Forum Settings
Forums

I started writing light novel. Have you ever tried it?

New
Aug 10, 11:26 AM
Dec 2023
I am currently writing the 18th episode, it is a story similar to Akame Ga Kill, the main characters are two sisters, I will probably make the finale in episodes 26 and 27, but there will be 5 endings, episodes 27 a, 27 b etc. What do you think?
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 10, 11:40 AM

Jan 2021
I did try along time ago to right an LN. it was based on Fate, but I never could decide the setting, it was always which servants and the nps, and the interactions between them but my knowledge on the arcane has always been pretty bare bones.

I did run it eventually as a DnD campaign and that came with the benefit of the players being the masters and I was there servants but it ended up being ruined by a few players constantly arguing amongst themselves and me being forced to mediate.
Sometimes it takes a real man to be best girl. Gilgamesh is also chad.

[/center]
Aug 10, 11:44 AM

Feb 2020
"I started writing light novel. Have you ever tried it?"

Nope. I only watch anime.
Aug 10, 11:53 AM

May 2020
Not a light novel but I am also writing a story (well, honestly if I ever finish it it will probably be a light novel to be honest). Once you get into the swing of things the thing just writes itself, and its a pretty fun pasttime too, but the battle is fought in the planning stage, and that is ultra stressful, slow-going and hard. I commend you for being able to finish it (if you do), I find it very hard to finish what I start a lot of the time.
Aug 10, 11:55 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to AnimePedestrian
I did try along time ago to right an LN. it was based on Fate, but I never could decide the setting, it was always which servants and the nps, and the interactions between them but my knowledge on the arcane has always been pretty bare bones.

I did run it eventually as a DnD campaign and that came with the benefit of the players being the masters and I was there servants but it ended up being ruined by a few players constantly arguing amongst themselves and me being forced to mediate.
@AnimePedestrian I'm sorry to hear that
Aug 10, 11:57 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Anjuro
Not a light novel but I am also writing a story (well, honestly if I ever finish it it will probably be a light novel to be honest). Once you get into the swing of things the thing just writes itself, and its a pretty fun pasttime too, but the battle is fought in the planning stage, and that is ultra stressful, slow-going and hard. I commend you for being able to finish it (if you do), I find it very hard to finish what I start a lot of the time.
@Anjuro This is my first light novel, I have had dozens of failed attempts that I left halfway through, but I feel like I will finish this one, I hope you can finish your story too, trust yourself
Aug 10, 11:59 AM

Jul 2021
I got to like 1 paragraph when I was 10.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Aug 10, 12:00 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to JaniSIr
I got to like 1 paragraph when I was 10.
@JaniSIr If you had continued, maybe you could have produced beautiful works. Who knows?
Aug 10, 12:02 PM

May 2020
Reply to otaku2000anime
@Anjuro This is my first light novel, I have had dozens of failed attempts that I left halfway through, but I feel like I will finish this one, I hope you can finish your story too, trust yourself
@otaku2000anime Thanks, I definitely want to, but I also want to write it in a way that satisfies me personally, and I am starting to question whether I have the necessary intelligence XD (It's a very complicated story I'm writing). This is also my second attempt technically, I think if I had limited myself to smaller projects and allowed myself to fail like you maybe I would not be struggling as much but who knows.
Aug 10, 12:07 PM
Apr 2024
Personally I find more interest in drawing manga
Aug 10, 12:09 PM

May 2024
I've tried writing an actual novel a few times. Got bored real fast and stopped. I guess it's just not for me.
Aug 10, 12:11 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to otaku2000anime
@AnimePedestrian I'm sorry to hear that
@otaku2000anime Its cool, I've been tooling away to work it into something else. An Empire of Dirt esc RPG, mostly just an excuse to draw a bunch of home-brew servants XD

[/center]
Aug 10, 12:12 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Anjuro
@otaku2000anime Thanks, I definitely want to, but I also want to write it in a way that satisfies me personally, and I am starting to question whether I have the necessary intelligence XD (It's a very complicated story I'm writing). This is also my second attempt technically, I think if I had limited myself to smaller projects and allowed myself to fail like you maybe I would not be struggling as much but who knows.
@Anjuro keep writing, don't be afraid of failure, watch lots of anime, read light novels, read manga, you can learn new ideas from them and transfer them to your story, keep doing these and you will improve, don't worry
Aug 10, 12:13 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Guilmon1
Personally I find more interest in drawing manga
@Guilmon1 If I could do that I would but I can only draw a stickman
Aug 10, 12:15 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to otaku2000anime
@Guilmon1 If I could do that I would but I can only draw a stickman
@otaku2000anime good luck with the LN

Jul 2022
I used to write short stories and poems when I was in middle and high school, but sadly the only writing I do now is research papers lol.

I also made a comic book once, horrible art and all.

I did have an idea for a novel back in the day, but I never really gave it serious consideration.
Dec 2023
Reply to SimplyBrazen
I've tried writing an actual novel a few times. Got bored real fast and stopped. I guess it's just not for me.
@SimplyBrazen It would be nice if you tried writing a light novel too
Aug 10, 12:16 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Guilmon1
@otaku2000anime good luck with the LN
@Guilmon1 Thanks, good luck to you in the manga too
Aug 10, 12:16 PM

Sep 2016
otaku2000anime said:
the main characters are two sisters

Don't forget to add some yuri sister incest.
Aug 10, 12:17 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to otaku2000anime
@JaniSIr If you had continued, maybe you could have produced beautiful works. Who knows?
@otaku2000anime No. It was never meant to be.
Aug 10, 12:18 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to ALEXxAMI
I used to write short stories and poems when I was in middle and high school, but sadly the only writing I do now is research papers lol.

I also made a comic book once, horrible art and all.

I did have an idea for a novel back in the day, but I never really gave it serious consideration.
@ALEXxAMI I would like to see your comics, but if you can write stories and poems, I think you can write a novel
Aug 10, 12:19 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
otaku2000anime said:
the main characters are two sisters

Don't forget to add some yuri sister incest.
@Zarutaku Leone is in love with her sister, Melony will betray and kill her sister in the first of the finals.
Aug 10, 12:21 PM
May 2021
No,I even haven't read one completely😅.
But,BIG Respect and Force to you👍
Aug 10, 12:23 PM

Sep 2016
Reply to otaku2000anime
@Zarutaku Leone is in love with her sister, Melony will betray and kill her sister in the first of the finals.
@otaku2000anime oho? that sounds interesting.
Aug 10, 12:24 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to RyogiSHIKI7
No,I even haven't read one completely😅.
But,BIG Respect and Force to you👍
@RyogiSHIKI7 Thank you, I think you will find a light novel that you will like if you try it.
Aug 10, 12:25 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to Zarutaku
@otaku2000anime oho? that sounds interesting.
@Zarutaku I'm glad you found it interesting
Aug 10, 12:29 PM
May 2021
Reply to otaku2000anime
@RyogiSHIKI7 Thank you, I think you will find a light novel that you will like if you try it.
@otaku2000anime
You're welcome;)
The problem isn't I don't like LN.
To compare to a manga it take me too much time for read.So often the desire passes me.
Moreover,since it's 99% lines,and I have the memory of a goldfish,If I make pause like 1 week I forgot about a lot.
Aug 10, 12:32 PM
Dec 2023
Reply to RyogiSHIKI7
@otaku2000anime
You're welcome;)
The problem isn't I don't like LN.
To compare to a manga it take me too much time for read.So often the desire passes me.
Moreover,since it's 99% lines,and I have the memory of a goldfish,If I make pause like 1 week I forgot about a lot.
@RyogiSHIKI7 Then as you said it might not be for you
Aug 10, 12:36 PM

Aug 2013
There is a huge world of manga already and VNs, I don't see why would I read a light novel when I could just read a book instead.
LawgunAug 10, 12:41 PM
Aug 10, 12:36 PM
May 2021
Reply to otaku2000anime
@RyogiSHIKI7 Then as you said it might not be for you
@otaku2000anime
"Mada da"(😁) I will continue to try.
I wasn't liking manga in the origin.
Thus with Neketsu spirit I will one day finish my first LN💪!
Aug 10, 1:18 PM

Dec 2015
I tried, I've written a several or 20-30 pages, later I've read it, it was bad. I have deleted it and never tried again to do anything like that. It was available on Wattpad for a week or two before I decided to delete that.
The story which I tried to write was a fantasy one, inspired by The Way of Kings which back than I was reading, I've stopped reading the book so I'll need to go back into it [I've read maybe 1/4 I do remember quite a bit, despite the fact that it was in 2017, tho I'd rather reread and finish the book]

Maybe when I'll finish studying and begin reading all the books I've bought and didn't have motivation/time etc. to start them I'll have some ideas and perhaps motivation to write something, I hope at decent level.
ZettaikenAug 10, 1:21 PM
Aug 10, 2:55 PM
Oct 2019
I have not tried it, but I do have a couple of ideas that I think could make for a nice, short, fun light novel series if I ever wanted to try properly fleshing them out.
Aug 10, 3:13 PM

Jan 2020
I tired it but after a few hours I was like:

• fuck, my vocabulary is shit
  • fuck, I only have the key points and I need to tie them up somehow
  • fuck, my world-building makes no sense
  • wait, there's generative AI, right?
  • why am I doing this?
  • maybe I should get a job...

And then I closed MS Word. I mean, I don't really read literature, and I don't think I'm in the minority. At the end of the day, if ppl these days (including myself) don't care about the greats (Conan Doyle, Dazai Osamu, David Byron etc.) why would they care about my shit? Probably even my mom wouldn't.

I'll probably come back it when my mental degradation gets even worse, though.

Sorry, if I ended up being demotivating. That's not my purpose – I'm just talking about my experience.
Aug 10, 3:21 PM

Aug 2021
Every time I try to write something, I end up writing something extremely ridiculous and perverted, so I don't know if it's better to continue, maybe the world won't accept my futas who chase old men or my sadistic lolis.

Aug 10, 3:27 PM

Aug 2016
Id like to, but Im not good at drawing medieval clothes.
:v
Aug 10, 3:28 PM

Mar 2008
I havent read one before. I dont see the point in writing one if it isnt published since the point of the format is breaking things up into parts everyone can finish around the same time after release and so there isnt years between works of an author.
Aug 10, 3:36 PM

Oct 2017
I haven't really written something fictional in a long ass time. Stuff always seems to get in the way when i start thinking and i just stop working on my cretive projects because i forget about them
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Aug 10, 3:52 PM

Oct 2022
No but I've tried writing actual novels, and usually fizzle out after about 70 pages. I draw graphic novels and have 3 or 4 that I work on. But it's such hard work just to do a single page.
Aug 10, 4:01 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to AnimePedestrian

@AnimePedestrian I have 85 pages of a Fate-inspired story... and designed an incredibly beautiful servant for it and everything. It's not the settings that are hard- I'd say if worse comes to worse have it take place in your home town or any city you know well and found some inspiring locations. You know- for the Leyline locations! The thing that sucks about Fate is there's 7 damn masters and 7 servants... 14 distinct characters. If you actually thought of 7 historical people then more power to you. I definitely could not. I think I got 2, and 2 original servants, plus a couple from the Nasuverse and couldn't think of anymore.
Aug 10, 4:15 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SuperAdventure
@AnimePedestrian I have 85 pages of a Fate-inspired story... and designed an incredibly beautiful servant for it and everything. It's not the settings that are hard- I'd say if worse comes to worse have it take place in your home town or any city you know well and found some inspiring locations. You know- for the Leyline locations! The thing that sucks about Fate is there's 7 damn masters and 7 servants... 14 distinct characters. If you actually thought of 7 historical people then more power to you. I definitely could not. I think I got 2, and 2 original servants, plus a couple from the Nasuverse and couldn't think of anymore.
@SuperAdventure

Oddly I found the servants super easy, I ended up with plenty for my DND.

14 original servants, plus an additional Assassin cause plot reasons.

And in that version my plot was a post fifth/trifas war set in an alternative timeline.

That's the one I carried over into my current idea, but sometimes I feel I'm either limiting myself or over expanding.

Currently I have three sets of servants, then a Ruler, the extra Assassin, and two canon servants I brought in.

The masters I've had ideas to make use of some canon characters who never got to show off much such as in the case of Corniulus Alba.

But sometimes I feel I should make completely original characters. So I'm scattered when it comes to my masters. As sometimes I want to hand craft them to match there servants more.

I did kind of like when I modified the DnD cast to mesh with there servants.

But I feel I need to go back to the drawing board in many respects and really refine the cast in a final past. Expanding, trimming and cutting where I need to.

[/center]
Aug 10, 6:01 PM

Oct 2022
Reply to AnimePedestrian
@SuperAdventure

Oddly I found the servants super easy, I ended up with plenty for my DND.

14 original servants, plus an additional Assassin cause plot reasons.

And in that version my plot was a post fifth/trifas war set in an alternative timeline.

That's the one I carried over into my current idea, but sometimes I feel I'm either limiting myself or over expanding.

Currently I have three sets of servants, then a Ruler, the extra Assassin, and two canon servants I brought in.

The masters I've had ideas to make use of some canon characters who never got to show off much such as in the case of Corniulus Alba.

But sometimes I feel I should make completely original characters. So I'm scattered when it comes to my masters. As sometimes I want to hand craft them to match there servants more.

I did kind of like when I modified the DnD cast to mesh with there servants.

But I feel I need to go back to the drawing board in many respects and really refine the cast in a final past. Expanding, trimming and cutting where I need to.
@AnimePedestrian

I would say you should definitely, if writing long fiction, write original characters. I don't know for LNs or DNDs. This was what made it hard for me to do. I focused only on a handful of characters and the main romance (which just became too cringe after a while) Fate was originally a love story, so I took only the basic idea of that and 'holy grail war' with masters and servants but literally everything else is original. Even the mechanics of how the grail comes about and its history are original. Original locations are best in fate, Fuyuki City isn't even a real place after all
Aug 10, 6:20 PM

Jan 2021
Reply to SuperAdventure
@AnimePedestrian

I would say you should definitely, if writing long fiction, write original characters. I don't know for LNs or DNDs. This was what made it hard for me to do. I focused only on a handful of characters and the main romance (which just became too cringe after a while) Fate was originally a love story, so I took only the basic idea of that and 'holy grail war' with masters and servants but literally everything else is original. Even the mechanics of how the grail comes about and its history are original. Original locations are best in fate, Fuyuki City isn't even a real place after all
@SuperAdventure ah see I went more in the "hero of justice", "what it means to be a true king" approach with the servants all fighting over contrasting ideals and beliefs.

Or "what is the true nature of the Kingdom of Heaven" and "how does one obtain such a noble prize".

So it's basically a bunch of "I love holy relic" dudes XD. Truly the GAR holy grail war.

[/center]
Aug 10, 6:23 PM
Jan 2021
I've never read a LN before so I don't understand the terminology (18th episode, etc) or how long they are, but I spent four months writing a 175 page novella that I finished last month. It's ready to be published, assuming I had the connections or money to do it. In the meantime, I've been planning my next story. I'm about 75% through the outlining stage and am arranging my scenes now. I will start the actual writing in October when it stops being too hot. It should be around 350 pages if all goes well. I will definitely try to put more assets into getting that one published, even if it's just on Amazon for 99 cents. But regrettably, since I live in the US neither will ever be turned into anime adaptations, even though I think the one I'm planning now would be popular in Japan.
Aug 10, 6:38 PM

Nov 2013
Congrats OP. It takes a lot more skill and effort to create than to consume.

As a fellow human, I appreciate your contributions.
Yesterday, 5:17 AM

Jun 2024
I have some creative elements figured out, like characters, world building, and lore, but I haven’t taken the step of writing them down and integrating them into a complete, cohesive story. I'm still in the idea phase and haven’t moved on to writing, but I don't think I ever will because daydreaming is easier. Maybe in the future, I’ll consider doing it.
Yesterday, 5:40 AM
The Attack Titan

May 2019
Reply to AnimePedestrian

@AnimePedestrian holy shit a DnD with fate concept is such a good concept
we need this to be a thing
just more money for type moon obv

Yesterday, 7:20 AM

Oct 2022
Reply to AnimePedestrian
@SuperAdventure ah see I went more in the "hero of justice", "what it means to be a true king" approach with the servants all fighting over contrasting ideals and beliefs.

Or "what is the true nature of the Kingdom of Heaven" and "how does one obtain such a noble prize".

So it's basically a bunch of "I love holy relic" dudes XD. Truly the GAR holy grail war.
@AnimePedestrian Well, that's a legit idea then; it's one of the biggest ideas in th franchise, kingship. It reminds me of the conversation in Fate/Zero where Iskandar, Gilgamesh and Arturia all gather to have a 'discussion' about the grail and end up debating the ideas of true kingship. I can see how one could easily do an offshoot of that - great idea. That's the great thing about Fate and fanfiction in general is there's so many different concepts one can work with and go in a direction.
Yesterday, 7:43 AM

Jul 2021
my creative writing skills are limited to sometimes writing copy-pastas. i'm not creative enough to create new characters, i just know i will end up copying a character from something i watched a long time back. i can maybe write some short stories. i already write essay length reviews in ep discussions sometimes. nothing more. writing novels is a different kind of animal.

The end of an era. Thank you Wit, Mappa and Isayama.
Feeling half happy, half sad.

Kawaii waifus
and precious
  best girls <3333

Yesterday, 7:56 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to BerriesSan
@AnimePedestrian holy shit a DnD with fate concept is such a good concept
we need this to be a thing
just more money for type moon obv
@BerriesSan There's something called Lost Continuum which has most of the base rules for Masters;

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LxOWX0sXz0Ejndlj7gt

A second version was created covering Dead Apostles and Burial Agents as well as a few other classes of magus.

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-MsYOryZfMK0qHPjvExm

And then I in my infinite wisdom create what I could for a servant guide, covering class specific skills and feats to make them comparable with Masters and boosted HP and so on. In no means was it finished, but I worked out some of the worse kinks.

https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-NkB1et3Z5Bd6R_WL_mD

[/center]
Yesterday, 8:14 AM

Jan 2021
Reply to SuperAdventure
@AnimePedestrian Well, that's a legit idea then; it's one of the biggest ideas in th franchise, kingship. It reminds me of the conversation in Fate/Zero where Iskandar, Gilgamesh and Arturia all gather to have a 'discussion' about the grail and end up debating the ideas of true kingship. I can see how one could easily do an offshoot of that - great idea. That's the great thing about Fate and fanfiction in general is there's so many different concepts one can work with and go in a direction.
@SuperAdventure Yeah, it was cool in the few sessions it worked seeing the players and there servants slowly develop bonds and such. But those moments were rare, if the idea ever develops beyond some sketches and stuff hopefully I can share some links and such.

[/center]
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Have you ever grown to dislike your favorite anime?

SimplyBrazen - 11 hours ago

26 by RainyEvenings »»
3 seconds ago

» Do you believe in "problematic content" being a thing?

Dragevard - 1 hour ago

8 by thewiru »»
2 minutes ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - May 8

48 by NoelleIsSleepy »»
3 minutes ago

» RATE MY LIST OUTA 1O AND DESCRIBE ME IN 3 WORDS

Ldemp78 - 4 hours ago

3 by KayKimii »»
3 minutes ago

» Battle shounen being misunderstood on this website

Kenzolo-folk - 3 hours ago

15 by Brunilde »»
4 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.