Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Jul 16, 2012 6:47 AM
Mar 2008
Boring and really generic chara and mecha design.
Dropped.
Jul 16, 2012 7:15 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
I just figured out what has been bugging me (from my post at the top of this forum the other day).

It looks to me that BETA don't use mecha. So, why are the humans training by having mecha fight mecha?

Okay, I'll be willing to accept that what we saw in this episode was a special one time event to allow the top gun pilots to get to know each other, but even in the first episode the Japanese mecha pilots almost only trained against other mecha pilots. The closest they seemed to have gotten to BETA was some popup targets.
Jul 16, 2012 7:55 AM

Oct 2010
Cratex said:
I just figured out what has been bugging me (from my post at the top of this forum the other day).

It looks to me that BETA don't use mecha. So, why are the humans training by having mecha fight mecha?

Okay, I'll be willing to accept that what we saw in this episode was a special one time event to allow the top gun pilots to get to know each other, but even in the first episode the Japanese mecha pilots almost only trained against other mecha pilots. The closest they seemed to have gotten to BETA was some popup targets.
That's because to fight live BETAs would be too dangerous so they do this as a alternative to practice.

I think there is progress in the year of this episode because the simulations seem to be better and before they looked crappier.

That being said it's the only thing I can think of. The only way to get LIVE exp is to attack random groups of BETAs at the risk of your life. Which is another factor they do it between themselves instead looking for BETAs to fight.

I still say the suits are one of the most sexiest. Even for a female audience they cannot deny the abs of the guys showing rather nicely in suits. The girls have it really nice from my post of the top in the suits. Think of of as a thin film on their naked bodies. Basically that. Of course just a IMO TBH.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 16, 2012 8:27 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
That's because to fight live BETAs would be too dangerous so they do this as a alternative to practice.
Hm? Who said anything about fighting live BETA? If they've got the tech and resources to build those mecha, surely they've got the techa and resources to build reasonable mockups of a BETA attack.

A VERY good example is the US OPFOR. This force was dedicated to train US units and used actual Soviet doctrine with acquired or simulated Soviet equipment. (From what I've read, they had a very good win/loss track record, to boot.)

As always, take the Wiki with a grain of salt, but it is always a good place to start:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposing_force

Training to fight other mecha, using HUMAN tactics, seems to me basically a waste of precious time.
Jul 16, 2012 8:32 AM
Apr 2012
It's either simulator or mock battles vs humans. Aint no fucking BETA in Yukon, anyway.

As for Cryska/Inia...
Jul 16, 2012 8:40 AM

Nov 2010
Cratex said:

For anti BETA training, they use simulators for most of the time. Mock fight is the best non-simulator training that people can achieve (since there's no way to create something that resembles BETA or taming some of them), and actually it can be modified to approach tactical situations against BETA.

For those who are disappointed with lack of BETA, Muv Luv universe is always like this. In the original trilogy, people go through 40-50 hours WITHOUT seeing any real visuals of BETA at all, even in the opening or even a single picture. Total Eclipse is an exception since that kind of storytelling liberty can't be achieved in TV shows, they just have no other option to tease the viewers.

In the original trilogy, there are only few/several battles with BETA during a 80-100 hours gameplay (most of them are really long and disastrous, though).

Most of the Muv Luv are actually about human drama (not about continuous mecha action), especially since those encounters with BETA are intended to be rare, but have a very great impact (both to the main character and viewers). I expect Total Eclipse to approach similar method of storytelling.

Although it may be a bad idea for weekly series, since Muv Luv storyline also has a tendency to drop subtle foreshadow/unexplained things that will only be explained in a far future. Not very suitable for TV audiences that relatively has much less patience than readers.

Also, OOT, going through several events in MLA grants me an ability to detect death flags. For some reason in Total Eclipse I unconsciously scan for those flags too, lol.
Jul 16, 2012 8:52 AM

Jun 2009
Yuuya's got some attitude problems, he gets on my nerves all the time. I would like to see likeable womanizer like VG being the male lead for once, but with his character i can already see him dying in few episodes.

Oh well, waiting for more Cryska, Inia and giant oppai Stella.
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jul 16, 2012 9:11 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
zeroyuki92 said:
For anti BETA training, they use simulators for most of the time. Mock fight is the best non-simulator training that people can achieve (since there's no way to create something that resembles BETA or taming some of them), and actually it can be modified to approach tactical situations against BETA.

All well and good if you read the manga/play the games, I suppose.

It's not that I'm disappointed with the 'lack' of BETA. But, since I'm not going to run out to play the games or read the mangas, it looks like I'm going to spend a lot of my time scratching my head each episode over details that keep getting posted in these forums that are lacking in the episodes, so I guess I'll cut my losses now.
Jul 16, 2012 9:23 AM

Oct 2010
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Hm? Who said anything about fighting live BETA? If they've got the tech and resources to build those mecha, surely they've got the techa and resources to build reasonable mockups of a BETA attack.

A VERY good example is the US OPFOR. This force was dedicated to train US units and used actual Soviet doctrine with acquired or simulated Soviet equipment. (From what I've read, they had a very good win/loss track record, to boot.)

As always, take the Wiki with a grain of salt, but it is always a good place to start:

Training to fight other mecha, using HUMAN tactics, seems to me basically a waste of precious time.
Yeah I agree but resources might be limited so they are not wasting it and besides that, what the person above answered you. That too comes into consideration.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 16, 2012 9:33 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
Yumekichi11 said:
Yeah I agree but resources might be limited so they are not wasting it and besides that, what the person above answered you. That too comes into consideration.

(shrug) I'll take your word for it regarding the missing pieces from the source material, but based on what I see in the anime alone it just seems to be missing something important. If you spend your time training against opponents acting like humans then the only thing you will be good at fighting is humans.

Whatever, I'm tuning out. Thanks for listening to my argument :)
Jul 16, 2012 10:10 AM

Nov 2010
Cratex said:

(shrug) I'll take your word for it regarding the missing pieces from the source material, but based on what I see in the anime alone it just seems to be missing something important. If you spend your time training against opponents acting like humans then the only thing you will be good at fighting is humans.

Whatever, I'm tuning out. Thanks for listening to my argument :)

As I said before, there are many thing that MAY be explained later in the future, it's only the FIRST real episode of the anime, afterall (at least I'm certain that they will cover simulations, since it's a really basic daily thing). True, it may be a failure of a storytelling if watchers just keep asking questions, but with limited 30 minutes of animation and considering that Muv Luv universe has a gigantic setting, I think it's status of "hard to be animated" is already given from the beginning.

Also, consider my previous issue of "tendency to drop things without explanation until far future in the story" and again, the fact that this is the first real episode.

Well, I guess it's already a common thing that Novel/Light Novel >>>> Anime/Movie adaptation in terms of details, so it's not a brand new problems. Same thing happened with this season's SAO, for example... And Muv Luv has a much richer settings so expect this issue will be keep arising in the future. Not that you can't enjoy them without knowing all of the details, though. Also, there's always an option to read the original materials if you really think that you're at loss.
Jul 16, 2012 11:10 AM

Jun 2008
Decent new character introduction episode, nothing too exciting but kind of expected after the last episode.
Kind of disappointed seeing those white hair girls. They are too clishe into the anime gender. The usual child sweet girl that is actually a phycho can be amusing but it takes away some of the relatively realistic atmosphere and making the show seem more childish.

sbg711 said:
So far feels below generic. Dunno why everyone's hyping up this series so much.

Below generic no, this episode was a little generic though. Why would people be hyped up about this? Quite simple. When all the other animes are school harem anime or just about being moe even a slightly generic show with conflicts and drama feels like a damn oasis. All i know is that from the new season i feel more eager waiting for this that any of the others.
Jul 16, 2012 12:59 PM

Dec 2008
maxie said:
I'm afraid TE will disappoint you. I recommend playing the VN.

Indeed, I had the intention to play the VN from what i had heard of it but figured the anime could be a good watch before I get to it (since it's been 2 years and I still haven't bothered 1:). If I ended up incorrect about what to expect with TE, I'll just end up dropping anyway, but if they resolve the issues I have with it fast it could still end up enjoyable.

I'm expecting a fantasy/alternate reality(instead of futuristic, since this is in the past year-wise)/psychological/brutal anime, but ep 3 showed me that it might be more about depicting real human traits and behaviors and how they'll develop into understanding & accepting each other. Or the writer did a great job at mimicing humanity's typical scenarios surrounding ethnic groups and competitive feelings (military are supposed to be a bit competitive at least, for the sake of even better self-progress imo), but yeah I'd rather enjoy some Nietzsche/etc instead of seeing this in an anime where I just wanted to see some BETA scenes without such typical/cliched character developments <: So I'm not saying this is bad for everyone, but for others including myself, this might just end up not being what we had hoped for overall. Time will tell anyway so np, it's not like I was hoping this to become a favorite either.
HakoriaJul 16, 2012 1:02 PM
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jul 16, 2012 1:04 PM

Jul 2010
Top Gun, Macaroni, Hobbit and Venus eh?

This episode was really different from the first two episodes. It looks like the first two were only there to shape Yui's traumatic past.

Inia and Cryska were pretty interesting as well. Why did the go so far as to letting "Hobbit" crash? I wonder what their story is.

Jul 16, 2012 1:14 PM

Mar 2008
this was pretty much crap in my eyes.
around 5 mins were woth it for intro of the characters and "giving nicknames"... rest... well... felt like filler to me.

I already want to strangle Tarisa (I think that's what her name was) and it's only the 3rd episode....really great.....
Jul 16, 2012 1:48 PM

Aug 2008
At least better than massacre mayhem, I guess.
Still not good enough, but it gets more interesting crew.

Yui will need to teach Top Gun some lessons, or her words will be thrown down the toilet.
Jul 16, 2012 2:29 PM
Apr 2012
Hakoria said:
maxie said:
I'm afraid TE will disappoint you. I recommend playing the VN.

Indeed, I had the intention to play the VN from what i had heard of it but figured the anime could be a good watch before I get to it (since it's been 2 years and I still haven't bothered 1:). If I ended up incorrect about what to expect with TE, I'll just end up dropping anyway, but if they resolve the issues I have with it fast it could still end up enjoyable.

I'm expecting a fantasy/alternate reality(instead of futuristic, since this is in the past year-wise)/psychological/brutal anime, but ep 3 showed me that it might be more about depicting real human traits and behaviors and how they'll develop into understanding & accepting each other. Or the writer did a great job at mimicing humanity's typical scenarios surrounding ethnic groups and competitive feelings (military are supposed to be a bit competitive at least, for the sake of even better self-progress imo), but yeah I'd rather enjoy some Nietzsche/etc instead of seeing this in an anime where I just wanted to see some BETA scenes without such typical/cliched character developments <: So I'm not saying this is bad for everyone, but for others including myself, this might just end up not being what we had hoped for overall. Time will tell anyway so np, it's not like I was hoping this to become a favorite either.

Well if you want BETA, the VN is there for you ^^
Jul 16, 2012 4:08 PM
Dec 2009
Though the animation is shitty I enjoy the anime.
Nice episode, love the new characters.
Jul 16, 2012 6:02 PM

Aug 2010
Yuuya is a good pilot and so is everyone else they selected, but their personalities don't mingle very well right now.
Jul 16, 2012 6:08 PM

Nov 2007
well uh the whole cast changed, and such. not as interesting as last ep.

the new guy is okay, but the bitchy loli is going to get old fast. talk about a walking stereotype. what's with the girl from the last eps? was she there at the end?
Jul 16, 2012 6:14 PM

Jul 2009
mystik said:
well uh the whole cast changed, and such. not as interesting as last ep.

the new guy is okay, but the bitchy loli is going to get old fast. talk about a walking stereotype. what's with the girl from the last eps? was she there at the end?

Japanese doll? Yeah she's there
Jul 16, 2012 7:27 PM

Jul 2009
Japanese Doll, huh. That's hilarious.
I have a feeling I'm not even going to bother remembering their names now, and just remember their nicknames, LOL!
Jul 16, 2012 9:30 PM

Oct 2008
Characters... are... so... boring...
Must avoid sleep...in..g...
Jul 16, 2012 9:36 PM

May 2011
I can definitely say I like this over the previous two episodes. Mostly because I have at least some interest in the characters now. Although I assume the two I like best so far will die off, as ones I become fans of tend to do. :P The lighter sparing also was more enjoyable to me over watching character I can't even named getting slaughtered.

I want the bg song that was playing while they had their mock battle, any ideas as to what it is called/who sings it?
Jul 16, 2012 10:49 PM

Jul 2011
Enjoyed this episode, if this anime is going to be 2-cour then you can't expect 24 or so eps of them fighting the BETA. Top Gun made a good first impression. To many male mecha leads are either whiny preachy bitches (yes i'm looking at you Kira Yamato) or a little too stoic so this was a nice refreshing change. Also the other characters had likeable personalities and they seem to work well as a squad but a huge death flag seemed to be raised over Macaroni and Venus.

As for the animation, there was a slight drop in quality but when it has been mediocre from the start, it wasn't a big deal.
Jul 16, 2012 10:57 PM

Jun 2009
I was pretty meh on this since I thought we cleared the "intro" phase. Plus it needed more Yui ^^;;
Jul 16, 2012 11:34 PM

Apr 2011
Am I missing something here? In three years this faggot ass bitch here:

Becomes instantaneously hostile with our Americana here:

????
The fuck is her problem? Loved his reaction tho. It was like screaming "You want to start something Japanese punk ass bitch? We kicked your ass in WWII and I sure as hell don't have a problem with spanking it now."
"Ogon’ po gotovnosti!"
Jul 17, 2012 2:13 AM

Apr 2010
BULLDOG266 said:

????
The fuck is her problem? Loved his reaction tho. It was like screaming "You want to start something Japanese punk ass bitch? We kicked your ass in WWII and I sure as hell don't have a problem with spanking it now."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtNHuqHWefU
Jul 17, 2012 2:51 AM

Jun 2008
antonn said:
BULLDOG266 said:

????

Antonn you are my hero.
Jul 17, 2012 3:08 AM

Dec 2009
I don't either the series will follow the game plot exactly or not but I'm currently waiting for the story to grow more.

As for Yuuya, he is an excellent pilot but have a bad attitude due to his background being half American and half Japanese. Basically, each characters had their own tragic past.

Well... I'd probably wait for the story to further develop. Kinda sad they didn't make Muv-Luv into an animation. Love to see Shirogane Takeru kicking asses.
Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains must be the truth.

I Like My Woman Strong, Flat-Chested, Tall, Slender and Scarred

Yuri & Yaoi Hater

dA: http://flame13th.deviantart.com
Blog: http://flame13th.blogspot.com
Jul 17, 2012 4:47 AM
Apr 2012
flame13th said:
I don't either the series will follow the game plot exactly or not but I'm currently waiting for the story to grow more.

As for Yuuya, he is an excellent pilot but have a bad attitude due to his background being half American and half Japanese. Basically, each characters had their own tragic past.

Well... I'd probably wait for the story to further develop. Kinda sad they didn't make Muv-Luv into an animation. Love to see Shirogane Takeru kicking asses.

Personally I don't have any real interest in seeing the main trilogy animated. Why? Because:

A: I've already read it
B: It's doomed to have terrible pacing, if we only needed to make MLA into an anime, sure, but what about Extra and Unlimited? Think Extra will interest mecha fans? Besides, I never really liked Extra, it was pretty bad. Unlimited was decent, Alternative is fucking amazing. Lol.
Jul 17, 2012 6:44 AM

Apr 2010
What makes me wonder is how they find a abandoned city in Alaska while the entire Eurasia continent is lost to the Beta.
This suggests that a very large part of Humanity is already death since there are allot of people on that continent.
It also seems to Beta went for strong and united forces first since they went for Eurasia first which consists of Russia China and the European Union.
Yet they didn't went for Africa which would have been a easier target considering there isn't much union there it's basically every country for himself.
So if you look at it from that point the next target of the Beta would be the United States.
Jul 17, 2012 7:07 AM

Mar 2010
This episode wasn't even half as good and the prevous 2. Actually, it was pretty awful. We went from an actiony battleground on a nearly destroyed Earth to cliche characters playing paintball with giant mechas. WTF? Can someone tell me who is REALLY the lead? This anime doesn't seem to know it. First 2 episodes was Yui clearly the lead while now it seems like that Bridges boy is. I also have a problem with the setting. It's clearly few years on the future on Earth. What sounds crazy since BETAs moved at an insane speed. How the hell did they conquer only Eurasia? Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't. And Africa would be easy to conquer. Are they driking tea in England or something? So far I can see only plot holes and awful characters (at least they have interesting design) in the main story. The overdone fanservice doesn't really help it either. While the first 2 episodes it was very close to me rating it 10, now it's even closer to me dropping it. Please, someone tell me it will get better (and the main cast of the ep will get killed off).
Jul 17, 2012 8:32 AM

Nov 2011
Cratex said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Average survival time against BETA is 8 minutes. Anything better than that, then you are an Ace. You expect to train against that? Ep 2 shows that BETA Armor capable of deflecting 360mm bullet, size of small destroyer cannon. I admit that training against human seems a little pointless, but what you train in here is not combat capability, its survivability and escape tactics.

I'm not playing the VN but I think this is a story how humans fight and defies nearly certain extinction (I LIKE IT)
Jul 17, 2012 8:37 AM

Nov 2011
HikaruIzumi said:
This episode wasn't even half as good and the prevous 2. Actually, it was pretty awful. We went from an actiony battleground on a nearly destroyed Earth to cliche characters playing paintball with giant mechas. WTF? Can someone tell me who is REALLY the lead? This anime doesn't seem to know it. First 2 episodes was Yui clearly the lead while now it seems like that Bridges boy is. I also have a problem with the setting. It's clearly few years on the future on Earth. What sounds crazy since BETAs moved at an insane speed. How the hell did they conquer only Eurasia? Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't. And Africa would be easy to conquer. Are they driking tea in England or something? So far I can see only plot holes and awful characters (at least they have interesting design) in the main story. The overdone fanservice doesn't really help it either. While the first 2 episodes it was very close to me rating it 10, now it's even closer to me dropping it. Please, someone tell me it will get better (and the main cast of the ep will get killed off).

Its not in the future, in fact it is in alternate 20th century. TSF names derive from existing planes (Tornado, Jian-10, Raptor, Tomcat, not sure about Type-94). Thats why all existing TSF use live ammunition and catridge system. Even I don't get how Gundams replenish ammunition and missiles, they seems endless. At least Muv-Luv shows that.
Jul 17, 2012 9:11 AM

Mar 2010
hnryirawan said:

Its not in the future, in fact it is in alternate 20th century. TSF names derive from existing planes (Tornado, Jian-10, Raptor, Tomcat, not sure about Type-94). Thats why all existing TSF use live ammunition and catridge system. Even I don't get how Gundams replenish ammunition and missiles, they seems endless. At least Muv-Luv shows that.

No, I meant it compared to the first 2 episodes. It's few/several years (judging by how old Yui is now) later yet we are left at the same point of war as we were at the end of the 2nd episode (Eurasia conquered).
Jul 17, 2012 9:12 AM
Apr 2012
hnryirawan said:
HikaruIzumi said:

Japanese TSF names are made up since they don't have any real life counterparts.

That said, I too wonder why Africa hasn't gotten fucked by the BETA yet when Europe has, lol.

As for America, well, except for the part where it's sort of connected to Russia, all that ocean probably does a pretty good job at keeping BETA away, those bastards go along the ocean floor but they're probably not too keen on crossing the Atlantic.

HikaruIzumi said:
hnryirawan said:

No, I meant it compared to the first 2 episodes. It's few/several years (judging by how old Yui is now) later yet we are left at the same point of war as we were at the end of the 2nd episode (Eurasia conquered).

The war with BETA has been going on for like 30+ years already, 3 years isn't that much in comparison, I guess.
Jul 17, 2012 9:16 AM

Nov 2011
Well it was expected this ep wasnt going to be as good as the other two after seeing the time jump in the last ep, the protagonist suddenly didnt even look like a protagonist anymore in this ep but just a normal side character. Atleast they developed a proper OP video

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Jul 17, 2012 9:21 AM
Jul 2012
HikaruIzumi said:
Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't.

Just registered to point out how little you obviously know. Taking IRL technology into account, US military tech is so far ahead of the rest of the world, it almost hurts. If anyone is going to stop anyone, taking IRL technology into account, it's the USA.

maxie said:

That said, I too wonder why Africa hasn't gotten fucked by the BETA yet when Europe has, lol.

They're being held at the Suez Canal by African and Eastern European remnants. Much like how things are being held in Japan.

Same applies to the UK. Western Europeans, US reinforcements and the like are holding the BETA at the Channel.
Jul 17, 2012 9:26 AM
Apr 2012
Zee530 said:
Well it was expected this ep wasnt going to be as good as the other two after seeing the time jump in the last ep, the protagonist suddenly didnt even look like a protagonist anymore in this ep but just a normal side character. Atleast they developed a proper OP video

Well I guess it's a bit weird since she isn't *the* protag, just one of the more important side characters. First two episodes aren't really there for her backstory, but rather to introduce the world setting.

LordofHomo said:
HikaruIzumi said:
Taking IRL technology into account, there's no way USA would stop them if Japan couldn't.

Just registered to point out how little you obviously know. Taking IRL technology into account, US military tech is so far ahead of the rest of the world, it almost hurts. If anyone is going to stop anyone, taking IRL technology into account, it's the USA.

maxie said:

They're being held at the Suez Canal by African and Eastern European remnants. Much like how things are being held in Japan.

Same applies to the UK. Western Europeans, US reinforcements and the like are holding the BETA at the Channel.

Water always seems to help against BETA, lol. Anyone else sad to see that their own country got completely screwed by BETA? Sweden ):
Jul 17, 2012 10:13 AM

Sep 2007
maxie said:
Personally I don't have any real interest in seeing the main trilogy animated. Why? Because:

A: I've already read it
B: It's doomed to have terrible pacing, if we only needed to make MLA into an anime, sure, but what about Extra and Unlimited? Think Extra will interest mecha fans? Besides, I never really liked Extra, it was pretty bad. Unlimited was decent, Alternative is fucking amazing.

I kind of fall in with your line of thought here, especially B. Extra/Unlimited/Alternative are already fully available and translated, the limited movement available in a VN engine has its own charm; and Alternative especially starts off full of little jokes and plays on the way Takeru is 'replaying' events, which is a kind of videogame-focused thing which would be lost in an anime.
Jul 17, 2012 10:16 AM

Dec 2008
maxie said:
Water always seems to help against BETA, lol. Anyone else sad to see that their own country got completely screwed by BETA? Sweden ):

Luxembourg, Belgium and France: not surprised though <:
「Godspeed You! Black Emperor」
Jul 17, 2012 11:01 AM

Jun 2008
Hakoria said:
maxie said:

It's kind of funny how the BETA conquered all Europe and Asia but didn't even set foot on Africa.
Europe is full of nations with decent defense armaments and Asia even has strong army nations like Russia and China and yet the BETA conquered all that while Africa that is full of half-ass nations in terms of army power was left alone. Why is that? Are the BETA focusing on opponents they know are dangerous? Then their next target i guess should be the US.
Also Britain getting away with it seems strange. Normally i would have assumed that the sea provided a certain defense for the British like it did in WWII but the BETA hardly seem to be affected about the sea when they invaded Japan.
Jul 17, 2012 11:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Very different episode from the previous two. Some other series would have chosen to include these as a flashback in the middle of the series but this works too. The characters were pretty generic but o.k. The combat scenes were great but I didn't like the music.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 17, 2012 1:37 PM

Dec 2008
Sudden change in pace and quality of story, still nice to have a decent OP.
Jul 17, 2012 2:13 PM

May 2008
antonn said:
BULLDOG266 said:

????

This just made my day
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Jul 17, 2012 2:25 PM

May 2008
Also to everyone questioning the BETA's tactics part of the issue is that the BETA have not seemed to use war strategies or tactics just yet. They just kind of charge somewhere. The BETA came to earth via large pillars that slammed into the ground. They create a large network of tunnels that extend from the center(the pillar). But they do not stray too far from the center of the Hive. There are no hives currently in Africa so they have not attacked it. There are also none in America. (Although I believe there was one but they nuked it if I remember correctly)
kyubey is watching you (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ ) (‿‿ )
Jul 17, 2012 8:08 PM

Apr 2010
Not really sure who to quote. But the reason why the US is fine is because when the BETA landed on Earth, they landed in Canada & the US nuked(literally, A-bombs) them as they landed.
Jul 17, 2012 9:34 PM

Jan 2011
well guess the first 2 episodes really were just a Ga-rei set up and this was a intro even though it was i felt like there was alot of things that left me confused so i'm gonna hold out on judging this till later,best thing this it has going for it so far are it's mech designs!
Jul 17, 2012 10:16 PM
Aug 2010
Monad said:
Hakoria said:
maxie said:

It's kind of funny how the BETA conquered all Europe and Asia but didn't even set foot on Africa.
Europe is full of nations with decent defense armaments and Asia even has strong army nations like Russia and China and yet the BETA conquered all that while Africa that is full of half-ass nations in terms of army power was left alone. Why is that? Are the BETA focusing on opponents they know are dangerous? Then their next target i guess should be the US.
Also Britain getting away with it seems strange. Normally i would have assumed that the sea provided a certain defense for the British like it did in WWII but the BETA hardly seem to be affected about the sea when they invaded Japan.

BETA avoid the ocean unless they have too in which case they are fine with going through water its just they don't if they can avoid it.
and for the rest of the world here is what is actually going on.
In europe the beta advance is stopped at the strait of Dover England by the various remaining European military forces.The most powerful being the military of Germany, UK, and France.They are also augmented by an naval US carrier fleet and its marine expedition unit. The beta did make one successful push at London but the timely arrival of German CHIVALRY the catastrophe was averted and London was saved.
Down south the beta is held in check at the suez canal by the Turkish, Israeli and the Iranians. The BETA do want Africa but the Arabs and Jews managed to put their mutual grudge aside and instead channel it into smouldering, unchecked holy hatred of the BETAs. Between that and the Suez Canal becoming God's own Absolute Defense Line, the BETA have been unable to advance into Africa. Good thing, too, because a huge amount of the raw resources feeding America's world-supplying war industry come from the Africa.
In asia its at the philipines and Taiwan the betas are halted by the USMC and china and Taiwan's surviving forces.
Up north the russians managed to hold the line just west of magadan in siberia. And the US leased half of alaska to the Russians to house their political leaders and refugees.
The USA is virtually untouched due to the US airforce nuking canada when a beta hive landed in Manitoba and Saskatchewan before the hive managed to grow any laser classes. Over 40% of canada is radio active and so is part of North Dakota and Minnesota. Alberta, Saskatchewan,Manitoba and Ontario are no longer inhabitable.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

» Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Season 2?

Allenkilla1 - Jun 11, 2013

45 by SlimShadyArgos1 »»
Dec 30, 2023 3:23 AM

» Muv Luv's Japanese critique of Americans

Jerrychiang - Aug 3, 2012

45 by 8man226 »»
Nov 9, 2023 7:32 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Yumekichi11 - Jul 1, 2012

175 by Zane_0 »»
Aug 9, 2023 10:56 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Dec 23, 2012

146 by tinitits »»
Feb 28, 2023 9:49 AM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 4, 2012

52 by SMmania123 »»
Aug 13, 2022 8:21 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.