Forum Settings
Forums

What are the "One Hit Wonders" of the Anime World?

New
Nov 30, 2022 5:32 PM

Jan 2022
Whether it be a Studio, Director, or VA, what are some examples of people that came along, dropped maybe one or two absolute bangers, and then quietly disappeared into obscurity?
-insert NGE meme here-
Nov 30, 2022 5:41 PM

Nov 2022
Naruto, Kishimoto gave up on it and disappeared, now we only have Boruto =(

On the other hand Goro Taniguchi and Urobutcher (Gen Urobutchi) are more or less consistently good. Almost everything they do worth watching.
Buy my awesome BDSM male domination book here  https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1174760

Visit my Discord https://discord.com/channels/1047490147794550844/1047490149161898039 I am not there most of the time but you can leave a message.

Or my blog here https://BDSMAnime.blogspot.com/
Or here https://BDSMAnime18.blogspot.com/

Submit to me and become my subject here https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=88107
Nov 30, 2022 5:51 PM

Oct 2013
Oda is really a one hit wonder, heck one piece is not even good in the first place.
Nov 30, 2022 6:16 PM

Jan 2022
One Hit Wonder eh?

first thing that comes to mind is one of my favorite animes of all time. Most in the modern era I'm sure have never seen it let alone heard of it. But here it is (like, it's the whole damn movie) if anyone wants to check it out. It came from a manga and was turned into a film. Always thought MORE could have been done with GREY but it got one movie. It was pretty well liked when it came out. It's not going to knock off anyone's socks in 2022... but still pretty good IMO.

Nov 30, 2022 6:23 PM
♡( •ॢ◡-ॢ)✧˖° ♡

Dec 2014
Hiro Mashima,

His past work Rave is pretty good and enjoyable

Then came Fairy Tail which is mid and big waste of potential, and then came Eden's Zero which is even worse than Fairy Tail.

(っ◔◡◔)っ 𝓘 𝔀𝓲𝓼𝓱 𝔂𝓸𝓾 𝓪𝓵𝓵 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓪 𝔀𝓸𝓷𝓭𝓮𝓻𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓭𝓪𝔂 ♥
Nov 30, 2022 6:32 PM

Sep 2008
Hmmm:

-Yu Yamada: Memorable for her one voice role as female lead Yukari Hayasaka from Paradise Kiss. Otherwise, largely stuck to her other careers in modeling, singing, and starring in live-action films and dramas.
-Yoshifumi Kondo: Directed Studio Ghibli's coming-of-age romance, Whisper of the Heart, in 1995. Unfortunately, being a "one hit wonder" for directing was out of his hands as he passed away three years later due to suffering an aneurysm.
-Myco: A singer notable for her one voice role as the young female lead, Mitsuki Kouyama, of magical girl series Full Moon wo Sagashite.
-Topcraft: Disregarded from Studio Ghibli's official filmography is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which this studio created when Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata were involved in its production. The success of it led the two to dissolve Topcraft and form Ghibli.
-Yaoyorozu: Only got a single hit with the first season of Kemono Friends before the studio was dissolved in 2020 and renamed 8million.
Nov 30, 2022 8:24 PM

Feb 2016
Hiroyuki Morita directed 1 series and 1 Ghibli movie.
Trigger made Little Witch Academia.

ggultra2764 said:
Topcraft: Disregarded from Studio Ghibli's official filmography is Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, which this studio created when Hayao Miyazaki and Isao Takahata were involved in its production. The success of it led the two to dissolve Topcraft and form Ghibli.

Topcraft also animated Hollywood film The Last Unicorn.
その目だれの目?
Nov 30, 2022 9:16 PM

Feb 2021
Steins;Gate is kind of a one-hit wonder. It's by far the best work White Fox has produced thus far, and also leagues better than the other SciADV anime adaptations.
Nov 30, 2022 9:41 PM
Aug 2018
Probably Passione the studio who made Interspecies Reviewers. That shit was everywhere at one point, and never saw people talking about anything else they've made. Luckily I watched it after the hype shit storm so my opinion of it wasn't tainted by that. It was still good. I don't think I've laughed that much at anything else.

Nov 30, 2022 10:42 PM

May 2019
Serial Experiments Lain and Studios Traingle Staff are one hit wonders.
Dec 1, 2022 2:31 AM

Sep 2008
tchitchouan said:
Serial Experiments Lain and Studios Traingle Staff are one hit wonders.

They also worked on Macross Plus and Junkers Come Here.

Lucifrost said:
Topcraft also animated Hollywood film The Last Unicorn.

I'm aware the studio did work with Rankin/Bass (who outsourced anything that wasn't stop-motion) on a number of animated films and Christmas specials for Western audiences in the late 70s and early 80s, as I seen a few of them growing up as a kid like The Hobbit and The Night Before Christmas. But in terms of titles with lasting value and impact to audiences, Nausicaa was the studio's cream of the crop since it eventually led to Ghibli's formation.
Dec 1, 2022 3:02 AM

Oct 2018
Jun Maeda has only one decent anime called Angel Beats, Charlotte and Kami-sama ni natta hi are both toxic trash, they can give you cancer.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Dec 1, 2022 3:20 AM
Jan 2012
I'm going to also pick Hiro Mashima. I loved the hell out of Rave Master, it doesn't hold up as well if you compare it to modern Shounen, but at the time it was really fun as an Adventure Shounen. Everything afterwards on the other hand still feels like they're quite behind the times when it comes to tropes, it's like they're old anime disguised as new anime with a flimsy coat of lead paint. Rave Master is older than Fairy Tail, yet Fairy Tail is so much worse when it comes to things that plagued older anime like nakama power, and people not dying despite being teased that they have. It's not like Rave Master was immune to these dumbass tropes, but it still wasn't as bad as Fairy Tail when it came to these annoying things.
Dec 1, 2022 3:28 AM
Neet Specter

Mar 2022
All of the Manga authors from bleach, one piece, Gintama, Naruto, attack titan..
They refuse to create or can't create anything else..

Look at queen rumiko... Hit after hit..
Maison ikkoku, urusei yatsura, Ranma, inu yasha, rinne, fire tripper... So many hits..

Also Kibayashi Shin has so many hits..

Dec 1, 2022 5:56 AM

Sep 2016
ryo-san said:
All of the Manga authors from bleach, one piece, Gintama, Naruto, attack titan..
They refuse to create or can't create anything else..

Maison ikkoku, urusei yatsura, Ranma, inu yasha, rinne, fire tripper... So many hits..

Also Kibayashi Shin has so many hits..

To be fair tho, the authors who made AoT, One Piece, Naruto etc. don't even need to create anything new anymore. Their series were so popular and successful that they often dwarf what other authors have done throughout their whole careers with a multitude of projects under their belly.
Dec 1, 2022 7:14 AM

Feb 2016
ggultra2764 said:
I'm aware the studio did work with Rankin/Bass (who outsourced anything that wasn't stop-motion) on a number of animated films and Christmas specials for Western audiences in the late 70s and early 80s, as I seen a few of them growing up as a kid like The Hobbit and The Night Before Christmas.

OK, I'm not familiar with any of those. I only know The Last Unicorn because I'm a fan of the book. The author called the adaptation the best thing Rankin Bass has ever done.
その目だれの目?
Dec 1, 2022 7:30 AM

Oct 2019
the director of steins;gate is the one for me.

I genuinely think S;G is one of the best directed anime I have seen, but nothing else he has worked on stands out.

there is orange, which the manga readers say the anime isn't as good.

but like... that's it.

I guess there is Blade of the Immortal which may be what I'm looking for, but Idk.

I'm just wondering why hasn't he worked on anything else major, not even steins;gate 0.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 1, 2022 7:32 AM

Oct 2019
Phosphophyllita said:
Jun Maeda has only one decent anime called Angel Beats, Charlotte and Kami-sama ni natta hi are both toxic trash, they can give you cancer.

I thought angel beats and Kami-sama ni natta hi had the exact same positives and negatives.

from what I've heard his truly great work is clannad.
Also available at:
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
An AMV I that I spend way too much time on:
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Dec 1, 2022 7:47 AM

Oct 2018
Apolygon2 said:
Phosphophyllita said:

I thought angel beats and Kami-sama ni natta hi had the exact same positives and negatives.

from what I've heard his truly great work is clannad.

Well, about Clannad... When I mention Jun Maeda's works, I mention the anime he wrote. Clannad is a visual novel made by him, but the anime adaption was written by someone else.
Jun Maeda might know how to write VNs, but anime script is something different.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Dec 1, 2022 8:08 AM

Nov 2011
Why people said Fairy Tail lol. I perhaps also like Rave more than Fairy Tail. But it's pretty clear that Fairy Tail is far more popular. Fairy Tail was only below Shonen Jump Big 3 at their peak, arguably they made big 4 battle shonen at that time.

I agree though that many popular mangaka are one hit wonder.
I respect mangaka like Osamu Tezuka, Urasawa Naoki and Takehiko Inoue because they prove that they can make more than one masterpiece.
Heck even Yoshihiro Togashi and Arakawa Hiromu.
They all better than mangaka like Eichiro Oda and Isayama Hajime which their fanboys praise like god despite they can only write one manga (so far).
(The real Gods are other names I mentioned above FYI)
Jim_HeartDec 1, 2022 8:12 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Dec 1, 2022 8:12 AM

Mar 2021
That would be masashi kishimoto and tite kubo

We all knew how good kishimoto's post-naruto creation, samurai 8 was
And kubo's burn the witch was sure something
Dec 1, 2022 8:16 AM

Feb 2013
a lot of these sport shounens mangaka are pretty much a one hit wonder
Dec 1, 2022 8:19 AM

Mar 2019
I guess most authors of big top selling manga. I suppose you can't really blame manga authors for not enjoying the grueling work of a manga serialization enough to make a new series after the first one made millions. Although manga authors who've made hits after hits would obviously be rarer than one hit wonders.

I guess for example Monkey Punch only ever had Lupin III. Kurumada Masami pretty much only had Saint Seiya, well he has other works which were popular enough to have anime adaptations, although I wouldn't exactly call them hits. Naoko Takeuchi had Sailor Moon. Nakamura Yoshiki only had Skip Beat. Eiichiro Oda has only had One Piece.
Dec 1, 2022 8:23 AM

Jun 2016
Kishimoto, the guy never made anything popular except Naruto. Samurai 8 had its serialization cancelled in less than a year and that is a shame as a mangaka
Usagi-san-chanDec 1, 2022 8:29 AM
Dec 2, 2022 10:56 AM

Jan 2020
Radix is a studio whose only noticeably good anime is Haibane Renmei.
As for light novels, Tanigawa Nagaru's only notable work is the Haruhi series.
MOKUSHI KUSHIMO SHIMOKU KUMOSHI MOSHIKU SHIKUMO.
Dec 2, 2022 11:30 PM
Oct 2021
Oda but tbf he made One Piece and no one can blame him if he doesn’t make another series because the amount of work he consistently poured into his series for more than 20 years is insane
Dec 3, 2022 5:24 AM

Jun 2016
Kishimoto's career really plays like a Todd in the Shadows One Hit Wonderland episode with a big hit, a failed follow up and milking the success of his big hit with derivative works for the rest of his career.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Dec 3, 2022 5:46 AM

Feb 2022
That kore wa zombie guy didn't really make to get an adaptation after that.
Dec 3, 2022 5:46 AM

May 2019
ryo-san said:

Not to forget my favorite best work from her Maris the Chojo (the Supergal)

tchitchouanDec 3, 2022 5:55 AM
Dec 3, 2022 6:08 AM

Oct 2011
This interest stack comes to mind with this sort of question

https://myanimelist.net/stacks/7336
Dec 3, 2022 6:35 AM
Jun 2021
Whoever mentioned a battle shounen mangaka, you're all absolutely correct.
Very few make another big hit.

On the other hand, I feel a lot of the more influential directors in the sci-fi/mecha genre tend to have multiple hits at least critically, if not economically. For example, everything Tomino made may not have ended up particularly financially successful, but the quality is undoubtedly there, and most came round to appreciate his entire opus as a hit. Ryousuke Takahashi also had this happen to him - his entire opus is nowadays considered classic. Anno is half-and-half in that Japan considers his entire opus classic but West only knows of Evangelion because of how much it was pushed during the latter half of the nineties and early two-thousands.
In the wider area of sci-fi, Chiaki Konaka also strikes me as someone who isn't a one-trick pony either - he had Lain, Big O, Texhnolyze, even Digimon Tamers, which were all big hits.
Urobutcher is however a one-trick pony, with only Madoka having actual popular influence in the anime industry. Say what you want about Psychopass, but the work barely made a dent in the industry. Konaka beat him to it. Oshii beat him to it.
Hot Blood saves lives.
Dec 3, 2022 6:43 AM

Jan 2021
Kentarou Miura I suppose. Though he didn't "disappear" by choice.

"𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓼𝓱𝓸𝓻𝓽𝓮𝓼𝓽 𝓹𝓪𝓽𝓱 𝔀𝓪𝓼 𝓪 𝓭𝓮𝓽𝓸𝓾𝓻"  -𝒢𝓎𝓇𝑜 𝒵𝑒𝓅𝓅𝑒𝓁𝒾

Dec 3, 2022 7:26 AM

May 2015
Artland studio made Mushishi, a peerless gem, but aside from that I haven't heard any of their other anime mentioned on this forum.
IshitatesoDec 3, 2022 9:35 AM
Dec 3, 2022 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
TheMechaManiac said:
Urobutcher is however a one-trick pony, with only Madoka having actual popular influence in the anime industry.

His influence is greater in the visual novel industry. His very 1st game was even made into an anime.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/5682/Phantom__Requiem_for_the_Phantom
その目だれの目?
Dec 3, 2022 7:58 AM

Jul 2019
Idk why ppl are saying shit like Steins;gate, Angel Beats, Naruto and all the rest of it. Those anime managed to build a legacy strong enough that people have actually noticed (and acclaimed) the other works that these creators have made.

I'd say maybe mangaka falls into this band a lot more easily since they have their works become anime but it is not as if all their works become anime. Anime is significantly more popular than manga anyway. The first two that come to mind are Iwaaki Hitoshi's Parasyte and Okamoto Lynn's Elfen Lied. Outside of those stories, no one really knows what else those two had to offer for the medium. Parastye was just another anime for the force of nature Madhouse, and Elfen Lied was such a strong dark horse, no one probably cares about either the author or the studio behind it. Hell, maybe even the staff too.

I looked some more into it and seems like NGNL LN and HakoMari authors are actual one-hit wonders too.

One-hit wonders have their works appreciated more than themselves tho in this medium. Compared to other people like Rick Astley and Silento in the music industry, who are attached to songs rather than being known as noticeable singers.
Dec 3, 2022 8:19 AM

Feb 2022
NextUniverse said:
Okamoto Lynn's Elfen Lied.

Lynn has this anime and manga called brynhildr in the dark, quite popular once. His manga "parallel paradise" is also popular smut. If you're interested in seeing them pero~
Dec 3, 2022 7:12 PM

Mar 2021
Takeshi Obata and Tsugumi Ohba are pretty much a joke of themselves now compared to Death Note and even Bakuman days. Their latest anime Platinum End is massive flop. Granted Bakuman is practically a joke to death note in quality, success, and reception. So they more or less peak with Death Note
Dec 4, 2022 10:50 AM

Mar 2021
NorthmostIsle said:
What are the "One Hit Wonders" of the Anime World?

"Click Bait" is the truest modern example of a one hit wonder in the Anime World. Not only is it not Anime because it's actually a Chinese Donghua, but it has no official international marketing apparatus and no official physical merchandise. It's success is an anomaly coming out of a country where most of the Western world refuses to do trade with. While it's unknown where this franchise will end up in the future, chances are this is as close as any Chinese Donghua can come to compete with any actual Japanese Anime on a national stage. It's more than likely to be forgotten in time just judging by history of past franchises with success that have been forgotten.

Currently Funimation still has licensing right to this series but when noticing they are only offering Digital Copies instead of fully producing physical releases on DVD and Blu-ray, it's a bit of an obvious sign this isn't something even they think they can make much money on.
ColourWheelDec 4, 2022 11:00 AM

More topics from this board

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 7 hours ago

17 by mizukasa »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 5 minutes ago

0 by MillerEvans23 »»
5 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

55 by Toooooooooohru »»
13 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18? ( 1 2 )

bluefin2004 - Yesterday

66 by KayKimii »»
17 minutes ago

» Would you rather watch Anime blind or deaf?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

9 by Toooooooooohru »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.