Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 7, 2013 7:59 AM

Nov 2007
This is for who will be the center in the 6th single PV.

Maki is the center for the 6th single PV!
Total votes cast from March 31~April 22 was 91,723 from the 3 rounds of voting, where the 3rd round was longer than the other 2 rounds.

Voting Periods:

1st round of voting ran from March 31~April 5.
2nd round of voting ran from April 7~12.
3rd round of voting ran from April 14~22.

Results:

The results are now out.

1st interim report was released at 23:30 on Apr 7.
2nd interim report was released at 23:30 on Apr 14.
Final Top 3 ranks was released on May 27.
Final ranks 4~9 was released in the Dengeki G's Magazine on May 30.

Interim reports and the May 27 final report (in Japanese):

Key: Final Rank / Cumulative Rank / 2nd Rank / 1st Rank / Movement / Name

*1 *1 *1 *1 → Maki
*2 *2 *2 *2 → Eri
*3 *3 *3 *3 → Honoka
*4 *4 *5 *7 → Rin
*5 *7 *6 *6 ↑2 Niko
*6 *8 *4 *9 ↑2 Hanayo
*7 *5 *7 *5 ↓2 Umi
*8 *9 *9 *8 ↑1 Nozomi
*9 *6 *8 *4 ↓3 Kotori
EjcMay 30, 2013 11:24 PM
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Apr 8, 2013 6:19 PM

Jul 2008
Ooh, thank you for linking us to the poll, I've been trying to find this everywhere!

I'm happy to see that Maki is in the lead so far, would like it if she was the center this time. (Though I'm secretly happy to see that Kotori is still in the top 5 since she's my favorite character x3)
Though I am really shocked to see Eri as second on the list considering the last few polls that were done, she's always been extremely low. Aaannnd Honoka has already had the 1st, 2nd, and 4th PV, if she becomes center again I'm shooting someone D:<
Apr 13, 2013 9:14 AM

Nov 2007
MoonlitKaitou said:
Ooh, thank you for linking us to the poll, I've been trying to find this everywhere!

Glad to be of service, haha :P

MoonlitKaitou said:
I'm happy to see that Maki is in the lead so far, would like it if she was the center this time. (Though I'm secretly happy to see that Kotori is still in the top 5 since she's my favorite character x3)

That's what i'm hoping for!

MoonlitKaitou said:
Though I am really shocked to see Eri as second on the list considering the last few polls that were done, she's always been extremely low.

Perhaps it's due to the anime adaptation? I heard that her character was changed in the anime. Apparently Umi and Eri were actually quite close... but that wasn't the case in the anime initially.

MoonlitKaitou said:
Aaannnd Honoka has already had the 1st, 2nd, and 4th PV, if she becomes center again I'm shooting someone D:<

I sure hope not... there are 9 in μ’s, and they all need a chance to be center! xD

You seem to have been following μ’s for quite a while now? That's nice to see :) I only got into them when the anime started, lol.

Well, the 2nd interim report will be out at 23:30 JST on April 14th btw!
The News Club: Quality News/Discussion (anime, CDs, manga, novels, games, seiyuu), & sales data (daily, weekly, mid-year, yearly).
Apr 13, 2013 10:21 AM

Sep 2012
Well, the anime already told us the result in advance LOL

So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Apr 13, 2013 8:16 PM

Jul 2008
Ejc said:
Perhaps it's due to the anime adaptation? I heard that her character was changed in the anime. Apparently Umi and Eri were actually quite close... but that wasn't the case in the anime initially.

I believe her newly found popularity is probably from the anime adaptation as well :3. And about Umi and Eri- that's probably true because in the 1st PV, Bokura no Live Kimi to no Life, you can see Umi and Eri hanging out with each other like they're friends rather than Nozomi and Eri. Although it looks like there were a few things that were changed around a little or were very similar~

Ejc said:
You seem to have been following μ’s for quite a while now? That's nice to see :) I only got into them when the anime started, lol.

Well, the 2nd interim report will be out at 23:30 JST on April 14th btw!

Haha, yeah I've been following them ever since the 2nd PV came out, so... late 2010 ^^' - I was really excited when I heard about Love Live! becoming an anime. But I'm glad that there are more fans becoming interested in the series!

And yes, I'm hoping Maki will retain the lead- can't wait for the next set of results <3

symbv said:

Lol! That's actually pretty weird xD
Apr 14, 2013 8:18 AM

Nov 2007
MoonlitKaitou said:
symbv said:

Lol! That's actually pretty weird xD

Lol, maybe there's a time traveller amongst the anime staff xD

The results are now out. Here's a compacted summary of the rankings now.

Key: Cumulative Rank / 2nd Rank / 1st Rank / Movement / Name

*1 *1 *1 → Maki
*2 *2 *2 → Eri
*3 *3 *3 → Honoka
*4 *5 *7 ↑3 Rin
*5 *7 *5 → Umi
*6 *8 *4 ↓2 Kotori
*7 *6 *6 ↓1 Niko
*8 *4 *9 ↑1 Hanayo
*9 *9 *8 ↓1 Nozomi
May 27, 2013 5:45 AM

Sep 2012
So the result is out !!! No change in the positions for the top 3. My pic above still foretold the result in a most uncanny way. ;-)

http://news.lovelive-anime.jp/app-def/S-102/news/?p=3412

The actual vote count will be announced later on Thursday on Love Live home page.

It is interesting to see the top 3 has really good balance - one 1st year one 2nd year and one 3rd year.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
May 28, 2013 8:48 AM

Sep 2012
Why oh why does Kotori become the last in the final vote count ?!?!?

I blame the depiction of Kotori in the last 2 episodes of the anime for her poor performance!!

May 30, 2013 4:27 AM

Nov 2007
symbv said:
So the result is out !!! No change in the positions for the top 3. My pic above still foretold the result in a most uncanny way. ;-)

http://news.lovelive-anime.jp/app-def/S-102/news/?p=3412

The actual vote count will be announced later on Thursday on Love Live home page.

It is interesting to see the top 3 has really good balance - one 1st year one 2nd year and one 3rd year.

Lol hahaha, that is so true. As a Maki fan, i'm so freaking happy about this result :)

I shall update my 1st point again. Thanks for the details about the vote count being announced later on.
May 30, 2013 4:35 AM

Nov 2007
symbv said:
Why oh why does Kotori become the last in the final vote count ?!?!?

I blame the depiction of Kotori in the last 2 episodes of the anime for her poor performance!!

She's been on a downwards trend ever since the voting started (4→6→9). Wouldn't the last few episodes have also affected Honoka's ranking? Unless being the "main" heroine insulated her from dropping in rank... but it could've easily prevented her from hitting #1.
May 30, 2013 6:22 AM

Sep 2012
Ejc said:
Wouldn't the last few episodes have also affected Honoka's ranking? Unless being the "main" heroine insulated her from dropping in rank... but it could've easily prevented her from hitting #1.
Well, from what I read in Japanese forum, Kotori took heavier hit from the depiction in the last few episodes than Honoka. I guess people understand Honoka's forward-charging keen spirits than Kotori -- the ploy about going overseas is stupid in the first place, and Kotori hiding it all the time and then suddenly saying she must go looks even stupider (not to say, she could be pulled back at the airport - what happens to the luggage sent to the place? What about the school overseas? The people who called her to come (and presumably got her ok answer)? And then all the people she needs to go around in Japan to explain etc...

I would say that Honoka is indeed somewhat protected by her being the main heroine. There are people who are quite loyal to that.

May 30, 2013 6:57 AM

Apr 2011
yay~

Maki <3
Jun 1, 2013 4:31 AM

Nov 2007
symbv said:
Ejc said:
Wouldn't the last few episodes have also affected Honoka's ranking? Unless being the "main" heroine insulated her from dropping in rank... but it could've easily prevented her from hitting #1.
Well, from what I read in Japanese forum, Kotori took heavier hit from the depiction in the last few episodes than Honoka. I guess people understand Honoka's forward-charging keen spirits than Kotori -- the ploy about going overseas is stupid in the first place, and Kotori hiding it all the time and then suddenly saying she must go looks even stupider (not to say, she could be pulled back at the airport - what happens to the luggage sent to the place? What about the school overseas? The people who called her to come (and presumably got her ok answer)? And then all the people she needs to go around in Japan to explain etc...

I would say that Honoka is indeed somewhat protected by her being the main heroine. There are people who are quite loyal to that.

Hmm, I sort of do agree with the analysis that people in the Japanese forums have made. I mean Honoka and Kotori have been friends for so long, and yet Kotori did not even tell Honoka that she was going to study abroad until too late IMO.

In regards to the logistics of travelling and such not being explained, well I don't think that would actually damage Kotori's reputation but just the reception of the Love Live! itself, where a tiny few (a lot more are disgruntled or did not even think of things like that in the western fandom) would probably not like such "plot holes". Maybe it's not so relevant to the story though...

Anyway, the momentum of Love Live! did slow after episode 12 aired... so there must've been something that Kotori did that caused her to end up last in the 5th General Election.
Jun 1, 2013 4:51 AM

Sep 2012
Ejc said:
Anyway, the momentum of Love Live! did slow after episode 12 aired... so there must've been something that Kotori did that caused her to end up last in the 5th General Election.
Actually I am quite surprised at how the momentum is being kept for Love Live. Even now, the BD vol.1 is on the oricon chart... And besides it, news about Love Live keeps coming (and get reported in Japanese forums): The election, the new single by Nico/Rin/Hanayo, the new mobile game http://lovelive.bushimo.jp/ where you need to recruit members for Love Live (which involves a bit of luck and the strip comic fans compile using footage from the anime is hilarious), the coming Love Live concert (which will be even broadcast live in cinemas because the demand is so high, and even after that there are numerous reports of fans failing to even get those tickets to watch the concert in theaters). I am really impressed by how hardworking the production staff keep Love Live in limelight so long after the anime has ended.

Here is one strip comic compiled by fans about the mobile game:

Another one:

SO FUNNY ~~~~
symbvJun 1, 2013 4:55 AM

Jun 1, 2013 5:13 AM

Nov 2007
symbv said:
Ejc said:
Actually I am quite surprised at how the momentum is being kept for Love Live. Even now, the BD vol.1 is on the oricon chart... And besides it, news about Love Live keeps coming (and get reported in Japanese forums): The election, the new single by Nico/Rin/Hanayo, the new mobile game http://lovelive.bushimo.jp/ where you need to recruit members for Love Live (which involves a bit of luck and the strip comic fans compile using footage from the anime is hilarious), the coming Love Live concert (which will be even broadcast live in cinemas because the demand is so high, and even after that there are numerous reports of fans failing to even get those tickets to watch the concert in theaters). I am really impressed by how hardworking the production staff keep Love Live in limelight so long after the anime has ended.

I guess you're right. It's still inching up to 30k for BD v1, which was what I hoped it would eventually reach. I'm hoping all the other volumes will reach at least 22k or so.

I've seen a lot of that coverage through the official Twitter account as well. You could possibly partially gauge how big the interest is still, based on how many retweets/favourites an "important" tweet gets.

I wish I could play the mobile game... too bad I have a smartphone with the Android OS, but it looks like it'll have an Android OS version soon!

Nice to hear about the high demand of the tickets to see the Love Live! concert at theatres. The actual venue must be fully booked already for this to happen, which is nice.

symbv said:
Here is one strip comic compiled by fans about the mobile game:

LOL, I love Maki's expression in screencap 12. It looks like she's scowling instead of being scared/really anticipating of the result like the other girls are.

symbv said:
Another one:

SO FUNNY ~~~~

Thanks for posting these, had a good laugh hahaha.
Jun 1, 2013 7:16 AM

Sep 2012
LoveLive! has an advantage over most anime in that it has survived for years WITHOUT its anime. They have been releasing singles for years now and are continuing to do so, highly anticipated each one. I still have a bunch preordered and look for more all the time:
ラブライブ!μ’s広報部~にこりんぱな~Vol.1
TVアニメ ラブライブ! ユニットシングル 2nd session

Poor Kotori I think also suffers as her seiyuu's vocals are not that strong. Forgetting the characters if I was to choose one to sing she would not be at the top of my list.

Hanayo's seiyuu Yurika impressed me with her single in the 3rd BD. 2nd-last place is not well deserved there but I guess her character doesn't do too much but on the 3rd BD she is prominent. I realize checking her MAL page that I own everything she has done so far! I own all of LiveLive! including the Best Album with all the PVs, all Kotoura-san so far and all Sakurasou so far.
Jun 1, 2013 7:23 AM

Dec 2012
That's great, let's me join the fun!!

All I can say is, poor Kotori-Chan :{

We all know that Maki is gonna win. But Kotori got the bad end of the reception because of her "villainous" role at the end of season 1. On the other hand, Eri has recovered quickly from her antagonistic role in the mid season.

Here is the quick look at previous rankings from PV 2 - 5:

Compare this to the current ranking we can see that both Eri and Honoka got a big boost from the anime, while Kotori and Umi got a big lump. Toward the end, Eri understood and helped Honoka, while Kotori and Umi messed with her. The verdict from this election is as clear as ever: "U NO MESS WITH MAIN GURL HONOKA." :))

Jun 1, 2013 10:52 AM

Dec 2012
First, let's look at the history of Idol Anime:

----------

Right at the beginning, Love Live! is a multimedia project that follows the recent successful method of the Idolm@aster, aiming to expand the previously thought niche-market of idol anime.

More than 5 years ago, idol-theme anime was considered barren market due to relatively low interest from RL idol fans to watch 2D girls with the low 17 frames/sec dance choreography. More importantly, adult male otaku watching Slice of Life were engulfed in every-day stories with abundant fan-service at the height of harem's genre. Everyone at the time thought music only belongs in anime's OP and ED.

Then, in 2006, that concert from the Haruhi's series happened as the shot heard around the anime world. Pure musical was embraced at every corner, especially by younger otaku who grow up with idol and hip-hop music. The Hare Hare Yukai's dance was elevated as the template of producing dance moves in anime, a slight mix of rotoscoped 2D actions and CG. Animation quality had gotten so much better that dance sequences did not look too jarring to the eyes. People then can start mimicking the moves and up-load their works to newly established social networking sites. K-On, the first advertised "music" Slice of Life anime released in 2010, solidified the role of musical in the anime otaku community. From the other side, the debut of Hatsume Miku in 2009 quickly drew attention of idol fans to the "fake" idol characters.

Thus, the ground had been set for a popular idol anime to take over this new market, and Idolm@ster arrived in the right place at the right time in 2011. Born from an Arcade game years earlier, Idolm@ster should not have seen a light of day in the anime world if not for initial success of Haruhi. Quickly taking advantage of its established game & manga fan base, Idolm@ster moved into the already fertilized musical anime land with a bang. Encouraged by its huge success, Idolm@ster's producers took the first step at the new Idol 2.5D concept by releasing continuous albums, PVs, and singles as if all the characters are "alive," and keep on doing their things after the anime has ended.

Continuing with the trend, musical series such as Kids on the Slope, Tari Tari,...etc, keeps coming out every season. By then, people who held on the idea of Idol 2.5D came up with two approaches to it. Kawamori, a famous mecha director, came out with the RL --> anime approach, which drew attention from fans of idol group AKB. His anime AKB0048, a mix of Idol, Mecha, and Slice of Life were expected to be a huge hit. Unfortunately, AKB0048 received only relative success.

On the other hand, Lantis & Sunrise collaborated in a new Love Live project utilizing the anime --> RL approach. Lantis provided Sunrise with quality music and singers, some of them would later become very successful such as Yoshino Nanjo and Suzuko Mimori, while Sunrise took care of the writing and animation. From its debut in 2010, the project has been a fan-centric one. Love Live! developers used various forums and social networking sites to collect fan's feed-backs on the PV's settings. The most famous feed-back is the use of polling to determine central character in the up-coming PV. Each little self-contained story in the PV would then be centered around that chosen character. Thus, each character's appearance and personality would evolve over time in accordance with fan's tastes as evidenced here:

Of course, it's unclear how much fan influenced the writing of the Love Live! School Idol Project anime released in Winter 2013. Most of the anime's charm has to be credited to the newbie conceptor & director Takahiko Kyogoku. His fresh approach to Slice of Life/comedy situations as well as his balance handling of a large casts is the reason Love Live! feels so endearing to many people.

The anime has become a huge success with the first volume reaching 30K copies and a big fan base rivaling Idolm@ster. However, this phenomenon is not an evidence to say that anime --> RL approach is better than its alternative. The only conclusion here is that Love Live! has the "click" while AKB0048 does not, and that Idol 2.5D seems to be a way to go in the idol anime genre.

----------

I ended up writing an academic-style for my thoughts LOL. I just feel the need to put the history of idol 2.5D in chronological order. Any feed-back from Love Live's fans, who still come to this forum, is welcomed.

Btw, I have not stated my thoughts on the resilience of Love Live! sales yet.

Bonus:

More topics from this board

» What's the watch order?

Kayroad - Dec 10, 2023

10 by October_Animate »»
Mar 16, 5:39 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 3, 2013

120 by Needster »»
Feb 15, 6:53 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2013

141 by firstamizade »»
Feb 3, 2:00 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

bippo - Mar 17, 2013

128 by Foreall908 »»
Jan 7, 11:56 PM

Poll: » Love Live! School Idol Project Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2013

204 by Salty_Cookie »»
Dec 22, 2023 3:53 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.