Forum Settings
Forums
New
Do you feel like you've outgrown a certain kind of genre?
5 hours ago
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Just so you know, these are my thoughts. You have your own. Just thought I'd start a discussion about possible reasons for these thoughts for example.

I used to watch shounen, drama, action etc anime about a decade ago. Even more perhaps these past few years. Been checking a few here and there. But nowadays, it feels too dumb and predictable. Sure, my favorites can be predictable as well but you know what I mean.
Drama makes everything so cringe. Action is too predictable and shounen is just the typical fight, lose, win, grow etc crap.
12 episode series for example, is too predictable. If they'd continue, without season 2 etc, 24 or more episodes, it might be a different thought there. FYI I know the major reason for 12 eps long seasons instead of adapting an entire series.
As I've "outgrown" those kind of genres. Action, shounen, drama etc doesn't click with me anymore. Why is that happening?

Comedy has only kept me going in the anime series. Which makes me grateful for many different types, be it isekai, fantasy, comedy etc.

Has anyone else, obviously, serious kind of anime watcher, felt like he/she'd outgrown certain types of genre?

Fyi, I don't care about many genres. I'll post my favorites, with some kind of reason is in this spoiler so not to make this post too long.

Azuchi5 hours ago
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
5 hours ago

Feb 2020
Definitely yes, for example battle shonen and romance (unless it's yuri).
5 hours ago

May 2019
I've outgrown battle shonen but i will always stick to battle ecchi and never let it go.
4 hours ago

Sep 2016
Most kodomo anime like Pokemon, but there still are a few entertaining ones.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
4 hours ago
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Reply to tchitchouan
I've outgrown battle shonen but i will always stick to battle ecchi and never let it go.
@tchitchouan My kind of man, any recommendations which I've yet to see? Preferably, uncensored, since todays god damn cowards of studios need to censor everything.
"You only realize the real value of something you discarded when you get the chance to pick it up again." - Rudeus Greyrat
4 hours ago

Sep 2018
I outgrew most shoujo when I started viewing all the stories in a similar light. I am a guy so it is not that surprising. Kind of funny how shoujo confirmed my blackpilled takes. Lol
4 hours ago

May 2019
Reply to Azuchi
@tchitchouan My kind of man, any recommendations which I've yet to see? Preferably, uncensored, since todays god damn cowards of studios need to censor everything.
@Azuchi i have all my main recommendations in this stack https://myanimelist.net/stacks/12239 everything is uncensored
Also if you're looking for a recent anime i highly recommend https://myanimelist.net/anime/57845/Elf-san_wa_Yaserarenai
It's super sexy and uncensored as well as https://myanimelist.net/anime/54722/Mahou_Shoujo_ni_Akogarete uncensored

If you want more recs give me hints on what you like in themes, genre and kinds of ecchi, so i can see what i recommend.
4 hours ago

Oct 2013
Absolutely not. I watch anime to have fun, period. And dumb action shows are my bread and butter. I can give up ecchi any time I want, but the day I stop watching those is the day I quit anime all together.
4 hours ago

Apr 2024
yeah , i absolutely hate isekai with all my heart
Currently madly in love with my babygirl Laura Kinney💛💛 (yes i'm horny)
4 hours ago

Apr 2024
Reply to rohan121
I outgrew most shoujo when I started viewing all the stories in a similar light. I am a guy so it is not that surprising. Kind of funny how shoujo confirmed my blackpilled takes. Lol
rohan121 said:
Kind of funny how shoujo confirmed my blackpilled takes.
don't listen to the many haters abt that , they've just never experienced the damage of beauty privilege in this society
Currently madly in love with my babygirl Laura Kinney💛💛 (yes i'm horny)
4 hours ago

Jan 2009
i started my anime hobby watching battle shonen like dragon ball and yu yu hakusho and still love battle shonens after 30 years
4 hours ago

Aug 2011
No, I still enjoy all kinds of anime. Depending on my mood, I might even prefer something kind of dumb and silly, as long as I can have fun watching it.
4 hours ago
best user ever

May 2022
Nope, never grew out of any genre, but I'm not gonna say I can watch whatever because I obviously avoid certain genres (for various reasons) so I just chose the no option.
4 hours ago
Isekai Trucker

Oct 2015
Reply to tchitchouan
@Azuchi i have all my main recommendations in this stack https://myanimelist.net/stacks/12239 everything is uncensored
Also if you're looking for a recent anime i highly recommend https://myanimelist.net/anime/57845/Elf-san_wa_Yaserarenai
It's super sexy and uncensored as well as https://myanimelist.net/anime/54722/Mahou_Shoujo_ni_Akogarete uncensored

If you want more recs give me hints on what you like in themes, genre and kinds of ecchi, so i can see what i recommend.
@tchitchouan Ah I've seen the latest releases so guess I'd stick to the older ones I've yet to see. Thanks for the "stacks" link.
@Serafos Oooh yuri is a lovely genre which is underrated since they focus mostly on yaoi nowadays. At least in the manga section.
Azuchi4 hours ago
4 hours ago

Apr 2020
I can watch the same story over and over as long as I like the art style and at least one character. Unless it's isekai/fantasy with an overpowered MC and no world building.
Imagine how boring this world would be without Japan - a comment at youtube
3 hours ago

Sep 2018
Outgrown? I don't think it's necessary. What matters is expanding your horizons; I'm ok with finding something good or bad in every genre.

I like some "trash anime you should outgrow" and I dislike some others, I like some "mature anime for an adult audience" and I dislike some others, I like some popular anime and I dislike some others, I like some unpopular anime and I dislike some others, and so on.

More topics from this board

» Popularity is temporary, class is permanent

Catalano - 3 hours ago

6 by BigBoyAdvance »»
7 minutes ago

» Name one well-known anime that you think doesn't have the popularity it should have

WitherThrakh - 6 hours ago

19 by BigBoyAdvance »»
14 minutes ago

» Do you prefer old anime, or new anime?

Polatrix - 5 hours ago

25 by Astrollyth »»
14 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

1154 by Neko_shounen »»
49 minutes ago

Poll: » production delays means better work or quality

deg - 3 hours ago

13 by Guilmon1 »»
53 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.