Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jan 9, 2016 1:14 PM

Oct 2013
Average first episode. Hopefully it improves.
Jan 9, 2016 1:19 PM

May 2011
I hate rappies (the big eyed ones) and hate that they used them in the レアドロ KOI 恋! ending song.
Jan 9, 2016 1:31 PM
Jan 2009
Some things I noticed.

The start of the anime was overly dark animated and seemed a rather pointless introduction, wasn't even interesting to see.

The opening song was pretty bad, aka skippable. (ed was dumb too, actually)

The main boy didn't even look back when a group of girls in 'gym clothes?' were jogging past him. ... ... ... WEIRD!
And yeah, his name was rather forgettable... as in, I forgot.

The boy with glasses on the student council was constantly holding his glasses while walking ... as if constantly adjusting it, rofl.

The student council president is supposedly the most beautiful, but all the girls more or less looked the same to me. She didn't look that much better than any of the background girls.
Apparently she's good at everything, which is overly cliche for all student council presidents in anime.

I did like that they didn't forcibly turn the game into a 'real life' situation, but that it's still an online game you're playing. Yet, well ... it did seem a bit silly to think PSO2 is 'the' game to play for the online community. But I'll forgive that considering this anime is suppose to go about just pso2.

And no, I never played PSO2 and I doubt this anime will make me try it either. I may watch a few more eps to see if it's amusing to watch at least.
But this first episode didn't leave much of an impression on me, nor did I overly hate it... so ... I'll give it a 3 score.
VlaegheJan 9, 2016 1:34 PM
Jan 9, 2016 1:58 PM
Jan 2016
Anyone know what was that instrumental song after the op uno where he is on his way to school
Jan 9, 2016 2:34 PM

Sep 2012
It's better than what I was expecting, I'll give them that, but that's not saying much.
All the characters are really forgettable.
President is super generic. And all of her fanboys/girls in the student council are unnecessarily hostile to the main dude. Like what the fuck is biting their ass?
Main dude is super boring.

I'd probably forget about this anime each time an episode airs if it wasn't for always having the CR schedule open in my browser, tbh. If PSO2 wasn't IP blocked for NA, then I'd have probably played it at some point. Too bad it's 2016 and it's still IP Blocked (I don't do the VPN stuff and all that).
Friends are there to lend a hand when you can’t do something on your own. It’s not one person doing all the work protecting everyone, we help each other when in need. That’s what friends are for.
Jan 9, 2016 2:43 PM

Sep 2007
AthrunZ29 said:
If PSO2 wasn't IP blocked for NA, then I'd have probably played it at some point. Too bad it's 2016 and it's still IP Blocked (I don't do the VPN stuff and all that).

It's not and an IP Block has never been in effect (unless you're from SEA, where you're pretty much forced to play the SEA version, unless you, obviously, use the proxy, like 95% of the SEA players do) but doesn't seem like you even bothered to check your info. :p
Jan 9, 2016 2:46 PM

Jun 2013
the CG is not that bad dat ED doe
Jan 9, 2016 2:53 PM
Mar 2008
there a lot of hints this will be the pre-episode 4 in game. hope it will turn out that way.
Jan 9, 2016 3:19 PM

Mar 2008
ezodagrom said:
dreadknightnero said:
EDIT: That ED song...I don't even know how to describe it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0UvkJCH90I#t=5m28s

ShadowAlex said:
It wasn't awful but it is already teetering down into SAO territory with the BS One-Shot-Kill he pulls off in the end.

In the game itself, that enemy they were fighting was pretty much just a grunt enemy.

Grunt enemy nothing, no RPG has a basic enemy you are going to one-shot at level one with no advance skills and basic starter weaponry. I haven't played PSO II so maybe it's different but in PSO I it takes a good amount of whacks to take down the most basic enemies at the start.
My Channel Anime Reviews, Unboxings and More
Drak Shadow For LetsPlays and Movie Vlogs
Jan 9, 2016 3:40 PM

Jun 2015
Honestly, I wasn't disappointed after watching this... Maybe that's just because my expectations weren't very high and I didn't play the game.

The MC reminds me of the guy from 'Tower of Druaga' somehow. He does seem to have a modicum of depth though. The intro fight scene was rather bad and almost made me insta-drop the series as it reminded me of 'God Eater' for some reason. (swords turning to guns and game adaptation probably)
I don't fancy those student council stories too much, but the story does appear to be heading in a different direction than most similar series.

Not too sure why people are hating on animation and art so much, but I guess that's just related to taste and personal preferences.

I guess I'll give it a chance for now, although it won't be anywhere near AotS.

Edit: and yes, the ED is terrible.
Jan 9, 2016 3:46 PM

Jul 2015
Pretty alright start so far. I like the feeling it gives off!
Jan 9, 2016 4:53 PM

Apr 2014
Advertisement: The anime

Jan 9, 2016 5:04 PM
Jan 2009
As soon as I found out this was going to be about people playing PSO2 rather than it being set entirely in the game world, I knew it wasn't going to be so great. First episode confirmed my thoughts. I'm only going to keep watching for the in-game sequences.

I've been waiting around 15 years for PSO to get an anime....and now I'm just going to hope I get more PSO merch out of this obvious cash-in. XD
Jan 9, 2016 5:34 PM

May 2008
Elmeit said:
Advertisement: The anime

I was just about to post that, word for word! The product placement is strong with this animu.
fmiu
Jan 9, 2016 5:59 PM

Mar 2008
Seriously wtf was this? I was expecting something decent but this was full of cliches and cringe worthy. It is amazing how many cliches they managed to put into just one episode and have such nonsensical story.
Jan 9, 2016 6:00 PM

Nov 2009
ShadowAlex said:
Grunt enemy nothing, no RPG has a basic enemy you are going to one-shot at level one with no advance skills and basic starter weaponry. I haven't played PSO II so maybe it's different but in PSO I it takes a good amount of whacks to take down the most basic enemies at the start.

Fine, a lvl 1 char using the basic weapon and the same attack that he used takes 4 headshots to beat it. :|

Anyway, can't apply game logic to the anime, comparing the situation to the actual game, the weapon he's using is not even a default one, while it's still a rather early weapon, a lvl 1 char doesn't have the stats to equip it. The attack that he used is also not a default one.
Jan 9, 2016 6:15 PM

Jun 2012
ShadowAlex said:
ezodagrom said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0UvkJCH90I#t=5m28s

In the game itself, that enemy they were fighting was pretty much just a grunt enemy.

The concept of enemy weak points exists in the actual game. Even at level 1 it is quite possible to one-shot most things in the lowest difficulty mission with the most basic Photon Arts/Technics and weapons. Besides the guy did took a couple of shots at the enemy and finished it off with a charged Aiming Shot right in the head.
Jan 9, 2016 6:20 PM
Jun 2010
The irony that MC's friends fell asleep(the talk about autotrack) during the game and this is supposed to advertise it...
Jan 9, 2016 6:37 PM

Aug 2015
My thoughts on this anime? Promising!

The main character looks like Yūichirō from Owari No Seraph...well...uh okay? He is enthusiastic while in the game. Gives him a bit of an identity. He has some friends and all of the sudden he is part of the council. Jesus. But playing a game to keep an eye on students? Haven't they heard of face book? Oh well, the protagonist seems fine so far.

Best part of this anime is the robot guy. DEAR GOD I already like his design and that dance in the ending credits. So far he is the best character. No doubt about it.

I like how the game looks so far judging by the opening. So yeah! I will give it that too.

...Okay time for the bad part. The Mary Sue of the President of the Student council. Her flawlessness already bothers me. Seriously, THAT many fields she is perfect at??? There is nothing more boring than a boring perfect character that doesn't even have anything fun to go about. If you are gonna be a Mary Sue and be a fun interesting character, look at Medaka or Haruhi as an example.

Everything else plays it safe so I can't wait for the next episode!
"I -AM- ELECTRICITY." -Gunvolt
Jan 9, 2016 7:08 PM

Jan 2008
Had to skim through because the episode was way to much of a bore then when they finally played it was all CGI'd. Oh god. Probably just give it another episode.
Jan 9, 2016 7:23 PM

Jul 2015
Will watch because of dancing robot ED

Jan 9, 2016 7:58 PM

Jun 2015
...There is no way choosing your username can go this smoothly in an online game!
and he sets his character customization to random ...but somehow gets something that looks exactly like him...
wait! why aren't people sitting in 1 clustered area near the ship entrance?!
...and did i just see sonic in there?
Jan 9, 2016 8:39 PM
Oct 2012
dreadknightnero said:
He successfully made a character with a simple name and had nobody else have that same name? Imposibruuuuuuuuuu

steph96 said:
...There is no way choosing your username can go this smoothly in an online game!

Character names can be duplicated in PSO2. ARKS ID on the other hand, are unique. Basically a first name / last name system like in many other MMOs. With the ARKS ID being the last name.
Jan 9, 2016 9:12 PM

Jul 2012
What the fuck is with the ending? They had such a nice OP but the ED is just... so unfitting.

Aoi Shouta ahhhh. This is his first main character role (that I've heard from him) and I'm so proud of my baby chick. <3 I didn't know the new single he did was for this Anime so I was surprised when I heard it! He sings it acapella here.

I like the concept + setting so far! It's simple and not confusing at all.

Looking forward to more!
Jan 9, 2016 9:31 PM
Jul 2015
Episode was horrible, but I can't help feeling like SEGA's going for the bait and switch. It looks like they might pull a .hack / SAO kind of story where they get sucked into the game or are actually already in the game and 'real life' is actually some kind of artificial world.

- Intro was excessively dramatic for how-slice-of-lifey this episode was.
- Most 'Earth' characters that we meet are one dimensional copy paste of generic anime tropes.
- Why does student council president know the names of everyone in the school? Why is she doing research on PSO2? Why is she so serious when she says the sight of students casually sitting around playing PSO2 may disappear and it is up to MC to save it?
- MC your average ordinary "good enough" guy setting him up to become some kind of super OP rappy
slaying mofo.
- That sonic logo in the middle of "seiga" academy could be hinting that they are in one of SEGA's games or something... or it could just be shameless sonic ad placement (wouldn't be the first time SEGA's plastered Sonic on their non-related IP)
- That extremely shady (or lazy) plot mechanic: Join the student council to play PSO2 and submit daily reports on your experience in game.
- Oh sweet I randomized an avatar that looks exactly like myself and my IRL name was available to use in game!!

Of course I'm probably thinking too hard and this anime is probably the trash that we all expect it to be... Also there's no excusing the quality of the animation and awkward CGI scenes.
Jan 9, 2016 9:42 PM
Sep 2014
ezodagrom said:
ShadowAlex said:
It wasn't awful but it is already teetering down into SAO territory with the BS One-Shot-Kill he pulls off in the end.

Briada are by no means grunts. They are annoyingly fast and hit pretty hard...well, at the beginning anyway. They still remain annoying afterward. And the El Dagan they spawn really really hurt.
Jan 9, 2016 10:23 PM
Jul 2015
I exactly really enjoyed the anime, legit 5/7
Jan 9, 2016 10:51 PM
Dec 2015
i don't know everything feels just so awkward and wrong, story not to mention the acting was just so forced...just feel so sad since i like playing this game :_(
Jan 9, 2016 11:23 PM

Dec 2015
The first few minutes before OP song was crappy bullshit!
1st episode was kinda meh to me & that student council fanboys makes me wanna kill them.
Overall, not very good & very bad either, kinda in the middle. Let's see 2 or 3 episodes to decide where this is going.
Jan 9, 2016 11:34 PM

Dec 2009
what kind of school forces there student council to stalk their students even in games...
Jan 9, 2016 11:49 PM

Aug 2014
Well, that was one of the worst tropes to start the plot! Assuming there will be plot or anything..
Really? MC with particularly no relation with the Student council president before, suddenly elected to be a vice-president by the president herself?
It's not like he's the only one with perfect attendance! Why not electing the already-existing student council member instead?
Then, randomly asked him to specifically play the PSO2 game? What the heck? Is SEGA even trying?

Put that setting aside, and jump to the part of him playing the game, it's actually not too bad.
Great, randomize button will surely choose a character that looks exactly like me! Will do that IRL!
SORO is pretty cool! Dunno what to think when seeing him(her?) do that dancing in the ED with that cool-designed robot suit..

Preview part is cute. That is ALL.
Jan 10, 2016 12:04 AM

Sep 2011
hans17 said:
dreadknightnero said:
He successfully made a character with a simple name and had nobody else have that same name? Imposibruuuuuuuuuu

steph96 said:

Character names can be duplicated in PSO2. ARKS ID on the other hand, are unique. Basically a first name / last name system like in many other MMOs. With the ARKS ID being the last name.

Well you learn something new everyday.
Jan 10, 2016 12:30 AM
Jul 2018
Generic and forgettable but fun while I'm on the trip, if that makes any sense. ED felt really out of place, just didn't seem like a good fit. Am I the only one who kind of likes the color palette here, some variety and its kind of lively. It should be fun to see where this goes.
Jan 10, 2016 12:36 AM

Oct 2012
Generic as hell, they traded an MMO for this shit?!

Jan 10, 2016 2:15 AM

Feb 2015
Weird animation tbh. but it was okay i guess. i thought the player can go inside the game like SAO but actually it was a normal RPG game. well, that was good i guess, better than that. the op and the ed meh......... just one thing that i know, i dislike the OP and the ed. at least the ed can make me laugh :D . let's just see where this is going.

the action, okay.
it's just okay.
i think they choose a wrong studio.
YizelTroJan 10, 2016 2:20 AM
Jan 10, 2016 3:02 AM

May 2012
The first episode was not bad at all. It does feel similar SAO and Accel World anime
Jan 10, 2016 3:45 AM

Apr 2011
I have two questions... how and why? Come on, even if they were trying to advertise the damn game, they could've done far better than this. Scratch that, a retard could've done far better than this. I've never played a Phantasy Star game, but I know that it is one of Sega's bigger franchises and that it's a greatly respected franchise in the gaming world so I never wanted to say something like this, but fucking Lance N' Masques was better than this shit.
Jan 10, 2016 4:15 AM
Jan 2016
Watching this makes me believe that God Eater anime was good despite it's screw up by the schedule that they have to shorten the episodes to quite a cliffhanger.

Think the last good SEGA anime-adaption was valkyria chronicles anime.

Shining hearts was probably the previous SEGA anime before PSO2 but it the story doesn't make sense.

I really wonder how will they do the script for their next SEGA anime - Chain chronicles.........
Jan 10, 2016 4:19 AM

Jul 2012
Vlaeghe said:
The opening song was pretty bad, aka skippable.
It was amazing. One of the best this season. Aoi Shouta is bae.
Jan 10, 2016 4:25 AM

Nov 2009
fatalystic said:
Briada are by no means grunts. They are annoyingly fast and hit pretty hard...well, at the beginning anyway. They still remain annoying afterward. And the El Dagan they spawn really really hurt.

Breeahda's are pretty much the weakest of the medium sized bug darkers though, maybe even the weakest of all medium sized darkers.
And the photon arts balance changes at the start of episode 3 made the earlier difficulties far too easy...

dreadknightnero said:
Well you learn something new everyday.

It's a pretty neat system, it's surprising that it's such an uncommon system when it comes to MMOs.

Even the previous online Phantasy Star games had a system similar to this, though it was a simpler version of the system used in PSO2. In the previous games each account had an unique ID number which was used to identify an account and the character's names could be duplicated and such.
PSO2 introduced the Player ID system, players set up a unique name ID for the account together with the automatic ID number, the unique name ID helps in players being able to more easily identify other people.
ezodagromJan 10, 2016 4:36 AM
Jan 10, 2016 5:44 AM

May 2008
it was okayish again lol most anime starting so okayish!
Jan 10, 2016 10:02 AM

Jan 2012
It's soooooo lame
it's like a bad strightforward commercial
Seriously, Sega, no.

They have Sonic Boom to promote Sonic Boom and, at least, it's humorous and nice. And there's Amy Rose too. But recently all Sega do is making stupid mistakes and trying to promote them probably thinking good promotion will make crap popular. But no.
povsuduvolosyJan 10, 2016 10:18 AM
Jan 10, 2016 11:36 AM

Apr 2015
I don't know exactly how they were supposed to make the series work without a virtual reality SAO approach to the game, but the real world premise they decided on is just dumb. The vice president's job? Even by anime logic, that's just stupid. Pretty sure the student council in Japanese high schools is a bit more important than that.

Everything else was okay I guess. I don't have high hopes for the score on this one.
GileonFletcherJan 10, 2016 11:39 AM
Jan 10, 2016 1:41 PM

Jan 2014
6/10. Very generic. MC that feels like he's too normal and isn't sure if he is going to stay in the average norm. Student council president is perfect in everything yet still has interest in average MC.

Not much expectations but if you played PSO2 you'd probably like it.
No game no 2nd season.
Jan 10, 2016 4:51 PM

Oct 2011
He's playing as a Gunslash OMG
Jan 10, 2016 7:03 PM

Jun 2013
Ehhh it was very.... average at best.
Jan 10, 2016 7:06 PM

Mar 2010
I'm actually pretty mad at this, I didn't expect much but this?... Kids playing MMOs? Really man?

This is making me mad because I'm a huge fan of the original RPG series (And PSO ep I & II I guess). It's like, the series have a good lore... the original ones at least... And it's just cringe inducing that the series has been reduced to that

Just make a Phantasy Star I, II, III, IV anime ... And give us Phantasy Star V already
Jan 10, 2016 9:16 PM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
The guy gets a headshot in his first try. OP

The guys outfit for the PSO2 game is so Kirito style.

Overall and ok episode. Student Prez, pretty but that glasses guy sure seems arrogant.

Jan 11, 2016 4:09 AM
Jun 2014
If this was a Galaxy Quest style "Oh yeah by the way, this shit is actually in real life and you're getting conscripted" then I'd rate this show a lot higher. At this point there's enough doubt on if it will get better, let alone the fact it's already mediocre.
Jan 11, 2016 5:19 AM

Nov 2009
SweetKotomi said:
The guys outfit for the PSO2 game is so Kirito style.

It just happens to be the default human outfit for the actual game.
http://i.imgur.com/bNsuA.jpg

Mykaterasu said:
If this was a Galaxy Quest style "Oh yeah by the way, this shit is actually in real life and you're getting conscripted" then I'd rate this show a lot higher. At this point there's enough doubt on if it will get better, let alone the fact it's already mediocre.

Well...
ezodagromJan 11, 2016 5:27 AM
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» It makes sense that they'd make this series...

vigorousjammer - Sep 19, 2015

4 by Lucifrost »»
Jul 17, 2022 2:37 PM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Jan 21, 2016

35 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 11, 2020 4:07 AM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2016

51 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 6, 2020 6:25 AM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2016

64 by TechOtaku »»
Apr 29, 2020 9:22 PM

Poll: » Phantasy Star Online 2 The Animation Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2016

28 by Akait »»
Aug 8, 2019 3:00 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.