Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (16) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »
Nov 30, 2014 9:17 AM

Nov 2013
FakePriest said:
There is HUGE difference between not liking something and pretending that it is a fact that it is bad.

I guess I should explain why I consider those comedic/slice of life scenes bad:

1)Ufotable's art style isn't fitting for exaggerated/cartoony expressions, because even when drawing deformed faces, they put quite a bit of detail into them, which makes them look more ugly than funny (I had the same problem with Waver in F/Z).

2)The comedic timing and music are mostly off: the most obvious example is the scene where Shirou calls Rin fat, which is weird overall and seems to get cut just before the "funny" part actually happens.

3)They're basically repeating the same joke every time: Shirou teases Rin, and she reacts by blushing and getting angry; most of the time she doesn't even have a remotely good reason to get so flustered (like when she has no problem asking Shirou to become her ally, but as soon as Shirou wants to shake her hand, she basically goes "it's not like I wanted to, baka!").

4)They're not as compelling as the rest of the series: they occasionally show that Rin has a childish and prideful side (in episode 0), or that Shirou is indeed attracted to hot girls (in episode 6), but for the most part, they feel pointless and unfitting, since the audience is most likely dying to know more about the characters and the war. Even when they try to convey something, I feel like they could have accomplished the same thing more easily: if they wanted to show that Rin is lonely (in episode 0), they could have simply shown everyone in the class eating together, and then cut to her having lunch alone in the cafeteria, with no need to introduce the trio of schoolgirls.
Nov 30, 2014 9:44 AM

Aug 2009
The only problems I had with comedy scenes so far are the oyster sauce reaction in ep1 and Shirou's face when he called Rin fat in ep4, in the VN it was like"Damn , I shouldnt have said that" but in the anime it was like he saw the apocalypse or something.And the face wasnt even as exaggerated as Rin's in ep5.

Except from Rin and sometimes Saber, Ufotable follows closely the art of the VN(or LN in the case of KnK and FZ).Honestly I had no problem with Rin's exaggerated face in ep5, the reactions in this ep and basically any scene other than the two I mentioned above, simply because they were forced even when compared to the VN.

Rinis sort of antisocial and the only person so far that she can show her true self is him.Add to that the reason why she likes him(not romantic one yet) and there, it isnt weird that someone that isnt afraid to speak to her while facing the "real" Rin Tohsaka, causes her to react like that.He isnt addressing the madonna of the school but the magus Rin Tohsaka that she tried to hide so far.

I dont get the problem with the trio.So what?They actually showed that she isnt just antisocial, she DOES talk to people and hangs out with them, she wants to be close to other people but she cant due to her heritage.It is a lot better than just making her say that she is lonely or that she must distance herself from others.

We do get to know the chars and the war itself in the scenes that follow those.Outside those scenes we learn new stuff about Shirou's magecraft, actions of other Masters and Servants,how far the are willing to go and so on but I see people ignore those because "We didnt learn anything knew".There a lot new pieces of info in each new exposition scene but people ignore it.The comedy/Sol scenes dont take the place of exposition stuff and sometimes help the characterization.
Nov 30, 2014 9:56 AM

Jan 2014
Thanks, Fake-kun. You said all what we wanted to say.
Nov 30, 2014 10:04 AM
Aug 2012
It's like some people are watching for the sake of hating and saying "How is this better than FZ lol"............you guys really should learn the difference between valid criticism and your biased nitpicking(which consist of actually 80-90% of the complaints).

Just because you "don't like" or "feel unusual" about SOL scenes doesn't mean they are unnecessary, they contribute to the show, characters and there are a lot of foreshadowing. If you missed them, then it's your loss.

Nov 30, 2014 10:06 AM

Aug 2009
chickenonthepan said:
What, no dozen of other Priests and other fans saying the same thing?

What happened?
Nov 30, 2014 10:42 AM

Jul 2013
FakePriest said:
chickenonthepan said:

What happened?

I used up all my desire to talk after the FAQ thread and the Fate/Zero thread.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Nov 30, 2014 10:47 AM

Aug 2014
JabonHR said:
FakePriest said:

What happened?

I used up all my desire to talk after the FAQ thread and the Fate/Zero thread.

That Fate/Zero thread was the funniest example of secondary nonsense I'd seen in a while.
Nov 30, 2014 10:51 AM

Jul 2007
FakePriest said:
chickenonthepan said:

What happened?

tl;dr: we are drowning in our ideals and dying.
Nov 30, 2014 10:56 AM
Jan 2014
A body is a body.

Also we should have a bishop with all these priests around.

Nov 30, 2014 11:04 AM

Sep 2014
Shock_Yin said:
A body is a body.

Also we should have a bishop with all these priests around.

Lol, this. Such a weird thing to say when throwing a jewel....

We should also have a pope.....Mira-chan for Pope!For she is the most sadistic psychopath!
The sun is a deadly laser
Nov 30, 2014 11:11 AM

Feb 2009
Shock_Yin said:
A body is a body.

Yeah as a german i was quitly reminded of "people die when they are killed" :D
Nov 30, 2014 11:12 AM

Sep 2013
Arcos said:
Shock_Yin said:
A body is a body.

It's not as weird as "Abzug. Bedienung. Mittelstand." Thank goodness, ufotable removed that line, when Rin said that in the Prologue.
Nov 30, 2014 11:21 AM

Oct 2014
CorePriest said:
Arcos said:

It's not as weird as "Abzug. Bedienung. Mittelstand." Thank goodness, ufotable removed that line, when Rin said that in the Prologue.

Japanese version of what in Western fiction are magical spells that use senseless and grammatically incorrect Latin.
Nov 30, 2014 11:22 AM

Jan 2014
I knew it! That useless Rider was the first to go! She didn't even frickin' get to ride anything.

Although now I am intrigued as to how this was changed from the previous F/SN anime. Seems like things are moving a lot quicker.

still

I'm not asking for spoilers by the way. I will wait and see for myself who is truly responsible.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Nov 30, 2014 11:27 AM

Aug 2009
>useless Rider
>implying that Servants are unbeatable or that he is ordinary....
Nov 30, 2014 11:34 AM

Nov 2013
FakePriest said:
>useless Rider
Didn't we already establish that Caster is OP with a bunch of hax?
Nov 30, 2014 11:42 AM

Aug 2009
BotatoPriest said:
FakePriest said:
>useless Rider
Didn't we already establish that Caster is OP with a bunch of hax?
Dont tell me
Nov 30, 2014 11:51 AM

Jul 2007
CorePriest said:
Arcos said:

Frankly it has to be senseless.

Dresden Files lore does a VERY good explanation on incantations - its something to channel power. They do not have to "make sense"(hell most of spells the lead character in there creates use very silly latin incantations that translate to bullshit).

That works for nasuverse too. Magecraft is all about manipulating energy. Its not some sort of "magic". Its science. She is not activating noble phantasms. She is channeling, repurposing and activating complex mechanisms. SO it makes sense that incantations serve more as a way to focus yourself and different phrases have different effects, but not because of their meaning. They don't have to have meaning as long as they serve the purpose.
Nov 30, 2014 11:55 AM

Feb 2013
Rider can't complain his role in UBW, I mean, at least he didn't die in his first scene (unlike a certain fictional servant).

Nov 30, 2014 11:57 AM

Aug 2008
fateoffate said:
Rider's neck is creepy. Anyway, I'm mad they didn't portay this better in anime.

Great point. I'm guessing they thought it would spoil the connection between the Shiro and Archer, and are thinking of taking their time doing it?
Maybe they got creative, like in the fight between Saber and Berserker, are thinking of including a different/alternative scene where he will dual wield something?

Well, in that same regard, I'm still slightly upset that in the prologue, Rin and Archer didn't discuss the fire incident of the city. They talked about Reality Marbles there. You'd think given that it being a direct prologue for this route they'd have included that exchange.
Oh well, I will trust that Ufotable will make this adaptation justice. They have a nice track record so far.
Nov 30, 2014 12:03 PM
Jul 2014
CorePriest said:
Arcos said:

Holy shit, you just made me remember that line. It was so hilariously strange, I was never able to take any of those incantations serious.
Nov 30, 2014 12:10 PM

Jul 2007
Fire discussion is a cut scene.
IT will be there in BD.
Nov 30, 2014 12:13 PM

Sep 2013
CookingPriest said:
CorePriest said:

Dresden Files lore does a VERY good explanation on incantations - its something to channel power. They do not have to "make sense"(hell most of spells the lead character in there creates use very silly latin incantations that translate to bullshit).

That works for nasuverse too. Magecraft is all about manipulating energy. Its not some sort of "magic". Its science. She is not activating noble phantasms. She is channeling, repurposing and activating complex mechanisms. SO it makes sense that incantations serve more as a way to focus yourself and different phrases have different effects, but not because of their meaning. They don't have to have meaning as long as they serve the purpose.
That doesn't make it any less funny. I mean, some sentences actually make sense. Just not this one.
Nov 30, 2014 12:27 PM

Jan 2014
Fun episode, love how Shiroe becomes badass character ;p
Nov 30, 2014 12:31 PM

Jul 2007
CorePriest said:
CookingPriest said:

That doesn't make it any less funny. I mean, some sentences actually make sense. Just not this one.

No more(or less) funny than:

I just accept it as a given - its not like Shirou's phrases he uses make real sense either.

I just wish Nasu hid some cool easter eggs in the true meanings of some of them.
Nov 30, 2014 2:00 PM
Jul 2018
_Warb said:
CorePriest said:

Holy shit, you just made me remember that line. It was so hilariously strange, I was never able to take any of those incantations serious.

It may be nonproblematic for you,but I personally found it kind of cringeworthy.
Nov 30, 2014 2:35 PM

Oct 2014
CorePriest said:
Arcos said:

Oh God!
i would've loled so hard if i heard Rin saying that!
espicially after the spell with ''Fixierung'' xD

What do Abzug and Mittelstand have to do with magic anyway xD
Nov 30, 2014 2:48 PM

Jul 2007
Nothing.

None of incantations have to do anything with magic as I said before. THat's kind of the point. THey are an exercise to channel and activate stuff.
Nov 30, 2014 5:49 PM
Oct 2008
This is one of the few things that never sat right with me... and I'm sure there will be a shitstorm here when the culprit is revealed... Eagerly awaiting HF Movie to display her awesomeness...
Nov 30, 2014 7:15 PM

Jun 2014
I don't think it was Caster that snapped riders neck like that.....
But anyway, glad to see the MC getting something done!
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Nov 30, 2014 7:17 PM

May 2014
EbolaBreakOut said:
My lord

Nov 30, 2014 7:25 PM

Jun 2010
Rebelhero said:
Emiya is definitely getting more and more capable as the series progresses.

I'm starting to like him a little bit more.
Nov 30, 2014 7:29 PM

May 2014
GNExia236A said:
Rebelhero said:
Emiya is definitely getting more and more capable as the series progresses.

I'm starting to like him a little bit more.

This is literally the way the 3 FSN routes progress, it's a shame the only anime made of it was a haphazard retelling of the first route. In which his ideals are never explained and where they are most grating.

So as you can expect by the time the 3rd route is adapted into a movie..
Nov 30, 2014 8:57 PM

Apr 2014
RinPriest said:
WrongPriest said:

This is literally the way the 3 FSN routes progress, it's a shame the only anime made of it was a haphazard retelling of the first route. In which his ideals are never explained and where they are most grating.

So as you can expect by the time the 3rd route is adapted into a movie..

This is what really makes Shirou a like-able character,

if you saw how he was in Fate Route and then progressed to UBW, you'd understand why most people in the best man poll for VN readers have Shirou as #1 best boy.

Irrelevant, still annoying generic shounen protagonist.
Nov 30, 2014 9:03 PM

Jul 2013
ZeroDragon said:
RinPriest said:

if you saw how he was in Fate Route and then progressed to UBW, you'd understand why most people in the best man poll for VN readers have Shirou as #1 best boy.

Now now, don't scare off the nice people who are starting to like him.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Nov 30, 2014 9:07 PM

Sep 2014
ZeroDragon said:

generic shounin protagonist is old news. we need more yaoi series about a man having to choose betwween his harem and his love for a priest.

oh and something relevant to this episode. i've seen some people complain about shirou not duel weilding. It's a lot more realistic for Shirou to use a two handed weap this early into the series simply because it's the sort of weapon he's been trained to use. it's shown from episode one that he already had some mild profecientcy in two handers from the way he defended himself. so going in to fight the golems with a weapon he was already confortable with as oppose to what he had just started training is just the smarter move on shirou's part.

some others are complaining about how shirou seem to suddenly be getting good with his training in such a short period of time. A thing to remember is that it was already implied in previous episodes that he has had prior training before the series started. Shirou's Training with Saber is more in the case of someone who is already experience learning more solid technique for both defending himself and going into combat. Think of somebody who is already in shape and has had prior experience in martial training. if he gets a new instructor and starts learning a new system/method he is going to pick it up a lot faster than someone with absolutely no experience what so ever.
MaloghurstNov 30, 2014 9:30 PM
Nov 30, 2014 9:11 PM

Sep 2013
ZeroDragon said:
RinPriest said:

Don't waste your breath on these people. They think the 2006 anime made Shirou look bad because his ideals weren't properly examined.

Heh, yeah sure. Keep telling yourselves there is something to examine there. His ideology in Deenight was simple because he is a simple character. No point in trying to delve into a character that has no depth.

Call Deen's verison bad all you want, it isn't half as pretentious as this crap show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2014 9:37 PM

Apr 2014
mickdrew_99 said:
ZeroDragon said:

Don't waste your breath on these people. They think the 2006 anime made Shirou look bad because his ideals weren't properly examined.

Heh, yeah sure. Keep telling yourselves there is something to examine there. His ideology in Deenight was simple because he is a simple character. No point in trying to delve into a character that has no depth.

Call Deen's verison bad all you want, it isn't half as pretentious as this crap show.

Shirou is so bland and dense. What kind of bullshit idealogical struggle consists of wanting to save everyone and create a world where they all can be happy, but then realizing that it may not be so practical and then develop personally as he tries to reconcile his path? He acts like such a generic shounen MC, charging head first into battle and thinking that he can take care of everything himself. It's like as if something in his past gave him psychological trauma and screwed up his personality so bad to the point where even other characters realize how off he is and that the plot even uses it as a point to develop him from. Objectively bad writing I'd say for an MC that has no depth whatsoever.

Rin is a generic tsundere. Struggling between her identity and responsibilities as heir to a powerful lineage of mages vs being herself? PLEASE. Also, she's in the middle of a deadly situation, and yet she acts all lovey-dovey around Shirou and even makes him her ally! What idiot would ally with another idiot who can barely use magic? I can't possibly see how the remaining 2/3 of this show or even the Heaven's Feel movies will explain why Rin has been so protective of him. There definitely is no way that she noticed him in the past or that she somehow has a connection to him that we haven't been made aware of.

Rider also died to quickly! We barely know anything about her, yet she's already written off. This is objectively bad writing. Giving her a short role in the Fate route and a very prominent role in Heaven's Feel is no excuse, regardless of how the visual novel (the source material which this show adapts one route of) structured itself into three routes that give different levels of exposure to different characters and ideas. Just terrible.

We're 1/3 of the way through this anime, so clearly there's no way they'll have time to answer the questions that have been raised nor develop the characters further.

Rating: 1/5
Nov 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Nov 2014

Nov 30, 2014 9:50 PM

Jan 2014
Wow. Dat corpse. Cool.
Nov 30, 2014 10:02 PM

Sep 2013
ZeroDragon said:

Shirou is so bland and dense. What kind of bullshit idealogical struggle consists of wanting to save everyone and create a world where they all can be happy, but then realizing that it may not be so practical and then develop personally as he tries to reconcile his path? He acts like such a generic shounen MC, charging head first into battle and thinking that he can take care of everything himself. It's like as if something in his past gave him psychological trauma and screwed up his personality so bad to the point where even other characters realize how off he is and that the plot even uses it as a point to develop him from. Objectively bad writing I'd say for an MC that has no depth whatsoever.

Rin is a generic tsundere. Struggling between her identity and responsibilities as heir to a powerful lineage of mages vs being herself? PLEASE. Also, she's in the middle of a deadly situation, and yet she acts all lovey-dovey around Shirou and even makes him her ally! What idiot would ally with another idiot who can barely use magic? I can't possibly see how the remaining 2/3 of this show or even the Heaven's Feel movies will explain why Rin has been so protective of him. There definitely is no way that she noticed him in the past or that she somehow has a connection to him that we haven't been made aware of.

Rider also died to quickly! We barely know anything about her, yet she's already written off. This is objectively bad writing. Giving her a short role in the Fate route and a very prominent role in Heaven's Feel is no excuse, regardless of how the visual novel (the source material which this show adapts one route of) structured itself into three routes that give different levels of exposure to different characters and ideas. Just terrible.

We're 1/3 of the way through this anime, so clearly there's no way they'll have time to answer the questions that have been raised nor develop the characters further.

Couldn't have said it any better myself. Shirou is the worst MC imaginable.

What the hell does Shirou have? He left the stove on and burned down a city block, so now he wants to make sure everybody lives (yes, I know he didn't actually leave the stove on, Fatefags. It's called a joke! It's funny because it might as well been a stove left on given the story we get from it).

Don't even get me started on Rin. You're in a war woman! And yet here you are making friends. If Nasu was interested in writing a good, logical character - she would have killed Shirou in cold blood as soon as he turned his back to her. No I don't care if she's a teenager, if you want to be a well written character, you can't do illogical crap like this.

This show sucks, and people suck for liking it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 30, 2014 10:35 PM

Jul 2011
FlameseeK said:
Mangalist-san said:
Secondary friend commenting on how underwhelming and disappointing F/S Rider is compared to F/Z Rider and how she was just as lame as the Assassins in F/Z

The problem is people don't seem to realize there are 3 routes in the novel. The characters who don't get much exposure in one route tend to get a whole lot more in at least one of the other ones, if not in both of them. This applies to the majority of the characters - both masters and servants - if you think about it.

The question at hand is if we get an epic dragon scene 2.0 in this.
Shameless self-promotion: http://www.pernerple.com/
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Nov 30, 2014 11:43 PM

Jul 2011
RinPriest said:
armeg said:

The question at hand is if we get an epic dragon scene 2.0 in this.

Lol nope, this ain't Saber's Route, get outta here.

I'm not sure if I missed the joke or what:

VN spoiler ahead.
Slyr3do0n said:
MAL is the dark underbelly of the anime community. While other naive fanboys and fangirls run around in real life forming clubs and squealing in deafening high pitch noises about their favourite animus, we remain here, meticulously dismantling the credibility of each and every show, until all that remains is a steaming pile of tropes and ass pulls which we then devour to gratiyfy our glutinous and masochistic desires.
Dec 1, 2014 12:02 AM
Jul 2011
ZeroDragon said:
mickdrew_99 said:

1. You might forgot that both Rin and Shirou are 15. You can't expect teenagers to be 100% resonable, though i share your hate for Shirou as mc of this series :D
On rin part, she doesn't really need grail that badly as kiritsugu, and she doesn't want other people to die becouse of it. Thats why i think its quite resonable for her to prioritize fighting with caster/rider, and allying with shirou, since she knew they were attacking/hurting innocent people.
Actualy in VN if shirou failed to run away from her when she fights him at school

[/quote]

Actualy i think it would be resonable for her to ally with shirou till they kill berserker, since Archer can't even hurt him(as far as Rin knows), and Saber already managed to kill him once.

About rider death... Its ubw route not fate one. And in fate every servant and master, as far i remember had bigger role (especialy rider).
Ubw was written in mind that user would already finished fate route. And since Unfotable tries to be faithfull to original, you can only blame yourself for not reading / watching fate route :D
I wouldn't normaly recomend anyone watching Deen adaptation, but...
Dec 1, 2014 12:12 AM
Jul 2011
Well thats awkward
Dec 1, 2014 12:28 AM

Jul 2011
RinPriest said:
armeg said:

VN spoiler ahead.

Slyr3do0n said:
Dec 1, 2014 12:35 AM

Nov 2012
Lol. Well played, Zero. Well played. I was only 1/3 of the way through your post and I was already thinking it deserved a 5/5.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL
Dec 1, 2014 12:55 AM

May 2009
mickdrew_99 said:
ZeroDragon said:

What the hell does Shirou have? He left the stove on and burned down a city block, so now he wants to make sure everybody lives (yes, I know he didn't actually leave the stove on, Fatefags. It's called a joke! It's funny because it might as well been a stove left on given the story we get from it).

Don't even get me started on Rin. You're in a war woman! And yet here you are making friends. If Nasu was interested in writing a good, logical character - she would have killed Shirou in cold blood as soon as he turned his back to her. No I don't care if she's a teenager, if you want to be a well written character, you can't do illogical crap like this.

Thought i was the only one disappointed in this show! well, look there are others too!
Dec 1, 2014 2:13 AM

Aug 2009
Durie said:
mickdrew_99 said:

Thought i was the only one disappointed in this show! well, look there are others too!

Not sure if continuing the sarcasm or just a drone.

pillsbury15 said:
This is one of the few things that never sat right with me... and I'm sure there will be a shitstorm here when the culprit is revealed... Eagerly awaiting HF Movie to display her awesomeness...
It is perfectly explained tho.

Then again people still think that Saber is the strongest Servant...
Dec 1, 2014 3:37 AM

May 2012
y123y said:
StrawberryRain said:
Good episode.

Emiya is growing up in front of our eyes.

Rider got fucked up. Too bad they didn't show the fight between Caster and Rider.

I dont know. He looks very short. Insert spoiler complaint here

Well somebody had to do it -_- but this is pretty hilarious

http://gifsound.com/?gif=38.media.tumblr.com/e679c148dbd64ae5d8ccee91f3cc0c42/tumblr_nftfidOj4L1u0jzt2o1_1280.gif&v=CcCw1ggftuQ&s=9
KamiCityDec 1, 2014 4:53 AM
Pages (16) « First ... « 8 9 [10] 11 12 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2014

1045 by DGottem »»
Sep 9, 2:34 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 11, 2014

1266 by bananachips »»
Sep 3, 8:30 PM

» Fate Watch Guide I Made For My Website

KaptainKoolaid - Aug 22

4 by AustinJamB »»
Aug 23, 11:58 AM

» Finding ost ep9

O_OSeeKing - Aug 9

1 by TrueLataDeAtun »»
Aug 9, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works (TV) Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 6, 2014

708 by O_OSeeKing »»
Aug 9, 6:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.