Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »
Jan 2, 2017 4:06 PM
Aug 2016
Mkim said:
Pyravia said:
Boring. Very, very, really, really boring.
You showed a bunch'o' interest first time you asnwered me
What can I say? I have multiple personality disorder. .3.
Jan 2, 2017 9:05 PM

May 2016
Mainstream anime are fun to rag on. However when you actually look at my favourites, you'll see they're kind of mainstream, half of them are in the top 300 in popularity and ranking.
What I hate about them is when they're claimed to be the very best of anime but they haven't even finished airing. So I have to say I hate the seasonal mainstream then the ones that stood the test of time.
Jan 2, 2017 9:13 PM
Jul 2018
It's hard for me to tell what is really mainstream/popular... well here are some "mainstream" anime and what I thought of them.

Death note (Dislike it)
Sword art online (meh but I still enjoy some of it)
Attack on Titan (liked it but not that much really)
Fullmetal alchemist (liked it)
Re;Zero (hated it)

But then there is also plenty of anime that are still quite popular or at least were popular such as Evangellioin, monogatari series ETC. and many would not deam those shows mainstream.

So in summary, I don't really care and it's not like "mainstream" shows are somehow easily defined or anything.
Jan 2, 2017 9:34 PM

May 2016
Well, there are shows that are mainstream because they are good but are shows that are mainstream because they are stupid. So, my thoughts on mainstream anime is that it depends in which anime.
Jan 3, 2017 12:41 AM
Aug 2016
SuzuMine-chan said:
Well, there are shows that are mainstream because they are good but are shows that are mainstream because they are stupid. So, my thoughts on mainstream anime is that it depends in which anime.
But, I mean like, mainstream anime in general. .3.
Jan 3, 2017 12:46 AM
Aug 2016
I guess they're good that's why their so popular and mainstream.
But, personally I found a lot of underrated ones to be far more unexpected and exciting.
Jan 3, 2017 12:48 AM
Aug 2016
Mastermind_01 said:
But, personally I found a lot of underrated ones to be far more unexpected and exciting.
Hm... Some are good... Some are decent.. Some are bad.
Jan 3, 2017 12:49 AM
Aug 2016
Pyravia said:
Mastermind_01 said:

Exactly!
But that's just natural I guess.
Jan 3, 2017 12:49 AM
Aug 2016
Mastermind_01 said:
Pyravia said:

Exactly!
Mhm... I don't agree with everyone, y'know.
Jan 3, 2017 12:51 AM
Aug 2016
Pyravia said:
Mastermind_01 said:

Exactly!

Then I guess i'm honored/flattered.
Jan 3, 2017 12:52 AM
Aug 2016
Mastermind_01 said:
Pyravia said:

It just depends on your opinion, of course.
Jan 3, 2017 12:54 AM
Aug 2016
Pyravia said:
Mastermind_01 said:

@Pyravia
Of course it does.............
Jan 3, 2017 12:56 AM
Aug 2016
Mastermind_01 said:
Pyravia said:

@Pyravia
Yes, of course. I'm a picky person sometimes.
Jan 3, 2017 12:57 AM

Apr 2014
Most of them are good tbh the ones on the top 100 are pretty nice. A lot are extremely over-hated (SAO, NGNL, Re: Zero etc) even though they are quite decent.
Jan 3, 2017 12:58 AM
Aug 2016
Pyravia said:
Mastermind_01 said:

@Pyravia

Good for you. ........................
You know I had to add a lot of full stops or dots whatever just to complete the 30 letters count.
Jan 3, 2017 12:59 AM
Aug 2016
Mastermind_01 said:
Pyravia said:

You know I had to add a lot of full stops or dots whatever just to complete the 30 letters count.
That's not allowed... You can even get banned for doing it.
Jan 3, 2017 1:00 AM
Aug 2016
Pyravia said:
Mastermind_01 said:

That's not allowed... You can even get banned for doing it.

Woah !
Really
Then I guess thanks for the warning.
Jan 3, 2017 1:11 AM

May 2016
Pyravia said:
SuzuMine-chan said:
But, I mean like, mainstream anime in general. .3.
So, you like every mainstream anime? I'm sure there are many that you don't like, just like everything. :)
Jan 3, 2017 1:49 AM

Mar 2016
Being popular means the show has good things that cater to a wide audience. But it doesn't automatically make it better (from the term of "quality") than unpopular ones.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Jan 3, 2017 1:52 AM
Aug 2016
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
Being popular means the show has good things that cater to a wide audience. But it doesn't automatically make it better (from the term of "quality") than unpopular ones.
Of course. Mononoke deserves more attention, too.
Jan 3, 2017 1:56 AM

Jun 2016
sometimes good and sometimes shitty.
and they got live action that ruined the anime more.

The world is cruel, ugly and pitiful. Let's watch anime and make it colorful
Jan 3, 2017 2:01 AM

Aug 2011
I don't care much for the anime themselves that are popular, but the fans of said popular shows can be really obnoxious (Re:Zero fans trigger me). So that's a downside to an anime going mainstream.

Shows get popular for a reason though. Sometimes I'll check out a few episodes and see what the hype is about. Otherwise I can't get myself to care much.

Jan 3, 2017 2:02 AM
Jul 2016
I don't think mainstream anime are all bad even though they have around 600/700 episodes they can turn out good. I watched Naruto and Naruto shippuden it was a great anime definitely worth it I am also watching one piece right now and it's amazing, I have also seen hunter x hunter, and death note. Full metal alchemist not all the hype people say it is, it's just ok but give it a shot some popular ones are really great
Jan 3, 2017 2:09 AM
Jul 2016
Ya I did see full metal alchemist Brother hood and I just randomly stopped watching it at like episode 65 I just got bored of it,lol
Jan 3, 2017 2:11 AM

Mar 2016
Pyravia said:
Kurniawan_Ktr said:
Of course. Mononoke deserves more attention, too.

I haven't watch mononoke, but I think it's artstyle and theme that make it unpopular.

I hear good things about it though. Someone even claim that it's a great horror serie and a must watch for horror genre fans.
"People who don't see that anime has changed are either wearing "glasses" or watching only a certain type (and or era) of anime"
"Having a low mean score doesn't necessarily mean one doesn't enjoy anime. Rating system is not a school grading system."
"Elitist is people who think he is superior than others. Not necessarily ones who insulting/critisizing your favorite anime or people who enjoy a certain type of anime"
"Fanboy is people who translating "your favorite anime is shit" into "you are shit".
"Being a fanboy is an indication of elitism"
Jan 3, 2017 2:19 AM

Jul 2013
Some of them are good, others are okay, and others are bad, like happens with lesser known animes.
Jan 3, 2017 2:53 AM
Aug 2016
Illyricus said:
Some of them are good, others are okay, and others are bad, like happens with lesser known animes.
Like, every reply is the same, I said.
Jan 3, 2017 2:55 AM

Dec 2015
Some are good, others are bad, most are overhyped. I am actually glad that Death Note is such a popular anime though because most battle shounen just don't interest me.
Jan 3, 2017 3:02 AM
Sep 2016
Well, some of them are really good anime but I ended up hating in most of the cases the overrated anime because I realized that they are "garbage" *MY OPINION* like: SAO, Attack on Titan, etc
Some of the overrated anime are really decent and OK like: Re:Zero, Boku no Hero, One Punch, etc
REMEMBER IT'S MY OPINION
Jan 3, 2017 3:07 AM

Jan 2015
be popular mean "everyone" watch it, so it must be good. in other way unpopular is for filthy loser, deal with it.
yeah, eat me please

la critique de l'intention pure
Jan 3, 2017 3:18 AM

Aug 2015
Some are overrated af and others like steins;gate hunter x hunter and FMAB really kick ass.
Liking traps is gay and liking Lolis is Pedophila.
Come at me bruh!
Jan 3, 2017 4:09 AM
Aug 2016
Ferikusu said:
Well, thing is; most of them are quite enjoyable while watching. But i don't end up being particularly obsessed in the end.
An unknown anime can be just as good as a very popular one, imo.
Jan 3, 2017 4:40 AM

Jul 2015
More enjoyable than boring "elitist anime" for sure :)
Jan 3, 2017 4:52 AM

Feb 2016
There has to be a reason why some of the shows are so popular. With a big audience comes a lot of hate. Personally, I believe most of the people who hate mainstream are hipsters or perhaps don't like the the genres in mainstream. For instance most of the mainstream shows tend to be shounen and I can see why most people don't like shounen.

I personally love mainstream shows since most of them cater to my taste.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 3, 2017 4:59 AM

Aug 2015
I actually like some of them, though some are overrated obviously :P
Jan 3, 2017 5:18 AM

Jan 2017
I`d say most of them are popular for a good reason. They often have good story arcs and gorgeous animation. And yes by far not all of them. After all, popular Anime made me watch it in the first place.
Jan 3, 2017 5:41 AM

Aug 2014
There shouldn't be a difference on your judgement regarding an anime as it is popular/mainstream or not.
Makes no sense but a good anime is a good anime whether or not is it massively liked by us ningen, same goes for a bad one.
Though i must say lots are overrated and the other lots are over hated
Jan 3, 2017 6:13 AM

Jul 2015
I like the most mainstream of them all, NGE.
Jan 3, 2017 6:36 AM

Feb 2016
mainstream anime is the medium which need to protected from butthurt haters who bash mainstream anime with the word 'overrated' and 'generic' :P
Jan 3, 2017 6:39 AM
Aug 2016
Nurlela said:
mainstream anime is the medium which need to protected from butthurt haters who bash mainstream anime with the word 'overrated' and 'generic' :P
A bit different from everyone else, thank you. But, the lesson is: Unknown can and are just as good as some popular ones.
Jan 3, 2017 8:06 AM

Oct 2012
In my opinion, most mainstream have this kind of "recipe to success", they all follow some pattern when it comes to plot or even characters development. Of course some of them can be good even if it's not the most original thing, but others just try to follow that recipe and end up sucking.
Jan 3, 2017 12:02 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I feel like it's nice if I end up liking something mainstream, just because that makes it more accessible on the whole in other departments

Like, with SAO, finding the LNs and getting a good deal on a PVC of best grill were relatively easy in comparison to something like Magipoka, which the only best grill PVC I can find is fuckin' balls to the wall expensive even though I'll probably get it when I get the money together anyway

That's about the extent of it

Jan 3, 2017 12:24 PM
Sep 2015
It's complicated. I think whether I like or dislike a popular show depends on what people around me think about that show. A good example is Yuri on Ice. Although it was a fine show at the beginning in my opinion, people around me talked so much about it that I got bored of it. All those Yuri x Victor fanarts... They made me sick.
People tend to talk more about mainstream animes than old stuff, and it's natural. Opinions change by time, look at re:zero, all those haters are vanished, few remain. In short, popularity is only for a time being. As long as there are new animes that come out, there will always be popular animes and its haters.
Jan 3, 2017 12:25 PM

Nov 2008
Depends on what you mean by mainstream.

If you mean stuff like Naruto, then I'd say I have mixed feelings. I've had plenty of friends who have ONLY seen Naruto, think it's the best thing ever, and claim to love anime. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be annoying. I definitely feel like Naruto gets more attention than it deserves.

On the other hand, I once had a friend call Tokyo Ghoul mainstream. I can certainly see why someone would think this(it's popular), but it's one of those that I feel truly deserves its popularity. At least, the manga does; I was kind of disappointed in the anime. It's the same with Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

All in all, mainstream does not automatically mean bad. But it can be annoying when a show becomes as massively overrated as Naruto did.
Jan 3, 2017 12:49 PM
Aug 2016
Higurashi said:
Depends on what you mean by mainstream.

If you mean stuff like Naruto, then I'd say I have mixed feelings. I've had plenty of friends who have ONLY seen Naruto, think it's the best thing ever, and claim to love anime. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can be annoying. I definitely feel like Naruto gets more attention than it deserves.

On the other hand, I once had a friend call Tokyo Ghoul mainstream. I can certainly see why someone would think this(it's popular), but it's one of those that I feel truly deserves its popularity. At least, the manga does; I was kind of disappointed in the anime. It's the same with Hunter x Hunter and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

All in all, mainstream does not automatically mean bad. But it can be annoying when a show becomes as massively overrated as Naruto did.
Finally a different reply. Completely true, thank you.
Jan 3, 2017 1:23 PM

Aug 2009
Pyravia said:
dakotasapphire said:

I'm such a weird person I can't say I keep a favorite.
Although some stuff was my favorite before, but yeah not so much.

I mean I really remember this as being so fking good:
https://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Gyakkyou_Burai_Kaiji__Ultimate_Survivor

Even though the art was weird, I was like 'omg the art'
Wow, that anime is actually good. I haven't watched it yet, though.

You probably should at some point :D
Jan 3, 2017 1:51 PM

Nov 2016
I think mainstream/popular qnime are good, BUT I think other animes should also be more seen. It isnt just anime on the top that is good.
Jan 3, 2017 2:36 PM

Apr 2016
AnimeAddict117 said:
The fact is....some of them are actually overrated

"Some of them" lmao... People forget about the weaknesses those anime have, watch the popular shows with a critical eye and you'll absolutely deteste most shows. When I just think about FTs strengths I won't hesitate to throw a 9 on my rating list and then I see the flaws, the asspulls and the pairings that lead nowhere.

BTT: They gained the popularity for a reason, some people see something in it what others don't. It might be a unique artstyle (One Punch Man), a diffrent setting (Fairy Tail is quite similiar to One Piece, some characters are copied with minor diffrences) or literally everything else that stands out. Quality ain't even that important, Sword Art Online, Akame ga Kill, K-on! or Re: Zero, all of 'em are enjoyable and gained the popularity for a reason. Some anime just have to be utter sh*t to gain popularity (Mars of Destruction), so basically everything can attract viewers.

Availability is a huge indicator too, I mean, if I'd live in Japan I'd probably spend more time watching anime.

EDIT: titles
Cirno9Jan 3, 2017 2:47 PM
Jan 3, 2017 2:45 PM
Aug 2016
Cirno9 said:
AnimeAddict117 said:

"Some of them" lmao... People forget about the weaknesses those anime have, watch the popular shows with a critical eye and you'll absolutely deteste most shows. When I just think about FTs strengths I won't hesitate to throw a 9 on my rating list and then I see the flaws, the asspulls and the pairings that lead nowhere.

BTT: They gained the popularity for a reason, some people see something in it what others don't. It might be a unique artstyle (One Punch Man), a diffrent setting (FT is quite similiar to OP, some characters are copied with minor diffrences) or literally everything else that stands out. Quality ain't even that important, SOA, Akame ga Kill, K-on! or Re: Zero, all of 'em are enjoyable and gained the popularity for a reason. Some anime just have to be utter sh*t to gain popularity (Mars of Destruction), so basically everything can attract viewers.

Availability is a huge indicator too, I mean, if I'd live in Japan I'd probably spend more time watching anime.
Write the full titles, please. It's frustrating, even though I know the majority.
Jan 3, 2017 7:18 PM

Aug 2015
Pyravia said:
AnimeAddict117 said:
Some of them are also underrated! ^-^

Umm, if it's popular, it's not exactly underrated...

RainyRai said:
Gurren Lagann is just a Kill la Kill ripoff

You may not like Gurren Lagann and that's fine, but how can Gurren Lagann be a rip off of Kill la Kill when Kill la Kill came out 6 years after? If you're gonna shitpost, at least make it less obvious.
SomeEdgeLord said:

I WILL report you from this forum if this continues.
In real life, I am one of the coldest, unsympathetic, people you'll ever know, who's grown up in an even colder household, you really don't want me to break my persona, I know how to make people feel bad.

YearnsforAttention said:
hm who has 1656 friends on MAL
that's right me
bye bye

YearnsforAttention said:
I don't want your approval
how many damn times do I need to say it
I enjoy irritating you
I am gonna do things MY way
Pages (16) « First ... « 13 14 [15] 16 »

More topics from this board

» First look at "THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE WAR OF THE ROHIRRIM" Anime Film. ( 1 2 )

Old_School_Akira - Jun 11

89 by billybub »»
7 minutes ago

» Anime recommandations for a first-timer

WickedFM - 9 hours ago

18 by Memore »»
9 minutes ago

» Anime peaked in 1998 ( 1 2 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 6

97 by BilboBaggins365 »»
26 minutes ago

» Recommendations of Disappointment

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

44 by Lucifrost »»
29 minutes ago

» Who are your favorite silent characters and why?

JaaShooUhh - Yesterday

10 by deg »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.