Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2015 9:11 PM
Feb 2013
I have got to say this episode was so palpable that by the end I really wish someone would have made me into a chair myself. You can really feel the series' unique expression of love fleshed out by the characters and their motivations. Like, man, how do you even describe this kind of love, it's so in depth and far beyond the human thinking capability.

Also the comedy was absolutely hilarious, not to mention very well juxtaposed with the more serious scenes. Others may say the tone and atmosphere is jagged but I find it unique.
Jul 9, 2015 9:12 PM

Aug 2013
dafuq I just watched..
fucked up
Jul 9, 2015 10:08 PM

Nov 2012
SOLVING MURDER CASES IS SO FUN GUISE
Jul 9, 2015 10:14 PM
Apr 2013
It feels like some of Kobayashi's speculations are just popped out of nowhere and it became true and I don't like it. Nevertheless this is a good episode since they revealed how the crime happens properly. I prefer it more if they did not dump the revelations right away on the viewers face but rather leaving it to the imaginations of the viewers on how did the crime happen by showing some clues in a scene.

Also..
Jul 9, 2015 10:21 PM

Oct 2012
This was so fucking awful. Nothing in this episode made any sense, at all.

Giving it another episode before I drop it, only because the OP and ED are good.
Jul 9, 2015 10:26 PM

Jul 2007
gedata said:
CookingPriest said:

Incorrect.

The only throw away was that the suspect was a silhouette too from Kobayashi's POV, but otherwise the clues were there.

Other clues like?

Ill just quot another post:
Takuan_Soho said:
seizonsha said:
The problem is that we as the viewer were barely informed about this.

Not true they showed that the school gates were closed when Kobayashi woke up, the classroom had been cordoned off and that there were blue plastic covers over the windows and doors to the hallway and the curtains to the outside had been drawn.

Also, had other students seen the corpse there would have been no way to keep information control on the subject, it was too unique for someone not to comment.

So the information was there to solve the mystery in the first episode, that they focused on the one girl (even shadowed) so much was a clue for us, as was Kobayashi suddenly turning to look at her once she was off screen. This showed he knew then.
Jul 9, 2015 10:29 PM

Jun 2014
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace EP 2 - So I have become more intrigued with this anime after doing more research on the author "Edogawa Ranpo" that this commemorates.

The anime is actually a mixture of his Boys Detective Club stories and his short stories that revolve around the macabre. Akechi and Kobayashi are the main characters of the Boys Detective Club stories and this first story arc is a twist on his short story "The Human Chair".

I find this anime rather intriguing and can't wait to see what other stories by this Japanese mystery author are incorporated into this season.

As most anime is based on manga, light novels, or visual novel games, I find this unique that the subject matter for this anime comes from none of those, but from actual stories and books from a famous mystery writer during the 1930s thru the 1960s.

Definitely going to keep watching this!
So glad that I'm not a huge manga reader, because the manga readers WHINE WAY TOO MUCH and have to RUIN every adapted anime for the ANIME ONLY WATCHERS!
Jul 9, 2015 11:14 PM

Jan 2011
Line of the year "I wanted to be his chair"

still don't know what to think of this show it's like danganronpa but without anything that made danganronpa good.
Jul 9, 2015 11:22 PM

Nov 2010
This would've been so much better if we were given more background about the teacher and the megane girl. Even if there were clues, I did not feel like we were given a chance to solve the mystery and feel bad about the culprit.

Dropped because of that, aaand Kobayashi and his noisy megane sidekick. They annoy me SO MUCH! GEEZ Akechi should've been the MC from the start.
What is grammer _(」∠ 、ン、)_

Jul 9, 2015 11:26 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty interesting anime. Definitely going to stick with it. It also, strangely, really reminds me of MPD Psycho.
Jul 9, 2015 11:36 PM

Mar 2015
Yup called it. That eye glasses guy is into yaoi stuffs.

How interesting. So in the first episode we were using Kobayashi's point of view, which to him the world was boring, and therefore everyone was in shades of grey. While this episode had these yaoi guy looking at ppl normally.

Okay let me get this straight. Not only the teacher is a murderer, he turned people that he LOVE to chairs? Then he's in love with young kids of age 14? Then after that girl aged 14 is dumped, he likes the 13 years old boy? Dafuq anime is this?

I never knew Edogawa Ranpo was this fucked up. A young 14 years old girl can kill a teacher and do all those stuffs? Cutting killing, making chair? And you want me to believe that Ranpo? Wow. This story is fucked up. Dat Yaoi stuffs going around... was Ranpo a yaoi fan? Seriously what's with Kobayashi and showing his butt and hip in a feminine way? LOL. Trap at the finest.

That teacher running away and smashed the window was funny though. Been sitting at that kind of thing...

Jul 9, 2015 11:41 PM

May 2010
This episode had a ''what the ......... '' feeling. -_-
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 9, 2015 11:43 PM

Aug 2013
seizonsha said:
CookingPriest said:

She did not.

The class was offlimits and only kobayashi and student council president got into it(the latter after the body was removed).
Akechi also had a total media blackout on the case, so the only way the girl could really know about the shape the teacher was in was if she did it.

The problem is that we as the viewer were barely informed about this.

As a mystery these two episodes were barely holding it together. Motive, modus operandi, and identity of the killer had to be basically drawn out of thin air. For me, this also killed any suspense or emotional attachment I could have felt regarding this first story. The biggest problem I have is that, since the mystery didn't really invite us to solve it with the characters, I have a hard time actually perceiving the characters as intelligent...

The episode was also pretty much all over the place in terms of atmosphere. They rushed too much through all the different set pieces, leaving no time for anything to sink in. So neither the humor nor the horror nor the tragedy really worked on me...it was just about getting to the reveal.

you are using big words just tot say you weren't smart enough to figure out everything
Jul 9, 2015 11:51 PM

Aug 2013
It's funny how hypocritical you guys are, complaining about the yaoi when I'm sure you would have all shut your trap if it was yuri instead
Jul 10, 2015 12:17 AM

Jul 2011
nope, i'm done, i ain't even gonna try anymore to remind myself that kobayashi is a guy, there is no reason for me to do so, well, apart from the fact that he(maybe) has a penis, obviously.

also don't get why people didn't like the autopsy scene, it's noire, and with the teatrical feel of the murder scenes, i think it fits really well with the whole thing, now the teacher's jumpscare... that probably wasn't needed, especially the comment after she jumped out the window.
Jul 10, 2015 12:26 AM

Oct 2012
Takuan_Soho said:
People should remember this show is targeted to 13-17 year old kids. So expect more camp than butchery.

Kobayashi is not a trap, he is a troll. And he trolls everyone: friend, classmates, teachers, the police. He is deliberately playing up his femininity, you can see that this episode. He enjoys it.

Also, yes Kobayashi does have emotions, he is just wired very very differently. I liked how he only noticed how cute Hoshino was once he understood she was the murderer.

With the teacher, think of "love" as mental, not physical. Hoshino "loved" the teacher because he was the only person who noticed her and paid attention to her. Her truly understood her, and for someone like her that would mean everything to her. I seriously doubt that the teacher had sex with any of his "lovers", that would have tainted his "love" for them. So his "love" for Kobayashi, as Hoshino pointed out, was because he recognized that Kobayashi was a kindred spirit, the one person who could understand him.

Real question: what would Kobayashi have done had he found out that the teacher was a serial killer? Would he have turned him in?

Best thing about this show is that the writer gets what he is doing. He turns "weaknesses" into strengths. People were complaining how casual Kobayashi accepted everything, then we get the scene with the teacher with the exaggerated reaction. The juxtaposition made that scene 10 times funnier than it would have been. Having her run out of the room, then back through the other door so she could then jump out of the window, and then have Kobayashi's casual "she took a month off" was perfectly timed.

Finally, yes this was an easy murder. Now we are on to Akechi level opponents. Expect even more over the top characters.

Wow, someone on this site actually understands this show and what it's trying to do? It's a miracle!
Jul 10, 2015 12:35 AM

Jul 2014
The actual mystery was continued and solved well, but near enough everything else was downright retarded. First, the attempts to make Kobayashi seem like more of a girl by having the old teacher love him and Hashiba getting embarrassed in his presence was annoying. Then there was the whole "I want to be turned into his chair" bullshit, which was just ridiculous and made this really really hard to even begin to relate to. And then there was that autopsy scene. Seriously, what the fuck was that?
Jul 10, 2015 12:35 AM

Jul 2011
"I seriously doubt that the teacher had sex with any of his "lovers", that would have tainted his "love" for them. So his "love" for Kobayashi, as Hoshino pointed out, was because he recognized that Kobayashi was a kindred spirit, the one person who could understand him."

pretty sure he based his chairs on beuty though, remember the comment of kobayashi? "look at them, they're all beautiful" , pretty sure ad sudden penis or ballsack would go against the vision of "beauty" of the murderer, though it's true that even in the books he's like that... well, more than a trap, he's just so gorgeous looking to be considered a girl, here insted he is just straight up a girl with a penis.
Jul 10, 2015 12:39 AM

Sep 2014
This turned into trashy comedy pretty fast. Damn. I like dark/macabre humor but this is just out of place with cat girl teacher running around screaming and that murder case show.

Sukebe14 said:
Sherlupin said:

you should stop searching for realism and comon sense in this anime

Edogawa Ranpo was a writer of strange tales and macabre humor

Guess you right. This anime not for me, I rather read some H.P Lovecraft's works. His stories makes more common sense

Apparently, the anime is not even remotely similar to his "Human Chair".
Jul 10, 2015 12:43 AM

Jul 2011
Miragee said:
This turned into trashy comedy pretty fast. Damn. I like dark/macabre humor but this is just out of place with cat girl teacher running around screaming and that murder case show.

Sukebe14 said:

Guess you right. This anime not for me, I rather read some H.P Lovecraft's works. His stories makes more common sense

based off =/=trying to make the same frikkin thing.

also i liked the autopsy show, it fit withe rest of the anime, as i said earlier, it was the teacher's scene that was really out of place.

also,as she said "we'll see her again 2 weeks" so that confirms that it'll be a 2-episodes cases anime, 3 if they stretch it.
Jul 10, 2015 12:56 AM
Mar 2011
Miragee said:
There are similarities (for example, people doing weird things because of love). But not so much. The stories and characters are completely different.
Jul 10, 2015 12:59 AM

Feb 2014
It was fun until Hashiba got embarassed when Kobayashi whispers at him.
Jul 10, 2015 1:39 AM

Jan 2014
MEsoJD said:
ThrashMatto said:
I don't see why everyone is complaining about the shounen-ai (not yaoi), it's pretty easy to convince yourself that Kobayashi is a girl.
Did you see that ending scene, no way Kobayashi is a boy... right?... right.... RIGHT!!?

A lot of people are homophobic (many probably religious too haha) on mal. It's been this way for awhile.

Which they have all right to be. frankly i wouldnt watch something that was just shounen-ai because, well, it doesnt interest me. thats why i still havent finished black butler because the shounen-ai parts of it are a little too strong and feel like its pandering too much to the fujoshis. with ranpo kittan however, the main focus is still on the story and yes there are undertones but i doubt it will become a major focal point.

like i said though, if people have an issue with th homosexual characters, which from what i can tell kobayashi isnt, they can just pretend hes a girl, its pretty easy. however, yes, it is unfortunate that some people cant look past their own personal biases when it comes to entertainment but they have every right to be that way.

i still think
handles shounen-ai in the best way possible.
ThrashMattoJul 10, 2015 1:48 AM
I love Christine

"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; In proportion as he simplifies his life, the laws of the universe will appear less complex, and solitude will not be solitude, nor poverty poverty, nor weakness weakness." - Henry David Thoreau

Jul 10, 2015 1:42 AM

Dec 2012
This show isn't very good thus far... And the viewer doesn't even get to have a chance solving the mystery themselves, what's the point?

ASCRedScarf said:
that episode made about as much sense as a donald trump speech

Most intense episode since death parade 10 10/10 would cut wrists again

I could not contain my laughter at the seriousness delivered on that line.
Jul 10, 2015 1:49 AM

Apr 2014
wtf.
Jul 10, 2015 1:54 AM

Jan 2013
The OP isn't enough of a reason to watch this. Dropped.
Jul 10, 2015 2:12 AM
Dec 2014
I didn't like the autopsy gimmick, but I read a youtube comment that put it into perspective. From the MC's pov, everything is a game. Of course he would derive sick/twisted enjoyment from something that's traditionally considered serious. He probably knew what she was going to say anyway, so he made it more enjoyable in his mind.

That being said, it's really jarring to see something like that in a detective show. Maybe Detective Conan spoiled me but death isn't something I take lightly. This will be an interesting anime for me personally.
Jul 10, 2015 2:25 AM

Nov 2014
I have a Twin Peaks vibe from this. OP and ED are good as well. What's there to complain xD?

The plot is so surreal it's intriguing. And the autopsy was the most hilarious thing I've seen lately.
Haruhi ism
It's fun, isn't it?

Jul 10, 2015 2:35 AM

Jul 2007
Konata360 said:
I didn't like the autopsy gimmick, but I read a youtube comment that put it into perspective. From the MC's pov, everything is a game. Of course he would derive sick/twisted enjoyment from something that's traditionally considered serious. He probably knew what she was going to say anyway, so he made it more enjoyable in his mind.

This is correct. A lot of "quirks" seem to be more of a Kobayashi's perspective of what is going on. He sees the world in a VERY different way from the rest

Miragee said:

Its based upon. It is not an adaptation, it is a modernized retelling(again, comparison to Sherlock, almost none of episodes titled after the books follow the book plot instead of taking those elements and adapting them in modern way)
Jul 10, 2015 2:41 AM

Aug 2008
I didn't even finish the episode, and dropped it. I dropped it as soon as I saw some black bullet story line rubbish 'intelligence' and 'logic' pulled out of no where from the main character trap. I'm done with this anime, so good bye my friends.
Jul 10, 2015 3:06 AM
Jul 2018
I kinda liked the autopsy part. It was so out of nowhere. Teacher jumping out the window was just bad though. I like where the anime is going. It's just a nice detective story. It's light.
Jul 10, 2015 3:30 AM

Jun 2015
Felt a bit rushed to me.. and the character interactions feel weird, was expecting them to drag out one more episode to solve this case.

Not really my cup of tea, so I'm probably gonna drop it. Not saying it's bad, but just can't seem to get into it.

Jul 10, 2015 3:44 AM
Aug 2011
That's it? It surely can't be it, unless they're going to loop back around to this case by the finale?
If they don't then I thought the case was going to be extended to the entirety of the season lmao. Oh man.

I can already see almost everything coming, where it turns out that everyone is fucked up or will do/has already done something fucked up by the end.

As if the teacher and Kobayashi isn't obvious enough already seeing the scars on her arms or just seeing Kobayashi's disgusting attitude toward all of this.
Kobayashi's ~friend~ is just too "plain" in the scheme of this whole thing, he's probably the worst out of all of them.

Speaking of Hashiba... he really wants dat ass and that's the most interesting here tbh.

kataklism said:
nope, i'm done, i ain't even gonna try anymore to remind myself that kobayashi is a guy, there is no reason for me to do so, well, apart from the fact that he(maybe) has a penis, obviously.

Kobayashi having or not having a penis is the least of this show's problems.
standJul 10, 2015 3:56 AM
Jul 10, 2015 3:57 AM

Mar 2013
Miragee said:

It's not supposed to be. If you want to read an adaptation of the actual story, Junji Ito drew a manga one shot of Human Chair that's available scantalated online. They mostly just took some of the weird atmosphere, motive, and chair-based romance, since the original story is about a man that lives inside a chair to show his love and support for a woman, eventually murdering her cruel husband and placing her in the chair with him. It's suggested she was actually happy in the chair too since she even ends up having children with the chair man before dying in there with him. The general feel to the story is what's similar here, not the events. The most similar thing to me was probably the end note about the teacher using one of his loves as his chair in class. It reminds me of how the chair man was specifically the woman's work chair for when she did her writing, wanting to support her in her career when her husband did not.
Jul 10, 2015 4:04 AM

Jul 2007
And Kobayashi's reasoning of the case pretty much confirms that the"Game of Laplace" in the title refers to Pierre Simon Laplace's Analytical Theory of Probabilities.

P.S.Laplace was a famous french mathematician who built the foundation of the current model of bayesian probability theory. The basis of his work is all about creating a hypothesis and assigning the probability to that possible outcome.

What Kobayashi did this episode(just like in first episode with assuming Akechi does not own the outcome) is to construct a hypothesis based on data he has(ex: he was most likely put in a locker, assumption, etc) and then search for evidence to confirm it as most probable.

Hence This is Game of Laplace for him.

parfaited said:

Kobayashi's ~friend~ is just too "plain" in the scheme of this whole thing, he's probably the worst out of all of them.

He's the "Doctor Watson" of the show - a "normal" person(with possibly some skeletons in the closet) as a counter to all the psychopaths around him.
Jul 10, 2015 4:18 AM

Nov 2011
Vanisher said:
Stark700 said:

This scene almost made me drop the anime, it was so fucking terrible. Also the teacher jumping thing was terrible as well. Fuck comedy.

It was alright outside of that.

That's actually the only scene I like from this episode or this anime since I gonna drop it now.

There are so many things that's wrong with this anime, I am not even gonna list them.

Jul 10, 2015 4:19 AM

Aug 2014
Minami or whatever her name is and Corpsey should take up show biz right with that studio that produced Happy Tree Friends.

Also that human chair... I also took a month (read: minute) leave for the washroom. That seriously freaked the hell outta me cuz like seeing isn't believing...at all...

TIL chairs are deceitful
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2015 4:32 AM

Jan 2014
So "he" solved the mystery... I'm saying "he" because of all the series and movies i've seen, I don't remember one which such obvious girly voice when its supposed to be a boy. There are just too many things about his personality and appearance that makes him seem too much like a girl and it annoys >-<

I'll have to get used to it though, as the series itself seems too interesting to let go.
Jul 10, 2015 4:44 AM

Sep 2014
Wow, I never said I wanted an adaption or expected one. But there is a difference between "loosely based upon" and "butchering by adding anime tropes".
Jul 10, 2015 4:49 AM

Apr 2010
I know it's an anime n all, but the MC is just too unnatural. That makes him really boring. I'll decide whether to drop after the next case, this was way too easy.
Jul 10, 2015 4:52 AM

May 2015
Alright. That autopsy scene was just terrible. Wasn't even funny. Still, overall alright episode, although some things felt like they were all over the place. Meh so far.

Jul 10, 2015 4:57 AM

Jul 2012
Why the hell did that new teacher jump out of the window? They could have made her trip running down the stairs instead or just that she never saw the chair.

shimada_m said:
It was fun until Hashiba got embarassed when Kobayashi whispers at him.
Jul 10, 2015 5:06 AM

Jan 2012
ASCRedScarf said:
that episode made about as much sense as a donald trump speech

True enough.
Not in my worst nightmares i would have expected this to be so absurdly bad.
The reasoning is pretty much a guessing game witch you already knew the answer too.
The characters are all shallow, with no depth at all. The Enjoyment the MC gets out of murder seems so forced that i can't take it serious and the comedy skits kill every rest of atmosphere this anime is so desperate to build up. I will follow the next case but most likly drop it with 2/10 or 3/10.

Every single one of the over 750 Conen episodes is better than this...

How did he get the women in his garage without anyone noticing? -because they loved him and wanted to be turned into chairs.
-logic
"Es irrt der Mensch, solang er strebt." - Faust I, Vers 317
Jul 10, 2015 5:40 AM

Mar 2012
My reaction to this anime:
co0lkidJul 10, 2015 8:23 AM
Jul 10, 2015 6:06 AM

May 2013
This episode was unbelievably awful. I'm glad they made this show, had a good laugh.

Jul 10, 2015 6:22 AM

Jun 2012
If Kobayashi found out that he has a dick between his legs, maybe he would get more fun...
Jul 10, 2015 6:31 AM

Dec 2012
I just finished Chaos Dragon a few hours ago & it was the worst thing that I have ever watched. And I was like, "Hm . . . , maybe Game of Laplace will bright things up after that horrendous anime." Oh, was I wrong. This is the worst mystery anime show I have ever watched. This season starts in a really bad way for me.
I like anime.
Jul 10, 2015 6:39 AM

Jul 2011
Pat_To_Do-List said:
I just finished Chaos Dragon a few hours ago & it was the worst thing that I have ever watched. And I was like, "Hm . . . , maybe Game of Laplace will bright things up after that horrendous anime." Oh, was I wrong. This is the worst mystery anime show I have ever watched. This season starts in a really bad way for me.
bithc plis, un-go worst murder cases anime, this one it's fine, just a tad too weird in some cases, and it has some dobiuos design choices but apart from those, it's fine, i'd actually go as far as saying as it misses the top 3 of this season by just a little(top 3 being gate, shirayuki and overlord, but i might be too hyped on the last one to make a good judgement)
Jul 10, 2015 6:44 AM

Dec 2012
kataklism said:
bithc plis, un-go worst murder cases anime, this one it's fine, just a tad too weird in some cases, and it has some dobiuos design choices but apart from those, it's fine, i'd actually go as far as saying as it misses the top 3 of this season by just a little(top 3 being gate, shirayuki and overlord, but i might be too hyped on the last one to make a good judgement)

Oh, really? I never watch UN-GO.
Not only that, this anime has a dubious writing quality too.
I like anime.
Jul 10, 2015 7:24 AM

May 2013
droppeddddd
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 17, 2015

146 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 11:47 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 3, 2015

70 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 10:45 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Takuan_Soho - Jul 30, 2015

235 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:35 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 23, 2015

137 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 8:06 AM

Poll: » Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 16, 2015

206 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 4, 2023 6:58 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.