Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Oct 5, 2010 11:42 PM

Apr 2009
wow wtfawesome. Watching this after Witch Hunter Robin made my brain explode in utter awe and confusion. Loved everything abou tit.
Oct 6, 2010 1:08 AM

Oct 2008
I'm quite glad that I started this . At first I excluded it from my PTW list but then I changed my mind after watching the transformation scene a few days ago.

The first half was a tiny bit disgusting but still throughout this was very enjoyable.

It's weird, art is like Powerpuff Girls but still I will wait for the next episode!
3/5 for the episode.
Oct 6, 2010 4:08 PM

Jun 2009
I dig this
Oct 6, 2010 8:33 PM
Oct 2009
kuroshiroi said:
Nyron said:
kuroshiroi said:
Nyron said:
btw everyone should check out my review. It's not hard to find, considering it's #1 and will remain as such until the end of eternity
Your review lost me at the "Rainbow is the best show of the year" part, Rainbow is fucking awful and artificially deep. Sora no Otoshimono is a fucking masterpiece compared to it and a solid 8 all on its own. On the other hand, apparently the asshats over at ANN think it's a generic harem fanservice otaku anime, so what do I know

there's nothing deep about Rainbow. it's philosophical or psychological, it's just a story. It's pretty lame if you think having graphic scenes makes an anime "artificially deep".
Actually, the story is the worst part and the lack of character development leads me to say it's artificially deep. We're meant to care for these guys but we never see them interacting, everything is pushed down our throats and we're meant to accept it as truth, because lol, Japan in the 1950s was so sad. Anyway, I'd rather not derail this thread so I'll stop there about Rainbow.

Nyron said:
also maybe if sora presented itself as something decent it would get more respect, but everything about it makes it look awful. Don't blame ANN, blame jet panties and abominable character designs.
That's why I mentioned it, there are some similarites between Sora no Otoshimono and P&S in that their wrapping is unusual and if people can't see past that, then they don't have business watching anime or anything, really. Judging something based on its cover is pretty fucking dumb. Like the people who label P&S simply as an ecchi show with toilet humour don't know what the fuck they're talking about. But I suspect we largely agree on that :)

Who knows, maybe they're right though.
^Agrees with kuroshiroi 100%.

Rainbow is overrated and nothing special and ultimately fails to do real justice for its unique premise (Japan in 1950s). Sora no Otoshimono (and it's airing second season) is an amazing show that takes an overdone genre and does it CORRECTLY, being able to present good comedy and solid story both at the same time without abandoning what makes ecchi romance fun.

I can't say much about Panty and Stocking yet since there's only one episode to represent it. Although the first episode manages to do something new: take every generic quality and popular trope from recent anime (specifically ecchi romance), and deliver it a big fat middle finger CORRECTLY. By far no small feat, and I will continue to watch this show to see how creative it can continue to be.
Oct 6, 2010 11:24 PM
Aug 2010
A2ZOMG said:
take every generic quality and popular trope from recent anime (specifically ecchi romance), and deliver it a big fat middle finger CORRECTLY.

keep saying this, maybe it'll stop being pretentious, nonsensical and ignorant in every conceivable way EVENTUALLY :3c

(alternatively watch Dead Leaves and realize that this is just the same thing with cute girls and not some OTAKU 0WNAGE satire)
Oct 6, 2010 11:43 PM

Sep 2008
A2ZOMG said:
kuroshiroi said:
Nyron said:
kuroshiroi said:
Nyron said:
btw everyone should check out my review. It's not hard to find, considering it's #1 and will remain as such until the end of eternity
Your review lost me at the "Rainbow is the best show of the year" part, Rainbow is fucking awful and artificially deep. Sora no Otoshimono is a fucking masterpiece compared to it and a solid 8 all on its own. On the other hand, apparently the asshats over at ANN think it's a generic harem fanservice otaku anime, so what do I know

there's nothing deep about Rainbow. it's philosophical or psychological, it's just a story. It's pretty lame if you think having graphic scenes makes an anime "artificially deep".
Actually, the story is the worst part and the lack of character development leads me to say it's artificially deep. We're meant to care for these guys but we never see them interacting, everything is pushed down our throats and we're meant to accept it as truth, because lol, Japan in the 1950s was so sad. Anyway, I'd rather not derail this thread so I'll stop there about Rainbow.

Nyron said:
also maybe if sora presented itself as something decent it would get more respect, but everything about it makes it look awful. Don't blame ANN, blame jet panties and abominable character designs.
That's why I mentioned it, there are some similarites between Sora no Otoshimono and P&S in that their wrapping is unusual and if people can't see past that, then they don't have business watching anime or anything, really. Judging something based on its cover is pretty fucking dumb. Like the people who label P&S simply as an ecchi show with toilet humour don't know what the fuck they're talking about. But I suspect we largely agree on that :)

Who knows, maybe they're right though.
^Agrees with kuroshiroi 100%.

Rainbow is overrated and nothing special and ultimately fails to do real justice for its unique premise (Japan in 1950s). Sora no Otoshimono (and it's airing second season) is an amazing show that takes an overdone genre and does it CORRECTLY, being able to present good comedy and solid story both at the same time without abandoning what makes ecchi romance fun.

I can't say too much about either show, but it seems like a unique setting is often enough to sell. It allowed rainbow to tap in to an untapped market and as such they had no competition. No real need to go too far past what made it sell.

Also I'd love to know what all the love of sora is about. When I watched the first ep it was the most painful ecchi I've ever tried to view. Do the characters develop into something compelling or does the ecchi aspect of it get good after that first episode? I have been very surprised by the ratings I've been seeing for it since it got renewed for a second season.

Edit: Not trying to be critical. This has surprised me and I'm just interested in hearing from a fan what made the series good. It sounds like there was a lot more there than my initial impression.
Oct 7, 2010 7:09 AM

Jul 2008
It seems it's impossible to upload the transformation scene (which I made a gif with) through a free image hosting site without hitting the limit. But the image quality has already gone down, and I've greatly decreased the number of frames already (thus making it slower, but smaller).
Oct 7, 2010 7:25 AM

Feb 2008
Gangler said:
Also I'd love to know what all the love of sora is about. When I watched the first ep it was the most painful ecchi I've ever tried to view. Do the characters develop into something compelling or does the ecchi aspect of it get good after that first episode? I have been very surprised by the ratings I've been seeing for it since it got renewed for a second season.

Edit: Not trying to be critical. This has surprised me and I'm just interested in hearing from a fan what made the series good. It sounds like there was a lot more there than my initial impression.
Superb execution along with honesty and sincerity. Nothing we see is really new but they mesh the whole thing together in a wonderful way so the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Also, the main character is a pervert but he's the good kind, he has a kind heart and genuinely cares. You may have to watch a bunch of episodes to see all of this but that's only because the meat is hidden beneath a layer of hilarious ecchi comedy.

Also, all of the technical aspects are great, directing, editing, animation, etc. It's just a really well put together little show. I've said this before: I came for the boobs, stayed for the story and the characters.

@entropy13: gif? Just link to the youtube video...
Oct 7, 2010 7:50 AM

Jul 2008
@kuroshiroi: I already got that saved as an mp4 in my PC. That's where I got the frames needed for the gif. It's just that I can't bring down the file size enough not too sacrifice the quality too much. I've already resized it to 380x176. I might either make it even smaller or decrease the number of frames (I already deleted 1100 frames already lol).
Oct 7, 2010 9:56 AM

Sep 2009
I really enjoyed this episode. It's like if Jhonen Vasquez made an anime. It's funny, the characters are likable, and not even a dreadful over-abundance of poop jokes could fuck this show up. Keep it up, Gainax!
Oct 7, 2010 11:29 AM

Jul 2007
Finally somethin' that I feel is DIFFERENT. Thank you Gainax, keep it in that way please~
Oct 7, 2010 12:21 PM

Sep 2008
kuroshiroi said:
Superb execution along with honesty and sincerity. Nothing we see is really new but they mesh the whole thing together in a wonderful way so the sum of the parts is greater than the whole.

Also, the main character is a pervert but he's the good kind, he has a kind heart and genuinely cares. You may have to watch a bunch of episodes to see all of this but that's only because the meat is hidden beneath a layer of hilarious ecchi comedy.

Also, all of the technical aspects are great, directing, editing, animation, etc. It's just a really well put together little show. I've said this before: I came for the boobs, stayed for the story and the characters.
Thanks. Sounds like it's worth a second chance to be sure.
Oct 7, 2010 12:42 PM
Aug 2010
I got nothing to do.
I looked at the screens of Panty & Stocking.
I said to myself: "I am bored, but not THAT bored".
Then I got enough bored.
Watched ep, got face paralyse, laughed loudly a few times, almost fall from the chair and scared my neighbours.

THIS IS SPAR.... I mean, this is really great. It's been a while since I laughed so hard. Can't wait for another ep :D.
Oct 7, 2010 2:37 PM

Jul 2009
This looks like an American cartoon, not anime :D
But it's pretty refreshing to watch something "original"
And I love the soundtrack :D
ʕ • ᴥ • ʔ
Oct 7, 2010 4:16 PM

May 2010
By the same people who brought FLCL. It gave me goosebumps just seeing Gainax un the production list. I loved it xD
I have nothing to put here. Go me.
Oct 8, 2010 1:31 AM

Feb 2010
Avarice said:
With the animation style, potty dialogue, over-the-top action and rather exaggerated attributes of the characters, this was like, a huge middle finger to the otaku-pandering moe anime that has been all the rage the past couple of years. And I was smiling the entire time I was watching this. I love you so much, GAINAX.

I'm so glad I gave this show a chance. All kinds of awesome.
Oct 8, 2010 10:24 AM

Mar 2008
This was awesome. Never expected it, I didn't even want to watch it, frankly.
But I saw that transformation scene and I JUST HAD TO.
Awesome sountrack & Garterbelt is my husbando.
Tell me how it feels, breaking down the old walls.

Oct 8, 2010 1:21 PM

Jun 2009
Wow...that was something...Indeed it feels more as a western cartoon. I wonder why I decided to watch this? Anyways, the music is simply awesome. And the transformation part was also awesome.
jjihhyeOct 8, 2010 1:24 PM

Oct 8, 2010 4:47 PM

Aug 2009
And then people come telling me, stop hating bro! gainax is great! they make the best stuff ever blablabla!

That episode was honestly shit. But what else do you want me to think about? Everything was literally covered in shit. It's like Imaishi's trying to be the new Go Nagai.
DocJangarlyOct 8, 2010 4:55 PM
Oct 8, 2010 9:57 PM

Jan 2009
This proves that Gainax's stuff is the greatest and most awesome! I'll admit when I saw it I was like I was waiting for this?! Come on, it looks like a rip off of powerpuff girls lol, but then as I watched on I was like whoa....this is FREAKING AWESOME & HILARIOUS!!! I like how gainax combined western style animation with japanimation, it's an unusual combination but based off this first episode I gotta say it's paying off. So far I'm saying this is the most quirky, epic, fast-paced, gung ho, and sleaziest anime of the fall 2010 season. Can't wait to see next episode XD. Btw that scene with the poles I was like O_o!!!!
Oct 10, 2010 1:21 PM
Dec 2008
Complete and utter shit, the music is awful the 'humor' is not at all humorous. And the entire thing is fucking retarded. Weeaboo bullshit that allows japanphiles the ability to feel like they aren't complete faggots by this show resembling a cartoon rather than an anime.
Oct 10, 2010 2:41 PM

Jun 2008
Avarice said:
With the animation style, potty dialogue, over-the-top action and rather exaggerated attributes of the characters, this was like, a huge middle finger to the otaku-pandering moe anime that has been all the rage the past couple of years. And I was smiling the entire time I was watching this. I love you so much, GAINAX.

One question here. Yeah am not crazy about moe no plot shows ether but is the answer just making a more dirty joke power buff girls? The plot of this anime is non existence also, like the moe shit. Hunting stupid shit monsters?

I find it ridiculous that people get excited not because of the overall quality of the anime but simply because it will irritate some other group of people.
And last time i checked you don't have to draw like stupid western childish cartoon to avoid being moe.
In the end i wonder what is the deference from the west except that it can be a little more dirty with it's jokes? Nothing really. It's exactly like western cartoons, not only in art but in the plot too( big evil stupid monsters that get eliminated every episode). So if you think this is a masterpiece that is better than anime then why the hell aren't you a cartoon fan instead of an anime fan?
Also the fact that they went with a childish looking cartoon in there attempt to make something anti-otaku just shows cowardliness. Because they can hide behind the "this is not to be taken serious at all" argument. Will they had the guts to make a decent story with good looking anime girls that are actually sluts that fuck guys in loves hotels? Now that will be showing balls because such girls will make a connection with the audience at first and then spit at the face of those virgin lover otakus when they do the shit they will do and enrage them. But with two silly little cartoon girls like that, who's gonna care?
Oct 10, 2010 2:49 PM

Jul 2009
Holy crap, I thought this was AWESOME! The art is so cool, the characters are really interesting, the sound effects and music are epic (ED was :D). I can tell I'm really going to like this series. Hilarious as well lol XD
Oct 10, 2010 6:43 PM

Jun 2008
LOL. I wish american cartoons were this epic
Oct 11, 2010 12:32 AM

Sep 2009
Monad said:
So if you think this is a masterpiece that is better than anime then why the hell aren't you a cartoon fan instead of an anime fan?

Anime is cartoons.
Oct 11, 2010 9:02 AM

Jun 2008
Spaghettus said:

Black_Jack said:
Monad said:
So if you think this is a masterpiece that is better than anime then why the hell aren't you a cartoon fan instead of an anime fan?

Anime is cartoons.

nottudissushittuagen.jpg

Exactly! We discussed about this shit a thousand times already.
Oct 11, 2010 9:39 AM

Sep 2008
Spaghettus said:
cyanidehappiness said:
Complete and utter shit, the music is awful the 'humor' is not at all humorous. And the entire thing is fucking retarded. Weeaboo bullshit that allows japanphiles the ability to feel like they aren't complete faggots by this show resembling a cartoon rather than an anime.

Agreed. Today's cartoons are shit and now they're trying to do the same to Anime? No thanks.
They're not trying to do anything to anime. Who do you think they even are? There's no evil conglomerate dedicated to tainting anime with western imperfections. One company did one show that bears similarity to american animation because... wait for it... they thought there would be profit in doing so. It's how they work. Same down there as over here.

Spaghettus said:

Black_Jack said:
Monad said:

Anime is cartoons.

nottudissushittuagen.jpg
First, that has more impact if you can successfully post an image. Second, regardless of whether you feel you've seen that debate before it's a valid counter argument in this situation. Not everyone watches anime because of their supposed "superiority". Watching japanese cartoons and watching american cartoons are not mutually exclusive. That's just fanboyism speaking, but even console fanboys don't assume that everyone who plays their console does so exclusively. That level of ridiculous is apparently only found in our unique social circle.
Oct 11, 2010 1:36 PM
Dec 2008
Spaghettus said:
cyanidehappiness said:

Agreed. Today's cartoons are shit and now they're trying to do the same to Anime? No thanks.

What the fuck? Did you even read what I wrote?
Oct 13, 2010 9:36 AM

Feb 2010
forget south park , forget family guy , a whore bitchy and an emo goth angel's are fuckingBIG.WIN
Oct 14, 2010 1:52 PM

Apr 2009
RyanSaotome said:
Feels like a more mature/sexual version of Powerpuff Girls. I like.

Thats was exactly what i was thinking when i watched the first episode
Oct 15, 2010 3:07 PM

Aug 2010
Lucifer-Sama said:
forget south park , forget family guy , a whore bitchy and an emo goth angel's are fuckingBIG.WIN

Hahahaha, what a nice way to put it.

This is one fucked up anime. I'm hooked.
Oct 16, 2010 2:37 PM

Aug 2009
FUCK. YES.

Even more awesome than I was expecting
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Oct 17, 2010 8:03 AM

Dec 2007
I think my head just asploded that was so much win, I was laughing the whole episode. While it is really over the top I found that aspect to be really enjoyable. I can't wait to see more of this...did I mention that the transformation scene was win too? xD
Oct 17, 2010 7:01 PM
Feb 2010
Never extended beyond sex and toilet humor. Really terrible. But then again, it seems there are actually people who enjoy nonstop sex jokes. More power to you I guess.
Oct 22, 2010 3:19 AM

Jan 2010
DemonTetsuo said:
...did I mention that the transformation scene was win too? xD
That one was, as a cheerleader would say, H. O. T.

And the soundtrack for the show is perfect.
Oct 23, 2010 8:53 PM
Sep 2009
Not gonna lie, I laughed...a lot.
Oct 27, 2010 12:35 AM

Jan 2009
I'm actually pretty impressed. :3 It's a nice change of pace IMO.
Oct 29, 2010 5:21 PM

May 2010
Freakin epic ^^
love the songs and the effects and artwork are just beauftiful. and it's so freakin funny can't wait for the next ep!
Oct 29, 2010 5:21 PM

May 2010
Freakin epic ^^
love the songs and the effects and artwork are just beauftiful. and it's so freakin funny can't wait for the next ep!
Oct 29, 2010 10:25 PM

Feb 2010
Powerpuff girls, afro samurai, invader zim, and anime = this
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 30, 2010 9:03 PM

Mar 2009
I like the OP. This episode was pretty good.
Nov 1, 2010 4:25 AM

Sep 2007
HATERS GONNA HAT

This is awesome
Nov 9, 2010 6:30 PM

Jun 2009
I wouldn't say this is the greatest dude..
I feel like I'm going back to my teen years watching cartoons
I didn't like the character design.. Garterbelts reminds me of a grownup Mojojo
@8mins I've dropped this
I was like, flat affect expression the whole time
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Nov 12, 2010 2:32 PM

Apr 2009
that was interesting.
Nov 14, 2010 7:27 AM

May 2009
It's like the Japanese love-child of the Powerpuff Girls and South Park.

AWESOME.
Nov 26, 2010 10:46 AM

Jul 2008
HO SHIT! What the fuck did I watch? xDDDD
Dec 3, 2010 3:58 PM

Jun 2008
A very classy anime....
Dec 3, 2010 7:44 PM
May 2010
You know how people who don't like anime often say it all looks the same? You know, that's not completely bullshit (just mostly bullshit). There are a lot of really great western cartoons, and if shows like Avatar can draw inspiration from Japan I don't see why Japan can't do the same.

Gainax, you've done it again. Eva, FLCL, Gurren Lagann, and now we'll see how well the rest of this stacks up to the giants.
Dec 3, 2010 8:16 PM

Aug 2009
DAMN!
-Fixing-
Dec 7, 2010 11:33 AM

Oct 2009
This is so FUCKING RETARD that its so FUCKING AWESOME! LMAO

WOot! HOT transformation~
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

chalco - Nov 5, 2010

199 by Eatsik »»
Apr 20, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

garfield15 - Dec 17, 2010

140 by TobiasAnimeMan »»
Apr 13, 1:39 AM

Poll: » Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

SunshineNoka - Dec 3, 2010

201 by JoaoPedru »»
Apr 8, 1:49 PM

Poll: » Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Nov 19, 2010

144 by JoaoPedru »»
Apr 3, 8:18 AM

Poll: » Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

ReaperEXE - Dec 24, 2010

425 by Wiziliz »»
Apr 3, 1:48 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.