Forum Settings
Forums

why do male anime watchers complain about fan service

New
Oct 5, 2014 8:28 PM

Sep 2014
why do male anime watchers complain about fan service I mean I can understand little girls and stuff that takes away a lot of the story but Cmon a lot of them seem to complain about smallest amount any guesses?
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Oct 5, 2014 8:32 PM

Aug 2014
It disengages the viewer from the content of the show.
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Oct 5, 2014 8:33 PM

Jan 2008
Gives them a reason to complain and give it a 1/10.
Oct 5, 2014 8:34 PM
Jul 2013
For the lulz
Oct 5, 2014 8:34 PM

Oct 2013
They're gay
Oct 5, 2014 8:36 PM

Jun 2014
I don't like fan service in an anime that is "serious". Fan service is fine in ecchi or something that is in a "lighter" tone.
Oct 5, 2014 8:36 PM

Jan 2013
Because after you see some glorious ass shots you need to wank. Sometimes it takes me several hours to finish one single episode...
Oct 5, 2014 8:37 PM

Feb 2008
Some of us aren't twelve years old any more and don't find pantyshots particularly exciting. It's a lazy method of pandering and shows absolutely no respect for the audience. If an anime is not mature enough to show sex then it shouldn't have any sexual content whatsoever. Anything in-between is just creepy and pathetic.
Oct 5, 2014 8:37 PM

Mar 2013
huh? what is fan-service?
Oct 5, 2014 8:38 PM

Aug 2014
Veronin said:
Some of us aren't twelve years old any more and don't find pantyshots particularly exciting. It's a lazy method of pandering and shows absolutely no respect for the audience. If an anime is not mature enough to show sex then it shouldn't have any sexual content whatsoever. Anything in-between is just creepy and pathetic.

^
A guide to living with that one guys ugly signature on MAL.

1. See that SullyNathan has posted last in thread, abort thread.
2. After clicking quick reply, close eyes and type out reply.
3. Try to scroll as far down as possible before replying if you prefer to keep your eyes open.
4. Report said signature for being offensive to the eyes.
5. See he is active in thread, scroll through thread while trying not to have eyes burned, sigh, click back & lose interest.
6. Move to another part of MAL forums where he does not visit.
MAL Jesus where are you?
Oct 5, 2014 8:39 PM

Mar 2014
Anime girls are nowhere as sexy as real girls. Why would I want to be teased by 2d bullshit?
Oct 5, 2014 8:39 PM

Sep 2014
Veronin said:

you know that was a good point made helps clear up the confusion I was having thanks.
Oct 5, 2014 8:42 PM

Jul 2014
Veronin said:
Oct 5, 2014 8:43 PM

Jan 2013
sullynathan said:
Anime girls are nowhere as sexy as real girls.

I see you haven't watched Bakemonogatari yet...
Oct 5, 2014 8:45 PM

Oct 2012
Depends on how the fanservice is delivered.

Jan 2013
I don't
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Mar 2013
i dont really get it
Oct 5, 2014 8:47 PM

Jun 2013
Fan Service is just "we don't know how to write a proper show so heres some tits, BE ENTERTAINED!".
If I want tits and ass I know where to find it on the internet.
Oct 5, 2014 8:52 PM

Jul 2013
Because I can.
And I mean that in the most sexually painful way possible.
Oct 5, 2014 8:54 PM

Dec 2012
I don't know, but people who can't even be entertained by the simple things in life, like T&A, have some serious attention span issues.
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

Oct 5, 2014 8:58 PM

Aug 2013
jayss said:
You hit the nail right on the head.

There is nothing wrong with a little sexual fanservice once in a while but in anime(mainly ecchi harems) it's usually presented in a shitty, retarded, childish way. Shy, loser guy walks in on a tsundere taking a shower and the tsundere overreacts and beats the crap out of him or pervert pepping on the girls in the onsen and then gets the crap beat out of him. Stuff like that just plain sucks, is really immature and to me isn't good sexual fanservice. An anime like Black Jack 1993 OVA is how good, mature sexual fanservice is done. Nudity with no embarrassment associated with it at all and no shitty, immature cliches.
Oct 5, 2014 9:00 PM

Jan 2010
Are we talking about

- fans who hate sexual fan service that just happen to be out of place for the show they're watching?
- fans who hate sexual fan service because it's not why they watch anime for?
- fans who hate sexual fan service because they're not attracted to 2D?
- fans who think sexual fan service objectifies characters?
- fans who hate all sexual fan service because they're allergic to all forms of T&A?

'Cause the conversation can go a bunch of directions. And there's probably more than that too.
Oct 5, 2014 9:01 PM

Oct 2012
jayss said:
Its entirely this. There isn't inherently anything wrong with fanservice, its just how its executed. Poorly executed fanservice takes you out of the experience, while well executed fanservice adds to the experience.
Oct 5, 2014 9:07 PM

Jan 2012
Vulpixel said:
They're gay
Oct 5, 2014 9:08 PM

Jul 2012
The real question is why do male viewers watch shows aimed for girls and then complain about the fanservice when there barely is because [sexual] manservice is harder to find.
Oct 5, 2014 9:08 PM

Jun 2014
Because sometimes it just goes too far. A little fanservice is fine, but sometimes it can break a show depending on how it's executed.

Oct 5, 2014 9:14 PM
Oct 2010
It's mostly the delivery, I mean fanservice is in everything media wise but the random panty shots and upskirts are stupid and I honestly don't see how people get off on that.
Oct 5, 2014 9:15 PM

May 2012
Because they pretend they are too mature for it, but in reality they aren't. Look at the favorites of people who hate fanservice, 9 times out ten it is not much better than what they hate.
Oct 5, 2014 9:16 PM
Nobody

Jul 2013
people just have different tastes
Oct 5, 2014 9:16 PM

Sep 2014
Feaor said:
jayss said:
Its entirely this. There isn't inherently anything wrong with fanservice, its just how its executed. Poorly executed fanservice takes you out of the experience, while well executed fanservice adds to the experience.

yeah I know that but iv'e come across many male viewers that hate fan service just to be dumb asses and hate on it.
Oct 5, 2014 9:17 PM

Mar 2013
Veronin said:

This for the most part, there are exceptions where the fan service didn't bother me. Case in point, the Monogatari series.
Oct 5, 2014 9:20 PM

Oct 2012
mayukachan said:
The real question is why do male viewers watch shows aimed for girls and then complain about the fanservice when there barely is because [sexual] manservice is harder to find.
Is this a dig at all of the people whining about Free? I didn't watch it because I'm not a fan of sports anime, much less swimming.
Oct 5, 2014 9:21 PM

Nov 2008
It's not the fanservice that makes the anime bad it's mc, he never lives right, even in non-fanservice romcoms (Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun I'm looking at you), the mc doesn't live right.

Oct 5, 2014 9:23 PM

Jan 2012
As has been said if it becomes distracting it can take one out of enjoying a series, regardless of gender. I find I'm a lot more tolerant of it in general but some shows can get to be a bit much even for me. Of course if I'm noticing that it's probably because I'm not enjoying the story and/or characters enough to not be bothered by it anyway.
Oct 5, 2014 9:23 PM

Jul 2012
Feaor said:
mayukachan said:
Is this a dig at all of the people whining about Free? I didn't watch it because I'm not a fan of sports anime, much less swimming.

More like Shounen Hollywood, Kuroko no Basuke or Love Stage!!. But, it's usually in shows like Free!, like how people judge it as trash without even watching it ^^;
MayukaOct 5, 2014 9:27 PM
Oct 5, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2013
skudoops said:
panty shots and upskirts are stupid and I honestly don't see how people get off on that.
Another factor when it comes to liking sexual fanservice is what you are into. I hate panty shots, onsen scenes but I like sexual fanservice where the girls are in cute costumes or sexy revealing costumes.
Oct 5, 2014 9:35 PM

Feb 2008
Feaor said:
jayss said:

It is inherently bad. Fanservice exists simply to prey upon the audience's sexual fantasies by manipulating them into buying DVDs and merchandise. There's no fanservice that improves the quality of a show; if there is sexual content that is executed well enough to the point where it does not feel out-of-place or pandering, then it's simply not fanservice in the first place. It means the show is actually mature enough to handle sexual content and that said sexual content is a part of the characterisation rather than some ulterior motive. Ghost in the Shell for example contains plenty of nudity and sexual themes, but it doesn't exist to give the audience a boner. There's a difference.

You can enjoy all the bath, onsen, beach and pantyshot scenes you want, but please do not treat it as anything more than lazy pandering for otaku. There's better things to spend your time defending.
Oct 5, 2014 10:00 PM
Jul 2018
Veronin said:
Feaor said:

It is inherently bad. Fanservice exists simply to prey upon the audience's sexual fantasies by manipulating them into buying DVDs and merchandise. There's no fanservice that improves the quality of a show; if there is sexual content that is executed well enough to the point where it does not feel out-of-place or pandering, then it's simply not fanservice in the first place. It means the show is actually mature enough to handle sexual content and that said sexual content is a part of the characterisation rather than some ulterior motive. Ghost in the Shell for example contains plenty of nudity and sexual themes, but it doesn't exist to give the audience a boner. There's a difference.

You can enjoy all the bath, onsen, beach and pantyshot scenes you want, but please do not treat it as anything more than lazy pandering for otaku. There's better things to spend your time defending.

I'm looking at your post trying to find the best part to bold, but all of it ended up being spot on.

It often bothers me when anime viewers confuse a disorienting fanservice/ecchi scene with the sexualization of a character even though it pertains to said character.

Whenever we see fanservice onscreen we immediately know that it is blatant and unnecessary, yet some viewers are under the impression that they do no harm. Well, they certainly don't do any good.
Even if it's a "joke" on the animators/directors/writers' part, it's still pandering.

One well-known example is in Code Geass, wherein the ecchi scenes contributed absolutely zero to both the plot and the characters.
Oct 5, 2014 10:15 PM

May 2012
Because it reinforces misogyny and sexism by sexually objectifying women for the sole purpose of arousing privileged patriarchal shitlord men. If you enjoy fanservice, you are literally RAPING that fictional anime girl with your eyes!

/SJW
Oct 5, 2014 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
Veronin said:
Feaor said:

/thread
Oct 5, 2014 10:23 PM

Nov 2010
Veronin said:

No it isn't. Fanservice exists to service fans, added enjoyment, little things that don't affect the plot. And is not only sexual in nature. References or head nods to other series, guest appearances, blood or gore, flashy transformation scenes, unexpected sides of characters(usually comedy in nature), etc. And even if fanservice doesn't improve the quality of a show(if you're looking at plot, characters, etc), it doesn't necessarily decrease it either as by definition it does not affect the plot, etc so I wouldn't say it's inherently bad.
Oct 5, 2014 10:24 PM

Apr 2013
Vulpixel said:
They're gay

Or maybe some of us normal folk aren't aroused by drawings
Oct 5, 2014 10:24 PM

Oct 2011
Veronin said:

Well said.
Edit: Wait, I'm not even a guy. /leaves

Oct 5, 2014 10:36 PM

Apr 2014
I feel like the people who hate fanservice are the same people who hate dubbed anime. It's probably an elitist thing, but it just comes down to different ideals and opinions.
Oct 5, 2014 10:37 PM
Oct 2010
DrGeroCreation said:
skudoops said:
panty shots and upskirts are stupid and I honestly don't see how people get off on that.
Another factor when it comes to liking sexual fanservice is what you are into. I hate panty shots, onsen scenes but I like sexual fanservice where the girls are in cute costumes or sexy revealing costumes.

Well yeah, I generally don't care for it but my tolerance level stems mostly from delivery. I think shows like Monogatari (except Nise) get it right.. the timing is really good and appropriate and it's takes multiple forms.
Oct 5, 2014 10:41 PM

Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:

No it isn't. Fanservice exists to service fans, added enjoyment, little things that don't affect the plot. And is not only sexual in nature. References or head nods to other series, guest appearances, blood or gore, flashy transformation scenes, unexpected sides of characters(usually comedy in nature), etc. And even if fanservice doesn't improve the quality of a show(if you're looking at plot, characters, etc), it doesn't necessarily decrease it either as by definition it does not affect the plot, etc so I wouldn't say it's inherently bad.

I agree to this more. Fanservice is meant to please the fans. When it doesn't please the fans, then clearly there is something wrong.
Deconstruction ≠ Darker & Edgier
Trope ≠ Cliché (Face it, nothing is completely original. Can't make something from nothing so to say.).
Fanservice ≠ Ecchi (Though ecchi can please the fans!)
Popular ≠ Sucks... maybe
Seinen = K-ON! Shounen, Shoujo, Seinen and Josei are demographics.
Anime/Manga = Japanese Cartoons! Deal with it.

Support Movember. Raise awareness of men's health issues. Put a mustache on your avatars or something...
Oct 5, 2014 10:45 PM

May 2014
IntroverTurtle said:
Veronin said:

Excess is inherently bad aka fanservice shows.
Oct 5, 2014 10:49 PM

Dec 2012
OT:

Likewise, I doubt you like every girl you meet on the street, so it's basically the same. Even fanservice has variety, quality, time, and role. For example, WataMote finishes with an upskirt shot, which I don't specifically like as a turn-on, but most of you won't even remember it was being used and how (it was important in the series). Or, that one oblivious guy, who responded to a teasing foot with a bite in one of the new releases. Definitely had more erotic impact than the other three "fanservicy" offers.
Garo uses it in a completely different setting, and some of the shots were indeed hilarious, not only exciting.

So, it's like this.
Oct 5, 2014 10:59 PM

May 2012
Veronin said:
Feaor said:

That is big generalization. Not all fanservice is inherently bad, and I would say inherently is used incorrectly as well, because when it comes to entertainment, there is no correct way to entertain someone. If a person is entertained by fanservice, then the product has succeeded. But I digress. Not all fanservice is sexual in nature as well, you seem to be confusing ecchi with fanservice. Although they aren't always mutually exclusive, they can be considered to separate things.

Also, not every show has to be "mature," like Ghost in the shell. The purpose of every show is different and to say that sex should only be used and expressed in a certain capacity is very narrow. Some people like juvenile things like panty shots, and breasts. You shouldn't look down or them or say fanservice is for 12 year olds because it is very condescending.
Oct 5, 2014 11:06 PM
Jul 2018
MaiTai said:

Well said.
Edit: Wait, I'm not even a guy. /leaves

Hey, yeah..
What about female viewers who "complain"? Do we not matter?

Equal criticism and mockery or smexist!
Pages (7) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hot take: mappa is the mcdonald's of anime studios ( 1 2 3 )

Deathlydash - Sep 19

101 by ColourWheel »»
13 minutes ago

» Would you date an anime girl even if she ate her rice grains one at a time?

ItsXolo - Yesterday

10 by RainyEvenings »»
14 minutes ago

» Most Disappointing "Good" Shows

Treatise - Sep 19

42 by Jyushimatsuno »»
15 minutes ago

» Does "being an otaku/weeb" still have any meaning in 2024?

thewiru - Yesterday

47 by RainyEvenings »»
17 minutes ago

» Do you find modern disclaimers to be annoying?

Dragevard - Yesterday

10 by Jyushimatsuno »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.