Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Durarara!! (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Mar 28, 2015 9:43 PM

Jan 2014
"To think that Anri-chan is a Flame Haze!" That was priceless.
Mar 28, 2015 9:46 PM

Apr 2011
I was just waitin' this ep for years XD BAD MC, BAD
~♥~ Otaku + Otaku - Otaku = Otaku ~♥~
Mar 28, 2015 10:22 PM

Dec 2011
What a cliffhanger. Hahaha. Izaya just got stabbed like that. My goodness. >.<

Kadota and Rocchi becoming bros. Akane admiring Shizuo now. Varona with her seniors in assassination. And Kadota's group calling Anri a Flame Haze. Hahaha.

July can't come soon enough. :D
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 28, 2015 10:38 PM

Jan 2011
The wait is going to be the worst part about this given the kind of story DRRR weaves. The season breaks in between are going to take away from the overall enjoyment. Still...this was a good intro to this new season. Obviously first season was better than this but this 1/3 of the way done so shall see.
Mar 28, 2015 10:42 PM

Oct 2013
Can't wait for moar Vorona. 7/10
Mar 28, 2015 10:52 PM

Aug 2012
This season, Durarara was once again 100% pure, grade A fun. Honestly, I can't wait for the next arc.
Mar 28, 2015 11:11 PM

Dec 2013
Massive respect to Shizuo is this episode.

Mikado can actually be surprisingly badass 0.0

Damn these cliffhangers! What the hell is gonna happen with Vorona? Also Izaya actually got owned! Never though I would see the day.

Overall 8/10. Looking forward to July :)
Mar 28, 2015 11:23 PM
Jan 2015
Shizuo top momnet kick car
Izaya (((
10/10
Mar 28, 2015 11:28 PM

Mar 2014
Aw gosh, love this season. Shizuo was so kickass this ep! Ryuugamine's development seems interesting. Can't wait to see what's in store in July
Mar 28, 2015 11:35 PM

Dec 2012
This episode was more of, "Look how cool the 2nd part will be!" than a conclusion of an arc. I did not like it.

This 1st cour was really good overall, but the writing & the animation were not that good. It's fun & all, but the writing was a bit all over the place & convoluted. Many characters introduced without any meaningful involvement to the storyline, some characters had weird development, too much information and so many characters introduced in a short amount of time that I could not care less about some of the new characters, & Mikado somehow had forgotten/did not learn anything from what happened in the 1st season. Anything at all.

My hope for the 2nd cour/part is to be more focused, do not introduce any characters if they are not going to be involved in the story, develop Mikado as a character, & please try to refrain from dumping too much information.
I like anime.
Mar 29, 2015 12:00 AM

Mar 2010
Pat_To_Do-List said:
Mikado somehow had forgotten/did not learn anything from what happened in the 1st season. Anything at all.

Wait... what does Mikado deciding what kind of group he wants to the Dollars to be and what ultimately he has to do to evolve to become part of Ikebkuro's abnormalities have anything to do with last season? The half of the arc here was about his character development in coming to grips with his inner desires that was merely only touched upon a bit in ep 11 of s1.

Pat_To_Do-List said:

My hope for the 2nd cour/part is to be more focused, do not introduce any characters if they are not going to be involved in the story

If that's want you want then I then I don't think DRRR or any of Narita's adaptations are for you. Every character no matter how minor their part in story is important in DRRR. Every character has their own tale or role to play which may isolated at but eventually clash with others. Naritia is not a traditional writer, if you can't handle his style which always has an increasing cast don't watch the next season nor any adaptations of his following because it not going to change.
Iron_MawMar 29, 2015 1:49 AM
Mar 29, 2015 12:37 AM

Sep 2014
Jagd84 said:
Pat_To_Do-List said:

My hope for the 2nd cour/part is to be more focused, do not introduce any characters if they are not going to be involved in the story

If that's want you want then I then I don't think DRRR or any of Narita's adaptations are for you. Every character no matter how minor their part in story is important in DRRR. Every character has their own tale or role to play which may isolated at but eventually clash with others. Naritia is not a traditional writer, if you can't handle his style which always has an increasing cast don't watch the next season nor any adaptations of his following because it not going to change.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

Awesome season. Only thing that bothered me was the animation but the adaptation's still pretty loyal to the source. Heck, they even got my image of Varona spot-on. 9/10
Mar 29, 2015 12:42 AM

Aug 2011
All I can say is... Season 2 did not disappoint, and the ending, wow!!!!!! I don't know if I can hold off until July. It's gonna be a hellified 4 months waiting.

I wasn't too sure about new characters, but they literally stole the show.
Mar 29, 2015 12:58 AM
Nov 2013
bunny1ov3r said:

Izaya got stabbed, really remind me of Monogatari Series second season.

I actually thought the exaft same thing.

This was a very satisfying end to the first cour. So hyped for the next two <3

8/10
Mar 29, 2015 1:07 AM

Jun 2011
the pen stabbing part was awesome LMAO i didn't expect that at all ryuugamine's so twisted. he's a scary yandere.

OMG shizuo was awesome! kyaaaa~!

holy shit izaya...
Mar 29, 2015 1:32 AM
Jun 2014
Shizuo is hilarious, I love him! And Celty is beast. They make an awesome duo.
Kida I miss you! More screen time please!
And woahh. Looks like Izaya has some competition! Hang in there bb.
Things are getting interesting...
I guess we have to wait until July~
Nonetheless, I was happy to see DRRR again after Season 1
Mar 29, 2015 1:53 AM

Dec 2012
Jagd84 said:
Wait... what does Mikado deciding what kind of group he wants to the Dollars to be and what ultimately he has to do to evolve to become part of Ikebkuro's abnormalities have anything to do with last season? The half of the arc here was about his character development in coming to grips with his inner desires that was merely touched upon a bit in ep 11 of s1.

That's him deciding things, not developing. There's difference between character development & moving plot. He, as a character, is not developing at all. What's the difference between the current Mikado & the old Mikado? "Now he is much braver & bolder than ever." He has always been like that, but this time his bolder side is showed on a different conflict. What is the same about the current Mikado & the old one? He's still afraid to tell his friends about what kind of problem they are in because he does not want to make them worried. He's still hesitant asking the Dollar members for help(just like what he thought in the early 1st season) even though he did just that in the 1st season after he realized that he's not alone/he had the Dollars with him.

Jagd84 said:

Well, I enjoyed this season of Durarara!!, the 1st season, & Baccano!. So I will keep watching any of his works. Thank you for the warning.
But that was not the case in this part. I know, this is only the first part, but was it really necessary to introduce so many characters when they had zero involvement in the overall story? In the 1st season of Durarara!!, almost everyone had at least some kind of involvement in each arc. Even if they did not, they would have a meaningful involvement enough to the arc they were introduced in. Here? Not really. For example, the two weird Russians which one of them spat out some ice blocks right from his mouth for comedy purpose. So I am just hoping all of those characters that had been introduced in this cour will play some part in the next cour or the next after that.
I like anime.
Mar 29, 2015 2:27 AM

Mar 2010
Pat_To_Do-List said:

That's him deciding things, not developing. There's difference between character development & moving plot. He, as a character, is not developing at all. What's the difference between the current Mikado & the old Mikado? "Now he is much braver & bolder than ever." He has always been like that, but this time his bolder side is showed on a different conflict. What is the same about the current Mikado & the old one? He's still afraid to tell his friends about what kind of problem they are in because he does not want to make them worried. He's still hesitant asking the Dollar members for help(just like what he thought in the early 1st season) even though he did just that in the 1st season after he realized that he's not alone/he had the Dollars with him.

Wow... This post totally shows that you don't understand the kind of conflict Mikado was going through, at all. This problem isn't about some miscommunication, it's not about seeking help, it's about deciding the future of group for himself. Growth and character development is all about making decision after coming to an understanding about something after going through hardship and changing from it which is what he did. Everybody I've seen who have read or watch this arc easily understands this, but you.

Getting help to beat the Blue Squares or Toramaru solves him nothing. That's only a surface issue that has no bearing on what type of person is he wants to become to keep up with Dollars and Ikebukuro. Remember Mikado came to this city because he secretly likes it's chaotic environment and wants to be a part of that. That is whole reason why the Dollars existed to began with. He choose this path because he understands that idealism alone he once pursed cannot control something like the Dollars which is ultimately made up of factions.

From the epilogue of Vol 6 during the conversation between Mikado and Aoba

That's pretty stark change in attitude compare to first season where he didn't believe that Dollars shouldn't heavily influenced by one group or person.

In otherwords Mikado is planning to do something that other people like Kadota won't agree with nor can they do, to restore the Dollars to way he thinks it should be. Everyone else would just tell him to leave it be and become a normal person like Chikage does because they don't believe he can handle it. Which defeats the whole point of coming here at all.

Well, I enjoyed this season of Durarara!!, the 1st season, & Baccano!. So I will keep watching any of his works. Thank you for the warning.
But that was not the case in this part. I know, this is only the first part, but was it really necessary to introduce so many characters when they had zero involvement in the overall story? In the 1st season of Durarara!!, almost everyone had at least some kind of involvement in each arc. Even if they did not, they would have a meaningful involvement enough to the arc they were introduced in. Here? Not really. For example, the two weird Russians which one of them spat out some ice blocks right from his mouth for comedy purpose. So I am just hoping all of those characters that had been introduced in this cour will play some part in the next cour or the next after that.

Sorry, but this is your issue if you don't find a character meaningful. As some who actually read all of Naritia's works, how he handles his characters in what he writes is the same. Baccano has even more characters than DRRR, but everyone seen are usually find impressive how he able make every one play a role one way or another in all his stories despite the growing cast. That is his hallmark, if you can't deal well your free to drop it. That just the truth.

Basically you saying that Vorona and Slon weren't involved in what happened, means that you don't understand DRRR how every character fit into the first season either, like Kaztano, the foreign American woman Shiri, the Van gang, Haruna, Tom, Simon etc.
Iron_MawMar 29, 2015 3:12 AM
Mar 29, 2015 2:35 AM

Mar 2014
OMG this is great, a lot of things is going on and the 2nd second chapter will be more interesting

I can't wait for more of this
Mar 29, 2015 3:26 AM

Oct 2014
The animation and story is worse than in season 1. I really like the new characters though and we have 2 more seasons to come. Please don´t fuck it up.
Mar 29, 2015 4:11 AM

Dec 2012
Jagd84 said:
Wow... This post totally shows that you don't understand the kind of conflict Mikado was going through, at all. This problem isn't about some miscommunication, it's not about seeking help, it's about deciding the future of group for himself. Growth and character development is all about making decision after coming to an understanding about something after going through hardship and changing from it which is what he did. Everybody I've seen who have read or watch this arc easily understands this, but you.

Getting help to beat the Blue Squares or Toramaru solves him nothing. That's only a surface issue that has no bearing on what type of person is he wants to become to keep up with Dollars and Ikebukuro. Remember Mikado came to this city because he secretly likes it's chaotic environment and wants to be a part of that. That is whole reason why the Dollars existed to began with. He choose this path because he understands that idealism alone he once pursed cannot control something like the Dollars which is ultimately made up of factions.

From the epilogue of Vol 6 during the conversation between Mikado and Aoba

That's pretty stark change in attitude compare to first season where he didn't believe that Dollars shouldn't heavily influenced by one group or person.

In otherwords Mikado is planning to do something that other people like Kadota won't agree with nor can they do, to restore the Dollars to way he thinks it should be. Everyone else would just tell him to leave it be and become a normal person like Chikage does because they don't believe he can handle it. Which defeats the whole point of coming here at all.

I understand what he has been through & what kind of problem he had to overcome. From how he did not know what to do with the Dollars to how to control the Dollars without establishing any rules. The problem here is he is progressing through all of the problems without a single character development. He is like in auto pilot, just plowing through every problem without learning anything from any of them. Look, you have to differentiate between character development & plot progression. What you have been talking about is Mikado as a character overcoming his problems, not character development. You have been talking about the storyline, not a character development. Character development is when a character learning something new & take that new thing to change his reaction to the problems he's facing. So in order to developing a character there needs to be a change on how he views/reacts to something. So, is he changing(apart from how his views on how to control the Dollars)?

You got it wrong there. As we learned from the 1st season, Mikado asked the Dollars for help to do certain things. So in other word, he learned that he can ask the Dollars to help him. Because in the end he is the founding father of the Dollars, so of course at least some of the members respect his decision/his call for help. Then, in this season, he once again faced a problem where he could easily ask the Dollars to help him in a certain way(not helping him beat up the Blue Squares). Maybe at least try to clear the confusion about what's happening between the Dollars & the white motorbike gang. Did he ask anything from the Dollars after he learned he could ask them for help in this season? No. Why? There's no explanation for this.

I give you that. That is a character development. But after all this time & the only thing changed from him is that one thing is not that good of a character development. He should have learned from many things & changed so much yet he is not. That's disappointing.

Jagd84 said:
Sorry, but this is your issue if you don't find a character meaningful. As some who actually read all of Naritia's works, how he handles his characters in what he writes is the same. Baccano has even more characters than DRRR, but everyone seen are usually find impressive how he able make every one play a role one way or another in all his stories despite the growing cast. That is his hallmark, if you can't deal well your free to drop it. That just the truth.

Basically you saying that Vorona and Slon weren't involved in what happened, means that you don't understand DRRR how every character fit into the first season either, like Kaztano, the foreign American woman Shiri, the Van gang, Haruna, Tom, Simon etc.

Well, maybe in the novels they are all the same. But in the anime adaptations? Are the characters handled the same? It's different. Like I said, the new characters in this season of Durarara!! were not handled as well as the 1st season or Baccano!. Was it different entirely? Not really. It had the same formula but with different quality to it.
Me too. I was impressed with Baccano!, but not with this. Like I said, maybe it's because this is just the 1st cour out of 3 cours. So my view on this could change. Do not worry. And just to clear things up since it seems like you react so negatively to everything I said, I like Narita's style of writing. I really do. And please keep in mind that this is my view on this season of Durarara!! as someone who enjoyed all of the anime adaptation of Narita's works. I am not trying to attack anyone or anything really.

What? What are you talking about? I never said anything about that. Again, you react so negatively towards my criticism. Let me clear things up, those two weird Russians(not Vorona & Slon) just there spat out a tiny bit of exposition about Vorona & that's it. Those two characters could easily be removed & it will not change a thing. Vorona's backstory could still be explained by the Russian sushi guy. And about those two weird Russians involvement? There's already an explanation about those two on the conversation between the Russian sushi guys & the other Russian who got punched by Shizuo. So their introduction in that particular scene was not needed because in the end they were not involved in anything meaningful in this season. Yes, they were involved indirectly, but that's it.
I like anime.
Mar 29, 2015 4:53 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Imperial_Thunder said:
6/10. Pretty all over the place and didn't really get its act together till towards the end.

Glad Izaya got stabbed, his smugness can get irritating.

My thoughts exactly. I hope the second part of the season has a tighter plot focus. The jumping from one act to another works well if you have your eye on the ball (Baccano and the first season of DRR do this brilliantly BTW) But sometimes I got the feeling they didn't know where they were going with things.

And yeah, Izaya can be pretty irritating (don't get the MAL love for smug and condescending characters). But more than being stabbed by a third party, I just want Shizuo to land a good solid punch on his face for once. That would be delicious.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 29, 2015 5:14 AM

Sep 2010
THE HYPE IS REAL NOW. Also haha Izaya serves you right
Mar 29, 2015 5:15 AM
Mar 2015
Mikado finally revealed to the world how scary he can get!
Shizuo really fucked that kidnapper up. Straight up bone snap, damn.
And Izaya. Ooooh Izaya. Finally realised he's not so omnipotent.

And Anri reaaaally seemed to like that groping from Erika XD

Loved this season overall. 9/10
Mar 29, 2015 5:19 AM

Jan 2014
Mikado haha you're so cold.
and Izaya's so fucked up right now
Mar 29, 2015 6:01 AM

Mar 2010
Pat_To_Do-List said:

I understand what he has been through & what kind of problem he had to overcome. From how he did not know what to do with the Dollars to how to control the Dollars without establishing any rules. The problem here is he is progressing through all of the problems without a single character development. He is like in auto pilot, just plowing through every problem without learning anything from any of them. Look, you have to differentiate between character development & plot progression. What you have been talking about is Mikado as a character overcoming his problems, not character development. You have been talking about the storyline, not a character development. Character development is when a character learning something new & take that new thing to change his reaction to the problems he's facing. So in order to developing a character there needs to be a change on how he views/reacts to something. So, is he changing(apart from how his views on how to control the Dollars)?

You got it wrong there. As we learned from the 1st season, Mikado asked the Dollars for help to do certain things. So in other word, he learned that he can ask the Dollars to help him. Because in the end he is the founding father of the Dollars, so of course at least some of the members respect his decision/his call for help. Then, in this season, he once again faced a problem where he could easily ask the Dollars to help him in a certain way(not helping him beat up the Blue Squares). Maybe at least try to clear the confusion about what's happening between the Dollars & the white motorbike gang. Did he ask anything from the Dollars after he learned he could ask them for help in this season? No. Why? There's no explanation for this.

I give you that. That is a character development. But after all this time & the only thing changed from him is that one thing is not that good of a character development. He should have learned from many things & changed so much yet he is not. That's disappointing.

Again, you seem not really understand what's going on and why things happened the way they did. Alright first off Mikado never asked Dollars for help in s1 ever, he can't ask the Dollars for help. He is not the leader of the group so he can't go around giving orders, only suggestions. Mikado can only manipulate like he did when tricked them into holding a meeting to comfort Name. Second, Blue Square are the Dollars members, no different from Kadota or Shizuo. Furthermore what they have done is entirely valid even if self-serving because it based on ideals Mikado himself has set forth. Now it up to him to decide if Dollars are worth keeping in spite of that so there is no confusion to clear. Nobody can help here in any meaningful way, because his conflict is the Dollars itself on ideological level. The things that happened in s1 has nothing what's going on here at all. You merely bring up something superfacial that wouldn't change anything because nobody really views the Dollars in the same way Mikado does. Nor can they because they do not have the history he has with it. Sure Mikado is type of person to shoulder the burden of others, but it's really not what this is about here.

Well, maybe in the novels they are all the same. But in the anime adaptations? Are the characters handled the same? It's different. Like I said, the new characters in this season of Durarara!! were not handled as well as the 1st season or Baccano!. Was it different entirely? Not really. It had the same formula but with different quality to it.

Anime follows the novels more or less give or take a few things. Nobody that exist in this show (maybe save for Rio) would not be here without appearing in the novels first. I'm not seeing any differences here or ones with any real meaning.

What? What are you talking about? I never said anything about that. Again, you react so negatively towards my criticism. Let me clear things up, those two weird Russians(not Vorona & Slon) just there spat out a tiny bit of exposition about Vorona & that's it. Those two characters could easily be removed & it will not change a thing. Vorona's backstory could still be explained by the Russian sushi guy. And about those two weird Russians involvement? There's already an explanation about those two on the conversation between the Russian sushi guys & the other Russian who got punched by Shizuo. So their introduction in that particular scene was not needed because in the end they were not involved in anything meaningful in this season. Yes, they were involved indirectly, but that's it.

Haruna could have been removed from the story and somebody else could have taken her place because Saika's host could have been anybody. Mika could have been removed from the story and her role given to somebody else because it didn't need to be her due to plastic surgery. Simon could have been replace by a regular Sushi chief for all he does. This is the cyclic argument your going through doesn't work because it can be applied to 90% of cast outside Cetly, Mikado, Shizuo, Izaya, and Shinra. This why I say you don't get DRRR. This show about strange people for who know where interacting and causing chaos, whether it's for their agenda or anothers. It doesn't matter whether they're a re 2 bit crook or a politician. They contribute to the plot in some way. Russians were working directly for one of antagonists of this arc as well as various factions so they are involved in this mess no matter what you say. That is the fact.

Vorona's past important to understand her character and why she is the way she is. It's the very same reason you got backstory on Shizuo, Akane or anybody else. You don't need see any of them further to the plot, but that would be dumb and serve to make everyone less interesting. DRRR afterall about it's characters and their interactions. My post is not being defensive, it's just that your criticism has holes that contradict how DRRR has been. I'm only telling you how it is and that every character will be handled the same way, just they were since the novels and anime began.
Iron_MawMar 29, 2015 6:11 AM
Mar 29, 2015 6:18 AM

Oct 2014
Well Shizu being badass as always and everybody is getting stabbed (Even with a pen omg twisted mikado). Cant wait for july!
why
Mar 29, 2015 6:28 AM

May 2013
So, we can feel now the part where every character is put on a tight situation huh? But dat Shizuo development.

AND THAT BALLPEN SCENE. I HAD TO WATCH IT TWICE BECAUSE OF MIKADO (and Aoba ofc)

Ohhhh Izaya :o 8/10 Excited for Ten on July!
The world shall know the truth soon.
Mar 29, 2015 6:38 AM

Dec 2014
Ryugamine accepting to be the leader of Blue Squares and Izaya got stabbed at the end, will have to wait till July to see what happens next.

Overall 8/10
Mar 29, 2015 6:52 AM

Nov 2011
Yay, somebody put some kickass on that over prideful Izaya, can't wait for July.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Mar 29, 2015 7:04 AM

Jul 2012
Awesome season finale. Look forward to seeing what happens in July. Pretty satisfying cliffhanger we were left on too haha!
Mar 29, 2015 7:06 AM
Apr 2014
Can't say I'm happy about Mikados decision. Blue Square were big troublemakers before. Why does he think it would be a good idea to "resurrect" let alone lead them?

I was surprised Vorona got caught so easily. Those two didn't even notice the guy sitting right next to them. Kinda sad considering how powerful she was portrayed before. Still fun to watch how easily she got taken out.

The end was unexpected. There are actually people who realize Izaya fucks with the city a bit too much and manage to silence him? And then they just end it with him lying on the ground...

Now we have to wait :( Luckily just one season but it still will be hard.

oh nearly forgot about the beginning. It really hurt to see that arm after Shizuo hit it. Since when was Durarara like this. I can't remember seeing a bone outside of any body yet. Not that I mind it. Just a bit unexpected. And what the fuck was Erika doing with Anri :D Luckily for Anri Kadota stopped her. Always fun to see her ridiculous actions though xD
Mar 29, 2015 7:16 AM

Mar 2008
Mikado just got more interesting for me, can't wait to see which direction this is going to and Shizuo was awesome as always ~ 8/10
CreulaMar 29, 2015 7:19 AM
Mar 29, 2015 8:14 AM

Aug 2014
For the first time I see Shizuo-kun so friendly with someone, and Izaya-kun is really in trouble. Well I hope he doesn't die. I can be the main point of all troubles in Ikebukuro, but I don't think we can get a good story without him... ;)
Also I'm very impressed with the new attitude of Micado-kun, making a contract with the Blue Spears.. Sugoi! Now rest only wait for three months to see the 2nd Chapter of this big story. ^.^
Maloween 2017
Main Candies
Mar 29, 2015 8:24 AM
Jan 2013
MOTM of this Anime: Heiwajima Shizuo.
He's just perfect.
Mar 29, 2015 8:52 AM

Sep 2014
Now THIS was what I call a great ending. I didn't expect Izaya getting stabbed liked that in the end. :D

Hopefully the 2nd cour will be even better. Can't wait for July.
Mar 29, 2015 9:16 AM

Oct 2010
For ME it was a masterpiece even with the crappy animation, i enjoyed every minute of the show.
Mar 29, 2015 9:25 AM

Aug 2011
heavylobsterguy said:
Shizuo is still the best character in this show and Izaya finally got his shit pushed. Pretty content with that. But l still found this season to be kind of mediocre overall so l can't say l'm too motivated to continue watching the next seasons. It'd be nice if future seasons were way more focused than this one. There were quite a few new characters introduced with little relevance here. Not to say that they won't be relevant in the future, but there are characters from the first season that were pretty much non-existant here so I don't much hope for these new guys. l would still prefer a smaller more focused cast as opposed to this big huge one since that would get rid of my problem, but oh well.

This, basically.

» Escapism.

Mar 29, 2015 9:32 AM

Dec 2012
Jagd84 said:
Again, you seem not really understand what's going on and why things happened the way they did. Alright first off Mikado never asked Dollars for help in s1 ever, he can't ask the Dollars for help. He is not the leader of the group so he can't go around giving orders, only suggestions. Mikado can only manipulate like he did when tricked them into holding a meeting to comfort Name. Second, Blue Square are the Dollars members, no different from Kadota or Shizuo. Furthermore what they have done is entirely valid even if self-serving because it based on ideals Mikado himself has set forth. Now it up to him to decide if Dollars are worth keeping in spite of that so there is no confusion to clear. Nobody can help here in any meaningful way, because his conflict is the Dollars itself on ideological level. The things that happened in s1 has nothing what's going on here at all. You merely bring up something superfacial that wouldn't change anything because nobody really views the Dollars in the same way Mikado does. Nor can they because they do not have the history he has with it. Sure Mikado is type of person to shoulder the burden of others, but it's really not what this is about here.

Again, I do understand.
So then why couldn't he "manipulate" the Dollars members to help him in this 2nd season then?
Couldn't he at least tell the other members what's actually happening? At least? No? He knew he could, but he did not do it. And there's no confusion to clear? There's definitely a confusion to clear. Even Kadota was confused on what's happening. Mikado had the privilege as the founder to say things in the Dollars forum & to be heard by other members with higher respect. Even in the 1st season some of the member clearly asked for the founder to at least speak/tell them something to do when there's a conflict between the Dollars & the Yellow Scarves. Unfortunately, he did not learn from that.
Well, this is a sequel. So to say what happened in the first season has nothing to do with the 2nd season is unfathomable.
Forgive me, but I do not understand what you are trying to say about Mikado's view on the Dollars is different compared to others & how he shoulder the burden of others. We are talking about Mikado & his lack of development, not his view or anything you are talking about. I bring up his view on the Dollars because you bring it up for a proof of his development.

Jagd84 said:
Anime follows the novels more or less give or take a few things. Nobody that exist in this show (maybe save for Rio) would not be here without appearing in the novels first. I'm not seeing any differences here or ones with any real meaning.

I am talking about how the anime adaptation handled the characters, not whether there were new characters/characters from the novel removed in the anime adaptation.

Jagd84 said:
Haruna could have been removed from the story and somebody else could have taken her place because Saika's host could have been anybody. Mika could have been removed from the story and her role given to somebody else because it didn't need to be her due to plastic surgery. Simon could have been replace by a regular Sushi chief for all he does. This is the cyclic argument your going through doesn't work because it can be applied to 90% of cast outside Cetly, Mikado, Shizuo, Izaya, and Shinra. This why I say you don't get DRRR. This show about strange people for who know where interacting and causing chaos, whether it's for their agenda or anothers. It doesn't matter whether they're a re 2 bit crook or a politician. They contribute to the plot in some way. Russians were working directly for one of antagonists of this arc as well as various factions so they are involved in this mess no matter what you say. That is the fact.

Vorona's past important to understand her character and why she is the way she is. It's the very same reason you got backstory on Shizuo, Akane or anybody else. You don't need see any of them further to the plot, but that would be dumb and serve to make everyone less interesting. DRRR afterall about it's characters and their interactions. My post is not being defensive, it's just that your criticism has holes that contradict how DRRR has been. I'm only telling you how it is and that every character will be handled the same way, just they were since the novels and anime began.

That's not the point. The point is those two Russians did not need any screen time in this cour because in the end they did not serve any purpose except for comic relieve & explaining some things about Vorona. I think it's better to just remove their scene & just mentioned their existence in the world in some conversation(& they did mentioned in some conversations). Then, if they are going to serve any purpose than those in the next cour please do give them some screentime. As for this cour, it's unnecessary.

I did not say Vorona's past is unimportant. What? See, you are interpreting my post so negatively. Please do not do that. What I was trying to say is some Vorona's backstory that was explained by those two Russians did not have to be explained by them specifically. The backstory could have just incorporated in the Vorona's backstory that was told by Simon.

Then please show it to me that you are not being defensive. Thank you.
I like anime.
Mar 29, 2015 10:05 AM

Apr 2009
Nice final ep for this cour, no big cliffhangers (Izaya, who? yeeeah, not a fan). Only immediate crit is the boob grab scene; that's disturbing no matter who does it, fanservice or not.
Mar 29, 2015 10:42 AM

Jun 2009
This is why Shizuo is my favorite!

I want to feel bad for Izaya but I can't....just dislike him so much. Happy he got stabbed but I'm sure he'll be ok and come back.

Vorona thought she could play with the big boys but thought wrong.

And really there was no point in having Kida in here. Didn't have an impact at all expect for Izaya hanging up on him while standing on a roof saying he doesn't like to get laughed at (that was funny). Maybe he'll actually play a role in summer story line.

Can't wait for July!
Mar 29, 2015 11:28 AM

Jan 2014
bunny1ov3r said:
Wow Shizu is so awesome, like a badass

Anri = Flame Haze, lol

Is Mikado's true nature starting to surface, split personality?

Izaya got stabbed, really remind me of Monogatari Series second season.

Gotta agree Shizou going rampage is awesome, I find it awkward how he gets injured and that does not flinch him in the least.

I bet there were plenty LN references here from the otaku duo that I did not get, but alas I can sorta figure more or less where it goes and it makes me laugh.

That Mikado switch flip was interesting, I guess there is a lot more under the surface eh?

Those Yakuza were badass. I wouldn't dare say Sloan and Vorona are completelly outclassed since fundamentally speaking they were ambushed and outnumbered.

And lastly about Jinnai, you can truly guess when somebody is insanely dangerous when you outsmart Izaya like nothing, now how will he strike back I wonder.
Mar 29, 2015 1:46 PM
Sep 2012
Why couldn't Aldnoah Zero's second season be like this?

This was a great second season and a great finale!
It reminded me of everything I love about Durarara!! right from the music, to the characters, and to the intrigue. Seriously though! All those developments towards the end of the episode got me so hooked for chapter two!
I don't think there's anything else I can say about how good this show was.
Mar 29, 2015 2:01 PM
Jul 2018
Shizou is so badass!! I would've enjoyed to see more Celty in this episode though. Omg Vorona got taken out quickly, I thought she'll be harder to defeat than this. I knew Mikado had a dark side and it was nice finally seeing it.

Best part Izaya getting stabbed, man I was waiting for this.

There were boring parts in this season and others that were fun, the animation was terrible almost constantly though. I want to see season 3 just to know more about the guy who stabbed Izaya and to see what Mikado will do next.
Mar 29, 2015 3:27 PM

Jan 2008
Aoba and Izaya, two people that I hated the most in the series, both gets stabbed in the same episode!? My day just got a whole lot better.

That hand stabbing was the highlight of the episode for me, so much that I replayed the scene several times. It seems Mikado is the type of person that is innately kind, yet at the same time, he's also the type that can switch faces drastically. He went from serious neutral, to violently angry, to smiling apologetically within the span of less than a minute. So he's bipolar?

Mikado's symptoms of Bipolar Disorder: having hypomania when abnormal things happen in Ikebukuro, experiencing great joy. Being irritable after deciding he needed to do something with what he started, shaking and stuttering when confronting the thugs before being beat up. Experiencing depression at his inability to do anything without power, and breaks down in this episode crying. And finally, showing erratic behavior when he stabs Aoba out of nowhere in a fit of anger (although likely planned, unless Mikado regularly keeps medical supplies in his bag).

Estoy_GordoMar 29, 2015 3:31 PM
Mar 29, 2015 3:44 PM

Mar 2010
Pat_To_Do-List said:

Again, I do understand.
So then why couldn't he "manipulate" the Dollars members to help him in this 2nd season then?
Couldn't he at least tell the other members what's actually happening? At least? No? He knew he could, but he did not do it. And there's no confusion to clear? There's definitely a confusion to clear. Even Kadota was confused on what's happening. Mikado had the privilege as the founder to say things in the Dollars forum & to be heard by other members with higher respect. Even in the 1st season some of the member clearly asked for the founder to at least speak/tell them something to do when there's a conflict between the Dollars & the Yellow Scarves. Unfortunately, he did not learn from that.
Well, this is a sequel. So to say what happened in the first season has nothing to do with the 2nd season is unfathomable.
Forgive me, but I do not understand what you are trying to say about Mikado's view on the Dollars is different compared to others & how he shoulder the burden of others. We are talking about Mikado & his lack of development, not his view or anything you are talking about. I bring up his view on the Dollars because you bring it up for a proof of his development.

No you don't. if you understood then you wouldn't be bringing up this nonsense about "trust" and tying to Mikado's development, because it has nothing to do with it. If Mikado outting BS earlier would have solved everything then he would have then their offer earlier and brought them Chikage himself . There no need for a middle man. Guess what? That doesn't solve the issue that a lot of the Dollars on are filled with people like that, and that BS is just one of many. Chikage also wants the leader of the Dollars take the responsibility not some underlings because that is how he believes a real gang does things. Furthermore as earlier the BS are Dollars members, it' means just Mikado feels responsibility for them, just any of Dollars actions,. This never would have happened in the first if the Dollars were not their were they are due to Mikado making them that way. That core of issue, not some stupid notion about trust. That only applied to Dollars and Yellow Scarves conflict because that was how Izaya was manipulating everyone.

What Aoba and Izaya tried to do manipulate here was Mikado's sense responsibility and the very concept of the group. Kadota doesn't damn if other Dollar members are go around picking fights with others, that is just what group with no rules, restrictions, leadership and whatnot does. So that means the Dollars can be heroes or villains depending on circumstance, but nobody polices eachother. It's people just hope that most members do the right thing.

I seriously suggest you re-watch the series again at some point to get idea what the inter-conflict is about.

I am talking about how the anime adaptation handled the characters, not whether there were new characters/characters from the novel removed in the anime adaptation.

Okay your really being vague here. I said that novels and anime handle the characters the same, this part pointless.

That's not the point. The point is those two Russians did not need any screen time in this cour because in the end they did not serve any purpose except for comic relieve & explaining some things about Vorona. I think it's better to just remove their scene & just mentioned their existence in the world in some conversation(& they did mentioned in some conversations). Then, if they are going to serve any purpose than those in the next cour please do give them some screentime. As for this cour, it's unnecessary.

I did not say Vorona's past is unimportant. What? See, you are interpreting my post so negatively. Please do not do that. What I was trying to say is some Vorona's backstory that was explained by those two Russians did not have to be explained by them specifically. The backstory could have just incorporated in the Vorona's backstory that was told by Simon.

And I saying that sound really really dumb, because you can do this any character in show. The only unimportant people are those who do not have role and that does not exist here. Otherwise those people wouldn't be in the story at all.

Then please show it to me that you are not being defensive. Thank you.

Because your criticism is flawed and literally contradicts itsellf and how the characters DRRR are work in the plot. You not be saying of this if actually understood how Nartia's writing actually worked.
Iron_MawMar 29, 2015 4:04 PM
Mar 29, 2015 4:04 PM
Dec 2013
Seeing Shizuo kicking the car like a football was just awesome. And looks like Izaya got stabbed. :O

Looking forward to the next cour.
Mar 29, 2015 5:00 PM

Jul 2011
KAPOW! THE PEN RIGHT IN THE HAND! Didn't see that coming.
Mar 29, 2015 5:12 PM

Aug 2010
Omg, Shizuo was even more awesome in this season. Easily stole this episode. Shizuo is a one man army. Liked the Shizuo x Akane moment.

Was really shocked to see Izaya get stabbed. Pretty excited for the second core.
Ragna92Mar 29, 2015 5:19 PM
Mar 29, 2015 5:55 PM

Oct 2011
Love this cour as much the first season. The characterization aspect was great.
Mikado actually starting to show his dangerous side was cool. Liking Shizuo even more, him being good with kids(Akane) gets a plus point, in fact he was the highlight of this cour for me <3 Was also nice to see Izaya's personality more in line with the novel, can't wait to see more! The yuri bits were also awesome.

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Durarara!!x2 Shou Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - Jan 31, 2015

171 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 10:24 PM

Poll: » Durarara!!x2 Shou Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 10, 2015

371 by Karva1 »»
Apr 20, 9:32 PM

Poll: » Durarara!!x2 Shou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2015

207 by Rithic »»
Aug 7, 2023 4:40 PM

Poll: » Durarara!!x2 Shou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2015

124 by corvKa »»
Mar 27, 2023 7:12 PM

Poll: » Durarara!!x2 Shou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2015

123 by corvKa »»
Mar 27, 2023 6:43 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.