Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 9:38 AM

Feb 2024
We know a lot of anime have poor worldbuilding but which one is the worst?
Jul 7, 11:15 AM

Sep 2016
https://myanimelist.net/anime/32294/Ai_ONA
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jul 7, 12:18 PM

Dec 2020
I wouldn't say it is the worst, but the most disappointing to me is without a doubt Jujutsu Kaisen. Its world had so much potential to be incredibly interesting and Gege just decided to shit on anything that was even mildly amusing.
But if we are talking worst it probably is something like Platinum End.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jul 7, 1:58 PM

Jul 2021
Neon Genesis Evangelion
They literally just throw words around because it sounds cool.
Jul 7, 2:34 PM

Oct 2013
Reply to JaniSIr
Neon Genesis Evangelion
They literally just throw words around because it sounds cool.
@JaniSIr This. I consider utterly basic and generic worldbuilding techniques better than just throwing random things "because they sound cool" into the plot for the sake of making it look as better than it actually is.
Jul 7, 2:40 PM

Apr 2020
Is no world building better than messy world building?

If so, then the worst world building would be something that actively hurts the enjoyment of everything else the show has to offer.
ow + nw = 90-2000s

Jul 7, 2:44 PM

Aug 2017
I don't like much worlds where whatever the protagonists are doing are treated as the center of the universe (sports series worldbuilding or idol worldbuilding) or the world is constantly in danger (or worse was destroyed once) and everyone act like nothing. Worst worldbuildings series are: Love Live! (idol), Blue Lock (sports), DBZ (shounen)

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jul 7, 3:13 PM

Dec 2018
Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki. It starts off well, with some sense and initially it's a nice strategic isekai.

Then at a certain point the author must have run out of ideas, because everything goes to hell and turns into one of the most painful and mindless harems I've ever seen. What makes it worse is that up until that point there's a more than decent job of world building, then suddenly the average IQ of the characters drops in half and the plot and world building goes into a downward spiral.
Jul 8, 1:29 PM

Oct 2022
This one:
"Honk honk" followed by a non-animated picture of a delivery truck, a noise, screen goes black, then a young male narrator says "I didn't even get to try French fries" or something similar, then some scene where there's a monster or cute girl against a black background saying something, and a generic green and blue fantasy world, "Sugoi!!" and stat screen comes up-
Whichever one that comes from, probably more than 100 isekais.
Jul 8, 1:31 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Shiroyaki
Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha no Oukoku Saikenki. It starts off well, with some sense and initially it's a nice strategic isekai.

Then at a certain point the author must have run out of ideas, because everything goes to hell and turns into one of the most painful and mindless harems I've ever seen. What makes it worse is that up until that point there's a more than decent job of world building, then suddenly the average IQ of the characters drops in half and the plot and world building goes into a downward spiral.
@Shiroyaki Oh god, I'm so mad about that, the harem part totally makes it unwatchable.
Jul 8, 1:52 PM

Apr 2020
probably jujutsu kaisen. i love it but this dude does not give a shit about worldbuilding lol
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 1:57 PM

Jul 2023
Boushoko no Berserk had some memorably poor worldbuilding, and I recall some disappointment with Tensai Ouji no Akaji Kokka Saisei Jutsu for similar reasons of lackluster execution, despite the scope of the setting being presented as large. The average seasonal isekai/fantasy-adventure series has gotten into the habit of copying and pasting so many of the same elements into its setting; fantasy races inexplicably exist without any reason or well-meaning merit, possessing no remarkable attributes or narrative points of interest to help distinguish them from every other iteration; great artifacts and items are added without any accounting of why they should exist in the first place; many plot points and storylines are re-hashed with new characterizations, but nothing in the way of twists or turns.

For as much content as there is for fantasy settings, there is little in the way of innovation.
Jul 8, 1:57 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
probably jujutsu kaisen. i love it but this dude does not give a shit about worldbuilding lol
@Kenzolo-folk I like his work in general, but it amuses me that even ardent fans of the title say that Gege can't explain how things work in his manga lmao.
Jul 8, 2:00 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@Kenzolo-folk I like his work in general, but it amuses me that even ardent fans of the title say that Gege can't explain how things work in his manga lmao.
@RobertBobert

how things work in his manga in a nutshell:

Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2:01 PM

Mar 2013
@JaniSIr

I always "enjoyed" or appreciate Neon Genesis Evangelion for its characters, but I have to agree. The worldbuilding and the overarching narrative are the weakest points of the series while the characters are the most contentious besides the superficial religious references.

@DarkFirefly72

Yeah, killing Yuki off was one of the most pointless deaths imaginable, or she was most pointless character in the series. How can you introduce someone who has an interesting idea about one of the most central conflicts within the world of Jujutsu Kaisen and then kill them off in their first major fight? The only purposed her character serves is to refer to a more interesting direction the story could have taken than the one we have gotten.

OT: To put my hat into the ring, maybe Akame Ga Kill? Classroom of the Elite also comes to mine. I think the most "upsetting" or "anger inducing" was Irregular at Magic High School, the latter of which is the type of fanfic I expect a boomer to write about how all the youth are lazy as shit. Classroom of the Elite falls into a similar trap but its major issue to me is wanting to be smart while failing to create a realistic and functional world, rather than trying to push any single message.

Akame Ga Kill just does not have worldbuilding despite being a fantasy anime that hints to this sort of stuff. The worst to me is how uninterest the series is in exploring how the empire degraded over time and how this really affect society, as the show demonstrates no interest in its setting other than an excuse for subpar action sequences.

...I will also say Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is also exceptionally mediocre, but has a cool design aesthetic at least.
Jul 8, 2:01 PM

Mar 2023
Too much isekai to mention. Most of them are just the poor man's versions of DnD.
Jul 8, 2:06 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@RobertBobert

@Kenzolo-folk So the problem with clarifying things is really an internal meme of the community? Damn, I never thought there would be an autor of magic title that made Sato blush with his techno bubbles in Mahouka.
Jul 8, 2:19 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to RobertBobert
@Kenzolo-folk So the problem with clarifying things is really an internal meme of the community? Damn, I never thought there would be an autor of magic title that made Sato blush with his techno bubbles in Mahouka.
@RobertBobert

the inside jokes in the fanbase is almost better than the actual series. the fans just make fun of the author 😭
Jul 8, 2:20 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@RobertBobert

@Kenzolo-folk and that's why muscle magic is the best
Jul 8, 2:27 PM
Apr 2024
Reply to RobertBobert
@RobertBobert he had 4 mini chapters about how he learned Gojo's power doesn't work mathematically and only works in engineering
Jul 8, 2:28 PM

Apr 2020
Reply to JaniSIr
@Kenzolo-folk and that's why muscle magic is the best
@JaniSIr

havent seen it but im 100% sure its more balanced than whatever is goin on in jjk
Jul 8, 2:33 PM

Dec 2014
All For One ruling Japan with such an iron fist that other country's governments know to fear him for almost a century and that not influencing Japan's history in any way is absurd.

Apparently punching the bad man really, really hard also stopped his followers from seeking revenge or any destruction caused by infighting for power in a criminal organization large enough to terrorize Japan. Hell, he didn't even die, so he just lost sometime in Deku's childhood and his influence just vanished except for one doctor, Gigantomachia and Shigaraki.

Jul 8, 2:40 PM

Apr 2012
Reply to Guilmon1
@RobertBobert he had 4 mini chapters about how he learned Gojo's power doesn't work mathematically and only works in engineering
@Guilmon1 He should definitely make friends with Sato, who once devoted two or one and a half pages to describing how trains work in his future setting.

@Shiroyaki Sometimes it seems to me that every animanga author has a secret button that, if necessary, turns any work into a harem/silly romcom/yuri or BL bai or into a feast of fanservice in general.
RobertBobertJul 8, 2:44 PM
Jul 8, 2:56 PM
Feb 2022
It's currently airing. Watch "Tasuuketsu" if you wanna see a trainwreck.
Jul 8, 3:07 PM

Dec 2020
Reply to PeripheralVision
@JaniSIr

I always "enjoyed" or appreciate Neon Genesis Evangelion for its characters, but I have to agree. The worldbuilding and the overarching narrative are the weakest points of the series while the characters are the most contentious besides the superficial religious references.

@DarkFirefly72

Yeah, killing Yuki off was one of the most pointless deaths imaginable, or she was most pointless character in the series. How can you introduce someone who has an interesting idea about one of the most central conflicts within the world of Jujutsu Kaisen and then kill them off in their first major fight? The only purposed her character serves is to refer to a more interesting direction the story could have taken than the one we have gotten.

OT: To put my hat into the ring, maybe Akame Ga Kill? Classroom of the Elite also comes to mine. I think the most "upsetting" or "anger inducing" was Irregular at Magic High School, the latter of which is the type of fanfic I expect a boomer to write about how all the youth are lazy as shit. Classroom of the Elite falls into a similar trap but its major issue to me is wanting to be smart while failing to create a realistic and functional world, rather than trying to push any single message.

Akame Ga Kill just does not have worldbuilding despite being a fantasy anime that hints to this sort of stuff. The worst to me is how uninterest the series is in exploring how the empire degraded over time and how this really affect society, as the show demonstrates no interest in its setting other than an excuse for subpar action sequences.

...I will also say Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is also exceptionally mediocre, but has a cool design aesthetic at least.
@PeripheralVision Not only things like Yuki, but also more background info that could have been way more expanded upon. The different clans (especially the Gojo clan) were basically non existent in the story for the most part, almost every character since the Calling Games started was either hyped and killed, misused or had not even 1 panel of character work since then, and essentially every interesting background plot point (like a possible flashback from the Heian Era) has been forgotten.
"Those words are meant for those that dare defy god's final warning... An epigraph of their stubbornness"
- Maho Hiyajo (Steins;Gate 0)
Jul 8, 3:59 PM
Jun 2019
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Kenzolo-folk I feel that gege tries too hard to explain how the habilites of his characters work in a real world and then realizes it doesn't even make sense, so he just kills everyone off.
Dude could just go "some magic stuff happened and that's how it works" instead of "in the real world this would make sense, but I can't explain it"
Jul 8, 3:59 PM
Jun 2019
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@Kenzolo-folk I feel that gege tries too hard to explain how the habilites of his characters work in a real world and then realizes it doesn't even make sense, so he just kills everyone off.
Dude could just go "some magic stuff happened and that's how it works" instead of "in the real world this would make sense, but I can't explain it"
Jul 8, 6:19 PM

Mar 2021
JoeChip said:

Just about any modern seasonal throw-aways from your typical Trashy Highschool Harems to the most generic rom-coms that typically also revolve around Highschool settings. Basically any Anime with a Highschool setting have the worst worldbuilding. This is mostly due to the fact every Highschool in Japan is pretty much built exactly the same.

They are standardized designs of two buildings connected by walkways. The classrooms are always facing the central hallway consisting of a flat roof and then a fence around a track field. Japan has mastered cloning the Highschool educational experience across the nation from required school uniforms to the clone buildings they are taught in. There is very little creative thinking when it comes to world building around school themed Anime.
ColourWheelJul 8, 6:22 PM
Jul 8, 7:42 PM

Nov 2019
Worst worldbuilding

this has to be BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense, this shit was so fucking boring, dont care, maybe the second season will be better, worst anime on this site and I watch the lowest rated anime on this site so that says alot.
Jul 8, 11:04 PM

Jul 2021
Reply to Kenzolo-folk
@JaniSIr

havent seen it but im 100% sure its more balanced than whatever is goin on in jjk
@Kenzolo-folk Mashle is honestly not particularly good, I just like that the guy is basically a gym bro.
But yea, the best fight scenes are with no super powers just punching and stuff.
Jul 8, 11:22 PM

Feb 2014
Imma go with Kamisama Dolls. I picked it because Aki and Kyohei's tragic past is a secret. Hibino is the only character who shouldn't be aware of this tragic story. Everyone else was present in their village at the time, so even if they don't talk about it (and mind you people talk) it would have been hard to keep this a secret. This makes the secret for the sake of the viewer, which in the end is pointless as it's revelation holds no bearing on the story itself. It just justifies Kyohei's attitude towards being a seki which didn't need to be a secret from us. They could have told us in episode one and it wouldn't change our feelings to these characters one way or the other. So the world they built up on this secret has no logical foundation.
My sword has shown me the truth... I was a rapist! A monster! A vampire! I deserved to die!
I deserved to be sent here...to never see Rebecca again. I am truly in Hell! So I may as well ENJOY IT!
Jul 9, 12:21 AM
Apr 2024
Reply to desusama
All For One ruling Japan with such an iron fist that other country's governments know to fear him for almost a century and that not influencing Japan's history in any way is absurd.

Apparently punching the bad man really, really hard also stopped his followers from seeking revenge or any destruction caused by infighting for power in a criminal organization large enough to terrorize Japan. Hell, he didn't even die, so he just lost sometime in Deku's childhood and his influence just vanished except for one doctor, Gigantomachia and Shigaraki.

desusama said:

I love mha but since first read it didn't make sense, at least the police should know about him so probably some other heroes to and news spread fast
Jul 9, 2:51 AM

Feb 2023
Reply to Animeinsight101
Worst worldbuilding

this has to be BOFURI: I Don't Want to Get Hurt, so I'll Max Out My Defense, this shit was so fucking boring, dont care, maybe the second season will be better, worst anime on this site and I watch the lowest rated anime on this site so that says alot.
@Animeinsight101
Ah, it's you again
Maybe you should start watching anime you are actually interested in to not get bored^^

How is the worldbuilding for the New World Online game bad in any way? While the skills and the conditions how you unlock them are sometimes just too broken for an actual MMO, it always appears like some developer had good intentions about them and either Maple's skills work beautifully with each other to exploit them or her absurd luck somehow lets her find stuff nobody would have gotten otherwise. Just reading through all the skill descriptions and having the other players' natural reactions through the game chat is a treat. Everything about the game world perfectly captures the feeling of just diving into a new video game and having fun.

It's a comedy about playing a game and making friends. If you were bored because it didn't have enough conflict or high stakes, then I don't think the worldbuilding is the real issue here.
Jul 9, 2:59 AM

Feb 2024
Of shitty shows I watched, I think both Log Horizon and Darling in the Franxx have some terrible world building.

Of good ones, I would mention From the new World as a major disappointment in terms of world-building.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jul 9, 7:57 AM

Feb 2024
Reply to ColourWheel
JoeChip said:

Just about any modern seasonal throw-aways from your typical Trashy Highschool Harems to the most generic rom-coms that typically also revolve around Highschool settings. Basically any Anime with a Highschool setting have the worst worldbuilding. This is mostly due to the fact every Highschool in Japan is pretty much built exactly the same.

They are standardized designs of two buildings connected by walkways. The classrooms are always facing the central hallway consisting of a flat roof and then a fence around a track field. Japan has mastered cloning the Highschool educational experience across the nation from required school uniforms to the clone buildings they are taught in. There is very little creative thinking when it comes to world building around school themed Anime.
@ColourWheel

High school is always written as two words and it's not capitalized. Also, setting and worldbuilding are completely different things.
Jul 9, 9:16 AM

Mar 2021
Reply to JoeChip
@ColourWheel

High school is always written as two words and it's not capitalized. Also, setting and worldbuilding are completely different things.
@JoeChip

I didn't know writing mechanics really mattered, specifically since this is an informal forum.

Also I disagree with you. Settings are apart of world building even if one could look at both and see them as two separate things. If one is simply being picky about this then simply look at the the unoriginal world building of any generic Anime that just takes place on Earth where a high school setting would simply just dumb things down more.
ColourWheelJul 9, 9:20 AM
Jul 9, 1:50 PM

Sep 2021
I haven't watched enough trash to know what the worst is, but Demon Hunter has bad world building. There are demons and there are demon hunters and any organizations are too stupid to exist.

More topics from this board

» Why your profile picture is your profile picture? ( 1 2 3 )

Zakatsuki_ - Yesterday

110 by ZakuF_ »»
9 minutes ago

» What can you learn from anime friend(s)?

SgtBateMan - Today

16 by SgtBateMan »»
10 minutes ago

» You can defeat AI sympathizers with this simple fact

LenRea - 1 hour ago

4 by APolygons2 »»
20 minutes ago

» Do you consider yourself a weeb? ( 1 2 )

Dragevard - 9 hours ago

52 by thewiru »»
29 minutes ago

» Anime regrets

JoeChip - Today

12 by MinakoBestGirl »»
33 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.