Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (24) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »
Apr 24, 2013 1:12 PM

Jan 2013
eldest said:
tsudecimo said:

Why are you telling me stuff that already know ( i mean i watched this anime duhh o.o ).
Who the hell cares about Nia ? I didn't find it depressing because of her but because of Simon and Yoko , saving earth only to choose to wander around doing nothing( for 20+ years so much wasted youth o.o) and Yoko becoming a teacher meh.
How is Simon keeping an eye over mankind ? he gave up his key of gureen laggan meaning he is powerless he just became a nobody.
I found the final battle anti climactic and really predictable but that's me.

yoko always wanted to be a teacher, that made her happy, she did that because early on in the series kamina talks about how he wants to make a better world for children to grow up in, what better way to do so than to liberate humanity and become a teacher.

simon didnt 'do nothing' for 20 years, he wandered around creating settlements for the people who had only recently come out from underground, and he doesnt need his key at all, the key just channels his spiral power, giving that up means nothing, its like saying that giving up your keys means you lose the ability to ever drive a car again. if need be, he can just create another one, it wouldnt be a problem, he can create a mech the size of a galaxy singlehandedly. its also said by leeron and we see that hes watching over kamina city at the end when he helps the kid with the coconut, although with the anti spiral gone he has no need to fight. as he said earlier on, hes not one to govern, hes the drill to create the path for others to follow, quite literally as well as metaphorically.

it seems you just wanted a cop out happy ending and completely disregarded the series themes. simon knew it was time for a younger generation to take point, he even explicitly says it, and hence chose to become a nomad with boota.

this isnt a disney film. not everything is a fairytale ending

and the final battle was anticlimactic?
thats rich, what in the everloving fuck were you expecting then?

This.
@Eldest my same exact thoughts.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Apr 25, 2013 4:47 AM

Aug 2012
Well turns out I don't like shounen. It started off alright but the second arc wasn't as good and I felt the characters took a nose dive.
Apr 29, 2013 12:56 PM

Mar 2013
This is probably the best shonen mecha anime series I've ever watched.

Simon as a character was brilliant I thought. So much growth throughout the series.

Even though I'm the type to question and pick out plotholes. I didn't do any of that in this series. I just laid back and relaxed while watching humanity prevail overwhelming odds.

My only gripe is Simon's attire at the end. He honestly looked like some sort of S&M man servant. And those star shaped glasses...ughh.
Apr 29, 2013 6:48 PM

Sep 2012
option-iv said:
This is probably the best shonen mecha anime series I've ever watched.

Simon as a character was brilliant I thought. So much growth throughout the series.

Even though I'm the type to question and pick out plotholes. I didn't do any of that in this series. I just laid back and relaxed while watching humanity prevail overwhelming odds.

My only gripe is Simon's attire at the end. He honestly looked like some sort of S&M man servant. And those star shaped glasses...ughh.

you talking about the ones he had in the final battle?

they represented not only kamina, but kittan, notice what theyre shaped like?

and they look awesome
Apr 30, 2013 9:39 AM

Mar 2013
I like King Kittan very much so, but star shaped glasses?

And I've narrowed it down to that weird choker part of Simon's ensemble is what puts me off. It's especially noticeable when he gives his jacket to Nia.
May 1, 2013 2:26 PM

Sep 2009
HOLY LIVING **** (repeat 999999999999 recurring times).

Giant galaxy-throwing final battle mixed with over-the-top effects, a beam equal to the Big Bang and Lagann Impact finish.

Was really glad to see that Simon and Nia managed to get married before she disappeared. The 20 year time skip was very interesting as well. Lol at old Rossiu.

This was an amazing show. Will make the rest of the week so much better.

Episode: 5/5

Series: 10/10
The statement below is true.
The statement above is false.
May 1, 2013 6:05 PM

Sep 2012
sword123 said:
HOLY LIVING **** (repeat 999999999999 recurring times).

Giant galaxy-throwing final battle mixed with over-the-top effects, a beam equal to the Big Bang and Lagann Impact finish.

Was really glad to see that Simon and Nia managed to get married before she disappeared. The 20 year time skip was very interesting as well. Lol at old Rossiu.

This was an amazing show. Will make the rest of the week so much better.

Episode: 5/5

same boat for me man.

i thought it couldnt get any more ridiculous. go watch the second movie.
makes the series ending look like dora the explorer.

not even shitting you
May 12, 2013 1:59 PM

Dec 2012
Epic end to an epic series, some sadness, some happiness, and a bright future for all the characters that made it through!
May 16, 2013 1:15 AM

Aug 2010
Pretty sure my brain just exploded. .-.

like wtf... I don't even...
May 16, 2013 9:09 AM

Aug 2012
An epic end for an epic series. Definitely my favorite anime series yet.

The craziness of this series may disappoint or chase people away from watching this, but in my opinion, those are the things that made this series good.

And oh boy, those fighting scenes sure look expensive haha.

May 16, 2013 6:42 PM

Sep 2012
julyan04 said:
An epic end for an epic series. Definitely my favorite anime series yet.

The craziness of this series may disappoint or chase people away from watching this, but in my opinion, those are the things that made this series good.

And oh boy, those fighting scenes sure look expensive haha.

episode 26 and 27 took up 40% of the entire shows budget. they had his planned from the beginning though
May 18, 2013 7:34 PM

Jun 2012
Marathoned this show. Best $140 I ever spent. This goes higher than Code Geass on my list. There aren't words to describe how much I love this show.
May 18, 2013 8:13 PM

Sep 2012
tkdbb156 said:
Marathoned this show. Best $140 I ever spent. This goes higher than Code Geass on my list. There aren't words to describe how much I love this show.

you bought the new limited edition dvd set?
was it good.
im still waiting on the blurays from amazon jp
May 23, 2013 9:35 PM

Mar 2013
Oh damn it. The feels. My chest felt heavy from the start of the episode to the last. I knew Nia would be gone, and unfortunately I was right. I liked everything in this episode. My first impressions were completely different. It's sad that it ended in a way that the protagonist didn't have the best end that a hero could have. I mean, he could've gone out with Yoko or someone. But nah, it's the Gurren-Lagann way.

*hats off* to the producers of this TV series for an amazing output and specially doing the ending so well.

10/10

Absolutely deserves its position in the ranking.

My-wife-is-the-best-in-the-world SWING!!!! <-- best move yet in history.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 2, 2013 7:40 PM

May 2013
Just watched the entire series over the weekend. The final 13 episodes all being watched today. Seriously gives off a major manly motivation vibe and I feel like I should go out and kick some serious ass right now.

That series was incredible, I can't believe I put it off for so many years!
Jun 2, 2013 7:49 PM

Oct 2011
10/10
Can't get more epic than this.
I finished up in 2 days, years ago, but I have rewatch it lots of times.
Regardless of that the feeling is the same as the first time.
Over the top manliness and epicness.
My favorite at the moment :3
Jun 2, 2013 11:35 PM

May 2013
raurux said:
10/10
Can't get more epic than this.
I finished up in 2 days, years ago, but I have rewatch it lots of times.
Regardless of that the feeling is the same as the first time.
Over the top manliness and epicness.
My favorite at the moment :3

This is definitely one of few shows I will be interested in rewatching, many times at that! Also one of the few that make me change all my wallpapers/themes on all of my devices and web browsers. :P
Jun 3, 2013 1:10 AM

Sep 2012
this is the one, and ONLY show id ever drop more than 400 on for the bluray.
nothing else would ever be close to justifying that price (for me atleast)
Jun 4, 2013 1:36 PM

Apr 2012
Saw this 3years ago and hmm, GOOOOOOOOOONNNA REWATCH THIS SOOON <33 10/10 so far Obviously ;)
Jun 5, 2013 1:34 AM
Apr 2013
I guess this just isn't the type of anime for me. I mean, I'm ok with the fact that they were throwing galaxies that were probably full of spiral races at each other's faces, and the fact that the Spiral King knew pretty much everything about the Anti-Spirals even though he didn't get that far in his own time, and the scaling problems, and how impossible it is that they were actually standing on something when they were robots as big as galaxies, and a ton of scientific problems. That's fine, it's an anime that defies logic. But I just can't get what's so dramatic about the fact that the entire first half of the anime is about Simon sucking and Kamina telling him he doesn't suck, with the same phrases "Your drill is gonna drill to the heavens" and "Believe in the me that believes in you", and the second half is about how everyone thinks Simon is the most awesome person ever, and then, when he's in a pinch in a fight he spouts some more recurring phrases such as "Who the hell do you think I am", and the Gurren Lagann becomes ridiculously over powered.

It's one thing that the anime defies logic. Hell, that was said like a bazillion times within the show (Another recurring phrase: "Team Dai-Gurren defies common sense to make the impossible - possible" or something), but even the parts this series was suppose to shine, making me feel like Simon really did develop into a bad ass after a journey of challenges, it feels like ever since he got back on his feet from Kamina's death he's been doing the exact same things over and over.
Jun 5, 2013 2:17 AM

Sep 2012
guyuz said:
I guess this just isn't the type of anime for me. I mean, I'm ok with the fact that they were throwing galaxies that were probably full of spiral races at each other's faces,

it was the anti spirals own created universe, given their motives, do you think they would have created/allowed any trace of a spiral race in their own realm? they didnt even allow it in the universe outside of theirs, i dont think so.

and the fact that the Spiral King knew pretty much everything about the Anti-Spirals even though he didn't get that far in his own time,

yes he did, he arguably made it further than team dai gurren, he had them on the ropes by brute force alone, they just couldn't find their home world to fiinish them off (inside the universe between the 11th and 12th dimension, as stated by both the anti spiral and lordgenome, also, clearly shown in parallel works 8

and the scaling problems,

not really avoidable, especially from ep 25 onwards, if correct scale was used, 1 side would be invisible in comparison to the other, and for instance, the earth in the final battle wouldnt even be a visible speck.

and how impossible it is that they were actually standing on something when they were robots as big as galaxies, and a ton of scientific problems. That's fine, it's an anime that defies logic.

you answered that yourself,
But I just can't get what's so dramatic about the fact that the entire first half of the anime is about Simon sucking and Kamina telling him he doesn't suck, with the same phrases "Your drill is gonna drill to the heavens" and "Believe in the me that believes in you", and the second half is about how everyone thinks Simon is the most awesome person ever, and then, when he's in a pinch in a fight he spouts some more recurring phrases such as "Who the hell do you think I am", and the Gurren Lagann becomes ridiculously over powered.

did you even understand the series? simon never sucked, he just started off like everyone else, at nothing, the series constantly progresses as his character (and the rest develop). then kamina dies, forcing simon to take responsibility and eventually lead the resistance for mankind. and in the second arc not everyone thought he was the greatest, some did, since he single handedly liberated an entire race from oppression and accelerated technological advancement exponentially, but incase you forgot, half the city wanted him dead after he tried his old antics against the mugann, and he was sentenced to death and left behind to die on a doomed planet. and every time gurren lagann gains great power the stakes continually become greater
to start with its the only ship humanity could survive on if the moon were to collide with the earth vs the entire mugann army, then it was humanitys only chance against the anti spiral against their army, then it was the fate of the universe against the anti spiral himself, the entire series was about continually overcoming ones past self, becoming greater than the person 1 second before, a metaphor for both evolution and the series iconic drill.

It's one thing that the anime defies logic. Hell, that was said like a bazillion times within the show (Another recurring phrase: "Team Dai-Gurren defies common sense to make the impossible - possible" or something), but even the parts this series was suppose to shine, making me feel like Simon really did develop into a bad ass after a journey of challenges, it feels like ever since he got back on his feet from Kamina's death he's been doing the exact same things over and over.

continually becoming stronger and stronger as the stakes became higher and higher?
what were you expecting, them to let it slide and get immediately killed by the moon?

its fine to dislike the series, but for the love of god put some more thought into your reasoning
Jun 9, 2013 10:06 PM

Jan 2013
This is the first time I rated a Mecha anime with 10/10. The first arc of the anime was fun and adventurous but the second arc keeps me going. I really love this show. Added to my favorites!
Jun 10, 2013 5:58 AM
Aug 2012
the ending is too sad , dont like it
Jun 19, 2013 6:46 PM

May 2013
Man tears bro.... Man tears. I don't know, simply man tears.

I watched from start to finish this morning and I can't say much, I'm speechless as I'm typing not speaking.

.... I'm sorry for Simon but I don't know why he had to go and live that kind of life afterwards.. It's really rather.. sad.
You're all idiots, but I'm no different.
Jun 20, 2013 3:39 AM

Sep 2012
cuntologics said:

I watched from start to finish this morning and I can't say much, I'm speechless as I'm typing not speaking.

.... I'm sorry for Simon but I don't know why he had to go and live that kind of life afterwards.. It's really rather.. sad.

if you thought the series was amazing, try the second movie, and skip to the space arc, you wont miss much else since the majority of movie 1 and and 2 are recaps, but space arc onwards in movie 2 is just bloody ridiculous, the series took the crazy notch up to 12, the 2nd movie takes it up to 20
Jun 20, 2013 3:40 AM

Jan 2009
eldest said:
cuntologics said:

if you thought the series was amazing, try the second movie, and skip to the space arc, you wont miss much else since the majority of movie 1 and and 2 are recaps, but space arc onwards in movie 2 is just bloody ridiculous, the series took the crazy notch up to 12, the 2nd movie takes it up to 20

i bloody agree the second movie was darn amazing
Jun 20, 2013 3:58 AM

Sep 2012
j0x said:
eldest said:
cuntologics said:

i bloody agree the second movie was darn amazing

SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

cant wait for my damn blurays.
the movie on dvd was one of the best looking anime movies ive ever seen, comparable to a lot of anime i have on bluray. theyve apparently rescanned the entire thing for bluray.
i dont even know if my body will be ready, less than 2 weeks now
Jun 20, 2013 4:03 AM

Jan 2013
I feel compelled coming back here

Jun 26, 2013 1:22 AM

Jul 2010
I laughed at this astronomically big robot.
Probably, only Gainax can make this ridiculous size. I like it. :3
>SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN
Jun 26, 2013 2:20 AM

Sep 2012
kusushi said:
I laughed at this astronomically big robot.
Probably, only Gainax can make this ridiculous size. I like it. :3
>SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN

christ, and to think they didnt even get the scale at the end right lol.
they got it as 15x10^26 metres
it should be
(528 billion lightyears) = 4.995159 × 10^27 metres

crazy stuff, really gives you a sense of the scales involved in ttgl though
Jun 26, 2013 4:15 AM

Jul 2010
eldest said:
kusushi said:

it should be

Yeah, indeed. lol. I don't know exactly about lightyear length, but you need a decimal point.
This video shows,
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN = 52.8 oku kounen = 5.28 billion lightyears
SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN = 150 billion lightyears
SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GIGA DRILL = 1.5 chou kounen = 1.5 trillion lightyears
kusushiJun 26, 2013 4:22 AM
Jun 26, 2013 5:40 AM

Sep 2012
kusushi said:
eldest said:
kusushi said:

it should be

Yeah, indeed. lol. I don't know exactly about lightyear length, but you need a decimal point.
This video shows,
TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN = 52.8 oku kounen = 5.28 billion lightyears
SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN = 150 billion lightyears
SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GIGA DRILL = 1.5 chou kounen = 1.5 trillion lightyears

i think the actual sizes according to the guidebooks are

TTGL: ~10 million lightyears
STTGL: ~52.8 billion lightyears
STTGL with giga drill is given as at least 10x the size, but if you look at the little speck below the massive drill, its apparent that its quite a lot more than that.
Jul 8, 2013 6:35 AM

Mar 2013
This episode gave me goosebumps and had me bawling at the same time. I'm still trying to really grasp the immensity of what I saw. This series had its flaws, sure - but underneath all of the cliche and cheesiness and loud, flashy action scenes beats a heart that's warm and true and so very, very human. I've heard it said so many times, but now I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this show is truly epic in scope, both in the story it tells and in the message it gives to its audience.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jul 8, 2013 6:40 AM

Sep 2012
Imanza said:
This episode gave me goosebumps and had me bawling at the same time. I'm still trying to really grasp the immensity of what I saw. This series had its flaws, sure - but underneath all of the cliche and cheesiness and loud, flashy action scenes beats a heart that's warm and true and so very, very human. I've heard it said so many times, but now I can say without a shadow of a doubt that this show is truly epic in scope, both in the story it tells and in the message it gives to its audience.
agreed
Jul 8, 2013 6:46 AM

Jan 2013
bachou said:
the ending is too sad , dont like it
More like bittersweet ending.

Jul 9, 2013 6:17 PM
May 2012
This series is an ok for me I didn't like it that much. I enjoyed it at first even though I'm not a fan of mecha but after that kissing part between kamina and yoko I started to not enjoy it that much if that didn't happened I would have liked it more

The ending is sad for me after all simon did and went through that's what he gets?

TengaiJul 10, 2013 7:57 AM
Jul 12, 2013 7:40 AM

Sep 2012
literally the greatest episode with the greatest ending for the greatest anime ever made.
(this spoiler is gonna have heaps of screenshots in it)

and so ends the greatest show ever created
eldestJul 12, 2013 7:43 AM
Jul 12, 2013 7:38 PM

Mar 2013
eldest said:
literally the greatest episode with the greatest ending for the greatest anime ever made.
(this spoiler is gonna have heaps of screenshots in it)

and so ends the greatest show ever created
Thanks for the eyegasm man, quality stuff.
"Go bald, Kurosaki."

Jul 12, 2013 8:07 PM

Sep 2012
Imanza said:
Thanks for the eyegasm man, quality stuff.

wait till you see it in full motion, these screenshots are also downscaled to less than 720p.
the blurays are literally >5x better when even comparing stillframes.
In motion, dear god its amazing, best $550 i ever spent on a bluray.

havent even watched the 2 movies yet, and theyre animated even better than the series ever was.

for comparison, heres what one looks like at original size
eldestJul 13, 2013 4:19 AM
Jul 15, 2013 12:53 PM
Apr 2011
Typical Gainax...always giving the hero a sad ending. Simon deserves a happy end for his universe shattering effort and perseverance.
Jul 15, 2013 9:56 PM
Jul 2012
WOW! I have to admit I was really skeptic towards this anime. I dropped this series but eventually picked it up after a few months and overall really, really enjoyed it. 10/10
Jul 16, 2013 4:22 PM

Jul 2013
HOLY CRAP I AM SO FREAKING EMOTIONAL RIGHT NOW AHHHHHHHHHHH I DON'T EVEN. I CAN'T EVEN.. Greatest anime. No, greatest show, movie, and story ever created. I can't even describe how much I loved this. I'll miss it! I LOVE YOU YOKO!!!! Damn I feel bad for her. Both of the guys she loved died.
Jul 23, 2013 7:38 AM

Dec 2011
I'm speechless... I'm so glad that I picked this show up. I really enjoyed the show from start to finish it was simply amazing. I enjoyed the second arc the most, all those epic fight scenes and animation were intense and I got to hand it to the staff for making this a very great and fun ride. Overall: 10/10
Jul 25, 2013 4:35 PM
Jul 2018
This is most craziest anime I have ever seen and it was awesome.I was very teary in the end of it.Poor Nia
Jul 26, 2013 11:20 AM

Jan 2010
windy said:
accela said:
I'm still upset that Episode 1's intro wasn't Episode 27's end...
ME TOO :(

yea same
IM SUPER UPSET IM DONE WITH THIS ANIME, I AM LEGIT CRYING
GOODBYE
Jul 26, 2013 7:46 PM

Sep 2012
Arigatoful said:
windy said:
accela said:
I'm still upset that Episode 1's intro wasn't Episode 27's end...
ME TOO :(

yea same
IM SUPER UPSET IM DONE WITH THIS ANIME, I AM LEGIT CRYING
GOODBYE

watch the movies yet?
movie 2 has an even crazier end than the series.
Jul 28, 2013 8:44 AM

Sep 2010
NOOOO NIA YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO LIVE HAPPILY WITH SIMON AND OMFG THAT TIME SKIP I DIDN'T EVEN SHED A TEAR UNTIL THEN! Dx

9/10 only cause the first few episodes were not that great.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Aug 6, 2013 9:26 PM
Oct 2010
I don't know what it was, but I enjoyed this show immensely more with a second watch. Maybe it's because of all the stress in my life and this show's focus on being positive and uplifting. The first time I guess I wasn't in the state of mind to really get into it, but damn, it was really something else this time.

The blu-ray quality is also insane, the animation looks increasingly better, and approaches ova quality coming to the end.
Aug 7, 2013 12:27 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
I don't know what it was, but I enjoyed this show immensely more with a second watch. Maybe it's because of all the stress in my life and this show's focus on being positive and uplifting. The first time I guess I wasn't in the state of mind to really get into it, but damn, it was really something else this time.

The blu-ray quality is also insane, the animation looks increasingly better, and approaches ova quality coming to the end.

it looked amazing on bluray quality, easily the best looking series out
Aug 7, 2013 5:34 PM
Oct 2010
eldest said:
skudoops said:

it looked amazing on bluray quality, easily the best looking series out

For a series? Yeah, I think the only thing I like more is MSMM's surreal aesthetic. The end there was really close to OVA like Unicorn and Eva Rebuilds though.. I was like wow.
Pages (24) « First ... « 12 13 [14] 15 16 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Sep 1, 2007

162 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 8:04 PM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 25, 2007

180 by TheStarscream759 »»
May 30, 7:33 PM

» Too much sexism and homophobia here, I feel bad

Dije - May 10

22 by KayKimii »»
May 10, 9:40 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Krelian - Apr 25, 2007

204 by Trash_Monkeyy »»
Apr 16, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

windy - Aug 19, 2007

174 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 1, 12:51 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.