Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 3, 2012 12:52 AM

Dec 2010
Whre is America? It's just like sniper island. Its in your heart.
Sep 4, 2012 10:14 AM

Jun 2008
Just have to comment, Bandit Keith is hilarious. I never get old of his love for america. It's so... patriotic. And mostly because of LittleKuriboh, I don't remember remotely if the actual show had Keith repeating America so much.
Sep 4, 2012 12:00 PM

Dec 2009
Here:
Sep 4, 2012 12:51 PM

Feb 2010
bottle said:
Here:

What does this have to do with anything?
Sep 4, 2012 2:21 PM

Dec 2009
FatherAnderson said:

What does this have to do with anything?

That's what they said at around 2:38
Sep 4, 2012 2:37 PM

Dec 2009
This is almost a mind-fuck since it is kinda confuzing xD

But I'm assuming that your American, but keeping in mind that maybe you moved somewhere else for too long that makes you tecnically still american but not really? ...
is what I think

hard to explain.
Sep 4, 2012 5:39 PM

Mar 2011
One would think you're from the USA when you call yourself American. No one I know from any of the Americas call themself American. Even in Peru they say Peruvian...

Now if you said Native American...
"In the end the World really doesn't need a Superman. Just a Brave one"
Sep 4, 2012 5:40 PM

Jun 2010
So who likes cake?
Sep 5, 2012 8:15 AM
May 2009
Considering that USA is the United States of America (Which isn't a name btw, Its no different then the United Kingdom)

You can only use the last part of the name "America" To say what person you are.
As your Nation has no common title. Though it would be funny if people from the states refered to them selves as Texans, Yorkians, Washians, etc etc.
Nov 18, 2014 3:14 PM

May 2014
420 is the way forward.
Nov 18, 2014 3:24 PM

Mar 2013
that fight was lame
Nov 18, 2014 3:35 PM

Nov 2012
USA has no real name and that's pretty awful.
America is the region in which USA is located, but is USA at the same time...
America is inside the North region of America.

That's like if today I created a country called United States of Europe located in East Europe.
Who will be the europeans? People born in the United States of Europe or people from Europe in general?

Confusion arises with all countries with no name.
For example, the Central African Republic or CAR, what are they called?
Central Africans.
Does that mean other Africans living in the center of africa can't be called Central Africans?

The problem lied on the inaptitude of Americans (USA) to make up a name for their country. After all, what's logical about saying "America lies in the continent of North America"?
Or the country I created today, The United States of Europe lies in East Europe.
How can the whole lie in a part?

Now that I think about it, was there never propositions for the name of the USA?

---

Central Africans should create their own name for their country, as americans should create their own name for their country.
MomonoNov 18, 2014 3:40 PM
Nov 18, 2014 5:15 PM

Oct 2011
Well USA has American in it, so generally people seem to assume that the person is from the US.
If someone was from Canada, Mexico, etc., I doubt they'd say American as a serious answer.
What else would someone from the States be called? Statian? Unitican? USerican? Lol

Nov 18, 2014 5:21 PM

Feb 2012
MaiTai said:
Well USA has American in it, so generally people seem to assume that the person is from the US.
If someone was from Canada, Mexico, etc., I doubt they'd say American as a serious answer.
What else would someone from the States be called? Statian? Unitican? USerican? Lol

Murican.
Nov 18, 2014 5:28 PM

Jan 2011
When someone brings up continental America when it's obvious they mean the USA they just sound butthurt.
Nov 18, 2014 5:31 PM

Jan 2012
This is giving me flashbacks of being lectured in school about how the United States isn't the only part of America. But yeah that's what I'd assume it's just too deeply ingrained into the psyche to ignore.
Nov 18, 2014 5:31 PM

Oct 2011
Chill_ said:
MaiTai said:

Murican.

Same diff as American for the sake of this debate.

Nov 18, 2014 5:37 PM

May 2011
I always say I'm from the U.S. so I don't really deal with it, but I do notice most people just associate American with the USA.
*Cringey anime weeb stuff*
Nov 18, 2014 6:23 PM

Oct 2013
Let's change the name of the continent to avoid confusion
Nov 18, 2014 6:26 PM

Jan 2011
UnoPuntoCinco said:
Let's change the name of the continent to avoid confusion
Canamerico
Nov 18, 2014 6:27 PM

Mar 2013
question if you are from Puerto Rico or another American territory do you still call yourself American?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Nov 18, 2014 7:28 PM

Aug 2013
The United States of America.

What are the other options? United statesian? Usa..an? I have in laws and friends throughout central america, and they constantly gripe about this. Yes, "America" isn't a single country, so it would be more appropriate to say "USA" or "The United States of America". But when it comes to labeling ourselves, it's the only option that doesn't sound just weird.

But hey, propose a word we can use to identify our nationality that actually makes sense, other than "American" and nicknames like yank.

mattbenz99, good question, but I've known a lot of people from Puerto Rico, and they just call themselves Puerto Rican.
Nov 18, 2014 7:44 PM

Nov 2012
JadeQuetzal said:

What are the other options? United statesian? Usa..an? I have in laws and friends throughout central america, and they constantly gripe about this. Yes, "America" isn't a single country, so it would be more appropriate to say "USA" or "The United States of America". But when it comes to labeling ourselves, it's the only option that doesn't sound just weird.

But hey, propose a word we can use to identify our nationality that actually makes sense, other than "American" and nicknames like yank.

mattbenz99, good question, but I've known a lot of people from Puerto Rico, and they just call themselves Puerto Rican.
Maybe it's just too late consider that, but has the idea/suggestion of coming up with an original/unique (one that isn't already used for regions etc) name for the country never been brought up by the internals befoire?
MomonoNov 18, 2014 7:50 PM
Nov 18, 2014 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
Eearu said:
JadeQuetzal said:

Maybe it's just too late consider that, but has the idea/suggestion of coming up with an original name for the country never been brought up by the internals befoire?

There have been numerous suggestions, but they are never really heard out I guess. Even a couple of years ago, the president of Mexico was talking about how he'd like to change Mexico's formal name. Their formal name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, the usa translates to Estados Unidos de America. In spanish we aren't always called Americanos (o gringos), they actually have a word for us... Estadounidense (basically, united statesian...). The Mexican president at the time hated that Mexico's formal name shared that Estados Unidos part, and wanted to change it. So it's not even just the "America" part that bugs people. Every part of our country's name annoys someone. Oh, we just can't win, lol.
Nov 18, 2014 8:30 PM

Feb 2013
I just say that I'm from "The States". Whenever I say I'm American, I feel like I sound like a douche, and then stuff like this comes to mind:

Nov 19, 2014 9:43 AM

Jan 2009
JadeQuetzal said:
What are the other options? United statesian? Usa..an?

Why not just use US-American? That's my personal favorite btw., especially with the "US-" part in brackets like this: (US-)American.
Nov 19, 2014 9:44 AM

Mar 2013
the only relevant country is USA
Nov 19, 2014 9:45 AM
Jun 2014
America is located in blah blah blah with hell sitting right under it
'The way of the wang is long...and hard'
Nov 19, 2014 10:10 AM

Nov 2012
JadeQuetzal said:
There have been numerous suggestions, but they are never really heard out I guess. Even a couple of years ago, the president of Mexico was talking about how he'd like to change Mexico's formal name. Their formal name is Estados Unidos Mexicanos, the usa translates to Estados Unidos de America. In spanish we aren't always called Americanos (o gringos), they actually have a word for us... Estadounidense (basically, united statesian...). The Mexican president at the time hated that Mexico's formal name shared that Estados Unidos part, and wanted to change it. So it's not even just the "America" part that bugs people. Every part of our country's name annoys someone. Oh, we just can't win, lol.
That's very interesting, thanks for the info. But even then, changing the formal name of a country sounds much more viable because it doesn't change how they label themselves.
USA movies alone (which are everywhere and a big part of their media), bring the word "american(s)" and "america" too much by its own, simply shifting the name that has been in use for decades in media everywhere would be too hard at this point, I think.
Also, even though the word America or american(s) by itself has no sense of identity/singleness it has been used so much at this point that it probably gives americans a sense of identity by now. Probably infinitely more than Central Africans finding identity in being "central african".
Whatever works though... it would still be interesting for seeing usa getting a original/indentity name, just something I find impracticable

the usa seems to be a very nationalist country, or so is what their media/internet has led me to believe

unmemorable_hero said:
MomonoNov 19, 2014 10:15 AM
Nov 19, 2014 10:24 AM

Aug 2007
It is pretty reaching to assume that people from Canada refer to themselves as "American" when they are clearly from, wait for it, Canada... Not to mention that I don't think Canadians, Brazilians, Mexicans, etc would want to be insulted as such. I'm from America, but come on, most people have pride in the country they were born in.
Nov 19, 2014 10:49 AM

Apr 2013
LashLethal said:
America is located in blah blah blah with hell sitting right under it.
Mexico?
Nov 19, 2014 11:14 AM

Jan 2014
Scud said:
I would assume you're American.
Nicole said:
I've never met a non-US from North/South America calling themselves that.

I've never met anyone that would think it was something else either.
It's the United States of America. In other words the country's name is "America" and it is made up of "United States."

So only people from the USA are Americans. Unless another country with "America" in its name pops up. But they'd still be posers.
Nov 19, 2014 12:33 PM

Jun 2008
XeroCleaths said:
So, I have a question and I'd like to see how ppl answer.

If you don't live in any of the 35 countries that compose the Americas, and I met you online and I said "I'm American", do you assume I live in the United States or do you believe I live in one of the 35 countries composing of the Americas and then proceed to ask me which country it is I live in?

(Btw, I'm American and I do know why we refer to ourselves as American.)

Well if you spoke English i will assume you are from the USA. Is not wrong to call USA as simply America since the full name is "United states of America" therefore America can just be a short of that name.

Besides people from other countries don't call themselves American. A Mexican will say am Mexican a Canadian will say am Canadian etc.
Nov 19, 2014 1:48 PM

Jan 2014
North or South?
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
Fight again, fight again for justice!
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» 2023-2024 NBA Season Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

deg - Jun 18, 2023

834 by zzz »»
2 minutes ago

» Some of y'all are wayyy too narrow-minded and pessimisstic because of it

Timeline_man - 3 hours ago

6 by Kwanthemaster »»
13 minutes ago

» My concerns about the future of Japan.

9765 - 7 hours ago

8 by Kwanthemaster »»
14 minutes ago

Poll: » Let's appreciate MAL

Shizuna - 8 hours ago

10 by rohan121 »»
52 minutes ago

» Is y2k vintage now?

coolyfruity - 8 hours ago

2 by Kwanthemaster »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.