Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 8, 2013 10:12 AM

Aug 2013
Litrydow said:
I don't see why people lable Haruhi as "moe" along with stuff like K-On. It has an actual plot, it's a blend of supernatural, mystery, comedy and school, and Kyon is a unique MC. There's nothing generic about it.
moe =/= generic with no plot
This "new era" they talk about is a load of shit. The age where pirates dream is over!? THE DREAMS OF MEN... NEVER END! AM I RIGHT?! — Marshall D. Teach
Sep 8, 2013 10:19 AM

Feb 2013
Litrydow said:
I don't see why people lable Haruhi as "moe" along with stuff like K-On. It has an actual plot, it's a blend of supernatural, mystery, comedy and school, and Kyon is a unique MC. There's nothing generic about it.
In being open about having a moe character, Haruhi was satirizing moe, but I guess most people are unable to realize this which is why it gets labeled as moe.
Sep 8, 2013 10:20 AM

Dec 2012
One can only hope for a new Haruhi.
Sep 8, 2013 10:22 AM
Jul 2018
That'd be nice. I mean, why the blue cheese not?
Sep 8, 2013 11:35 AM

Sep 2012
Wow people are actually agreeing with MajinSaga. You have gone too far MAL, you have sunk very low...

Litrydow said:

I was about to say the same. Moe my ass, just watch at the movie.
Sep 8, 2013 11:36 AM

Jul 2012
MajinSaga said:
Hopefully never. And hopefully Kyoto Animation studio burns down.

On that day we received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of moe.. yeh you know the rest.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Sep 8, 2013 11:42 AM

Apr 2012
Jauregui said:
Wow people are actually agreeing with MajinSaga. You have gone too far MAL, you have sunk very low...

Litrydow said:

I was about to say the same. Moe my ass, just watch at the movie.

Haruhi is not as much moe but it was simply dissapointing as an anime. It started off really interesting with the mystery aspect and her being a god they have to please so nothing bad happens, but the plot quickly turned into boring slice of life and the "bad" things that happen when she isnt pleased where like not bad at all.
Sep 8, 2013 11:43 AM

Apr 2012
Unchou said:
MajinSaga said:
Hopefully never. And hopefully Kyoto Animation studio burns down.

On that day we received a grim reminder. We lived in fear of moe.. yeh you know the rest.

Is there some form of video that goes like this? An abridged series or just a spoof? I would love to see it.
Sep 8, 2013 11:44 AM

Apr 2013
You make it sound like a total different anime .........
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Sep 8, 2013 11:45 AM
Jul 2012

moe hater detected

Its not like I hate Moe as long as it does not get the main point of the anime. Its supposed to be the topping not the base.

It was the topping in Haruhi though. I usually hate such trends in anime but Haruhi was an actually good series despite having moe artsyle and being in a school. Hell, even if you consider it moe, the main character is one of the rare characters in anime that actually looks his age so that's something. People usually complain that it should had spent more time on the "plot" but that was kinda the point of the series to not to do so and present everything in an unlinear manner. It actually had a good message and themes, it wasnt some kind of mindless milking like they did recently. I'm just giving credit where it's due.
Sep 8, 2013 1:12 PM

Feb 2010
KyoAni is too busy making shit.

The movie was fantastic , if the rest could be almost as good as it then it would be really worth it.
And people calling it moeshit and whatnot don't know what the fuck they are talking about.
VanisherSep 8, 2013 1:19 PM
Sep 8, 2013 1:15 PM

Dec 2009
If I remember right I doubt it because they didn't follow the novels right.
Sep 8, 2013 1:31 PM

Sep 2012
waalex11 said:
If I remember right I doubt it because they didn't follow the novels right.

I have read the novels until the disappearance arc and it's pretty much the same as the anime if not identical.
Sep 8, 2013 1:58 PM
Aug 2011
FUck you KyoAni haters, ya'll sound fat and jealous.
Sep 8, 2013 2:07 PM

Jun 2008
Haruhi mania is far far over.

But fuck it was horribly annoying.

I still remember when that stupid song and dance was being done by every and any idiot on youtube!

I wanted to blow my fucking head off!

And then we got Endless Eight and it made me want the retarded dance to come back.

Anyways.....NO MORE HARUHI!!!
Sep 8, 2013 2:10 PM

Nov 2011
JustALEX said:

I still remember when that stupid song and dance was being done by every and any idiot on youtube!

And then we got Endless Eight and it made me want the retarded dance to come back.

Anyways..... MORE HARUHI!!!

NANDATTE?! MORE HARUHI? I AGREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Xx4tszZ-DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utnb5Mru_zo
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 8, 2013 2:13 PM

Jun 2008
I think the worse part of the fucking dance was the fact that EVEN if you did it correctly, you still look like an idiot.

And then the next year it was Lucky Star (which I liked)....but the stupid song and dance...

Please no more Haruhi or retarded high pitched song and dances!
Sep 8, 2013 2:19 PM

Aug 2012
Hopefully whenever Tanigawa starts putting out volumes a little more consistently or finishes the series, and KyoAni is through with Chuunibyou. Wishful thinking, dunno what else they'll do in the next year beyond Kyoukai no Kanata, but maybe next fall or winter 2015.

And if all you got from Haruhi was moe or no plot, you sure did miss some points here and there. Yes, the plot moves slow sometimes, but that's just the nature of the story, and it's proven vital to different character's development. I can understand people simply not liking the mix of mystery and slow pacing slice of life structure, but saying the plot is nonexistent is ridiculous.

JustALEX said:

Anyways.....NO MORE HARUHI!!!

So your complaints with Haruhi are the ED dance, and Endless Eight. Okay.
AlexTheRiotSep 8, 2013 2:25 PM
Sep 8, 2013 2:20 PM

Nov 2011
JustALEX said:
I think the worse part of the fucking dance was the fact that EVEN if you did it correctly, you still look like an idiot.

And then the next year it was Lucky Star (which I liked)....but the stupid song and dance...

What we need is a super sexy dance to get into a popular anime and everyone copy that.(Like RxV or the DxD dance or something)

I mean, these girls make Gangam style look sexy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpZhZAr1cQU
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Sep 8, 2013 2:25 PM

Apr 2013
JustALEX said:

Here some more , it's the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_indP8fT494
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Sep 8, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2013
Do not want.
Sep 8, 2013 2:33 PM

Jun 2008
AlexTheRiot said:

Dude endless eight is a HUGE complaint, Kyoani fucked that up very badly.

The dance is annoying, but the fans is what made it insufferable.

Haruhi has run it's course IMO, I would appreciate another movie (since disappearance was done so very well) but not another TV series.
Sep 8, 2013 2:43 PM

Jul 2013
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

No, they did exactly what they wanted with segment. They didn't fuck it up.
Sep 8, 2013 2:45 PM

Apr 2013
I'd like to see a new series or movie. One of my 10 favorites!
Sep 8, 2013 2:47 PM

Jun 2008
Reciprocal said:
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Right.

Cuz all the criticisms of the fans and the horrible sales numbers say otherwise, right?

Please spare me the nonsense.....if they had done endless eight in 3 episodes, more than likely there would not have been the huge uproar over it and they probably could've done better in sales.
Sep 8, 2013 2:47 PM

Jun 2007
JustALEX said:

I'd say the original author fucked it up, not KyoAni. It was a stupid idea to begin with and it was equally as stupid in the show.

They fucked up by adapting it at all, I suppose.
Sep 8, 2013 2:49 PM

Jun 2008
TallonKarrde23 said:
JustALEX said:

I'd say the original author fucked it up, not KyoAni. It was a stupid idea to begin with and it was equally as stupid in the show.

3 episodes is all they needed.

The first one, the second one where everything happens exactly and kyon realizes it....and the third one to wrap it up.

They didn't literally need 8 episodes, how in the hell did Kyoani or ANYONE would think that was a good idea I will never know.
Sep 8, 2013 2:50 PM

Jul 2013
JustALEX said:
Reciprocal said:
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Right.

Cuz all the criticisms of the fans and the horrible sales numbers say otherwise, right?

Please spare me the nonsense.....if they had done endless eight in 3 episodes, more than likely there would not have been the huge uproar over it and they probably could've done better in sales.

Lol, just because the fans think it sucked doesn't mean KyoAni share the same sentiment.

Plus, there are also a lot of people who did like the Endless Eight.
Sep 8, 2013 2:52 PM

Apr 2013
JustALEX said:
Reciprocal said:
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Right.

Actually from episode 2 to episode 9 were all endless 8 , in the 2009 version . Episode 2 marking the entrance and episode 9 the end .
Episodes 3,4,5,6,7,8 are repetitive with one or two thoughts changed in Kyons mind . I hope I remind that well .
But having 8 episodes out of 14 about endless 8 and only 2 that really mattered is pretty annoying . Personally , I get it , it was like a labyrinth for Kyon to figure out the exit and that exit was to
and he figure that out only after 7 episodes(without episode 2 and episode 9 is marked as when he figured it out).
FluffyFleshSep 8, 2013 2:56 PM
Sep 8, 2013 2:54 PM

Jun 2008
Reciprocal said:
Lol, just because the fans think it sucked doesn't mean KyoAni share the same sentiment.

I'm not sure anymore if you're trolling or not, but I'll respond as if you aren't.

KyoAni might not have shared the same sentiment because they didn't want to admit they created something insanely stupid by showing 8 episodes that are exactly the same.

The whole point of "Endless 8" is that an infinity sign looks like an eight....there was absolutely NO NEED to actually do 8 episodes, that's fucking retarded.

And yeah, maybe there were some fans that liked seeing the same thing 8 times in a row, the overwhelming majority DID NOT.
Sep 8, 2013 2:57 PM

Aug 2012
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

Haruhi has run it's course IMO, I would appreciate another movie (since disappearance was done so very well) but not another TV series.

I hear ya, it is a drag. But you can't deny that it serves a purpose, it's one reason why the movie is so great.

Okay well fan-made youtube videos (that you certainly don't have to watch) isn't a very good reason to scream NO MORE HARUHI.

Considering you agree the movie was great, I'm puzzled as to how you can say it's run its course. I mean yeah it's been three years so the Haruhi name is getting less and less relevant, but the movie also opens up future possibilities and progresses the plot and character relationships in an very interesting way.
Sep 8, 2013 3:00 PM

Apr 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

I hear ya, it is a drag. But you can't deny that it serves a purpose, it's one reason why the movie is so great.

Okay well fan-made youtube videos (that you certainly don't have to watch) isn't a very good reason to scream NO MORE HARUHI.

Considering you agree the movie was great, I'm puzzled as to how you can say it's run its course. I mean yeah it's been three years so the Haruhi name is getting less and less relevant, but the movie also opens up future possibilities and progresses the plot and character relationships in an very interesting way.

I'll kill you , you made me want to re-watch the movie......
*manly tears*
Dat Haruhi at the ending of the movie , dat scene where Kyon played a little with her hair . <3
Sep 8, 2013 3:00 PM
Aug 2013
FluffyFlesh said:
AlexTheRiot said:
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

*manly tears*
Dat Haruhi at the ending of the movie , dat scene where Kyon played a little with her hair . <3

That was awesome!
Sep 8, 2013 3:04 PM

Jul 2013
JustALEX said:
Reciprocal said:

I'm not sure anymore if you're trolling or not, but I'll respond as if you aren't.

KyoAni might not have shared the same sentiment because they didn't want to admit they created something insanely stupid by showing 8 episodes that are exactly the same.

The whole point of "Endless 8" is that an infinity sign looks like an eight....there was absolutely NO NEED to actually do 8 episodes, that's fucking retarded.

And yeah, maybe there were some fans that liked seeing the same thing 8 times in a row, the overwhelming majority DID NOT.

Well, I'm not trolling. I just want to point out that you make assumptions that aren't necessarily true about what KyoAni thinks about E8.

And you seem to have forgotten about opinions. You may think it's retarded, others may not. It doesn't matter to me whether the majority liked it or not, that's not what I'm discussing here.
Sep 8, 2013 3:09 PM

Aug 2012
FluffyFlesh said:
AlexTheRiot said:
JustALEX said:
AlexTheRiot said:

*manly tears*

We're even, since I stare like an idiot at Kurisu flapping her arms every time I see one of your posts.
Sep 8, 2013 3:11 PM

Jun 2008
Reciprocal said:
Well, I'm not trolling. I just want to point out that you make assumptions that aren't necessarily true about what KyoAni thinks about E8.

And you seem to have forgotten about opinions. You may think it's retarded, others may not. It doesn't matter to me whether the majority liked it or not, that's not what I'm discussing here.

My assumption is NOT based on what Kyoani thinks, it's based on fan perceptions and sales numbers.

Both were bad.

While you may not agree with the majority, it is usually them that companies pander to.

After all, a company is there to make money, and the best way to make money is to make something the majority will like/buy.

Now, like I said, I liked the movie, I thought it was well done, maybe they could do another one.

However, from what I hear, the LNs go downhill after Disappearance, I'm not sure since I don't read them, but I personally feel no need for more Haruhi, especially after the way they handled "season 2".
Sep 8, 2013 3:22 PM

Apr 2012
JustALEX said:
My assumption is NOT based on what Kyoani thinks, it's based on fan perceptions and sales numbers.

Both were bad.
It is true that Haruhi season 2 sold drastically less than the first, but the second season still sold very well (note that anything above 10,000 average discs sold is generally considered a huge success).

Season 1: 41,037
Season 2: 19,064

I presume the huge drop is perhaps due to people not buying as many of the "repeat" episodes, but those are still great numbers.

Besides, I marathoned Endless Eight and didn't find it nearly as annoying as some people put it. In fact, because I knew it would be repeating, it gave me a chance to look for smaller details in animation, etc.

Sep 8, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2012
AndyRayy said:
JustALEX said:

Both were bad.
It is true that Haruhi season 2 sold drastically less than the first, but the second season still sold very well (note that anything above 10,000 average discs sold is generally considered a huge success).

I presume the huge drop is perhaps due to people not buying as many of the "repeat" episodes, but those are still great numbers.

Besides, I marathoned Endless Eight and didn't find it nearly as annoying as some people put it. In fact, because I knew it would be repeating, it gave me a chance to look for smaller details in animation, etc.

I thought it was the most horrible thing to happen to me in my anime watching experience, unfortunately back then I was at my beginnings and I still had the dumb mindset to not drop shows Ive started and even got quite far in. Many horrible shows later thankfully Ive learned to not give a shit and drop the damn things.
Sep 8, 2013 3:28 PM
Aug 2013
I say "yea".
From what I've heard, the LN's after the season ended, including the movie's adapted volumes, were of better quality than the the first two season's adapted volumes.
Sep 8, 2013 3:28 PM

Jul 2013
JustALEX said:
Reciprocal said:

Both were bad.

While you may not agree with the majority, it is usually them that companies pander to.

After all, a company is there to make money, and the best way to make money is to make something the majority will like/buy.

Now, like I said, I liked the movie, I thought it was well done, maybe they could do another one.

However, from what I hear, the LNs go downhill after Disappearance, I'm not sure since I don't read them, but I personally feel no need for more Haruhi, especially after the way they handled "season 2".

Yes, I know, anime companies such as KyoAni of course strives to please the audience more than anything else. I'm not denying this. I was only commenting about how they felt about the second season, not about how bad it was for them to make more money. Here you can only blame the source material(if you're unhappy about it), as Tallon said, but I haven't read it either. I can't say anymore without having read that part of the LN, but I can imagine it feeling different, as in, it was executed differently.
Sep 8, 2013 3:29 PM

Feb 2013
Yes.

"And if, there were so many people in the world, there had to be someone living an interesting life that wasn't ordinary. I was sure of it. Why wasn't that person me?"
- The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Part V
[/center]
Sep 8, 2013 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
baki502 said:
AndyRayy said:
JustALEX said:

Both were bad.

I thought it was the most horrible thing to happen to me in my anime watching experience, unfortunately back then I was at my beginnings and I still had the dumb mindset to not drop shows Ive started and even got quite far in. Many horrible shows later thankfully Ive learned to not give a shit and drop the damn things.

You make it sound like that's the best way, but I try to never drop shows.
Sep 8, 2013 4:12 PM

Jun 2008
AndyRayy said:
JustALEX said:

Both were bad.

Personally, my opinion for those numbers is that people bought Season 2 out of loyalty and strong fandom to Haruhi....and lets face it, Otaku will buy anything as long as they like the brand/characters....and back then Haruhi was one of the most popular anime series in Japan.

The fact of the matter is that when Haruhi season 2 came out, it was easily the most hyped up and anticipated anime that year and with the HUGE success that season 1 had, you would think they would've sold just as much if not MORE.....IF Kyoani had not butchered it the way they did over endless eight.
Sep 8, 2013 4:19 PM

Apr 2013
JustALEX said:
AndyRayy said:
JustALEX said:

Both were bad.

Personally, my opinion for those numbers is that people bought Season 2 out of loyalty and strong fandom to Haruhi....and lets face it, Otaku will buy anything as long as they like the brand/characters....and back then Haruhi was one of the most popular anime series in Japan.

The fact of the matter is that when Haruhi season 2 came out, it was easily the most hyped up and anticipated anime that year and with the HUGE success that season 1 had, you would think they would've sold just as much if not MORE.....IF Kyoani had not butchered it the way they did over endless eight.

Well , when you have only 6 out 14 new episodes you can understand the drop , ignoring the endless either just 6 out 14 is .....ok 7 because episode 9 brought the exit of endless 8.
Sep 8, 2013 4:22 PM

May 2013
No.
I'm good with no more Haruhi.
“Victor can’t be satisfied by anyone but me.”

Sep 8, 2013 4:28 PM
Jul 2018
Considering everyone hated the second season and it still managed to sell better than most anime titles, I don't think financial concerns are the reason a third season doesn't get made. After all, the movie came out not too long after and that sold amazingly well.

So why isn't a third season getting made? Well, the author of the light novels is one ( He threw a huge massive hissy fit for reasons I can't remember and deliberately withheld the publication of some of the follow-up volumes and that caused his popularity to go down.) Another big reason is that KyoAni is more interested in other projects. And the last big reason is likely to do with the current status of Hirano Aya (That big sex scandal)
Sep 8, 2013 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
We don't really need more Haruhi tbfh...

Let people do what they want to do, most of the times the fans never get what they want anyways.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Sep 8, 2013 5:26 PM

Nov 2008
JustALEX said:
TallonKarrde23 said:
JustALEX said:

3 episodes is all they needed.

The first one, the second one where everything happens exactly and kyon realizes it....and the third one to wrap it up.

They didn't literally need 8 episodes, how in the hell did Kyoani or ANYONE would think that was a good idea I will never know.

Dude. At least you only have to watch repeated episodes 8 times.

Nagato, on the other hand.................... xDD

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Sep 8, 2013 9:41 PM

Jan 2013
don't give 3 shits about hirano, I want more Wendee Lee!
Sep 8, 2013 11:08 PM

Feb 2010
No need for another season or movie. There's already a spinoff every season.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Sep 10, 2009

292 by Generose »»
Apr 12, 11:11 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

CinemaZebra - Aug 5, 2009

535 by Unoriginality »»
Apr 11, 9:07 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kappaka - May 21, 2009

449 by Ryan_the_Bread »»
Mar 30, 1:13 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Fabrice - Jul 30, 2009

276 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:45 AM

Poll: » The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya 2 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

game8910 - Jul 23, 2009

360 by Alkimia »»
Feb 28, 11:27 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.