Forum Settings
Forums

Can Anime Dub Performances Change How You See a Character?

New
Jan 4, 5:49 AM
Apr 2022
Do you feel that an anime dub performance can have an effect on how people see a character?
Jan 4, 5:51 AM

Feb 2020
"Can Anime Dub Performances Change How You See a Character?"

Well, not for me, I guess.
Jan 4, 5:55 AM

Oct 2018
Yes. Mischaracterization is one of the reasons I am against dubbing. It happens a lot in the dubs in my country.
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Jan 4, 6:03 AM

Sep 2016
How is this even a question, you could make a poll and probably get 100% yes.
This dance is the pinnacle of human achievement.
Jan 4, 7:07 AM

Feb 2018
Of course, dubbing in general changes how you see a character. Marvel movies for example are extremely popular in the international box office. If foreign viewers watched the Avengers movie with their own dub instead of the English dub, they would completely miss out on Robert Downey Jr.'s performance as Ironman. I'd say animation is even bigger because the voice acting is all you have.
Jan 4, 7:38 AM
Jun 2019
Yes for sure. For me the voice acting is such a big part of the character.
Jan 4, 7:51 AM

Jun 2017
Definitely. I doubt i'd feel like i do about my Mai Valentine if she were voiced by anyone else. And now, any time i hear that woman's voice who did Mai, i immediately associate those characters with Mai.

Thank You, Megan.
My waifu is the most wonderful waifu. Mai Valentine.
Jan 4, 8:11 AM

Aug 2013
Yes, every dub is permanently altering all characters. Direction, language, culture and actors.
One of the many reason why dubs will be always inferior to original.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 4, 9:05 AM

Jul 2016
Would agree this feels pretty unanimous and obvious lol. (yes)
Jan 4, 11:28 AM

Oct 2017
Yes, in both good and bad ways. Here's some examples I can provide that shows this.

1. The English dub of Dragon Ball Z heavily mischaracterized Goku into being a more virtuous character and toning down his more selfish elements. Sean Schemmel's voice for the character also goes in a completely different direction, being a bit deeper and more aggressive sounding compared to Nozawa's more soft voice which better balances Goku's childlike side and serious side. Schemmel has gotten much better at voicing Goku and the scripts these days for Dragon Ball content is much more willing to show his faults in all language versions of the series, although quite a few people still have a preconceived notion of the sort of superhero Goku from that original dub.
  2. Yu-Gi-Oh's English dub, while not being the most accurate, adds a lot to the characterization of a lot of the characters by giving them a bit more wit and sarcasm. Almost every character has memorable one liners and trash talk in the dub that actually feels rather natural in the world of Yu-Gi-Oh considering that it is a world that revolves around a competitive card game, so of course there'd be a bit of trash talk. Eric Stuart's performance as Seto Kaiba is pretty iconic, not just for his one liners, but that cold and sarcastic delivery that just feels perfect for an asshole billionaire rival. Yu-Gi-Oh fans will constantly quote some of the great stuff that Kaiba says in the English dub because they're just that good.
  3. Mike Pollock's voice of Dr. Eggman in the Sonic X anime has pretty much become the definitive voice of the character ever since 4Kids released their dub of the show. Pollock is very good at hitting both the goofy and serious sides of the character and was just so good in the role, that Sonic Team decided to keep him as the English voice of the character permanently, even after the rest of the 4Kids cast were phased out of their roles in 2010. The Sonic series despite being made in Japan has always been more popular overseas, so it's not really too much a surprise that the dub actors would become pretty iconic. The only time in recent memory he hasn't voiced the character in English was in the Sonic Prime cartoon on Netflix, due to the show being produced in Canada and Canadian law not allowing more than a small percentage of all cast and crew to be non-Canadians.
  4. While not an anime (there are anime adaptations of the series however), the Persona games have had pretty iconic dub casts from Persona 3 onwards. The dubs have also done some pretty cool things with casting such as having Johnny Young Bosh voice both Yu Narukami and Adachi due to how much they parallel each other in certain ways. Pretty much any Persona fan will tell you that the dubs of 3 4 and 5 are pretty much the way to play due to how much the actors elevate the source material and how the dubbing staff take it seriously. Many iconic lines and memes from the dubs such as "Great Vegetables", "Delicious Pancakes", "I've Been waiting for this!", "Stupei Ace Defective", "FOR REAL?!?!?!?", and many others have shown how much the English cast's performances have had an impact on the fandom and how people grow attached to these characters. If you are so used to the dub voices it can be hard to go back to the Japanese with just how different the character's voices are, some of them being quite different. I for one really struggle to consume any Persona 4 content in Japanese just cuz it feels so off to what I am used to these characters sounding like and their vocal patterns that it is quite jarring the switch.
This post is brought to you by your local transfem gamer goblin. Will not tolerate bigotry and will fight against "anti-woke" sentiment to make the anime community a safer place.
Jan 4, 1:10 PM

Aug 2018
Dub actors usually ruin a character for me. Thats why I try to avoid hearing it if at all possible.
Jan 4, 1:16 PM

May 2022
Reply to Blackfire2340
Of course, dubbing in general changes how you see a character. Marvel movies for example are extremely popular in the international box office. If foreign viewers watched the Avengers movie with their own dub instead of the English dub, they would completely miss out on Robert Downey Jr.'s performance as Ironman. I'd say animation is even bigger because the voice acting is all you have.
@Blackfire2340 Uhm the french voice actor for ironman in the Marvel movies is pretty good. I think i like his voice better than the original.
Jan 4, 10:13 PM

Jun 2007
Given how many hardcore anime viewers proclaim that they never watch dubs, it's surprising how many of them complain if a dub features acting they don't like or localization decisions they don't agree with. Imagine being so triggered by something that has literally zero effect on you.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Jan 5, 12:53 AM
Jul 2018
Not for me as they ruin it. I heard a dub a few months ago which was accidentally released and it was cringe bad. Especially the women trying to be cute or a child.
Jan 5, 1:13 AM

Feb 2018
Reply to trinitroglycerin
@Blackfire2340 Uhm the french voice actor for ironman in the Marvel movies is pretty good. I think i like his voice better than the original.
@Rocknblock That’s great, but that still isn’t RDJ’s Ironman/Tony Stark, which is my point.
Jan 5, 1:16 AM

Oct 2016
Yes, a different voice and a different script can change the way you perceive a character.
Jan 5, 1:52 AM
Dec 2019
Dubs have caused me to drop a show before, gave me "the ick" as they say.
Jan 5, 1:55 PM

Jun 2020
Yes, just like with any dub/sub, it all depends on the performance of the voice actor and if they nail their character. Sometimes I prefer the dub actors (example: Dan Green as Atem, Steve Blum for Spike Spiegel), sometimes the sub ones (example: Romi Park for Kiryuuin Ragyou, Kenjirou Tsuda for Immortal Tatsu), or both (example: Patrick Seitz and Takehito Koyasu for Dio Brando).
TechnopunkJan 5, 2:13 PM

"Don't let your memes be dreams."- Ancient Japanese proverb, probably
Jan 5, 1:59 PM

May 2021
It probably will to a certain extent. Thats why I never watch dub
Jan 5, 2:11 PM

Mar 2023
Yes it changes how i see certain characters.
Jan 5, 2:18 PM

Nov 2019
Steve Blum for Spike Spiegel is a pretty clear example of that. The original VA was going for a Lupin III vibe with Spike. Much prefer it dubbed, so it can be a nice thing sometimes, but it also could sadly ruin a character.
Don't let others ruin things for you. Even if a toxic fan pisses in your cereal, you could just get another bowl of cereal.
My Anime List - My Manga List
Jan 6, 4:39 PM
Mar 2017
I think so. Not just because of the voice/accent but also the words. Subtitles and dub voices I put on both with physical releases to see what each says and the type of character they are portraying via both.

But I think their personality/emotional expressions besides visuals can be noticeable.

Localisation of text and spoken for sure besides the original or conveying localised the original intent.

I mean if they are a gyaru are they still keeping them a jersey girl or whatever that type of character was intended as.

Or are they only looks wise then acting wise. I question this in some series with more what I assume are the looks but very cool type gyarus versus the ones that are more nice but are also still looks wise that fashion. It does make me wonder. Doesn't bother me but it does make me go huh I guess it's .ore than that and it is just the looks but not character personality is that narrow? No idea.

Any soft spoken characters getting angry. But do they stay soft or cha ge?

When you get some actors having a more Moe mode voice (as in with the more chibi visuals or when it's a character that's supposed to be very sweet but in other situations very serious that type of thing) and a regular/serious voice for the character is always interesting.

Any rad dudes jumping between perspectives of situations and words.

Whatever the case.
Suntanned_Duck2Jan 6, 4:44 PM
Jan 6, 4:53 PM

Sep 2018
Most certainly. I haven't watched a lot of anime in both sub and dub, but I started Yu Yu Hakusho with the dub, with how much overall praise it seemed to get. I switched to sub after about 8-9 episodes as the dub was shit like they almost always are if you don't grow up with them, and the biggest example was Kuwabara. He went from an annoying clown to the funniest character in the show thanks to his voice and the execution.
Jan 7, 3:37 AM
Dec 2023
Dubbing does affect your impressions of a character, however, it's not always for the worse as people make it out to be. Dubs can be for the better as well, I've found the anime's setting to influence how good a dub will be most of the time. For example, the Black Butler dub was good because it's set in Victorian-era London and the VAs did a good job on the British and Irish accents, also, the dialogue improved and was appropriate to the setting. Hellsing, Black Lagoon, Code Geass also have good dubs... even Steins Gate which I found extremely boring (just my personal opinion no need to get angry) had a good dub that kept me watching till ep 17.
Jan 7, 7:03 AM

Jun 2023
Ofc it can and i'm sensitive with it. So i prefer the original source (japanese) when watching it. I know they do their best when doing anime dub, but it just not for me and i'm really sorry for them.

More topics from this board

» Which anime character would you most like to have a philosophical debate with?

Wendoka - 2 hours ago

8 by SeleneOnTheMoon »»
1 minute ago

» Which female anime character has the best drip?

Anjuro - 2 hours ago

9 by Zarutaku »»
2 minutes ago

» Write your takes in anime and I'll prove you're incorrect, part 2.

Gashadokur0 - 17 minutes ago

1 by Theo1899 »»
9 minutes ago

» Hottest Adult Characters in anime?

RedTea33 - Yesterday

21 by alshu »»
21 minutes ago

» Are there any anime that you think should have ended sooner?

Anjuro - May 26

31 by Anjuro »»
32 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.