Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Bungo Stray Dogs
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 21, 2016 2:20 AM

Aug 2012
Damn nice save Dazai-san. I've already guessed that he's from the same group as Akutagawa, judging from how much he knew about him, and how Akutagawa seems buddy-buddy with Dazai.
And how Junichirou's Light Snow is not meant for battle..!?? It's quite deadly if I must say ╮(╯▽╰)╭

Gotta love Naomi this episode. Although I'm still not used to her voice. Blonde was hot too XD
Apr 21, 2016 2:41 AM

Jan 2015
Damn wasn't expecting that turn of events at all, was thinking there would be more buildup, regardless I thoroughly enjoyed this episode.

I just really hope the siblings stay dead, or at least the sister so we can have some sort of death factor, no need for a story to tease death yet back out immediately.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Apr 21, 2016 3:23 AM
Jul 2018
@Wintovisky I have the anime adaptation of Usagi Drop in my favorites, not the manga. And yes, I love NGNL and am not unaware of the brother-sister complex in that--I still don't like it in that, but it wasn't overly distracting--but this episode of Bungou Stray Dogs was getting a bit crazy at times, like when it literally looked like Naomi was giving Junichirou head in the restaurant.
Apr 21, 2016 4:11 AM
Jul 2018
Much better than the previous 2 eps. But suddenly switching from a comedy to brutality, disturbed me. It wasn't a nice compatibility of two different things this time tho.

Incest moments were ew & unbearable.
Also, Kunikida & Dazai behind the door sounded like a hardcore gay S&M. Smh.

More awkward camera positions:

Don't tell me someone who worked on Grimgar last season came to BSD. "All the love for the booty". Horny dude.

And yah. Dazai being an ex-Port Mafia member was a bit of surprise for me; no wonder Atsushi couldn't guess. But sounds cool.
Apr 21, 2016 4:45 AM

Sep 2015
Did NOT expect bloodshed mafia and dismemberment when I started watching this show. Loved that light snow ability, and poor, poor Atsushi. Can't catch a break.
Dazai provided good comedy at the start as usual. Like how this is getting darker by the episode. 5/5
Apr 21, 2016 4:49 AM

Dec 2014
That was a really good episode.

Thought it was gonna be a lighthearted episode in the beginning but damn, It got intense real fast.

Totally did not expect to see all that blood.
Atsushi is actually a lot stronger than I imagined in the Tiger form.

I feel Naomi's voice doesn't suit her.

Akutagawa seems like a pretty interesting villain.
Dazai was pretty cool stopping the fight, Didn't expect him to be an ex Port Mafia member.

Can't wait for the next episode.
Apr 21, 2016 5:30 AM

Jul 2007
Oh wow, they actually went there and referenced Dazai's double suicide attempt, the one which left him alive and his lover dead. I wonder if something like that will happen in-show or maybe in his backstory?

And of course there would be Akutagawa - one of THE Most well known japanese authors for westerners, due to Akira Kurosawa having adapting his Rashomon short stories into a movie(and then latter an opera of same name having been made) and there's even ballet written in europe based on one of his short stories. His name remains in Akutagawa's Literary award that was established by his friend in hopes of honoring his memory - the said award is basically the top level of achievement for any up and coming author in Japan, pretty much rocketing them into fame. And of course Akutagawa seems to be ill considering the coughing, which is a reference to his last days when he was plagued by various illnesses suffering from a mental disorder and ended up taking his own life.

And of course Tanizaki and his sister are fucked up people considering his works always had some sort of S&M or erotic vibe. Its interesting that his sister is named after his book Naomi - which was basically about a dude obsessed with raising a perfect modern western wife for himself, however in the end the said girl he raised, ends up overtaking his life and money. So obviously we have his sister Naomi display something hinting towards that in their walk towards the alley where she ends up being the one in control and the overall dynamic between them being her being the enabler and the one in control most of the time.

Holy shit this show is so fascinating for anyone who paid any attention to Japanese literature. Easily one of the best shows this season.
AhenshihaelApr 21, 2016 5:34 AM
Apr 21, 2016 5:31 AM
Sep 2014
Mascera said:
Just how lewd Naomi can "go" for his beloved brother? I know he's got some brother-conflict stuff. But even Junichirou must be realized at this point, even when he can't resist it either. But WOW, to go that "far", Naomi surely love his brother very much.
He APPEAR!!! He finally appear. I've been curious about him ever since seeing that OP, ED for 1st episode though.

I even already make his GIF. I guess I already become like Naomi toward this Akutagawa person. LOL

He actually showed up in the stinger of episode 2, right at the end. Along with Higuchi.
Apr 21, 2016 6:09 AM

Apr 2013
That was a superb episode, that Dazai save at the end. Loving the character references with the Japanese authors~ Music again is on-point and Akutagawa was introduced pretty well. Interesting ending with Dazai being an ex-mafia member, and it's nice that it interlinks back with the comedy bits at the start which was subtly foreshadowing and leading onto this.

Fai said:
Holy shit this show is so fascinating for anyone who paid any attention to Japanese literature. Easily one of the best shows this season.

Definitely agree, being able to understand the references of the Japanese authors and their literature works makes this show even better and makes me appreciate it even more - certainly one of the best shows this season defs.
Apr 21, 2016 6:27 AM
Jul 2015
Wow this anime went dark fast. Caught me off guard. I hope the brother doesn't die but the sister can gtfo

good episode as usual
Apr 21, 2016 6:28 AM

Jan 2015
fatalystic said:
Mascera said:
Just how lewd Naomi can "go" for his beloved brother? I know he's got some brother-conflict stuff. But even Junichirou must be realized at this point, even when he can't resist it either. But WOW, to go that "far", Naomi surely love his brother very much.
He APPEAR!!! He finally appear. I've been curious about him ever since seeing that OP, ED for 1st episode though.

I even already make his GIF. I guess I already become like Naomi toward this Akutagawa person. LOL

He actually showed up in the stinger of episode 2, right at the end. Along with Higuchi.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it he really did appear with Higuchi in episode 2. Guess I've missed it earlier because I stop the video once the ED play. And didn't really watch "stinger" either. I pretty much watch it because either it's before the ED or I got carried by the ED. because it feels like a "spoiler" that decreasing the excitement for thinking about what will happen in the next episode. But still, thank you for the info.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Mascera&sclick=1]convert gambar online
Apr 21, 2016 7:01 AM

Sep 2014
Best episode so far. But that doesn't say much. It was typical, especially with the decent at best action scenes. Till now it's still an average Anime, though thankfully not bad.
Apr 21, 2016 7:07 AM

Aug 2015
Dazai is my husbando

Apr 21, 2016 9:50 AM

Dec 2009
the reveal of dazai s past didnt really surprise me but i still like that 'twist'.
i liked the comedy tbh, it didnt feel like out of place at all, and like someone said it might be the combination of comedy & dark scenes which makes this anime outstanding? anyway i enjoyed this episode a lot, especially the scene when "Ningen shikkaku" appeared on the screen and Dazai came inbetween them and stopped them.
I believe in karma what you give is what you get returned~ ♫
Apr 21, 2016 10:08 AM

Oct 2014
neko_cola said:
thebrentinator24 said:
I honestly wouldn't care if Naomi dies. I personally find her to be annoying as fuck, and the whole incest thing always pisses me off when I see it in any anime.

Not gonna lie, even taking all those bullets I really wasn't caring for her neither. Those kinds of characters are so useless.

~
But wow, seems things are turning grim now, and I like it a lot. Also I don't know but I'm getting the impression that Dazai isn't so much of a nice guy, specially after the revelation at the end. He must have quite a past behind him.

They didn't give us enough time to really build a connection with the characters yet, I don't think. Characters like her are uncomfortable to me, but not annoying. I was shocked when she was shot but it kind of felt like if any other character was shot. If this happened say two episodes later or so it might have been a different story for me.

---

Which brings me back on topic, this reminded me of Akame ga Kill. Like, it went from 0 to 100 very quickly. I was not expecting that at all. O_O The action did lack a bit of tension for me, but it was very shocking. Like, I wasn't expecting the MC to legitimately lose his leg like that. Geez...
Apr 21, 2016 10:46 AM

Jun 2013
holy shit that was fucking amazing so it has blood and death awesome
Apr 21, 2016 11:02 AM

Jan 2008
I was expecting this anime to go sort of like Kekkai Sensen, with jokes all around and slow build up to something while doing episodic shanenigans. A solid action comedy.

But whoa, did this episode take a turn to dark. AND I FUCKING LOVED IT! 10/10
Apr 21, 2016 11:08 AM

Oct 2014
The poorly written dialogue and story is cringe worthy.
Naomi is annoying as hell, as well as the "comedy".
The scenes with the Tanizaki siblings were hard to bear.
crestofhonestyApr 21, 2016 11:16 AM
Apr 21, 2016 11:29 AM
Apr 2016
Delicious incest is delicious.

Wow.. pretty gory episode. It went to funny and kinky to blood everywhere
Apr 21, 2016 12:09 PM
Apr 2016
Not sure why so many people are so critical of this show overall? It's not like any of the episodes so far have been really bad lmao. Though I do love that everyone's like "Stay away from Akutagawa" like the opening doesn't show him battling www
Apr 21, 2016 12:10 PM

Mar 2011
Fai said:
Oh wow, they actually went there and referenced Dazai's double suicide attempt, the one which left him alive and his lover dead. I wonder if something like that will happen in-show or maybe in his backstory?

And of course there would be Akutagawa - one of THE Most well known japanese authors for westerners, due to Akira Kurosawa having adapting his Rashomon short stories into a movie(and then latter an opera of same name having been made) and there's even ballet written in europe based on one of his short stories. His name remains in Akutagawa's Literary award that was established by his friend in hopes of honoring his memory - the said award is basically the top level of achievement for any up and coming author in Japan, pretty much rocketing them into fame. And of course Akutagawa seems to be ill considering the coughing, which is a reference to his last days when he was plagued by various illnesses suffering from a mental disorder and ended up taking his own life.

And of course Tanizaki and his sister are fucked up people considering his works always had some sort of S&M or erotic vibe. Its interesting that his sister is named after his book Naomi - which was basically about a dude obsessed with raising a perfect modern western wife for himself, however in the end the said girl he raised, ends up overtaking his life and money. So obviously we have his sister Naomi display something hinting towards that in their walk towards the alley where she ends up being the one in control and the overall dynamic between them being her being the enabler and the one in control most of the time.

Well, Fai, as knowledgeable as always on a lot of things, you never disappoint. I take it that you're of a curious nature.
And yeah, there is a lot of references and some of them are more or less well-hidden; in Dazai's profile from the manga in the first chapters, among his "like/dislike" there is sake. If you read/watched Ningen ningen shikkaku, you should quite easily remember why.
The only "problem" is that sometimes the references are soo obscure that even if they exist, they're really hard to find (not for now; for now it's easy enough; but some characters later in the manga went over my head ability-wise because it wasn't quite as obvious if you're not a big encyclopedia about the author. Then again the non-obvious part is also a part of what makes it interesting; you end up learning a lot of things googling afterward.

ptsdgregor said:
Not sure why so many people are so critical of this show overall? It's not like any of the episodes so far have been really bad lmao. Though I do love that everyone's like "Stay away from Akutagawa" like the opening doesn't show him battling www

Because like steins;gate all of the plot must be crystal clear and absolutely fascinating after only one episode. People were complaining about the plot after ONE episode; that's not even the end of the introduction in the narrative structure; that was probably at the end of ep2 with ep3 certainly being the trigger, at the very least for the first part.

And the part I find funny is the "RUN AWAY FROM AKUTAGAWA" in-universe...... And then meta-wise pretty much everyone want to marry him. Oh. The. Irony.
willardhwrightApr 21, 2016 12:19 PM
Apr 21, 2016 12:15 PM

Oct 2015
Seeing Rashomon animated is so satisfying, same with Light Snow.

I hate the incest so much, more than I did in the manga, why is this a troupe?

Dazai is pretty and perfect in every shot, main budget use confirmed.
Apr 21, 2016 12:21 PM

Mar 2011
Tsukkimaru said:

I would totally watch an harem anime with him as the MC.

(.........Given how Dazai is, it would probably just be him faking stupidity and making fun of pretty much everyone he meets, whih would be awesome. This character just has SO much potential in SO many different possible scenarios.)
Apr 21, 2016 12:49 PM

Feb 2015
Wow, that got dark really quickly, but it's still amazing. I really like the light snow ability, my favourite ability so far.
Apr 21, 2016 1:48 PM

Mar 2014
thebrentinator24 said:
I honestly wouldn't care if Naomi dies. I personally find her to be annoying as fuck, and the whole incest thing always pisses me off when I see it in any anime. I'm kind of hoping Junichirou survives though, but unfortunately, I can tell it's either going to be both die, or neither of them die.

My thoughts exactly. I hope she dies cos I really like the show so far but the incest crap could easily ruin it.
Apr 21, 2016 2:22 PM

Apr 2014
Finally saw some action from Atsushi in his tiger form.
Still waiting for Kyouka to show up.
Apr 21, 2016 2:26 PM

Jul 2015
How the fuck were they still alive at the end? That woman unloaded two full cartridges of two fucking Uzis on that girl!

Apr 21, 2016 3:49 PM

May 2014
Yo why'd he stop the weretiger too? He could've just had him kill the port mafia on the spot.
Apr 21, 2016 4:37 PM

Apr 2014
lezerman said:
It was better than last week.
Darker and with more action, though i can't take some actions seriously because of some characters, the dialogue and the story overall is not well written, but the direction of the series make it much more interesting than the normal.

So overall, nothing great or memorable, but good series, at least at this point.

Not that its not well written, it just isn't anything too new. Really cool so far, though.
Apr 21, 2016 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
Well im just going to label people in roles from MAFIA now. and wow things gotten dark.

Some random bad guys? ... Ok.

Girl be like: yap yap yap port mafia is so good... guess mc is in some deep trouble
removed-userApr 21, 2016 6:05 PM
Apr 21, 2016 5:28 PM
Oct 2011
Tokoya said:
This episode went from 0-100 REAL QUICK O_O

Just when I was questioning my life after seeing the "siblings" act the way they do, this shit goes and happen lol.....My god this Akutagawa guy is a fucking monster

The comedy worked great as usual imo but man the action scenes in this one were amazing....But man I didn't expect to see all of this blood, gore and death too...BRUH

This episode was too freaking awesome, and that reveal about Dazai being an ex-mafia member as well as this bounty on the MC has peaked my interest and now I'm fucking HOOKED on this series

I need the next episode ASAP because this legit reminded me of Baccano which I LOVEEEE

Yeah, this show is one of those that's probably just going to keep getting better. You can tell things are going to keep ramping up, one of my favorite things about 2 cour shows, they can really dig in.

I also think that those who don't love the comedy shouldn't necessarily give up on it if they like other parts of it because it seems clear it's one of those types of shows where the balance is going to even out if not in fact get mostly serious as it goes.
Apr 21, 2016 8:11 PM

Aug 2013
Yeah, I expected Dazai to have somekind of criminal past. Especially since everyone were unable to guess his previous occupation.

They sure put a lot of pressure on the poor kid. A few days from now, he didn't even knew he had a power.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 21, 2016 9:47 PM

May 2011
It would be kind of a dick move by Dazai and the Agency if Naomi and Junichirou are dead.

Dazai and Kunikida knew full well it was a trap from the onset. That's why they bugged her. Then they sent their most inexperienced agents to go with the "client" alone?

I can understand that people wouldn't mind the side characters and their role-playing incest gimmick would go away.

But, to me. It would stink to see them dead from an obvious setup. That a "detective" agency would actually fall for that or let their agents be cannon fodder just for a fucked up reason, like unleashing the protagonist "weretiger" powers. I'd actually question that agency as it would be a turn off to see them go full sociopath.
CirrisApr 21, 2016 10:17 PM
Apr 21, 2016 10:47 PM

Apr 2009
Episode was kinda cool at the end there. Bad guy showcasing his powers already and Dazai's power seemingly being OP. I do hate the anime trope where they have to explain their powers while they using 'em. I can transform into snowflakes and you'll never locate me! Okay, you're about to kill this girl, you really need to tell her how your power works?
Apr 21, 2016 11:41 PM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Fai said:

It's post like these that makes me see that you're not as annoying as you try and make me and others believe you are sometimes

Reading this kinda made me feel your excitement and it made me smile....Whoever is writing this series is definitely doing a great job
Apr 22, 2016 2:45 AM

Aug 2012
Tsukkimaru said:

Look up the definition of incest...
.................................................................................
Apr 22, 2016 3:03 AM

Dec 2012
Akutagawa is male O_OO_OO_OO_OO_OO_OO_OO_OO_O Seriously, I thought he was a chick till he started talking and I'm like :O what? Welp, couldn't have guessed Dazai's past since he seems a bit too nice and goofy to me but we'll see about it.
allo
Apr 22, 2016 4:52 AM

Jul 2009
Dazai is so cute and also hella OP. Loving him so far.
Apr 22, 2016 5:30 AM

Jun 2013
Brocon Naomi got slayed, literally. However, I'm almost a hundred percent sure those two will be okay. I don't care much for her and it looked like she was blowing her brother while she smothered him on the couch. I'm not feeling their incest chemistry and their comedy is flatter than Miley Cyrus' ass.

Dazai reminds me of a dark-haired version of Tamaki Suoh of Ouran HS Host Club (and so does the blonde uncle in Shounen Maid).

None of their powers are exciting as of yet, I'm hoping to see something unique in the episodes to come.
臭い-
Apr 22, 2016 5:37 AM
May 2014
I really don't like the comedy. Didn't really liked the previous episodes and watched this one just because there was nothing else yet. Was about to stop watching half episode, after the mission was given. Thinking something like "yeah, an agency, missions, and no real plot... I'll drop this one for sure..."

And then they decided to give us a real show. And now I want to see next episode because it went pretty good.
Apr 22, 2016 8:29 AM

Oct 2015
Romedbaumann said:
Tsukkimaru said:

I know what incest is... Naomi and Junichirou can be suggested as incestuous (since there's evidence they have a sexual relationship)
Apr 22, 2016 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
Episode that raises even more the start is not exciting, for me. Storytelling quite interesting and fun, perhaps the only flaw is the combat, whose pace is a bit slow, otherwise there are no problems. Drawings and animations, very good standard, more and more lovable characters. The opening starts to like it, good soundtrack.
Apr 22, 2016 9:00 AM

Aug 2012
Tsukkimaru said:
Romedbaumann said:

I know what incest is... Naomi and Junichirou can be suggested as incestuous (since there's evidence they have a sexual relationship)

Them having a sexual relationship is highly unlikely.
.................................................................................
Apr 22, 2016 9:23 AM

Oct 2015
Romedbaumann said:
Tsukkimaru said:

Them having a sexual relationship is highly unlikely.

Doesn't stop the fact there have been moments where Naomi has spoken of the 'things' she has done to her brother, and that the groping and suggestive comments aren't there. These all point to incest, of course we're not going to physically see them have sex, but that doesn't mean it's not incestuous.
Apr 22, 2016 9:32 AM
Mar 2012
oww that turn to violence.
Dazai still funny & mysterious in many ways, charming towards maid?
High level incest there.
Matrix bro
Roshamon guy appears.
Atsushi breaks a leg.
Tiger x Dragon
Bones animation budget wow
Regenerate so fast lol, but seems Atsushi falls asleep after transforming, quite a disadvantage.
Apr 22, 2016 10:54 AM
Mar 2016
Oh so Dazai used to be one of them port mafia, i'd wish that evil lady got devoured by
that weretiger.
Apr 22, 2016 10:55 AM

Mar 2014
HOLY SHIT DAZAI IS A FORMER MAFIA MEMBER THAT PLOT TWIST... Except that I saw it coming the moment they brought up that they don't know anything about his former profession. That was extremely predictable, just like the "MC turning out to be the evil tiger!!" plot twist. Hopefully it'll become less foreseeable in the future because I actually like this show

Also, I really hope that stupid imouto bitch died, she's ruining the whole show
Nico- said:
@Comic_Sans oh no y arnt ppl dieing i need more ppl dieing rly gud plot avansement jus liek tokyo ghoul if erbudy dies amirite
Conversations with people pinging/quoting me to argue about some old post I wrote years ago will not be entertained
Apr 22, 2016 12:46 PM

Oct 2015
It started off pretty boring but then it got darker.

I will watch the next episode.
Apr 22, 2016 1:20 PM

May 2015
Aside from the shitty comedy, the serious tone the episode took was rock solid. I hope to see more of that and less shitty comedy. 7 billion yen though, and ex-Port Mafia? Damn.

Apr 22, 2016 4:28 PM
Aug 2015
lol I can't imagine Dazai as an ex-mafia member! I hope they show him in his mafia days though :3
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 8, 2016

160 by ArreolaAn9el »»
Jun 18, 3:51 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 4, 2016

191 by Yasminaa »»
Jun 18, 9:00 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 11, 2016

125 by RGreatDanton »»
Jun 16, 4:34 AM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2016

369 by Lord-Commissar »»
Jun 8, 5:04 PM

Poll: » Bungou Stray Dogs Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Apr 13, 2016

244 by gladiusm »»
May 13, 7:45 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.