Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Dec 26, 2023 5:20 PM

Jul 2016
Drama based on the dumbest of misunderstandings that ends in content for a whole episode. You love to see it.

Also:
Jinshi doesn't want to see Maomao as an object ▶▶▶ Jinshi buys her anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So Maomao has an owner now, huh?
Dec 26, 2023 6:39 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Jinshi was so depressed from letting Maomao go that he ends up buying her out with gold and strange plants.

He's definitely fallen for her.
Dec 27, 2023 1:52 AM
Oct 2019
Damn the indirect kiss.
Dec 27, 2023 4:08 AM
Apr 2023
It kinda felt like filler.
Dec 27, 2023 4:32 AM

May 2015
Seeing Mao Mao reminds her memories with nostalgia is so much feeling.
Dec 27, 2023 12:16 PM

Jun 2019
silent_lurker said:
ugh oh were doing into the pedophilia realm pls pump the brakes

Nothing of the sort was depicted or even insinuated in this episode. There weren't even any young kids depicted in this episode except in brief snippets like that would-be assassin girl at the brothel in the flashback to a previous episode.

And if you're referring to anything involving Maomao, she's like 17 at this point in the story (don't recall if it was mentioned explicitly, but it's known and been stated by readers of the novel and is in her character bio page on MAL), so nothing involving her would remotely qualify as that and it's absurd to suggest such. Least of all for anything to do with a romance with a guy who's like a few years older than her. Misusing and abusing that word only serves to dilute its impact for usage in genuine cases where actually appropriate and applicable.
WatchTillTandavaDec 27, 2023 12:23 PM
Dec 28, 2023 4:24 AM
Aug 2016
another beautifull cap
Dec 28, 2023 10:56 AM

Mar 2020
A while outside the inner palace had Maomao reminiscing, and Maomao and Jinshi's relationship continues to build...

The aftermath of Fengming's execution led to Maomao being let go from the inner palace due to her having interacted with her. It seemed like a pretty heavy-handed move to do, firing everyone who had any sort of dealings with them. As such, Maomao worked in the pleasure district for a while with the courtesans, but of course, Jinshi was there to surprise everyone and buy Maomao out, likely to return to the inner palace.

The first cour has ended and it has been such a treat to watch this wonderful series so far. It has undoubtedly been one of the best shows this season in terms of its mystery, comedy, and its parallels to Chinese history and culture. The animation and music have been top tier, and Maomao makes the show so much better, and full credit to Aoi Yuuki, her voice actor, for nailing her role perfectly. I'm definitely looking forward to the second cour in the new year!
Dec 28, 2023 2:24 PM
Dec 2017
last 2 episodes been quite the emotional ride and was great!
Dec 28, 2023 6:10 PM
Apr 2018
wholesome end of an arc
Dec 29, 2023 1:05 AM
Nov 2022
really enjoying this so far...
Dec 29, 2023 7:18 AM

Jan 2017
That was the sweetest, cutest and closest those two had ever been! Daaaaang my heart!!! 😍😭😍😭😍😭😍😭😍😭😍😭😍😭
Looking forward to more wholesome moments between Jinshi and Maomao!
Dec 29, 2023 8:11 AM

Feb 2021
Favourite episode so far! I also liked the song played when Maomao's rear palace memories were shown. Maomao is really looking very beautiful in the next episode preview. I'm excited to watch further episodes and Maomao's outer palace journey.
Dec 29, 2023 3:47 PM

Mar 2022
Reply to SouthRzVa
Drama based on the dumbest of misunderstandings that ends in content for a whole episode. You love to see it.

Also:
Jinshi doesn't want to see Maomao as an object ▶▶▶ Jinshi buys her anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So Maomao has an owner now, huh?
@SouthRzVa I dont think its as black and white as that. Jinshi is effectively buying her freedom and giving her a lot more privilege so she doesn't have to work as an attendant if she doesn't want, she doesn't have to pay off Madam for Lihaku's nights at the Verdigris house, she can do whatever she would like with Jinshi buying her out, and I'm assuming this will include poisons and medicinal things, as these are what she likes and he gives her a strange plant at the end of the episode. The story is a palace mystery type, but it also looks at the divide between commoner and noble, and what its like to be a woman during these times, which is either you have sex, you are someones wife, you're a courtesan, or you're worthless it seems. Jinshi knows Maomao will just go as life takes her, try to stay out of trouble, and try to do the things she likes in between. Maomao isn't a pushover, but she's smart and knows when to lean back and not make too much of an issue, knowing that doing that will most likely lead to a worse outcome down the line. What I'm trying to say is, Maomao will never really push to do what she wants. She's delighted if she's able to, but she never truly goes out of her way unless someone is in life threatening danger and she knows her skills will save them. Jinshi wants to give her the free will she normally would never have to explore more medicines, more poisons and their effects, and he can do that by buying her, but I truly don't think Jinshi would ever consider him her "master", or she his "servant". He and she both know thats how they will be viewed, but he seems to hold a lot of respect for her as a person, and wants to indulge her in the things that make her happy. He also wants to indulge himself in the things that make him happy as well, and that seems to be flustering Maomao, hehe. ^^ I know you probably didn't mean anything by your comment, and I know I've typed far too much already, but I just wanted to offer my two cents after seeing this comment. I don't mean to disrespect you at all, and I'm sorry if I've come off this way! ^^:
Dec 29, 2023 10:54 PM

May 2015
this episode felt like 80% filler but still good
Dec 30, 2023 2:29 AM

Jun 2019
bitronic said:
I dont think its as black and white as that. Jinshi is effectively buying her freedom and giving her a lot more privilege so she doesn't have to work as an attendant if she doesn't want, she doesn't have to pay off Madam for Lihaku's nights at the Verdigris house, she can do whatever she would like with Jinshi buying her out, and I'm assuming this will include poisons and medicinal things, as these are what she likes and he gives her a strange plant at the end of the episode. The story is a palace mystery type, but it also looks at the divide between commoner and noble, and what its like to be a woman during these times, which is either you have sex, you are someones wife, you're a courtesan, or you're worthless it seems. Jinshi knows Maomao will just go as life takes her, try to stay out of trouble, and try to do the things she likes in between. Maomao isn't a pushover, but she's smart and knows when to lean back and not make too much of an issue, knowing that doing that will most likely lead to a worse outcome down the line. What I'm trying to say is, Maomao will never really push to do what she wants. She's delighted if she's able to, but she never truly goes out of her way unless someone is in life threatening danger and she knows her skills will save them. Jinshi wants to give her the free will she normally would never have to explore more medicines, more poisons and their effects, and he can do that by buying her, but I truly don't think Jinshi would ever consider him her "master", or she his "servant". He and she both know thats how they will be viewed, but he seems to hold a lot of respect for her as a person, and wants to indulge her in the things that make her happy. He also wants to indulge himself in the things that make him happy as well, and that seems to be flustering Maomao, hehe. ^^ I know you probably didn't mean anything by your comment, and I know I've typed far too much already, but I just wanted to offer my two cents after seeing this comment. I don't mean to disrespect you at all, and I'm sorry if I've come off this way! ^^:

What you've just said is articulate, it is intelligent, and it is logical.

More of such comments exploring in-depth the perspective of characters in their own subjective perspective in terms of how they view themselves in isolate and in relation to each other in the context of the world/setting in which they inhabit and operate in, and all associated constraints - or at least one potential, well-reasoned, interpretation of such, is exactly what is needed and enriches the quality of reading and discussion on the forum as a whole. You seem to excel both in general media literacy and in The Apothecary Diaries/Kusuriya no Hitorigoto-specific literacy and it is laudable.
WatchTillTandavaDec 30, 2023 2:34 AM
Dec 30, 2023 4:00 AM

Mar 2022
Reply to WatchTillTandava
bitronic said:
I dont think its as black and white as that. Jinshi is effectively buying her freedom and giving her a lot more privilege so she doesn't have to work as an attendant if she doesn't want, she doesn't have to pay off Madam for Lihaku's nights at the Verdigris house, she can do whatever she would like with Jinshi buying her out, and I'm assuming this will include poisons and medicinal things, as these are what she likes and he gives her a strange plant at the end of the episode. The story is a palace mystery type, but it also looks at the divide between commoner and noble, and what its like to be a woman during these times, which is either you have sex, you are someones wife, you're a courtesan, or you're worthless it seems. Jinshi knows Maomao will just go as life takes her, try to stay out of trouble, and try to do the things she likes in between. Maomao isn't a pushover, but she's smart and knows when to lean back and not make too much of an issue, knowing that doing that will most likely lead to a worse outcome down the line. What I'm trying to say is, Maomao will never really push to do what she wants. She's delighted if she's able to, but she never truly goes out of her way unless someone is in life threatening danger and she knows her skills will save them. Jinshi wants to give her the free will she normally would never have to explore more medicines, more poisons and their effects, and he can do that by buying her, but I truly don't think Jinshi would ever consider him her "master", or she his "servant". He and she both know thats how they will be viewed, but he seems to hold a lot of respect for her as a person, and wants to indulge her in the things that make her happy. He also wants to indulge himself in the things that make him happy as well, and that seems to be flustering Maomao, hehe. ^^ I know you probably didn't mean anything by your comment, and I know I've typed far too much already, but I just wanted to offer my two cents after seeing this comment. I don't mean to disrespect you at all, and I'm sorry if I've come off this way! ^^:

What you've just said is articulate, it is intelligent, and it is logical.

More of such comments exploring in-depth the perspective of characters in their own subjective perspective in terms of how they view themselves in isolate and in relation to each other in the context of the world/setting in which they inhabit and operate in, and all associated constraints - or at least one potential, well-reasoned, interpretation of such, is exactly what is needed and enriches the quality of reading and discussion on the forum as a whole. You seem to excel both in general media literacy and in The Apothecary Diaries/Kusuriya no Hitorigoto-specific literacy and it is laudable.
@WatchTillTandava Aaah! Thank you so much, I was so nervous posting this little review in reply to one persons comment, but I felt it was important to me to voice my opinions on something that mattered to me, especially when I felt they might have been misinterpreting the characters. Thank you for the kind compliment! It really made my day! ^w^ <3
Dec 30, 2023 2:00 PM

Jul 2016
Reply to bitronic
@SouthRzVa I dont think its as black and white as that. Jinshi is effectively buying her freedom and giving her a lot more privilege so she doesn't have to work as an attendant if she doesn't want, she doesn't have to pay off Madam for Lihaku's nights at the Verdigris house, she can do whatever she would like with Jinshi buying her out, and I'm assuming this will include poisons and medicinal things, as these are what she likes and he gives her a strange plant at the end of the episode. The story is a palace mystery type, but it also looks at the divide between commoner and noble, and what its like to be a woman during these times, which is either you have sex, you are someones wife, you're a courtesan, or you're worthless it seems. Jinshi knows Maomao will just go as life takes her, try to stay out of trouble, and try to do the things she likes in between. Maomao isn't a pushover, but she's smart and knows when to lean back and not make too much of an issue, knowing that doing that will most likely lead to a worse outcome down the line. What I'm trying to say is, Maomao will never really push to do what she wants. She's delighted if she's able to, but she never truly goes out of her way unless someone is in life threatening danger and she knows her skills will save them. Jinshi wants to give her the free will she normally would never have to explore more medicines, more poisons and their effects, and he can do that by buying her, but I truly don't think Jinshi would ever consider him her "master", or she his "servant". He and she both know thats how they will be viewed, but he seems to hold a lot of respect for her as a person, and wants to indulge her in the things that make her happy. He also wants to indulge himself in the things that make him happy as well, and that seems to be flustering Maomao, hehe. ^^ I know you probably didn't mean anything by your comment, and I know I've typed far too much already, but I just wanted to offer my two cents after seeing this comment. I don't mean to disrespect you at all, and I'm sorry if I've come off this way! ^^:
@bitronic Honestly, I don't take this show so seriously so I only comment the very few thoughts that cross my mind after finishing each episode. From a narrative perspective, I just find it odd/cheap that all this ended up being the result of a very silly misunderstanding between two people with fairly decent communication skills. It just feels like an "excuse" to add an extra layer of "spice" to Maomao and Jinshi's relationship, which I'm not really fan of but that's just me.

That said, I appreciate your respectful comment. And yes, I have no intention of triggering anyone with my posts. They can simple ignore them for all I care.
So don't feel nervous and comment whatever you feel like to commenting on this site ^^
By the way, I wish you a happy end of the year!
Dec 30, 2023 2:13 PM

Mar 2020
who would have thought that this show would be this good
Dec 30, 2023 11:15 PM
Feb 2018
It baited me into thinking the series was a 12 episode one and I was sad. Need more of the cute girl who gets way too excited about poisoning herself.
Dec 31, 2023 6:06 AM

Apr 2009
Gyokuyou's "You're going to regret this." face telling Jinshi off. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Dec 31, 2023 7:01 AM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Some of those stills in the courtesan party scene were brutal. We also got a re-used scenes montage. I guess they were cutting some costs this episode. Even still, a cost-cutting mediocre episode of Apothecary is still more enjoyable than most episodes on a weekly basis. The insert song during the montage was really nice. Glad to see Jinshi come through there at the end. I was never more happy to see him. Maomao in the brothel district/area would make for a very disappointing second half of the show.
Dec 31, 2023 11:34 AM
Jun 2023
Its so cute i would recommend it to anyone if they even watch anime
Dec 31, 2023 12:47 PM

May 2018
I gave this a try and it is pretty good i must say

"Don't give up after failing just twice.
We'll be able to do it next time.
Failure is the stepping stone to success."

Jan 1, 5:47 PM
Nov 2023
just a bit too much of reminiscing ad not much plot advancement. I NEED TO KONW MORE
Jan 1, 9:15 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Ah forgot with the paperwork cover about Maomao family that used a kidnapping family as her cover, turned its a merchant and its actually connected to Fengming business of apiary. Not to mention they decided to do a mass layoffs regarding the situation of Fengming and its sure hits Maomao position as well. Even after Jinshi having a complicated rethought about it, Maomao still getting kicked out of the rear palace, because, they all just dumb...

But the twist of fate cannot leave Maomao that fast. She served Jinshi inside those big party, some little flirt left and right, ended up with such a surprising deal. He bought Maomao away from the brothel and positioning her onto those court? Back to the palace again, huh? Hmm, what kind of case Maomao need to handle again in her new workplace?

Even if its actually quite weird with the plot development but still really looking forward to see the next cour.
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Jan 2, 12:00 AM

Oct 2009
Welp there went the budget. Time for "slideshow" anime. The party scene could have been really cool...if they bothered to you know animate it...
Error 547: No keyboard detected, press F12 for options.

Jan 2, 8:46 AM

May 2019
Yeah this episode wasn't a great finale but luckily we're getting the 2nd cour within a week. In particular I was a bit annoyed that both Maomao and Jinshi couldn't read each other when Maomao implied she'd rather stay but she wasn't clear herself, and Jinshi could've asked her what exactly she would prefer.

But at the end the day it worked out and on that note someone said that Gaoshun set up the party, which if true he's a great assistant (but he was probably more tired of Jinshi moping around lol).
Jan 2, 8:00 PM
Nov 2018
Thought it was neatly done all in all. Not a great mid season finale but tastefully done.
Jan 2, 10:22 PM
Jan 2012
Reply to Tsarius
It baited me into thinking the series was a 12 episode one and I was sad. Need more of the cute girl who gets way too excited about poisoning herself.
@Tsarius Dude this is like, my favorite part of this anime NGL. Maomao's whimsy captivates me. Everything else just builds upon it. Really stand out protagonist. Especially love the way that she's not really? Shy or modest due to her norm growing up, yet she's entirely disinterested all the same.

Her interest in poison just really makes this anime so much more fun.
Jan 2, 10:23 PM
Jan 2012
Reply to KingYoshi
Some of those stills in the courtesan party scene were brutal. We also got a re-used scenes montage. I guess they were cutting some costs this episode. Even still, a cost-cutting mediocre episode of Apothecary is still more enjoyable than most episodes on a weekly basis. The insert song during the montage was really nice. Glad to see Jinshi come through there at the end. I was never more happy to see him. Maomao in the brothel district/area would make for a very disappointing second half of the show.
@KingYoshi Agreed, really happy that Jinshi came for her. I was still gonna stick it out if she stayed and just see where the direction went, but I'd miss all the dynamics among the emperor's courtesans.
Jan 2, 10:26 PM
Jan 2012
Reply to Alfredo-Sauce
Yeah this episode wasn't a great finale but luckily we're getting the 2nd cour within a week. In particular I was a bit annoyed that both Maomao and Jinshi couldn't read each other when Maomao implied she'd rather stay but she wasn't clear herself, and Jinshi could've asked her what exactly she would prefer.

But at the end the day it worked out and on that note someone said that Gaoshun set up the party, which if true he's a great assistant (but he was probably more tired of Jinshi moping around lol).
@Alfredo-Sauce The amount of times Jinshi misreads Maomao because he just assumes she feels trapped despite her obvious delight in her tasks is wild to me. Like dude, catch a hint LMFAO girl is obsessed with being a taste tester for sure.
I understand Maomao's misunderstandings more if only because Jinshi is definitely in a position of power over her and it's easy for her to have more reason to be stuck in her head with things.

He has all the leeway to get clear communication vs. she's a servant, yaknow? Bro should just be blunt.
Jan 3, 9:40 AM
Jul 2021
More beauty of maomao and the romance can't wait!
Jan 3, 10:57 AM
Dec 2023
Really good episode
Jan 3, 11:48 AM
Sep 2022
Bro, I haven't binged any anime in about a year, and this anime has got me that hype back, making me love anime once again—something I had almost forgotten...
Jan 3, 2:55 PM
Sep 2016
Am i to believe that Maomao didn't recognize Jinshi immediatly at the party lol. Not only is he visually distinct but she spent SO much time avoiding him she should recognize his silhouette
Jan 3, 4:18 PM
Aug 2019
Exciting! I am wondering 13 episode.
Jan 3, 7:11 PM
Jul 2020
Jinshi really do be flexing that sexual harassment rizz
Jan 4, 6:59 AM
Oct 2023
realy interesting theme
Jan 4, 2:53 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Free finally or ...not!!!
Hilarious the end of episode!!!
kekeke
Jan 4, 3:56 PM
Jul 2022
woooooooo nevadoooo
Jan 5, 3:09 AM
Apr 2023
Pleasant to watch, and also super funny
Jan 5, 3:25 PM

Jan 2022
How does Xiaolan know all the gossip? That's crazy! Poor Jinshi doesn't want to lose Maomao, its sweet that he gave her to decide if she wants to go. But then he goes against his and Maomao's wishes. Jinshi's expression when she said "yet" was hilarious. The indirect kiss ahhh, that was so smooth. Ugh I love this anime. When do we get to learn more about the dad? Regardless, I'm annoyed that Maomao didn't just say she wanted to stay. This is 100% on her. Buuut all is good because Maomao and the old lady were bribed af. That was such a good scene. This episode was like 10 minutes long wtf. I was excited to watch 2 episodes but then I find out no episode was released last week :( I just wanna binge it, having to wait each week for an episode is killing me!!
This never updates so that's cool
Jan 7, 12:53 AM

Jan 2021
Awwww that finger kiss scene!!! not only did Maomao blush but so did I! :3 she and her onee-chan did look so pretty ♡♡

In the end Jinshi bought Maomao back from the brothel, hahaha. The preview of the next scene looks interesting~

Jan 7, 12:58 AM

Oct 2019
So Jinshi now owns Mao Mao? Did she really owe that much to the old hag? All that money just to have Lihaku get shagged(?) with her older "sisters" in exchange for giving her a leave for a few days?

Or did she owe her more from earlier? Introducing Lihaku to them in turn led to Lihaku introducing them to that rich guy the place of whom all three "Princesses" attended, getting a crapload of money on top of what Jinshi gave the hag.

Didn't that count against Mao Mao's debt? Is there anything that does not create debt in this world?

The concept of massive collective punishment for the choices of a single woman is also weird, to put it mildly. Mao Mao getting fired due to being... abducted by one of the families that was connected to... the family of Fengming?

What if that woman was connected or acquainted with the entire capital? Would they have punished everyone?

Perhaps the entire thing was a plot device to get Mao Mao closer to Jinshi...
SharpedonJan 7, 1:02 AM
Jan 7, 1:37 AM

Oct 2017
That indirect kiss, so sweet wow. The misunderstanding though damn, glad it was over soon. Jinshi buying Maomao, nice.
Jan 7, 1:02 PM
Nov 2023
I'm in love w Jinshi
Jan 10, 1:58 AM

Apr 2019
Jinshi buys Maomao out from the brothel let's goooooooooooo
Jan 14, 6:18 PM

Jun 2014
Well, Maomao won't be in debt to the brothel anymore, and she really wants to go back to the rear palace, so I guess it's for the best.

Jan 15, 7:36 AM
Nov 2017
just too good, every episode is perfect
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 23

287 by Myrrahsm »»
3 hours ago

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Feb 17

257 by Scootboi »»
Yesterday, 7:14 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Softhenic03 - Oct 28, 2023

211 by kitsumasterzero »»
Sep 26, 1:50 PM

» This anime has no romance right?

Antera - Mar 27

19 by Merve2Love »»
Sep 25, 3:02 PM

Poll: » Kusuriya no Hitorigoto Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

KANLen09 - Oct 21, 2023

214 by kitsumasterzero »»
Sep 25, 1:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.