Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Apr 11, 2013 10:41 PM

Mar 2010
Vampire Mecha! Lmao. So.. interestingly weird but not completely terrible. But I am disappointing about ....another school'ish anime.
Apr 11, 2013 10:42 PM

Aug 2012
This was a good first episode, and also am i the only one that thinks the MC looks like Yuki from Mirai Nikki?

Apr 11, 2013 10:45 PM

Mar 2011
Nyron said:
This show was such shit. I can't name any really good or stand out things about it, and it'll probably be standard sunrise garbage

everybody leave and watch Majestic Prince and/or Gargantia instead

You just want to trash sunrise....
You haven't watched Majestic Prince and Gargantia yet based on your anime list. Sigh
Apr 11, 2013 10:46 PM

Feb 2013
Pknoctis said:
Eh. So far, premise has been an exact mix of Gundam Seed and Gundam Seed Destiny.

Gundam Seed:
-Outsiders invade neutral colony, lots of innocents die
-Kid gets in a mech and does a lot of damage
-Tension between MC and another kid from opposing faction

Gundam Seed Destiny:
-Beloved dies (or did she? they didn't show her body)
-In response, MC screams into the air
-MC decides to pilot a mecha because of their beloved

This show is what you could call a Gundam clone, and believe me, not just Gundam Seed/Destiny and Gundam 00 have done this. All Gundams all the way back to Gundam 0079 have these elements in one way or another. After a while, you can probably just plot out the first episode of any given Gundam series in your sleep. they literally have a formula.
Apr 11, 2013 10:49 PM

Apr 2012
Stitches327 said:
This was a good first episode, and also am i the only one that thinks the MC looks like Yuki from Mirai Nikki?

More like Shoe from Guilty Crown in my opinion, except much better.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Apr 11, 2013 10:50 PM

Jan 2009
damn a vampire that pilots a super robot

Apr 2012
Nyron said:
This show was such shit. I can't name any really good or stand out things about it, and it'll probably be standard sunrise garbage

You just called Majestic Prince good.
*facepalm*
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka

Feb 2013
zmx2513 said:
Somehow the two heroines are like the reverse of Flay and Lacus from SEED. Not surprised at the "vampire" thingy. Now I see what they mean by "forbidden power". imo This is what differentiates Valvrave from Gundam and Code Geass: a bit of supernatural mixed with sci-fi
I don't know about supernatual, I think it is probably more sci-fi. That mech was entirely man made, and it injected him with something when he hit the yes button that caused him to be unable to die. My money is on nanites or something similar. Sort of like the nanomachines in Trinity Blood.
Apr 11, 2013 10:52 PM

Dec 2009
Wow this opening was fantastic. T.M. Revolution + Mizuki Nana had to be double awesome, no doubt. But ofc I also liked the episode. I guess if the girl you love dies, you couldn't care less about resigning as human being lol But dat end! Hadn't a WTF?!-moment like this in ages. He turned into a friggin' vampire (without fangs)?!
So far I like none of the characters..................... but I guess that is too soon to say anyways.

However.. I want THIS OPENING! In full! (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Apr 11, 2013 10:52 PM

Feb 2013
amginex said:
I guess sooner or later vampire and mechs are going to be crossed together.

shoko better stay dead, seriously
This is Sunrise. Since when have they ever let anyone stay dead?

Remember Mu La Flaga?
Apr 11, 2013 10:53 PM

Jan 2011
Dude that was pretty good. They should of just done a new Gundam (Origin doesn't count) though to redeem that AGE bullshit.
Apr 11, 2013 10:57 PM
Aug 2011
sushi55 said:
You just called Majestic Prince good.
*facepalm*
Apr 11, 2013 11:04 PM

Aug 2012
Nyron said:

MP was a hot mess. what are you even talking about.

Gargantia is good so far tho. I'll give you that.
Apr 11, 2013 11:05 PM
Sep 2012
So Kira is a vampire now huh. Fucking Sunrise. I'm in.
Apr 11, 2013 11:12 PM
Jul 2008
On my not watch list. I love mecha shows but I disliked this and im nit some elitist. I see some some Geass influence considering who wrote it but wow thisx was bad compared to it. Why couldnt they just make another proper Gundam show iinstead. another annoying MC becomes ace pilot after ep. 1. Yeah ok.

Script feels half assed. Just throwing random tropes and calling it a show and using inshow social hype.

or maybe im too desensitized and old to enjoy it.
Apr 11, 2013 11:13 PM

Jan 2011
I was looking at the time and thought we might get a little bit more than a preview after the ED, but wtf that was a lot more than I expected. Will definitely watch this for a few more episodes.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 11, 2013 11:13 PM

Jul 2012
Elite60 said:
These reminded me of the TIE Fighter in Star Wars. The basic structure looks similar but these are thicker.

lol that's what I thought too. my reaction: "wait, we've got space nazis piloting tie fighters?"
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Apr 11, 2013 11:21 PM

Feb 2012
First of all, imo the episode was pretty predictable. very influential from other sunrise mechas... some code geass and gundam seed. Not bad but not great either, however that ending just went a 180 on me, Totally didn't see it coming. That last 3 minutes was enough to get me really excited for the next episode lol
Apr 11, 2013 11:23 PM

Feb 2013
Agarest said:
On my not watch list. I love mecha shows but I disliked this and im nit some elitist. I see some some Geass influence considering who wrote it but wow thisx was bad compared to it. Why couldnt they just make another proper Gundam show iinstead. another annoying MC becomes ace pilot after ep. 1. Yeah ok.

Script feels half assed. Just throwing random tropes and calling it a show and using inshow social hype.

or maybe im too desensitized and old to enjoy it.

Umm, ending notwithstanding, this WAS Gundam in everything but name. Do you know how many "annoying MCs that become ace pilots" Gundam has in its vast library? Quite a few, I promise you.
Apr 11, 2013 11:24 PM
Jan 2009
Majestic Prince is the exact same show, but with decent direction and characters that aren't awful. It's playing its tropes well, has better presentation and seems to know what it wants to be.

this show is basically guilty crown, which did a really good job of appealing to morons. so I guess there's that
Apr 11, 2013 11:33 PM

Mar 2012
The fighting, OP, and end of the episode was great. Love this anime so far :)
Apr 11, 2013 11:33 PM

Feb 2013
There one interesting thing though, all of our enemy spy kids are also going to get their own Valvrave mechs. Are they ALL going to turn into undead immortal vampires?

Because if so, that's going to make it mighty hard to kill them in battle. We'll be having a stalemate for ages!
Apr 11, 2013 11:35 PM
Jan 2013
adding to my watch list.
Apr 11, 2013 11:37 PM

Aug 2011
This gotta be fucking awesome.
Apr 11, 2013 11:37 PM

Jul 2012
Irenesharda said:
There one interesting thing though, all of our enemy spy kids are also going to get their own Valvrave mechs. Are they ALL going to turn into undead immortal vampires?

Because if so, that's going to make it mighty hard to kill them in battle. We'll be having a stalemate for ages!

I kinda thought they are just alternative forms of Valvrave, you know like the Strike or Impulse gundam.
[url=http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Num1dad_Asura]
[/url]
Click Here for Sig source
Apr 11, 2013 11:38 PM
Jan 2009
also I wrote a review, but IDK if it'll be posted thanks to MAL's dumb new requirements

"Alright people, I've completed my viewing of the Spring '13 Mecha Trifecta. This trifecta is made up of Valvrave the Liberator, Majestic Prince and Gargantia. It's been over a year since I've found anything watchable, so I have high hopes.

The other two are great. Will they remain great? Who knows, but I can assure you that this show is awful and only makes the other two look much better by comparison, and it will stay that way.

Valvrave is a mecha anime that follows the formula in all the laziest ways possible, and is bogged down with Sunrise's astounding incompetence. You can pretty much use shows like this and Sacred Seven next to things like 08th MS Team and Scryed and say with a definite that this studio has no goddamn clue what they're doing anymore.

The show is about a teenage betamale who gets caught up in a war between space factions on his little neutral colony. He goes to school, has a crush on some genki girl, and is generally as uninteresting aesthetically and personality-wise as every peripheral character around him. When some albino walks up to him out of nowhere and calls him out on this, he later decides to jump in a big, ugly robot and resign his humanity to blow some shit up. And then he's a vampire, I guess.

Valvrave has "please let me be mass market" all over it. Everyone is moe as fuck, the robots are over-designed, and it's following in the footsteps of shows like Geass and Guilty Crown by taking something that's been done dozens of times, and then making the main character a macguffin-powered wizard/vampire/molester. This dark twist that risks this two-dimensional goon's humanity will undoubtedly lead simpletons to think his character is deep, but I can only hope that after Guilty Crown people are getting sick of this garbage.

The other characters range between a large spectrum of tropes that we've all seen before. Jock guy, otaku girl, energetic moron girl, group of psychotic, two-dimensional villainous teens, girl whose entire character is defined by her gigantic breasts, et cetera. None of them are introduced or delivered well. No one in this show acts like a normal human being, but are rather just "anime characters". They don't have any original or interesting quirks, either. Everyone's played pretty straight, and it's really easy to tell by the quality of writing this early that none of this will get better. So yes, if you like your anime with characters you don't have to think at all about or relate to, and just want a bunch of colorful 2-D cutouts spouting recycled lines and exceptionally dumb bullshit at each other, this is the show for you. If you like your anime casts completely identical to one another, this is the show for you. If your definition of good character interaction is making noises and spouting childish philosophies at each other within 10 seconds of meeting, this is the show for you. Otherwise, watch MJP or Gargantia.

The directing, cinematography and animation in Valvrave are all incredibly "meh". There are tiny bits of good animation in completely inconsequential parts, like the hot dog eating contest at the very beginning, and the CGI moves around pretty okay, but the laser and explosion effects look terrible and there's a lot of "still thing panning on a flat background". There aren't any good or visually memorable shots in the whole affair, either, so it's not like the laziness can be forgiven like in Eva. Valvrave as a whole is just not really anything to look at.

The music sucks. There's generic opera-ish stuff while the main character is blowing things up at the end of episode 1, and I can't even remember any other tracks being present. I hate the OP, because it's just TM Revolution but worse. The opening animation is just as boring and lazy as the rest of the show, too.

I think that just about covers it. I'm not being presumptuous at all, because with the studio's recent track record and how everything was displayed in the first episode, it's not going to get any better. There's a very high chance it'll get hilariously stupid and entertaining in an ironic way, but if you're looking for any kind of legitimate quality in your show, skip this. Skip it, and go right into Majestic Prince and Gargantia. Or the other other mecha show, Attack on Titan."
Apr 11, 2013 11:41 PM

Apr 2011
this show is INSANE!
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Apr 11, 2013 11:46 PM
Jul 2008
I assure you i know that. But they had at least they had a little backstory to explain a little of how they could pilot a mecha and a whole show to develop their OP abilities. A disregard humanity button doesn't do it for me.

This does seem like Gundam through and through with character developments and interaction. But they changed it a bit so it wouldn't be exactly like Gundam especially with some Geass writing influence, which is exactly why I said 'why couldn't they make a proper one' like another 00, that was their thing. And I never said I liked any of the Gundam MCs. I hated pretty much all Gundam MCs. I loved the shows though. But they are not as annoying as these half ass, weak willed MCs they keep writing in, in the industry. I can stand an asshole, annoying, or angsty mc but not these weak sauce mcs who was not trying become op .

The only show I know that killed off and dealt with Heroine/MC love intest death after episode 1 was Cross Game. (I highly doubt she died)

I wouldn't defend this show knowing they could do better than to just throw random things that seem interesting together.

Irenesharda said:

Umm, ending notwithstanding, this WAS Gundam in everything but name. Do you know how many "annoying MCs that become ace pilots" Gundam has in its vast library? Quite a few, I promise you.

If you just started watching anime/shounen/mecha shows then this might not be bad, but like I said I may be desensitized to enjoy this. And Nyoron I enjoyed 08th MS Team and Scryed. Scryed was awesome despite some very bad parts about it. There should be more MC's like Kazuma. And I wouldn't describe Attack on Titans even as a 'other other mecha show'. Nothing in that show resembles an inkling of a mecha show.
xnipeApr 11, 2013 11:58 PM
Apr 11, 2013 11:49 PM

Feb 2013
Num1dad_Asura said:
Irenesharda said:

I kinda thought they are just alternative forms of Valvrave, you know like the Strike or Impulse gundam.

Well, those are just models, but I'm assuming that they all have the same "resigning humanity" contract. Which would inject them with whatever that stuff was that makes them immortal.
Apr 11, 2013 11:56 PM

Jul 2012
Irenesharda said:
Num1dad_Asura said:
Irenesharda said:

Well, those are just models, but I'm assuming that they all have the same "resigning humanity" contract. Which would inject them with whatever that stuff was that makes them immortal.

No I meant like external equipment for the same Valvrave.
[/url]
Apr 11, 2013 11:57 PM

Aug 2012
Nyron said:
also I wrote a review, but IDK if it'll be posted thanks to MAL's dumb new requirements

[cut for length]

I'm really just too baffled by what reads as a scathing, nonsensical wall of text?? This "review" sounds more like a "i'm gonna rip on this anime just 'cause". I'm not even sure if we were watching the same show. There's something called "being reasonably critical", and you're far from it.

I personally won't praise Valvrave as the best show of the current season, but that first episode surely wasn't a pile of rubbish.

....MP, on the other hand. Really?

>"I hate the OP, because it's just TM Revolution but worse."

This though. THIS is unacceptable.
Apr 11, 2013 11:58 PM
Jan 2009
My expectations for mecha anime are very high
Also one does not simply mashup two pop song artists into an OP and have it be good

Scryed and 08th ms team were great
I was trying to make a point about how low sunrise has fallen since then

Also also Attack on Titan is totally mecha. You gotta read that manga
NyronApr 12, 2013 12:02 AM
Apr 11, 2013 11:58 PM
Jul 2012
OMG i haven't been this angry at a show since.....ever
Apr 11, 2013 11:59 PM
Dec 2012
now, now, what did we learn about guns/objects in a zombie apocalypse? the head, haha anyways, quite interested in seeing more, i already like several of the new anime being aired.
Apr 12, 2013 12:00 AM

Feb 2013
Agarest said:
I assure you i know that. But they had at least they had a little backstory to explain a little of how they could pilot a mecha and a whole show to develop their OP abilities. A disregard humanity button doesn't do it for me.

This does seem like Gundam through and through with character developments and interaction. But they changed it a bit so it wouldn't be exactly like Gundam especially with some Geass writing influence, which is exactly why I said 'why couldn't they make a proper one' like another 00, that was their thing. And I never said I liked any of the Gundam MCs. I hated pretty much all Gundam MCs. I loved the shows though. But they are not as annoying as these half ass, weak willed MCs they keep writing in, in the industry. I can stand an asshole, annoying, or angsty mc but not these weak sauce mcs who was not trying become op .

The only show I know that killed off and dealt with Heroine/MC love intest death after episode 1 was Cross Game. (I highly doubt she died)

I wouldn't defend this show knowing they could do better than to just throw random things that seem interesting together.

Irenesharda said:

If you just started watching anime/shounen/mecha shows then this might not be bad, but like I said I may be desensitized to enjoy this.

Believe me, I've been watching mech and anime in general for quite a number of years, and yes some things I get bored with and desensitized. I know what your talking about, and yes I have had my fill of weak, annoying MCs.

But I still enjoy a good mech show that follows the formula, even if I've seen it quite a few times before.
I was simply pointing out that you said you wanted a Gundam show, and that was pretty much exactly what this was.
And Gundam's MCs quite frankly sometimes ARE that bad. My favorite of them all will always be Amuro Ray, who is the best among them in my opinion, but yeah, they are pretty bad.

But to each his own. I can understand if this was the one that broke the camels back. I have had many shows that were okay, but the cliches caused me to drop it.
Apr 12, 2013 12:01 AM

Apr 2012
Nyron said:

Examples then?
Cause Phi Brain was great and Tiger and Bunny, don't even get me started on that show, I love it. Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou was hilarious as well. All of those three shows were in the last two years so unless you have examples showing that Sunrise has fallen, I don't see how we can complain that Sunrise is the studio behind this show.
Apr 12, 2013 12:05 AM
Jan 2009
SenutiAi said:
Nyron said:

Examples then?
Cause Phi Brain was great and Tiger and Bunny, don't even get me started on that show, I love it. Danshi Koukousei No Nichijou was hilarious as well. All of those three shows were in the last two years so unless you have examples showing that Sunrise has fallen, I don't see how we can complain that Sunrise is the studio behind this show.

N o one watched phi brain.
And don't get ME started on T&B. The show went from 10/10 to god awful in the last third. that show killed all the faith I had left Iin them
Apr 12, 2013 12:12 AM

Mar 2012
Nyron said:

I watched Phi Brain and thought it was pretty good : /
Apr 12, 2013 12:13 AM

Jul 2012
Nyron said:
SenutiAi said:
Nyron said:

Examples then?

And don't get ME started on T&B. The show went from 10/10 to god awful in the last third. that show killed all the faith I had left Iin them

Allright you hate sunrise cool, we understand. Now can you finally move on with your life?
[/url]
Apr 12, 2013 12:15 AM

Apr 2012
Nyron said:
SenutiAi said:
Nyron said:

Examples then?

No one watched it? So why is it getting a THIRD season.

As for Tiger and Bunny, I'm going to ignore your comment because at the end of the day I know that it's not true. If the show was ruined for you then I'm sorry that sucks for you, but I think there's a lot of people that would disagree with you.

By the way, you still didn't give me any examples.
Apr 12, 2013 12:15 AM

Apr 2012
xAvengerx said:
Nyron said:

I watched Phi Brain and thought it was pretty good : /

Thank you!
Apr 12, 2013 12:16 AM
Jun 2011
I'm so glad they killed off that Shoko bitch, she was extremely annoying. Now, please just stay dead, thank you.
We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

Apr 12, 2013 12:23 AM

Apr 2009
Ha ha, oh god, what the fuck am I watching?

I've been waiting for another incredibly enjoyable original anime trainwreck to come along, and I guess this fits the bill.
AmarrezApr 12, 2013 12:31 AM
Apr 12, 2013 12:25 AM

Apr 2011
Ballermina said:
Every year, there's a new beta MC to make fun of. Getting real tired of your shit, anime.

Most mecha shows are
- MC loves (some) girl
- MC doesnt have any nuts to confess.
- MC gets in giant mecha and kicks ass.

This show has:
- MC loves (some) girl
- MC has nuts to confess to girl he likes
- MC love interest gets killed in (1st epd)
- MC gets Mecha and takes revenge for love interest
- MC makes enemies into chopped meat
- MC gets stabbed, and shot, then comes back to life and goes vamp on mofos

So what is funny about him?

Apr 12, 2013 12:29 AM
Jan 2011
IZEROII said:
Dude that was pretty good. They should of just done a new Gundam (Origin doesn't count) though to redeem that AGE bullshit.

I just wanted to say this, still, thanks for mentioning it ww
meganezukiApr 12, 2013 12:34 AM
Apr 12, 2013 12:31 AM
Sep 2012
HungLikeaZombie said:

This show has:
- MC loves (some) girl

MC did not confess to Shoko, he was going to tell her he is going out with transferee-chan. :3
Apr 12, 2013 12:32 AM

Mar 2011
Vampire? What was injected by Valvrave exactly...
The animation was a bit lazy, but overall decent
I love the opening
Pretty good beginning, but the flow feels disconnected
Apr 12, 2013 12:34 AM

Apr 2011
bippo said:
HungLikeaZombie said:

This show has:
- MC loves (some) girl

MC did not confess to Shoko, he was going to tell her he is going out with transferee-chan. :3

you are correct he was 50% away from completing his sentence

Apr 12, 2013 12:37 AM
Jul 2008
Irenesharda said:

Believe me, I've been watching mech and anime in general for quite a number of years, and yes some things I get bored with and desensitized. I know what your talking about, and yes I have had my fill of weak, annoying MCs.

But I still enjoy a good mech show that follows the formula, even if I've seen it quite a few times before.
I was simply pointing out that you said you wanted a Gundam show, and that was pretty much exactly what this was.
And Gundam's MCs quite frankly sometimes ARE that bad. My favorite of them all will always be Amuro Ray, who is the best among them in my opinion, but yeah, they are pretty bad.

But to each his own. I can understand if this was the one that broke the camels back. I have had many shows that were okay, but the cliches caused me to drop it.

I've seen far worse shows and I'm not saying this is ultra bad, but like Nyron, I was expecting something badass with the writing and people involved.

If anything they are straying from their formula which isn't a bad thing but it's getting weird and overall not good (Personal opinion). I know I am in the minority as a lot of the forum posts suggest they liked/loved this. Just offering my 2 cents.

And I was trying to say since it was similar to Gundam, and why couldn't they have gone all in for another rehashing with the Gundam formula. This was almost like Gundam but not quite or what I mean was, I was hoping it'd not be similar to seed/destiny. I'm retconning AGE. While I was watching this, It would hook me for a sec and then drop the ball the next for the whole epsidoe. Just hating these weak mcs based on romcoms.
xnipeApr 12, 2013 12:44 AM
Apr 12, 2013 12:39 AM

Jun 2012
Ohhhh! Those Sunrise production values!

The way the story played itself out was done awkwardly with Haruto just knowing to get into the Valvrave for revenge. I felt it over dramatized the situation at hand showing him getting beat up trying to make us think he's gonna die but it's freaking episode 1. I didn't get the sense of danger they were trying to impose on me as a viewer.

Lots of visual goodness though and I didn't find it frustrating. As for the cast, who we were shown in the premiere were likable enough. Haruto got on my nerves at first but I can see him growing up as the show progresses.

I wonder if the show is going to be of a serialized nature with plot twists every episode. I mean WTF at the end lol? Vampires in my mecha? Was not expecting that
HybridMBLApr 12, 2013 1:00 AM
Pages (10) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» is it good?

me_good - Mar 24, 2016

2 by RudeRedis »»
Jan 20, 9:37 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 27, 2013

432 by neeJay »»
Mar 17, 2023 7:27 AM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2013

676 by Catalano »»
Nov 13, 2021 12:09 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 16, 2013

270 by Catalano »»
Oct 6, 2021 11:55 PM

Poll: » Kakumeiki Valvrave Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 9, 2013

342 by Catalano »»
Sep 29, 2021 9:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.