Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Aug 1, 2013 12:45 AM

May 2013
I don't remember ever ordering gratuity.
Aug 1, 2013 12:59 AM

Jul 2013
I only tip when restaurants have no Service Charge on the receipt. Otherwise, I pick up the bills and leave the coins for the waiter.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 1, 2013 1:03 AM

Jul 2013
Tipping isn't a custom in Finland so no.
Aug 1, 2013 1:17 AM

Jul 2013
My tip is usually the same unless others chip in. For a $4 - $20 I'll leave $2 minimum, more if I feel they did well or if I can see they are extremely busy but still able to attend to me in fair time. If I only see them when I get my drink and food (no refill, no check up) then change it is.
Aug 1, 2013 2:12 AM

Mar 2011
spyrocoot said:
Chobatsu said:
Lol, why am I still surprised how many pricks would say they don't tip

Were you honestly that surprised? It's about what one would expect from MAL.

The industry has made a mockery of the populace by making it so people who don't tip are somehow shamed. As Scud said, they are doing their job, they get paid the minimum wage, why should I pay them because they are doing what they are supposed to do?
Aug 1, 2013 2:23 AM

Jul 2013
InfiniteRufus said:
spyrocoot said:
Chobatsu said:
Lol, why am I still surprised how many pricks would say they don't tip

Were you honestly that surprised? It's about what one would expect from MAL.

The industry has made a mockery of the populace by making it so people who don't tip are somehow shamed. As Scud said, they are doing their job, they get paid the minimum wage, why should I pay them because they are doing what they are supposed to do?

Something you may not know is most servers are making less than minimum wage. When I worked at Pizza Hut as an assistant manager they were only making about $2.75-3 an hour plus tips and claiming them. Which basically means the tips they get are factored into a minimum pay of around the 7-8 mark.
Aug 1, 2013 3:26 AM

Jan 2011
Nope I'm too poor.
Aug 1, 2013 3:31 AM

Dec 2012
no one tips in my country.
Aug 1, 2013 3:56 AM

Jun 2013
No.

Tipping is unorthodox here.
Aug 1, 2013 4:04 AM

Jun 2011
Yes It depends where you are from. In the US the waitresses hardly make a living wage so i suppose you are meant to tip them.

But where I am from, tipping is not something you do
Aug 1, 2013 5:28 AM

May 2010
Jak3 said:
no one tips in my country.

Aug 1, 2013 7:07 AM
May 2009
Nope. Also ask for service charge to be taken off my bill. I would be happy to collect it and bring it myself.
Aug 1, 2013 7:14 AM
Jun 2013
Generally around here, 15% tip is standard, but lately I've been told it's 20%.

I tip 15% usually... though the highest I've tipped was 60%.
Aug 1, 2013 7:16 AM

Feb 2011
yes. they are basically living off of their tips, i'd feel bad if i didn't tip.
Aug 1, 2013 7:33 AM

Jun 2011
in Kuwait, there was 10%.
but last year, a law was issued which prevent restaurants from tips. any restaurant that will obligate a customer or even ask for a tip will be closed.
unless the customer like to tip whatever he likes.. if he liked the service.
Aug 1, 2013 9:50 AM

Jan 2013
I don't usually. I can barely afford the price of the meal let alone a tip.
Aug 1, 2013 10:00 AM
Jul 2013
cathage said:
Come eat with me.
Aug 1, 2013 10:04 AM

Mar 2012
cathage said:
Then don't eat out?
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 1, 2013 10:04 AM

Oct 2010
Araby said:
cathage said:
Then don't eat out?

I'm inclined to agree with Arab here.

EDIT - I lol'd hard at the quote in your sig, haha.
spyrocootAug 1, 2013 10:07 AM
Aug 1, 2013 11:01 AM

Jul 2008
I used to work as a waitress. I made $5 an hour.

So, yeah, I usually tip really well when I eat out (which isn't often). Because I know how much it sucks to know you've only made like $30 for a day of work.
Aug 1, 2013 11:04 AM

Aug 2012
Nope. Tipping is nonexistent in Korea.
Aug 1, 2013 12:02 PM

Jan 2013
I tend to leave a 10% tip.
Aug 1, 2013 12:21 PM

Oct 2011
I agree with the OP in principle. Tip culture needs to go away. Restaurants need to pay their staff an adequate wage. Tipping is not done in other countries I have visited (I'm in the U.S.).

But with things as they are, I do tip. 20% (it's easiest to figure out). I visit many restaurants regularly and I want them to be happy to see me; I do not want to be "that guy."

I do not tip at places like coffee shops, ice cream shops, etc. That's ridiculous. You are getting something at the counter, not being "waited on."
Aug 1, 2013 12:22 PM

Mar 2012
Only when they've deserved it. Not if it's normal service, I mean, you don't tip anyone at the McDonalds do you? They've got harder working conditions than most waiters.
Aug 1, 2013 12:47 PM

Jul 2010
I normally always tip its common here
Aug 1, 2013 12:51 PM

Apr 2013
Tipping is a largely american thing and yes I do ttip because waiters get like 2 dollars an hour. I tip 15% or so and maybe round it up a couple dollars if they were really good.
I love naruto~kun he's my husbando~~~~
Aug 1, 2013 1:00 PM

Mar 2012
Feels said:
Tipping is a largely american thing and yes I do ttip because waiters get like 2 dollars an hour. I tip 15% or so and maybe round it up a couple dollars if they were really good.

2 dollars? A 20 year old here gets more than 3 times that as a waiter.
Aug 1, 2013 6:49 PM
Sykolicious

Jul 2013
Smoofie said:
Feels said:

I'm pretty sure he exaggerated a little bit. A waiter in my country would get around 18-25 dollar/hour depending on when, what and where. I know I live in a expensive country, but still. Nobody in the world would get only 2 dollars an hour for a waiter job.
Aug 1, 2013 6:50 PM

Aug 2012
I would tip at restaurants if I could afford to eat out.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 1, 2013 6:53 PM
Apr 2010
Hammerfest said:
Smoofie said:
Feels said:

I'm pretty sure he exaggerated a little bit. A waiter in my country would get around 18-25 dollar/hour depending on when, what and where. I know I live in a expensive country, but still. Nobody in the world would get only 2 dollars an hour for a waiter job.

He wasn't exaggerating.
Aug 1, 2013 6:54 PM

Jun 2013
After working as a waitress i'm always giving a tip

Aug 1, 2013 8:04 PM

May 2009
People says it has to do with them was waiters needing to make like minimum wage in tips. go figure. But you saying bringing a plate from point A to B shows how little you know. And if you do get looked down on it's probably because you're acting like a superior jackass.

If you don't want to tip then don't. But I don't see why you need to make a big fuss over his like you are being forced to tip.
Aug 1, 2013 8:09 PM

Jul 2011
Hammerfest said:
Smoofie said:
Feels said:

It's not really an exaggeration at all. Making $2.25 as a waiter isn't unheard of in the United States. There was a bill in 2011 to make a set standard minimum wage for 'tipped' employee's raising it from $2.13 to $5.25 but it never passed.. With that in mind I do tip. The exception is where the service is just terrible. Regardless of the wage, I'm not going to tip someone for providing inadequate service. But if you do your job well and go above and beyond, I make sure their attitude is well rewarded usually leaving around 50% of the bill.

If you are in the United States and do not tip, then yes....you are a dick.

Aug 1, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2012
News report!
Not everybody lives in America. Not everybody earns a misery by being a waiter.
And tips are optional in other coutries.

Shocking, isn't it?
Aug 1, 2013 10:01 PM
Jul 2013
I'm a server at Cracker Barrel and I make $2.23 an hour plus tips. So, it can be pretty frustrating when people like you don't tip. Servers do a solid amount of work. We deliver food, bus tables, sweep, clean tables, prepare food, stock, and have several tasks to complete as side work. I understand not giving a normal tip if you've been given bad service, but giving no tip for a a solid service is greedy and selfish on your part.

If you ever get a job as a server. You'll understand where I'm coming from.
Aug 1, 2013 10:09 PM

Sep 2012
Being an American, yes, I tip.
Aug 1, 2013 10:19 PM

Sep 2012
TheFallenGuard said:
I'm a server at Cracker Barrel and I make $2.23 an hour plus tips. So, it can be pretty frustrating when people like you don't tip. Servers do a solid amount of work. We deliver food, bus tables, sweep, clean tables, prepare food, stock, and have several tasks to complete as side work. I understand not giving a normal tip if you've been given bad service, but giving no tip for a a solid service is greedy and selfish on your part.
If you ever get a job as a server. You'll understand where I'm coming from.

The one being greedy and selfish is your boss.
Am I the only one that believe something is very wrong with a job that depends almost entirely on customers charity to survive?
Those work conditions should be illegal. And you can't expect the client to pay your salary AND thier overpriced food.
Is it unfair? It is. But the customer isn't the one to blame but the employers.
Aug 1, 2013 10:38 PM

Mar 2012
Eating at Cracker Barrel makes me feel American.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Aug 1, 2013 10:42 PM

Oct 2010
i only tip if they do a good service

i do not tip if they do a bad job

i do a 10% tip if i tip
unless they do a good job and actualy talk then i tip more

if ya a zombie waiter you get no tip

majority of the time i dont tip because the waiters n such are shit

if its a cute waitress ill tip if they are actually trying
i dont care if its a bad job or a good job if they are trying
dont ask questions, just do answers
Aug 1, 2013 10:48 PM

Nov 2009
I always tip 15% unless they do something truly terrible, and have given 20% to really insightful/friendly waiters/waitresses.
Aug 1, 2013 11:19 PM

Jul 2013
Aug 1, 2013 11:23 PM

Jul 2008
Well, the way I look at it...

I work a shitty minimum wage job. At the very least, if I have to deal with people acting like entitled pricks, I still get paid for all the headaches it causes me.

However, a poor waiter at a restaurant gets paid even less. And especially because of tipping, most waiters will bend over backwards to please you. Even if it isn't 100% sincere, genuine kindness, since it's motivated by money, there's been lots of times where good service made my evening so much better. And even if the restaurant has some other shortcoming (like, a long wait, or the food is not quite 100% awesome) then great service just makes up for it and saves the day.

All restaurants could just jack up their prices and then pay their employees regular minimum wage, and then everyone would bitch that eating out is too expensive. So yeah, if you don't tip, it makes you cheap. No matter what, the only person who loses out when you don't tip is the person who served you, getting paid a measly $4/hr or whatever. That's their livelyhood. I can't imagine making that little!

If you're too cheap to pay the tip, make your own damn food.

I usually tip 20%. I've never experienced bad service, so I never had to walk away without leaving a tip.

I am the senpai that notices you.

Aug 1, 2013 11:25 PM

Jul 2010
I usually tip-tip when I had been served well enough (usually 15-20% of the bill)
Most of the times, I just leave the change.

Aug 2, 2013 5:52 AM

Feb 2012
I don't tip that often, mostly because I simply forget about it. I try to keep it in my mind though and give at least a little tip, because I don't want to look stingy in front of whoever I'm dining with.
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Aug 2, 2013 6:45 AM

Jun 2009
No, and I'd like if the entire idea of tipping would fade out. It's not your job to pay someone's wages, and tipping isn't going to change the fact that their salaries in the are bullshit and should be raised to a more acceptable standard.

Hammerfest said:

The minimum in many states is a few cents more than $2, and tips are expected to cover the rest of the wages to meet the federal minimum wage. That said, if you do not tip, the employer is required to make up for the lack of tips, and pay them the federal minimum.
http://www.dol.gov/elaws/faq/esa/flsa/002.htm

So while their actual wage is initially very bad since tips are expected to make up for it, in the end they all earn at least minimum wage. Which I shouldn't need to add, countless jobs have, but seemingly no one cares about those workers.
TrapaliciousAug 2, 2013 7:39 AM
Aug 2, 2013 7:07 AM

Jun 2013
In Australia tipping isn't expected at all, it's usually only given for exceptional service. But it sucks how people pretty much have to tip in the US so the servers get a somewhat decent income.
Aug 22, 2013 3:14 PM

Aug 2008
No, not advice on eating or working at restaurants. Instead, it's all about the tip.

So, are you an asshole? Apparently, these people are:
http://www.buzzfeed.com/tabathaleggett/shocking-tips-waiters-have-received?bffb

Personally, my basic rule is roughly 15% to 20%.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 22, 2013 3:20 PM

May 2013
Never understood the point of tips.

I don't go into a restaurant to pay for the service, I go there to eat
Aug 22, 2013 3:22 PM

Sep 2011
Since I don't live in America with its retarded tipping system I usually tip the difference or round up to the count of 5.
E.g. if I have to pay 21 euros I'll give 25, if I have to pay 24 euros, I'll still give 25.
Aug 22, 2013 3:23 PM

Mar 2011
We've had this topic very recently.

I'll restate it, why should I pay people for doing their job? Also, what on earth have they got to do with how much I payed on my meal?
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Wrong to marry/have kids with second cousin?

ZakuF_ - Jun 25

37 by Zarutaku »»
5 minutes ago

» How did you invent your username? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Jun 18

53 by Princess_Lina »»
12 minutes ago

» Do mal users have bad reading comprehension?

WaffleMaster89 - Jun 25

14 by Serafos »»
23 minutes ago

» Career Advices?

EmiliaHoarfrost - 9 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
41 minutes ago

» How many pizza slices can you eat at a time?

tsukareru - Jun 22

42 by KingOfPneumos »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.