Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sound! Euphonium (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Jun 2, 1:28 AM

Dec 2021
The whole band is a mess right now, lol.

Complete meritocracy—the unexpected audition results send shockwaves through the department. Members are on edge like never before, far from the notion of "enjoying the sound" that Hashimoto preaches. Even now, Hashimoto tries to lighten the mood, and to a certain degree, he succeeds. Kumiko is no exception; she tries to maintain her usual composure but cannot conceal her unease. It's in this state that Hisaishi approaches Kumiko to try to comfort and lift her spirits. Later, all the members light some poppers.

Damn, you know things are bad when not even Hashimoto's corny old jokes can lift everyone from their gloomy state. Then there's Mayu, who has unknowingly turned into a natural-born sadist, attacking Kumiko without realizing it. And of course, there's the question of whether Taki's decision is the right one—he's clearly striving for the best possible outcome, but it's obvious he's struggling. But then there's Reina. Since kindness isn't enough to win, the only option is to cut it off, exactly what she has done to Kumiko.

We're now in the final quarter of the season.

Jun 2, 1:28 AM

May 2020
Sorry, but the results were so fucking predictable and so infuriating, a small fun joke not gonna break the contrived tension there. Moreover, with Mayu still acting considerate of Kumiko was just like rubbing a big bowl of salt into the wound. Glad Kumiko at least asked for some space. I mean I don’t know what they are planning with this unneeded drama. If it is to push Kumiko to the limits where she’d make a grand comeback at the nationals, this is just not the way.

Also, Kumiko faking with her words by belittling herself every time and saying Mayu was the right choice is kind of frustrating to hear. She still can’t be real with her words and actions, and that kind of itself is acting as a trigger with so many relationships falling apart. Not sure when we’ll get the ACTUAL competition, but with Reina being hell-bent on defending Taki over every single thing, that didn’t help much either. Pile up even more drama sigh. Not sure what Kumiko wants to talk with Taki, but hope that ain’t about vacating her president position lol.
Jun 2, 2:26 AM

May 2021
This was all very predictable and sorry to say but Kumiko has been a little frustrating lately.
We are now in the final quarter of the season so let's see how things turn out.
Jun 2, 4:02 AM
Mar 2021
watching kumiko struggle with her feelings has been fun for me heh
Jun 2, 4:07 AM

Mar 2008
Glad to see there wasn't too much gloom and doom this episode. Good to know Reina isn't being hypocritical about the decision. She is right about cutting off people to make a better band for the nationals even if it is harsh. Mayu seriously needs to cut out the being overly nice attitude and Kumiko needs to speak her mind more even if it pisses off others specially Reina.
Jun 2, 4:09 AM

Apr 2010
Kuniko needs to be more honest at times.
But ye drama was expected this episode the question is how are they going to solve it.
Reina seems pretty angry as well tho she needs to realise that Taki sensei isn't perfect even if she thinks so.
The main problem here is that no one knows what Taki sensei is thinking and no one seems to know how Kumiko and Mayu performed during the audition.
I think no one is wrong here it's just that they don't know what the other is thinking.
Jun 2, 4:14 AM

Jul 2017
Was hoping there was some real genuine build towards the competition element this season and while there still kind of is, the drama stuff in this season is... still not great and this wasn't too good. Kumiko as the president did have to play her role in not losing her head with the results and trying to maintain composure in front of everyone with her overly fake upbeat responses, didn't help that she was bombarded with people consoling her, or voicing their frustrations at Taki for the decision he made this time around, and even having to deal with Reina who ultimately loves Taki and would prioritize every single thing he says and breathes over everything else, including Kumiko in this scenario. She was bombarded by so many and didn't really have much space to herself, which makes sense given her role as a president and how beloved she is in the club but it did not help her mental state whatsoever. Mayu still wanting to give up her role and not cause conflicts because of her 'talent' even now has gotten stale, but her character has been so repetitive to watch like some others from the start of season 2 that it's hard to care for her for the time being, still waiting to get to the actual roots of what happened than wasting time doing nothing with her but the same things, over and over again.

Beyond the tensions present in the club with some of the decisions made with the audition results, Reina's leadership style is also showing some cracks and differences from Shuuichi and Kumiko with their competition to aim for nationals around the corner, which is causing even more stress around the club's atmosphere. The president's normally the one to keep it together but with the state of the auditions not helping, tension surrounds everyone. To the point of Reina and Kumiko having their first genuine fight and Reina storming away from her with calling her a failure of a president. The buildup for this dragged on for so long already with Mayu to lead to the most predictable outcome here, and more and more drama just keeps on piling up like season 2 and it's become boring to watch. Given how rushed the 2nd year stuff was to build up to this season, I wish there was more interesting or good stuff to offer than what this season has become, only glimpses being good in my memory is the conflicts Kumiko is experiencing with her final year and the direction she wants to head in life once the club is over for her. Even more actual focus on the competition itself would be nice. Kono Oto Tomare had drama and conflicts in it within the club but I felt that the anime there did a much better job in balancing the drama and growth, with the performances and genuine focus on competition stuff being showcased with their club and other schools as well to compare standards. This anime's almost becoming an all-you-can-eat buffet of forced, contrived and dragged out drama.
Jun 2, 4:30 AM

Jul 2012
Didn't think that Kumiko would be affected that hard while on the other hand Kanade kinda easliy accepted it so she will confort Kumiko this time.
Many things feel rushed this episode obv due to time limit, but wish we had to see glimpses of club members talking about audition decisions.
At least glad there was last part with Sapphire and Hazuki saying their part.
Didn't think that it will really go to Kumiko vs Reina. So next time what Taki-sensei think about all of that.
Jun 2, 4:34 AM

Nov 2010
  • "Come to torture recreation room at 22:00."
  • It was good that things progressed in this episode. Though the title of the episode is "mixed-up tuning", the story has "pre-established harmony".
  • How strong tuba sound do they want? They took a louder player before and have added another player this time. Well, as the teacher said the first grade without skill could rest in complex part, they may have to reinforce the members for that music part.
  • and congratulations, the 4th tuba player. She would be the 2nd grade who dropped from the part before.
  • Come to think of the member construction, it seemed they chose the music title by the leading members only. (I'm not sure of it since I erased the recording.) As the music regulates the construction of the band, some members may have complaint for it already.
Jun 2, 4:40 AM

Jan 2016
Holy shit people are still complaining everything that's happening is predictable even a week later...
What do you want them to do, Kumiko gets the Soli in all auditions and everyone is happy until the end? Who is going to remember such a boring ass development, jesus
Jun 2, 4:41 AM
Mar 2020
I can't even hate Mayu at this point, I was thinking that she's annoying with her overly considerate attitude but Kumiko is also at fault for really holding that "The best of the best should play" mindset grindset.

Ideal IRL scenario would be to at least maintain the fun factor and hierarchy of the club even if just small percentage, Kitauji right now is 100% balls to the wall with their goals if compared to last 2 years, they really want to win which so far it's not doing them any favors. But I still like the idea of having multiple auditions ngl, despite that the drawback is the people that failed the 2nd audition is definitely gonna be more depressed because they haven't won anything, remember, Team Monaka has won a competition but the main team hasn't, if they failed the next competition then they aren't winning anything.

Can't blame Reina and Taki-sensei either, I think students shouldn't really ask their advisor's decision ESPECIALLY if the decision is pure 50:50, it's not like Mayu and Kumiko was like Reina vs Kaori back in S1 where Reina definitely is the more skilled one.

But then again, if you want to win then this is the consequences, you shouldn't raise your hands when being asked if you want that gold or not.

In the end, nobody is actually at fault but at the same time it's everyone's fault for choosing that decision, I think Reina wouldn't be this agitated if they didn't use that "The best of the best" mindset.

But I'm all for it, this anime is goated although the pacing is still garbage.
Jun 2, 4:44 AM

Mar 2024
Kumiko is gonna explode any day now... everything just keeps piling up.
Jun 2, 4:44 AM

Mar 2023
Mayu is such an introvert anxious person that she can't stand being the center of attention, regardless of Kumiko she seems to just dislike the pressure of being the solo.
It's fitting we're ending with a Kumiko-Reina conflict. We'll see how Taki comes into play here and how Kumiko handles the final hurdle of pressure thrown at her, because this episode she was trying to hide from it as much as she could. She's frustrated by how everything was playing out and having to also balance Reina's authoritarian leadership style.

Beyond drama, this is kinda good at exemplifying leadership styles and the right answer is somewhere between those three:

Reina = Authoritarian style
Taki = Delegative style
watsymJun 2, 10:05 AM
Jun 2, 4:55 AM

Mar 2021
Really wish Kumiko was honest with her feelings and not keep things bottled up. Reina needs to realise that not everyone will/would blindly follow Taki-Sensei and his decision making without having a difference of opinion.
Jun 2, 5:13 AM
Apr 2021
i love reina but why did she say that omg
Jun 2, 5:16 AM

Oct 2022
Damn, this episode was so good.

Can't believe how things are going between Reina and Kumiko, it hurts 😭
)
Jun 2, 5:42 AM
Dec 2023
Reply to Ryushindai
Holy shit people are still complaining everything that's happening is predictable even a week later...
What do you want them to do, Kumiko gets the Soli in all auditions and everyone is happy until the end? Who is going to remember such a boring ass development, jesus
@Ryushindai Couldn’t have said it better! Everyone’s entitled to say their opinion but jesus christ what the hell are people expecting? It’s drama and slice of life not a shounen anime. Season 1 was great and I personally thought season 2 was even better. Second year felt rushed but overall it was great (not really good I really think it was great). Now comes 3rd year and this episode. I really don’t understand what do they want. Do they want Kumiko to completely drop from the competition or accept Mayu’ proposal to take her place in the soli part or spank Mayu’s ass when Maui’s tries to be nice and considerate towards Kumiko? I loved this episode. It was even more painful than last week’s episode.
Jun 2, 5:46 AM

Oct 2017
Best friends forever, one Taki sensei later, oof. *Laughs*
Jun 2, 5:55 AM

Nov 2014
And there I thought Kumiko vs Mayu this week but... Kumiko vs Reina out of nowhere lol It's hurt to see them like that :(
Jun 2, 6:12 AM
Jun 2023
Cawambar said:

After Reina said that, I really hope Kumiko can prove Reina wrong that something is not processing right with Taki Sensei, something in his decision making isn't adding up I'll be honest. Because if Mayu and Kumiko are on equal footing, that's very much true what they said, why would you choose the player that's gonna cause nothing but tension throughout the entire band and not pick Kumiko, the club president and the one who's been in the band all 3 years?? I hope to God Kumiko says something good and stands up to everyone!
LosTakeoverJun 2, 7:02 AM
Jun 2, 6:22 AM

Jul 2011
Things played like Mayu predicted. Now club morale is just barely enough to play well.

Wasn't unexpected Reina have a fight when is about Taki-sensei.

Now know whats up with Taki-sensei, that everyone in the club is talking about(except Reina).
Jun 2, 6:23 AM
Jul 2022
So, im not familiar with the LN, but there are two "events" left, + 1 casting.
We have 4 EP's left for this season.
Does anybody know or has read something about further progress?
Like, could it be a movie for the nationals or even a final season 4?
Jun 2, 6:47 AM
Aug 2021
Man, even though you can say that what Taki sensei did was in his character but after watching the all previous content I would say that probably he is smart enough to not leave Kumiko from the solo and what he did was instead out of character for him. I mean it's not like the first season that he just came and chose the best ones since he has already been teaching them for 3 years now, so giving that kind of comparison saying this is just like Reina and her senpai scene is not appropriate i would say... I mean we have seen he can read people pretty well so its weird to think that he would take such a decision cause it's obvious what would happen in the whole band man. Seems like a bit of forced drama unlike the S1 or 2. A bit disappointed to be honest, I wish it remained a great series but seems to have been getting tad bit rushed after S2. Didn't get to build up that relation between characters. I mean it's still good but man...
Jun 2, 6:50 AM
Aug 2021
Reply to LosTakeover
Cawambar said:

After Reina said that, I really hope Kumiko can prove Reina wrong that something is not processing right with Taki Sensei, something in his decision making isn't adding up I'll be honest. Because if Mayu and Kumiko are on equal footing, that's very much true what they said, why would you choose the player that's gonna cause nothing but tension throughout the entire band and not pick Kumiko, the club president and the one who's been in the band all 3 years?? I hope to God Kumiko says something good and stands up to everyone!
@LosTakeover exactly that was out of character for Taki sensei to take such a decision because he is smart and observant enough atleast to predict that such a thing would happen in the band... has he somehow turned dumb or what... weird
Jun 2, 6:57 AM
Apr 2021
Finally the peak of drama in Kitauji High School Concert Band. Kumiko's attitude as president club is tested. Next, Kumiko's question to Taki-sensei.

I'm happy when Kumiko and Kanade talk together. Mamiko appears in this episode.

Wow only 4 episodes more, I hope the pace of story still comfortable and not rush😶.
rahezJun 2, 7:02 AM
Jun 2, 7:11 AM
Jun 2023
Summerr_223 said:
@LosTakeover exactly that was out of character for Taki sensei to take such a decision because he is smart and observant enough atleast to predict that such a thing would happen in the band... has he somehow turned dumb or what... weird

What my educated guess is that from the end of episode 8, I was thinking that the only reason he picked Mayu is because he's testing Kumiko on her trying to speak up and wants her to have the attitude of, "You're wrong, I should be the one to play the soli, and I'm gonna fight and show you that I'm the only one for that!" but at the same time, it's such a risky way of trying to get the best out of Kumiko. Because now you have the drum major and club president going at each other, the whole club in discord, and you got people questioning hard about him as a teacher since again, if Kumiko and Mayu are really on equal footing, it's a no brainer you'd pick your class president. I love this drama honestly and people complaining about it need to chill, we still have 4 whole episodes left. I pray to God that Kumiko goes off on everyone and shows why SHE is the class president for a reason.
Jun 2, 7:40 AM
Oct 2023
Great episode with insane drama but there something make fell off this episode Reina meatriding taki sensei is too much not everything from taki is right I can't believe she hurt kumiko like that despite both of them are close each other Reina should understand kumiko, my girl is struggling just to do his best as the president and taki sensie on this season he look like a background character with no role
he doesn't have any screentime about him or what's is he's thinking, 4ep left how they are gonna cover all of this
Hoping Reina and kumiko get along again so we can straight go forward to competition
The Visual in this episode was so beautiful as always
kyoani doesn't miss always

(sorry for my bad grammar)
OniyushiJun 2, 4:13 PM
Jun 2, 8:06 AM

Nov 2011
People need to realize Kumiko has no one to open up to about these issues/situations because she has to play the role of president best to her abilities. She's doing what's best for the school but again has no where to go to voice her frustrations. And when she does FINALLY open up to one of her best friends she gets told something horrible. Reina is actually a bad friend in that instant because she put her personal feelings for Taki-sensei before putting herself in Kumiko's shoes.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Summer 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Jun 2, 8:12 AM
May 2016
Fuck Reina.. She Cringes
Jun 2, 8:25 AM
Oct 2020
Taki-Sensei isn't making the best or worst decision. He's simply choosing objectively on skill. Mayu was just a bit better than Kumiko this time. While I think keeping this consistency of choosing based only on skill is good it will definitely create a lot of friction. Some will like it while others don't. I think him choosing Mayu this time is fine but he definitely also knows the problems his decisions will create so he should also try to help out Kumiko and the other leadership members of the band. Reina also I know you love Taki-sensei but there's nothing wrong with some people criticizing/disagreeing with his decisions. You can't just be mad and scold people. You have to make them understand and trust Taki-sensei's decisions. Love is definitely blinding her here. Taki-sensei really needs to try and gain the trust of the first years or at least be viewed better. Only the third years have their blind trust in him but even then they're starting to question him. Only Reina is still blinding trusting him without considering anything else.

Also again Mayu giving the same shit again for the 50th time. I really feel she should've understand by now. I really hope she understands how annoying she can be asking again and again. Kumiko is doing her best as president but you're not helping by asking to forfeit or change positions again and again.
Jun 2, 8:36 AM
Level 6 esper

May 2021
Drama episode again :S
“Do what feels right in your heart. You will be criticized either way.” (Eleanor Roosevelt)
Jun 2, 8:44 AM
May 2016
Reply to Rexnihilo
Taki-Sensei isn't making the best or worst decision. He's simply choosing objectively on skill. Mayu was just a bit better than Kumiko this time. While I think keeping this consistency of choosing based only on skill is good it will definitely create a lot of friction. Some will like it while others don't. I think him choosing Mayu this time is fine but he definitely also knows the problems his decisions will create so he should also try to help out Kumiko and the other leadership members of the band. Reina also I know you love Taki-sensei but there's nothing wrong with some people criticizing/disagreeing with his decisions. You can't just be mad and scold people. You have to make them understand and trust Taki-sensei's decisions. Love is definitely blinding her here. Taki-sensei really needs to try and gain the trust of the first years or at least be viewed better. Only the third years have their blind trust in him but even then they're starting to question him. Only Reina is still blinding trusting him without considering anything else.

Also again Mayu giving the same shit again for the 50th time. I really feel she should've understand by now. I really hope she understands how annoying she can be asking again and again. Kumiko is doing her best as president but you're not helping by asking to forfeit or change positions again and again.
@Rexnihilo
I refuse to accept the he choosed based solely on skill, we got a clear statement that both Kumiko and Mayu are on the same level and there wasn’t actually a major difference that people could tell, proving that Tsubame wasn’t surprised when Mayu got elected cause of Kumiko lacking skill, ‘’ she just had a chance, same as Kumiko ‘’

I doubt that Taki sensei took this move ignoring the fact that this will disturb the band by siding the president for no actual reason, or at least in the eyes of the members.

Admitting that Taki sensei took that step knowingly that it would cause doubt of leadership and create this stress for an arguably small difference in skill is worth it? I doubt that high schoolers are wiser than him not realizing this fact.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a hater of Taki-sensei at all, I just refuse that he picked Mayu cause of skill, at this point I just feel bad for Mayu being on this state.

I’m confident that there is another reason of taki-sensei decision that lad to this pressure on the group for a valid reason, which we will get to know in next episodes.

Jun 2, 9:03 AM
Jan 2021
rip bozo fell off kumiko
Jun 2, 9:22 AM

May 2019
This is probably the tensest episode so far with how much discomfort and uneasiness amongst the club prior to Taki's sensei decision. This also marks the first clash or separation between Kumiko and Reina. Kumiko is definitely trying her best to be considerate and responsible presidents by looking out to the members asking their opinion on how they feel of the results. On the other hand Reina keep upholding her stance that Taki's sensei isn't wrong. I guess she loves sensei a little too much, blinded and holding the idea that it's for the best so the club could finally win the gold. Glad that Kanapi could be a cheeky light to break Kumiko a little out of her firmness. She's really a good kouhai looking for her beloved senpai. Kumiko should start questioning on whether Reina is her true friend or not at this point. Really interested to see if there will be a full blown earnest argumentation between them in the future.
VivaceRexJun 2, 9:43 AM

Jun 2, 9:33 AM

Jul 2014
I swear to God almighty if Kumiko in the upcoming episode will be the one to admit Reina was right all along I will smite this bitch to hell. As much as I dislike Mayu which she fckin couldnt even read the atmosphere this episode, Reina was just downright sucking everything Taki does, I swear if Taki becomes a serial killer she’d still breathe all over his shit, this girl is just so down bad for him that you cant take anything she says seriously or you’ll end up being as stupid as her. So much for a best friend she couldnt even console Kumiko during all this, rather than cheer her up she fckin decided to take it upon herself to even call Kumiko out and say she’s a failure as a president, when we all saw how much she was juggling everything and while I wouldnt say she’s done her job perfectly she is far from being a failure.
I like Midori’s thoughts on this, if what she says is true, that Kumiko and Mayu does have almost the same level of playing then Taki should have just went with Kumiko. This isnt just hurting the club’s moral and Kumiko but also Mayu, the pressure this girl must be feeling.

All of this is Taki’s fault, no matter what his reason may be he single handedly ripped the club in half.

I know all this is for drama since drama is this series’ main catch, but man it gets you rilled up sometimes.
Jun 2, 9:37 AM
Mar 2015
The trust in Taki sensei is crumbling and it will be hard for Kumiko to remain as president
Jun 2, 9:56 AM
Aug 2021
This week has seen major girl’s drama in anime, Yoru No Kurage, Girls Band Cry (though already resolved), now this, next week feels like it’s going be a long one
Jun 2, 10:54 AM

Jul 2016
Another slow episode after a major banger from last week.

Kanade taking it well is a surprise. Her concerns are very much reflected in the rest of the club members especially those in her year and have only known Taki sensei for a while and haven't fully lent themselves to him.

You know what? Mayu did nothing wrong and I'm voicing my support for her. I'm happy that Tsubame reassured her that she's got the quality to perform and that not everyone in the band is out to get her.

Honestly this weeks drama is a Reina L and a rare Shuuichi W. Reina experiences music basically as a part of herself and applies that standard to everyone but people just think differently. Losing 2 years in a row must have really had an impact on her. But it's still really immature to take things out on the other band members and telling them they should feel sorry for themselves. Jeez have some basic empathy, girl. Even the capable members are questioning things and you're just ignoring them. I'm glad we got to see the section leaders' meeting and them voicing their concerns on the club's morale and see them challenging Reina's view. Kumiko needs to decide what's best for the club based on the reality she sees in front of her because she is ultimately the President. I just wish Shuuichi's position as Vice President of the club was utilized more and it's honestly a big miss from KyoAni.

Not too much this week just people dealing with fallout. I'm glad Kumiko had the balls to question Taki sensei at the end of the episode. Just worried that's going to take the whole episode to resolve because the pacing of this season is very strange.

Jun 2, 11:06 AM
Jan 2020
vai se criando um clima terrível
Jun 2, 11:15 AM

Aug 2022
I love Kumiko and Kanade’s dynamic. They have one of the best friendships in the show imo

And I mean hey I trust taki, like kanade said maybe the third years (and myself) are blinded by there faith they’ve had in him over the last 3 years.

But I mean I trust him.

That scene with Kumiko and Suuichi was cute

Mayu is annoying af ngl, you got the role be proud of your abilities and take it and stop pestering Kumiko

Definitely happy that Kumiko has gone to talk with taki. I’m curious how that will go. Idk if what Reina said at the end to Kumiko was true or not or if she’s just blinded by her love for Taki
Phantom_373Jun 2, 11:49 AM
Jun 2, 11:27 AM
Aug 2017
Reply to pedro_css
vai se criando um clima terrível
@pedro_css genial kkkkkkk
Jun 2, 12:10 PM
Sep 2015
Reina is so riding Taki sensei's D. Reina should understand hard work and effort would only bring you to a certain level and people would always have questions especially if things are left unclear. Reina is like my Forward teammate in highschool football, she feels like people don't put the same amount of effort because their efforts don't get the same results as her. Rare Shuichi W this episode thinking about the mood of the team and looking forward to the future years when they leave highschool.
Jun 2, 12:13 PM

Aug 2020
Today's episode is truly amazing. Lots of emotions, a beautiful colorful setting with so much heart... Things really got tough now with the results.

Reina and Kumiko parting ways was difficult to accept. Mayu has a good intention, but the feeling of pity always makes the target feel really bad.

Amazing. I hope for a happy and satisfying closing.

Jun 2, 1:08 PM
Mar 2018
This episode feels like a study in how one decision can impact a group, pushing friends in different directions. I thought the characterization work, as well as the snippets of how various members of the ensemble reacted to Kumiko not getting the solo, were brilliant. I was enthralled the whole way through.

Reina and Kumiko's falling out felt like a punch in the gut.
Jun 2, 1:52 PM

Nov 2019
There's a reason Hazuki was once in my favourites. She's so emotionally strong despite being fragile. Here she simply showed her unwavering attitude.

Reina is struggling with Taki sensei. The main thing is she never saw Kumiko's audition, so just being a Taki simp isn't the reason. Maybe she wanted Kumiko to be a strong leader when she is faltering, but sensing her uncertainty brought out the typical Paina response.

Also Shuichi got screentime! It will be great if he's part of the cast who brings back Reina's inner fire.

Despite all the predictable drama, this episode still has some freshness to it.
"All truth is meaningless. In the end, 'meaning' comes from the mind of each individual human. Even when there is a single truth, it can mean different things to different individuals. The truth has no meaning in itself!" - Erika Furudo
Jun 2, 2:11 PM

Nov 2021
How are they gonna wrap this up in 4 episodes? Surely this isn't the finale?
Jun 2, 2:15 PM
Sep 2017
This season suffers a lot probably due to the lack of personality from the protagonist, Kumiko. She is THE definition of go with the flow and probably the worst choice for a president. I mean, she handle Shuichi's confession with "we'd figure this out a year later, ok?".

Mayu patronizing way of telling others how good she is, would have been stop by Asuka immediately. But Kumiko just let her go on and on and accidentally hurting people over and over again.

The friendship between Kumiko and Reina has always been one sided, with Reina being the headstrong one and Kumiko agreeing on almost everything. And this leads to Reina saying that some band members, including Kumiko didn't work hard enough.

They need to understand agreeing on everything with everyone will not solve anything. On the other hand, not everyone can be as single minded as you are.

Hopefully both of them will grow up and not resulted in Reina sleeping with Taki, then sacrifice the entire band to become a music god. Actually that would be way more entertaining than what we have now.
Jun 2, 2:39 PM

Feb 2014
This was one of the tensest episodes that I've seen in a while. Predictable in some parts, not so in others, but it was very gripping with how it handled the aftermath of the announcements for the upcoming competition.

For starters, Kanade handled herself better than almost anyone else in the music club, especially after she missed out on competing. She did vent and admitted it as such, but she was at peace with the result for herself, while still enjoying her talk with Kumiko that felt relaxing. After that, the relaxing feeling swiftly got kicked to a nearby bin and the tension rose again in full force.

Seeing how the other members of the club thought about the result and voicing their opinion about it all was captivating to say at least. I was glad that Kumiko did set the record straight with Mayu, as Mayu herself was still being too overly considerate once more, but it was only the start of more issues coming at Kumiko's way. She's almost stuck between a rock and a hard place in being the president while trying to keep the club's morale at a decent level, which felt like a losing battle for her, along with everyone else.

However, the toughest issue for her was with Reina. Seeing and hearing others in the club openly question Taki's decisions has made her seethe in annoyance, but how she tried to deal with things the way she does, for me, only makes things worse. It was even to the point that she couldn't stand being around with Kumiko, Midori and Hazuki after the latter two also voiced their opinions about Taki's judgement. To top things off, Kumiko and Reina's stand-off at the bridge only succeeded in fracturing their friendship, with Reina going as far as to call Kumiko a terrible president. I won't deny, out of all of the characters in this series, Reina is the one who needs to improve the most as how she reacted and interacted to others around her shows how immature she is. =/

It does make me feel glad that Kumiko finally mustered the courage to ask Taki at the end of the episode, so hopefully she'll find out his reasoning for his choices for the upcoming competition. I still see things being tough for Kumiko, but I do hope things will work out for the better for herself and the whole club.
Jun 2, 3:29 PM

Jul 2021
A wonderful "dealing with the fallout" episode.

I expected Kumiko to take the bad news pretty well, and she did. She takes music seriously and has always taken the role of club president seriously, regardless of her own personal feelings. But at the same time, it was heartwarming to watch Kumiko struggle through her own disappointment and awkwardly try to keep the peace; great voicework and characterization.

I expected Kumiko to have a harder time dealing with other people's reactions rather than her own, and that was also true. I liked how the show spent time with Kanade, Shuuichi, Midori and Hazuki, showing their viewpoints and some surprising sides to their characters.

Kumiko failed to handle this 100% gracefully and keep the club morale high, and that was also nice to see. Someone like Asuka or even Natsuki might have tackled this problem head-on and made this go down more easily. But Kumiko isn't like that, and I'm interested to see how she would resolve this.

Sadly, I was a little disappointed with how the show handled Reina. I think her viewpoint of trusting the expert's judgment is valid. I also liked how Reina looked hurt when Kumiko actually agreed with her during the argument between Shuuichi, Reina and Kumiko. As if she wanted Kumiko to assert her opinion more confidently, whether she agrees with that opinion or not. Or maybe she wanted Kumiko to be more proactive and offer to talk to the teacher. But considering the final confrontation between the two, I guess Reina was just disappointed there that Kumiko did not give her her full support.

Reina's declaration that Kumiko is a failure was needlessly hurtful and frankly out-of-character. I can't recall Reina ever asserting that the club president's job is to follow the instructor without question. I can only remember her saying that club members shouldn't badmouth or undermine the instructor, and that she herself trusted him; I don't remember her expressing an opinion about how Kumiko sees him. It's not like Kumiko outright rejected and rebelled against his decisions either, she just said she had some questions.

The falling-out between Kumiko and Reina was just surprisingly blunt and sudden, when other characters' reactions felt more reasonable and believable. I hope Reina (and the show) acknowledge how weird and mean-spirited that comment was, or at least expand on what exactly she meant by it.

As for the teacher, I expect him to give Kumiko good reasons for his decisions, but also to be dealing with some issues in his personal life or musical career. In the end, I think Kumiko will be encouraged (or pushed) to step up and take on a bigger role in competition prep and club atmosphere.
Jun 2, 4:11 PM

May 2015
Was happy to see that Kanade was able to take it on the chin. Can't wait for next week and
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

DarkHumor04 - Jun 30

204 by defaulticus »»
Oct 14, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

IzanaSolos - Jun 23

340 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:51 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

IzanaSolos - Jun 16

90 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:38 PM

Poll: » Hibike! Euphonium 3 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Jun 9

95 by Joshhhp »»
Oct 10, 1:24 PM

» About this season

TEMPEST_1 - Sep 30

6 by TEMPEST_1 »»
Sep 30, 10:53 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.