Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »
Jan 12, 2015 3:45 PM

Sep 2011
barabara said:
In this show, it is strongly implied that the outcomes are not equal, one is definitely good and the other one is bad, represented by smiling mask and frowning mask.

I agree with this. Symbolism is a thing, you know. If the void was not supposed to be perceived as a negative outcome, then they would not use an evil looking mask to symbolize it. Logically, that would not make sense.

Whether or not each route is truly negative is a different story. That part varies based on perspective. However, very rarely would anyone pursue the direction of the void, regardless of circumstance. Let's say you had a completely horrible life. Nothing worked out for you and you died an unfair death. It's likely that you'd wish to live again, in a different life. Let's say you had a great life, and everything went well for you. You died happy. Even then you would want to live again and hopefully experience great things once more. Even if you're reincarnated as a human, insect, bird, or hell, even a barnacle, life is life. Living is perceived as a good thing.
Jan 12, 2015 5:13 PM

Apr 2008
Wow the OP is all sorts of epic!!! Loved the episode too and what a treat for the eyes!!!!!!!!!
Jan 12, 2015 5:27 PM

Nov 2014
Wow, this was incredible. I loved it. My heart was racing the entire time wondering who was gonna win and what was gonna happen to both. O_O

This totally reminds me of an anime version of the movie series "SAW" which is one of my favorite movie series ever. I guess the only difference is that they're already dead here and I guess the bartender decides where they go based on their actions during the game or something? Cause if she won and she went to the void and he went into the reincarnation...well we'll find out soon enough! Can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 12, 2015 5:37 PM

Jan 2015
Satire said:
barabara said:
In this show, it is strongly implied that the outcomes are not equal, one is definitely good and the other one is bad, represented by smiling mask and frowning mask.

I agree with this. Symbolism is a thing, you know. If the void was not supposed to be perceived as a negative outcome, then they would not use an evil looking mask to symbolize it. Logically, that would not make sense.

Whether or not each route is truly negative is a different story. That part varies based on perspective. However, very rarely would anyone pursue the direction of the void, regardless of circumstance. Let's say you had a completely horrible life. Nothing worked out for you and you died an unfair death. It's likely that you'd wish to live again, in a different life. Let's say you had a great life, and everything went well for you. You died happy. Even then you would want to live again and hopefully experience great things once more. Even if you're reincarnated as a human, insect, bird, or hell, even a barnacle, life is life. Living is perceived as a good thing.

1) It's like you're deliberately refusing to accept the fact that the Hanya/demon mask has nothing to do with the Void or Hell, and that the Deigan/white mask represents a person becoming a monster.

2) You saying "life is life" is severely oversimplifying it. As is saying that JUST because life is seen as a good thing, in general, that also applies specifically to Shinto and Buddhism....because it doesn't. Reincarnation is a negative, or lesser, outcome in Buddhism when compared to the Void and Heaven.

Also, life as a bird, insect, barnacle and human are all severely different things and experiences, with several aspects and circumstances to consider. How could anyone even compare all those lifestyles in a general sense as "life is life"?
Jan 12, 2015 6:48 PM

Aug 2014
This is a really nice contrast to everything else airing this season. The psychological aspexts of yhe show are really intense. The OP was kind of put there, but cool none the less
Be like this seal. It is a happy seal.
~Review Guidelines~ | ~Recommendation Guidelines~ | ~Mafia Society~
Jan 12, 2015 8:18 PM

Aug 2014
This is good. This is good. Holy shit. Hoooooly shiiiiiit. That was so intense. I swear to God. The plot twists were amazing.

High expectations for this one. That was an absolutely EPIC opening to this anime.
Jan 12, 2015 8:36 PM

Nov 2012
The anime blew my expectation halfway through the episode when I was almost convinced that that there was nothing more than just some lame excuse for a psychological anime. I can be sure that this anime just might save winter season anime.
Jan 12, 2015 9:06 PM

Sep 2011
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
1) It's like you're deliberately refusing to accept the fact that the Hanya/demon mask has nothing to do with the Void or Hell, and that the Deigan/white mask represents a person becoming a monster.

2) You saying "life is life" is severely oversimplifying it. As is saying that JUST because life is seen as a good thing, in general, that also applies specifically to Shinto and Buddhism....because it doesn't. Reincarnation is a negative, or lesser, outcome in Buddhism when compared to the Void and Heaven.

Also, life as a bird, insect, barnacle and human are all severely different things and experiences, with several aspects and circumstances to consider. How could anyone even compare all those lifestyles in a general sense as "life is life"?

1. Did you even watch the epilogue for episode one? It's like you're deliberately refusing to accept the fact that it's said where each of them went as the cameras pan up to the masks. In case you didn't know, things that are done in shows can have different meanings and interpretations from reality. This isn't some kind of non-fiction work, where the white mask must symbolize becoming a monster from it's real world meaning. The white mask, just from appearances does not look like an evil mask. The real, historic story behind the masks may be as you say, but they are apparently not used that way in Death Billiards/Death Parade. By your logic, the Fate series is completely full of shit because King Arthur was a man, whereas Sabre, who is King Arthur in the series, is a woman.

Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Of course I'm oversimplifying it. I'm not going to write an essay on why being alive is a great thing. The idea of being a living being, regardless of whatever being you may be, is generally perceived as good. The alternative to being a living being is being dead. Nobody really has a desire to be dead, since all living organisms have biological instincts for the desire to survive and pass down their genetics. Do you think it's desirable to have no conscious awareness of self? Reincarnation being a negative, lesser outcome compared to Heaven I could easily agree with. The concept of heaven is basically an afterlife utopia. The void, by definition, is emptiness. There is no religion that is completely reasonable. If Shinto and Buddhism say that reincarnation is worse than the void, I'd be inclined to disagree.
Jan 12, 2015 9:30 PM

Jan 2009
The problem with reincarnation is that all your memory gets wiped. Even your genetics are wiped. What are we if not our memories and dispositions? If you think about it, there's really no difference between reincarnation and void.

This anime brings me back to my high school philosophical days.
Jan 12, 2015 11:33 PM

Sep 2011
BiddingGortonio said:
The problem with reincarnation is that all your memory gets wiped. Even your genetics are wiped. What are we if not our memories and dispositions? If you think about it, there's really no difference between reincarnation and void.

It's not so much about your past life. Even if you're reincarnated, which would mean no memories of your past life, at least you still exist. The void is literally nothing. You have no consciousness; you just disappear completely. Is existence worse than being nothing?
Jan 13, 2015 12:18 AM

Mar 2013
If i would have ask to describe this episode in one world i would
have say: Disturbing, so many plot twist in just 1 episode.
I was cheering the women at start thinking the man just
losing it then at the end.....
7/10 for now if they keep it this way i will sure to rank it up.
Jan 13, 2015 2:43 AM

Oct 2010
Awesome, that bitch got what she deserved, lol. Well, not entirely, she got off easy, now that I think about it. Well, maybe not, she is going to the garbage pile. Either way, the dude should have had complementary bonus darts awarded to him.
Jan 13, 2015 5:01 AM

Dec 2013
babymilo91 said:
This was a good episode. Okay just to clarify, the woman really was having an affair right?
I believe so because she was sent to the void he said. Even I am not 100% on this myself.
Jan 13, 2015 7:49 AM

May 2010
This got an anime, hell yeah I was quite fond of that OVa. Lovely OP plus Elsa , I am sold.

What an execution... To think there would be 12 more episodes like this, this is going to be awesome.

10/10, finally something truly epic in a dark way. Been waiting for this for so long.
Jan 13, 2015 8:18 AM

Jan 2015
Satire said:
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

1. Did you even watch the epilogue for episode one? It's like you're deliberately refusing to accept the fact that it's said where each of them went as the cameras pan up to the masks. In case you didn't know, things that are done in shows can have different meanings and interpretations from reality. This isn't some kind of non-fiction work, where the white mask must symbolize becoming a monster from it's real world meaning. The white mask, just from appearances does not look like an evil mask. The real, historic story behind the masks may be as you say, but they are apparently not used that way in Death Billiards/Death Parade. By your logic, the Fate series is completely full of shit because King Arthur was a man, whereas Sabre, who is King Arthur in the series, is a woman.

Makaze_no_Moujuu said:

Of course I'm oversimplifying it. I'm not going to write an essay on why being alive is a great thing. The idea of being a living being, regardless of whatever being you may be, is generally perceived as good. The alternative to being a living being is being dead. Nobody really has a desire to be dead, since all living organisms have biological instincts for the desire to survive and pass down their genetics. Do you think it's desirable to have no conscious awareness of self? Reincarnation being a negative, lesser outcome compared to Heaven I could easily agree with. The concept of heaven is basically an afterlife utopia. The void, by definition, is emptiness. There is no religion that is completely reasonable. If Shinto and Buddhism say that reincarnation is worse than the void, I'd be inclined to disagree.

1) Wow, so basically you are taking the white, non-demon looking mask at face value? That's the irony of the Deigan; it looks unsuspecting, but it represents humanity changing into something less humane. This is a psychological anime, that CLEARLY implores a lot of misdirection and omission to deceive the audience; nothing is to be taken at face value. If it was as simple as the demon mask = negative destination, and the human mask = positive destination, then why pick masks that so blatantly have NOTHING to do with Heaven, Hell, Void and Reincarnation? Generic masks would've sufficed. You could could come at me and say that maybe the Deigan and Hanya masks are just to make us over analyze, but the show is the one that brought up four different outcomes, and switches the masks when two people arrive and exit. Also, the show chooses to depict the characters a certain way that happens to fall in line with the descriptions of those masks.

In the OVA, the guy who cheated on his significant other, and then attacked the old man during the game, got the Deigan mask. If you're saying that the wife getting the Hanya mask = bad, because she cheated, than that doesn't fit what we've already seen or what you're trying to argue. In BOTH the OVA and the anime, the person who both perpetrated the failing of his living relationship (and their life), and attacked the other person in the bar with them got the Deigan mask, and both characters at least fit the barest of criteria: becoming/behaving like a monster via attacking, or even attempting to kill the other person.

Those with the Hanya mask were BOTH people that accepted their fates, but held regret over a not being able to spend their last moments with the one they loved: for the old man, it was not being able to eat pickles with his wife again, like he expressed, and for Machiko, it was the Takashi she was with before the marriage. Neither expressed any natural ingenuity in their character, or any held any malice, or grudge, like those who held the Deigan mask on exit.

2) Here, I guess we can agree to disagree because this about different religions and how different people of different religions, or just people with different viewpoints, see other beliefs. I'm just going by the obvious Shinto and Buddhist influences that show abundantly clear in this anime.

IMO, life is not just life, and seeing life to just be a general positive thing, is not only oversimplifying, but also just straight naive. I'm certain that North Koreans don't see their life a positive experience, same goes for women in the Middle East, people who fail to escape Cuban, people born in poverty all over the world, people forced to marry people they don't love, or even know at times, etc; going back Not saying that not everyone in the world, in those circumstances, can't feel happy about what they got, but to just assume life is great because it's being alive is naive to me.

It's furthered by the fact that the prospect of reincarnation means being brought back as non-humans, like animals, bugs, bacteria, plants and even demons, or apparitions, like hungry ghosts. The severe majority of people given the option of coming back as a bug, the thing many of us humans step on subconsciously, because a lot of us don't even consider their lives anything of consequence, would choose not to be revived as that. We can bring up the fact that we won't be the same person, or have the same mind, when revived, but that doesn't mean that this new being we become will live a happy, or positive life. Reincarnation is seen as good thing, because it brings up the prospect of being able to live life the way we'd want to, or not make the same mistakes, but that only assuming that we get revived again as a human, and even then it depends on the circumstances, the society, the family, etc we'd be reborn in. That doesn't even include all the other things we could be brought back in, and all the aspects and circumstances that those lives take into account.

Regardless, let's hoe this series eventually shows us what the destinations had in store for at least some of these characters.
Makaze_no_MoujuuJan 13, 2015 9:58 AM
Jan 13, 2015 11:33 AM

Jul 2012
Forgot to post this lol.

First things first... That was even better than I expected it to be. Wow. I can't help but praise every aspect of this episode. It was done right and in the best possible way.

My only concern is that I'd rather they leave us off with a more ambiguous ending rather than the Bartender telling us viewers who was sent to which Heaven/Hell/Reincarnation/Void/etc. because it kind of makes it less interesting.

As for his wife, I wish we would have gotten a more clearer understanding on why she was cheating because I felt like that was out of nowhere in the last minute.

Btw, excellent music and beautiful visuals. So gud, Madhouse!
Jan 13, 2015 11:33 AM

Jan 2009
Satire said:

It's not so much about your past life. Even if you're reincarnated, which would mean no memories of your past life, at least you still exist. The void is literally nothing. You have no consciousness; you just disappear completely. Is existence worse than being nothing?

Bro, your existence is literally your memories. Your consciousness is your memories.
Jan 13, 2015 12:19 PM

Jan 2015
BiddingGortonio said:
Satire said:

Bro, your existence is literally your memories. Your consciousness is your memories.

Exactly. How can YOU still exist if YOU don't have YOUR memories and experiences? It's no longer the old you, or you at all, it's a new person. This applies even more so, if reincarnated as an organism without the sense of self, and higher thinking, you had earlier as a human that made you the person you were.

"You have no consciousness; you just disappear completely. Is existence worse than being nothing?"

Either way you (individualism) kinda disappear. It's just that in one you've reached enlightenment* and in the other you're existence can/is literally replaced by another, and that new existence gets a shot at enlightenment (not you).

*= "According to Nagarjuna, Sunyata is not nothingness, but it is truth or absolute reality of things or suchness (tathata) of the universe. Sunyata-emptiness is not being as distinguished from beings, nor is it a transcendent God distinguished from this world, nor is it a nothingness distinguished from the somethingness of ordinary life. It is not to be found outside oneself, nor it is to be found inside oneself."
Makaze_no_MoujuuJan 13, 2015 12:27 PM
Jan 13, 2015 12:20 PM

Jul 2012
Nakai Kazuya voiced Takashi...I knew it!
Jan 13, 2015 12:25 PM

Dec 2013
mayukachan said:

As for his wife, I wish we would have gotten a more clearer understanding on why she was cheating because I felt like that was out of nowhere in the last minute.
That's the best thing of this anime, it lets us think for ourselves. Decim's reaction reaction makes me believe she was supposed to reincarnate.
FragOutFire said:

Why am I a Berserk fan? All I ever experience is pain.

We are in the eclipse and Miura has sacrificed us
Jan 13, 2015 12:26 PM

Jul 2012
PriestSlayer said:
mayukachan said:

That's the best thing of this anime, it lets us think for ourselves. Decim's reaction reaction makes me believe she was supposed to reincarnate.

It's too bad that we found out who went to which place in the end, though. Billiards left it ambiguous.
Jan 13, 2015 12:44 PM

Dec 2013
The first episode made me remeber that film "the shinning". I don't even know if a comparison between a movie and an anime is legit. Anyway, I liked it.
"Me ni wa me wo, ha ni wa ha wo, aku ni wa aku wo."
Jan 13, 2015 12:45 PM

Sep 2013
mayukachan said:
PriestSlayer said:

It's too bad that we found out who went to which place in the end, though. Billiards left it ambiguous.

But we haven't found out which place was good or bad, the void or the reincarnation? which arises another mystery. I even doubt the bar or the game is the deciding factor for their admission into hell or heaven.

I agree Death Billiards is slightly better than this episode..
Jan 13, 2015 12:52 PM
Feb 2013
Too much ambiguity defeats the purpose of this kind of drama and leaves us with a simple yet morbidly addicting trainwreck.

There is literally no way to tell if she cheated on her husband. That whole 'flashback' could mean so many things. The only thing we got for sure is where they each end up. The girl isn't going to hell, she actually got the 'good end'.

Personally I see betrayal by a spouse the lowest of lows, so if she actually did cheat then I can't help but feel disgusted by her. Cheating is never an option and it autofails you.

I'm leaning towards her not cheating. Mostly because that is what I want to think and it is every bit as valid given the information we have. My initial thoughts were that she was simply lying in order to give her husband some peace of mind.
Jan 13, 2015 12:55 PM

Aug 2013
It was good. Really, I will watch it for sure.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 13, 2015 1:46 PM

Feb 2010
mayukachan said:
Forgot to post this lol.

First things first... That was even better than I expected it to be. Wow. I can't help but praise every aspect of this episode. It was done right and in the best possible way.

My only concern is that I'd rather they leave us off with a more ambiguous ending rather than the Bartender telling us viewers who was sent to which Heaven/Hell/Reincarnation/Void/etc. because it kind of makes it less interesting.

Btw, excellent music and beautiful visuals. So gud, Madhouse!

The general consensus is that the woman was lying at the end, there are a lot of reasons to believe that.

Check this thread: http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1340543&show=0
Jan 13, 2015 1:48 PM

Dec 2013
An interesting concept to say the least. I'm hyped.
Jan 13, 2015 1:50 PM

Jul 2012
Vanisher said:
The general consensus is that the woman was lying at the end, there are a lot of reasons to believe that.

Yes, that's what I thought as well, but the ending (her going to void, him reincarnated) made me think otherwise. But thanks for the thread link!
Glad it's still ambiguous~
Jan 13, 2015 1:55 PM

Oct 2010
So the death game is merely a psychological stimulant to oust the truth. The actual game itself bears no relevance to the overall outcome of who is sent to heaven and who is sent to hell. Decim makes his judgment not on who wins or loses but the confessions they make in the process. As a result, the cheating wife was sent to "虚無" (nothingness; void) while the husband, despite losing the game, was allowed "転生" (reincarnation).

Exemplary. 9/10
Jan 13, 2015 2:17 PM

Dec 2011
I think in death billards the girl was the true winner.. I think in the end she lied to her husband about cheating on him because she couldn't stand him behaving the way he was from the guilt of killing his child.
Reincarnation isn't necessarily a good thing it means you haven't reached enlightenment and have made mistakes/ earthly regrets so you repeat the cycle until you do. The void means she has reached enlightenment it represents calmness, awareness release, meditative dwelling. The void is a release.. please don't look at this in terms of western good and bad/ heaven and hell standards.. Stop using the western-centralized meaning of reincarnation.. It is probably not the definition intended by the creators. that concept about reincarnation as a repetitive cycle of not reaching enlightenment is important in various eastern religions so it would make sense that it would be his punishment.
grumpytoastJan 13, 2015 2:32 PM
Jan 13, 2015 6:55 PM
Nov 2010
Interesting.... she won yet she still went to Hell right? Was the games then only to determine who deserved based on merit and not on who won the game?
Jan 13, 2015 7:15 PM
Nov 2009
grumpytoast said:
I think in death billards the girl was the true winner.. I think in the end she lied to her husband about cheating on him because she couldn't stand him behaving the way he was from the guilt of killing his child.
Reincarnation isn't necessarily a good thing it means you haven't reached enlightenment and have made mistakes/ earthly regrets so you repeat the cycle until you do. The void means she has reached enlightenment it represents calmness, awareness release, meditative dwelling. The void is a release.. please don't look at this in terms of western good and bad/ heaven and hell standards.. Stop using the western-centralized meaning of reincarnation.. It is probably not the definition intended by the creators. that concept about reincarnation as a repetitive cycle of not reaching enlightenment is important in various eastern religions so it would make sense that it would be his punishment.

^ This is the reason I didn't think the wife cheated on her husband. I think she lied about having an affair to save him from the guilt of having killed his own child. I don't think anyone going to heaven would try to kill their own wife with darts after finding out they had an affair.

And notice at 19:24 right before she goes on her evil-doer confession she wipes her face. I'm going to assume it's wiping away tears for what she's about to do. And then at 19:31 the bartender's eyes widen a bit. I'm sure he already knows what actually happens (that she didn't actually have an affair), so he's surprised that she's going to lie to her husband to make him feel better.

Another thing, in the first 15 seconds of the episode she comes out of the elevator that's red, yet has white face. But when she leaves she exits the same red elevator but now it has the red face.

Also at the very end when the black haired lady asks the bartender a "question" (and we don't know what it is), I assume she's asking whether why the wife did what she did
Jan 13, 2015 7:16 PM

Jul 2012
yngtadpole said:
Interesting.... she won yet she still went to Hell right? Was the games then only to determine who deserved based on merit and not on who won the game?

void =/= hell
Jan 13, 2015 9:17 PM
Jul 2018
What an amazing episode!!! This is how a first episode of an anime should be! So intense, I just watched the special of this anime a few days ago and I couldn’t be happier that it’s getting an adaption. I can’t wait for the next episode and it can’t come sooner.

I do think though that she didnt really cheat on him, she just lied to hurt him.
Jan 13, 2015 10:34 PM

Sep 2011
Makaze_no_Moujuu said:
1) Wow, so basically you are taking the white, non-demon looking mask at face value? That's the irony of the Deigan; it looks unsuspecting, but it represents humanity changing into something less humane. This is a psychological anime, that CLEARLY implores a lot of misdirection and omission to deceive the audience; nothing is to be taken at face value. If it was as simple as the demon mask = negative destination, and the human mask = positive destination, then why pick masks that so blatantly have NOTHING to do with Heaven, Hell, Void and Reincarnation? Generic masks would've sufficed. You could could come at me and say that maybe the Deigan and Hanya masks are just to make us over analyze, but the show is the one that brought up four different outcomes, and switches the masks when two people arrive and exit. Also, the show chooses to depict the characters a certain way that happens to fall in line with the descriptions of those masks.

In the OVA, the guy who cheated on his significant other, and then attacked the old man during the game, got the Deigan mask. If you're saying that the wife getting the Hanya mask = bad, because she cheated, than that doesn't fit what we've already seen or what you're trying to argue. In BOTH the OVA and the anime, the person who both perpetrated the failing of his living relationship (and their life), and attacked the other person in the bar with them got the Deigan mask, and both characters at least fit the barest of criteria: becoming/behaving like a monster via attacking, or even attempting to kill the other person.

Those with the Hanya mask were BOTH people that accepted their fates, but held regret over a not being able to spend their last moments with the one they loved: for the old man, it was not being able to eat pickles with his wife again, like he expressed, and for Machiko, it was the Takashi she was with before the marriage. Neither expressed any natural ingenuity in their character, or any held any malice, or grudge, like those who held the Deigan mask on exit.

2) Here, I guess we can agree to disagree because this about different religions and how different people of different religions, or just people with different viewpoints, see other beliefs. I'm just going by the obvious Shinto and Buddhist influences that show abundantly clear in this anime.

IMO, life is not just life, and seeing life to just be a general positive thing, is not only oversimplifying, but also just straight naive. I'm certain that North Koreans don't see their life a positive experience, same goes for women in the Middle East, people who fail to escape Cuban, people born in poverty all over the world, people forced to marry people they don't love, or even know at times, etc; going back Not saying that not everyone in the world, in those circumstances, can't feel happy about what they got, but to just assume life is great because it's being alive is naive to me.

It's furthered by the fact that the prospect of reincarnation means being brought back as non-humans, like animals, bugs, bacteria, plants and even demons, or apparitions, like hungry ghosts. The severe majority of people given the option of coming back as a bug, the thing many of us humans step on subconsciously, because a lot of us don't even consider their lives anything of consequence, would choose not to be revived as that. We can bring up the fact that we won't be the same person, or have the same mind, when revived, but that doesn't mean that this new being we become will live a happy, or positive life. Reincarnation is seen as good thing, because it brings up the prospect of being able to live life the way we'd want to, or not make the same mistakes, but that only assuming that we get revived again as a human, and even then it depends on the circumstances, the society, the family, etc we'd be reborn in. That doesn't even include all the other things we could be brought back in, and all the aspects and circumstances that those lives take into account.

Regardless, let's hoe this series eventually shows us what the destinations had in store for at least some of these characters.

"Generic masks would've sufficed." Yes, they could have and I think using masks at face value would have been a better decision than using noh masks from a cinematic standpoint. It's subjective to believe that the husband in this series was becoming a monster. It varies on how you, as an individual, interpret the term 'monster'. I don't think he, or the young man from Billiards, particularly did anything to be qualified as monstrous. By definition of what the Hannya mask symbolizes ("The expression of this mask is a fusion of jealousy, grudge, sorrow, and grief of women.", it sounds as if it could fit the husband as well. Let's take, for example, the wife's outburst near the end of episode one. Wouldn't her sudden twist of personality, at face value, also qualify to be fitting for the Deigan mask? There's no substantial evidence to imply that Decim knows their actual past. If anything, she's the one who's actually changing into 'monster', contrary to the husband who has felt jealous and held a grudge for quite some time.

From my perspective, assuming that you actually are correct about the mask ordeal, the outcomes of both Billiards and episode one are still up in the air. There have only been two episodes so far. That said, it is really damn difficult to argue that the void is a better outcome than reincarnation. As such, it doesn't make sense to reincarnate the worse person over the better person. One could still argue that giving the worse person a second chance to be a good person could be the reasoning, but that's a difficult stance to take since it relies solely on forgiveness, essentially. Personally, I, and likely many others, would disagree with that ideology. If anything, I would ideally want to know the opinion of the target Japanese audience on Billiards and this episode. Since I can't read moon, I doubt that's going to happen.

2. Let's agree to disagree then.
Jan 13, 2015 11:25 PM
Oct 2012
I think she was lying. Still, she was clearly trying to hurt him. I don't think she went to hell though, just that she passed on and he didn't.
Jan 13, 2015 11:38 PM
Jul 2018
Loving the OP! So upbeat!
Jan 14, 2015 1:28 AM

Feb 2013
I still think this anime is more about human nature rather than who "won" or "lost" or who is a better person.

The OVA left the answer more ambiguous to the viewer as to who truly went to hell.

I really hope they don't continue to flat out tell us, or at least appear to tell us, who went where as it would actually make the show much worse in my opinion. Leaving it at least somewhat ambiguous opens it up to a much greater discussion and would leave me far more satisfied in drawing my own conclusions and would make secondary viewing more enjoyable.
"Hey! I'm totally an adult! I bitch and whine, lie through my teeth, and do things that are unfair."
Jan 14, 2015 1:38 AM

Sep 2014
PC93anime said:
I still think this anime is more about human nature rather than who "won" or "lost" or who is a better person.

The OVA left the answer more ambiguous to the viewer as to who truly went to hell.

I really hope they don't continue to flat out tell us, or at least appear to tell us, who went where as it would actually make the show much worse in my opinion. Leaving it at least somewhat ambiguous opens it up to a much greater discussion and would leave me far more satisfied in drawing my own conclusions and would make secondary viewing more enjoyable.

they dont really need to say it as the lifts have a clear sign above them to where they lead to. They would have to cut out the lift scene completely to avoid that. And yeah, you are right, its more about human nature than a game, and im loving it. What i reallly liked in the first episode is that the guy still reincarnated after he tried to attack his whore wife. It seemed that bartender or god had an understanding that this would be a pretty natural reaction unless you are a saint.
Jan 14, 2015 4:18 AM

Aug 2013
Interesting, only off putting about this one was the hilariously over the top facial expressions and saliva production.
Jan 14, 2015 12:28 PM
May 2014
didnt she say that she only married him for the money not because of her cheating on him
Jan 14, 2015 1:22 PM

Dec 2011
Foxford said:
PC93anime said:

they dont really need to say it as the lifts have a clear sign above them to where they lead to. They would have to cut out the lift scene completely to avoid that. And yeah, you are right, its more about human nature than a game, and im loving it. What i reallly liked in the first episode is that the guy still reincarnated after he tried to attack his whore wife. It seemed that bartender or god had an understanding that this would be a pretty natural reaction unless you are a saint.

It still pretty ambiguous as it's left up to the viewer to decide whether or not reincarnation or the void is the better option...
but if you look at in terms of the eastern context of reincarnation and not the western.. reincarnation is a punishment and the void is the better option.
Jan 14, 2015 1:26 PM
Jul 2012
Good golly this anime is GOOD!

Silvertongue00 said:
OutZoned said:
I don't think that she was actually cheating. It definitely appeared to me that she was lying just to strike back at him. She sarcastically told him what he wanted to hear because he couldn't handle the truth. We also don't know the criteria for how people are chosen for "the void" and "reincarnation."

For all we know, "the void" could be "heaven" because it releases you from life, while "reincarnation" could be "hell" because it subjects you to the pain of living again.

Based on the fact that we don't know the criteria, we also can't make assumptions that cheating on someone is an action that sends you to one place or the other. This system may not even take actions into account, and instead focuses only on emotional and mental states.

There are far too many unanswered questions that need resolved before we can draw any sort of conclusions, especially ones based on a system of morality that may not even exist in the show.

She cheat on him and she feel bad for it. When she see Takashi going nuts from distrust she feels she deserve some 'punishment'.
http://i.imgur.com/04gpXu4.jpg

I believe the winner have right to choose like in "Death Billiard", hence she choose to disappear and let Takashi reincarnated.

This expression tells that "She did cheat on him, but she is truly in love with Takashi and the child is his"
http://i.imgur.com/Q3IF9jE.jpg

I would like to support his theory. After Takashi was forced to be taken by Decim, there is a somewhat long pause scene for Michiko. If his theory is correct that scene dictates Michiko reflecting 'she did the right thing even though it is truly end for her'.
http://imgur.com/DM0XsGG

And remember this scene? http://imgur.com/bDA92CM
She did not answer the phone and she does not feel like it. This could also indicate that the lover is calling her and she does not want to continue the affair. Heck it is probably over before the wedding.

She was happy at the wedding with a real smile on her face denoting that she married the man she truly wants to spend her life with before the scene where they died.

It is a real downer that as the game continues the flashbacks are coming up but somehow I think it does not necessary mean it is what would everybody would agree. A picture is worth a thousand words as they say.

I agree and also think she lied or rather forced herself not to be saved. It does not matter anymore at their scenario because it is the end. And as someone would have said, why would she reveal her affair at that point.

The ending showing that she is truly happy that they wed and it was her best moment of her life. That end credits justified her expression of happiness.

On the side note, it is tragic for them. Especially for her.
Jan 14, 2015 2:22 PM

Oct 2013
Wow what sinful natures.
Jan 14, 2015 2:48 PM

Apr 2013
I don't there is a discussion to be had in which got punished and which didn't.
She lied, she cheated on him and was at least at first a complete gold digger that used him and abused him for his money. Void= bad.
And all you have to do to almost HAVE to come to these conclusion is agree with me that the doctor was happy that he was gonna be a father and that due to that he meant to miss his 6th dart!

Explanation of deduction:

First of all. Let's get it clear that christian ideology is the main thing driving the show. Words like heaven, hell and god were used (at least in the subs) which are ideas not present in Buddhism and I'm very close to certain are not present in Shinto. I'm not saying this religions have or don't have influence in the show, just saying that the driving one do to choice of language is Christianity. Using these 3 religions because as far as I'm aware they are the three main Japanese religions.

I want to propose the idea that the darts hitting or missing also depends on the ideas and thoughts of the thrower and that these ideas can affect weather the dart hits or misses after it's thrown.

1. We can hear the doctor's thoughts. He was genuinely happy that he was gonna be a father.
He hit the first one as a test. Missed 4 in a row willingly. Threw the 5th with unknown intentions.
Now here comes the important part. Before he throws the 6th one we can see that he is genuinely happy because we can hear his thoughts and we know he is happy. He loves the idea of being a father and he is very glad. Here I make the assumption that he wants to miss because WE KNOW HOW HE FEELS AND HE FEELS VERY HAPPY AND LOVING TOWARDS HIS WIFE AT THE INSTANT OF THE THROW but the dart still hits. Why? Because he doubted his wife AFTER he threw.

Remember they are already dead, magical things can happen and this argument rest on the idea that they are happening! If you concede this point then the following happens.

Ask yourself the question, why then did the wife land all those shots? Because she simply wanted to win. If she wanted to lose/miss she would missed because her ideas and thoughts would of influenced the dice.

2. Her flash back showed a man smoking and with a different hair cut. The doctor was never shown smoking in any of his flash backs or any other flash back.

3. Her elevator has the face of a Japanese demon on top of it. The doctor has a white mask.

4. For those talking about the white guy's surprised faced and using that as an argument towards the women's innocence. Your argument has a fallacy, you're assuming the cause. He could just as well have been surprised about the fact that someone like her acting so hard came out and said the truth. Which is the actual reason he was surprised since she did cheat on him.

Conclusion: She was a liar and a player. She deserved nothing but the fear of not knowing what would become of her.

Though I cannot claim that she deserves punishment. The void sounds like she is being erased, I like that idea.

Edit: I had a lot of fun coming to my conclusions and ideas after watching the show, so exciting having to think about something! 5/5 loved it.

I also think the guy was beautiful, he got as angry as he got because he really really loved her. He was so attached to her that he could get that mad despite being a doctor. To me that speaks of how pure was and how deserving he was of heaven/reincarnation or w.e.

I do think by the end of it she came clean because of love and when she cam out and said the truth it was the truth so the child was indeed not the doctors.
starmaker032Jan 14, 2015 2:54 PM
Jan 14, 2015 5:15 PM

Jun 2008
So winning the game really has no significance. It just a character measuring tactic or more like an evaluation of truth etc.

Arcanix said:
So, did you even see the episode? How can you be doubtful if she was cheating?

Because it was presented in a way that her confession in the end was ambiguous.
Jan 15, 2015 2:53 AM
Jun 2010
I think you guys are misunderstanding the masks.

Those 2 particular noh masks were commonly used in the play "Aoi no Ue", which this episode may be loosely based on.

http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Aoi_no_Ue_(play)

The first half of the play, the actor is wearing the white deigan mask. At this point, jealousy is present but is still managing to be controlled.

During the second half, the actor wears the hannya mask, signfying that they have succumb to negative emotions and becomes pure emnity. This happens after the spirit finds that her lover's new wife is pregnant.

At the end of the play, the spirit is pacified (after attacking the object of her jealousy) and is able to become a pure spirit, leading back to the deigan mask.

Which leads me to believe that the wife cheated and the husband has been redeemed. He was wronged, so he was given another chance at life.
ADHthaGreatJan 15, 2015 3:18 AM
Jan 15, 2015 4:38 AM

Aug 2014
Interesting. Well planned out and executed well. Not sure if I like the concept or the weird eyed guy. That lot seem a bit oddly put together.
It was a nice twist, especially since it gave the whole situation and let you decide which story to believe.
Jan 15, 2015 7:10 AM

Apr 2014
might be one of the good anime in this season, as only few really caught my eye.
dark and psychological type anime, which I like it a lot.
I thought Machiko will be sent to heaven but I was wrong, she's really having affair I guess. At least Takashi gets a reincarnation. But sometimes reincarnation means you still have things you need to ...."fix" it?
Both OP and ED are really nice to hear.
Jan 15, 2015 9:30 AM

Apr 2010
Silvertongue00 said:
pure guessing, first two aren't from me:
- She break his heart i.imgur.com/g8eaxmE.jpg
- Soiled relationship i.imgur.com/g8eaxmE.jpg
- Pure coincidence she 'hit' double ring on eye
- Pure coincidence he 'hit' double ring on intestines

I think her story about "Machida Yuuki" is true i.imgur.com/Pcg6h7f.jpg

That's actually Machida Yuuki with Kanji.
Now i'm confused...
Pages (17) « First ... « 10 11 [12] 13 14 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2015

599 by Hugsgs »»
May 26, 5:55 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 20, 2015

215 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 2:01 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2015

450 by Seraschi »»
Apr 26, 1:26 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2015

663 by ozrodger46 »»
Apr 11, 4:30 PM

Poll: » Death Parade Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2015

672 by NikoFool »»
Apr 2, 10:50 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.