Forum Settings
Forums

Urobuchi's Original TV Anime 'Suisei no Gargantia' Announced

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Dec 7, 2012 10:11 AM

Oct 2007
Fai said:
There's barely anything worth seeing this year.
Everything I listed above.

symbv said:
As far as I see, all the excitement in forums in the west is one-sided in talking about Urobuchi. To me it is just an indication that people in the west do not know about Naruko. I of course expect Urobuchi got talked a lot more than Naruko. It is the same case in Japan, but the fact that there is absolutely NONE whatsoever mention about Naruko doing the original character design is just evidence of ignorance to me. Nothing else.
In one thread i saw on today people were talking much more about Naruko Hanaharu but they're very different from average gaijin fans and surely enjoy adult stuff, so that's hardly surprising.

@MasterXionic, I watch Psycho-Pass every week ;)
ProgeuszDec 7, 2012 10:17 AM
Dec 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Nov 2008
might give it a try but i still need more info.
Dec 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Apr 2011
I understand why people don't like Psycho-pass with its emphasis on philosophical talk (not nonsense mind you), so it naturally becomes somewhat superficial for some and epic for others, it is Seinen after all, and Gits for example is heavy on the talking, too. But that's no excuse to bash it either by saying it's bad and boring, you need to explain WHY it is bad and boring as objectively and convincingly you can.
Dec 7, 2012 11:18 AM

Oct 2007
I don't mind philosophical talk at all. I explained it few times already but the setting and especially decisions made by characters are too ridiculous to be justified just by saying "Whole point of Psycho-Pass is showing that Sybil system is flawed". If I had to pinpoint the biggest fault of this anime, it would be writing.
Dec 7, 2012 11:24 AM

Sep 2012
Progeusz said:
I don't mind philosophical talk at all. I explained it few times already but the setting and especially decisions made by characters are too ridiculous to be justified just by saying "Whole point of Psycho-Pass is showing that Sybil system is flawed"
I would argue that the whole point of Psycho-Pass is not even that Sybil system is flawed, but the evolved society is flawed in which the Sybil system happens to be a major part of it. All the talks and discussions about the motives and background for the crime and culprits never really touch on the Sybil system but the actual rules and modes of operations in this society, which may or may not be facilitated by the Sybil system. So far I have not seen an actual direct criticism about Sybil system being flawed, although I won't be surprised if such criticism should come up later in the series.

Surely this does not dispute (nor confirm) your point. My comment is just a side comment about the series.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 7, 2012 11:52 AM

Sep 2012
Progeusz said:
I don't mind philosophical talk at all. I explained it few times already but the setting and especially decisions made by characters are too ridiculous to be justified just by saying "Whole point of Psycho-Pass is showing that Sybil system is flawed". If I had to pinpoint the biggest fault of this anime, it would be writing.

You don't seem to be really familiar with dystopia judging your criticisms of this anime. You would be quite surprised at what some intelligent people were capable of doing in Germany during WW2.

Considering that the society you'll live in can't have an impact on your thought process is the only ridiculous thing here.
Dec 7, 2012 12:15 PM

Jul 2011
Interesting looking character designs will wait until they reveal more about it.

sagdashin said:
I understand why people don't like Psycho-pass with its emphasis on philosophical talk (not nonsense mind you), so it naturally becomes somewhat superficial for some and epic for others, it is Seinen after all, and Gits for example is heavy on the talking, too. But that's no excuse to bash it either by saying it's bad and boring, you need to explain WHY it is bad and boring as objectively and convincingly you can.

For me its a case of frequency, quantity in terms of number of characters and the context of which its being used that makes Gen's use of philosophy irritating. It just comes off incredibly artificial and fails to make its intended impact. Its makes the characters feel stiff and as a result makes me feel detached from them as it seems incredibly transparent that they're constantly talking in riddles for no reason.

For example the dark swamp analogy in the latest episode. that wasn't deep. Was it really necessary to try and emphasize that people who venture into the unknown may not come back the same. Did anyone really think to themselves "when he puts it that way, it really does make you think"?. The show itself has improved quite a bit with the last arc and episode but it remains nothing ground breaking in my case anyway.
Dec 7, 2012 12:47 PM

May 2011
I'm a fan of Urobuchi's writing, will keep an eye out for this.
Dec 7, 2012 1:02 PM

Jul 2008
I can't believe how many people are in here raging on Psycho-Pass. I think its one of this years highlights to be honest, and I can't think of a single anime I'd put above it from this season or the last. It's refreshing to see such a brilliantly realized world with realistic character development that isn't spoon-fed to us.

The people ragging on this show sound absolutely crazy to me. I've been enjoying it as much as Puella Magi Madoka Magica to be honest. To each their own I guess.

By the way, ANN has Urobuchi listed as Script Supervisor on this one. So which is it, supervisor or series compostion/scripts?
Dec 7, 2012 1:09 PM

Jul 2007
symbv said:
Fai said:
Why not quit being an anime fan so that your misery can end?

Yes because, just because the anime market is ruled by slice-of-life stuff for last year, it should obviously be an end of the world.

If "Being a fan" includes blindly munching on generic done-before shows every season just so I have anything "anime" to watch, then I am happy to be merely a normal human with interest in anime.

Progeusz said:
Fai said:
Everything I listed above.

Sorry, have absolutely no interest in comedy, romance or usual 1000-generic-copies-per-season kitsch of slice-of-life and there's nothing really good in that list, apart from F/0, Hyouka and Jinrui(despite its drug-induced whacky-ness and main character design), all three of which I have seen (So I do not update my list every day, so sue me).

So yeah when in entire season there's only one or two shows worth attention and the rest is generic "omg highschool life" stuff, it does classify as "barely anything worth seeing".

Now does that mean that the shows that aired this year are horrible? Nope. Last year had some uber big trainwrecks that will never ever be topped (*cough*Blood-C*cough*).

There just were far more mediocre anime shows this year than the last year, overall and far less of the stand-out quality shows that would be interesting to stick around till the end.

NeoBasch said:
I can't believe how many people are in here raging on Psycho-Pass. I think its one of this years highlights to be honest, and I can't think of a single anime I'd put above it from this season or the last. It's refreshing to see such a brilliantly realized world with realistic character development that isn't spoon-fed to us.

The people ragging on this show sound absolutely crazy to me. I've been enjoying it as much as Puella Magi Madoka Magica to be honest. To each their own I guess.
?

Mostly agreed, even if I do think its not as good as Madoka was. Its certainly unique, complex and better than 99% of other shows this year.
Dec 7, 2012 1:11 PM
Nov 2010
More shows for the Urobuchitards.
Dec 7, 2012 1:20 PM

Jul 2010
Hey, gotta give a look since it's Urobuchi.
Dec 7, 2012 4:21 PM

Oct 2007
SetsukoHara said:
Considering that the society you'll live in can't have an impact on your thought process is the only ridiculous thing here.
Whoa, whoa, calm down, you're going a little bit too far with your implications. I never said anything of that sort and complaints I have with the series can't be explained just by change in mentality. Sibyl or not, it should be obvious that Dominators are extremely inefficient, interrogation should be prioritized over immediate killing of one and only existing witness/link to Makishima, especially when he's already unarmed, trapped and completely harmless in general etc.
What Enforcers (edit: and Inspectors) are doing in this series is beyond stupid. Only Kougami, Akane and Masaoka show the slightest bits of intelligence from time to time. Well, Kogami and Masaoka usualy do that, Akane too, when she isn't preoccupied with being extremely moe. Well, Masaoka has no chance to fail as he's only giving advices to troubled youngsters so that leaves Kougami to do all the thinking but even he has dumb moments like letting Rikako escape so easily.
I admit that I'm not too familiar with dystopian settings.

@symbv, I can see how you came up with that view and actually have to agree right now but the feeling that in near future focus of PP will turn to questioning "infallibility" of Sibyl lingers in me since I picked up the series. I might be wrong though and after watching 09 I'm no longer sure how things will look like in second cour, it can go either way.
ProgeuszDec 7, 2012 4:26 PM
Dec 7, 2012 5:11 PM

Jul 2010
so who's gonna die this time? I say its the girl on the bottom left of the scan

Dec 8, 2012 2:24 AM

Mar 2008
I really liked Madoka and Psycho-Pass, so this one wouldn't be a exception. I love the artwork, and I'm curious to see what the story would be like.

Also, more staff details :
Mecha designer : Makoto Ishiwata
Music : Taro Iwashiro
Animation Production : Production I.G

Plot summary is here (I tried to translate it on Google Translate, but there's some errors left and right) :
Quote:
人類銀河連盟と異形の怪生命体「ヒディアーズ」の戦いが繰り広げられる遠い未来。
戦うことしかしらない少年兵レドが、ワープ事故によりたどり着いたのは、
海上都市のように連結された船団で人々が暮らす未知の惑星だった。
Dec 8, 2012 5:16 AM
Aug 2011
Synopsis:
duckroll said:
The story is a scifi adventure anime set in a future where the human alliance is at war in space with a mysterious alien race Hideous. Red is a young child soldier who only knows war, but when he is caught in a warp accident, he finds himself on a unknown water based planet where people live together in large ship convoys.

Dec 8, 2012 5:22 AM
Sep 2012
So MC is fighting these aliens called hideous and becomes an alien himself because he crashed into an unknown planet a.k.a waterworld full of girls wearing flip flops...Urobuchi what the hell.
Dec 8, 2012 8:28 AM

Oct 2007
So... shounen with action, harem and beautiful chara designs? I'm in!
Dec 8, 2012 8:32 AM

Sep 2012
Fai said:
symbv said:
Fai said:
Why not quit being an anime fan so that your misery can end?
Yes because, just because the anime market is ruled by slice-of-life stuff for last year, it should obviously be an end of the world.
Well, you said there is "barely anything worth seeing this year" and this year will soon end. So out of all the hundreds of anime offered in TV, movies, OVA with all the range of genres and subjects you are saying there is little worth seeing. And the fact is slice-of-life is not everything this year anime has to offer. Since you set your criteria so aloof and strict so that there is almost nothing worth seeing in this whole year, it is most likely that your taste has deviated so much from what the anime industry is going to offer and the buying fans in Japan like. In this case you might as well quit being a fan and stop following MAL.
Fai said:
If "Being a fan" includes blindly munching on generic done-before shows every season just so I have anything "anime" to watch, then I am happy to be merely a normal human with interest in anime.
Then you should go for it. Be a mere human. Because you are less a fan than a critic that wants anime to be in a form that you desire but most likely will not happen anyway.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 8, 2012 8:38 AM

Sep 2012
MisaoFan said:
Plot summary is here (I tried to translate it on Google Translate, but there's some errors left and right) :
Quote:
人類銀河連盟と異形の怪生命体「ヒディアーズ」の戦いが繰り広げられる遠い未来。
戦うことしかしらない少年兵レドが、ワープ事故によりたどり着いたのは、
海上都市のように連結された船団で人々が暮らす未知の惑星だった。

Translation:

This is in far future when the war between Human Galaxy Alliance and the mysterious alien life "Hidi Earth" is going on and on. A young soldier, Ledo, who has been fighting in the war got into a warp accident, and he find himself arrvied at an unknown planet, where people live in fleet of spaceships that are bound together like a city on a sea.

Dec 8, 2012 12:42 PM

Apr 2011
MC (I think it is) looks like Kirito from SaO, and that's not a good thing
Dec 8, 2012 1:16 PM
Nov 2011
I've not seen Pyscho Pass yet, so I can't really compare, but I rather like a couple of shows from this season and last.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Dec 8, 2012 2:17 PM

Jan 2008
Character art by someone who does a lot of hentai manga. Will watch.
Dec 8, 2012 3:49 PM

Feb 2009
Judging by the character designs, I am skeptical about this new show. It reeks of a fanservice show.

Since Urobuchi is writing it, I'll give it a shot. I've liked all of his works so far. Psycho-Pass was easily my favorite new show this year. Madoka, of course, was fantastic as well. I haven't had a chance to watch Blassreiter yet. Saya no Uta was probably one of my favorite VNs.

Yeah, let's hope he does a good job on this and my pre-conceptions are wrong. When I heard about Madoka, I thought it would be a annoying magical girl show. That changed about 1/4 the way in...
Dec 8, 2012 5:00 PM

Feb 2012
Progeusz said:
So... shounen with action, harem and beautiful chara designs? I'm in!

This. :D
Dec 8, 2012 7:52 PM

Oct 2008
Amarrez said:
game8910 said:
Apart from Madoka Urobutchi's writing has been pretty underwhelming. No, Fate/Zero sucked too.

Not really. You also have to take other things into account, like Saya no Uta (which was excellent).

I'll give Urobuchi the benefit of the doubt. Both Fate/Zero and Psycho Pass certainly had a lot of potential in its premise, characters and plot developments. What I found lacklustre was perhaps how the writing was handled.

Fate/Zero had beautifully crafted animation and fighting sequences, but these very short moments of awesomeness were broken up by very poorly directed and paced events, so much so that they induced boredom. I don't mind info-dumping, but at least make it interesting.

Psycho Pass just didn't appeal to me. The premise again was very promising. But I just could not connect with the characters and I just wasn't that impressed with how the plot developed in the firs three episodes.
Dec 8, 2012 9:06 PM

Apr 2012
I think he's great at what he does, which is story telling. But this guy definitely has a bleak world view and the amount of despair can sometimes boggle down an otherwise decent plot. I enjoyed both Fate/Zero and Madoka, but emotionally, I connect with neither. I like PP quite a bit, but I have a feeling it's gonna tread the same territory as far as world view goes. Still, Urobuchi aside, if it's I.G + sci-fi + a competent director, I'll be glad to give it a try.
Dec 8, 2012 9:58 PM
Mar 2010
PlotExMachina said:

umm.....I smell harem. >_<

But its Urobuchi so it won't be another case of 'generic-harem-10997'. At least, I think it won't.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 8, 2012 10:20 PM

Oct 2010
I actually enjoy Psycho Pass more than Madoka. Akane is much better than Madoka as a heroine, at least she's logical and relate-able (while Madoka is just plain F/SN Emiya Shirou). Homura and Kyoko is the only thing keeping the anime enjoyable.

Well, PP is certainly one of my top ten shows this year, maybe number 4 or 5.

F/Z > PP > Madoka

PlotExMachina said:
Synopsis:
duckroll said:
The story is a scifi adventure anime set in a future where the human alliance is at war in space with a mysterious alien race Hideous. Red is a young child soldier who only knows war, but when he is caught in a warp accident, he finds himself on a unknown water based planet where people live together in large ship convoys.

So... here we got another Kirito only with Akise Aru's head + brand new set of harem + Star Ocean Second Story premise? Great. And this time he'll choose Lyzbeth (only with brown hair) over Asuna? Okay.

Reim_SeranthDec 8, 2012 10:24 PM

~ IA- Aria on the Planetes ~ Vocaloid V3 voiced by LiA (Clannad Afterstory, Angel Beats! theme song singer)
Dec 8, 2012 10:42 PM

Aug 2011
AWWWW SHIIIEIEEEETTTTT SOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

Edit: Aw damn why does the premise look so lame... It's okay. I will have faith in Urobutcher.
yamagoopDec 8, 2012 10:50 PM
Dec 9, 2012 12:09 PM
Oct 2010
Those characters really have me worried..... I hope it isn't a harem, has very minimal or no fanservice ( if it does at least not ridiculous shit like constant panty shots and bouncing tits) and the MC doesn't whining 24/7 or super emo.
GD1551Dec 10, 2012 1:19 PM
Dec 10, 2012 3:33 AM
Aug 2011
More images & designs. There are characters' descriptions here (in Japanese) http://www.famitsu.com/news/201212/10025662.html

Dec 10, 2012 3:35 AM

Nov 2011
Akise Aru meets Truth from E7AO.
Dec 10, 2012 4:07 AM

Oct 2007
I love those healthy chara designs.
Dec 10, 2012 4:28 AM
Aug 2011
Official site: http://gargantia.jp/
Some more designs there. They are probably gonna upload a PV soon.
Dec 10, 2012 4:47 AM

Aug 2008
...Those ships are ludicrously top-heavy. I wonder just how they're able to put out to sea for prolonged periods without capsizing.
Dec 10, 2012 4:59 AM
Sep 2012
Those ships are awesome. I hope I.G will have the right staff to CG those things.
Dec 10, 2012 5:02 AM

Nov 2011
LelouchZero said:
...Those ships are ludicrously top-heavy. I wonder just how they're able to put out to sea for prolonged periods without capsizing.

Not necessarily. They could have a giant fin on the underside that goes 50 feet down underwater to counter balance the top-heaviness and lower the center of gravity. Plus, if we go down that road - how the hell do you power a mecha for more than 3 seconds? Nuclear reactors? :)
Dec 10, 2012 6:27 AM

Aug 2008
neontaster said:
LelouchZero said:

Not necessarily. They could have a giant fin on the underside that goes 50 feet down underwater to counter balance the top-heaviness and lower the center of gravity. Plus, if we go down that road - how the hell do you power a mecha for more than 3 seconds? Nuclear reactors? :)

A single massive keel fin would pretty much prevent the ship from docking at an actual harbor. Then again, I suppose that's why they have those mobile oil refineries; those towers look like fractional distillation columns. I would assume there are other types of auxiliaries.

Considering that Urobutcher has a hand in this, I will be very disappointed if there isn't any carnage. A mobile oil refinery should go up pretty nicely, and considering the potential for overcrowding aboard those residential ships, one of those things capsizing would make SS Eastland or MS Estonia look like the Costa Concordia by comparison.
Dec 10, 2012 6:37 AM

Nov 2011
LelouchZero said:

A single massive keel fin would pretty much prevent the ship from docking at an actual harbor. Then again, I suppose that's why they have those mobile oil refineries; those towers look like fractional distillation columns. I would assume there are other types of auxiliaries.

You'd need deep sea harbors that are crazy deep. LOL. I can't believe we're discussing this stuff seriously.
Dec 10, 2012 6:39 AM

Sep 2012
skudoops said:
Those characters really have me worried..... I hope it isn't a harem, has very minimal or no fanservice
Those characters really have me excited... I don't mind if it is a harem (yeah, Urobuchi wrote for adult VN in the past, right?) but I'd expect quite a bit of fan service.

Anyway, the ship design and the world view somehow gave me that Miyazaki vibe... but of course I don't think the story would be anything like Miyazaki's. But will Urobuchi again throw us a bleak world view? From past interview it seems to me that he is incapable of writing something else.

Dec 10, 2012 9:18 AM

Oct 2008
wishbook said:
So... here we got another Kirito only with Akise Aru's head + brand new set of harem + Star Ocean Second Story premise? Great. And this time he'll choose Lyzbeth (only with brown hair) over Asuna? Okay.

This!
Dec 10, 2012 10:08 AM

Feb 2010
bt-kun said:
wishbook said:

This!

Let's make even more comparisons!
Akise AO with Taiga, Yoko and Chitanda in his harem and a uniform that looks remotely similar to Lelouchs. Aka stop bringing SAO up everywhere, and those comparisons are kinda stupid anyway.

What we got to see so far looks good, the main question now is if he will bring it all on the fucked-up side of plots or make something less predictably unpredictable this time.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 10, 2012 10:25 AM

Apr 2010
skudoops said:
Those characters really have me worried..... I hope it isn't a harem, has very minimal or no fanservice ( if it does not ridiculous shit like constant panty shots and bouncing tits) and the MC doesn't whine 24/7 or super emo.

If you're hoping its not fanservice, you're likely out of luck. Its one of the most well known hentai artists designing the characters, after all.

Dec 10, 2012 1:17 PM
Oct 2010
RyanSaotome said:
skudoops said:
Those characters really have me worried..... I hope it isn't a harem, has very minimal or no fanservice ( if it does not ridiculous shit like constant panty shots and bouncing tits) and the MC doesn't whine 24/7 or super emo.

If you're hoping its not fanservice, you're likely out of luck. Its one of the most well known hentai artists designing the characters, after all.

Yeah, that's why I kinda worried by it, I'll probably skip this one if it's too much.
Dec 10, 2012 2:06 PM

Jun 2009
Well, to play Devil's advocate. There are plenty of eroges out there that don't have much fanservice aside from the obvious h-scenes. I'm not saying that there won't be much fanservice, I'm just saying a hentai artist doesn't necessarily mean there WILL be fanservice. The guy may want to branch away from that anyway.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Dec 10, 2012 5:44 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Another one? Yeeeesssss!

I'm level on MAL-Badges. View my badges.
Dec 10, 2012 7:33 PM

Jul 2010
the female MC looks awfully familiar, or is it the art?? somehow reminds me of tears to tiara...

Dec 11, 2012 9:10 AM

Nov 2010
Do you guys seriously expecting Gen Urobuchi will write another Kirito?

From every chances of mistakes that he could do as a writer, writing a perfectly naive-gary stue like him would be the most unlikable case...

And even if he write one, you know that his life won't be going well at all...

===================================

Ehem, and about the character designer, I am liking it and ex-porn artist are actually a nice choice for character designer... As long it doesn't have too many fanservice, which is not in his hand's control.

Character is the weakest part of Gen Uro's storywriting skill, so I hope this kind of design will give additional strength to his characters. He was born in VN industry that has plenty of adult material, afterall.
Dec 12, 2012 9:11 AM

Sep 2011
@zeroyuki92

Ex-porn artist? Dude's still drawing in Comic Kairakuten.
and definitely a good choice, alot of Hentai artists have incredibily awesome drawing skills.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» 'Raise wa Tanin ga Ii' Unveils Main Cast, Staff, Fall 2024 Premiere

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

7 by tragedydesu »»
3 minutes ago

» 'Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei: Yotsuba Keishou-hen' Anime Movie Announced

Hyperion_PS - 6 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
6 minutes ago

» Web Manga 'Awajima Hyakkei' Gets Anime

DatRandomDude - May 8

8 by RobertBobert »»
12 minutes ago

» 'Wind Breaker' Season 2 Announced for 2025

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

10 by RobertBobert »»
1 hour ago

» Manga 'Bad Girl' Gets TV Anime

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

19 by MegamiRem »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.