Forum Settings
Forums

The Official Berserk manga account makes a statement about the unauthorized Studio Eclypse's Berserk fan made anime project, by using the copyright without the permissions of Kentaro Miura's Berserk, Studio Gaga and Hakusensha.

New
Sep 11, 8:17 AM

Nov 2015
https://x.com/berserk_project/status/1833723774388330498

To our readers

The production of a Berserk animation is being announced on the following X account (https://x.com/studio_eclypse) and website (https://www.studio-eclypse.com), but such production has not been authorized by Miura Kentarou (Studio Gaga), the copyright holder. In addition, the videos accompanying the announcements are being displayed without permission.

Hakusensha.Inc

they posted this in many different languages.

money is being made by this fan made project.
https://www.patreon.com/StudioECLYPSE
Old_School_AkiraSep 11, 8:28 AM
HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Sep 11, 8:29 AM

Sep 2016
So, this is going to be the first pirate production? ๐Ÿ˜‚
Sep 11, 8:39 AM

Jan 2022
I don't like fan projects. Hakusensha should take legal action.
Sep 11, 8:41 AM

Feb 2024
They are true Berserk fans, and they have the talent to become comedians.
Sep 11, 8:50 AM

Jul 2021
I was vaguely worried when I saw the trailer, but I assumed that they've reached some kind of understanding with the rights holders. I guess they didn't.

I wonder if there's any way forward with this. If the author was alive and was enthusiastic about the project, maaaybe he could've made something happen? But I'm pessimistic at this point.

Old_School_Akira said:

It's not like fan-made projects don't cost money, though. Based on the trailers, Studio Eclypse seemed to be aiming high in terms of quality, which probably needed a small fortune. I personally think asking for tips is reasonable, but I understand it's really up to the lawyers and accountants to determine whether that counts as "making money."
Sep 11, 8:53 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
Zarutaku said:

Probably the second,touhou fans took the first spot

https://myanimelist.net/anime/55315/Gensou_Mangekyou__The_Memories_of_Phantasm?q=touhou%20ks&cat=anime
Sep 11, 8:57 AM

Dec 2018
I don't know how to feel about it because on the one hand I would like to see a good adaptation of berserk, but on the other the project has gotten big enough that it can hardly still be called a fan project and there are copyright issues and they are unlikely to continue without permissions. I imagine they will try to sue them to avoid creating precedents of unauthorized adaptations (which go beyond a few minutes made by complete amateurs)
Sep 11, 9:01 AM

Feb 2016
The rights holders should make a better anime themselves if they have a problem with this.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Sep 11, 9:08 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Zarutaku
@Zarutaku That's pretty based.

"Fine, I'll do it myself."
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Sep 11, 9:10 AM

Aug 2016
Nothing is stopping the copyright holders from starting their own patreon/funding source to collect funds to make a proper adaptation of Berserk (they should be able to collect more if in competition anyways). Whatever they touched in the past, clearly had no love for Miura's work (abrupt end in Berserk 1997/whack start, complete detail loss with CGI for the trilogy movies but they did conclude it better than the original season and less censorship, the shitty CGI of Berserk 2016 and sequels, slightly improved TV release of the trilogy movie but that doesn't move anything) all the while skipping arcs and speedrunning his manga.

Sep 11, 9:17 AM

Sep 2016
Reply to pk8list
Zarutaku said:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/55315/Gensou_Mangekyou__The_Memories_of_Phantasm?q=touhou%20ks&cat=anime
@pk8list Interesting, did they really make this without permission of the copyright holder?
Sep 11, 9:18 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to perseii
I was vaguely worried when I saw the trailer, but I assumed that they've reached some kind of understanding with the rights holders. I guess they didn't.

I wonder if there's any way forward with this. If the author was alive and was enthusiastic about the project, maaaybe he could've made something happen? But I'm pessimistic at this point.

Old_School_Akira said:

It's not like fan-made projects don't cost money, though. Based on the trailers, Studio Eclypse seemed to be aiming high in terms of quality, which probably needed a small fortune. I personally think asking for tips is reasonable, but I understand it's really up to the lawyers and accountants to determine whether that counts as "making money."
@perseii But they upload official pages of the manga on you tube. I know they mean no harm but they can't just assume the publishers of the manga are ok with this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/1fe7igm/japanesse_fans_have_no_mercy_with_studio_eclypse/

HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Sep 11, 9:35 AM

Jul 2021
Reply to Old_School_Akira
@perseii But they upload official pages of the manga on you tube. I know they mean no harm but they can't just assume the publishers of the manga are ok with this.

https://old.reddit.com/r/Berserk/comments/1fe7igm/japanesse_fans_have_no_mercy_with_studio_eclypse/

@Old_School_Akira Yeah, the rights holders are probably not ok with it. And they shouldn't be.

I'm just saying that the existence of a Patreon doesn't imply a money-making operation that exploits someone else's property. The project probably wouldn't have got this far without it.

But that reddit thread seems to indicate some questionable track record on Eclypse's part, so who knows...

I just hope they can reach some kind of agreement. Maybe the rights holder can give the studio their blessing, with some stipulations, like "don't use manga panels to advertise" or "don't use the logo and the font", for example. But it's probably unlikely.
Sep 11, 9:42 AM

Apr 2020
Reply to Zarutaku
@pk8list Interesting, did they really make this without permission of the copyright holder?
Zarutaku said:
Interesting, did they really make this without permission of the copyright holder?

I am not 100% sure about that but the creator of the games is pretty lax with the copyrights,as long as someone gives credits to him as the creator anything goes,(at least thats how things used to be in 2000s from what I know).
Sep 11, 9:46 AM

Jun 2015
But people make fan-made animations of manga all the time on Youtube and Twitter. What different about this?
Sep 11, 10:21 AM

Nov 2019
Reply to phantom346
But people make fan-made animations of manga all the time on Youtube and Twitter. What different about this?
@phantom346 they directly adapted the source materials when the cases you mentioned at the very least consist of somewhat original ideas. Of course there should be legal interventions.
SgtBateManSep 11, 10:25 AM
Help! I need somebody. Help! Not just anybody. Help! You know I need someone. Helpppppp!

Sep 11, 10:29 AM
Oct 2019
I figured that this would happen sooner or later. Stuff like this is why there aren't many big-scale fan made anime projects. The Japanese are very strict with their copyright.
Sep 11, 10:30 AM
Oct 2019
Reply to phantom346
@phantom346 because those are usually short clips lasting a minute or two, adapting one scene, while this is seemingly a whole season of anime being produced without the approval of the copyright holders.
Sep 11, 10:38 AM

Feb 2024
You should make your titles shorter
Sep 11, 10:49 AM

Nov 2015
Reply to JoeChip
You should make your titles shorter
@JoeChip like isekai anime titles?

HACKs! ๐Ÿคข๐Ÿคฎ
Sep 11, 11:06 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to Old_School_Akira
@JoeChip like isekai anime titles?

@Old_School_Akira

Are you blind or something if you are asking this
Sep 11, 12:14 PM

May 2019
Reply to pk8list
Zarutaku said:

@pk8list Touhou fans always two steps ahead.
Sep 11, 12:22 PM

Apr 2012
Is the thread title a post-ironic parody of long LN titles?
Sep 11, 12:34 PM

Nov 2020
lmao idc about the copyright and all and also what others are yapping.

that trailer is absolutely freaking FIRE
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Sep 11, 12:34 PM

Nov 2020
Reply to tchitchouan
@pk8list Touhou fans always two steps ahead.
@tchitchouan is-is that a... umm... uh-is-uh is that a NIKOCADO AVOCADO REFERENCE?????????
"Are you the strongest because you're Satoru Gojo? Or are you Satoru Gojo because you're the strongest?"~ Suguru Geto

Sep 11, 12:56 PM

Jun 2020
I’m glad honestly, i’m sure there are passionate fans working on this but ever since they announced this without dropping AOT no requiem I knew this was a scam pretty much
Sep 11, 12:58 PM

Apr 2024
The official guys couldn't be arsed to make a single decent Berserk anime in 30 years. Whatever the fan project is going to look like, it can't be worse than the CGI mess we got a few years back.

Also, I still find it hilarious that their justification for going with CGI was that they didn't have anyone that could draw a horse.
Sep 11, 6:15 PM

Oct 2013
I don't track Studio Eclypse or their projects that much, but each time I hear about them it goes like this: a very good looking trailer or a fanmade series is announced, people are hyped because of that, and... That's it, lol. They never delivered anything apart from, again, good looking trailers and news promising one thing or another regarding their projects.

Attack on Titan: Requiem project, which made them famous (well, I heard about them after learning that some ending copers want to make their own Attack on Titan ending, lmao; I didn't have any idea it was anything serious), is said to be released on Fall 2024. At least according to this trailer (spoiler warning for anyone unfamiliar with the Attack on Titan's ending):

Until this particular show is released, no one will convince me that they are capable of making a fanmade series. I mean, they have skills, talent, passion and also resources (they have their own Patreon, no?), but it's hard to tell anything more about their works when no finished work, apart from trailers teasing their projects, was ever released.

Gathering money for fanmade projects said to be non-commercial, that are directly parasiting on stuff you don't have right to is already bad (including treating official stuff as fancy elements to promote yourself), but not delivering anything despite all of that? It's even worse, mostly for people who financially supported such stuff. In this context, it doesn't even matter that the show iwas said to eventually become available for free to everyone. The world ain't that simple.

Japan is also very strict when it comes to copyright. Even more than many Western countries. So announcing that kind of project and fueling it with crowdfindong couldn't end up in a different way. I'm surprised that it didn't happen earlier. Japanese fans are already mad on X (formerly known as Twitter).

I like fanmade projects and I wish Studio Eclypse to find a solution and actually deliver the shows they promised, for the sake of fans, and also themselves as artists, capable of making and finishing their work. But from what I briefly read about this situation, most likely that Black Swordsman fanmade anime by Studio Eclypse might end up canceled by the official publisher.
AdnashSep 11, 6:32 PM
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Sep 11, 6:17 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to RobertBobert
Is the thread title a post-ironic parody of long LN titles?
@RobertBobert Haha, my thoughts exactly. This thread's title really gives the vibe of a typical Light Novel title. ;D

By the way:
tchitchouan said:
Touhou fans always two steps ahead.
Is this a Nikocado Avocado reference?!?!?!
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Sep 11, 6:19 PM

May 2019
Reply to Adnash
@RobertBobert Haha, my thoughts exactly. This thread's title really gives the vibe of a typical Light Novel title. ;D

By the way:
tchitchouan said:
@Adnash maybe, maybe not. You decide :P
Sep 11, 6:23 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Adnash

By the way:
tchitchouan said:
@Adnash I just remembered what Maki-sensei said about how the LN title should convey the essence of the work as much as possible, lmao.
Sep 11, 6:33 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to RobertBobert
@Adnash I just remembered what Maki-sensei said about how the LN title should convey the essence of the work as much as possible, lmao.
@RobertBobert I also thought about that quote. Great minds think alike, it seems. ๐Ÿค

In that regard, this thread could fit that definition. Its title is as informative and essence-grasping as it's possible, haha.
โœจSaint Seiya Club๐ŸŒ 
Sep 11, 6:38 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Adnash
@RobertBobert I also thought about that quote. Great minds think alike, it seems. ๐Ÿค

In that regard, this thread could fit that definition. Its title is as informative and essence-grasping as it's possible, haha.
@Adnash Well, jokes aside, Berserk has long been missing a full-fledged reboot of the anime adaptation. I liked the latest anime, but it basically just repeated the old one with new animation.
Sep 11, 6:38 PM

Jan 2013
Hope they get sued even if they never actually planned to deliver beyond a trailer, because they're scammers.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Sep 11, 11:31 PM

Jul 2024
The most immediate action is likely a cease and desist order, requiring Studio Eclypse to stop production and distribution of the fan-made project.
If the cease and desist is ignored, the copyright holders (Studio Gaga and Hakusensha) might pursue legal action to protect their intellectual property. This wil result in fines and other penalties for Studio Eclypse.

the parties might enter negotiations. Studio Eclypse could seek permission or licensing agreements to continue their project legally, though this depends on the fans reactions..

The fan community’s reaction play a role. If there’s significant support for the fan project, it might influence the copyright holders’ approach, though legal rights typically take precedence.

, the most likely outcome is that the fan project will be shut down to protect the rights of the original creators and publishers.

Nobody gives a crap about fans’ passion, fans are just customers, cash cow...,

Only thing any every greedy businesses care about is making more money and seeking financial compensations...they couldn't give a crap about fans..

It's all about the money..
Sep 12, 5:08 AM

Feb 2021
They should take a page or two from Touhou series. The creator is suuper chilled about fan projects, and they are of high quality too. You wouldn't know the difference between them and "official" anime.
"Nobody could laugh at someone who's trying their hardest" -Machio-

More topics from this board

» Have your experienced an anime season which not even a single anime interest you? What do you do when that happens?

Rinrinka - 45 minutes ago

11 by Notoshin »»
3 minutes ago

» Comment characters YOU THINK would be good lesbian / gay pairings (CAN BE FROM SEPARATE SERIES)

IpreferEcchi - 3 hours ago

12 by WaterMage »»
9 minutes ago

» Your waifu has small tits, how do you cope?

Catalano - 1 hour ago

18 by ArabianLuffy »»
9 minutes ago

» Silly anime subbers

Ezekiel - Dec 23, 2020

24 by 23feanor »»
27 minutes ago

» why are women being so unseen as audience ? ( 1 2 3 )

ame - Oct 13

149 by LenRea »»
30 minutes ago
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.