Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »
Jul 6, 2016 2:35 AM

Nov 2013
All the retarded whining. lol
Lenalee looks the same as in the Manga. What a dumb reason to hate the first episode or saying she sucks now because she has no twintails anymore.
Jul 6, 2016 3:17 AM

Jun 2016
- VAs are quite good but I miss Takahiro Sakurai and new Lavi's voice is just... why?
- Art is better (couldn't recognize Miranda, though)
- Nice opening and ending.
Better than I expected.

I have to admit that I was kinda lost because I forgot a few things from manga. I think it's time to re-read some chapters.
soeyoFeb 18, 2017 10:25 AM
Jul 6, 2016 3:48 AM

Jun 2014
So, I never read the manga, but I loved the anime YEARS ago...

SO i have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I dont remember the original VA's but I can tell these ones dont fit...
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jul 6, 2016 4:18 AM
Oct 2007
Wow.. I must have very high expectation to feel this disappointed. I assume that there will be high budget to mark the return but nope, the quality is far from my expectation.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2016 12:06 PM

May 2015
I enjoyed this first episode, although, the very beginning (intro fight scene) felt rush and somewhat lackluster.

I don’t have a problem with the production values nor the character designs. The color scheme used is a bit colorful if compare to the previous season, but I can deal with that.

Like some of you guys here, I also have mixed feelings about the VA for some of the characters, but it is what it is, so won’t really delve into it at all.

OP song is alright (UVERworld where are you?). ED song is much better though. Both animation sequences are good, especially the one for the OP.

Looking forward the next couple of episodes.

We ultimately fear what spawns from within us ~Shinsekai yori
Music is freedom. ~Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso
Jul 6, 2016 12:47 PM
Mar 2016
LittleStar said:
It hurts...
It hurts so much...
Is kinda amazing how change of seiyuu can be such heartbreaking...
This is such let down...

These isn't these characters I fallen in love! ;(
I knew there will be new seiyuu, but I still have in mind first voices... ;(

Look at the bright side, this only runs for 13 eps.
Jul 6, 2016 1:37 PM

Jan 2010
Really nice opening scene though it was anime only content. The pacing was good overall didn't feel rushed thought hey did put 3 chapters worth of content into this episode. The voice acting was pretty good for the most part nothing really bad imo. This one feels darker than the previous D. Gray-man series which I am very ok with I just hope we get some good comedy scenes in later episodes. OP was good ED was ok. I really like the reintroduction to the characters especially Lavi and the Bookman.

Proud Administrator of the D Gray Man FC and OnePunch-Man FC

Jul 6, 2016 1:59 PM

Aug 2013
The worst thing in it is that there are gonna be only 13 episodes... Seriously? I'm disappointed by that :/
And I also don't remember old seiyuus, I just remember Lavi's voice and that's annoying because his new one is weird...
The rest is perfect for me.
Jul 6, 2016 2:31 PM
Mar 2015
*I'm disappointed that there are going to be only 13 episodes.
*Also, I feel sad because they skipped this moment:

*Jesus, the new voice actors don't fit the old ones at all. I don't recognize any voices.
*THEY DIDN'T CHANGE THE BACKROUND MUSIC. I'M SO HAPPY
*The quality is amazing.

Loved the first episode, can't wait for more. *-*

But I'd suggest reading the manga.
Jul 6, 2016 3:16 PM

Dec 2010
- Animation wise it is sure choppy and budget saving in some portions, but that doesn't bother me too much;

- I like the OST because it's reminiscent of the old anime;

- I hate all the recasts, specially Lavi. This cuts my enjoyment too much, I don't think I'll stand watch any more episodes...
Jul 6, 2016 3:17 PM

Jul 2011
I don't like the voices and I'm not feeling the new character designs yet but hey, IT IS BACK !!!
Jul 6, 2016 4:23 PM

Aug 2014
And it's finally back!

I don't really mind the new voices, they sounded pretty good (the one for Allen is personally my favourite) but the only one I have a problem with is Lavi : terrible, just abosultely terrible.

I'm also digging the new artstyle but once again there's one thing that bugs me and that's Lenalee : what the fuck did they do to your face??

The OP and ED are ok I guess.

Overall good start, one thing that has me worried though is the pacing. Hopefully they won't skip too much.
Jul 6, 2016 5:13 PM
Sep 2015
I know a lot of people are commenting on voice actors and such, but, that didn't really bother me very much. I was kind of bothered about how they just skipped straight to where they did, but I also noticed that Allen's hair is less white than before, and his eyes look different too. It made me super uncomfortable.
Jul 6, 2016 5:59 PM

Jan 2014
Not bad.....
Personally, I don't have problems with new VAs (mainly because I never in love with the old VAs [/s]they're not that good imo[s]) except for Lavi's. His voice acting was all over the place.

Jul 6, 2016 7:24 PM

Oct 2007
What this is going to lead too is a LOT of fans going back and re-watching the original and reminding themselves why they loved it so much!

D.Gray-man has always been one of my favorite anime/mangas but it has suffered far too many breaks. I hope the 13 episode is just a test to see if there's potential to adapt more content. This show and Hitman Reborn both finished abruptly before the manga had even caught up...Decent Reboot but I really do miss the character's old voices and probably won't get over it. Never before did I realize the importance of the VAs in the enjoyment of the show. I'm sure they worked really hard to find a new cast. All things aside, I'm happy to have a sequel that will bring more attention to this great show and new viewers to the old franchise!

#AllenWalker4BestCharacterEver
sspatel_55Jul 6, 2016 7:28 PM
Jul 6, 2016 8:21 PM
Apr 2013
After reading that a new season was coming I re watched the entire series since it had been so long since it aired that I forgot the plot. I watched the new episode right after marathoning the last 13 of the original series.

The first four minutes was agonizing to say the least and in my opinion should never have existed. I get that they were going for fan service scene showing the main characters fighting together but to me all it did was showcase all the worst changes together at the very beginning.

The more I hear it the less I like the new Lavi. It's so different when speaking, it just feels wrong, Yet when fighting and yelling sounds pretty close to the original.

Krowly sounded like Kanda to me in the two lines he spoke and I actually looked away in disgust and missed Lenalee fight. And after hearing Kanda speak I think the knew Krowly sounds more like the old Kanda then the new Kanda. The new Kanda nails the acting but lacks something in his voice when compared to the original. The new Krowly has a very similar voice to the old Konda to me and may have been a better fit.

I wasn't sure that Lenalee was Lenalee. Her voice, face, eyes and hair color are so different I just couldn't see it being her until I saw the anklets. I actually went and looked at the manga art to compare. The original author is the one that changed her face and I don't like it. The new hair color is way too lite, I miss the black with a dark green where the light is suppose hit. When it comes to her voice the new VA is definitely trying to mimic the original but I think I would only be happy if it was the same or a near perfect impersonation. I'll probably have the same problem with Road and the Earl.

Unless they're thinking of the Miranda from the beginning, I'm not sure why people had a hard time recognizing her. She has been gaining weight and confidence since joining and as her confidence grows the black lines around her eyes diminish. I actually think the new VA did a good job mimicking her and dropping most of the sighing/ghostly/depressed tone the original had makes her character feel more natural since she seems to have lost most of the depression and self loathing.

The new look for the Level 3's is just plain pathetic when compared to the dark, detailed and sinister looking ones from the first series. These just feel like cheap generic kids toys. The new colors they use make it look far, far worse than it actually is.

And now my biggest gripe, GET RID OF THE FUCKING YELLOW/GOLD GLOW FOR THE CAPE, IT LOOKS RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!! I can tolerate a glowing aura JUST DON'T MAKE THE CAPE ITSELF GLOW UNLESS ITS PURE WHITE, IF THE CAPE ITSELF MUST GLOW!!!! Crown Clown looked amazing in the first series but this golden glowing cape rubs me wrong more than anything for some reason. I'm to aggravated at the cape to even bother comparing voices.

Opening theme isn't great or bad but I definitely liked the first four themes way better. Not of fan of the new Noah outfits seen in the opening either. I still cant stand the new look of the Level 3's or the yellow cape/cloak.

After the opening theme everything is great except the huge pointy noses whenever they show a side view of the characters and full VA recast.

Love the voice but just way to deep for Bookman to me, hopefully it will grow on me.

Summary

The yellow cloak and new design of the Level 3's looks ridiculous. REVERT AND REPENT!!!!!!

Lenalee no longer looks like Lenalee AT ALL.

Lavi's voice just doesn't fit unless he yells.

Kanda's new VA nails the character but Krowly's new voice sounds more like the original Kanda than the new Kanda and sounds nothing like Krowly at all.

First four minutes wasted to show all main characters fighting some over-sized, over colored, generic toy looking Level 3's.

Opening theme showcasing Noah dressed in white male stripper/Bleach Arrancar looking outfits. More oddly colored but less generic looking Level 3's. And Allen annoyingly looking like Naruto with this new unexplained golden glow in his cape. Seriously I can't stand this glow for some reason, Crown Clown looked great without it.

After the opening theme everything is great and cant really complain except Lavi's voice and Lenalee's new face and hair color. And the giant pointy noses when looked at from the side.
Jul 6, 2016 9:52 PM

Jan 2009
Did they change the seiyuus for some characters? please tell me if you know.
Allen and Lenalee sound a bit different, but Kanda and Bookman are definitely changed.
Jul 6, 2016 10:01 PM

Apr 2012
The recolor on this show! SO MUCH RED!

Goodness, I know it's been a long time, but couldn't they have at least tried to make the animation change from the first season a little less jarring?
Jul 6, 2016 10:16 PM

Dec 2008
I guess that I have to re-read the manga since I kinda forget most of the things that happened in the new anime.

I can get accustomed with Allen's new voice but Lavi.. geez. Please bring back SuzuKen!! Not that I dislike Hanae's but his voice just did not match for Lavi.

Animation was okay but everything seems brighter compare to the old anime. Kinda lost the dark feel of DGM.

Anyway, this is only episode 1. Another 12 more to go before I can fully judge the anime. Hope it will get better.
Jul 7, 2016 12:36 AM

Jan 2010
Don't like the VA's. Even if the VA's before were past their prime, I would have still wanted them. The animation looks weird to me and I didn't recognize that was Miranda before I read the comments lol. Thought it was a new character. Anyway, just thankful this had a second season. Gotta bear with this for now.
Jul 7, 2016 4:47 AM

Jun 2012
Wasn't Allan cloak white and the sword different too? Did it change somewhat from the first anime?
Jul 7, 2016 5:20 AM

Apr 2016
To the people who noticed some framerate drops from time to time in the animation, it was most likely Funimation's fault. I later saw the episode on a site with portuguese subs and it didn't had those drops, so don't worry, it's not on the studio and the next episodes should be fine.
Jul 7, 2016 5:22 AM

Apr 2013
DiabloMask said:
Did they change the seiyuus for some characters? please tell me if you know.
Allen and Lenalee sound a bit different, but Kanda and Bookman are definitely changed.

They all changed.
Jul 7, 2016 6:05 AM
Jul 2016
Mana Walker's VA: Yutaka Aoyama
Yeah, of course...

For now I have no problem with the current VA, especially Allen's. Lenalee's leans on the moe side quite too much though.

The Opening is incredibly nice, except it's not about Alma arc but more like the next arc after that so I really want to know what the hell the studio is planning to do

The ending is pure pain for manga readers. Those anime-only guys are lucky...
Jul 7, 2016 7:45 AM

Oct 2015
many got disappointed with the new casts----glad I'm not the only one who think like that lol (I found Kanda's the only decent one from the main casts)
also...what happen with you, Miranda?? oAO

ItNeverEnds14 said:

The ending is pure pain for manga readers...

haha yes... it's good ; v ; and painful...
Jul 7, 2016 8:29 AM

May 2015
It feel kinda weird and sad to see Lenalee's and Lavi's voices to be changed that much
but nothing to do about that

But seriously ? Miranda ? Is that you ? What did they do to you ?
Jul 7, 2016 8:31 AM

Dec 2015
For the anime-only viewers wondering about Miranda's look.

Chances are, the Studio was trying to get a bit closer to Hoshino's design for the character.

Looking at the episode again, I don't see anything wrong with her.
SilverWolf442Jul 7, 2016 8:34 AM
Jul 7, 2016 10:13 AM

Jun 2013
I liked the older character design for allen and lenalee. This art is great for Miranda but they completely changed her and Krowly since he looks more vampire like. In my opinion it was a horrible 1st episode to reboot the series, but i'm happy we get to see more noah soon.
Jul 7, 2016 10:52 AM

Mar 2015
Having just finished a binge watch of the first season (ep 52-76 were especially good, did that in one sitting, as well as the ending of the Noah's Ark arc). I have to say I enjoyed this first episode. New VA's did a good job even if some are noticeably different, especially Allen, but depending on how it goes I might prefer the slightly deeper voice in the end.

The art style change was a bit jarring at first but as others have pointed out it does seem to match the more recent D.Gray-Man manga style. When the akuma are killed it's quite a bit more graphic too, enjoyed that. ;) I'll have to pick up the manga at some point to catch the arc they skipped, but everyone was packing up to leave at the end of the first season anyways so the start of the 2nd flowed rather well from that point.

Good first episode for the sequel and it's good to see Lenalee growing her hair back out. :D RIP Cross though. :(
Jul 7, 2016 11:04 AM

Aug 2015
I did not like dubbing, the voices are very strange for the characters and the animation is weird, Miranda was completely different... But the OP and ED are very good. I admit I had better expectations for D.Gray Man Hallow.
JalterJul 7, 2016 11:07 AM
Jul 7, 2016 11:33 AM
Sep 2009
firezero10 said:
I realised I have forgotten almost every thing that happened in the previous season. Totally lost now. People complaining about new VA's voice but I can't even remember the old ones.....

I made sure to re-watch the series before hand XD
Jul 7, 2016 12:36 PM

Jul 2010
I'm so glad this is back. However I think the new VA's will take time to get used to as well as the new animation. I can't help but notice that everyone seems to have a really big nose too. ._.;
Jul 7, 2016 3:33 PM
Jul 2016

Oh God, why?
Its all Hoshino's drawing style that changed drastically throughout the series.
Jul 7, 2016 7:12 PM

Oct 2008
Why the hell did they changed the character design of LenaLee!?!? even the VA also changed!? the heck!
At least the adaptation is OK...shame General Cross Marian is now dead...one of the most badass Exorcist General out there!
Allen would be very devastated when he finds this out for sure!
5/5.

Jul 7, 2016 7:34 PM

Oct 2013
Need some time to get use to Allen new voice. Also lenalee doesn't look as cute as the lenalee in the first season. Also the soundtrack is a bit weak. Overall great episode.
Jul 8, 2016 1:46 AM

Jul 2016
Was impressed. Very clean look and great start to the series.

Well done.
Jul 8, 2016 5:19 AM
Mar 2015
Loved the op and ed. They skipped the Destruction of the Black Order arc but that's no real biggie considering the anime is only 13 eps long. The ed was especially good since it featured more Alma Karma (before and after) and Kanda (child and current).

My only complaint is Miranda.... They butchered her completely. She looks 'moe' and no longer has eyebags as well as her hair is no longer dark brown and instead lighter in colour. Plus her voice doesn't match her character design AT ALL T-T

I will get used to Lenaalee and Bookman but the animation seemed a bit weird to me at some instances..? Like Allen's eyes looked slightly bigger than they should be at times but oh well, everything besides Miranda is acceptable.

P.S; Link is bae as usual both in the op and ep ;3 And I can't get over how Lavi looks so hot in the new animation ;P
“Ignorance breeds fear, but the converse may be true, too. To know can also breed fear from within.” - Rufus Barma
Jul 8, 2016 6:55 AM
Jul 2016
For people who complain about the design changes so much: They just followed the manga, including Allen's Crown Clown, Kanda's Mugen, Miranda, Lenalee, etc
Also, in the manga, Allen's eyes were colored with purple, not silver.

The studio just did what they have to do to make an adaption
Jul 8, 2016 8:28 AM

Aug 2012
I don't mind most of the new voice actors, even though I have a bit of a problem with Kanda's but... KRORY'S!! IT'S JUST, SO WEIRD...
Jul 8, 2016 4:37 PM
Aug 2014
What a disappointment... character design and animation are just bad... so freaking bad. Why colours are so bland? Why this anime looks worse than previous adaptation from 2006-2008? Not to even mention new voices...
Jul 8, 2016 7:08 PM
Mar 2015
Rebelhero said:
So, I never read the manga, but I loved the anime YEARS ago...

SO i have no idea what the fuck is going on.

I dont remember the original VA's but I can tell these ones dont fit...

I also Feels the same TT_TT
Jul 8, 2016 7:28 PM

Apr 2009
Woah, this almost flew past my radar if I wasn't checking up my old downloads yesterday. XD I can't believe Allen is back after almost a decade from the last...and he brought Hitler with him. LOL Our protagonist seems to have grown, it's been so long and I feel like that old Bookman geezer already, I think I'm talking from nostalgia and all that crap. Oh well, no use complaining now.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jul 8, 2016 11:23 PM

Apr 2013
jaqqu7 said:
What a disappointment... character design and animation are just bad... so freaking bad. Why colours are so bland? Why this anime looks worse than previous adaptation from 2006-2008? Not to even mention new voices...

His first comment since 2014.
Just to tell us how bad the 1st episode was.

Hue.

Seriously though this feels so freaking forced. I probably won't be watching the rest of the season.
Jul 9, 2016 1:07 AM
Jun 2014
Everything is fine from animation fluency to story pacing but man, I'm not used to the new seiyuus for a good chuck of the chacters. E.g. Lavi. As much as I like Hanae Natsuki, I'm too used to Suzumura Kenichi voicing Lavi.
Jul 9, 2016 4:24 AM

Apr 2015
THE SHOW IS FINALLY BACKKK
Although the new voices are a little weird..allen's and bookman's fit quite nicely(although I do miss allen's old VA a little..)
Lenalee's was rather okay to me..I would even say i might prefer it over the old one HAHA
The rest except a few..especially Lavi..oh boy I definitely prefer their old VAs..

And they changed the artstyle,which is amazing.I always preferred how they looked in the manga ever since the show ended.And especially right now with Hoshino's return..WOOH
Jul 9, 2016 4:52 AM

Jul 2013
Having mixed feelings about the first episode. D.Gray-Man was by far my favourite shounen series back when I started to watch anime and I was madly in love with Lavi and this former VA.

Somehow, i wished this first episode would have been more like a filler episode, to remind the audience who is who and what happened shortly before the first series ended. I was so confused about that Mana talk with Allen and his Master, so I've watched some 8 year old AMVs on Youtube again to get at least some of the memories back.

About the coloring... well. I liked the grey-ish and dark style of the first series more. The Akuma are way too colorful and the skin tones are a bit weird. Also, Lenalee's eyes look a bit ugly compared to before - she looks younger and childish. The gore was still good.

Lavi's new voice is the thing that bothers me the most though. I won't get used to it anytime soon.

3/5 for the first episode, hope it gets better and doesn't rush things too much.
Jul 9, 2016 6:35 AM

Dec 2015
Gotta say the anime team is good at killing a mood.

Allen and Cross' hug was much better in the manga.

I hate how 2 of Cross' lines got left out during his hug with Allen. I think both of them were important, and with them omitted really diminishes the scene.

Cross hugs Allen, and says the 14th should have chosen a good-for-nothing as his host. Then he wonders if you always have to sacrifice something to protect something else. Finally, he realizes and admits he can’t make fun of Tiedoll anymore.

The anime completely took both of these lines out. To make room for the filler they wanted to put in -probably.

We have Cross hug Allen, and mention how Neah should have chosen someone else for his host.

Then it skips the line about sacrifice and Tiedool, and goes straight to him dropping the bomb that Allen is going to kill someone.

And in the manga, it was a more unsure statement. In the anime, it's just harshly blurted out.

That completely ruins the mood,, imo. And it takes away the depth of Cross’ remorse and his realization.

I thought this scene moved a bit fast. Then it suddenly clicked why it felt so fast and not as emotional. I figured it was just because the scene was animated, thus moving. But nope. It struck me the 2 lines they left out right in the middle.

Cross' message was also cut off. But I reserve judgement, as it seemed like all of it may be heard next episode.
SilverWolf442Jul 9, 2016 8:32 AM
Jul 9, 2016 9:00 AM
Jul 2016
^Wait for the BD
And in the manga, it was a more unsure statement. In the anime, it's just harshly blurted out.

It's just that harshly blurted out in the manga, with spread page and all. And it's not unsure statement because [huge manga spoiler] and Cross knows about it perfectly

It seems they want to focus more in shock value, which is not a really good idea.
Jul 9, 2016 9:08 AM

Dec 2015
ItNeverEnds14 said:
^Wait for the BD

It's just that harshly blurted out in the manga, with spread page and all. And it's not unsure statement because [huge manga spoiler] and Cross knows about it perfectly

It seems they want to focus more in shock value, which is not a really good idea.

Idk what BD is. lol

In the manga, he asks what Allen would do if he were to tell him he'll kill people he loves. He asking a question in the revelation.

Rather than the anime's "You're gonna kill someone." Slightly different. "Unsure" may not be the best term. But a subtle difference in tone there making it seem more harsh / less emotional.

Unless the manga was translated incorrectly and the anime fixed it.
SilverWolf442Jul 9, 2016 9:17 AM
Jul 9, 2016 9:56 AM

Aug 2011
Lenalee's too hot for her own good! I can't get used to the different voice actors for this sequel.
Pages (8) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2016

131 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:05 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2016

64 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 1:12 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 29, 2016

82 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:26 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 22, 2016

71 by iamnameers »»
Dec 22, 2023 12:06 PM

Poll: » D.Gray-man Hallow Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jul 18, 2016

79 by Choostopher »»
Nov 6, 2023 10:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.