Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 18, 2019 4:31 AM
May 2017
tucodon said:
commander31able said:

"Fly-by-wire Jet manuver" such as?

Cobra, lots and lots of cobra.

I saw that film before I knew anything about air-to-air combat. I'll have to rewatch sometime.
Jan 18, 2019 1:27 PM

Apr 2009
Zahylon said:
rastill said:
F6F Hellcats....game over

>When you're a Japanese pilot chillin' in your plane and you hear over the radio that the USS Enterprise has been spotted and a group of F6F with grim reaper decals is coming to your position.
"Ooooh.....Ryujin-sama"

tucodon said:

If it's anything like in War Thunder, the P-47 will mow the lawn for 10 minute before getting picked out one by one =))

Unless the girls get skydived at 6.

Also:
Hope we get to see Twin Engine Meme Planes.

...uhm...I don't find comparisson between this and Girly Air Force....GAF seems like another Franxx with stupid aliens and a machine that only works if two horny teens are inside of it.

...this one has actual Air Combat.
i agree on that and anyway i find this show better than GAF to be precise and also we get to see a new character in this show also as just shown in the preview of the 2nd episode
The current game that i play: Azur Lane :3

Jan 18, 2019 7:45 PM

Aug 2018
Twin engines planes would be decent I wouldn't mind seeing some Ki-45 or P-38 here and there, but they are both really unsuitable for dog-fighting.

I did not see any cobra maneuvers in the show so far, I did see a ton of Immalmann turns though. Nether really require fly-by-wire, but a cobra could not be pulled off by a WW2 era plane due to intake restrictions.

The P-47 would have to attack high, and stay high to live. I have never played War Thunder, but the P-47's were pretty lack luster against the zero's and earlier Japanese fighters except for having a higher altitude and speed only at higher altitude. Amazing enough they could not climb as fast as the zeros or earlier models.
Jan 18, 2019 10:59 PM
Jan 2019
Well I'm definitely hoping this turns out to be anime Crimson Skies. Slightly saddened they went for a full internal runway instead of a skyhook (which is both real and absurdly more compact), though, but they did make 'er a ludicrously large one, so I'll allow it for now.

On the CGI mixing at the start, it's tolerable, and that's about it. Fortunately they're looking to actually take advantage of CGI's cheap extra frames for the action, so I won't complain too much.

As for the "feminism" cry, feels more like non-malicious heavy-handed writing to me, and I'm saying that as someone who actually bothered looking up all the brands P&G owns after that ad. The main cast are girls to waifu-bait, their improbable skills are because they're MCs, the majority of pilots are going to look like scrubs next to them because of this, and it's likely the majority of pilots we meet are going to be male. It was a bit ham-fisted in the first episode, but given they wanted to fit that long of a dogfight in it, it's rather excusable.
It could trend towards gyno-supremacy in the long run, but this first episode only established that it's not impossible for it to do so- not that it was gonna.
Jan 18, 2019 11:37 PM

Sep 2015
So... the cast of Akanesasu Shoujo (Kylie is pretty much Asuka with pancakes instead of chikuwa) in High School Fleet but with planes (the mechanic reminds me a lot of Maron)?

In any case, disregarding the 2D/CG mix, this might turn out surprisingly good in a few episodes.
Jan 19, 2019 4:57 AM
Aug 2017
Sleeper of the season. Hype is over 5000. This was amazing. Everything was so good. CGI? Who cares?! The action scene was intense, the sound was great and realistic, the BGM was amazing. I can't even begin to say how much I loved this first episode. One of the best pilot episodes this season, pun intended.
Jan 19, 2019 6:15 PM
Mar 2012
Not BanG Dream level, but CG is good enough. It's always jarring when they mix both characters side by side, better use camera to differentiate foreground/background or hide it.
Nice plane accuracy, great sound design during combat with ricochets. Plane check was too long, obviously fan service for the plane otakus but I don't mind seeing once. Fight was good really reminds me back when playing War Thunder.
There's personality but not feeling any character was interesting. Kirie was annoying acting as a hotheaded noob, getting baited by all the textbook basics by the serpent plane.
Eh, the sexism level is at the point where ANN could explode.
Too early to decide, but GAF seems better as romance SOL, Kotobuki better on the action. So far GAF has more explained and interesting plot since there's ep2.
Jan 20, 2019 6:17 PM

Mar 2015
After re-watching this episode it occurred to me, after listening to Kylie's monologue, that this would fit nicely into the world of Soro no Woto about 70 years after that series ended.
The sword that takes life gives life
Jan 20, 2019 9:05 PM

Oct 2013
bucket3432 said:
So... the cast of Akanesasu Shoujo (Kylie is pretty much Asuka with pancakes instead of chikuwa) in High School Fleet but with planes (the mechanic reminds me a lot of Maron)?

In any case, disregarding the 2D/CG mix, this might turn out surprisingly good in a few episodes.

Following the Akanesasu Shoujo plot...this could be another fragment.
And the girls in this show are in fact alternate versions of Akanesasu girls.

Jan 22, 2019 7:37 AM

May 2018
The coloring of the planes of the girls and the pirates were a bit too similar against the night sky for me, so I was confused at times, but hey, I totally enjoyed the fight scene in this one. I liked the POV scenes a lot too.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Jan 23, 2019 10:28 AM

Aug 2011
10/10

Made me wanna go fly my Ki-43 in sim battle on War Thunder.
Jan 26, 2019 8:11 AM

Sep 2018
Not too serious as a narrative, but in terms of action and realism in the air, I can not complain. The plot for now does not surprise me as originality, a little woody CG, what a pity!
Jan 27, 2019 1:41 PM

Sep 2018
Quite ok starting episode not so overused genre,but i kinda dislike the CG Characters but when you look past that this could turn out pretty solid
-Mullerio-Jan 27, 2019 1:57 PM
Jan 30, 2019 6:57 PM
Jul 2018
Dammit that was TOO much offputting! sometime felt like watching gameplay. Reminds me one of 1970s random anime (forgot that title) which switches 2D to real world location lol.. Still will give this show chance so far the main character designs impressed me and also curious how the story will develop.

edit: meh dropped as of now. I will do come back if this show ever reach 8+ mal score.

removed-userFeb 1, 2019 5:53 PM
Feb 1, 2019 3:41 PM

Jul 2017
I don't know yet if this will be worth it plot wise but damn those flying scenes were GOOD.
I actually paid attention to the strategy of the fight, and the mechanism of the planes themselves (which I admit I don't always do). I think keeping the pilots silent was the right decision, specially when they accompained the fights with such great soundtrack.

The setting seems to be somewhat inspired in central or southern Spain, with the expriest doting a Cordovan hat an all. I hope they will use it for more details aside from some names and such, it seems interesting.

As I said, don't know yet how this will develop but it could go in some interesting directions given the foreshadowing in the dangers of the job.
erevFeb 2, 2019 2:06 AM
Feb 12, 2019 12:33 AM

Aug 2015
When they mix 2D and CGI

Otherwise, wow! The air combat was great. Score reminded me a bit of Indiana Jones.
glassknucklesFeb 12, 2019 8:48 PM
Feb 28, 2019 2:55 PM

Oct 2012
Character CG wasn't half-bad compared to other anime I guess, save for their walking maybe. Strange skips between 2D/3D I would need to get used to.

But was this really it? The first episode was extremely boring just watching fighters fly and shoot up everything with no goal at all for almost whole length of episode. In fact, a way too long for what it's worth. And the long needless detail shot on machines were even more unnecessary, the dragging was all around. Here I hope the next episode would be more of an introduction for all characters.. Cause as of now I know almost nothing about them, and close to nothing about the world and why they are fighting.

Guess this title only appeals to military ota as there was literally nothing worth in term of characters' exposition and plot so far.
Mar 27, 2019 12:01 AM

Jul 2016
Wow, for a moment I felt like I was playing "Medal of Honor" again. The direction during the dogfight was very well executed and very entertaining to watch as well. And not to mention that the sound effects added even more realism and immersion to the sequence.

On the other hand, I'm not sure if I will like Kirie tho. She almost got killed in the first episode for being imprudent and her careless attitude doesn't convince me to like her so far. However, we'll see if that change in the next episodes.

Overall, it was an impressive first episode, better than what I expected.
May 30, 2019 1:25 AM

Jun 2009
That wasn't bad at all. Looking forward to the next episode.
Jun 23, 2019 2:53 AM

Mar 2019
That was an awesome first episode, love me some good aerial dogfights and that didn't disappoint. The sounds of those engines as well mhmm good stuff.
Jul 20, 2019 8:03 AM

Jul 2015
I think this could be a pretty good anime if not for the boring plot and the bad cgi character, like the actual action scenes were really good.
UnkrownedJul 20, 2019 8:12 AM

Jul 28, 2019 2:44 AM

Apr 2009
Nice dogfight featuring radial engine fighter aircraft. I have less to say about the CGI female ace pilots at this point though.
Haven't warmed up to any of the girls yet.

While I consider myself a fan of WWII era vintage warplanes, I must say I like the IJN's warbirds a little more than the IJA's... unfortunately the IJN's Zero fighter was the enemy in this episode while our protagonists use the IJA's primary fighter the Ki-43 Hayabusa.

It was nice seeing the N1K1 Shiden too, but I was also a little disappointed that a more superior machine like it couldn't display its potential due to its cocky and less skilled pilots.

I'd hope to see the N1K2-J Shiden Kai and some American warbirds too like the F6F Hellcat, but I don't know if I'll see any. Time to stick around and see.
Jun 4, 2020 9:11 AM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Kotobuki squad as a bodyguard in the air? Idk what is goin on in that world. But, it seems too classic. I mean that hot air ballon cargo? Thats ... good i guess?

So far its nice. The aerial combat on the first person pov really amazing to watch. I like that style, nice decision, great direction. The girl looks good even in awful animation because they use full 3G fors designing the girl. But, they don't do full on everything, which is make a little irked. Well. Lets see from the storyline perspective. With the characterization, i can't quite fit well with all of the heroines. Need more time for me to analyze their personality and liking it.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 6, 2023 9:09 PM
Aug 2022
Very good kickoff. I like the dog fights and Zara is hot!
Mar 13, 2023 7:02 PM
Jan 2023
It's the best action anime
Mar 30, 9:26 AM

Jul 2022
"Altitude is 600 khrill. Cloud base sits at 450 khrill. Wind speed is 4.5 khrill"

What the hell is a "khrill"? A unit of both altitude and speed apparently? Maybe I watched with bad subs.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 31, 2019

54 by BlaizeV »»
Jun 25, 2023 12:57 PM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2019

32 by badabass »»
Jun 5, 2020 1:04 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2019

31 by badabass »»
Jun 5, 2020 12:14 AM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 10, 2019

24 by badabass »»
Jun 4, 2020 11:14 PM

Poll: » Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2019

25 by badabass »»
Jun 4, 2020 9:57 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.