Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 25, 2010 8:27 PM

Apr 2009
I've seen a topic with a user saying, "Avatar should be added because it's like an anime" and closed with just a reply from the moderators saying, "No, Avatar is not an anime." Even more so, similar replies from regulars first came before that. One of the FAQ answers is "Avatar is not an anime." Add reasons why Avatar is not an anime. "It's created by an American creator" or something similar.
"If you feed me, Seymour, I can grow up big and strong!"
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Oct 25, 2010 9:00 PM

Sep 2010
Animation originating from Japan is called as Anime.... (see here) As Avatar is created in US it is not an Anime.....
Oct 26, 2010 4:17 AM
Feb 10, 2011 10:50 AM

Mar 2009
Avatar is an awesome exception, they should really add it to our anime database. So we can keep track of the episodes/season. Its sad to see myanimelist loosing potential just because some series are not a japaneese animation.
Feb 10, 2011 11:53 AM

Feb 2009
Znote said:
Avatar is an awesome exception, they should really add it to our anime database. So we can keep track of the episodes/season. Its sad to see myanimelist loosing potential just because some series are not a japaneese animation.

But its called MyANIMElist, not my MyCartoonlist. D:

And when it's not an anime, then why should it be added to the database?
Feb 10, 2011 12:26 PM
Nov 2010
Znote said:

What about South Park? ...
Feb 10, 2011 12:29 PM

Feb 2008
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Powerpuff_Girls
http://myanimelist.net/anime/8795/Panty_&_Stocking_with_Garterbelt

Contrast and compare. Which one is anime, which one is not.

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
KuniiDec 8, 2020 7:05 PM
Feb 10, 2011 12:56 PM

Jul 2009
Luppi said:
Znote said:

same can be said for all the manga on the site, its called myANIMElist right? not myANIME/MANGAlist, both sides of the argument at work. im not saying it should/shouldn't be added to the DB ,just adding fuel to the fire
suprhiroFeb 10, 2011 1:07 PM
Feb 11, 2011 4:35 AM

Feb 2009
Badhiro said:
Luppi said:
Znote said:

same can be said for all the manga on the site, its called myANIMElist right? not myANIME/MANGAlist, both sides of the argument at work. im not saying it should/shouldn't be added to the DB ,just adding fuel to the fire

But manga is made in Japan, which positiones it still closer to anime, than Avatar.

Anyway kuroshiroi already answered this question.
Feb 5, 2013 6:06 AM

Dec 2012
twonline said:
Animation originating from Japan is called as Anime.... (see here) As Avatar is created in US it is not an Anime.....

This.

Feb 15, 2013 11:55 PM
Jan 2013
Question: If Anime can only be made in Japan, does that mean that if a group of Japanese become expatriates, and create a show in a different country (say, America), that it is no longer anime?

Question: If Anime can only be made by the Japanese, does that mean that Americans or Russians who have moved to and adjusted to Japan should not take part in the production process or become Mangakas?

Is this the best way to define an art form?

If it's MAL's policy to define anime as only that which is made in a certain geographical location, then I accept it. I think it's a fair question to ask, however, and we should not insult people who disagree with us (@kuroshiroi).
rogerwilcoFeb 16, 2013 12:04 AM
Feb 16, 2013 12:03 AM

Jun 2007
rogerwilco said:
Question: If Anime can only be made in Japan, does that mean that if a group of Japanese people become expatriates, and animate a show in a different country (say, America), that it is no longer anime?

Question: If Anime can only be made by the Japanese, does that mean that a Americans or Russians who have become expatriates in Japan should not take part in the production process, or become Mangakas,for that matter?

Is this the best way to define an art form?

If it's MAL's policy to define anime as only that which is made in a certain geographical location....then I understand and can accept it. It is an easy way to make the rules, even if a weak definition of an art form.

I do not think, however, that we should insult people who disagree.

It's the definition that modern global society uses for the term in the context of this site. It's short for Japanese Animation, which was then shortened to Japanime/Japanimation which sounded dumb - so it was shortened to just "anime".

If you want to argue the global use of the term, you'll want to take that up with someone other than a fansite like MAL.

As for your questions;
If Anime can only be made in Japan, does that mean that if a group of Japanese people become expatriates, and animate a show in a different country (say, America), that it is no longer anime?

You answered your own question here. A different country is not "in Japan".

As for question two, "taking part in production processes" of anime is not truly "making" the anime. It's working on it. Plenty of anime has work done on it outside of Japan. Just like how an American made car might use parts made in China. It's still an American vehicle.
Feb 16, 2013 12:10 AM
Jan 2013
Well, TallonKarrde23, I respect your opinion, but I still don't think it's a closed case :)

By your definition, a group of 100% expatriates living in Japan could come up with, story board, and animate a show while living in Japan, and it would still be called anime (even if the style was totally, totally different...like King of the Hill).

I guess that's fair...it's just not a great definition for art. We may sometimes define art by a geographical location for convenience, but it's usually the culture and style that really defines it.

But...this is splitting hairs. Enough for me on this topic :)
rogerwilcoFeb 16, 2013 12:13 AM
Feb 16, 2013 4:57 AM
Feb 2013
How would that work for, Kagaku Ninjatai Gatchaman because it is amine so the other version would be amine such at Battle of the planets because that was English (GB) version and G-force was English (US)
so in using the same theory
Gatchaman = yes
Battle of the plants = no
G-force = no

Ōban Star-Racers
French / japan anime would that be a yes or no

there are loads of animations studio that are in "manga style" that are not from japan
i cant believe going to say this Powerpuff Girls Z (yes i said power puff girls) is the japanese rip of the Powerpuff Girls which was the American animation

As long as it has the same sort style of the japanese "Manga" then i think it should be allowed on the anime listed no matter what country it comes from !!!!!!!
Feb 16, 2013 5:02 AM

Apr 2011
hmm, I think it's not an anime b'cause it's not created in Japan...
Feb 16, 2013 5:27 AM
Feb 2013
and what about the Thundercats
The 1985 ok is made by America the animation very American no hint of Japaneses anime but
the 2011 version is join product from america and japan which is a lot of original Japanese animation artist in japan so what thundercats 2011 be on the amine list as well cause it made in japan but own america ????

and again Choujin Densetsu-hen. japanese version of the Ninja turtles orginal american
Feb 17, 2013 8:43 AM

Nov 2010
cyborgt100 said:
As long as it has the same sort style of the japanese "Manga" then i think it should be allowed on the anime listed no matter what country it comes from !!!!!!!
You already said it, anime has tons of styles, there is no set style, they draw what they want the same as every other country. So what is this anime style that you say that if they fit then they should be in the site?

cyborgt100 said:
there are loads of animations studio that are in "manga style" that are not from japan
i cant believe going to say this Powerpuff Girls Z (yes i said power puff girls) is the japanese rip of the Powerpuff Girls which was the American animation
Power puff girls isn't in a "manga style" so I don't know why you mentioned it. Powerpuff Girls Z was made in Japan so it's considered anime, while what it was based off of wasn't. There are anime based off of other country's books, should Shakespear be considered "manga style" since a couple of anime focus on it?

quote=cyborgt100 said:
Ōban Star-Racers
French / japan anime would that be a yes or no
It's already on this site, it must have fit the guidelines.

And like how it's been discussed alot, this is a confusing subject. You can just read the site's anime database guidelines to see what they willl allow on here, there is no leeway, they will not add an anime that does not fit the guidelines no matter how much you ask. This is a site for keeping track of anime, they have to have some sort of rules. You can consider avatar an anime or whatever off this site.

rogerwilco said:
I guess that's fair...it's just not a great definition for art. We may sometimes define art by a geographical location for convenience, but it's usually the culture and style that really defines it.
They are only defining it on this site for reasons of consistency. You can think of anime however you want, but that doesn't mean they will add it. Get over it.
Feb 17, 2013 10:18 AM
Feb 2013
cyborgt100 said:
Power puff girls isn't in a "manga style" so I don't know why you mentioned it. Powerpuff Girls Z was made in Japan so it's considered anime, while what it was based off of wasn't. There are anime based off of other country's books, should Shakespear be considered "manga style" since a couple of anime focus on it?

in know powerpuff girl wasn't manga that why i said it was american amination but the powerpuff girl Z is managa

introver turtle as long as it has the same feel as manga such classic as odin prefect blue or new style like thundercats 2011 version then i think she should be to the list in my opinion

but guideline lines are japan/ china / Korea but not US once again i this is my opinion
Feb 17, 2013 1:06 PM
Is a Hidden Gem

Aug 2007
If a bunch of Japanese expats in the U.S. made an animation and its target market was the U.S. that wouldn't be an anime.

If a bunch of Japanese expats in the U.S. made an animation and its target market was Japan that would be an anime.
Feb 17, 2013 1:30 PM

Nov 2010
cyborgt100 said:
Introver turtle as long as it has the same feel as manga such classic as odin prefect blue or new style like thundercats 2011 version then i think she should be to the list in my opinion
That's the thing, you are saying if it feels like anime then it should count. Feels are not measurable and people don't have the same feels, so what you think feels like anime some people will not agree. That's why there are guidelines, if it follows them then it's in, if it doesn't then it stays out, no feels involved.

It's the anime community that recognizes anime as Japanese made animation. Anime is just animation shortened. There is no set style, no set language, it's just who it's made by and who it's made for.
Feb 19, 2013 1:51 PM

Jan 2013
Brand said:
If a bunch of Japanese expats in the U.S. made an animation and its target market was the U.S. that wouldn't be an anime.

If a bunch of Japanese expats in the U.S. made an animation and its target market was Japan that would be an anime.

If a bunch of japanese in the Japan made an animation and its target market is every country in the world except japan then is it anime or not?
Feb 19, 2013 3:53 PM

Feb 2010
same reason teen titans are not on this site. because it was made in the United states
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 24, 2013 1:34 PM

Aug 2011
How about this:

Any animation whose original language, voice cast, airing location, production staff, and production location is Japanese or at least mostly Japanese (because many anime studios hire Korean animators and occasionally Westerners) will be considered "anime" and included in the MAL database.

Any animation whose primary language, voice cast, staff, and airing location is NOT in Japan or at least mostly Japanese, is not considered anime. This would obviously include Avatar, despite its anime influences.

The same goes for manga and light novels.
Feb 24, 2013 1:43 PM

Nov 2010
Adair said:
How about this:

Any animation whose original language, voice cast, airing location, production staff, and production location is Japanese or at least mostly Japanese (because many anime studios hire Korean animators and occasionally Westerners) will be considered "anime" and included in the MAL database.

Any animation whose primary language, voice cast, staff, and airing location is NOT in Japan or at least mostly Japanese, is not considered anime. This would obviously include Avatar, despite its anime influences.

The same goes for manga and light novels.
There are anime on here whose original voices are not Japanese.

And it's pretty simple, we have anime database guidelines and manga database guidelines, that's all.
Mar 2, 2013 10:54 PM
Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

rogerwilco said:
They are only defining it on this site for reasons of consistency. You can think of anime however you want, but that doesn't mean they will add it. Get over it.

Is this forum not the appropriate place to have an intelligent discussion about what is or is not anime?
Is this section of the forums not the correct place to have an intelligent discussion about the policies of the site?
I don't think I was throwing a fit or anything....just trying to have an intelligent conversation.
Mar 2, 2013 11:05 PM
Jan 2013
Fengr said:
Brand said:

If a bunch of japanese in the Japan made an animation and its target market is every country in the world except japan then is it anime or not?

Interesting...I think there are several anime that are targeted more towards a western audience....Trigun is one if I'm not mistaken
Mar 2, 2013 11:26 PM

Nov 2010
rogerwilco said:
IntroverTurtle said:

rogerwilco said:

Is this forum not the appropriate place to have an intelligent discussion about what is or is not anime?
Is this section of the forums not the correct place to have an intelligent discussion about the policies of the site?
I don't think I was throwing a fit or anything....just trying to have an intelligent conversation.
If you want to have an intelligent discussion about what is anime then you do it on the anime discussion board, where it belongs. Which there are already threads about that, so search.

This board (or section of the forum) is a place to request changes to the database and to figure out if a show fits the guidelines. And guess what? It doesn't fit the guidelines, so there should be no reason to further discuss this. And it's been asked so many times it has it's own entry in the FAQ.
FAQ said:
I think Avatar should be added to the anime database.

No, Avatar is not an anime.

Mar 8, 2013 5:53 AM
Jan 2013
IntroverTurtle said:

This board (or section of the forum) is a place to request changes to the database and to figure out if a show fits the guidelines. And guess what? It doesn't fit the guidelines, so there should be no reason to further discuss this.

Guess what, we're trying to have an intelligent discussion about the rationale behind the guidelines.

If you don't like it, you can politely ignore us while we carry on. Thank you :)
Mar 8, 2013 8:46 AM

Nov 2010
rogerwilco said:
IntroverTurtle said:

This board (or section of the forum) is a place to request changes to the database and to figure out if a show fits the guidelines. And guess what? It doesn't fit the guidelines, so there should be no reason to further discuss this.

Guess what, we're trying to have an intelligent discussion about the rationale behind the guidelines.

If you don't like it, you can politely ignore us while we carry on. Thank you :)
Who is we? Only two people have responded to you and one of them is me. If you want to know the rationale behind the guidelines then you ask a DB Mod. And this thread isn't' about discussing the rationale behind the guidelines, it's about deciding whether Avatar is an anime and can be admitted to the database or not. And the guidelines say no it does not fit, that should be the end. Changing the purpose of the thread is considered derailing, if you want to discuss the rationale of the guidelines then you can ask a mod or make your own thread.

So follow the site's rules and you can discuss whatever you want. Thank you
Jul 28, 2013 1:46 PM
Jul 2013
Avatar is an anime, but not an orthodox one.
Anime means a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality. (dictionary.com)
Avatar is definitely a Japanese style animation.
Jul 28, 2013 1:52 PM

May 2013
Well, I would certainly be interested in seeing where exactly the line is drawn between what to be includ and what not to. For instance, Manhwa are Korean and are included along with mangas, afaik. Without reaserching them, I might have not realized they were not Japanese ever on my own. What would happen if there was a "manga" made in Europe, but practically indistinguishable from other "genuine" mangas?
Jul 28, 2013 1:53 PM

Jul 2011
UPPMeech said:
Anime means a Japanese style of motion-picture animation, characterized by highly stylized, colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sexuality. (dictionary.com)

Nope, it's not an anime
Jul 28, 2013 1:53 PM

Nov 2010
UPPMeech said:
How is Avatar similar to Shin chan who is a famous anime character?

And this site's guidelines just go by who it's made by and who it's made for and Avatar doesn't fit those guidelines.

Evanescant said:
Well, I would certainly be interested in seeing where exactly the line is drawn between what to be includ and what not to. For instance, Manhwa are Korean and are included along with mangas, afaik. Without reaserching them, I might have not realized they were not Japanese ever on my own. What would happen if there was a "manga" made in Europe, but practically indistinguishable from other "genuine" mangas?
Why don't you read the site's guidelines to figure it out, that's what they are there for. Only if it's made in Japan, Korea, or China and aimed at one of those audiences. Read the rest to learn more.
Jul 28, 2013 1:54 PM
Jul 2018
Obviously, 'cause it's not. And that's the bottom line 'cause MAL said so!
Jul 28, 2013 2:14 PM

Aug 2008
Just my 2 cents on the Shin-chan example used here (again). It bolsters my claim of Shin-chan being comparable to that of American cartoons, in terms of visual style.

===

As for Avatar, I used to argue this series as an anime 7-years ago. However, things changed: I actually watched it and found myself disappointed in this department.

For starters, Avatar needed to tone down on the goofiness -- and actually get a bit more serious. The story premise actually demanded it, but the execution of the series did the premise no justice. Of course, that doesn't mean goofiness and comedy would exclude something as being anime. Currently, I am watching Ixion Saga, which is chock full of comedic goofiness.

So, to me, it was just 1-2 steps shy of being argued as anime. Though, I don't mind how this topic pops up again and again. Anyways, I may have to watch Avatar again, in order to make some kind of analysis here.

Unlike all these "anime from Japan" parrots, I would prefer to use a more thorough analysis, because categorizing media (let alone animation) is complex to begin with. It is just that people refuse to put any kind of effort in doing so. If I were to do a compare and contrast analysis, it would be Avatar against itself. There are some features, that compares it to anime. However, there are features that compares it to cartoons as well. IMO, this is a good example of a "borderline" series.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Jul 28, 2013 5:40 PM

May 2013
I completely agree, I mean who's it going to hurt? so many people have asked for it it, it's just pointless not to be there, I mean there's Korean animation on this site why not add avatar, which was made with the soul purpose of being like an English anime, I would love to be able to rate it and keep track of it, It would be so enjoyable, I really hope they consider adding it
Jul 28, 2013 6:02 PM

Feb 2012
And why not series ? Why not books ?

IntrovertTurtle must be so tired repeating the same thing over and over again... xD
Anyway, Avatar is really american-style in my opinion, but that we don't care.
Jul 30, 2013 6:31 AM
Jul 2013
avatar is not an anime because of no purpose to show action, the motion in reality like features is anime.
Jul 30, 2013 9:22 AM
Jul 2013
Why is this thread still around when the question has been answered?
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Jul 30, 2013 10:06 AM

Feb 2010
Rinshansan said:

Why are these threads not auto deleted? It's like the mods enjoy watching people argue about something that has been debated since the show came out.

On this site it's clear what the guidelines are, and IntroverTurtle has already linked to them. Avatar is not an anime according to this site's guidelines, and it never will be.
Jul 30, 2013 10:10 AM

Nov 2010
FatherAnderson said:
Rinshansan said:

Why are these threads not auto deleted? It's like the mods enjoy watching people argue about something that has been debated since the show came out.

On this site it's clear what the guidelines are, and IntroverTurtle has already linked to them. Avatar is not an anime according to this site's guidelines, and it never will be.
No they leave this one here because this question is asked so many times. It's here for people to search avatar in the forum search and come to this thread and learn why it's not allowed, hoping to reduce the amount of people asking why elsewhere.

Also MAL has recently begun to not delete threads unless they are trolling attempts or they combine them.
Jul 30, 2013 10:47 AM
Jul 2013
FatherAnderson said:
Rinshansan said:

My thoughts exactly. It's getting old and annoying. Moreover moderators should be more active in repetition of threads so they should put firm limits.

Just what I'd do to avoid this ruckus.
Everyone in the community is shit taste.
Jul 30, 2013 3:27 PM

Aug 2008
Rinshansan said:
FatherAnderson said:
Rinshansan said:

My thoughts exactly. It's getting old and annoying. Moreover moderators should be more active in repetition of threads so they should put firm limits.

Just what I'd do to avoid this ruckus.

Y'know, I hope this question continues to pop up (not constantly of course), especially from younger viewers not yet corrupted by the "anime from Japan only" view. I couldn't ask for a more neutral perspective, other than someone from who is old.
Click on this. I dare you. | MAL Fantasy Football League | Currently Watching List

RWBY Club. RWBY is anime. Deal with it.

Aug 3, 2013 8:07 AM
Jul 2013
pralan said:
UPPMeech said:

Nope, it's not an anime

You have no evidence to support that statement.
Aug 3, 2013 8:10 AM
Jul 2013
IntroverTurtle said:
UPPMeech said:
How is Avatar similar to Shin chan who is a famous anime character?

And this site's guidelines just go by who it's made by and who it's made for and Avatar doesn't fit those guidelines.

Evanescant said:
Why don't you read the site's guidelines to figure it out, that's what they are there for. Only if it's made in Japan, Korea, or China and aimed at one of those audiences. Read the rest to learn more.

I never said anything about avatar being similar to Shin chan. Is there any reason why you brought that up?
Aug 3, 2013 9:24 AM

Nov 2010
UPPMeech said:
I never said anything about avatar being similar to Shin chan. Is there any reason why you brought that up?
You said Avatar is a japanese style animation. Which style are you talking about? Shin chan is an anime, but Avatar looks nothing like that.

UPPMeech said:
You have no evidence to support that statement.
Yes, at least by this site's rules, I do have evidence. Here's the anime guidelines, and in the FAQ it says.

FAQ said:
I think Avatar should be added to the anime database.

No, Avatar is not an anime.
Aug 3, 2013 9:25 AM

Nov 2012
God, how many more of these "Is avatar an anime" threads?

There are plenty of explanations all over MAL why it's not anime.
Also, majority of MAL users don't see it as an anime, the moderatos as well.
Aug 3, 2013 9:48 AM

Sep 2011
GOSH, NOT AGAIN !!!
Aug 3, 2013 10:20 AM

Jul 2011
Would be easier if some admin answer the question and close the thread.
Aug 4, 2013 3:48 AM

May 2009
It's not anime.

Thank you IntroverTurtle and the rest of those who read the guidelines and the FAQ for being patient with some of the newcomers.

We won't be changing the guidelines anytime soon to accommodate any other animation so for those who are so keen on Avatar, it is listed here.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Modification Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

cyruz - May 15, 2016

8692 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 7:04 PM

Sticky: » Anime DB - Post Genre/Theme Requests Here ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kineta - Mar 28, 2022

686 by SurgingSoulZX »»
Yesterday, 6:47 PM

» My Daemon ( 1 2 )

marcolacson - Nov 26, 2023

50 by veduHMY »»
Apr 23, 3:36 PM

» will the Scott Pilgrim anime be added to the database? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GanjiTheDude - Mar 30, 2023

756 by YoshiYogurt »»
Apr 20, 1:12 PM

» Could we stop having Justin Cook at the start of every anime entry's staff list?

El-Melloi - Jul 29, 2023

10 by MadanielFL »»
Apr 20, 11:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.