New
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (19) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jul 24, 2013 6:11 PM

Dec 2009
SaberRitsu said:
Moving right along, I'll just leave this here

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com.au/review/flowers-of-evil/episodes-1

I bet he only likes it because it's "different and unique".
Jul 24, 2013 6:25 PM

Jun 2011
Aku no Hana is legitimately good.
Jul 24, 2013 6:26 PM

Jun 2012
I still feel people give way too much credit to Aku no Hana but it does have some artistical merit
Jul 24, 2013 6:32 PM

Aug 2009
I don't have high opinion of ANN reviews myself and I usually don't find them particularly reliable, but then again, I don't rely on them when deciding what to watch anyway.

KamiKazen said:
SaberRitsu said:

I bet you only dislike it because it's not moe and because they didn't use the manga character designs...

...is what I could say. Naturally, that would be a bullshit assumption just like that comment of yours. Unless it was sarcastic
metamorphiusJul 24, 2013 6:44 PM
Jul 24, 2013 6:33 PM

Sep 2012
I thought it was good. I didn't love it on the level that reviewer did, but I thought it was good and I'm glad I watched it.

http://thecartdriver.com/while-i-appreciate-the-effort-flowers-of-evil-is-crap/

This guy has a different view of the show, if you're interested.
Jul 24, 2013 7:31 PM

Jun 2011
AngelsArcanum said:
-1 to Aku no Hana

Haha, what are you voting on there Angels?
Jul 24, 2013 7:34 PM
Jul 2012
Will agree with Angels, but I haven't saw the show and look at the art at the first episode. I glad I didn't watch more I will been got ripoff of keep watching it.
Jul 24, 2013 7:35 PM

Jan 2013
My mistake guys, been thread hopping and mistook this for the Enlightenment thread for a sec XD. I'll remove the post.
Jul 24, 2013 7:37 PM

Dec 2012
GoldenBRS said:
Will agree with Angels, but I haven't saw the show and look at the art at the first episode. I glad I didn't watch more I will been got ripoff of keep watching it.
Dude. You tired or something? I have no clue what you're trying to say here.
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
Jul 24, 2013 7:38 PM

Apr 2012
Yakub's right Golden. Get some sleep.
Jul 24, 2013 7:47 PM
Jul 2012
Yakub said:
GoldenBRS said:
Dude. You tired or something? I have no clue what you're trying to say here.

Ain't tired but I said, I haven't saw the show before but except first saw the animation when I seen the first episode of Aku no hana's discussion. I was glad I didn't watched the rest of the episodes because the episodes seems to be crazy and ugly so I don't feel ripoff every time I watched a single episode. Hope you understand what am I saying now, and never mind on saying 1 point on the show.
Jul 24, 2013 7:58 PM

Dec 2012
GoldenBRS said:
Ain't tired but I said, I haven't saw the show before but except first saw the animation when I seen the first episode of Aku no hana's discussion. I was glad I didn't watched the rest of the episodes because the episodes seems to be crazy and ugly so I don't feel ripoff every time I watched a single episode. Hope you understand what am I saying now, and never mind on saying 1 point on the show.
Ah. Gotcha. You should probably watch the rest imo. I was a bit unsure about the animation at first too. They ended up doing some pretty cool things with it.
Jul 24, 2013 8:07 PM
Jul 2012
Yakub said:
GoldenBRS said:
Ah. Gotcha. You should probably watch the rest imo. I was a bit unsure about the animation at first too. They ended up doing some pretty cool things with it.

Well, I decide that I will read the manga version instead of the anime version. Is it good to do that or I have to deal with it and suspect out of it? Really want to read the manga the most.
Jul 24, 2013 8:10 PM

Jun 2011
Personally, I wouldn't recommend that you watch Aku no Hana. If the art is going to bother you that much, don't struggle through it just to wind up hating it.
Jul 25, 2013 1:05 AM

Mar 2012
The manga is mediocre and angsty but I guess it's worth a shot. It's the godawful adaptation that ruins the show's credibility. The soundtrack and the slow pacing only up the angst in while the rotoscoping almost never fails to destroy the tension in just about every scene. As much as I like variety in my anime, the show was a god damn train wreck.

It's not like me to wish failure on something as harmless as a cartoon, but I am so glad that this colossal failure of an experiment flopped. Instead of wasting their money on silly animation gimmicks that add nothing to the show, they could just turn it into a drama. Sure it won't fix up the major problems that the manga had, but without the wobbly potato people I'd at least be able to take the show a little more seriously.

And to BRS I say why waste your time with such pretentious tripe when you could be watching something genuinely well made and thought provoking like Kino's Journey or Cipher?
Jul 25, 2013 1:20 AM
Jul 2012
ForgoneReality said:
Personally, I wouldn't recommend that you watch Aku no Hana. If the art is going to bother you that much, don't struggle through it just to wind up hating it.

Yeah, I knew that this will suspect out of me. Will keep preventing to watch the anime version.
SaberRitsu said:
The manga is mediocre and angsty but I guess it's worth a shot. It's the godawful adaptation that ruins the show's credibility. The soundtrack and the slow pacing only up the angst in while the rotoscoping almost never fails to destroy the tension in just about every scene. As much as I like variety in my anime, the show was a god damn train wreck.

It's not like me to wish failure on something as harmless as a cartoon, but I am so glad that this colossal failure of an experiment flopped. Instead of wasting their money on silly animation gimmicks that add nothing to the show, they could just turn it into a drama. Sure it won't fix up the major problems that the manga had, but without the wobbly potato people I'd at least be able to take the show a little more seriously.

And to BRS I say why waste your time with such pretentious tripe when you could be watching something genuinely well made and thought provoking like Kino's Journey or Cipher?

I already saw Cipher(which is bad very good that I want to rewatch it just for Phil Connis.) while I haven`t watch Kino before in my ptw list.Okay then, I will try reading it to see if it is better.
Jul 25, 2013 1:47 AM

Jun 2011
SaberRitsu said:

AnH was clearly just 2Deep4You.
Jul 25, 2013 1:55 AM

Jul 2013
I could so pull the "moeshit" card on Saber right now.
I'm cooler than a cooler
Big shouts out to my jeweler
Bitch Chief Sosa stack dat mula
JezusBull said:
Ohh the ignorant masses, poor, ignorant people.
Kimi no Iru Machi said:
Whether it's in Tokyo or the countryside, panties will always remain the same. And the heart of the man who tries his best is also the same.

Jul 25, 2013 5:12 AM

Mar 2012
LuvSosa69 said:
I could so pull the "moeshit" card on Saber right now.
That would not work against me as I do not consider myself a moe fan. However, what it would do is paint you in a very ignorant light. There is nothing inherently wrong with moe, so I don't see any reason why I should hate it. It's been around for years and isn't leaving any time soon.

I watched a bunch of KyoAni stuff when I first started watching anime so I learned pretty quickly just to grow up and accept these sort of things rather than crying on the Internet about how 'pedoshit is destroying the industry' as if the Japanese actually care about some ignorant gaijin's anime blog
SeibaaHomuJul 25, 2013 5:52 AM
Jul 25, 2013 5:22 AM

Apr 2009
The whole moe debate is kinda dumb. It was called kawaii back then and in the 90s the hardcore fans complained that naime will never be as good as in the 80s...

In 2025 people will praise Naruto as a classic and say anime will never be as good as in the 2000s.

It's kind of pointless to argue about it.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jul 25, 2013 5:31 AM

Dec 2012
SaberRitsu said:
The manga is mediocre and angsty

Mind explaining how? unless you confused it with NGE..
Jul 25, 2013 5:34 AM

Apr 2009
Despite our differences in opinion, I think we all can agree that NGE is anything but mediocre.
Jul 25, 2013 5:36 AM

Nov 2012
Hey Nid. You were talking about Lupin in another thread a few moments ago.
I wanted to get into Lupin but I wasn't sure how I'm supposed to watch it since there is a large amount of movies and series about Lupin.
Is Cagliostro a good starting point?
Jul 25, 2013 5:39 AM

Dec 2012
Saberitsu thinks NGE is mediocre and angsty and I don't care enough for NGE to share my opinion about it.
Jul 25, 2013 5:39 AM

Apr 2009
Lupin is episodic, so you can start with everything that interests you.
Cagliostro is Ghilbi Lupin, so it is always worth a shot. A Woman Named Fujiko is the enw reboot that is quite different from the rest of the franchise and imho a mixed back, but people who hate older anime might get a kick out of it.
Then there are of course the three mains eries, but I recommend the first and the second ones.

Or just start with any OVA/mmovie you can think of and that sounds appealing to you. You get the characters rather quick and after that it is mostly about the fun adventures, the comedy and some fanservice.

Btw, I liked the Lupin vs Conan crossover. If you like Conan be sure to check it out.
Jul 25, 2013 5:49 AM

Nov 2012
Alright, thanks. Glad to hear that it's episodic.
I'll start with Cagliostro since Ghiblis are must-watches anyways.
Jul 25, 2013 5:49 AM

Apr 2012
Nidhoeggr said:
Lupin is episodic, so you can start with everything that interests you.
Cagliostro is Ghilbi Lupin, so it is always worth a shot. A Woman Named Fujiko is the enw reboot that is quite different from the rest of the franchise and imho a mixed back, but people who hate older anime might get a kick out of it.
Then there are of course the three mains eries, but I recommend the first and the second ones.

Or just start with any OVA/mmovie you can think of and that sounds appealing to you. You get the characters rather quick and after that it is mostly about the fun adventures, the comedy and some fanservice.

Btw, I liked the Lupin vs Conan crossover. If you like Conan be sure to check it out.

I absolutely love DC, one of the first series that got me into anime back when I was watching Arabic dubbed.

...Wait a sec, DC is both revolutionary and pretty damn good(if you pay attention to Volume 2, it influenced Death Note for example), how come it's not on the list?
Did you guys bring DC up while I wasn't here or something, because if you didn't, I think we can give polling DC a shot. Definitely fits all the criteria for the list.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 25, 2013 5:56 AM

Apr 2009
Conan is a great series and one of the series I loved on TV as well, but is it really good when we recommend an anime that is 95% filler even with canon episodes? I am torn about it.

It is true though that GTO and Conan gave Kenshin and WSJ a hard time in the 90s.
NidhoeggrJul 25, 2013 6:00 AM
Jul 25, 2013 8:28 AM

Aug 2009
Zerkalo said:
Hey Nid. You were talking about Lupin in another thread a few moments ago.
I wanted to get into Lupin but I wasn't sure how I'm supposed to watch it since there is a large amount of movies and series about Lupin.
Is Cagliostro a good starting point?

I know Nid already beat me to the punch, but yeah, it's episodic and doesn't have any sort of chronology or continuity, so everything's fair game. But Cagliostro is a very good starting point if you want a very good first impression of the franchise as a whole. It's my favorite Lupin movie ever, so there's that.

The Woman Called Fujiko Mine is a decent starting point for those who are both ignorant about Lupin and those who don't like anime that came out in 2008 or older. But those who do are truly missing out in everything else the franchise has to offer.
Jul 25, 2013 11:19 AM
Jul 2012
Last night, Just saw this Needless preview trailer by watching Macross Scramble dvd and it looked quite decent. May try to watch it with reading some reviews of the show. Does anyone liked the show?
LegendGoldDarkJul 25, 2013 11:25 AM
Jul 25, 2013 11:51 AM

Apr 2009
Powerlevels, over the top fights and some subtle fanservice - nothing outstanding but fun if nothing else is on your backlog.
Jul 25, 2013 11:54 AM

Nov 2011
I liked the show a lot because it's totally ridiculous, but didn't you not like TTGL?
Jul 25, 2013 12:00 PM

Dec 2012
He has Kamina in his favorites. I'm guessing he doesn't like Simon so he didn't want to continue with the anime after
Jul 25, 2013 12:21 PM
Jul 2012
I will watch it again soon, but that's not true that I not like Simion. He is okay. Hope the new will be decent when I watched it in my second viewing.

@Nid I can't see the video because my country block the copyright.
Jul 25, 2013 12:55 PM

Dec 2009
metamorphius said:
I don't have high opinion of ANN reviews myself and I usually don't find them particularly reliable, but then again, I don't rely on them when deciding what to watch anyway.

KamiKazen said:
SaberRitsu said:

I bet you only dislike it because it's not moe and because they didn't use the manga character designs...

...is what I could say. Naturally, that would be a bullshit assumption just like that comment of yours. Unless it was sarcastic
metamorphius said:

KamiKazen said:
SaberRitsu said:

Nah, I enjoyed the show, despite the rotoscope, but it isn't nowhere near an A+.
Jul 25, 2013 1:04 PM

Aug 2009
KamiKazen said:

Nah, I enjoyed the show, despite the rotoscope, but it isn't nowhere near an A+.

That's true, but ANN tend to overrate (God, I hate using this word) almost everything in their reviews. Rarely will they give score below B-. I mean, this got a B.
Jul 25, 2013 1:11 PM

Nov 2011
They gave Fairy Tail like straight C's and I think a D somewhere, which is fine and all if not for the fact that they give utter crap really high scores, and then said that FAIRY TAIL HAS BAD MUSIC. Even people who dislike Fairy Tail agree that it has good music. =/
Jul 25, 2013 1:14 PM

Aug 2009
I think you'd love their Elfen Lied review, Amber.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/elfen-lied/dvd-1
Jul 25, 2013 1:33 PM

Apr 2012
Amberleh said:
They gave Fairy Tail like straight C's and I think a D somewhere, which is fine and all if not for the fact that they give utter crap really high scores, and then said that FAIRY TAIL HAS BAD MUSIC. Even people who dislike Fairy Tail agree that it has good music. =/

When your average score is a bloody B+ and you say say Fairy Tail is below par, you know there is something wrong.
My top shonen soundtrack is tied between Naruto and Hunter X Hunter (99), but I have to give you that Fairy Tail has an amazing soundtrack (I'm listening to some tracks right now lol).

metamorphius said:

Straight As? WHAT. IN. THE. ACTUAL. F***!!!!
- Oreki, Hyouka
Jul 25, 2013 1:53 PM
Nov 2011
Especially since the music was Lillium remixed ad nauseum =_=

I just finished planetes and holy crap is that show overlooked. Realist portrayal of just about everything and able to explore so much with its universe.... Smartest show I've seen in forever.
Jul 25, 2013 2:16 PM

Dec 2012
metamorphius said:

>By the time the title screen comes up you'll either be utterly repulsed or thoroughly entranced (and quite possibly both).

I was bored......

First time I tried to watch Elfen Lied I watched with my little sister and we didn't even make it through the first episode because it was just dull. She was like 12 at the time too.
Jul 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Mar 2012
Yakub said:
metamorphius said:

>By the time the title screen comes up you'll either be utterly repulsed or thoroughly entranced (and quite possibly both).

I was bored......

First time I tried to watch Elfen Lied I watched with my little sister and we didn't even make it through the first episode because it was just dull. She was like 12 at the time too.
I agree. I have no clue why people are so horrified by that first scene. I can't believe that people used to like that tripe. It's like, worse than Mirai Nikki
Jul 25, 2013 2:41 PM

Oct 2010
I kind of want to finish Aku no hana. But this review, and specially, the rating for art and animation... I mean, if the overall level of the series in this sense is any close to the 3 episodes I've watched, it doesn't qualify for an A+ in any way. It is cheap, flawed and really doesn't make the most of its rather original -in anime- artstyle. What will this guy think of when he watches something like Waking life, which actually refines rotoscoping and expands its expressive possibilities?

Also, I'm still very fond of Elfen Lied, but giving it so much credit for repeating the same song again and again...
Jul 25, 2013 3:05 PM

Mar 2012
I seriously can not fathom why you would give animation and art for Aku no Hana an A+.

A+

Flawless

Masterful
ForgoneRealityJul 25, 2013 3:27 PM
Jul 25, 2013 3:28 PM

Jun 2011
We get it Saber, you don't like Aku no Hana. But next time remember to put multiple large images in spoiler tags.

--------------
And in response, why would you choose those images out of all the shots available in the show? Just because the characters aren't attractive doesn't mean anything. The first and third images actually look quite good.
Jul 25, 2013 3:35 PM

Jan 2013
metamorphius said:

Note to self blacklist ANN forever
Jul 25, 2013 3:47 PM

Oct 2010
ForgoneReality said:
And in response, why would you choose those images out of all the shots available in the show? Just because the characters aren't attractive doesn't mean anything. The first and third images actually look quite good.

Really? I would rather pick the second, which looks pretty good and natural. I guess the movement lines affect the quality of the image but the characters are quite well-drawn in there and the picture actually looks dynamic. The first and third look very inconsistant to me, there's a lot of detail in some face traits and some others are ridiculously blurred and sketchy.
Jul 25, 2013 3:51 PM

Jun 2011
@jal - The second image is absolutely fine as well, and like you said implements a good sense of motion. I just mentioned the first and third since he seemed to put an emphasis on those.
Jul 25, 2013 4:02 PM

Dec 2012
ForgoneReality said:

Because those are the screenshots that started the hate bandwagon. I'm surprised he didn't include this.

Better shots:

In that scene specifically I could see why they choose to rotoscope it. It look rather beautiful to be honest.

the img code didn't work on this.
tsudecimoJul 25, 2013 4:06 PM
Jul 25, 2013 4:06 PM

Apr 2012
I'm dying here guys. LOL. Just. LOL.
- Oreki, Hyouka
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Pages (19) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.