Forum Settings
Forums

EDIT: Why do you THINK older anime was better/worse?

New
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 27, 2018 6:44 PM

Dec 2012
The quality of the stories and characters are about the same but digital anime looks more aesthetically pleasing to me since it has more colors and better effects for light, shadows and textures. Also I'm used to widescreen and most full screen, which lots of older anime are in unless they're movies, kinda bugs me.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 27, 2018 6:45 PM

May 2018
Perhaps better since back there it didn't exist that waifuism bullshit.
May 27, 2018 6:47 PM

Oct 2010
Pullman said:
jal90 said:

Uhm, not sure at all about who you are mentioning here but I kind of suspect something. I may be totally in the wrong though. Who were you thinking of?

My memory is shit so I'm not sure what his name was. Off-something maybe?
But I think we're thinking of the same person. I'd hope there aren't that many cases like that.

If you mean offmodel, then yes, exactly that guy. One of the best users I've met in this place. I hope he's doing okay.
May 27, 2018 8:25 PM
Jul 2015
I think it's because new anime are repeating the same themes and tropes again and again and back then those things were new and it was way easier to produce original material. Another point would be nostalgia and the fact that the amount of shitty shows nowadays is huge only because now way more anime are released.
zandermaruNov 6, 2018 1:29 PM
May 27, 2018 10:54 PM
Nov 2017
I think that anime was experiencing a boom in the mid to late 80's and the 90's, where all of todays cliches were still being formed and were, at the time, original. There was more originality, but thats because things were still very experimental.

Also, since everything was so new and experimental, money was more easily allocated towards more creative/original works that have become cult classics, but often times they were not financially successful. Nowadays, extensive data analysis lets the producers know what is financially successful, and they often just spend budget on stuff that sells, which is often generic bullshit that is created using a standard formula.

Now, its time to admit that even now there are still great things being made (like Made In Abyss), even if slightly less in quantity. Then again, a lot of the iconic old anime we all know and love is actually bullshit in retrospect (such as Pokemon. We all love it, but ya gotta admit it is retarded).
May 27, 2018 11:00 PM

Jun 2011
I cannot wait for people to call out people for feeling nostalgia for Code Geass, death note, Angel beats, Haruhi, Anohana, Clannad, and Madoka Magica. And furthermore claim that they cannot actually be good to anyone because they are “old“.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 27, 2018 11:16 PM

Jul 2017
lol jeez everyone is so rude.

instead of criticizing you i'll answer your question lol

I like older anime, because of the plot and characters. A lot of the new anime just feels kinda flat to me. There's not much that i wanna just sit down and watch. I've dropped a lot of shows because they just made me loose interest.

I've been re watching older shows and it's a little awkward lol, but i'm enjoying it more.

there are some great newer shows coming out though. i just wish we would get some more original ideas

May 27, 2018 11:30 PM

Jun 2016
Didn't you ask why we watch seasonal anime like a week ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

I personally think older anime is worse.

Quality of anime, seeing as before 2000, anime was like 360p on square tvs. Animations lacking with most if not everything being drawn.
The art style with the all too familiar big eyes, big heads, big puffy shoulders.

If you take a look at something like Guilty Crown or No Game No Life, well blended CGI or unique color schemes and backgrounds that look unbelievably good.

Anime is all about the art and style (and Japanese?). Otherwise you could consider the Simpsons or Avatar anime. Seeing as how Quan Zhi Gao Shou has made its appearance in the Anime community, made by a Chinese Studio, and with most of the staff of anime like No Game No Life Zero consisting of Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese artists, workers, etc, the industry is starting to become a lot less Japanese only. The only thing that really defines anime is its art style.

I'm not saying all older anime are worse, but the art, efficiency, and new themes and idea's (like isekai lol) brought to the table since "older anime" it definitely gives "newer anime" a jump start on ratings.

May 28, 2018 2:11 AM

Jan 2013
Inorichi said:
Didn't you ask why we watch seasonal anime like a week ago? Correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

Quality of anime, seeing as before 2000, anime was like 360p on square tvs. Animations lacking with most if not everything being drawn.
The art style with the all too familiar big eyes, big heads, big puffy shoulders.

If you take a look at something like Guilty Crown or No Game No Life, well blended CGI or unique color schemes and backgrounds that look unbelievably good.

Anime is all about the art and style (and Japanese?). Otherwise you could consider the Simpsons or Avatar anime. Seeing as how Quan Zhi Gao Shou has made its appearance in the Anime community, made by a Chinese Studio, and with most of the staff of anime like No Game No Life Zero consisting of Chinese, Korean, and Vietnamese artists, workers, etc, the industry is starting to become a lot less Japanese only. The only thing that really defines anime is its art style.

I'm not saying all older anime are worse, but the art, efficiency, and new themes and idea's (like isekai lol) brought to the table since "older anime" it definitely gives "newer anime" a jump start on ratings.

Remember those anime in the early 2000s when they were moving to digital?
They didn't look so hot, took them a long while to get to where they are now.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

May 28, 2018 2:20 AM

Jun 2015
Inorichi said:

You know you can find plenty of old anime in blurray quality nowadays? You remind me of myself when I had no clue at all and thought all old anime looked as bad as any random 2006 youtube video with an old series in it.

Sure you can't change the aspect ratio of most pre-2000 TV series that were 4:3, but that's not the case of movies which were made for a wider projection.

Also the variety in artstyles was as pronounced as nowadays if not more (due to the lesser amount of titles), so this "big eye, big head, puffy shoulders" description you give is quite of a wrong generalization. If anything that sounds like some middle 2000s artstyle from the likes of Clannad and Air.
Aug 13, 2018 2:37 PM

Aug 2017
Neither worse or better. A watched some old anime like Dragon Ball and Z and they're not a masterpiece. Don't trust MAL scores. I watched some shows with scores of 6-7 and usually my score were 6-7-8. Also there's some popular shows with high scores like 8 and usually my score were 4-5-6-7. There is only one old anime that I rated 10/10, it was NGE and EoE.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Aug 13, 2018 4:23 PM

Apr 2018
None, why can't we just enjoy anime without fighting, it all comes down to preference, there is no objective way to figure out which one is "better".
Aug 13, 2018 4:46 PM
May 2018
Cabron said:
Inorichi said:

Remember those anime in the early 2000s when they were moving to digital?
They didn't look so hot, took them a long while to get to where they are now.

Yeah, digital coloring was pretty iffy in its infancy, but at least character designs were still fairly expressive and fun back then, rather than a bunch of circles with about 3 different facial expressions like the art in new stuff. And you still usually got paintings in the backgrounds, not these digital vomit composites. Anime has never looked uglier than it is now, I'd say.

I can't even begin to understand the mindset of people who make a big deal about ratio or resolution or whatever, that's so incredibly anal. It reminds me of childless 50 year old audiophiles who buy thousands of dollars of worth of equipment to get the "creamiest midrange" out of their Japanese Pink Floyd reissues. Do you actually enjoy your hobbies, or is your hobby just a playground for your OCD?
dontcomeAug 13, 2018 4:55 PM
Aug 13, 2018 5:07 PM

Aug 2013
For the same reason that old movies, even the most popcorn ones, are better than most of nowadays movies. The industry today is more worried about money and how much stuff they can put in the market rather than creating something unique and memorable.
Aug 13, 2018 5:46 PM

Mar 2015
it's not about visual, it's just old anime lost it novelty because what original back than is different from today...
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Aug 13, 2018 7:25 PM

Oct 2010
dontcome said:
I can't even begin to understand the mindset of people who make a big deal about ratio or resolution or whatever, that's so incredibly anal. It reminds me of childless 50 year old audiophiles who buy thousands of dollars of worth of equipment to get the "creamiest midrange" out of their Japanese Pink Floyd reissues. Do you actually enjoy your hobbies, or is your hobby just a playground for your OCD?

I don't pay much attention either, but don't treat them like these aspects are irrelevant when they define the presentation of the show. It's pretty pompous on your part to assume that people who try to consume their shows in their highest quality are not enjoying their hobby. Visuals are a huge part of the enjoyment that this medium provides, so in fact, they are looking for a way to make the experience as satisfying as possible.
jal90Aug 13, 2018 7:31 PM
Aug 13, 2018 7:29 PM

Jun 2017
Tell me, why did we revive this thread?
I'm a shitposter for fun
Aug 13, 2018 7:30 PM

Oct 2010
ZionPulse said:
Tell me, why did we revive this thread?

Why not? It's fun no seriously I don't know
Aug 13, 2018 7:46 PM

Oct 2014
There are some really good series that came out in the 90s, but I think most people are always going to be hindered by the aged animation (such as myself). So it's kind of hard to compare.
Aug 13, 2018 8:48 PM

Apr 2017
Why choose 1990 as the representing year for old anime?
Aug 13, 2018 8:53 PM

Apr 2017
NickDen said:
Pullman said:
Well idk about Anecdotal Jacob but I've been on MAL for 8+ years and I can tell you 80% of its userbase avoid anything pre-2000 like the plague and it's not rare at all to meet people who refuse to look at anything older than 2010 or 2012 even. Their reasons? 'It's old'.

Just spend a few days in the Recommendation subforum and see how many people specify that they don't want anything to do with older anime. And half the people who don't specify, will specify after you recommend something old and they reject it.

Maybe you lived in a bubble and were lucky with the anime fans you know irl but on MAL, on the internet the vast majority hates old anime just for being old and some faux reasons they convinced themselves of which often aren't even close to reality. Often they can't even say why, they just instinctively avoid anything old because they associate bad things with oldness.

This mentality is so deeply rooted in the community that fans who prefer old anime are often treated not as having a different preference, but as being straight-up elitist and pretentious because people can't imagine someone actually liking old more than new except for pretend-reasons. The animation quality issue is particularly bad. I've run into a lot of hostility and condescendence whenever I tried to talk about how age is not the defining factor of animation quality and that some of the best animated works of the medium are decades old by now. Oh no, that doesn't fit their worldview where new is inherently superior to old, so no amount of evidence or logic in the world can make them budge on that conviction.

I know people who quit MAL because they kept being harassed on AD whenever they mentioned old anime in a positive light so that having a normal conversation about them was impossible and it took all the fun out of participating in the community.

MAL is not a friendly community for fans of older anime, unless you stick to private conversations and clubs. Just to set things straight.

I've noticed this as well, the disdain for older titles is also representative in the mean scores. For some reason many people on this site are biased against anything pre-2000s. Having Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your favorites especially seems to trigger the elitist alarm. Although I have no idea why, it's a bit of a strange phenomenon.
I really do not understand why LOTGH gets memed so hard on here. This one guy on the forums the other day made the exact same LOTGH being elitist joke 3 times on three different posts. Most of the people bashing it haven’t even watched it.
Aug 13, 2018 9:32 PM

Feb 2015
I don't even know in the first place, since I watch anime roughly around on the timeline of 2014s therefore it's kawaii moe moe kyun kyun shit.

Shall I extrapolate and find an answer about it of weather older anime is better or not? Nope. Will I ever watch it? Probably not. Will I continue watching moe moe kyun kyun moeblob shit? Probably yes.

It's hard to actually really, ultimately be serious when you already know that this thread will be just another one of those threads that are just thrown off and just for the heck of it.
Aug 13, 2018 9:46 PM

Apr 2017
I think it's the density of things I enjoy in anime is higher in older anime. Whether you have an overall preference between old and new anime really seems to come down to genre preference. If you like sci fi, older anime is probbly more your thing. If you like moe, newer anime is for you.
Aug 13, 2018 9:57 PM

Jan 2014
seriously this idiot, u cannot compare old with new when its MAL ratings unless if MAL existed ever since the 50s. its not like my dads generation ever got the chance to rate their favorite shows on a website. MAL is not the universals ratings, universal ratings do not exist for anime.
Sonic X is basically an isekai
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - Apr 25

10 by Zarutaku »»
1 minute ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase? ( 1 2 )

Catalano - Apr 25

51 by luckyrune »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there an anime character who looks like you in real life?

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

22 by Spunkert »»
19 minutes ago

» What anime brought you to watch more anime? :)

Rinrinka - Yesterday

27 by Prupel1 »»
22 minutes ago

» Criticism You Don't Understand.

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

9 by Catalano »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.