Boy.

Wow.. I really appreciate that view. Same here, since I'm becoming more 'paranoid' on how will I fit it in the society of growing young adults, I think it has also started to affect my preference in Anime.

I'm more and more getting interested on Animes with 'work' or 'office' settings rather than on a school environment. Looks like I'll try to find MCs belonging to the young adult age lol.
iLyaFeb 14, 2017 11:38 PM

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Feb 14, 2017 11:44 PM

Apr 2015
Unless you're a completely (mentally) static person, I imagine that a person's taste would change (to various degrees) over time.
Feb 15, 2017 12:19 AM

Feb 2016
My taste in anime hasn't really changed. When I first started watching anime I was into shounen, and I'm still into shounen. However, I am more open-minded nowerdays. I almost watch every genre, which contrasts to when I first started watching anime, as I would only watch battle shounen.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 15, 2017 12:46 AM

Nov 2009
_xDane_ said:

Don't worry. I'm 30 now, and I enjoy a lot of anime.

As for how my tastes evolved:
1) When I was a kid, I did watch Maya the bee and Voltron. And a few scraps of Macross, which got me quite confused. I didn't knew about anime at that time.
I do remember I had a preference for action shows like Voltron, rather than Maya and some american slice-of-life cartoon I did watch too.

2) I really got into anime in high school, when I watched Cardcaptor Sakura. In case you didn't see it, CCS is a magical girl show. It had moe main cast, and magic was more about mystery than about fighting evil. I still enjoy all these things.
Digimon was too childish for me (but I watched it anyway), and Sailor Moon was the first show where I discovered I could fall in love with anime girls. Since that time, I had no problems watching fanservice shows.
Maybe because my first fanservice show was Najika Blitz Tactics, and I never felt a show had too much fanservice afterwards. Because Najika really had too much fanservice, and wasn't creative about it.

3) In my next stage, I finally got more-or-less unrestricted access to anime, because local network had a lot of it, and later I got broadband internet access.
I tried a lot of different shows, and I still enjoy a lot of different kinds of anime to this day.

4) After I have seen Naruto, and survived its filler hell, my enthusiasm for battle shounen anime burned out. I think it's the only major change in my anime tastes since I really started with anime.
Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, MAR - I could not watch them for long.
The only pure example of the genre I enjoyed was Nanatsu No Taisai, probably because it skipped straight to the awesome parts.

5) Having seen a lot of ecchi, harems and battle harems, I do not like them as much as I used to. On the other hand, having seen so much ecchi anime, I'm always willing to defend it from people who claim that all ecchi is dumb/the same/result of lack of confidence on the author's part.
I think I liked shows with lots of girls in them since high school, because that's when I started walking the path of STEM fields, and living in the world where there is 1 female per 5-10 males.

6) I have no idea when I started liking SoL shows. Maybe when I became a university student and had to work much harder than in school. But I think it wasn't from the start.

7) Around 500-600 titles, I started being on the lookout for potentially unusual anime.
flannanFeb 15, 2017 1:13 AM
Feb 15, 2017 1:19 AM

Nov 2009
blixie said:
I only started watching anime four years ago, but I've become less and less tolerant of ecchi...

I suggest watching a really ecchi anime, like Najika or Strike Witches. Once you have seen them, most other so-called "ecchi" anime will look like they just have minor fanservice moments in comparison.

Chillapay said:
Btw how do u make a gif/picture appear under my name in replies?

It's called a "forum avatar".
You can set it up here: https://myanimelist.net/editprofile.php?go=forumoptions (these settings are accessible from "edit profile" button in the top-right of your profile page)

ShiroiMuffler said:
A person's preferences isn't the only thing that changes, anime itself undergoes drastic changes every few years/decade. The same values that I gained from the anime I watched while growing up aren't shown anymore. I'm an advocate of meaningful anime, this is not to say most new anime are casual, in fact, many of them tend to be a lot more "intellectual" but that's not always what I'm looking for.

As someone who essentially no longer watches anime (I've tried), I'm curious to know, on a high level, what characteristics define the recent iterations of anime, what values do they express? thanks in advance.

That's a hard question you're asking.
I think the questions of tolerance and differences have been asked a lot recently. This season's Demi-chan is head-on in that direction, but there are others. For example, all the unusual people in Sidonia no Kishi. I wonder if it's America's influence, or is it something that's happening in Japan?

Scarlett_ryuken said:
Anime_Spider said:

As bleach and death note being the first anime I've seen, it is special to me. I give anime scores based on my enjoyment level.

k minus bleach and death note, you
1. "Now, I can't stand that genre." minus the fact that shounen is a demographic and not a genre
ass class, and owari on searph are shouens, so nice contro
2.again kokoro connect, owari on searph sooo mature, you gave them high scores, means you enjoyed them no?
so much for enjoying mature and serious shit am i right

Kokoro Connect is, in fact, quite mature anime about understanding other people. Why do you think otherwise?
flannanFeb 15, 2017 1:38 AM
Feb 15, 2017 3:02 AM

Oct 2015
@flannan

yea fuck not quoting that so you get an @

anyways.
1.idk how you see mature but imo, the whole thing is laughable
the character are stupid, they dont act mature and most of the drama and thing happen only cause they were forced to, doesnt seem mature to me
mature anime need to have more than just themetic shit to them, maturity is all about atmosphere
look at 20th century boys and kaiji(i cheating by using manga but i needa prove my point)
their theme are pretty black and white, and simple, yet it's quite mature

this just imo anyways
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Feb 15, 2017 3:09 AM

Nov 2008
It has changed to accept all kind of genres that I wouldn't thought of ever watching when I was younger. It's good to enjoy everything.
Feb 15, 2017 12:16 PM

Jun 2013
flannan said:
blixie said:
I only started watching anime four years ago, but I've become less and less tolerant of ecchi...

I suggest watching a really ecchi anime, like Najika or Strike Witches. Once you have seen them, most other so-called "ecchi" anime will look like they just have minor fanservice moments in comparison.

I have seen Strike Witches actually, and I didn't even think it was that bad.

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Feb 15, 2017 12:35 PM

Nov 2009
blixie said:
flannan said:

It wasn't "bad" in any way. But it was very close to "pantyshot in every shot" ideal.
Feb 15, 2017 12:46 PM

Jun 2013
flannan said:
blixie said:

It wasn't "bad" in any way. But it was very close to "pantyshot in every shot" ideal.
I suppose there's truth to that. And if you don't mind me asking, does Najika have another name? I'm not sure I've heard of it.

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Feb 15, 2017 1:08 PM

Nov 2009
blixie said:
flannan said:

I suppose there's truth to that. And if you don't mind me asking, does Najika have another name? I'm not sure I've heard of it.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/321/Najica_Dengeki_Sakusen
I know it as "agent Najika", probably because somebody tried marketing it as related to Agent Aika (which is quite similar).
Feb 15, 2017 1:25 PM

Jun 2013
flannan said:
blixie said:

I know it as "agent Najika", probably because somebody tried marketing it as related to Agent Aika (which is quite similar).
Wow that looks... fascinating...

Why would you choose these anime's as examples of ecchi?I mean it's obviously there, but I wouldn't exactly describe them as iconic.

anime list
manga list
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
APC
Anime Advocates
Feb 15, 2017 2:39 PM

Jan 2013
I tend to watch more things from the pre 2000s era. Lot of good stuff people are missing out on.
Feb 15, 2017 3:23 PM

Aug 2014
Yes, today I find 90% of School Slice of Life to be incredibly boring.
I find most shounen shows and video game shows to be silly, and it's harder for me to get immersed into these kind of shows.
Feb 15, 2017 3:42 PM

Feb 2016
It did change a lot! when i was a teenager, i used to love shounen shows, adventure and action shows. but now i could care less about action shows and i rarely watch a shounens anymore, they have to be special kind of shounen. now the more most important for me is anime that brings deep human emotions to there limits or try to handle a social subject and discover the depth of the human psychology and mind...comedy is fine as well 😂
Feb 15, 2017 3:57 PM
Sep 2016
I used to only watch shounen but now I prefer psychological
Feb 15, 2017 5:02 PM

Nov 2014
I am 27 and my taste only got wider so i will pretty much watch anything aside from yaoi obviously. Younger i would only watch comedy and action mostly so i guess over time i became more open about everything else especially romance and slice of life now i quite enjoy them.

If there is 1 genre i am still iffy about however is sports but i am slowly coming around, the reason for this is due to me not really being a sports person and never have been interested in them aside from the aggressive ones like MMA and boxing.

As for ecchi/harem/hentai i am more perverted now than i was 10-15 years ago and that will not change. I have always been perverted but i had limits and i somewhat kept it in somewhat check aside from best friends and certain family but as i got older i didn't give a shit anymore and now i'm open about everything pretty much and my whole family knows about it.

One of my cousins is pretty open with me too and we share porn interests and share stuff, the rest of my family jokes around with me when it comes to hentai though but i don't care cause we're all bullshitters and fuck with each other.
No drop crew, Loyal husband, sadomasochist, H&E bully, AWC fan. Click sig for n00dz!
Feb 15, 2017 5:49 PM
Jul 2018
I think everyone is subjected to some sort of changes in taste while growing older yes. For example i myself startted watching anime with more interest in fantasy settings and slices of lifes, however as time goes on i began to slowly grown apart from both genres.
So yeah i guess i can relate with that.
removed-userFeb 15, 2017 5:59 PM
Feb 15, 2017 5:56 PM

Oct 2008
I still like what I liked when I started it's just morphed into me like more and different genres like before I hated mecha and space dramas and now I like them.
Feb 15, 2017 6:23 PM
Feb 2017
I started watching anime about 10 years ago and now I'm almost 40. A late bloomer you may say. When I first started it was all about romance and slice of life type shows. Now I find that I am willing to try most genres if the story and art are interesting. I still don't like a lot of fan service or mecha shows. But I have found myself watching them if the story is good. So, I guess what I find as I get older is that it is more about content not genre that keeps me watching. My favorite series right now are Blue Exorcist, Chain Chronicle, Yona of the Dawn, The Ancient Magnus Bride, Yuri on Ice, Erased and Bungo Stray Dogs. Although my favorite anime of all time is 12 Kingdoms. The books were fantastic and I just love the story.
Feb 15, 2017 8:52 PM

Nov 2009
blixie said:
flannan said:

Wow that looks... fascinating...

Why would you choose these anime's as examples of ecchi?I mean it's obviously there, but I wouldn't exactly describe them as iconic.

They aren't examples of ecchi or iconic. They are ecchi anime that left me with impression they have a lot of ecchi. Ecchi anime's ecchi anime, so to say.
Feb 16, 2017 12:20 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah. During at the age of like 13-14 I used to enjoy Shounen series, but now at my 20's when I watch them I am like meh..trash anime/manga, shit plot, lame comdey ect.
Feb 16, 2017 12:25 PM

Oct 2014
I sure hope it does
Spending my entire life fixed on the same liking and series does not look like a good perspective
Feb 16, 2017 12:27 PM

Jun 2014
Not really except for one thing , Iyashikei . when i was like 17-18 years old i thought they were Boring and uninteresting and now that i'm 22 almost 23 it's one of my favourite genre
Feb 16, 2017 12:43 PM

Jan 2009
When I was a kid I watched Dragon Ball, Slayers, Gundam Wing because I could watch it on tv. Later when I finally could find something on the internet (hello 2003 and 9 years old me) it was DN Angel, Ragnarok the Animation and Hunter x Hunter. Being a teenager I focused more on shoujo manga (the sad moment of realisation how typical teenage girl I was). Sadly I dropped anime because I had no time for it and couldn't find anything interesting for me :/ Now being 23 years old I can say that still I love watch something with a good, misterious plot, I still like to come back to my old fav series and still like to squeal quietly while seeing my cheesy otp on screen.

I guess that after seeing a lot of good series as a kid, I became really picky. I can watch few episodes of something really dumb to kill the time, but tbh I really thankfull to finally be able watch few good series these years.
Feb 16, 2017 12:57 PM

Jun 2009
Well, I'm 29 years old, and my taste is still the same as 10 years ago when I started watching anime. The only problem is that it takes more time finding a good anime than watching it, since I've seen most of the good stuff.

Genre-wise there is nothing different to when I was 19. I still love good shounen, shoujo, seinen, yosei, from mahou shoujo to psychological, it just needs to be interesting.
Feb 16, 2017 1:03 PM

Feb 2011
I'm 22 and have been watching anime for 8 years now, but my taste hasn't changed at all. My favorite shows from back in 2009 are still my favorites now. Sometimes there'll be a show that I'm actually afraid to rewatch because I may end up not liking it anymore, but that is extremely rare.
Feb 16, 2017 1:09 PM

Jul 2014
As for me, nope, my taste didnt change, so long as it entertains me, makes me laugh, brings me to the edge of my seat, its done its purpose.
Feb 16, 2017 1:14 PM
Feb 2017
I've never liked fan service. What I've enjoyed since childhood, and, as a guy in his mid 20s, still very much do, are adventure anime. I recently started watching Naruto for the first time ever and I had a sensation of being entertained. I'd lost some interest in anime, watching maybe a couple of shows per year for a while.
Though, as I am slowly coming back to watching more anime, I can feel that I generally enjoy more complex animes now more than ever, if I have to do a summary of what I've seen over the past years.
Feb 16, 2017 1:29 PM

Mar 2014
I'm definitely more picky about what I watch, I find myself liking slice of life less and seinen/action more.

But even as I get older I still strongly dislike Josei.
Feb 16, 2017 1:33 PM

Jan 2013
Started to watch anime when I was 20. My main interest at the start where harem, ecchi genres anything fansevice in general. Where as now I just like to enjoy SoL comedies, animes with a more laid back nature. I'll watch a new ecchi, or action type anime occasional.
Feb 16, 2017 1:47 PM
Dec 2015
I started watching anime regularly when i was 19.

Never liked fanservice based anime and that hasn't changed.
Always loved Cyberpunk, so naturally my favorites are Psycho Pass and GITS.

Now i'm 21 and the only thing that changed is free time, i just don't have as much free time i used to. Anime will always be part of my life, but i probably won't be able to marathon 3 seasons in a row anytime soon :(
Feb 16, 2017 1:49 PM
Dec 2015
yep, used to not like shows like ouran, but now I do. I also appreciate a lot more coming of age stories as I grow older, and I probably wouldn't like tatami galaxy without having gone to college
Feb 16, 2017 3:14 PM

Jun 2013
as I grow old
The only change taste I noticed is I don't like shounen genre too much (especially with stupid and reckless MC) just like when I still kid
Feb 16, 2017 3:22 PM

Oct 2016
EcchiLordMamster said:
_xDane_ said:

For example. I was a huge fan of fanservice and harem in my early 20s and now, as I grow older.. (26 atm), I became more aware and lean towards genre like Usagi Drop (funny that I'm now trying to find similar mangas to read, wherein I'm not really a fan of manga).

this word killed it :/

im 27 and im a huge fan of fanservice, harem, moe and loli , what you tryna say? >.>

anyway, no, i always liked the female characters the most therefore has always gravitated towards female oriented anime

I cute female characters that have good personality. If it's just some bullshit that is too cute with no story it's shit though.
I always liked anime with a good story. anime with a bunch of men is a NO. If anime has a bunch of men and a bad story it's a pile of shit.
The anime needs to have at least some women in it.

My taste has never changed.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

» Romance anime with wheelchair girl

ZakuF_ - 9 hours ago

6 by Zettaiken »»
54 seconds ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 4 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

158 by FFandMMfan »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Choose one and give your reason for doing so. [NO SPOILERS]

TsutanaiFuun - 46 minutes ago

3 by Ratris_Decision »»
7 minutes ago

» Popular and acclaimed anime that you do not understand the hype of?

Semester1 - 6 hours ago

29 by Serafos »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - 1 hour ago

15 by Ratris_Decision »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.