Forum Settings
Forums

Japan's Weekly Blu-ray & CD Rankings for Aug 5 - 11

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Aug 13, 2013 10:48 AM

Nov 2008
Kaioshin_Sama said:
The other question I'm curious about is what does this trend mean for male seiyuu if anything?

It's most likely the same for male seiyuu as well.

Aug 13, 2013 10:50 AM

Dec 2012
Hoppy said:
So the next generation of idols can do almost anything in the entertainment business, I'm surprised this hasn't started earlier.

Because it's not easy to be a meta entertainer. Each profession requires a different skill set:
Seiyuu: Voice acting
Movie star: Physical acting
Singer: Singing ability
Model: body ofc
Many people think those skills are easily transferable, but those are not unless with the help of representing agency (which is my next point). Most importantly, a meta entertainer has to be skillful at communication to 'charm' the public like what Mimori does in my spoiler video. Older generations of Seiyuu, although participating in regular anime promotional events, are not really out-there promoting themselves like the younger generation.

Another reason for a Seiyuu to rise to meta-entertainer is the support of representing agency. Historically, Seiyuu agencies are not fond of investing money into educating their VAs in other fields because a) agencies have to spend a big sum, and b) they risk losing a constant, reliable source of income from voice acting's activities. Not to mention experience is very important in Seiyuu's casting. The more show you have done, the more likely that you are offered new ones or offered main roles. Thus the risk of being "track of all trades, master of none" refrains Seiyuu agencies from moving ahead with the idea.

Today, the rise of idol 2.5D helps negate that problem a bit for Seiyuu agencies. In addition, people look across the pond to the successful meta-entertainers of K-Pop industry to revive a model that Japaneses started but were surpassed by Koreans.
ThangLongAug 13, 2013 10:54 AM
Aug 13, 2013 10:54 AM
Jul 2013
Hoppy said:
symbv said:
Hoppy said:
So the next generation of idols can do almost anything in the entertainment business, I'm surprised this hasn't started earlier.
Hmm.. Idols can do (or are asked to do) almost anything in the entertainment business and this has not changed. The difference is the next generation of SEIYUU is becoming idols, thus they now can be seen to do many things in the entertainment business.

Hopefully the next generation of seiyuu get compensated better (talk about stressful things will be 2-5 years from now), but from the looks of things, I doubt it.

The popular ones are already well compensated, especially if they break free from an agency. This is a business where we have a few big winners and a lot of losers.

Bit players (the masses of seiyuu doing the odd secondary role, bit part, etc.) make peanuts, and they'll never be promoted into an idol role.
Aug 13, 2013 11:04 AM
Aug 2011
Hooray for Maou-sama and Splash Free.
*throws water at the screen*
Aug 13, 2013 11:07 AM

Nov 2008
Yause said:
Hoppy said:
symbv said:
Hoppy said:
Hmm.. Idols can do (or are asked to do) almost anything in the entertainment business and this has not changed. The difference is the next generation of SEIYUU is becoming idols, thus they now can be seen to do many things in the entertainment business.

Hopefully the next generation of seiyuu get compensated better (talk about stressful things will be 2-5 years from now), but from the looks of things, I doubt it.

The popular ones are already well compensated, especially if they break free from an agency. This is a business where we have a few big winners and a lot of losers.

Bit players (the masses of seiyuu doing the odd secondary role, bit part, etc.) make peanuts, and they'll never be promoted into an idol role.

I get the feeling their will be way more bit players, even fewer popular seiyuu, and possibly no middle ground in 5 years. I hate to be in a studio during an audition, the amount of rejections would break my poor soft heart.

Aug 13, 2013 11:32 AM

Sep 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
The other question I'm curious about is what does this trend mean for male seiyuu if anything?
I think if you look at UtaPrince, Free, and KuroBas you should be able to tell the answer. If anything the idolization is even more advanced in male seiyuu because the enthusiasm of female watchers can often be even more intense and focused. It is reflected in the much stronger effect of event ticket or concert ticket effect for BD/DVD sales for example.

This also creates good business for seiyuu magazines - I think there are perhaps almost 10 (if not more) magazines in Japan that focus only on seiyuu. For example the following magazine Seiyuu Grand Prix had its sales jumped several times because of the cover:
If it looks familiar it is because of this:
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 13, 2013 12:10 PM

Nov 2008
*1, 8,680 *8,680 Hatarakou Maou-sama! vol.2
*4, 1,444 *,**1,444 Hatarakou Maou-sama! vol.2

Getting ready for season 2 already
Aug 13, 2013 1:15 PM

Nov 2011
Hatarakou Maou-sama!'s sale results gave me a big happy face. Nice to see Free! up there as well in terms of the CD single sales.
Aug 13, 2013 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
really happy to see Hataraku Maou-sama! is doing well can't wait for a second season was my favorite surprise of last season
Aug 13, 2013 2:18 PM

Mar 2011
parfaited said:
Seasons 2 for both, I pray.
Aug 13, 2013 2:25 PM

Jul 2010
Edefrem said:
parfaited said:
Seasons 2 for both, I pray.

This pretty much. Maou-sama was a really fun time, and well Free! is just AOTY All Years. :)
Aug 13, 2013 2:37 PM
Jun 2013
Agreeing with most people here: Glad Maou-sama is selling well!

Hopefully we won't have to wait too long for a second season :).
Aug 13, 2013 2:41 PM

Nov 2008
I wouldn't mind a second season of Maou-sama.

Aug 13, 2013 2:45 PM

Oct 2012
Yay~ Hataraku first for BD :D

I didn't expect Aiura to be third though o.o

Aug 13, 2013 2:54 PM

Nov 2008
jmal said:
Takei_Hisa said:
I didn't expect Aiura to be third though o.o

Ranking is very relative, and this was a slow week so it doesn't take much. Next week will be even slower.

Yeah, but at least I'll know the ranking for Hinata's character CD.

Aug 13, 2013 3:09 PM

Dec 2012
Kaioshin_Sama said:
But wait though, are you saying that Love Live uses some form of motion capture or is there something I'm missing here. Do fans in Japan equate the Love Live characters with their voice actress and vice versa or something then.

I assume you are asking about 2.5D idol trend? This is what I wrote Love Live! forum a while ago in an attempt to interpret it

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=582325#msg22439223
Aug 13, 2013 3:13 PM

Jun 2012
Hoppy said:

Yeah, but at least I'll know the ranking for Hinata's character CD.

Since it's Yui Ogura I am expecting solid sales. She is a rising star and a very talented seiyuu.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Aug 13, 2013 3:34 PM

Mar 2012
Maou-Sama is doing well, at least.

The rest of that is somewhat depressing.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 13, 2013 4:22 PM

May 2013
*8, 32,374 *32,374 Free! ED "Splash Free"

This pleases me.
Also very happy to see the character songs doing well.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Aug 13, 2013 4:25 PM

Mar 2012
Good to see traumerai selling. Waiting for DxD second OP now that's out in 21st this month.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Aug 13, 2013 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
LMFAO

Leviathan didnt sell any copies. Gonzo, just give it up.
Aug 13, 2013 4:31 PM

Jan 2013
jmal said:
SolviteSekai said:
Leviathan didnt sell any copies.

Didn't rank. Not the same as "didn't sell any". It's terrible sales either way but let's not overplay it...

Its a turn of phrase.
Aug 13, 2013 5:07 PM

Mar 2009
wtf is peeping life? peeping life: Tezuka and Tatsunoko Production Wonderland.. looks odd, i'm curious, seems like there is some different animation/ series of peeping life.
Aug 13, 2013 7:09 PM

Sep 2012
saiyagok said:
wtf is peeping life? peeping life: Tezuka and Tatsunoko Production Wonderland.. looks odd, i'm curious, seems like there is some different animation/ series of peeping life.
You can click on the hyperlink I put along with the title on the chart I posted to see how kind of animation it is like. It leads to the official website of the anime.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 13, 2013 7:58 PM

Jul 2013
DraconisMarch said:
Go Hataraku go!
Aug 13, 2013 9:28 PM

Mar 2012
SolviteSekai said:
LMFAO

It's pretty sad because the show actually isn't that bad from what I've seen.

Better than one specific show that seems to have taken the anime world by storm...
Let's go bowling.
Aug 13, 2013 10:47 PM

Jan 2009
taketori said:
How many volumes do short anime need to sell to roughly break even?

2000 disc sales to break-even
Aug 13, 2013 10:53 PM
Jul 2013
Is it safe to assume that there will be a season 2 of Hataraku Maou-sama?
Aug 13, 2013 11:22 PM

Sep 2012
j0x said:
taketori said:
How many volumes do short anime need to sell to roughly break even?
2000 disc sales to break-even
Mind telling us where you find this information?

Aug 14, 2013 12:03 AM

Aug 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
SolviteSekai said:
LMFAO

Better than one specific show that seems to have taken the anime world by storm...

Haha, oh you! Of course you'd even go through such lengths as comparing 2 almost unrelated animes to bring such a topic up. Your elitism is getting so funny now, because you're a lot more desperate in bringing up how much you hate it - much more than how a casual fan would blurt out in random places about how much he likes his favourite show.

On-topic: What's this with people still asking about a 2nd Season of Hataraku? Hasn't this been confirmed on the last episode already?
Aug 14, 2013 12:13 AM

Sep 2012
Beaver897 said:
On-topic: What's this with people still asking about a 2nd Season of Hataraku? Hasn't this been confirmed on the last episode already?
I don't see any confirmation about a 2nd season in the last episode of Hataraku though.

Aug 14, 2013 12:21 AM

Dec 2011
symbv said:
Beaver897 said:
I don't see any confirmation about a 2nd season in the last episode of Hataraku though.

Maybe he's got it mixed up with Date a Live
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Aug 14, 2013 12:33 AM

Jul 2013
So happy about Hataraku.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 14, 2013 1:19 AM

Aug 2012
kuuderes_shadow said:
symbv said:
Beaver897 said:

Maybe he's got it mixed up with Date a Live

Ah, dammit, that is right. All this time, I already thought it was confirmed and such. Shouldn't really change anything, though, because I'm still confident that it will have a 2nd season.
Aug 14, 2013 1:54 AM

Sep 2012
Remember though:

Good disc sales ≠ 2nd season

And...

Bad disc sales ≠ no 2nd season

You can't imply a second season from good sales or vice versa. There are exceptions to both cases so don't count on or give up hope on your anime series on these numbers alone.
Aug 14, 2013 3:19 AM
Jun 2013
hpulley said:
Remember though:

Good disc sales ≠ 2nd season

And...

Bad disc sales ≠ no 2nd season

You can't imply a second season from good sales or vice versa. There are exceptions to both cases so don't count on or give up hope on your anime series on these numbers alone.

This depends on the genre of anime. Kids' shows gets at least 2nd seasons regardless of how disc sales go these days.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Aug 14, 2013 3:27 AM

Sep 2012
^^^ Daytime anime TV series get paid more than late night stuff but they too rely on a lot of merchandising but the discs are less important.
Aug 14, 2013 3:53 AM
Jun 2013
hpulley said:
^^^ Daytime anime TV series get paid more than late night stuff but they too rely on a lot of merchandising but the discs are less important.

For anime like Battle Spirits, Danball Senki, B-Daman, PreCure & Pretty Rhythm, this is true. But for anime like Oshiri Kajiri Mushi (this get a second season this fall and gets announced quite early than other kids' anime), that sort or reasoning is a little bit off.
Nothing is bad for being in any genre or demographic, especially anime for kids.
Aug 14, 2013 3:56 AM
Sep 2012
Hoping for 70k for SnK volume 1 next week. And madoka 100k also. Though it looks like things will be slowing down for the moment. Oh well. Happy for hataraku maou fujoshi steadily buying dem discs. Aiura great sales as well. Good week.
Aug 14, 2013 4:27 AM

Sep 2012
murazrai said:
For anime like Battle Spirits, Danball Senki, B-Daman, PreCure & Pretty Rhythm, this is true. But for anime like Oshiri Kajiri Mushi (this get a second season this fall and gets announced quite early than other kids' anime), that sort or reasoning is a little bit off.
But that is because Oshiri Kajiri Mushi is syndicated by NHK, the public broadcaster, which does not need to worry about return and profit for the program. Any decision of a 2nd season is more determined by how worthy NHK deems the program is rather than its merchandising revenue.

Aug 14, 2013 4:39 AM
Jun 2013
symbv said:
But that is because Oshiri Kajiri Mushi is syndicated by NHK, the public broadcaster, which does not need to worry about return and profit for the program. Any decision of a 2nd season is more determined by how worthy NHK deems the program is rather than its merchandising revenue.

That explanation does makes sense. The premise itself is quite funny too.
Aug 14, 2013 4:42 AM

Sep 2012
murazrai said:
symbv said:

That explanation does makes sense. The premise itself is quite funny too.
The title is funny enough! "Ass Biting Bug" could have been a great ecchi late night show however LOL
Aug 14, 2013 5:18 AM

Mar 2012
Beaver897 said:
StopDropAndBowl said:
SolviteSekai said:
LMFAO

Haha, oh you! Of course you'd even go through such lengths as comparing 2 almost unrelated animes to bring such a topic up. Your elitism is getting so funny now, because you're a lot more desperate in bringing up how much you hate it - much more than how a casual fan would blurt out in random places about how much he likes his favourite show.

I don't hate the show, I actually find it to be incredibly compelling; especially in terms of sales. I think it reveals a lot about the tastes of the common anime fan when it sells so well as opposed to other shows. Not anything necessarily negative, but definitely says some things about the trends and tastes of the people who drive the industry.

And I daresay I'm slightly more interested in the show (and how well it sells) than the casual fan.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 14, 2013 5:34 AM
Sep 2012
^ Zettai Bouei is a gree mobage by the way. And a popular one to boot. You don't see many mobage being adapted into anime. That alone makes this show already a success regardless of "bluray" sales.

Zettai Bouei franchise is literally swimming in money (well...e-money) as of the moment, they don't really care if the anime sells 10 copies or not.
Aug 14, 2013 6:21 AM

Mar 2012
That's true, but I still think they wanted the show to do well on it's own. This seemed like a bit of a test-run to see how well the franchise could be built, and especially at how well using anime to market something else works. Maybe the anime did enough to boost game-sales/merchandising/exposure to justify the cost, but I kind of doubt it.

Besides, there are other low selling anime.
Let's go bowling.
Aug 14, 2013 8:08 AM

Nov 2008
bippo said:
^ Zettai Bouei is a gree mobage by the way. And a popular one to boot. You don't see many mobage being adapted into anime. That alone makes this show already a success regardless of "bluray" sales.

Zettai Bouei franchise is literally swimming in money (well...e-money) as of the moment, they don't really care if the anime sells 10 copies or not.

That game looks severely below average, granted it's nowhere near as bad as Fantasista Doll Girls Royale but still, pretty much yawnworthy.

Aug 14, 2013 8:15 AM

Sep 2012
Zettai Bouei Leviathan is one of those anime that the BD/DVD fails to sell at all but somehow many people have watched it and know about it. The recent re-broadcast with a new flash video extra at each episode still generates buzzes and talks in forums and blogs in Japan. And merchandise is already being released for the franchise...

Aug 14, 2013 8:17 AM

Nov 2008
symbv said:
Zettai Bouei Leviathan is one of those anime that the BD/DVD fails to sell at all but somehow many people have watched it and know about it. The recent re-broadcast with a new flash video extra at each episode still generates buzzes and talks in forums and blogs in Japan. And merchandise is already being released for the franchise...

I haven't seen any figures or nendoroids though, but seen a daki of Levia and various mugs and card sleeves.

Aug 14, 2013 8:20 AM

Sep 2012
Hoppy said:
I haven't seen any figures or nendoroids though, but seen a daki of Levia and various mugs and card sleeves.
Yeah, this is why I said merchandise is being released instead of figures being released :-) although I have a feeling that figures will come sooner or later...

Aug 14, 2013 5:27 PM
Sep 2012
Free! climbing up over monogatari on amazon with ease again after THAT episode.

Steady on animate.

Also beating monogatari and SnK on HMV.

Free! sales might(?) or will go above chuu2koi levels. Stalker is underestimating for sure.

First 10k+ original anime this year? Love Live doesn't count isn't it?
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Kyoto Animation Adapts 'Nichijou' Author's 'City' Manga for 2025 TV Anime

Vindstot - 9 hours ago

31 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» Fall 2024 Preview

Snow - 5 hours ago

3 by deg »»
2 hours ago

» Board Game 'Murder Mystery of the Dead' Gets TV Anime in Fall 2024

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

10 by RobertBobert »»
2 hours ago

» 'Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon: Samishigariya no Ryuu' Anime Movie Announced for 2025

Vindstot - 9 hours ago

18 by Anime_Luv »»
4 hours ago

» J.C.Staff Produces 'Kidou Keisatsu Patlabor: EZY' Anime for 2026

Vindstot - Sep 19

27 by RobertBobert »»
4 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.