Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (21) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
May 27, 2014 7:26 PM

Jul 2012
patco23 said:
Well, I hate to say it, but this is the point where HxH jumped the shark for me. Not because of the tired old "sacrificing your future for the sake of the present" bit, or the anticlimactic ending to the battle, but because it ultimately turned into a clone of Dragonball Z where ever-escalating power levels and suicidal attacks are the norm.

Why exactly does Gon have to pull a SSJ-style transformation to win this battle? Could it be because the author knew he had written himself into a corner and had no other recourse but to resort to such an inelegant act to resolve this conflict? Or was it always planned to turn out this way from the beginning? If it was the former, then I'm afraid that all those hiatuses really hurt the story after all. If the latter, then I respect the author's decision but I cannot say that I'm impressed by it.

I already know how things play out from here, and nothing in the remaining manga chapters does anything to change my opinion that HxH peaked a long time ago. I truly hope that future events will prove me wrong.

i wouldnt say it peaked already for me this upcoming new arc is the most interesting because its focused on the origin of nen
Cty Best mid
May 27, 2014 7:27 PM

May 2014
patco23 said:
Why exactly does Gon have to pull a SSJ-style transformation to win this battle? Could it be because the author knew he had written himself into a corner and had no other recourse but to resort to such an inelegant act to resolve this conflict? Or was it always planned to turn out this way from the beginning? If it was the former, then I'm afraid that all those hiatuses really hurt the story after all. If the latter, then I respect the author's decision but I cannot say that I'm impressed by it.

I'd guess the latter, since everything relating Gon in the palace invasion converged at this episode.
May 27, 2014 7:27 PM

Mar 2014
patco23 said:
Well, I hate to say it, but this is the point where HxH jumped the shark for me. Not because of the tired old "sacrificing your future for the sake of the present" bit, or the anticlimactic ending to the battle, but because it ultimately turned into a clone of Dragonball Z where ever-escalating power levels and suicidal attacks are the norm.

I already know how things play out from here, and nothing in the remaining manga chapters does anything to change my opinion that HxH peaked a long time ago. I truly hope that future events will prove me wrong.

How else would have Gon been able to kill Pitou? I wouldn't doubt that this was planned from the very beginning. Gon sacrificing his life energy and potential to get to where he is? Explained by Kurapika regarding vows & limitations of Nen. Pitou's resurrection? Explained by Sphinx on why they shouldn't kill Kurapika. These things were established way before these events took place.

Gee, I didn't know that one transformation (with dreadful repercussions) suddenly turns a series into a DBZ clone. If you knew what happened next, you'd know that whatever happens to the King is far from the norm.
May 27, 2014 7:28 PM

Jun 2010
1000/10!!
this ep was magnificent!! at first i cant stop laughing at gon's transformation lol
actually i'm kinda mad at gon for killing pitou :(
it was emotionally done well, 131>126 maybe? haha
also, gon sacrificing his life for greater power remind me of final getsuga xD
MechaMeisterMay 27, 2014 7:32 PM
May 27, 2014 7:34 PM
May 2014
patco23 said:

Such an inelegant act to resolve this conflict? I think he was trying to emphasis the fact that Gon lost it. Gon definitely couldn't have won this battle without it. As its been said/done earlier in the series with Kurapika, with conditions the stronger the ability or nen. Gon agreed to never using Nen again. I find that to be the exact opposite of inelegant and a brave act. Overall the way it was done can be appreciated. Even if you weren't impressed by the author's decision, this episode executed this scene in an almost flawless way.
May 27, 2014 7:35 PM
May 2014
MechaMeister said:
1000/10!!
this ep was magnificent!! at first i cant stop laughing at gon's transformation lol
actually i'm kinda mad at gon for killing pitou :(
it was emotionally done well, 131>126 maybe? haha
also, gon sacrificing his life for greater power remind me of final getsuga xD

Exactly, it reminds me of it as well. I'm not mad at Gon though for killing Pitou. She deserves it.
May 27, 2014 7:38 PM

May 2007
I seriously don't know what to think after this episode, I was just blown away.
May 27, 2014 7:50 PM

Sep 2012
One of the best transformations out there.
May 27, 2014 8:08 PM

Jun 2009
Holy shit. I'll have to come back later for more of an opinion. Can't even think right now.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 27, 2014 8:10 PM

Dec 2011
jreginald said:
patco23 said:

How else would have Gon been able to kill Pitou? I wouldn't doubt that this was planned from the very beginning. Gon sacrificing his life energy and potential to get to where he is? Explained by Kurapika regarding vows & limitations of Nen. Pitou's resurrection? Explained by Sphinx on why they shouldn't kill Kurapika. These things were established way before these events took place.

Gee, I didn't know that one transformation (with dreadful repercussions) suddenly turns a series into a DBZ clone. If you knew what happened next, you'd know that whatever happens to the King is far from the norm.

I'm going to admit that when I first read the scene in the manga, I had a similar reaction. I thought Gon was pulling some super-saiyan bull-shit to defeat Pitou. But no, it wasn't like that at all.

I hate saying it like this, but this was a suicide mission. Gon was ready to die in his fight with Pitou; that's why he made such a huge sacrifice in exchange for so much power so quickly. (Just like Netero.)
Other people would approach a battle with a kill-or-be-killed mentality. Gon had a destroy-you-even-if-it-means-destroying-myself mentality. I think that's why he said "it didn't hurt," when he lost his arm, and he wasn't just "being tough." Gon was completely prepared to face the consequences, no matter what they were.

I think that's what makes HxH so unique from other shounen, including DBZ. No matter what happens, characters are forced to face the consequences of their actions. Throughout this series, Gon has broken both his arms, lost a hand (in GI), now an arm, has been held hostage, and has had several close calls with death. Now that he has made the ultimate sacrifice, he must face the repercussions... shit like this never happened in DBZ... or any other shounen mags I know of.
May 27, 2014 8:11 PM

Sep 2013
Just watched it for the 3rd time :O so good :)

Pitou glad that he's the one who's gonna get killed and not the King, the loyalty :)

Gon was willing to sacrifice his future to avenge Kite :(
Adult Gon would definitely Mereum before the bomb, would lose to the post bomb version thou.
May 27, 2014 8:24 PM

May 2014
Also watched my third time. The only thing I don't like about the episode is Killua's flashback of Biske. It felt like it somewhat killed the mood. I guess if it wasn't shown, the timing would be awkward focusing too much time on Killua's face, but at least that wouldn't have broken the immersion.
May 27, 2014 8:36 PM

Dec 2010
this epi was beautiful ... i think the reason gon went berserk was not solely for what pitou did to kite rather gon's own guilty conscious for causing such e big mess up until now...i mean this kid is a head to toe good guy who never ever even in his dreams consider causing harm to others . so its natural he took the responsibility for such a big fuckup and that motivated him big time . i mean the story could have gone in a totally different direction with kite vs pitou if gon hadn't behaved like a "child" back then ..so gon went full circle in his "adult " mode to make all the wrong right ... not o mention paid a tribute to kite losing one of his arms ... he lost everything to make it right ... seemed beautiful way to settle things at this stage ...

headless_nickMay 27, 2014 9:05 PM
May 27, 2014 8:46 PM

Dec 2012
WOW what an amazing episode. Gon's transformation was so bad ass. Pitou didn't stand a chance.
So many punches.
Gon lost an arm just like Kite.
So intense.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

May 27, 2014 8:47 PM
Feb 2013
...I need to change my pants.
May 27, 2014 8:48 PM

Sep 2012
I won't smile ever again, fuck you Gon.
May 27, 2014 8:49 PM

Nov 2012
Absolute greatness! Not a single badly done scene.
May 27, 2014 8:53 PM

Jul 2013
Flume said:
Can I put this in my sig? XD
May 27, 2014 8:54 PM

Mar 2008
I knew what was gonna happen, but I still feel like it's a cop out. One of, if not the most anticipated, fight in the arc started and finished in one episode with Gon trashing Pitou in a one-sided "fight."
May 27, 2014 8:57 PM

Oct 2011
Wonder what will happen to Gon after all that power being used up. I mean, equal to the King? That's crazy, and I thought Pitou was already ridiculously strong. I do admit the transformation felt kinda DBZ-esque and convenient, but that didn't detract from my enjoyment of the episode.
KefkirothMay 27, 2014 9:03 PM
May 27, 2014 8:57 PM

Sep 2012
GalekC said:
Flume said:
Can I put this in my sig? XD

Sure lol

OT: Damn, the musical score was great. This episode was some brutal shit. The transformation scene was insane, some things are just better animated than in manga
May 27, 2014 8:59 PM
May 2014
headless_nick said:
this epi was beautiful ... i think the reason gon went berserk was not solely for what pitou did to kite rather gon's own guilty conscious for causing such e big mess up until now...i mean this kid is a head to toe good guy who never ever even in his dreams consider causing harm to others . so its natural he took the responsibility for such a big fuckup and that motivated him big time . i mean the story could have gone in a totally different direction with kite vs pitou if gon hadn't behaved like a "child" back then ..so gon went full circle in his "adult " mode to make all the wrong right ... not o mention paid a tribute to kite losing one of his arms ... he lost everything to make it right ... seemed beautiful way to settle things at this stage ...

what i didn't liked later was how he got healed ...

Are u fucking kidding me?

Where are the mods get this shit out of here
May 27, 2014 9:00 PM

Dec 2011
I really need to add a comment here...fucking awesome episode.
Gon going berseck and destroying Pitou like an insect but has sacrifice something much greater.Will the anime going on break soon as ot much material is out waiting for the come back of the manga next month
May 27, 2014 9:01 PM

Mar 2014
AmGodBrah said:

Lol you should have just left it to die in the last page.
May 27, 2014 9:02 PM

Sep 2012
AmGodBrah said:
headless_nick said:

Now that you quoted him without spoiler'ing it, others are gonna see as well...

._.
May 27, 2014 9:06 PM

Dec 2010
Flume said:
AmGodBrah said:
headless_nick said:

Now that you quoted him without spoiler'ing it, others are gonna see as well...

._.

my mistake . tagged it
May 27, 2014 9:11 PM

Feb 2012
Gon wrecking Pitou all over the forest. Holy fucking shit this episode is easily the best of 2014. 10/10.
May 27, 2014 9:13 PM

Feb 2013
too much action in one episode . didnt expected that
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2014 9:16 PM
Mar 2011
Holy crap, this is the best moment of my life ever (not sure if its even an exaggeration)

someone has to make the sheets for the piano part at the end. its too good >.<
May 27, 2014 9:17 PM

Jan 2009
action was nice this episode, but Gon made a huge sacrifice to temporarily become god-like
May 27, 2014 9:22 PM
May 2014
Dude he praticaly became a god I loved
May 27, 2014 9:24 PM

Aug 2011
Amazing episode. I wasn't expecting something like this. I really loved.
May 27, 2014 9:34 PM

May 2013
Episode was crazy as heck. Background music fit so well I was getting chills. RIP Pitou.
May 27, 2014 9:38 PM
May 2014
REST IN PIECES Pitou :))
May 27, 2014 9:43 PM

Aug 2010
Gon just raped Pitou!

R.I.P Pitou... you fucked with the wrong kid
May 27, 2014 9:49 PM
May 2014
The OST is outstanding,Gon....Damn he is awesome.The way he reacts after the transformation was oh man!!, he was forcefully mature himself to a level where he can fight equally with the King......This episode is a real badass
May 27, 2014 9:57 PM
Apr 2014
Ladies and Gentleman Anime is saved. But really this episode was amazing like the tears and savagery was astounding mixed with the music. 11/10
May 27, 2014 10:09 PM

Jun 2009
So, Gon chose his revenge over his potential. I don't think this sequence could have played out any better now that I have had some time to think about it. It wasn't what I wanted his revenge to be like back in episode 95 when he declared to Killua that "I want that one", I've grown to really like Pitou as a character, so seeing this play out gave me a very bitter sweet sort of feeling. Her last thoughts being that she was glad it was her and not the King only added to that.

I could also make some comparisons between Gon's transformation and a certain one in the Cell arc of DBZ. But, I don't want to spoil something from another series for those few who haven't seen that show. Suffice to say this felt like a very negative version of that to me.

Line of the episode? "I finished the job, just like you taught me". I don't think Kite would be proud of you though, Gon...
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 27, 2014 10:11 PM

Jan 2014
HOLY SHIT, BEST EPISODE OF HUNTER X HUNTER 2011 EVER.....EVER. I'm in loss of words from seeing this. 1000000000000000/10 O_____O
May 27, 2014 10:31 PM

Jun 2009
Raticate said:

I also thought the atmosphere was right during the transformation and that it got the message through, in great part, thanks to the OST. However, I watched some reaction vids (yes, I had to xD) and some people seemed to be too excited about the transformation.

I can assure you I wasn't one of those people. I thought the situation was pretty fucked, really. Though, again, this could have something to do with me really liking Pitou's character.

- Geralt of Rivia
May 27, 2014 10:36 PM

Jul 2012
Woooooooooow No way in hell did I see that coming, I cannot explain how awesome that was, I think that 1 episode will increase the my score on the anime xD

But man that manly Gon. 1 thing didn't make sense though if he was as strong as the king according to what Pitou said then why did he lose his arm? I mean the first time she attacked his back he turned in a split second and kicked her but that time he didn't do anything. Well I guess I too would let my guard down if I took of somethings head too. anyway the best part was when he punched her with his own decapitated limb. *_*
May 27, 2014 11:01 PM

Feb 2014
5 1/5s and 8 2/5s in a few minutes... Interesting.
May 27, 2014 11:08 PM
Oct 2009
Do you know if it will further part?After chimera art?
May 27, 2014 11:13 PM

Oct 2013
My goodness.. WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT? IT WAS GLORIOUS.ijuidsuahuo Epicness overload! Pitou, you were the best waifu I've ever had...R.I.P My smexy kitty.
May 27, 2014 11:45 PM

Oct 2011
Knowing the Hunter x Hunter fanbase, I'm gonna get nuked for saying this but the episode was good but not great. The ost usage in this episode was definitely the best part, all the tracks were spot on. From an emotional standpoint, it did a much better job than the previous episode as well. However, the animation for a lot of the sequences during their "battle" felt like Madhouse was doing too much. Almost all the comments I have read thus far have said it was perfect, I feel as though Madhouse just tried doing too much to make it "epic" instead of just letting the action play out and do the work for them. The initial transformation scene where Gon first transforms and he looked straight out of a manga panel combined with the tailed beast animation from Naruto was not my favorite. Then they put Pitou in red light for no reason to charge at him then later on rehashing the black and white animation from the Uvogin-Kurapika fight when Gon got his arm cut off. For me, it felt like all of this was too over the top and really took away from the action.

The "fight" itself is still beyond mediocre. I hate that it's even considered a fight because it's basically the definition of a one sided curb stomping. I've always considered this more of a cool moment than I did a battle, so to see people say this was a great fight when Pitou never landed a clean blow is kind of gut wrenching since this is one of the things Hunter x Hunter masterfully avoided until this point. It'd be like calling Silva crushing Cheetu's head a fight. It just simply isn't. Again, since I guarantee my words will be twisted, not saying this scene or moment is bad, just saying as a battle it is pathetic.

The last thing I want to hit on as far as this episode is the transformation power itself. It was still a weird thing to see in the story. No matter whether it's the manga or the anime, it still feels so surreal and out of place. No matter how many ways I look at it, no matter how many different ways I've heard people justify it's existence, it still feels as though this power is a deus ex machina. Togashi wrote himself to a point where there was no foreseeable way for Gon to defeat Pitou so he gave him a short gained, massive power boost in order to keep the plot of the arc moving.

Those were just the few things I took away from the episode. All in all, even though my entire post was focusing on the points I disliked, I found this to still be a very good episode. Not as good as some of the others from the arc, but it was still a very fun watch and really gave off the big moment vibe here.
May 27, 2014 11:51 PM

Feb 2014
Kerither said:
Do you know if it will further part?After chimera art?

Election arc :)
May 27, 2014 11:52 PM

Jun 2009
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this. But, look where Pitou is positioned right before her death. Remind you of anything?

- Geralt of Rivia
May 27, 2014 11:53 PM

Oct 2011
insan3Spectre said:
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this. But, look where Pitou is positioned right before her death. Remind you of anything?

Oh the ironic justice
May 27, 2014 11:54 PM

Feb 2014
insan3Spectre said:

This episode had a lot of callbacks that I'm gonna make a thread about it, I'll add this one too
May 27, 2014 11:55 PM

Oct 2008
wow so does he go back to normal?that hair is so long.
Pages (21) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 100 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

ValeBreck - Oct 15, 2013

162 by samagra7 »»
Sep 19, 11:19 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 148 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Haine - Sep 23, 2014

933 by LizIsListing »»
Sep 18, 1:42 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 134 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 17, 2014

329 by Ravin-AnimeList »»
Sep 17, 11:25 PM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

JusticeGundam - Oct 1, 2011

406 by chris1763 »»
Sep 16, 9:52 PM

» Hunter X Hunter is back (Manga)

Yeshaiah2015yesh - Aug 20

24 by NyxVulcan »»
Sep 13, 4:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.