Forum Settings
Forums

Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?

New
Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?
Sep 27, 7:23 AM

Sep 2024
I was wondering... do any of you use other sites? Maybe stuff like AniList, Kitsu or Anime-Planet. I am curious if they offer anything different.
Sep 27, 7:25 AM

Jan 2009
yes i use anilist too as a backup but im not active there because the moderation is too strict
Sep 27, 7:32 AM

Feb 2020
"Do You Use Other Anime/Manga Sites Besides MAL?"

AniList.
Sep 27, 7:33 AM

Sep 2024
Reply to deg
yes i use anilist too as a backup but im not active there because the moderation is too strict
deg said:

I mean, the moderation can't be worse than MAL. I have seen people get banned because they have an "opinion".
Sep 27, 7:34 AM

Jan 2009
Reply to Xypheron
deg said:

I mean, the moderation can't be worse than MAL. I have seen people get banned because they have an "opinion".
@Xypheron nah its worse than mal did you try posting there of any controversial opinion? you will get moderated fast
Sep 27, 7:37 AM

Sep 2024
Reply to deg
@Xypheron nah its worse than mal did you try posting there of any controversial opinion? you will get moderated fast
@deg I'm not familiar enough with either site to have an opinion, so I'm going to trust your judgment.
Sep 27, 7:41 AM

Nov 2020
Xypheron said:
I was wondering... do any of you use other sites? Maybe stuff like AniList, Kitsu or Anime-Planet. I am curious if they offer anything different.

i don't. well, I don't even see any reason to tbh. maintaining multiple social media (that too just for anime) is a pain in the ass lol. i think i saw someone say that anilist or smth has decimal ratings, so that might be the only potential advantage i see. but again, doesnt matter.
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Sep 27, 7:42 AM

Feb 2021
Yes, I also use AniList and AniDB.

Which are the only other two that really exist...
Sep 27, 7:44 AM

Dec 2022
I have an Anime-Planet account for some of its neat features, such as the love/hate character options — but that's about the extent of my interactions with it, outside of exporting my list there every few months.

╔⏤═⏤╝ ╚⏤═⏤╗
Shaded Horizon

Sep 27, 7:46 AM

Jun 2024
I used to use AniList, but I don't anymore.
Sep 27, 7:51 AM

Apr 2024
My first source for anime is aniSearch, since they have screenshots.
Sep 27, 7:51 AM

Sep 2024
Reply to luffysenchou
I used to use AniList, but I don't anymore.
@Mualani AniList is great and in some aspects even better than MAL. But their forum system is so bad that I rarely visit it.
Sep 27, 7:52 AM

Jul 2013
I use wco.tv for streaming/downloading anime shows to watch. I use MAL for discussing anime. And other topics. I hope that answers the OP's question.
Sep 27, 7:53 AM

Sep 2016
I use Anime-Planet quite often because it has by far the best character search and tagging system I know.
Sep 27, 7:54 AM

Jun 2024
Reply to Xypheron
@Mualani AniList is great and in some aspects even better than MAL. But their forum system is so bad that I rarely visit it.
@Xypheron I honestly much prefer MyAnimeList's traditional-looking and straightforward layout. It's minimalist and outdated, but in a good way. I don't know how to describe it, AniList just isn't for me.

Sep 27, 8:00 AM

Sep 2024
Reply to luffysenchou
@Xypheron I honestly much prefer MyAnimeList's traditional-looking and straightforward layout. It's minimalist and outdated, but in a good way. I don't know how to describe it, AniList just isn't for me.

@Mualani I prefer AniList's layout( it feels more lively and their rating system is better). Of course, it is subjective, so that’s just my opinion.
Sep 27, 8:04 AM

Dec 2021
I guess? I sometimes find an anime with a very low user count on MAL (Think 1000 or lower, even down to around 200), and want to decide if it's worth the effort of AI subtitling it, so I'll just go to what is effectively "Japan's MyAnimeList", aka Anikore. Yes it's 100% in Japanese, but due to exactly that, it tends to have better metrics for stuff that's super obscure here in the western part of the world. Hell, stuff that has zero info whatsoever here on MAL will often have multiple full-on reviews on Anikore, which ends up being very helpful for deciding if an anime's worth it. I just chuck a few of the reviews into ChatGPT or whatever to have it translated (DeepL and Google Translate suck at this), and I can get a very good idea of what an anime's like.
Opinions are opinions, and differing opinions can co-exist. 🙂 But I don't do debate, life's too short to spend time debating people.

alt_textalt_textalt_text
Sep 27, 8:09 AM
Oct 2019
yes i use anilist too as a backup but im not active there because the moderation is too strict(×2)
Sep 27, 9:01 AM

Oct 2017
I have a backup of my list on Anilist, although i wish their forums were a bit more active since they seem a bit more chill when it comes to people like me existing on the site
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Sep 27, 9:09 AM

Jul 2017
Yep, AniList, but I rarely ever go on it. I only log in a few times a year at most. My only reason for using it is to update my anime and manga list for backup.

Also, I’m not really a fan of AniList’s forum layout. I prefer MAL’s forum layout way more.

My total number of posts on the AniList forums so far: 1 lol
Sep 27, 9:37 AM

Oct 2017
I only use AniList apart of MAL, and I use it under Taiga, AL's layout is excellent to find anime according to the date, number of episodes or genre. But MAL is still my main account and AniList is to complement MAL.
"What a Player, what a Champion here at Wimbledon, the first man to win 8 Championships."
Andrew Castle on Roger Federer winning his 19th Grand Slam title.
Sep 27, 9:50 AM

Aug 2017
Yes. I also use AL but I'm not active there since its just a Twitter rip-off and moderation is too strict.

@Xypheron They told me AL mods not only check your private messages (which MAL mods can't do here), they also stalk you in other social media you use -if they know- and ban you if you like or follow something or someone they don't like lol. They enforce their rules even outside AL.

I like some things in AL but the moderation, incomplete Anime database and Twitter-like features makes it unattractive even to the average Anime fan.
NurguburuSep 27, 9:57 AM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Sep 27, 9:53 AM

Apr 2021
I used to use novelupdates for light novels.
Sep 27, 9:56 AM

Jul 2013
I use Crunchyrolls and wco.tv for streaming/downloading anime shows to watch. I use this website to discuss anime shows.
Sep 27, 10:02 AM

Sep 2024
I actively use mal now at the moment. Edit: But I use other sites too. Thx for @DesuMaiden replying my post I edited this post.
Rosy_RoseSep 28, 12:31 AM
“Everyone has a right to pursue a happy life.
The difficult part is to be given that right.”
Frederica Bernkastel
Sep 27, 10:59 AM

Nov 2020
I used anime-planet long before I knew about myanimelist. The only reason I went over here was because my friends used this site. A-P is still my favorite for keeping track of episode count and manga chapters and for recommendations and member lists, I also use it to find new shows via tags, I just think they have a really good search system. On MAL I mainly add things as watching, completed, stalled and dropped, for manga I mainly add the ones I've finished. I do tend to join the MAL fantasy anime league, but I am a very non-active participant. I switch a few times during the contest and then tend to forget about it until towards the end. Its mostly interesting to see if I could guess what would be popular.
Sep 27, 11:17 AM

Jul 2013
Reply to Rosy_Rose
I actively use mal now at the moment. Edit: But I use other sites too. Thx for @DesuMaiden replying my post I edited this post.
@Rosy_Rose then where do you stream/download your anime? This site doesn't offer any streams or downloads of anime.
Sep 27, 11:48 AM

Sep 2007
I have an account on AniList, Kitsu and Anime-Planet, but mainly for use it for tracking as well as in case MAL goes down or have issues.

I also use animepahe/yugen for streaming (pirate), but no account.
Sep 27, 11:59 AM

Jul 2010
Nope, MAL is more than enough for me.
Sep 27, 12:30 PM

Aug 2024
Yep, I also use AniList but the forums are so dead sadly
Sep 27, 12:58 PM
Call me Oniichan

Jan 2007
I use anidb but not for cataloguing an anime list, but to look up names of fansub/release groups for old anime. Cause you know, some anime are so obscure that you can't just find them on nyaa by typing the title of the anime. Gotta search for [sub group] + [anime title] to find them elsewhere. Sometimes on some sketchy websites, sometimes on blogs, sometimes on forums, sometimes on XDCC.
Sep 27, 1:39 PM

Dec 2019
I like Crunchy's comment section below each anime episode, however I don't pay for anime anymore. I'm not a fan of the layout Anilist and anime-planet utilize, it almost reminds me of anime/manga piracy-sites.
edit: nvm Crunchyroll apparently disabled the comment section feature, screw that trashy western monopoly site
EuroqeanSep 27, 4:59 PM
Sep 27, 11:58 PM

Jul 2024
I use animeplanet and anilist..
Anime planet is like a ghost site, I've never seen anyone online.
Anilist is pretty much a dictatorship . Nobody is allowed to talk or post on forums..
Sep 28, 12:17 AM

Feb 2020
I use MyWaifuList for like an extension of character favourites.
Sep 28, 12:22 AM

Sep 2024
Reply to DesuMaiden
@Rosy_Rose then where do you stream/download your anime? This site doesn't offer any streams or downloads of anime.
@DesuMaiden That's true okay I use other sites than mal too.
“Everyone has a right to pursue a happy life.
The difficult part is to be given that right.”
Frederica Bernkastel
Sep 28, 12:31 AM

Jan 2023
Anilist and Kitsu on occasion yes :)
Sep 28, 1:12 AM

Jun 2010
I use Baka-Updates for manga to check on status of manga. They used to have anime as well, but closed it and manga is the only one remains.
Sep 28, 1:13 AM
Apr 2018
Anilist. Can't put all of your eggs into one basket.
Sep 28, 3:31 AM

Jun 2020
Anilist is my backup anime and manga list site. It also has some entries that arent on MAL and the other way around. Both have their ups and downs in terms of interface and quality of life features, but MAL does have a forum that actually works and is active.

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Sep 28, 3:34 AM

Jun 2020
I find MAL simpler and to have a better community aspect, but I used to use Anilist for its extensive favorites and also notifications when new chapters/episodes will come out
Sep 28, 7:48 PM
Jul 2024
Reply to Euroqean
I like Crunchy's comment section below each anime episode, however I don't pay for anime anymore. I'm not a fan of the layout Anilist and anime-planet utilize, it almost reminds me of anime/manga piracy-sites.
edit: nvm Crunchyroll apparently disabled the comment section feature, screw that trashy western monopoly site
@Euroqean Crunchy NO LONGER has comments or reviews.
Sep 28, 8:37 PM

Jun 2010
Yes, baka-manga updates for checking tags/categories

Oct 3, 7:25 AM

Jan 2018
hmm for anime no, for game yes, cause it has night mode.

More topics from this board

» Do you like female characters who choose compassionate and kind guys?

fallout45 - 3 hours ago

10 by ixaa »»
3 minutes ago

» How often is you waifu/husbando cosplayed ?

tchitchouan - 4 hours ago

9 by Azuchi »»
13 minutes ago

» Are bigger boobs really more of a draw for female characters?

fallout45 - Oct 18

34 by Azuchi »»
16 minutes ago

Poll: » do you think good characters are more often to be found in mid - long length anime series ?

ame - 2 hours ago

11 by Notoshin »»
18 minutes ago

» Why won't you finish that anime you liked but left unfinished?

perseii - Oct 18

28 by DGottem »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.