Forum Settings
Forums

Anime you thought you won't like all that much, but ended up being one of the best things you ever saw

New
Pages (55) « First ... « 32 33 [34] 35 36 » ... Last »
Jul 27, 2013 11:59 PM

Aug 2011
Clannad I guess. Thought it was gonna be one of those dreadful harems. Turned out to be pretty sweet.
Jul 28, 2013 2:09 AM

Feb 2013
I wouldn't say it's one of the best things I ever saw, but I rather enjoyed K-ON! despite all the negative criticism it gets.
Jul 28, 2013 2:22 AM

Jun 2012
I didn't think i would like one piece before i watched it, but i had a friend who insisted it was the best thing ever, and look at me now :D
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Jul 28, 2013 2:52 AM

Jul 2010
Well i would say Kuroshitsuji i first thought dafuq is this shonenai thing but then it got me and proved me wrong you can't rate a book by its cover.
Jul 28, 2013 2:53 AM

Dec 2012
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, I never really liked bloody anime but this was just funny

Jul 28, 2013 3:35 AM
Apr 2012
Honey and Clover for me. Never thought it would really struck me.
Hoshi no Koe, I never thought I would be hooked on this because the animation was not really good but it felt right. I was drawn to the emotion of this short movie and now I'm really storing it up in my drive.
Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki, at first I wasn't able to finish the movie and stopped around 5mins because I wasn't in the mood that time. Then I watched it again the next day and I never expected for me to be so struck about it. I kept re-watching it for the next 2 weeks.
Aug 1, 2013 9:41 PM

Aug 2009
Ikkitousen

Being new to the Evangelion bandwagon in 2009, I thought that ecchi was just... actually, didn't know what to think. I just knew that it wasn't hentai and in turn couldn't fap to it. So I got into Ikki later that year with extremely low standards expecting it to be complete mindless dribble. Well, as popular opinion would suggest, luckily I didn't know the correct season order (since I use torrents to watch anime and the particular site I used didn't have season one) and ended up watching the first episode of season three, and in my opinion as now a fan of the series, probably has my all time favorite moment in anime to date.

So um, yeah. I like being a part of the small cult following of Ikki fans. Doesn't go for "greatness" (whatever the fuck that means) but I like it nonetheless (though starting with season 2 and eventually going back to 1 probably helped). Shout out to Charlie's Angels, Sucker Punch and Bayonetta, because serialized female combat is my bread and butter.

Aug 2, 2013 8:14 AM

Jan 2013
NGE.
At first I thought another kid saving the world/mecha show but completely turned out to be very different and one of the best anime I have seen.
Aug 2, 2013 8:18 AM

Nov 2012
Chihayafuru, I never like sport-theme anime, and I must say Chihayafuru's story is quite generic. But when I start watching it, I instantly love it, finish the 1st season 1 one day, and re-watch it the day after
Aug 5, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2013
It has to be GTO aka Great Teacher Onizuka if u wanted to know and Baccano i never thought Baccano and GTO would be this damn good im glad i discovered them :D
Aug 5, 2013 2:30 PM

May 2013
PRINCESS TUTU.

Haven't finished it yet, though.
Aug 26, 2013 2:50 PM

Jul 2013
As the title of this topic says I was wondering which anime you judge wrong and you ended liking it?

-Inuyasha
-Ouran Highschool Host Club
-Fruit Basket

-.- Can't believe I thought they were awful before watching them and know they are some of my favorites!
Aug 26, 2013 2:51 PM

Jul 2011
-Gintama
-Madoka
Aug 26, 2013 2:53 PM

Sep 2012
Girls und Panzer

/thread
Aug 26, 2013 2:53 PM

Feb 2010
Sakurasou
Time of Eve
Clannad
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Mashiro-Iro Symphony
Ore no Imouto
Kyouko_AyaseAug 26, 2013 2:58 PM
Aug 26, 2013 2:54 PM
Sep 2011
Ore no imouto. I thought it was gonna be some creepy incest thing, but the most tasteless things the show did were the games the characters play (and Meruru)

Based on what everyone says about Tokyo Mew Mew, I didn't expect to like it as much as I did. Maybe cause I'm fond of the genre enough to know that "It's a Sailor Moon ripoff" is typically a load.
Aug 26, 2013 2:55 PM

Jan 2013
I think Naruto was my first one. I used to think Naruto was a cartoon for nerds and all that shit until I dared myself to watch it because I was bored. Then I suddenly became addicted, and looked for shows just like it. And that is when I started watching anime, and here I am continuing the journey :D
Aug 26, 2013 2:56 PM
*hug noises*

May 2013
B Gata H Kei
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai
Dog Days
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (think everyone could say this)
Mashiroiro Symphony: The Color of Lovers
Steins;Gate (I have no idea why but first impression didn't sit with me somehow)
Aug 26, 2013 2:58 PM

May 2012
Oreimo. Hated it because I thought it was stupid that an entire anime revolved around the MC's sister's hobby. Picked it up again and enjoyed it thoroughly...until the season 2 OVA's

Love Lab. I hated it before I even started it, but I watched an episode because it was getting a lot of good reviews. It's hilarious.

K Project. Thought it would end up being a yaoi-fest, but I actually enjoyed it a lot.

Madoka. Hated the art style and I just couldn't do the cutesy stuff. Eventually started it again and loved it.

Ouran. Looked too pink and flowery for me. Eventually saw it on TV, watched one episode and became hooked.
Aug 26, 2013 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
None.
Seeing a dude covered in shit before talking to them makes it hard to like him afterwards.
"But ur a retard."
~Akito_Kinomoto
Aug 26, 2013 3:02 PM

Jul 2013
Mirai Nikki
Clannad
Aug 26, 2013 3:09 PM

Oct 2009
Air - few of the first arc is too cliche to harem genre, expecting it to have harem ending, saw it to the ending and I cried a manly tears.
The most important things in life is the people that you care about
Aug 26, 2013 3:09 PM

Sep 2012
Higurashi.
I was avoiding it because I thought it was going to be just killer lolis and shit.
Oh boy I have never been so fucking wrong. Now is one of my all time favorites.
Aug 26, 2013 3:16 PM

Jul 2013
Probably Clannad, I didn't really read up on what the anime was about, so I had a bit of a bad idea of what it was. I liked it afterwards, but I still can't help but feel that the story progressed a bit slow in Clannad, made me lose my interest at moments.
Aug 26, 2013 3:19 PM

Jul 2013
Soul Eater
Ergo Proxy
Ouran High School Host Club

I always saw them and tended to overlook them,but when I decided to watch them,it wasn't disappointing at all.
Aug 26, 2013 3:31 PM

Jul 2012
Hmm...

- Psycho Pass I thought it looked stupid at first but I ended up getting hooked on it.
- Shinsekai Yori I thought it was going to be a stupid horror pretentious show, but I ended up loving it.
- Railgun I thought it was going to be yuri moe shit but it turned out to be pretty awesome. (at least the action parts)
- Code Geass I thought was going to be mindless action and shounen plot devices but it had lots of strategy and stuff I'd never imagine it would include.
- Kuroko no Basuke I thought it was going to be yaoi fanservice crap but it turned out it was super enjoyable and fun (I even enjoyed the bishies)
Aug 26, 2013 3:52 PM

Aug 2013
Minami-Ke
Yuru Yuri
Toaru Kagaku no Railgun
Mondaiji-tachi ga Isekai kara Kuru Sou Desu yo?

They are now my favorites.
"One does not simply say no to a loli with animal ears and tail."

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/iAmEcchi
Aug 26, 2013 4:00 PM

Jul 2012
Berserk. I saw Guts hair and rolled my eyes. What's THIS beefcake got to do with me?

well now its tied for first as my fave show
Aug 27, 2013 2:11 PM

Dec 2012
Code Geass
Shinsekai Yori
Aug 27, 2013 2:14 PM

Jun 2013
Anime:
Madoka Magica - Came across like a dull/SoL show when I saw it at first. Man was I surprised.
Code Geass - Never really liked mecha. However, when I started this I was just in awe.
Psycho Pass - Took me forever to get past episode 1. Man should I have watched it sooner.
Sakamichi no Apollon - I'm a latent Josei fan.. What Can I say?

Manga:
Chikan Otoko - I used to hate romance, so what can I say?
Eden no Ori - Long manga scare me. Man was it worth it.
Spiral - Seemed like Detective Conan. Man was it so much more than I thought it would be.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 27, 2013 2:16 PM

Apr 2013
Higurashi. I thought it was just mindless killing and torture before I watched it, oh how wrong I was.
an egomaniac and a fool

Aug 27, 2013 2:19 PM

Aug 2013
For me Naruto and Shippuden. I didn't think I'd like it at all. Now I've finished Naruto and am half way done catching up on shippuden in a couple weeks.

Also Sword Art Online. I've seen the whole video game being reality and if you die you die for real a TON growing up in various things. So it didn't appeal to me at all in fact I figured I'd hate it. But gave it a chance and it was COMPLETELY different than I expected. It was pretty great.
Aug 27, 2013 2:30 PM

Aug 2012
azzuRe said:
Air - few of the first arc is too cliche to harem genre, expecting it to have harem ending, saw it to the ending and I cried a manly tears.

Tears. That's right, i did cry alot too ._.

Incr3dibl3 said:
Soul Eater
Ergo Proxy
Ouran High School Host Club

I always saw them and tended to overlook them,but when I decided to watch them,it wasn't disappointing at all.

Yeah, OuranHSHC i wasn't too much into it till ep 6 or so, but slowly and gradually i started enjoying it. From ep 12 onwards i started agreeing about how good it was.
Aug 27, 2013 2:34 PM

Apr 2012
Love Live!

Granted, I didn't go into it thinking that I wouldn't like it all that much (I thought it'd just be another average show to entertain me for a few days), but the presentation of it just blew me away and it ended up in my top ten favorite anime.

And I just started watching Arakawa Under the Bridge out of pure curiosity (since the description sounded so...fucking...weird) and it's actually respectably entertaining.

Aug 27, 2013 2:40 PM

May 2013
Hunter x Hunter 2011. I made the same mistake of many people: judging by the art. In fact I thought it was a childish series, instead it turned out to be the more mature shonen I've ever seen, even more than FMA.
Aug 27, 2013 2:46 PM

Aug 2012
Shinsekai yori.

I put it off because people said Yaoi was in it, but the yaoi wasn't realy that bad.

Story was amazing.
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 27, 2013 2:54 PM

May 2013
Psycho Pass

I usually end up hating shows that are hyped up far too much, as they almost never live up to the hype and I get disappointed (my reason for not giving Attack On Titan a chance yet, but I'll get round to it....eventually....maybe). At the time, everyone was talking about Psycho Pass and how amazing it was, and I was doubtful not only because of the hype, but also because dark mystery shows aren't usually my cup of tea, but it was truly amazing. No matter how much I wanted to hate it, no matter how much I wanted to deny it, I couldn't. It really did live up to it's hype, and I don't often see that. Now if only the ending was satisfactory, but hey, I'm used to it.
Aug 27, 2013 3:18 PM

Aug 2012
Dark_Chaos said:
Psycho Pass

I usually end up hating shows that are hyped up far too much, as they almost never live up to the hype and I get disappointed (my reason for not giving Attack On Titan a chance yet, but I'll get round to it....eventually....maybe). At the time, everyone was talking about Psycho Pass and how amazing it was, and I was doubtful not only because of the hype, but also because dark mystery shows aren't usually my cup of tea, but it was truly amazing. No matter how much I wanted to hate it, no matter how much I wanted to deny it, I couldn't. It really did live up to it's hype, and I don't often see that. Now if only the ending was satisfactory, but hey, I'm used to it.

Maybe it gets better next season, but i'm not sure about that.

I also found Psycho pass awesome, I didn't enjoy it as much as i would like, but objectively it is really good.
Aug 27, 2013 3:23 PM

Jul 2013
Steins;Gate for sure! In the beginning, it's boring I admit it! But then it's so FTW
Aug 27, 2013 3:25 PM

Dec 2012
Neon Genesis Evangelion, because I watched Gurren Lagann and G Gundam first.
Aug 27, 2013 4:13 PM

Jun 2013
"Shingeki no Kyojin"-I thought the concept sounded ridiculous. God was I wrong.
"Kaichou wa Maid Sama!"-I don't like many of the girly romance animes but this one is rather well done.
Code Geass- Wow, I was so completely wrong. Mind blown.
Aug 27, 2013 5:52 PM

Jul 2008
Nichijou. I thought it looked like the worst slice of life, moeblob comedy ever...oh how wrong I was.
Aug 27, 2013 6:30 PM

Jul 2013
Kaichou wa Maid-sama! I thought this would be terrible because I had previous experiences with Shoujo that i hated. (kimi ni todoke). It turned out really funny and well done.

Zetsuen no Tempest. This one completely blew me away, I started watching it on a whim from a friend and ended up finishing the whole series that day.

Chuunibyou. Thought this one would be an average school romance comedy, that tries to be quirky. Turns out it gets pretty down to earth when it counts.
"There stood a high school boy, who for selfish reasons had twice beaten an elementary school girl unconscious, and had gotten all nihilistically worked up about it. Actually that's still me."
Aug 27, 2013 8:11 PM

Nov 2012
Kimi bi Todoke

I really didn't think I would enjoy this Anime, and as I watch the two main characters relationship slowly, and slowly build up I thought I really wasn't going to give it a good rating, but after finishing the whole thing. I found that it was a great Anime.

"Climb the mountain not so the world can see you, but so that you can see the world."
Aug 27, 2013 8:33 PM

Jan 2011
Now an Then, Here an There (Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku), it just became my 5th fav anime
Aug 27, 2013 8:35 PM

Aug 2013
Gurren Lagann. I usually hate simplistic shonen series, and now it's on my favourites list. I love that show to death.
Fight Club > Anime
Scott Pilgrim > Manga
Death Cab for Cutie > Yuki Kajura

"Who'd you rather be? The Beatles or The Rolling Stones?"

MY REVIEWS! READ THEM. http://myanimelist.net/profile/StillSwingin007/reviews
Aug 27, 2013 8:38 PM

May 2011
One Piece, I hated the art and it took me a long time to get into it, I also thought the concept was retarded. Now I can't stop fucking watching it.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Aug 27, 2013 9:51 PM

Jan 2013
Vaguelybritish said:
"Shingeki no Kyojin"-I thought the concept sounded ridiculous. God was I wrong.

I think the premise is frikken cool, however the adaptation leaves a lot of room for improvement.
Aug 27, 2013 9:58 PM

Aug 2012
Teppen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Went into it with a weird idea that i would hate it, due to the mecha. I was very mistaken. One of the best, if not the best Anime series i have ever watched.
Pages (55) « First ... « 32 33 [34] 35 36 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1020 by BlueBerryMuffin7 »»
6 minutes ago

» Need an anime expert to help answer my questions

CovertSphinx - 4 hours ago

7 by ShatteredSans »»
7 minutes ago

» Is your waifu self-aware of her beauty?

KryzakamiHrybami - 8 hours ago

6 by Serafos »»
21 minutes ago

» Are there any characters which you wanted to see more but were killed early, forgotten or the anime itself was too short?

Shizuna - 10 hours ago

20 by cyandaqil »»
25 minutes ago

Poll: » A question, what is worse when it comes to a bad anime

Dillq24 - Yesterday

24 by Kwanthemaster »»
48 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.