Forum Settings
Forums

"Death Game" anime and what do you think about them.

New
Jul 10, 4:40 PM

Mar 2020
I've noticed that in the past few years there has been an increase in "Death Game" series.
For those who might not be familiar with the term, it refers to series that a bunch of character are pitted against each other
in a fight to the death (it might not necessarily be fighting, but they battle in some way until one is dead).
Now, I don't think these series have had any great success so far. looking at the scores and audience reactions most of them seem
to be average at best.

I have to admit that series like these are not for me. I'm not the target audience by a long shot. So I just wanted to ask:
1) Do you like them and if you do, what do you find appealing?
2) Do you think there is a large enough audience to keep the genre alive, despite the low-to-average scores?
Jul 10, 4:50 PM

Jun 2016
I never got the appeal and I don't understand why there's so many of them. Even the ones I like I still consider them to be a bit dumb at places.
MEA·MENTVLA·INGENS·EST
Jul 10, 4:51 PM

May 2019
No, i'm not a big fan of death games that don't involve a battle royale.

There's an audience for everything, the size is relative but the quality matters.
Jul 10, 4:53 PM

Nov 2013
I think any growth in "death game" plots follows more or less the same trajectory as most anime.

The trope is used a lot as a fake plot device for comedies, isekai, etc. because it's pretty well understood. So, perhaps this reference has also caused a perceived growth in its actual utilization.

1.) The trope's been done well and poorly in equal measure. They lend themselves well to a weekly or monthly serialization format, because you can backstory and kill off a character in each episode/chapter. These shine when displaying strong character writing, or a compelling intrigue narrative.

2.) There is not an audience for this specific trope. The actual quantity of anime/manga featuring death games (not as a satire) is small relatively speaking. They will continue to exist, because they're well structured for serializations.
Jul 10, 5:01 PM

Oct 2013
They're alright. The ones I've seen are pretty dumb, but they're usually a fun watch. I haven't watched the supposed worst one, Ousama Game yet though.
Jul 10, 5:02 PM

Jul 2013
I smell a conspiracy behind it. It must be one! Nobody can be involved in such sketchy shit without being part of some super-evil conspiracy!
Jul 10, 5:08 PM

Feb 2020
Love the genre.
It's probably one of my most favourite in not just Anime, but other media also, ever since watching Battle Royale years ago now - which is my favourite movie.
I just think it can produce some great plots, especially the taboo aspect of taking someone's life, even if means saving your own. And that life could be your childhood friend or lover depending on the circumstances.
Saying that though, I haven't seen many types of Anime that really do this genre totally well like Battle Royale did for me.
I loved Tenkuu Shinpan, even though that was not totally perfect.
Jul 10, 5:22 PM
Jan 2022
My favorite guilty pleasure genre. They're some great popcorn fun even if they aren't written well. There are some genuinely good ones tho.
Jul 10, 6:48 PM

Apr 2008
I have seen a few of them and most of the time they just didn't appeal to me character wise or plot wise because they both just seem shallow and uninteresting. If anything they are just kind of fun to watch. The only one I really liked that I have seen is Tomodachi Game and that is just because I enjoyed seeing Yuuichi Katagiri acting like a complete asshole 😅. I just started watching Tasuuketsu it seems okay so far but I have only seen the first episode so time will tell.
Jul 10, 8:29 PM
Jul 2018
Honestly, I'll just say this... as someone who has seen a few, they're definitely not for everyone.

But then again, that is just media in general, we should have as many diverse anime as possible, whether it be the genres, the story, the characters, or even the art style.

But what I do know, is a LOT of these kind of anime, also tend to have some banger music and themes. So really, like with other genres, they're starting to be overdone, but that's clearly a sign that it works.

Like, probably the majority of the community hates on genres like this or isekai, yet clearly they're still going strong, so apparently they're doing something right.
Jul 11, 1:53 AM

Sep 2016
I avoid anime about games because I'm not interested in fictional game mechanics.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 11, 2:03 AM

Jun 2024
Sadly, most of them are total trash 😫
Jul 11, 2:30 AM
Apr 2022
to me death game anime has become way too predictable

in theory, the probability of who's gonna be the final survivor should be 1/(number of participants), but i usually know who's gonna live at the end just from watching the first episode (spoiler: it's the main protagonist)

after we established who's gonna live at the end, it's time to treat other participants as mindless props to do some stupid things that eventually get themselves horribly killed. meanwhile, the virtuous protagonist does nothing of that sort cus killing someone for reducing the number is bad, but killing for self preservation or revenge is good. i guess it's a sure way to make the audience safe to root for the character, but i think it's a bit overused. i also find they make the protagonist OP like having way more IQ than other participants, it's rare to find opponents way more cleverer than the protagonist, making him at his wit's end. now it's basically just a goody smartypants beating down the baddy weaklings and somehow people enjoy this on repeat
Jul 11, 2:47 AM

Apr 2018
In concept, I think it sounds like a great and interesting idea, yet most of them end up being completely dumb and stupid or fail at making it engagin in the long run (there are some that even decay after just like 5 chapters). I think that at least in manga the greatest "death game" out there is Imawa no kuni no alice. Manga usually makes this genre more gruesome and edgy as to gain the lector to continue consuming it, which translate to what we get in almost every death game anime. Right now there is one airing called Tasuuketsu and you can see the result, probably the successor of Ousama game (the worst of all of the genre)
Jul 11, 3:23 AM

Oct 2019
Unless you count death parade pretty much all of them suck, but I FUCKING LOVE THEM!!

at least the ones that are edgy and pver the top. bonus points for good animation.

Mirrai nikki, gelipnir and even tomodachi game were more fun than most good shows that I have seen.
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
Jul 11, 3:31 AM

Jul 2023
overhype and shit as forever... lol
Talent is something to nurture, and wisdom is something to hone

Jul 11, 4:00 AM

Mar 2009
The only time I kind of liked a death game movie or such was the 2000 Japanese movie battle royal but it had a good story.
Other than that I never cared it´s just a dumb silly idea to make a movie or a game about pointless murder for fun. Doing what Roman did during the roman empire. Lets have death as entertainment.

I don´t see the enjoyment at all.
Jul 11, 4:41 AM

Mar 2023
Most of them fails to see what made Battle Royale great in the first place.
Jul 11, 4:45 AM

Aug 2013
I'm not a huge fan, I haven't seen that many, because I struggle with them to stay invested & stick till the end. I don't know if I grow weary of the constant senseless killing or the annoying dialogues/monologues.

Maybe I had bad luck and I have picked the weaker ones to watch while ignoring the good ones? Gimme some titles of the good ones :D

Manhwa examples:
- I'm reading a very interesting manhwa now about the heroes in a gacha game, heroes can die permadeath and I really like that aspect. Always builts tension during main missions. The art is 10/10 aswell, beautifull and well represented in combat, the way the MC grabs the enemy sword and cleaves it straight in the enemies head was subarashi.

- Another great manhwa is L.A.G., at the start of this story the MC already has died a couple of times in this mysterious maze dungeon while maintaining his memory of previous runs. So he has some prior knowledge that is helpfull in the beginning, but things spiral out of his control this time and it's yet another bitter fight for survival. Along the way he meets others and MC always gotta be extra carefull as to trust them or not, they could backstab you to grab your souls, you know? The dungeon can forcefully split your current team up and hopefully be reunited later or not at all... Death looms behind every corner. The art is very comparable to Western comic book style so it's a welcoming refreshing change.

Conclusion:
So yeah I like the death of characters, but somehow these death games anime aren't appealing enough, I don't know why exactly. Maybe while thinking I don't want to much dialogue, I kinda need it to attach myself to the characters so they could have a more meaningfull death later on? Maybe death games are just way to forced and often don't make a lot of sense, because of all the excessive senseless killing?
I don't know who quotes me and then deletes the comment, but know that you make my day.

STEAM's GOTY 2024 the Ghost of Tsushima

OMFG THE HYPE IS REAL!!! ELDEN RING SHADOW OF THE ERDTREE wOOt!! F YEAH LET'S F GOOOOOO!!!

Just saw LiSA 10th anniversary concert live! It was very fun!
Jul 11, 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
Reply to Adverrito
to me death game anime has become way too predictable

in theory, the probability of who's gonna be the final survivor should be 1/(number of participants), but i usually know who's gonna live at the end just from watching the first episode (spoiler: it's the main protagonist)

after we established who's gonna live at the end, it's time to treat other participants as mindless props to do some stupid things that eventually get themselves horribly killed. meanwhile, the virtuous protagonist does nothing of that sort cus killing someone for reducing the number is bad, but killing for self preservation or revenge is good. i guess it's a sure way to make the audience safe to root for the character, but i think it's a bit overused. i also find they make the protagonist OP like having way more IQ than other participants, it's rare to find opponents way more cleverer than the protagonist, making him at his wit's end. now it's basically just a goody smartypants beating down the baddy weaklings and somehow people enjoy this on repeat
Adverrito said:
after we established who's gonna live at the end, it's time to treat other participants as mindless props to do some stupid things that eventually get themselves horribly killed.

I do not agree that death games are predictable. There's always the posibility of multiple survivors, especially when the goal is survival rather than killing. Visual novels may also offer alternate endings in which the protagonist dies.
その目だれの目?
Jul 11, 10:34 AM

Jul 2021
Mirai Nikki was pretty good, Btoom was dogshit.
I avoided the rest.
Actually, Fate counts as a death game, UBW Abridged is amazing.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 11, 12:16 PM
Apr 2022
Reply to Lucifrost
Adverrito said:
after we established who's gonna live at the end, it's time to treat other participants as mindless props to do some stupid things that eventually get themselves horribly killed.

I do not agree that death games are predictable. There's always the posibility of multiple survivors, especially when the goal is survival rather than killing. Visual novels may also offer alternate endings in which the protagonist dies.
@Lucifrost i dont watch visual novels, and yeah, there can be multiple survivors including the main protagonist. My point was the main protagonist is conveniently guaranteed to survive even though death can come randomly to everyone in the given situation. I agree there can be some unpredictability on who will survive or not if there are multiple survivors.

Tasuuketsu is a death game anime in this season that i recently watched and dropped after ep2. It was so obvious to me who the survivor will be just by watching the first episode that it may have impacted me to have a negative outlook on the genre as a whole. Maybe watch it if you are interested
Jul 11, 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
Reply to Seven
I have seen a few of them and most of the time they just didn't appeal to me character wise or plot wise because they both just seem shallow and uninteresting. If anything they are just kind of fun to watch. The only one I really liked that I have seen is Tomodachi Game and that is just because I enjoyed seeing Yuuichi Katagiri acting like a complete asshole 😅. I just started watching Tasuuketsu it seems okay so far but I have only seen the first episode so time will tell.
Seven said:

Pretty much the same here minus Tasuuketsu (which I PTW) as most of the time I just try to enjoy it for what it is. Although, I do like the concept of a death game.
Yesterday, 6:28 AM

Jan 2018
this setting may not flourish if they can't show blood and gore. psychological element can be present so it should be worthwhile to watch it but it can be hard to fit it in one season

not many writer can do it, many obvious plot holes can ruin it.
Yesterday, 12:31 PM
Jul 2024
Actually for some reason, yes to one. I guess the Romans knew what they were doing back in the Day. LOL
Also, yes to 2. Heck, SAO was most interesting when it was a Death Game. And I'm still waiting for another Season of Darwin's Game. ( Amongst 2-3 others)
3 hours ago

Dec 2012
I liked:

BTOOOM!
Deadman Wonderland
Darwin's Game
Death Parade
Future Diary

But I don't go out of my way to watch them. Especially, since only 2 of those were actually complete and the rest just stop....

Kruszer3 hours ago
"The name's Gambit. Remember it."
-Gambit "X-Men '97"

More topics from this board

» Who Is The Most Annoying Person on MyAnimeList?

Hiimoohiii - 6 hours ago

35 by Theo1899 »»
1 minute ago

» Who is the worst protagonist of all anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

Skylar-whoo - Yesterday

156 by Vaixen »»
9 minutes ago

» If you skipped the OP or ED for even a single episode you didn't watch the show

ItsXolo - 6 hours ago

19 by JustMaya »»
10 minutes ago

» Organon - the Best Weapon in Anime

Hiimoohiii - 2 hours ago

8 by Catalano »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Most emotional shounen

nirererin - 5 hours ago

13 by Zettaiken »»
20 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.