Forum Settings
Forums

I think Naruto and Bleach would benefit greatly from a Reboot.

New
Dec 6, 2019 5:40 PM

Sep 2017
I am gonna be honest, I was not really a big fan of how those 2 series played out.
Not during their run and especially not of their endings.
I believe they fit neatly into the "great concept, bad execution" category.

A reboot, keeping roughly the same characters, idea, concept, worlds but planning from the start:
-plot points and important story bits
-characters, their role and significance in the story as well as their overall arc
-a thematic consitency in the writing

would lead to a much more enjoyable end product imo

Thoughts ?
Dec 6, 2019 5:42 PM

Jan 2009
i doubt it since long running anime like that requires a lot of money investment

but they can do a Dragon Ball Kai treatment though that means removing all fillers and making it fast pace following closely the manga pacing and then re-animate some stuff especially the badly animated parts
Dec 6, 2019 5:42 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
I would support a Bleach reboot in exchange for more Orihime fanservice as her rack was next level

Dec 6, 2019 5:44 PM
Dec 2013
Please no, they are sooooo loooong xD the stories have been told. Give is new shit. Like... Boruto? So a new story set in the world of Bleach?
Dec 6, 2019 5:47 PM

Jan 2016
So based on what you're saying, you aren't talking about a reboot that just removes the filler, but one that also cleans up the stories, right?

I know some manga purists might smite me for this, but honestly, I'd probably be for it. I'm admittedly not a fan of either Naruto or Bleach, but I actually like the idea of manga getting an adaptation that isn't necessarily 1-to-1 but also works to make the foreshadowing, character arcs, etc stronger. A problem with the manga format, especially the weekly shonen jump format, is it can be hard to plan really far in advance, and some stories do end up suffering because of that.

Now I will also acknowledge that that sort of adaptation should be done carefully. It would be very easy to make an adaptation like that that ends up changing too much or losing some of the charm of the original. I feel it's the sort of story that could be really impressive if done correctly, but also piss off a lot of fans if done poorly.

Although ultimately, I'm probably more for it generally as a concept than for Naruto and Bleach specifically.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 6, 2019 5:49 PM

Jan 2009
MindOfOsaka said:
Please no, they are sooooo loooong xD the stories have been told. Give is new shit. Like... Boruto? So a new story set in the world of Bleach?

Tite Kubo might not do another manga ever again though just because of his health issues i heard and i doubt any author can just do Bleach justice unless its from some popular or considered high caliber authors doing it
Dec 6, 2019 6:01 PM
Jan 2019
No no no no no
No no no no no
No no no no no
No no no no no
No no no no no
No no no no no
Dec 6, 2019 6:04 PM

Sep 2017
MaskOfIce said:

Now I will also acknowledge that that sort of adaptation should be done carefully. It would be very easy to make an adaptation like that that ends up changing too much or losing some of the charm of the original. I feel it's the sort of story that could be really impressive if done correctly, but also piss off a lot of fans if done poorly.

Reboots usually do change a lot of things anyway. See: Battlestar Galactica.
So it wouldnt be an unheard of idea.

Plus why would anyone get mad ? The original Anime that is a 1:1 adaptation would still exist, this would just be a new story
Dec 6, 2019 6:12 PM

Jan 2016
james501 said:
MaskOfIce said:

Plus why would anyone get mad ? The original Anime that is a 1:1 adaptation would still exist, this would just be a new story

Reboots exist, but seldom in anime. Most examples of reboots in anime are readaptations that more closely follow the source material. The only exception I can think of is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and event then I haven't heard anything about it changing major story elements.

And with both Naruto and Bleach, readaptations that more closely follow the source material is desired for both to some extent. A version of Naruto that cuts out all the filler and better animates it or a version of Bleach that cuts the filler arcs and goes to the end of the manga would honestly go over well with a good number of fans I feel.
You have shit taste, and then I have taste so shit it makes your taste look good
Dec 6, 2019 6:20 PM
Dec 2019
actually i agree...both bleach and naruto ending are rushed...but not for full reboot, but a Dragon Ball Super style of continuation...especially naruto, they need do new Naruto Super kind of stuff..reset the story make it restart back at after the fight with pain at konoha..i believe there is where the series began 'downfall'..even kishimoto admitted he troubled handling too lof of character during war..make it new timeline, after the fight with pain where there no war happened..or just a skirmish or there is war going on, but not with madara but amongst 5 country, and this time, they need to properly show how naruto become hokage and not suddenly boost his strength to godlike in blink of eye..heck, they not even need going to that route..make him on level of proper kage first, no need to over relied to the kyuubi power, and this time properly focusing of each jinchuuriki, other village ( naruto not even step foot on other village city lol) and properly set up different villain than madara or made madara role is different, and properly push sasuke either as villain or something different ..give proper closure to sasuke fate, but by just suddenly allow him came asking to be hokage and whole village pardoned him after the war, not fans service ending where everyone married with fans prefered girl and have normal family ..atleast give a twist..lot of potential there..put kishimoto as advisor as how toriyama to dragon super is
KumomemeMay 26, 2020 9:16 AM
Dec 6, 2019 9:08 PM

Feb 2010
Bleach would still be garbage because Bleach is not bad because the adaption is bad, it's just bad in general after the first arc or two.

As for Naruto, it would be nice to have a streamlined version without all the crappy fillers but then I skipped most of them already and the reboot version would probably not feel that different from just watching the existing Naruto anime while skipping the fillers. So overall I don't see much benefit here, or much of a point really.

No idea what OP is talking about here

A reboot, keeping roughly the same characters, idea, concept, worlds but planning from the start:
-characters, their role and significance in the story as well as their overall arc

1. A reboot doesn't rewrite the source material, it just re-adapts it. If you don't like the basic story structure, themes or characters, a reboot would not make any difference.
2. Pretty sure all of those were planned in Naruto already so not sure what the change would be. Bleach is another story, but then again I would consider Bleach unsalvagable in terms of writing and characters.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 6, 2019 9:12 PM

Jul 2017
Kumomeme said:
actually i agree...both bleach and naruto ending are rushed...but not for full reboot, but a Dragon Ball Super style of continuation...especially naruto, they need do new Naruto Super kind of stuff..reset the story make it restart back at after the fight with pain at konoha..i believe there is where the series began 'downfall'..even oda admitted he troubled handling too lof of character during war..make it new timeline, after the fight with pain where there no war happened..or just a skirmish or there is war going on, but not with madara but amongst 5 country, and this time, they need to properly show how naruto become hokage and not suddenly boost his strength to godlike in blink of eye..heck, they not even need going to that route..make him on level of proper kage first, no need to over relied to the kyuubi power, and this time properly focusing of each jinchuuriki, other village ( naruto not even step foot on other village city lol) and properly set up different villain than madara or made madara role is different, and properly push sasuke either as villain or something different ..give proper closure to sasuke fate, but by just suddenly allow him came asking to be hokage and whole village pardoned him after the war, not fans service ending where everyone married with fans prefered girl and have normal family ..atleast give a twist..lot of potential there..put kishimoto as advisor as how toriyama to dragon super is

Had no idea that Oda was working on Naruto lol

Dec 7, 2019 1:19 AM
May 2018
That's like creating a new story in the same universe which no one wants or needs, not to mention putting effort on a 50/50 chance. The "flaws" in respective series affect the entire story so "rebooting" is recreating the entire story with new concepts. It's just not worth it.
I'm totally in for a re-adaptation of Bleach but Naruto is not bad pacing/animation wise so just skip fillers for better experience .
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2019 1:34 AM
May 2019
Naruto - Only if you cut all of the fillers, fix the pacing and end it at the pain arc.

Bleach - Only if you cut all of the fillers and end it after certain villain is defeated and rewrite the awfully rushed ending that ruins the best ship.
XstasyDec 7, 2019 2:31 AM
Dec 7, 2019 3:58 AM

Sep 2017
MaskOfIce said:
james501 said:

Reboots exist, but seldom in anime. Most examples of reboots in anime are readaptations that more closely follow the source material. The only exception I can think of is Legend of the Galactic Heroes, and event then I haven't heard anything about it changing major story elements.

And with both Naruto and Bleach, readaptations that more closely follow the source material is desired for both to some extent. A version of Naruto that cuts out all the filler and better animates it or a version of Bleach that cuts the filler arcs and goes to the end of the manga would honestly go over well with a good number of fans I feel.

We do have examples of Reboots like Evangelion Rebuild and Casshern Sins.

I dont think reboots that "follow the source material closely" are necessary becuase the curent anime already follow them. If one doesnt like the filler arcs they can just skip the episodes.
Concerning better animation or less filler scenes that drag out a lot, that would not be a reboot per se but something like DB Kai which cleans up the awkard stuff.
Dec 7, 2019 4:00 AM

Sep 2017
Pullman said:
Bleach would still be garbage because Bleach is not bad because the adaption is bad, it's just bad in general after the first arc or two.

As for Naruto, it would be nice to have a streamlined version without all the crappy fillers but then I skipped most of them already and the reboot version would probably not feel that different from just watching the existing Naruto anime while skipping the fillers. So overall I don't see much benefit here, or much of a point really.

No idea what OP is talking about here

1. A reboot doesn't rewrite the source material, it just re-adapts it. If you don't like the basic story structure, themes or characters, a reboot would not make any difference.
2. Pretty sure all of those were planned in Naruto already so not sure what the change would be. Bleach is another story, but then again I would consider Bleach unsalvagable in terms of writing and characters.

A Reboot actually DOES rewrite the source material. That's what it means. For example: Evangelion Rebuild, Casshern Sins, Devilman Crybaby.

They all keep the basic ideas, characters, themes and setting but the plot is different.
Dec 7, 2019 4:05 AM

Nov 2019
Nah... They have been done well enough. I would want reboots for Tokyo ghoul and sword art online. So much wasted potential
SAO PROGRESSIVE ANIME HYPE
Dec 7, 2019 11:11 AM

Aug 2017
OG Naruto maybe but Naruto Shippuden is trash with or without fillers. They need to change the story, remove unnecessary plot twists, stop changing of antagonists and end it at the Pain arc. etc.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 7, 2019 4:41 PM

Apr 2010
deg said:
MindOfOsaka said:

Tite Kubo might not do another manga ever again though just because of his health issues i heard and i doubt any author can just do Bleach justice unless its from some popular or considered high caliber authors doing it

Kubo has no real health issues what are you talking about? In the interview he did last year he said he had torn a tendon but other than that he was fine. It was just having trouble mentally adjusting to life without working on a weekly manga anymore. Which would happen to anyone that spent 15 years of their life creating a weekly manga series that your life revolved around. I'm sure he'll be back with another series eventually. He's still relatively young. Even if it's just him doing the art and someone else doing the story.
Dec 7, 2019 5:07 PM

Jan 2009
Zeroflamez said:
deg said:

Kubo has no real health issues what are you talking about? In the interview he did last year he said he had torn a tendon but other than that he was fine. It was just having trouble mentally adjusting to life without working on a weekly manga anymore. Which would happen to anyone that spent 15 years of their life creating a weekly manga series that your life revolved around. I'm sure he'll be back with another series eventually. He's still relatively young. Even if it's just him doing the art and someone else doing the story.

“He decided (not the editorial staff) that he'd draw Bleach to his desired conclusion, so even though there were times where he'd want to end the series prematurely due to his declining health, he kept going in order to reach the end he was satisfied with,” the creator revealed.

"If you are familiar with Kubo, then you will know the creator did see a decline in his health as Bleach went on. The creator was even hospitalized at some points for pain and overworking himself."
https://comicbook.com/anime/2017/11/05/why-did-bleach-end-tite-kubo-injuries/
Dec 7, 2019 5:08 PM

Jun 2014
They were horrible to begin with.

What makes you think that rebooting them would improve anything?

Dec 7, 2019 5:24 PM

Aug 2018
I was thinking about a Bleach reboot a few days before and I think that it would be great specially doing it like in hunter x hunter, but people wouldn’t like it since it would be too rushed and people wouldn’t like it because for some reason people think that the beggining of both hunter x hunter and fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is boring.But after doing some calculations they would need something like 110 episodes to adapt everything + thousand year blood war l. But they would have to completely forget most of the characters.For example they would have to make less divisions in gotei 13 and less espadas
copksunaminao2Dec 7, 2019 5:31 PM
Dec 7, 2019 5:25 PM

Apr 2010
deg said:
Zeroflamez said:

“He decided (not the editorial staff) that he'd draw Bleach to his desired conclusion, so even though there were times where he'd want to end the series prematurely due to his declining health, he kept going in order to reach the end he was satisfied with,” the creator revealed.

"If you are familiar with Kubo, then you will know the creator did see a decline in his health as Bleach went on. The creator was even hospitalized at some points for pain and overworking himself."

I'm well aware of the issues he had when he was finishing up Bleach. I'm talking about CURRENTLY. From this interview I linked his health as he states himself isn't bad besides the torn Shoulder tendon. Also Kubo just did a One shot last year "Burn the Witch".
https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/09/02/bleach-creator-health-problems-series-ending/
Dec 7, 2019 5:26 PM
Feb 2018
Studio Pierrot take notes. I couldn't agree with this dude more. If only some rich guy convinced studios to work on projects more seriously and with more care, we wouldn't have garbage adaptations of brilliant manga.

View my badges.

I don't understand what this is for.
Dec 7, 2019 5:27 PM

Jan 2009
Zeroflamez said:
deg said:

I'm well aware of the issues he had when he was finishing up Bleach. I'm talking about CURRENTLY. From this interview I linked his health as he states himself isn't bad besides the torn Shoulder tendon.
https://comicbook.com/anime/2018/09/02/bleach-creator-health-problems-series-ending/

>torn Shoulder tendon

is that fully healed already though or will it affect his drawing skills esepcially if its a long running manga again
Dec 7, 2019 5:43 PM

Aug 2017
I am completely with you. To be honest, this is the exact kind of thing I always hoped for, something that fixes the problems of pacing, poor writing, plot holes... basically, I hoped that someone (preferably the creators themselves) would just look back at their series, look at what they did wrong, and do a reboot to fix it. I can't comment too much on Bleach, since I gave it much less thought, but fixing Naruto would be a dream come true. I definitely agree with the idea that they both had excellent concepts, but the execution was... botched, at best.

Actually, in the case of Naruto, I spent months and months looking for—I'm slightly ashamed to admit—fanfiction that did precisely this. But anybody who has indulged in fanfiction knows the problem: everyone has preferences, and most of them never finish writing their stories anyway. Assuming Kishimoto himself doesn't pick it up, someone will have to endeavor to fix or revamp the story while still keeping its thematic and structural elements in as objective a manner as possible, and, well, that just seems impossible to do right. But a genuine attempt to do so is most welcome.

I'm probably saying this from an amateur standpoint, as I'm not particularly well informed, but in the case of bigger mangaka like this, couldn't they press to write their own stories or versions now that the series have concluded? Assuming that they're not under contract, the tankobon sales alone should be enough for them to respond to fans demands, and retcon content without the limitations of an editor or a magazine. It's just an idea, though. At the very least, they could tell us (or post online) how they envisioned the series, or how they would choose to fix it, so the real plot and real potential of a manga/anime can take fruit in our imagination.

I think that was an unnecessarily long way—with far too many detours—of saying "yes, I agree with you".
Dec 7, 2019 5:47 PM

Apr 2010
deg said:
Zeroflamez said:

I'm well aware of the issues he had when he was finishing up Bleach. I'm talking about CURRENTLY. From this interview I linked his health as he states himself isn't bad besides the torn Shoulder tendon.

>torn Shoulder tendon

is that fully healed already though or will it affect his drawing skills esepcially if its a long running manga again

I imagine it should be healed since he did say they diagnosed him with it after Bleach ended in 2016. So it's been 3 years. In the interview he also never hinted anything about not being able to do a long running series anymore due to his shoulder nor did it sound like he's having chronic pain from it or anything like Togashi(Hunter X Hunter) and his back or Hoshino( D.Grayman) and her wrist.
Dec 7, 2019 5:49 PM

Jan 2009
Zeroflamez said:
deg said:

>torn Shoulder tendon

I imagine it should be healed since he did say they diagnosed him with it after Bleach ended in 2016. So it's been 3 years. In the interview he also never hinted anything about not being able to do a long running series anymore due to his shoulder nor did it sound like he's having chronic pain from it or anything like Togashi(Hunter X Hunter) and his back or Hoshino( D.Grayman) and her wrist.

but the fact remains he still not making a new manga other than that one shot but who knows we will see
Dec 7, 2019 6:03 PM

Jan 2018
Naruto, if and ONLY if they did a version without all the damn filler and Bleach could use one just so the damn series could actually catch up with the manga
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 7, 2019 6:14 PM

Apr 2010
deg said:
Zeroflamez said:

but the fact remains he still not making a new manga other than that one shot but who knows we will see

So what if he hasn't made anything since the One Shot? He clearly felt empty after Bleach ended and was going through some shit mentally. He's a human not a machine dude. you really just expect Kubo to come off a 15 year weekly project like Bleach and jump right into another 10 year weekly project? Dude comon. Give him some time..
Dec 7, 2019 6:26 PM

Jan 2009
Zeroflamez said:
deg said:

So what if he hasn't made anything since the One Shot? He clearly felt empty after Bleach ended and was going through some shit mentally. He's a human not a machine dude. you really just expect Kubo to come off a 15 year weekly project like Bleach and jump right into another 10 year weekly project? Dude comon. Give him some time..

Naruto author and Fairy Tail author made their new manga already

i think you are very offended lol since i see Bleach is in your favorites, im not trying to offend you or his fans btw
Dec 7, 2019 7:00 PM

Apr 2010
deg said:
Zeroflamez said:

i think you are very offended lol since i see Bleach is in your favorites, im not trying to offend you or his fans btw
I'm not offended I just don't see why you think it's a problem that he hasn't made anything since the One Shot. Like so what? you make it sound as if he NEEDS to make another Manga right now. When he is ready I'm sure he will, also why does it matter that Kishimoto and Mashima put out new manga after their last title and Kubo didn't? Kishimoto is only doing the Story of Samurai 8 not the art because he didn't want to draw another weekly Shounen at the moment, and Mashima probably felt like he didn't need a as long of a break coming off of Fairy Tail.
Dec 7, 2019 7:04 PM

Jan 2009
Zeroflamez said:
deg said:

I'm not offended I just don't see why you think it's a problem that he hasn't made anything since the One Shot. Like so what? you make it sound as if he NEEDS to make another Manga right now. When he is ready I'm sure he will, also why does it matter that Kishimoto and Mashima put out new manga after their last title and Kubo didn't? Kishimoto is only doing the Story of Samurai 8 not the art because he didn't want to draw another weekly Shounen at the moment, and Mashima probably felt like he didn't need a as long of a break coming off of Fairy Tail.

i think its just a sign that there is health problems involve and also i read too by some people speculating he might not do a weekly manga ever again at least because of those health problems that although you try to debunk its not that impossible to think considering there is still new manga from him

thats all
Dec 7, 2019 7:12 PM

Apr 2010
deg said:
Zeroflamez said:

i think its just a sign that there is health problems involve and also i read too by some people speculating he might not do a weekly manga ever again at least because of those health problems that although you try to debunk its not that impossible to think considering there is still new manga from him

thats all

That's all it is though speculation. None of us know when or if he'll do another weekly again. He could also do a monthly though instead if he can't handle the stress of a weekly anymore.
Dec 7, 2019 7:34 PM

Aug 2009
Bleach? Sure. I might actually watch it because it's the one out of the previous big three that I had the most interest in. Yoruichi looks like my kind of gal.

Naruto? No.

Dec 7, 2019 7:48 PM
May 2018
People complain so much about fillers in Naruto, and Bleach, but in most cases I personally loved how they gave more attention to characters who were ignored in source material.

That being said, I really doubt any of those will get new adaptation, only new content.
Dec 7, 2019 8:59 PM

Apr 2016
Naruto reboot? Fuck no. Its fine as it is. And if you wanna talk fillers, go watch Naruto Kai with zero fillers. Its available on nyaa. Post made on reddit.

Bleach? Totally needs a reboot. Its still incomplete.
Dec 8, 2019 12:05 AM
Jul 2018
I'd prefer if they invest this money to fully adapt other better long running battle/adventure manga. 3x3 Eyes for example
Dec 8, 2019 12:17 AM

May 2018
Rather than a complete reboot, or reinterpretation of the source material from the beginning of the story, I think an adaptation of The Thousand Year Blood War arc (from the Bleach manga) is more likely. I try to be optimistic about these things but objectively speaking there's at least a small chance of this happening in the next few years!

SuperGreenTeaDec 8, 2019 12:20 AM
Dec 8, 2019 12:19 AM

May 2018
Oh no, please no. To repeat this nightmare and make it even worse? No way

Dec 8, 2019 12:31 AM

Nov 2014
I strongly agree with a Naruto and Bleach reboot. That will put justice to both of them. Giving a continuation to the Bleach series and reanimating Naruto (most specifically the Shippuden and it's war arc, where the series starts to meet its downfall) it will be a heart-warming gift for the fans.

Dec 8, 2019 12:49 AM
Jul 2018
I love Bleach, I recently finished another rewatch of the whole series and for me, it would be enough if they'd just get it together and adapt the rest of the manga. Why they stopped before one of the best arcs is beyond me.

Reboot - only agree if its not too different, especially if they change the voice actors it would be a pass for me. They did a wonderful job and I grew very fond of them.

Naruto, I really can't say, never watched it. I might one day.

Also I should add I do appreciate anime exclusive content aka filler, so no need to "clean" that up.

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

32 by DX_impulse »»
2 minutes ago

» Has anime made you erotophobic?

LenRea - 33 minutes ago

5 by APolygons2 »»
3 minutes ago

» "This was a Masterpiece!!!" sections or moments in shows that aren't that.

APolygons2 - 6 minutes ago

0 by APolygons2 »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you perfer Split Cour or Consecutive Cour?

animegamer245 - Yesterday

17 by Serafos »»
6 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

44 by GoatPieceLuffy »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.