Forum Settings
Forums

Manga you thought was better than the anime

New
Jul 21, 2013 12:45 PM
Jul 2013
The title explains itself a manga you thought was great but the anime just wasn't as good as the manga. It's your decision you can pick one or many just give me a reason why the manga was better.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jul 21, 2013 12:56 PM

Dec 2012
Gantz : The anime was pretty bad. It was faithful in the first season and a part of the second season but the anime had an original ending, the animation was wanky, the pace was somewhat slow, the voice actors were annoying, the whole atmosphere just seemed different and they only covered the beginning which was really weak compared to the rest of the manga.

Deadman wonderland

Medaka Box: They didn't cover the best part of the manga. [The minus arc]. I doubt we will see it get animated some day :/
Jul 21, 2013 1:04 PM
Jul 2018
Love Hina. The anime was great, but the manga had a more satisfying conclusion and I enjoyed it more
Jul 21, 2013 11:53 PM

Apr 2011
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, FMA, Beelzebub, etc. I could go on and on about manga that were better than it's anime counterparts.
Jul 21, 2013 11:58 PM

Mar 2012
R+V without question.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Jul 22, 2013 12:04 AM

Oct 2011
Well... Berserk.
Jul 22, 2013 12:15 AM

Dec 2007
yhunata said:
Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Death Note, FMA, Beelzebub, etc. I could go on and on about manga that were better than it's anime counterparts.
^
An anime version better than the original manga is more rare.
Jul 22, 2013 12:24 AM
Mar 2008
Naruto and Bleach despite their op songs.
Jul 22, 2013 4:41 AM

Jul 2010
Kuroshitsuji. I like anime adaptations to be a little different from their manga counterparts but I wish Kuroshitsuji had followed the original storyline more closely.
Jul 22, 2013 6:30 AM

Apr 2011
paper-dreams said:
yhunata said:
^

Too true. I'm actually quite surprised no ones mentioned Magi yet, after it's apparent butchering by A-1.
Jul 22, 2013 6:39 AM

Jan 2009
Samurai Deeper Kyo. The anime was one hell of a disaster.
Jul 22, 2013 6:54 AM

Mar 2012
Shaman King, to some extent the Violinist of Hammeln, Saint Seiya (Hades Chapter)

paper-dreams said:
yhunata said:
^

Really rare indeed, most anime tend to use bad filler or bad original endings and those that don't just stop.
Jul 22, 2013 7:34 AM
Mar 2013
I doubt I came across many anime that were better than it's original adaptation.
Recently, I was very disappointed with the adaptation of Berserk.
Jul 23, 2013 1:47 AM
May 2013
Rosario Vampire & The World God Only Knows
Jul 23, 2013 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
Needless the story in the manga keeps getting better unlike the original ending of the anime
Jul 23, 2013 3:09 AM

Jul 2013
Almost all of them.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 23, 2013 4:26 AM

Jul 2013
Berserk - Not because the story is inferior or anything. It's a lot inferior version simply because they couldn't manage to do lot of fight scenes justice due to low budget.

And i cant actually think of anything else. There is some show's that were absolutely terrible but might be decent manga series but i'm not going through same stuff just because the manga version might be executed more well.
Jul 23, 2013 7:41 AM

Jul 2013
Angel densetsu as the OVA didn't cover the whole story and claymore maybe because i just enjoyed reading the manga more than watching the anime.
Jul 26, 2013 11:42 PM

Jul 2013
Do I win if I just say 75% of Anime don't even compare to their original manga works?
Dr. Sheldon Cooper " It is no way to make new humans. People coming out of people. Some kind of dirty magic show.
Sep 9, 2013 12:04 AM
Jul 2018
kingdom
reasons:
1-no blood in the anime
2-skips alot!! i understand that they should skip because it's anime but omg they skipped alot
3-alot of changes (bad changes)
Sep 9, 2013 12:23 AM

Jul 2008
Yondy375 said:
Do I win if I just say 75% of Anime don't even compare to their original manga works?

Yes... and no. I think that percentage should be higher.

In my experience, all manga are better than its animated adaptations. I don't know why, but I prefer manga over its anime counterparts.

To be more specific to the topic, I'd say Elfen Lied is a perfect example. I gave the manga a solid 10, and the show an overrated 4.
Sep 11, 2013 8:18 AM

Sep 2012
Love Hina.

Hated the anime, and the early volumes of the manga were pretty rubbish. But it actually gets very good later on, which only makes me wish they'd adapted the whole thing.

Air Gear manga is better than the anime:

1. More story and characters/character development
2. Better art (some of the best I've ever seen)
3. Comedy level is about the same for both, both hilarious, but some scenes in the manga are unforgettably priceless.
Sep 11, 2013 10:05 AM

Dec 2008
yhunata said:
paper-dreams said:
yhunata said:
^

Too true. I'm actually quite surprised no ones mentioned Magi yet, after it's apparent butchering by A-1.

I agree with you on your first post, naruto, FMA, bleach etc. are better. But I disagree with Magi. Although I did watch anime first and then start the manga, I did the same with Naruto, FMA, Bleach, Hellsing and One piece and still think the manga is better so I don't think that effects too much.

and the series that fist came to mind after opening this thread was without a doubt MAHOU SENSEI NEGIMA! I mean seriously! The anime covered like the first 10 chapters and then started it's filler episodes and ended! whats up with that! in case of MSN I don't think anime and manga can be even compared. It's like Naruto would have ended after Team seven captured the cat (before even meeting zabusa and haku).
Sep 11, 2013 1:41 PM
Sep 2012
Soul Eater manga 10x better than the anime because of how badly the anime derails from the "attack on baba yagas castle"
Sanae: Do you know where Gensokyo's energy comes from?
Reimu: From getting your three square meals a day.
Marisa: And booze!
Sep 11, 2013 5:44 PM

Jul 2008
Usually the closer you get to the source material the better the quality.

Anime -> Manga -> Novel/Light Novel
Sep 12, 2013 2:39 AM

Sep 2013
Blue exorcist it was just a total let down honestly
“The weak lose their freedom to the strong. Such is the way of the strong. And it is the providence of nature that only the strong survive. That is why I needed strength.”
—Kuja
Sep 14, 2013 11:30 AM

Dec 2012
Deadman Wonderland and Btooom. Both of them were only given around 12 episodes, but the manga material was never completely covered in the anime. So instead of the animes finishing with zero plot holes, they finished with a crap load of plot holes and a shit load of pissed of fans left hanging saying,"THAT'S IT!" Deadman wonderland recently finished and the chapters that weren't covered by the anime are amazing. Btooom is still ongoing, but had more character development and fills in most of the questions left by the anime. Also, Naruto would be considered one since the fillers and the animation have turned the show into something horrible. The sketches in the manga now surpass the animation from the anime but a shit ton. The anime makes the major arcs look terrible(visually). Katekyo Hitman also because NOBODY EVER FIGURED OUT IF TSUNA BECAME BOSS IN THE ANIME. There were a lot of plot holes in that too like why the hell the arcobalenos were babies and barely covered anything on the first generation. Bleach, Fairy Tail, and One Piece also have a load of fillers. Karneval cause of the TON OF PLOT HOLES. No. 6 Skipped so many key events from the manga that the anime looked like such shit with so many plot holes and the worst ending to a story. No. 6 is based off a novel, and the anime skipped so many key events it's riduculous. Fullmetal alchemist manga is also better than the anime(the first one) since there were still plot holes in the anime. Both of them promised to get there bodies back and just abandoned everyone they knew. What about Winry and Roy and everyone else who wanted to see the brothers return together, home safe and sound. The anime is not completely bad in a sense that the ending was set up well considering the place that it was forced to stop following the manga. But it is still not up to par compared to the manga. Elfen lied is another with so many plot holes. The anime does not do well with cahracter development or explaining Lucy's split personality. They just left everyone hanging. THIS IS NOT THE SOPRANOS!! Then Kuroshituji sets up with aroung 10 episodes of non fillers. Why the hell would you start this anime if you planned on making most of it filler. What's the point of that. The point that they started at was pretty decent too, so why would they make that much of it filler. It's not like naruto where the animators had to keep workking as the manga and anime was still on going
Allice84Sep 14, 2013 6:14 PM
Sep 14, 2013 1:06 PM
Aug 2013
One Piece I don't exactly prefer the voice acting from the dub nor the sub to be honest
I like cheese
Sep 16, 2013 7:24 PM

Apr 2013
Akira.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Sep 16, 2013 8:25 PM

Nov 2011
Like everyone else has come to say the manga is generally better than the anime just like the book is usually better than the movie. Akira and Barefoot Gen are excellent example of great anime movies that were surprisingly very inferior to the manga they were based on. This is one of the main reasons I think manga is better than anime.
Sep 16, 2013 8:26 PM

Jun 2013
Bakuman
Sep 18, 2013 7:36 AM
Sep 2013
soul eater! the anime was great and awesome to watch but didn't follow the complete storyline.. while the manga was just grand! the ending was a little dark and intense which made it so much better
Sep 19, 2013 12:02 PM

May 2013
Thats a long one to answer, there are many Manga>Anime out there, one that got me was Bakuman, I don't know, I think that its hard to match up with Obata & Ohba-sensi(s) manga.
I just hope that some Manga never get animated, because some are pure Art and can't be expressed with anime!
Sep 20, 2013 12:08 PM

Apr 2013
BlackTruth said:
Yondy375 said:

In my experience, all manga are better than its animated adaptations. I don't know why, but I prefer manga over its anime counterparts.

The only title where I'd say the anime is better than the manga is Usagi Drop. So glad the anime didn't make the time skip.

I'd say Gakuen Alice. I'd first seen the anime but after a couple of episodes thought it was too childish. A few years later I started reading the manga, only vaguely remembering the anime, and it was so good. The manga has a more dark story to it compared to the kiddy anime. There are a lot of series where the anime differs from the manga in order to suit a young audience and I find that a shame.
Sep 20, 2013 12:35 PM

Jun 2013
Fairy Tail of course. The manga was full of bloods, something you can't find in the anime.
Gutalala ~~ sudalala

"It would be great to live as a human"
-Meruem, King of the Ants
Sep 22, 2013 6:19 AM
Aug 2013
Ichigo 100%
The anime did not convey the emotions that was felt from the manga
Sep 23, 2013 3:42 AM

Nov 2011
Like many before have said, multiple examples.

But out of all of which I've encountered, I'm going to say Kaze no Tani no Nausicaä (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind). People call the movie great but when compared to manga... not as great.

But then again, manga and anime are two whole different mediums. Making comparisons with them isn't always that easy.
Sep 23, 2013 8:26 AM

Mar 2013
Mrsharpyhammer said:
kingdom
reasons:
1-no blood in the anime
2-skips alot!! i understand that they should skip because it's anime but omg they skipped alot
3-alot of changes (bad changes)
That's Studio Pierrot for you.

The only one that comes to mind is Deadman Wonderland.
Sep 23, 2013 1:56 PM

Sep 2013
I prefer the Death Note manga to the anime (btw i haven't updated my stats). the anime is missing the epilogue from the manga and i really like the art style from the manga.
Sep 23, 2013 2:06 PM

Jun 2013
Pandora Hearts, Kuroshitsuji
Sep 24, 2013 9:06 AM

Nov 2010
It'd be easier if you asked which anime was better than the manga.
Because, really, it's rare to find an anime better than its source material.
Elfen Lied, Pandora Hearts and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles would just be a few examples.
Dec 30, 2013 3:08 AM

Jan 2009
SnowTigress said:
It'd be easier if you asked which anime was better than the manga.
Because, really, it's rare to find an anime better than its source material.

I wouldn't agree to that. In actuality a rare anime would stand a chance against its manga and only in cases there are some moments/traits that can be reproduced with motion picture only.
Dec 30, 2013 5:38 AM

Apr 2012
Eyeshield 21
the style of anime is much worse than manga
Dec 30, 2013 6:13 AM

Oct 2013
Rosario + Vampire
Tenjo Tenge
Naruto
Fairy Tail
Rave
Love Hina
Air Gear
Sacred Blacksmith
Kämpfer
Dec 30, 2013 8:00 AM

Jul 2012
There are plenty of manga that are better than it's anime, latest anime fail was shingeki no kyojin, manga is way better, who ever did it, failed at adapting it miserably. Also, Gantz h terrible adaptation, anime flows slower than it should so you loose patience watching, one of the worst adaptations of manga I've ever seen was blade of immortal, anime was very very terrible. In the end I can conclude that bad anime adaptations mostly hit seinen genre and mostly do mistakes on choosing the pacing, rest of mistakes are those of low budget so there aren't apropriate soundtracks or better animation.
In reversed situation i found some anime to better than manga, for instance Gintama - it's funnyness is greatly contributed by voices and they get great soundtracks and it is also great example of perfect pacing in adaptation. Also, quite recent anime Blood lad is also way better than it's manga, which was rather plain.
Dec 30, 2013 8:05 AM

Jul 2012
BlackTruth said:
Yondy375 said:

To be more specific to the topic, I'd say Elfen Lied is a perfect example. I gave the manga a solid 10, and the show an overrated 4.

Yeah, and that's why you watched 2 anime per 1 manga, because you always think manga is better.
Dec 30, 2013 11:13 PM

Aug 2012
Aku no Hana yup.
Dec 31, 2013 7:49 AM

Dec 2013
Hmm... there are plenty of manga that is better than their anime adaptation.
If i were to take a pick on the opposite which is manga < anime, I would say Attack on Titans anime is pretty damn awesome!
Stay in yesterday 時を止めて
Dec 31, 2013 5:52 PM

Jun 2013
FrostedSilver964 said:

Naruto - anime has a shitload of fillers
Ao no Exorcist - early and shit ending
Spiral: Suiri no Kizuna - different story with some parts of the manga mixed in randomly

+Death Note
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do You Listen to Music While Reading Manga?

ScaryOwl - Sep 24

27 by Vampire_Lord »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Do you buy manga volume-by-volume or all at once?

Zeta_Riemann - Oct 17

7 by Vampire_Lord »»
2 hours ago

» Should all Manga be banned from School?

Dragevard - Apr 12, 2023

48 by Flazzard »»
11 hours ago

» Recently Bought Manga, Mahnwa, Manhua, or Light Novels. ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Maora - Oct 24, 2008

6012 by Flazzard »»
Yesterday, 10:35 AM

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

458 by Karinara »»
Oct 18, 1:55 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.