Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 28, 2018 1:02 AM
Apr 2017
Do you feel like there was an anime, that got ripped of another series, and it's ideas? Could it have done better, if it was an original idea, of it's own?
Nov 28, 2018 1:06 AM
Jul 2018
The new Overrated anime as an example.

Monogatari + Oregairu = Bunny senpai
Nov 28, 2018 1:13 AM

Jul 2017
i do get the feeling that some anime are 'borrowing' the concepts and stories from other anime
some of the examples would be
kuroko and slam dunk
franxx and evangelion/gurren lagann

Nov 28, 2018 1:19 AM
Apr 2017
I feel like that is pretty common though. I mean if someone has seen enough anime, then you start to pick up on those bits.
Nov 28, 2018 1:26 AM

Jul 2015
Yuki Yuuna < Madoka
Countless high school harems with dense MC.
Countless Cute Girls Doing Cute Things.
I can go on forever.

Nov 28, 2018 1:31 AM
Jul 2018
Another new overrated anime.

Berserk + Grimgar = Goblin Slayer.

I can go all day but imma stop here!
Nov 28, 2018 1:42 AM

Oct 2017
Similar settings, etc. =/= a rip off.
Nov 28, 2018 1:48 AM

Nov 2014
Everything uses past works in some way. Some more, some less. Saying "rip off" is a bit too much imo, considering anything that goes too far is bound to get hit with plagiarism laws.
Nov 28, 2018 1:52 AM

May 2013
Have to chime in with the notion of plagiarism w.r.t. rip-off.

If we are being really honest here, nearly every anime can be considered a rip-off of something else.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Nov 28, 2018 2:29 AM
Jul 2018
TBH. There are barely any anime rip offs. In anime, even when cliches, concepts, settings, characters etc may be similar, there are still a lot of tweaks for making shows different from each other. Sure some new shows can be inferior to a similar existing show (eg Gurren Lagann -> Darling in the Franxx), sometimes it can end up the opposite (eg SAO -> ReZero and Konosuba).
When I think of the word "rip-off", I think of a work that is too similar to an existing show with little to no tweaks and creativity at all. I can't think of any examples in anime (but there are quite a lot in western animation).
Nov 28, 2018 2:34 AM
Apr 2017
That is true. Plus I suppose that everyone has a different idea, of what a "rip-off" is.
Nov 28, 2018 2:38 AM
Jul 2018
Most anime are rip-offs of other existing things.
Nov 28, 2018 2:40 AM

Aug 2016
KreatorX said:
Have to chime in with the notion of plagiarism w.r.t. rip-off.

If we are being really honest here, nearly every anime can be considered a rip-off of something else.

To take it further this could probably be applied to all film, television, and even literature.
Nov 28, 2018 2:42 AM

Nov 2017
It's not a rip off it's called inspiration. reee
Nov 28, 2018 2:44 AM

Apr 2016
There's a difference between inspiration and straight ripping something off. I haven't really seen any rip offs tbh.
Nov 28, 2018 2:59 PM

Aug 2018
SAO + isekai

too many trash isekai anime and manga just ripping off SAO and circlejerking each other while the self insert neet audience throws money at them.
Nov 28, 2018 3:07 PM
Apr 2017
everyone ripoffs something
i never have a problem with it
why would anyone
its still the is it good or bad anime to watch
this goblin slayer im watching now seems like a copy of berserk
i like it and gave it a 7
Nov 28, 2018 4:53 PM

Jun 2016
In the interest of not letting this be yet another "waah x and y are similar but don't ask me why" thread, I implore anyone who cares about such things to compare Kanon & Clannad. Some elements between the two are definitely similar enough to be called "ripped off".

I've heard the same sort of thing about Air but I haven't read/watched it so I can't verify anything there, though I would be interested in hearing from those who have.

TK8878May 14, 2019 4:21 PM
Nov 28, 2018 5:19 PM

Apr 2014
most anime are inspired from some predecessor
Nov 28, 2018 5:20 PM

Feb 2010
ashita no joe ripped off megalo box, right down to the grainy visuals. It's pretty sad
I probably regret this post by now.
Nov 28, 2018 5:22 PM

Sep 2018
Duel Masters rips off Yugioh which the anime for it was really bad.
Nov 28, 2018 5:34 PM

Oct 2017
That Chinese show that ripped off SAO

TK8878 said:
In the interest of not letting this be yet another "waah x and y are similar but don't ask me why" thread, I implore anyone who cares about such things to compare Kanon & Clannad. Some elements between the two are definitely similar enough to be called "ripped off".

I've heard the same sort of thing about Air but I haven't read/watched it so I can't verify anything there, though I would be interested in hearing from those who have.

All three are made by Key so no surprise as to why they are similar.
-SP-Nov 28, 2018 5:38 PM
Nov 28, 2018 5:38 PM
Sep 2018
mayoinnaisu said:
i do get the feeling that some anime are 'borrowing' the concepts and stories from other anime
some of the examples would be
kuroko and slam dunk
franxx and evangelion/gurren lagann

They're just the same genre.... -_-
Profile views make me feel loved
Nov 30, 2018 5:10 PM

Apr 2018
I wouldn't say straight up rip-off, but Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress had a TON of similarities with Attack on Titan, but I'm pretty positive everyone knows that already. I mean don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but it didn't go out of its way to be creative.
Nov 30, 2018 5:11 PM

Oct 2017
Darling in the Franxx hands down.
Rip off of Gurren Lagann, Eva, and many more.

Also that lame Summer Wars is a 100% rip-off of Digimon Our War Game, yet Summer Wars got all the credit in the end and people thought Summer War is the canon, like what the actual fuck? People are dumb.
Nov 30, 2018 6:49 PM

Dec 2013
Ventus_S said:

Also that lame Summer Wars is a 100% rip-off of Digimon Our War Game, yet Summer Wars got all the credit in the end and people thought Summer War is the canon, like what the actual fuck? People are dumb.

If you dont know. Both movies are Mamoru Hosoda films.

Just like Hiro Mashima keep recycling his Characters (Rave, Fairy Tail, Edens Zero). Maybe Hosoda-sensei wanna improve his concept.

Nov 30, 2018 7:14 PM

Aug 2018
Just because some animes use the same structure and the original writter is too pathetic to make something genuinely good and/or original doesnt mean that something is a rip off.
For example look at all the isekais out there.
I swear that if Slimesinmunetoeverything isekai doesnt turn into a trashy harem power fantasy (we already have the power fantasy so its not too far fetched) by the end of its airing time, i'll eat the frogs that live on my backyard.
Now i do believe that rip offs of popular and profitable shows do exist (popular and profitable key words).
When characters are almost indistinguishable to each other because the writter is garbage then it could be considered a rip off or lazy writing (or a shitty anime adaptation. God Japan loves turning all male characters into whinny dense crybabies).
With all that being said there is also the 20 universal plot or whatever the frek they are called that say that no fictional work is original and everything is an absolute rip off or something like that i dunno. Like its been said the idea of "rip off" varies from one people to another too.
Anyways Darling and Konosuba are rip offs you cant change my mind.
I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
Nov 30, 2018 7:15 PM
Mar 2018
There is a saying - steal like an artist which is pretty much copying something but changing it enough so that someone can tell it's not the same thing. Unfortunatly tropes and trends in anime is overdoing this, hence the annoyance with harem and isekai at the moment.

I would also be another one saying that goblin slayer is desperately trying to be a D&D version of Berserk, you got the revenge story and the reluctant gathering right there, with it going OTT with the goblin bits
Nov 30, 2018 7:37 PM
Jan 2018
xHimiko said:
Do you feel like there was an anime, that got ripped of another series, and it's ideas? Could it have done better, if it was an original idea, of it's own?

Didn't SAO start off as a .hack rip-off?
Nov 30, 2018 7:40 PM
Jan 2018
CordobezEverdeen said:
Just because some animes use the same structure and the original writter is too pathetic to make something genuinely good and/or original doesnt mean that something is a rip off.
For example look at all the isekais out there.
I swear that if Slimesinmunetoeverything isekai doesnt turn into a trashy harem power fantasy (we already have the power fantasy so its not too far fetched) by the end of its airing time, i'll eat the frogs that live on my backyard.
Now i do believe that rip offs of popular and profitable shows do exist (popular and profitable key words).
When characters are almost indistinguishable to each other because the writter is garbage then it could be considered a rip off or lazy writing (or a shitty anime adaptation. God Japan loves turning all male characters into whinny dense crybabies).
With all that being said there is also the 20 universal plot or whatever the frek they are called that say that no fictional work is original and everything is an absolute rip off or something like that i dunno. Like its been said the idea of "rip off" varies from one people to another too.
Anyways Darling and Konosuba are rip offs you cant change my mind.

Not really wanting to change your mind, but I would like to know your opinion on why Konosuba is a rip-off.
Nov 30, 2018 7:44 PM

Oct 2017
kiieatspocky said:
Ventus_S said:

Just like Hiro Mashima keep recycling his Characters (Rave, Fairy Tail, Edens Zero). Maybe Hosoda-sensei wanna improve his concept.

I do know it's from same author. Still a rip-off regardless.
Darling in the Franxx director is one of the staff from Eva either, it's still a rip off of Eva.

I'm actually mad about people thought Summer War is the cannon/ original show and trash on the Digimon movie, and some people even claim Digimon is the ripoff cuz they watched the Summer War first lolz. Or those blind people who defend that it's not a ripoff, it's completely original , yadayada.

Nov 30, 2018 7:51 PM

Aug 2013
heh, Bunny Girl is a fine example of this. It ripped Monogatari off but without anything that made it captivating in the first place, trying to brush its lack of inventiveness off by adding a bunch of wikipedia science. It's mildly fun, but it's just another seasonal fodder that will be forgotten in a few months.

And yeah, you could call it inspiration, actually I'd always thought it wouldn't be long until the Monogatari formula was coppied, but there's nothing really in Bunny Girl that distinguishes it from its source. It's like a bland rehash of it.
Nov 30, 2018 7:53 PM

Mar 2018

I found one! A true rip off, what a disgrace.
Nov 30, 2018 7:56 PM

Aug 2016
Every anime created is a LOGH ripoff.
Who are you and why do you show your hostility towards a complete stranger whom you've not once spoken with before. Are you seriously asking to get blocked? Well, if that's what your intent is; to tempt me into throwing hands with someone as lowly and insignificant as you, then i may grant your wish provided you articulate yourself a bit better when trying to spite a person of my wavelength.
Nov 30, 2018 9:09 PM

Nov 2018
ProfessionalNEET said:
Anime is a rip off of Western cartoons. Westerners invented cartoons, then the Japanese copy-catted them.

^
This

Bojack Horseman and Rick & Morty is the peak of animation god-tier storytelling.
Also

Babylon 5 tv series and Mass Effect video game > LOTGH
Anime sucks, all of them are bad and that's a fact!
Nov 30, 2018 9:17 PM
Nov 2018
Huntik said:

How can you say that without even watching the anime? You do understand what "rip-off" means right? To be honest as the series progress you can see how much of a difference there is. I just don't understand how you guys can just blatantly call it a rip off without watching or even giving a thought to the anime. Just my opinion.
Nov 30, 2018 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
CyberKnighttt said:
Huntik said:

How can you say that without even watching the anime? You do understand what "rip-off" means right? To be honest as the series progress you can see how much of a difference there is. I just don't understand how you guys can just blatantly call it a rip off without watching or even giving a thought to the anime. Just my opinion.

never judge a book by its cover. I've seen enough of that Garbage, to say is a rip-off of Monegatari/Oregairu. Dropped already.
Nov 30, 2018 9:31 PM
Nov 2018
Huntik said:
CyberKnighttt said:

never judge a book by its cover. I've seen enough of that Garbage, to say is a rip-off of Monegatari/Oregairu. Dropped already.

This is next level stupidity. Not only are you accusing an anime of being overrated but also that it is a rip off without even caring to watch. Just amazing
Nov 30, 2018 9:35 PM

Jan 2018
Welp for me Berserk is just a goblin slayer rip off
Nov 30, 2018 9:39 PM
Jul 2018
CyberKnighttt said:
Huntik said:

This is next level stupidity. Not only are you accusing an anime of being overrated but also that it is a rip off without even caring to watch. Just amazing

Because it's the Truth. Nothing more or nothing less.
Nov 30, 2018 9:44 PM
Nov 2018
Huntik said:
CyberKnighttt said:

I mean I am not the one to consider mal scores as the biggest consideration but 8.62 is not a score that you can completely disregard without even giving a chance and then go on about it being overrated and being a rip off. Try to understand a fraction of your stupidity. "Truth"?! I am done.
Nov 30, 2018 9:44 PM

Aug 2013
CyberKnighttt said:

He's still right though lol

And here's with the 30 characters
Nov 30, 2018 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
CyberKnighttt said:
Huntik said:

I mean I am not the one to consider mal scores as the biggest consideration but 8.62 is not a score that you can completely disregard without even giving a chance and then go on about it being overrated and being a rip off. Try to understand a fraction of your stupidity. "Truth"?! I am done.

It seems you did not read my previous comment. But let me repeat it so a person like you can understand.

It's easy "I've seen enough of that garbage, to say it's a rip-off." Also a score of 8.62 is a number that shouldn't even exist for an anime we have seen millions of times but hey cute girls are life, right? lmfao
Nov 30, 2018 10:00 PM
Nov 2018
Huntik said:
CyberKnighttt said:

It seems you did not read my previous comment. But let me repeat it so a person like you can understand.

It's easy "I've seen enough of that garbage, to say it's a rip-off." Also a score of 8.62 is a number that shouldn't even exist for an anime we have seen millions of times but hey cute girls are life, right? lmfao

How ignorant of me. Sure every anime out there with a stupid harem and a bunch of girls made it to over 8.5 . Anyway I am done with this back and forth, just going to waste my time on this.
CyberNyteNov 30, 2018 10:03 PM
Nov 30, 2018 10:05 PM
Jul 2018
CyberKnighttt said:
Huntik said:

How ignorant of me. Sure every anime out there with a stupid harem and a bunch of girls made it to over 8.5 without a goddamn reason for it's popularity

Exactly. Because all became overrated for no reason..wait a second...there is a reason. It does have cute girls, right? I guess so

*This is so sad, alexa play something*
Nov 30, 2018 10:15 PM
Sep 2018
Huntik said:
CyberKnighttt said:

Here's another specimen of trash that thinks Popular = Garbage
Profile views make me feel loved
Nov 30, 2018 11:55 PM

Jan 2013
Ventus_S said:
kiieatspocky said:

Darling in the Franxx director is one of the staff from Eva either, it's still a rip off of Eva.

I'm actually mad about people thought Summer War is the cannon/ original show and trash on the Digimon movie, and some people even claim Digimon is the ripoff cuz they watched the Summer War first lolz. Or those blind people who defend that it's not a ripoff, it's completely original , yadayada.

Agreed.
But don't forget Gurren Lagann is rip off of super robot shows, most notably Getter Robo. Heck, it even ripped off Mr. Yoshinori Kanada's animation.
Evangelion is rip off Ultraman, Devilman, Mazinger Z, Ideon, Gerry Anderson's Shows and Childhood's End book.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Dec 1, 2018 12:03 AM
Jul 2018
Yasuhiro- said:
Tokyo Ghoul ⬅️ Parasyte
BNHA ⬅️ OPM

Both Parasyte/OPM has been released way before Tokyo Ghoul / MHA even existed.
Dec 1, 2018 12:16 AM

Jan 2017
X + Y = Z isn't a ripoff ffs

I hope this adds to 30 character count
Dec 1, 2018 2:13 AM

Oct 2017
Cabron said:
Ventus_S said:

Agreed.
But don't forget Gurren Lagann is rip off of super robot shows, most notably Getter Robo. Heck, it even ripped off Mr. Yoshinori Kanada's animation.
Evangelion is rip off Ultraman, Devilman, Mazinger Z, Ideon, Gerry Anderson's Shows and Childhood's End book.

But none of them copy / reuse idea as much as Summer Wars.
Basically Summer War is just an reimagining of Our War Game w/o the existent of digimons. Villain/ combat/ setting/ problems/ final battle which everyone gather power/ Missile gonna destroy town/ ending are near identical.
Not only that, the plot sequence is near identical too. Even protagonist is like ripoff of Koshirou.

It's almost like that Eva reboot movies, except this time they change the name and claim it as an independent entity.
Might as well just call it Our War Game 2.0 (with no Digimon).
Ventus_SDec 1, 2018 2:22 AM

More topics from this board

» Why do people like consuming media watching specifically opposite sex get together? ( 1 2 )

Oshieteoshiete4 - Yesterday

57 by Lhundrup »»
42 seconds ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

989 by oliver2193 »»
3 minutes ago

» Why do veteran weebs hate "casuals"?

Clovis - Yesterday

44 by LenRea »»
3 minutes ago

» Is it weird to enjoy 3D Anime more than 2D Anime ?

tchitchouan - 3 hours ago

31 by tchitchouan »»
6 minutes ago

» Did I ever tell you what the definition of stupidity is?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

13 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.