Forum Settings
Forums

Is there any serious action anime without dumb expressions ?

New
Aug 24, 2019 11:35 AM

Aug 2017
Basically the title, i would like to find a show that has excellent fightscenes, etc. Theres nothing wrong with comedy, im just a little bit tired of the dumb expressions anime characters tend to do. This is not really a topic asking for a recommendation, im just curious what people agree on for being suitable in that category, pardon my english i know, not so great.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 24, 2019 11:39 AM
May 2018
Try Hunter x Hunter (2011). Shit goes from 0 to 100 real quick
Aug 24, 2019 11:39 AM

Aug 2017
Bunsuke said:
sorry dude, anime's for autistic nerds who cant read regular subtle expressions. try another medium
Well, ill definitely continue to progress through my journey for finding the absolutely perfect anime
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 24, 2019 11:40 AM

Aug 2017
Aybid said:
I was actually planning to watch this for a very long time, ill give it a shot.
Aug 24, 2019 11:42 AM
Jul 2018
Try Claymore.

Every single character looks like they're dead inside, at all times.
And, in a way, they actually are...

Dec 2016
from my recollection (take this with a pinch of salt), ajin doesn't have any of the dumb expressions. b: the beginning, baki and wolf's rain too.
AnimeFreak-San said:
is this a male gender issure...human issue...mental illness perhaps?

Sep 2018
Bunsuke said:
sorry dude, anime's for autistic nerds who cant read regular subtle expressions. try another medium

Thats where your wrong....Cory in the House is the one and only anime for true intellectuels.
Aug 24, 2019 11:43 AM

Oct 2018
Most of the shows get published in Shonen jump, even the most serious show need some light comedy moments for readers, you can try some seinen manga but I'm sure they also have those types of moments.
Aug 24, 2019 11:45 AM

Aug 2017
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Try Claymore.

This was actually recommended by my own mom, but the story sounds really great, ill watch 3 episodes and see how it goes
Aug 24, 2019 11:45 AM

Aug 2017
Mullerio_ said:
Bunsuke said:

Thats where your wrong....Cory in the House is the one and only anime for true intellectuels.
I was waiting for this by the way, not even lying.
Aug 24, 2019 11:46 AM

Aug 2017
Bunsuke said:
Rarie said:
Well, ill definitely continue to progress through my journey for finding the absolutely perfect anime

godspeed my friend
(hxh is very good but i don't think it's free of the issue you described at all)
If the anime is flawless, one or two dumb expressions every episode can be forgiven.
Aug 24, 2019 11:51 AM

Oct 2017
Well, besides episode 19, i don't recall seeing le funny faces on Dororo.

Aug 24, 2019 11:51 AM
Feb 2019
Fate Stay/Night and Fate/Zero. Fate Stay/Night is recommended to be read before you watch them though.
Aug 24, 2019 11:53 AM

Mar 2018
You could try Shigurui. As I remember it doesn't have anything like that.
Aug 24, 2019 11:56 AM

Aug 2017
Thank you guys, i dont wanna make the thread ugly so i wont be quoting as much, but im reading everything
Aug 24, 2019 12:01 PM

Jul 2019
Cowboy Bebop would've perfectly fit what you want, but you've already saw it. Code Geass can also be a good choice but there is more comedy and isn't 100% of the time serious (those damn school episodes) but there isn't any "funny faces".

Actually it's quite improbable you don't find any action anime that doesn't have any funny faces, just skip over the battles shonen (90% of action animes with funny faces) stuff and then you have a plethora of them.

I think funny faces are alright if it is a comedy moment and it doesn't stop me from taking anything seriously, though I usually dislike the chibi moments if you can add it to the funny faces spectrum.

PS: Wow your mom watches anime, you lucky bastard.

EDIT: looked through your anime list and another good example you should watch is Berserk 1997, dunno why you watched the CGI sequel without it.

Other PS: WOW that's a lot of 10 ratings, I no joke wish I was able to enjoy anime as much as you.
BiDiGiNAug 24, 2019 12:06 PM
Aug 24, 2019 12:05 PM

Aug 2017
BiDiGiN said:
Cowboy Bebop would've perfectly fit what you want, but you've already saw it. Code Geass can also be a good choice but there is more comedy and isn't 100% of the time serious (those damn school episodes) but there isn't any "funny faces".

Actually it's quite improbable you don't find any action anime that doesn't have any funny faces, just skip over the battles shonen (90% of action animes with funny faces) stuff and then you have a plethora of them.

I think funny faces are alright if it is a comedy moment and it doesn't stop me from taking anything seriously, though I usually dislike the chibi moments if you can add it to the funny faces spectrum.

PS: Wow your mom watches anime, you lucky bastard.
You know i have been thinking about Code Geass for a while, ill check 3 episodes today.
Aug 24, 2019 12:06 PM
Jul 2018
In my experience with recent anime, "face fault" like sweat drops, anger veins, scribbly white eyes, paper fans, characters turning chibi, and stuff are actually really rare compared to how they used to be. I actually miss them.

It seems I can't really recommend anything since you've seen practically everything I would recommend.
Aug 24, 2019 12:06 PM

Jun 2015
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Try Claymore.

& ppl bitch abt me giving spoilers
HunLepto said:
Fate Stay/Night and Fate/Zero. Fate Stay/Night is recommended to be read before you watch them though.

dont belive him, dont read that shit, just watch fate zero.
Rarie said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Try Claymore.

This was actually recommended by my own mom, but the story sounds really great, ill watch 3 episodes and see how it goes
always listen to ur mom son.

btw is SHE on MAL?
Aug 24, 2019 12:08 PM

Jul 2019
Hell ye my dude, added a little edit and don't hesitate to just go to Anime<Anime Search<Action to find more action stuff. Also why exactly don't you want to see animes with funny faces? From your list you have quite a bit.
Aug 24, 2019 12:09 PM
Jun 2016
You should watch Fate Zero, there are no funny faces or cliches in this anime.
Aug 24, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2017
KuroudoAkabane said:
Hey_Taka-tin_Hey said:
Try Claymore.

HunLepto said:

dont belive him, dont read that shit, just watch fate zero.
Rarie said:
always listen to ur mom son.

btw is SHE on MAL?
So the Claymore thingy is actually a spoiler.... I see... Shes not on MAL for sure, i am from czech republic and she can barely create a full english sentence

Apr 2017
Heimur said:
was going to say Dororo.

Banana Fish
Claymore
Darker Than Black?(cant quite remember but its r-17 so)
Ergo Proxy
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Inuyashiki
Joker Game
Juuni Kokuki
Ichi the Killer
Mermaid Forest
Monster
and many others, sorry kinda got lost in the n's

Jul 2018
KuroudoAkabane said:

Pretty damn sure it's already been spoiled in the synopsis.
Aug 24, 2019 12:13 PM

Aug 2017
BiDiGiN said:
Hell ye my dude, added a little edit and don't hesitate to just go to Anime<Anime Search<Action to find more action stuff. Also why exactly don't you want to see animes with funny faces? From your list you have quite a bit.
I have seen way more animes, but unfortunately, the czech anime website with my own anime list got shutted down. i have been trying to recollect in my mind what shows i have seen, but no luck, cant remember everything. Your question : I am tired of it, and i even if i love laughing, i would like to try something new for a bit.
Aug 24, 2019 12:13 PM
Dec 2017
Fate zéro for sure : great action scene without any comedy in the anime
Aug 24, 2019 12:15 PM

Aug 2017
AnimeAnima said:
Heimur said:
was going to say Dororo.

Banana Fish
Claymore
Darker Than Black?(cant quite remember but its r-17 so)
Ergo Proxy
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku
Inuyashiki
Joker Game
Juuni Kokuki
Ichi the Killer
Mermaid Forest
Monster
and many others, sorry kinda got lost in the n's

Ill add Ergo proxy and monster to my list. thank you
Aug 24, 2019 12:28 PM

Jun 2015
Rarie said:
So the Claymore thingy is actually a spoiler.... I see... Shes not on MAL for sure, i am from czech republic and she can barely create a full english sentence
well yes, they are not normal girls but I wont tell you anymore. I mean it had to be something why these girls have these super powers......

how do you watch? czeck dubs ? subs?
Aug 24, 2019 12:29 PM

Feb 2018
U've already seen a lot of the 'serious action shows' from the top of my head. This might be a left-field choice, but since your looking for some excellent action scenes I'de probably recommend the monogatari series, especially the 3 movies (although it doesn't fulfill the serious faces criteria most of the time).

Aug 24, 2019 12:32 PM

Aug 2017
KuroudoAkabane said:
Rarie said:
well yes, they are not normal girls but I wont tell you anymore. I mean it had to be something why these girls have these super powers......

Theres only few czech dubs ( shaman king, yu gi oh, pokemon, naruto, shows like these ) So i have to watch english subs, i had to learn english on my own though, since They didnt teach me english in school
Aug 24, 2019 12:33 PM

Aug 2017
dincham said:
U've already seen a lot of the 'serious action shows' from the top of my head. This might be a left-field choice, but since your looking for some excellent action scenes I'de probably recommend the monogatari series, especially the 3 movies (although it doesn't fulfill the serious faces criteria most of the time).
Well i actually thought monogatari especially has those dumb expression, ill be sad if im mistaken…
Aug 24, 2019 12:35 PM

Feb 2018
Yes, but Im just recommending a show with quality action scenes. As I said, u've already seen most of the serious shows I know of. Maybe watch an action clip from one of the movies, see if it interests you.
dinchamAug 24, 2019 12:38 PM

Aug 24, 2019 12:37 PM

Jun 2015
Rarie said:
KuroudoAkabane said:

Theres only few czech dubs ( shaman king, yu gi oh, pokemon, naruto, shows like these ) So i have to watch english subs, i had to learn english on my own though, since They didnt teach me english in school
I mean if you had to go thru all that trouble, wouldnt it been better to just learn jap? I dont think english is any easier ..... u ppl use cyrillic not roman right?
Aug 24, 2019 12:42 PM

Aug 2017
KuroudoAkabane said:
Rarie said:
I mean if you had to go thru all that trouble, wouldnt it been better to just learn jap? I dont think english is any easier ..... u ppl use cyrillic not roman right?
lmao no, we use the same letters as in english. Im planning to grind japanese language as well of course. English is important as well ^_^
Aug 24, 2019 12:49 PM

Feb 2018
You could also watch castlevania, the netflix show. It has great action, with a serious tone. It's basically an english anime.

Jun 2015
Rarie said:
KuroudoAkabane said:
lmao no, we use the same letters as in english. Im planning to grind japanese language as well of course. English is important as well ^_^
yeh well if its the same script, then yeh, eng might be easier

huh wiki'd it, its a romance lang too, always thougt u ppl were soviet/cyrillic
Jul 2018
Bunsuke said:

edit: i say this in the most endearing way possible
Animation really isn't the medium for subtly period. If you want something subtle live-action would be ideal in most cases.
Aug 24, 2019 12:53 PM

Oct 2008
Phantom Requiem for the phantom
Zetsuen no Tempest
Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Gangsta.
Blood+
Darker than Black
Btoom
Aug 24, 2019 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
It depends on what expressions you are talking about. If you mean the red vein, sweatdrop, and blue lines, then I can agree that they are pretty lazy. If you mean shounen jump's ultra-realistic expressions, then, well, that doesn't bother me. I could see why it would look silly, but I find those expressions quite useful when expressing the pain of the character.

The little scratches on the face give you an idea where the character got hurt, the sweat tells you the character is worn out, and the more flexible skin makes the expression more serve in emotion.

You could always do this:

But that'll be pretty generic and you'll have less of an impact.
removed-userAug 24, 2019 1:26 PM
Aug 24, 2019 1:23 PM

Dec 2016
Aybid said:

What?? But there are funny faces and characters making "dumb" face expressions in that one, it's not entirely free of them.
Aug 24, 2019 1:26 PM

Oct 2016
I don't remember Blue Gender and Area 88 (ovas) having them so I'd recommend those two in that regard. With that said they are full of traumatized/disturbed faces so maybe the throw you off the experience just like those funny faces you talk about, the constant quality drops and characters going off models in Blue Gender don't help either.

Other than that both are pretty good shows.
Aug 24, 2019 1:42 PM

Aug 2017
KuroudoAkabane said:
Rarie said:
yeh well if its the same script, then yeh, eng might be easier

huh wiki'd it, its a romance lang too, always thougt u ppl were soviet/cyrillic
lmaooooo no dude, thank god we are not
Aug 24, 2019 1:42 PM

Aug 2017
zieek said:
Phantom Requiem for the phantom
Zetsuen no Tempest
Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin
Gangsta.
Blood+
Darker than Black
Btoom
Rainbow nisha is in my top 10, gangsta was aight, btoom is also a great show
Aug 24, 2019 1:43 PM

Aug 2017
Thank you guys once again, i dont wanna spam too much
Aug 24, 2019 5:50 PM
May 2018
Ferien said:
Aybid said:

What?? But there are funny faces and characters making "dumb" face expressions in that one, it's not entirely free of them.

Yea there are funny faces, but it doesn't have as much as other ones.
Aug 24, 2019 8:09 PM

Aug 2016
If TV is not a requirement and you accept movies, I recommend Sword of the Stranger.
Aug 24, 2019 8:12 PM

Jul 2015
Isn't NGE the go-to anime when you want coherent body language?
Aug 24, 2019 8:25 PM

Sep 2018
Off the top of my head :
Akira
GitS (I've only watched the '95 movie + SAC)
Monster
Texhnolyze
LotGH
Ergo Proxy
Serial experiments lain

Aug 29, 2019 8:08 AM
Community Admin
sunny moment

May 2010
Thread moved from Anime Discussion.
Aug 29, 2019 11:31 AM

May 2012
Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens
Baccano!
Mononoke
Seirei no Moribito (action sequences are infrequent but incredibly well-choreographed)
Kure-nai (like Moribito has a mix of action and slice-of-life; realistic character models)
Gatchaman Crowds and GC Insight
Princess Principal
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Movies

BitChilly - Yesterday

10 by TheSunLife »»
45 minutes ago

» Looking for anime like Aria the Animation and Shiroi Suna no Aquatope

AdityaRizkiS - 8 hours ago

4 by Chisuku »»
1 hour ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - Apr 25

6 by mo_lave »»
5 hours ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone/genre/theme of sci-fi/futuristic/post apocalyptic/modern times + fantasy/medieval/magic/old times?

Donkunsan - Apr 18

34 by JoeChip »»
6 hours ago

» Looking for an Anime like the game "Rival Schools".

reigningslash - Apr 22

3 by JoeChip »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.