Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Sep 8, 2015 7:21 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It was an alright episode.

Brain is introduced and we get a bit of action involving Shalltear. I thought she got quite blood thirsty in the fight though and wow....

Pretty intense stuff.
Well I thought Shalltear's voice and personality was well portrayed in this episode in particular with her bloodlust.

Sep 8, 2015 7:34 AM
The Komori

Mar 2013
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Brain is introduced and we get a bit of action involving Shalltear. I thought she got quite blood thirsty in the fight though and wow....

Pretty intense stuff.
Well I thought Shalltear's voice and personality was well portrayed in this episode in particular with her bloodlust.

Jesus is that her O_O
Sep 8, 2015 7:53 AM

Jul 2014
Once again, madhouse proving that they are completely clueless on how to make a novel adaptation.
Sep 8, 2015 7:55 AM
Oct 2011
Meh super rushed overall,and many changes here and there, that was half of volume 3 in 1 ep.Also might've missed it but among other things they didn't even explain why she went all berserk did they?(and they left her in that state for quite a while too where she could change back and forth to normal like nothing :D).

They do have enough time to animate other stuff now,like Nigredo,PA,adventurers and ofc the whole fight so I wont complain too much,otherwise it probably would've been impossible to fit everything in,however thats exactly why they should've just cut some stuff from vol2 (especially when it was possible) and give 1 extra episode to this arc but alas.

barmarSep 8, 2015 9:10 AM
Sep 8, 2015 8:11 AM

Jun 2013
Shalltear's true vampire form looked brutal. Wish they didnt just skim through the massacare & put more details and some explainations in it about shalltear, but oh well.

Arcanix said:
Once again, madhouse proving that they are completely clueless on how to make a novel adaptation.

all hope isn't lost yet. Though this episode was pretty bad adaptation wise, it was still entertaining.

I looked up in credits and Manabu ono (the director of mahouka) worked on the storyboard for this episode. Not surprised much about the rushed pace now.

There are still 3 eps remaining, maybe they'll handle the later stuff better. Or go typical madhouse LN adaptation route & make a rushed/original ending.
JetNoirSep 8, 2015 9:17 AM
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Sep 8, 2015 8:22 AM

Jul 2014
They can't handle the fight better if they keep using this abomination of animation. The characters look like complete shit sometimes and in 10 episodes i can remember only 2 parts where the show had decent animation.
Sep 8, 2015 8:27 AM

Jun 2013
Arcanix said:
They can't handle the fight better if they keep using this abomination of animation. The characters look like complete shit sometimes and in 10 episodes i can remember only 2 parts where the show had decent animation.

true. I dont think anyone's going to defend the show for it's animation.
JetNoirSep 8, 2015 8:37 AM
Imagine a berserk anime by Yoshiaki kawajiri at Madhouse.

Now take a look at Berserk (2016).

YOU HAVE MY PERMISSION TO CRY.
Sep 8, 2015 8:29 AM
Oct 2011
Arcanix said:
lol Shalltear's true form could use some work as well uhh, and never mind the very shortened duel with Brain at least put some effort in it. I mean what on earth was that slash... I think even I could've caught that barehanded.
It's hard to even look at it to compare it with this.
barmarSep 8, 2015 9:18 AM
Sep 8, 2015 8:33 AM

Jan 2013
They are paying the price for making vol.2 5 episodes.
日本人はイッちゃってるよ
あいつら未来に生きてんな
Sep 8, 2015 8:34 AM

Nov 2014
Jesus the feedback is concerning me.

Where did guys you watch it?

Sep 8, 2015 8:39 AM

Mar 2012
Wow how quickly people do a 180'''cause of a single episode....hey they sacrificed the content of the first 2 chapters in order to go into full detail for the last 3 chapters...which if u think about it are the real highlight of volume 3......as for the animation.....a lot of there production staff have already been committed to one punch man and ore monogatari so they are streched to thin....overlrod had the unlucky position of being stuck in between...i sitll loved this episode despite the flaws...
Sep 8, 2015 8:43 AM

Apr 2014
Very fast pacing for this episode. I wonder how they're going to adapt the last 3

Anyway, I still enjoyed the episode nonetheless

Sep 8, 2015 8:47 AM

Aug 2015
Jet_Blackhazel said:
Arcanix said:

true. I dont think anyone's going to defend the show for it's animation.

Well they wasted their budget animating one punch man so that's to be expected for this series
Sep 8, 2015 8:47 AM
Oct 2011
OrangeJP said:
Very fast pacing for this episode. I wonder how they're going to adapt the last 3

Anyway, I still enjoyed the episode nonetheless
The upcomming pace should be all right IMO,considering they decided to speed up the pace for this part of the LN and still have 3 episodes left.
Sep 8, 2015 8:48 AM

Mar 2015
Not too impressed with this episode but it was still pretty enjoyable.
Sep 8, 2015 9:09 AM

Jun 2012
It could've been better, a lot of action, but not much explanation. 4/5
Sep 8, 2015 9:14 AM

Aug 2014
The previous I think it was a better episode.

Oh, pitiful shadow cloaked in darkness.
Thy actions cause men pain and suffering.
Thy hollow soul drowns in thy sins.
How would you like to see what death is like?
-Enma Ai
Sep 8, 2015 9:22 AM

Jan 2009
Tokoya said:
Stark700 said:

Pretty intense stuff.
Well I thought Shalltear's voice and personality was well portrayed in this episode in particular with her bloodlust. ]
Jesus is that her O_O

Yeah, that's one of her forms though i'm not sure if that's her true form or just a transformation [spoiler]if i was to guess, it's either that form or her bloody valkyrie form.
Sep 8, 2015 9:23 AM

Aug 2015
Not surprised. Knew they were going to rush since they made volume 2, 5 episodes. But at least they gave themselves a bit more time to do the last 3 episode right. By how much, who knows. Hopefully the last fight is animated well.
Sep 8, 2015 9:25 AM
Jul 2018
Loved Albedo at the end. She makes some brilliant facial expressions.
Sep 8, 2015 9:26 AM

Jun 2015
Feels rushed, but still entertaining to me..

And Solution... is flat out scary.
I know boobs are considered a weapon, but to kill people with it is otherworldly. D:

Nice to see alot of Shalltear in this episode!

Sep 8, 2015 9:29 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
So what exactly were Shalltear, Gobas and the maid doing here? I must have missed the explanation, i was at least confused.

Otherwise, seems like Shalltear fell in the hands of mind control :/
Sep 8, 2015 9:31 AM

Jun 2009
Rushed is hardly can expressed it as people noted. And looking at the op... I'm afraid that instead of dedicating all remainging episodes to volume 3 they may also cramp some of volume 4 in there >_>
Sep 8, 2015 9:33 AM

Apr 2008
Baka_Ultimate said:
Rushed is hardly can expressed it as people noted. And looking at the op... I'm afraid that instead of dedicating all remainging episodes to volume 3 they may also cramp some of volume 4 in there >_>

Nah I doubt that's going to happen.
Sep 8, 2015 9:33 AM
Jun 2012
Damn, that was rushed.
Sep 8, 2015 9:34 AM

Jan 2009
Smudy said:
So what exactly were Shalltear, Gobas and the maid doing here? I must have missed the explanation, i was at least confused.

Sebas, but anyway,
CareBearAug 15, 2020 7:43 PM

Jun 2009
Smudy said:

You must have missed reading the novel then. Beacuase they cut it off completely as much as a lot of other stuff in this episode. It have whole 2 damn chapters cramped in it.
Jul 2018
Shalltear is so badass by killing those humans like that.

It looks like she fell into the hands of mind control.
Sep 8, 2015 9:36 AM
Oct 2011
Smudy said:

They did kinda explain it I think but basically it was this

CareBearAug 15, 2020 7:21 PM
Sep 8, 2015 9:37 AM

Feb 2012
Jesus her monster form is ugly and terrifying.

Jun 2009
Darklight0303 said:
Baka_Ultimate said:

Nah I doubt that's going to happen.

I want you to be right.
Jul 2015
Smudy said:

In Episode 5 Shalltear left with Sebas to go on a mission.
While Sebas and Solution (the maid) are basically roleplaying a daughter of a rich noble and her butler to establish ties within the kingdom to merchants and stuff in order to gain intel, Shalltear was ordered to capture humans that can go missing (outcast/criminals/mercenarys) with special talents and martial arts.

They basically trick a group of mercenarys which offers carriage trips in order to rob and kidnap noble.
Well and you saw what actually happens if shalltear is ordered to capture someone....
Sep 8, 2015 9:39 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
Thanks everyone!
Sep 8, 2015 9:41 AM

Jul 2014
Seems there was some rushing going by the comments here, which is kinda disappointing given how well they've paced everything prior to this. Was anything signficant skipped though?

The animation was pretty poor as well. Shalltear's other form (whatever the hell THAT was) and her fight with Brain in particular were very poor. Still a pretty good episode though, especially with how interesting things are becoming. I'm hoping Ains has to fight Shalltear so we can see him fight someone who is close to, or even on, his level of power.

Also, that scene of the guy getting killed by boobs is one of the most disturbing things I have seen in a while, though that whole sequence was extremely violent (and, of course, censored).
Sep 8, 2015 9:53 AM

Jul 2015
walldotfm said:
Feels rushed, but still entertaining to me..

And Solution... is flat out scary.
I know boobs are considered a weapon, but to kill people with it is otherworldly. D:

Nice to see alot of Shalltear in this episode!

She is mini version of sarlacc from Star wars
Sep 8, 2015 9:55 AM

Aug 2008
MC's guildmates were pretty messed up to come up with a monster like that. Other players could be traumatized by something like that in a VR environment. Episodes are over way too fast. Once again, it's a huge shame they didn't make into OVAs with longer episodes and more time to work on it.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Sep 8, 2015 9:56 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
well.. Shalltear disappointed me in this episode.. an OP vampire transformed form is some sort of savage beast.. that is braindead weakling...

le sad...
Sep 8, 2015 9:56 AM

Apr 2008
vaikepois said:
well.. Shalltear disappointed me in this episode.. an OP vampire transformed form is some sort of savage beast.. that is braindead weakling...

le sad...

That was her racial weakness. Bloodfrenzy
Sep 8, 2015 9:58 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
That is one hideously vile transformation if I ever saw it x.x
Sep 8, 2015 9:59 AM

May 2015
shaltear wtf happened to you XD please dont transform
Sep 8, 2015 10:01 AM
Oct 2011
vaikepois said:

le sad...
That was just frenzy too bad they didn't explain it. She's very strong, especially vs Ainz who she directly counters, also she barely used any abilities this ep and with her divine class equipment she's a beast.
barmarSep 8, 2015 10:24 AM
Sep 8, 2015 10:05 AM

Jun 2013
well interesting
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Sep 8, 2015 10:09 AM

Jul 2012
Super rushed... well, it can't be helped.
"The opposite of boredom is not pleasure... but excitement. People will gladly seek out any kind of excitement, even pain." -Makishima Shougo
Sep 8, 2015 10:11 AM
Oct 2014
Hmm someone can tell me what happand to shalltear ?imean she lose the fight with the knight or what? Someone brainwash her? Please xplane!!
Sep 8, 2015 10:12 AM

Jan 2012
Well didn't think Shalltear's true form would look so... well like an ugly monster... and she seemed a bit insane in that form too
Sep 8, 2015 10:13 AM

Dec 2008
I personally liked this episode. Ended too quickly ;-;
That is one fugly transformation though, Shalltear.
Sep 8, 2015 10:14 AM

Jul 2014
At least we are done with all the brain crap even if it was rushed. I expect good things from the remainder of the volume.
Sep 8, 2015 10:14 AM

Jun 2014
Shalltear's transformation was just.....ugh, that was creepy. And Albedo was funny at the end haha.

Seems like this episode was rushed according to the LN readers, that's a shame. Hopefully the last few episodes aren't that bad.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Sep 8, 2015 10:15 AM
Sep 2015
The previous Episodes were good so far and nothing of too much importance was left out or changed, but Jesus, WTF was Ep. 10!?

Sebas was supposed to pay for evereryone after Solutions behaviour to show how rich they are but thats just minor.
After their carriage got attacked the episode was just a mess. They don't explain what Shalltear is doing. I remember one of the Vampirebrides was supposed to be caught in a beartrap and some other things. In contrast to what was supposed to happen, here the bride was just thrown against a wall. Brain is just portrayed wierdly. His past and current motives are nonexistant, the fight was a joke, him suddenly tearing up was bizarre, too. Then there is Shalltears new Form which looks idiotic. Her mouth was supposed to open up to her ears with teeth protruding partially outwards. There is even an illustration of her looks! The whole process of her loosing control was displayed badly. Her last fight was completely different in the novel and she was NOT supposed to use her lance at that point.

I had a feeling they would rush the end because Cocytus was shown with the Lizardmen as his opponents but dear god wtf was that episode today?
I hope they rushed this Episode because Brain won't be important until later and to have the last 3 Episodes at a decent quality.
EskaronSep 8, 2015 10:22 AM
Sep 8, 2015 10:16 AM
Anime Moderator
᠎ Master Öqvily᠎

Aug 2014
Shalltear was beautiful this episode. <3

Forum set made by my
secret santa, Nate!
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why do people still think the MC is trapped in a video game? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Mar 18

51 by littlerocketman »»
Apr 25, 10:37 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

432 by RayousSR »»
Apr 24, 4:55 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jul 14, 2015

239 by RayousSR »»
Apr 22, 7:53 PM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

368 by mustiest »»
Apr 17, 8:09 PM

» Why do people compare this show to SAO? ( 1 2 )

arc1only - Jan 8

58 by Reevansingh21 »»
Mar 31, 3:47 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.